As early as 1916 the Ezras Noshem Society (a mutual benefit society for Jewish women) started to raise funds to purchase and renovate what would become The Toronto Jewish Old Folks' Home (Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care’s forerunner) after its members recognized the need for a home in Toronto where the Jewish elderly could receive kosher meals and communicate with staff in their own language. Property at 31 Cecil Street was purchased in 1917 and sometime between September 1918 and January 1920 the Home officially opened there. The Home was run by a small staff and the women of Ezras Noshem who volunteered their time to make beds, cook kosher meals, do laundry and sponsor fundraising events. By 1938 the Home had expanded into its neighboring houses at 29, 33, and 35 Cecil Street and was caring for 115 residents. It provided residents with synagogue services, a hospital ward and social activities. At this time the Home also became a member of the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
In 1946, the need for a larger and more modern building prompted a fundraising campaign, which was headed by Abe Posluns, to purchase and build a new facility. In December 1954, the new building opened at 3650 Bathurst Street and consisted of two new institutions: The Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital. This location continued to expand over the years, including a new building for residents in 1968, an apartment building for seniors called the Baycrest Terrace in 1976, and a community centre known as The Joseph E. and Minnie Wagman Centre in 1977. These additions enabled Baycrest to expand its programs to include a day care program, recreational programs, and a Sheltered Workshop which was run in cooperation with the Jewish Vocational Service and provided residents with employment. In 1986 a new Baycrest Hospital was erected, and in 1989, the Rotman Research Institute, which is also affiliated with the University of Toronto, opened to create a research facility where top researchers could study and find new treatment methods for the elderly.
In recent years, Baycrest’s services and programs have continued to expand. In 2000, the Apotex Centre, the Jewish Home for the Aged and the Louis and Leah Posluns Centre for Stroke and Cognition opened to help residents with progressive dementia caused by vascular disorders. In 2001 a condominium building opened at 2 Neptune Drive for seniors, and in 2003 the Sam and Ida Ross Memory Clinic was established to provide out-patient services for seniors with memory disorders. Baycrest Centre also provides numerous cultural and religious programs for the inhabitants and the greater community, including a heritage museum, art exhibits and a Holocaust program.
Records were donated to the OJA in a series of accessions from a variety of sources, including the Baycrest Women's Auxiliary and the Multicultural Historical Society of Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the history, governance, and activities of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, photographs, artifacts, constitutions, publications, press releases, financial records, event invitations, programs, a scrapbook, a poster, lists, theatrical scripts, newspaper clippings, brochures and booklets, flyers, a land deed, certificates, schedules, annual calendars, cards, questionnaires, and lists.
Fonds is arranged into eleven series: 1. Board of Directors and Executive Committee; 2. Annual General Meetings and Annual Reports; 3. Committees and meetings; 4. Women's Auxiliary; 5. Men's Service Group; 6. Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home; 7. Programs and services; 8. Religious services; 9. Fundraising; 10. Publications and publicity; and, 11. Events. Records are described to the file level with some item level descriptions.
Associated material note: related material at Library and Archives Canada includes a small Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds, and the Eric Exton fonds. For architectural records see the Irving D. Boigon fonds 243 at the City of Toronto Archives (Boigon was an architect who designed many of Baycrest's buildings between the 1970s and 1990s). Contact Baycrest Centre's Heritage Museum for committee records from the 1930s, and consult Baycrest's website to access electronic copies of current issues of Baycrest's publications.
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care
Ezras Noshem Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Old age homes
See Gordon Mendly Fonds 18, series 3-4; Jewish Vocational Services of Toronto fonds 75; United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds 67; accession # 2009-6-2; Dora Till Fonds 52; J. Irving Oelbaum Fonds 24; Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds 61, series 1-1; Gilbert Studios fonds 37; Ben Kayfetz fonds 62, series 3, file 3; JFWB fonds 87, series 6, files 5 and 6; JIAS fonds 9, series 7, file 1; Harold S. Kaplan fonds 27, series 1-4, and Morris Norman fonds 22.
By 1919 the plight of post-war Eastern European Jewry and the need for a united community voice for Canadian Jewry led to the creation of the Canadian Jewish Congress. Its founding meeting was held on March 16, 1919 in Montreal. Though it briefly maintained a tiny regional office in Toronto, the CJC remained inactive until 1933, when it fully reconvened by opening offices in Winnipeg, Montreal, and Toronto. Egmont L. Frankel was the first President of the new Central Division in Toronto. While the National Office in Montreal focused on the overarching issues of the social and economic rights of European Jewry, assistance for Jewish immigrants, and combating prejudice in Canada, the Toronto office dealt with local violent anti-Jewish demonstrations as well as continuing discrimination both in employment and in access to public recreational facilities. The structure was based on regular national biennial plenary conferences at which policies were delineated and national and regional executives were elected. Between plenary sessions, National and Regional Councils were in charge. These were augmented by the following standing committees: Administrative, Officers, Personnel, Financial, Publications, and Educational and Cultural. Special committees were created to deal with issues such as: youth, community loans, kashruth, fundraising, Israel, Russian Jewry, and various emergency issues such as refugees, immigration, and housing.
During the 1930s the Central Division Office moved several times and occupied offices in the following locations; Yonge St., the Bond St. Synagogue, Scheuer House, the Zionist Building, and its long-term home at 150-152 Beverley Street where it remained until its July, 1983 move to the Lipa Green Building in North York. Its activities expanded to include taking responsibility for Jewish educational standards but, by 1941, its main efforts shifted to support for Canada’s war effort. Immediately after the end of the war, the focus again shifted to Jewish immigration projects and the maintenance of Jewish identity in small communities. By 1950, the CJC’s use of the title “division” was changed to “region” to accommodate internal operational “divisions” within each region. Also, by then, the Central Region was busy expanding its programs for all Ontario Jewish communities, creating a province-wide council of youth groups, and working with the newly-created Bureau of Jewish Education (later Board of Jewish Education, now Mercaz). Standardization of kashruth rules in Ontario was implemented. As well, regular educational conferences and cultural events were held throughout the province, while province-wide fund-raising efforts in support of Moess Chittin for relief projects in Israel and for local Congress activities were expanded. Many of its educational and cultural responsibilities necessitated working with other Jewish organizations such as the United Jewish Welfare Fund, Jewish Immigrant Aid Society (JIAS), Hadassah, the Canadian Legion, B’nai Brith, the World Jewish Congress, the American Jewish Congress, and the many Landsmenshaften (Jewish mutual benefit societies, each formed by immigrants originating from the same Eastern European community).
During the 1960s, the Central Region began sending Moess Chittin relief shipments to Cuban Jews unable to acquire kosher foods for Passover. Its lobbying efforts included participation in the Royal Commissions on Hate Propaganda, and its greatest success came with the introduction and implementation of Ontario’s Fair Employment and Fair Accommodation Practices legislation, an achievement in which Congress played a pivotal role.
From 1971 to 1989 the major focus became international and Canada-wide lobbying for, and providing support to, Soviet Jewry. Virtually all local and Canadian efforts to assist the Soviet Jewish “refusniks” were organized and coordinated in Toronto by the CJC Ontario Region office, which provided staff and funding for the many lobbying activities and public demonstrations which characterized this successful effort.
As of November 1975, the CJC Central Region’s responsibilities in Toronto were radically altered. To improve cost efficiency in Toronto, CJC educational and social service program activities were merged with similar programs already provided by Toronto’s United Jewish Appeal. The UJA assumed sole responsibility for these amalgamated programs in Toronto and was renamed Toronto Jewish Congress. The CJC Central Region still retained province-wide responsibilities for Ontario’s smaller Jewish communities, and its office remained in Toronto. Also, following this reorganization, its name was changed to Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region. Although CJC no longer provided direct social and educational programs to Toronto, the TJC’s senior executive was, at the time, still obliged to continue to keep it notified about developments concerning previous Congress responsibilities.
Since 1983 the Ontario Region’s offices have been, like those of the UJA Federation, located in the Lipa Green Building, 4600 Bathurst St., North York. It continued its work of financially supporting various Israeli institutions and, as well, fostering Canada-Israel relations. It also spearheaded the movement to support and protect Jews in Arab lands, especially in Syria. Funding for the Canadian Jewish Congress now comes from the Canadian Council for Israel and Jewish Advocacy, which redistributes a portion of the funds raised by local Jewish Federations across Canada. The CJC National Office then funds the regional offices. As of 2009, the Ontario Region’s central mandate is to represent the Jewish community to Ontario residents and government on issues of social justice and public policy. Its structure remains the same: an Officers’ group supported by various volunteer committees and a small professional staff together deliberating on regional issues and implementing national policies at the regional level.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the records of the Ontario Region office of the Canadian Jewish Congress. Of primary importance in documenting this organization’s history are its minutes of the Executive and Administrative Committees and the various standing, and short-term committees such as Community Organization, Finance, Fund Raising, Educational and Cultural, Research, Immigration, War Efforts, and Jewish Education. Most of these records are still managed all together within Fonds 17, Series 1.
Fonds 17, Series 2 contains the general subject and correspondence files of these committees. Records in both series require further processing.
Records now found in Series 3 document the efforts of the Committee for Soviet Jewry in coordinating the activities of the many Toronto and Ontario organizations involved in assisting Soviet Jewry during the 1971 to 1989 period.
Series 4 consists of administrative and committee records of the United Jewish Refugee and War Relief Agencies in Toronto from 1938 through 1967. These document its work rescuing the survivors of European Jewish communities, settling as many as possible in Ontario, and providing assistance to those attempting to obtain restitution payments.
Series 5 consists of the records of the Community Relations Committee (1938-1976). Responding to depression-era anti-Semitism in Canada, the Canadian Jewish Congress and B’nai Brith together established in 1938 a new joint committee. Since then this Committee has documented racist threats in Canada; initiated advocacy activities to work for improved civil rights; promoted legislation combating hate; worked to ensure equality of access to employment, education and accommodation; and investigated specific incidents of discrimination. The Committee, for example, played a key role in achieving the Anti-Discrimination Act of 1944, and the Fair Employment Practices Act of 1951, key steps leading to Canada’s current Human Rights Code. Although originally named Joint Public Relations Committee in 1938, a series of name changes later occurred; s follows: Joint Community Relations Committee, Central Region (1962-1978), Joint Community Relations Committee, CJC, Ontario Region (ca. 1978-ca. 1991) Community Relations Committee, CJC, Ontario Region (ca. 1991-present) Records in this series were reorganized into 5 sub-series and a further 9 sub-sub-series during the 2009 to 2011 period. For further details please view the database records for Fonds 17, Series 5. Although this series will eventually hold all CRC records up to 1992, only those prior to 1979 are currently fully processed.
Physical description note: Includes 1839 photographs, 89 audio cassettes, 11 videocassettes, 4 drawings, and 6 microfilm reels (16 mm).
Processing note: Processing of this fonds is ongoing. Additional descriptive entries will be added in future.
Canadian Jewish Congress. Ontario Region
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the Archivist prior to accessing some of the records
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the Archivist prior to accessing some of the records.
Canadian Jewish Congress. Ontario Region (1919-2011)
Fanny often speaks Yiddish with Morris Silbert providing a translation.
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Conditional access. Researchers must receive permission from the interviewee or his/her heir prior to accessing the interview. Please contact the OJA for more information.
Fanny (Goldhar) Gurtzbein immigrated from Poland to Toronto in 1903. Fanny lived with her parents and siblings in Toronto's "Ward" district. Although raised in poverty Barney, Fanny's brother went on to become a successful furrier and her mother Tzyerl Goldhar became the organizer of the Mothers and Babes Summer Rest Home.
Rabbi Nachman Shemen was a Talmudic scholar, journalist, scholar, teacher, “mediator par excellence” and the author of more than 20 books. His contribution to Jewish scholarship included interpretations on Biblical, Talmudic, rabbinic and literary studies. The two volumes, published in Tel Aviv In Yiddish, discuss issues that date back to the creation and the Book of Genesis, up to more recent current day controversial issues as conversion and assimilation.
The rabbinic scholar was born in Chodel, Poland, a small town near Lublin, just before the outbreak of the First World War. Shemen's great-grandfather was a disciple of the founder of Chassidism in Poland, the “Seer of Lublin.” Both his parents were descendants of chassidism and scholars. When he was just over 17 years old, he received rabbinic ordination, and In 1930, moved to Canada with his family.
A founder of COR the Kashruth supervisory body, Shemen made COR one of the largest and most respected kosher organizations in North America. For over 40 years, Shemen served as director of the Kashruth Council and Rabbinical Vaad Hakashruth of the Canadian Jewish Congress and the Toronto Jewish Congress. He was one of the founders of Congregation Torah V’Avoda and was associated with the Eitz Chaim Schools where he taught for over 25 years. He was a longtime contributor to Yiddish newspapers and wrote many articles, sometimes using the pseudonym “A Reporter,” on Jewish issues and about the early Jewish community of Toronto. He died in 1993.
The Toronto Cloakmakers Union was established in 1909 as an organized effort to assist and protect workers in the women's garment industry. Two years later they became affiliated with the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union (I.L.G.W.U.) in Toronto and became Local 14. Today they are the oldest local still in existence and are now called Unite Here Canada.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of textual and graphic material documenting the activities and membership of the Toronto Cloakmakers Union and International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union. Included are I.L.G.W.U. membership dues and strike cards issued to Sara Clodman; letters and cards announcing I.L.G.W.U. meetings, celebrations, and other matters; an invitation to a dinner honouring A. Magerman's 25 years in the Cloakmaker's Union; copies of the Golden Jubilee Souvenir Journal and the 40th Jubilee Celebration book; a photocopy of the Constitution of the I.L.G.W.U.; Toronto Cloakmakers Union Local 14 Minute Book in Yiddish; and five black and white photographs of union members, events, and committees.
69 photographs : b&w and sepia (23 negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Lipa (Louis) Green (1899-1976) was born on 15 April 1899 in Usupow, Poland. He immigrated to Toronto in 1910 and later began work as a bricklayer. In 1924, Lipa married Fanny Green and had three sons: Abraham (Al), Harold and Sam; and three daughters: Deana (Weiman), Rookie (Goldstein), and Shavy (Tishler). In 1948, with partner, Arthur Weinstock, he founded the Greenview Construction Company, later to be renamed Greenwin. Green's sons, Al and Harold, along with Weinstock's son-in-law Al Latner, later became involved in the business.
Green was a prominent Jewish communal leader and philanthropist in Toronto and was affiliated with organizations such as the Labor Zionists (Farband), the Jewish Vocational Service and the Jewish Public Library. He was a strong advocate of the Yiddish language and was involved with many Yiddish committees, both at the local and national levels. The current building for Jewish agencies in Toronto is named the Lipa Green Building for Jewish Community Services.
The records were in the possession of Lipa's son Harold, before being donated to the OJA in January 1978.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of records documenting Lipa Green's personal life as well as his professional and philanthropic endeavours. Included are financial documents, event invitations and programs, meeting minutes, photographs, personal, business and organizational correspondence, speeches and writings, a scrapbook, records on a cooperative Jewish summer resort near Pickering, Ontario, as well as some material produced by other organizations and collected by Green during the course of his life. Most of the personal correspondence, speeches and other writings are in Yiddish, including Green's reminiscences on his life in Poland and his Bar Mitzvah. The files have been grouped according to personal records, business records, organizational records and ephemera.
Green, Lipa, 1899-1976
Some of the photographs are in very poor condition and require conservation work.
See Gordon Mendly Fonds 18 for a portrait of Lipa Green.
The records had been previously arranged as MG6 A. Many of the files were kept or combined, but several new files were also created to better reflect the records in the fonds. Several files were also culled as they did not relate to the mandate of the OJA. See the accession record for further information on the culled materials.
Morris Norman (b. 1946) is a chartered accountant living and working in Toronto. He is an avid collector of Canadiana, specifically Judaica. He purchases lots at auction and donates them to the Ontario Jewish Archives, as well as other institutions.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of the individual items collected at auction by Morris Norman. The records relate to the Toronto Jewish community and Ontario Jewry and include textual documents, photographs, near-prints, publications, artifacts, posters and broadsheets, sound recordings, and ephemera. Most of the items relate to various Jewish organizations, businesses, synagogues and individuals, and to Christian missionary work in Toronto. The material has been described at the file level, or where appropriate, the item level.
There are also four distinct series of records which document Berul Sugarman, who was a concert violinist and orchestral leader; the Franklin family, who owned a large amount of property in Toronto in the late 1800s and early 1900s; radio and television scripts written by Wayne and Shuster, Henry Karpus and Russell Bradley; and a collection of Turofsky photographs.
Physical description note: Includes 49 objects, 25 photographs, 7 audio recordings and 4 prints.
File consists of newspaper clippings documenting the activities of the Edell family. Included are articles regarding Clanton Park Synagogue, Belle Ewart, and Oshawa's B'nai Brith Lodge. Also included is a death notice for Malka Edell.
Item is a photograph of a workmen's choir during the ten year jubilee celebration for the A.A.C.T. organizations.
There are several Yiddish inscriptions on the photograph that are only partially translated. Translation includes, "Proletarian culture front, worthy member in Yiddishe Arbeiter Culture Centre, 10 year jubilee celebration with Ch' Shaffer, 12 May 1935, the two brothers".
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
110 photographs : b&w and col. (hand-tinted) ; 51 x 41 cm or smaller
6 architectural drawings : 70 x 36 or smaller
The Folks Farein, also known as the Hebrew National Association, was established in 1914 by a group of Toronto Jewish immigrants as a society dedicated to anti-missionary and educational outreach. They were first located at 23 Cecil St. and moved to 37 Cecil St. around 1940.
In the early years of the Folks Farein's existence, Christian missions and a number of Jewish converts to Christianity sought to exploit the situation of poor Jews in the community through the distribution of direct relief, services of doctors and midwives and by street-corner preaching and proselytization. To counteract the work of the Toronto missionaries the Folks Farein offered a number of services including welfare for working mothers, a reading room, English language clases and translation services for Yiddish immigrants.
When the threat from missionary activity was no longer an issue, the Folks Farein transformed itself into a philantrophic society. Under its revised mandate the society looked after the sick and needy in hospitals, sanitoriums, mental health institutions and in their homes, and arranged for free doctor services, translation services, medicine, dentures, eyeglasses, orthopedic shoes and medical applicances. The Folks Farein guaranteed the full or partial payment of medical bills by maintaining a fund in several hospitals for the benefit of Jewish patients in need of assistance. They provided assistance to seniors applying for old age pensions, to widows and mothers applying for benefits, assisted needy famililes and patients with kosher meals, provided cash relief during Passover, and fed and billeted the unemployed and homeless at their premises at 37 Cecil St.
In the course of their work, the Folks Farein collaborated with many Jewish organizations and societies such as the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society, Jewish Family Welfare Bureau, Relief Unemployment Fund, Jewish Joint Appliction Bureau, Jewish Children's Bureau, the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto, Canadian Jewish Congress and the Toronto Hebrew Free Loan Association.
Its basis of revenue came from its large membership, house-to-house contributions from the public and from special events such as it annual ball, Moas Chittin campaign, Purim ball, and beauty contest.
In addition to its regular activities the Folks Farein assumed responsibility for providing aid to refugees of the Second World War: the first group arriving from Europe in 1945 and in 1948 to a group of Jewish tailors liberated from the DP camps of Germany. In 1947, the Folks Farein established Hachnoses Orchim, a temporary shelter to accomodate refugees and displaced persons. The shelter was located at 37 Cecil St.
The Folks Farein's first officers were Mr. J. Graner (president), Mr. J. Meisniker (vice-president), Mr. Meyer Littner (superintendent), Chuna Mosoff and Mr. W. Welman (trustees), Miss Weiner and Mr. Cohen (board of education), Mr. A. Kaminsky (recording secretary) and Mr. Cohen (treasurer). Mr. Epstein refered to as "Grandfather" was one of the founders of the Folks Farein.
Other pioneers included Moshe Olebaum, and M. Spiegel (1st vice-president), J. Hurwitz (1st vice-president and president), Abraham Sher, S.M. Shapiro Shlesinger, Joseph Grenner, Mrs. Minna Winter (president of the Women's Auxillary) and Kalman Wagner. In 1930, David Green assumed the position of president of the Folks Farein and served as its exclusive president from 1934 until his passing on 13 May 1977. Sam Cohen was then elected the new president of the Folks Farein.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the Folks Farein's philantrophic activities in the Toronto Jewish community from 1914 to 1977. Records include meeting minutes and agendas of the executive board and committees, resolutions of board of directors, newspaper clippings in both Yiddish and English, publicity material, photographs, general correspondence, architectural drawings, cemetery deeds, legal documents, records relating to David Green's personal interests, financial and fundraising records, wills and bequests, and client case files. The records have been arranged into nine series: Meeting minutes; Scrapbooks; Executive services; Celebrations and events; Building and operations; David Green; Finance and fundraising; and Case files.
Series consists of meeting minutes and agendas of the executive board and officers, the membership campaign committee, board and welfare meetings, annual meetings, the contact committee, the constitution committee, the ladies auxiliary, and annual and general meetings. Also included are accompanying materials distributed at meetings such as the nomination of officers, monthly case work reports, financial and auditor reports, and campaign reports. Of note is David Green's resignation letter, records documenting the slander suit of Kirshenbaum vs David Green, the final order of foreclosure of lands and premises at 23 Cecil St., the establishment of Hachnoses Orchim (the shelter house for refugees), the discussion regarding the purchase of a cemetery, the sale of the Jewish Old Folks Home and Folks Farein's motion to purchase, and records documenting the Folks Farein merger with the Chaplaincy division of the Canadian Jewish Congress.
File consists of weekly meetings of the Folks Farein [Executive?] from 1914-1915. Minutes detail the Association's anti-missionary activities. Folks Farein's first elected officers were Mr. J. Graner (president), Mr. J. Meisniker (vice-president), Mr. Littner (superintendent), Chuna Mosoff and Mr. W. Wilman (trustees), Miss Weiner and Mr. Cohen (board of education), Mr. Kaminsky (recording secretary), and Mr. Cohen (treasurer).
File consists of meeting minutes and newspaper clippings. Included are newspaper clippings from the Yiddisher Zhurnal, mentioning the Folks Farein Moas Chitim Banquet at the Talmud Torah on Brunswick Ave., a request for donations, the establishment of an employment bureau by the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, income for the months of May through October, and a notice from the President A. Sher to the Jewish community for a happy new year. Minutes are signed by M. Handelman.
File consists of meeting minutes and newspaper clippings. Included with the minutes are monthly case work reports, financial reports, campaign reports, meeting agendas, a list of organizations and trades assisted by the Folks Farein, names of doctors rendering free service to patients, a letter to Mr. Sunshine, Chairman of Pride of Israel Jubilee Committee, a letter regarding the installation of new officers, and a draft newspaper announcement for the membership campaign. Mentioned are the Ladies Auxiliary New Year's Masquerade Ball at the Coliseum and the Philadon Club. Minutes are signed by A. Scher, honorary president; S. Lent, president; M. Bronstein, first vice-president; and A. Weisfeld, second vice-president.
File consists of meeting minutes of the board and officers, general meetings, and nominations for officers. Mentioned in the file are the activities surrounding the election of officers, membership campaigns, banquets, the New Year's Eve Ball and beauty contest, Passover report of activities, and the discussion of the Folks Farein Constitution. Interspersed between the minutes are financial records, hospital case work, and auditors reports. Societies and organizations mentioned are the Pride of Israel Sick Benefit Society, the Junction Knesseth Israel Ladies Auxiliary, the Berkeley Street Congregation, and the United Jewish Welfare Fund. Of note is the first mention of the slander suit of Kirshenbaum vs David Green and a pending action between J. Samuels and the Folks Farein regarding the final order of foreclosure of lands and premises at 23 Cecil St. Beginning in February 1936 minutes are recorded in English.
File consists of meeting minutes of the board and executive, the officers, the ladies auxiliary, annual meetings and nomination of officers, an emergency meeting and general meeting minutes. Included in the minutes are hospital and case work reports, building committee reports, good and welfare reports, financial statements, reports on the establishment of Hachnoses Orchim, the Shelter house for refugees on the premises of the Folks Farein, and the nomination of David Green as President in 1948. Also included is a notebook containing Yiddish notes from meetings between 1943 and 1948.
File consists of a photocopied scrapbook containing newspaper clippings relating to Folks Farein activities. The majority of the clippings are from the Daily Hebrew Journal (Yiddisher Zhurnal), the Daily Packet and Times, The Mail and Empire, Evening Telegram, The Toronto Daily Star, The Globe and Mail, The Jewish Standard. A large number of articles relate to the charitable activities of the Folks Farein such as the annual fund raising campaign, the annual beauty contest and New Years Eve Ball, concerts, and charity work in hospitals, sanatoriums and asylums. Of note is the motion of Kirshenbaum vs David Green, the official opening of the Folks Farein new home at 37 Cecil St., and the election of Rabbi Monson as treasurer of the Folks Farein. Included among the newspaper articles are photographs of David Green, H. Weiner, I. Grossman, M. Spiegel, A. Simon, Ben Fish, Ida Segal, Rabbi Samuel Sachs and Sam Kronick. Also included is a photocopied photograph of the Graner Family [192-?], seated is Joseph Graner, founder and first president of the Folks Farein
File consists of a photocopied scrapbook containing newspaper clippings relating to Folks Farein activities. The majority of the clippings are from the Daily Hebrew Journal/The Yiddisher Zhurnal and the Toronto Daily Star. A large number of articles relate to the election of David Green as President of the Folks Farein, charitable activities such as the annual fund raising campaign, the annual beauty contest and New Years Eve Ball, and charity work in hospitals, sanatoriums and asylums. Of note is an interview with David Green at the time of his resignation as President, and an article regarding a meeting of the Labor Lyceum honoring Sholom Schwartzband.
File consists of a photocopied scrapbook containing newspaper clippings relating to Folks Farein activities. The majority of the clippings are from the Daily Hebrew Journal, The Jewish Standard, and The Telegram. Articles relate to Folks Farein charitable activities in the community, Passover meals and seders for the sick and needy, a pamphlet highlighting the activities of the Folks Farein in the community, the installation of officers of the Ladies Auxiliary, the Toronto Israel Bond Drive with photos of David Green, Louis Zuker of the Landsmanshaften Committee, Syd Applebaum, and Bert Godfrey of the State of Israel Bond campaign. Also included is a photocopied photograph of David Green.
File consists of a photocopied scrapbook containing newspaper clippings relating to Folks Farein activities. The clippings are from The Jewish Standard, View, The Toronto Jewish Reporter, and the Canadian Jewish News. Articles relate to Folks Farein's 50th Anniversary Jubilee Year celebration, the Children's Haven at Kfar Saba in Israel, and expanded activities of Chaplaincy services in prisons and hospitals. Of note is an article entitled Folks Farein 35 years of devoted service to the Jewish community. The article includes reprints of editorials from the Hebrew Journal in 1914 addressing the activity of missionary groups seeking to gain Jewish proselytes. Mentioned are Rabbi Kelman and Rabbi Monson.
Series consists of photocopied scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings relating to Folks Farein activities. The majority of clippings are from the Daily Hebrew Journal, the Daily Packet and Times, the Mail and Empire, the Evening Telegram, the Toronto Daily Star, the Globe and Mail, the Jewish Standard, the Yiddisher Zhurnal, View, the Toronto Jewish Reporter and the Canadian Jewish News. A large number of articles relate to Folks Farein charitable activities for the sick and needy in Ontario hospitals, sanatoriums, and asylums, Passover meals and seders, concerts, the annual fund raising campaign, beauty contest and New Years Eve Ball, the 50th Anniversary Jubilee Year celebration, the Children's Haven at Kfar Saba Israel, and the Toronto Israel Bond Drive. Of note is an article entitled Folks Farein 35 years of devoted service to the Jewish community. Included in the article are reprints of excerpts from the Hebrew Journal of 1914 addressing the activity of missionary groups seeking to convert members of the immigrant Jewish community and the Anti-Conversion Farein society organized to counteract the work of the missionaries.
25 photographs : b&w and col. ; 51 x 41 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Series consists of portraits, photographs and correspondence documenting the activities of the Folks Farein Executive. Of note is a letter from the Canadian Overseas Garment Commission to David Green regarding the issuance of discharge certificates for immigrants who came to Toronto under the Tailor's Project.
File consists of Folks Farein activity reports. Included in the file are pamphlets entitled The Ways We Help, Service with Meaning, Folks Farein Provides Help and a Personal Interest and a one page detailed account of services provided to patients in Toronto hospitals.
Series consists of records of Folks Farein services offered to the community. Of note are Bathurst Lawn architectural drawings, cemetery deeds and delegates, resolution of the board of directors, the notification of registration as a charitable organization, the United Jewish Refugee and War Relief Agencies report of meeting held on January 5, 1945. There are also several photographs depicting Passover dinners and volunteer service performed by various Folks Farein volunteers at Ontario hospitals.
File consists of records of the David Green testimonial dinner. Included in the file is correspondence, names of banquet attendees, seating plans, patron donations, banquet expenditures, a program guide and a record keeping journal.