Sub-series consists of speeches, reports and correspondence generated by various presidents of the National Council of Jewish Women of Canada. It includes Irene Samuel's handwritten speeches and reports from the 1930s. Samuel, the first president of the National Council of Jewish Women of Canada, was involved in the formation of council's Canadian division.
Sub-series consists of one-time publications and communications produced by the administrative function of the National Excecutive Council for use by executive, as well as general, members of the National Council of Jewish Women of Canada. These publications document council's history, functions and goals.
This sub-series consists of records documenting the operational activities of the Mothers' and Babes' Summer Rest Home Association. Included are general correspondence files, camper records and documents detailing the Association's name change, their inclusion into the Jewish Camp Council, the closing of the rest home in Bronte, the search for a new site in Tollandale and the subsequent closing of the camp in the late 1970s.
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
This sub-series consists of records documenting the financial operations of the Mothers' and Babes' Summer Rest Home. The records include correspondence, budgetary and allocation documents and audited finanical reports.
This sub-series consists of records documenting the facilities and grounds of the Mothers' and Babes' Rest Homes in Bronte and Tollandale. The records include correspondence, reports, inventory lists and architectural drawings.
131 photographs (54 negatives) : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
This series consists of photographs depicting the campers, staff and grounds of the Mothers' and Babes' Summer Rest Homes in Bronte and Tollandale, Ontario. Included are various group photographs of adults and children participating programming activities as well as images of the cabins and grounds of the homes.
The Women's Auxiliary's Execuitive Commitee and Board of Directors were installed in 1955 following the creation of the Auxiliary. The officers of the Executive Committee, including Dora Till as president, were first elected by the Baycrest Centre's Board of Directors to manage the tasks of the Auxiliary and to oversee and implement the decisions of the Board. The distinction between the two bodies is sometimes unclear in the records as the titles were often used interchangeably.
Scope and Content
This sub-series consists of the records of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors of the Women's Auxiliary. The records include minutes, agendas and noctices, reports and speeches, correspondence, lists and photographs.
This sub-series consists of records documenting the programmes and services offered by the Women's Auxiliary of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. The records include correspondence, brochures and pamphlets, program manuals and photographs.
This sub-series consists of records documenting specific events held under the auspices of the Women's Auxiliary of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. The records include correspondence, reports invitations, program booklets, photographs and one artifact.
This sub-series consists of documents created for purpose of publicizing the Women's Auxiliary and their activities. Included are various writings intended for publication in the Bacycrest newsletter as well as written histories of the Auxiliary. Also included are several newsclippings on Dora Till and her role with the Women's Auxiliary.
This sub-series consists of records documenting the various awards and tributes conferred upon Dora Till during her lifetime. The records include correspondence, speeches, event invitations and newsclipppings.
This sub-series contains the operating files created and accumulated by the office of the executive director of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. during the years 1937-1978. The files contain correspondence, meeting minutes and agendas, program material, photographs, reports, financial records and other related records. They are arranged by subject in alphabetical and chronological order. The photographs and architectural drawings are located in the subject files with the related textual material.
Includes 142 photographs, 11 drawings, 2 artifacts and 2 posters.
The treasurer was responsible for overseeing all financial operations of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. The treasurer was chairman of the Finance Committee which recommended, discussed and approved the day-to-day financial requirements for the operation of the "Y". The committee was also responsible for submitting the financial information to the accounting houses who prepared the "Y's" audited financial reports.
Scope and Content
This sub-series contains the financial reports and statements for the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A., the Jewish Community Centre of Toronto, the Combined Building Campaign, the Northern Building Fund Campaign, the Jewish Camp Council, Camp Northland, Camp B’nai Brith, the Mothers' and Babes' Rest Home and Camp Fundale.
The reports are organized chronologically by year. Each year often contains more than one report, either for different periods of the same year, or for different structures under the control of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. The reports were kept by the office of the executive director.
Page & Steele Architects were responsible for the design and construction of the Spadina and Bloor and Spadina Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. along with associate architects, Kaplan & Sprachman. The Bloor "Y" was completed in 1952.
The northern building was designed and constructed by W. Sefton & Associates Ltd. Consulting Engineers and Gordon S. Adamson & Associates Architects. The northern building was completed in 1961.
Scope and Content
This sub-series contains records relating to the design and construction of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. at Bloor and Spadina and the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. on Bathurst Street in North York. The records include bound specifications detailing the labour, material and building methods for each of the buildings, as well as some architectural drawings of the northern building.
Sub-series consists of reports, correspondence, by-laws, draft by-laws, and earlier constitutions all documenting efforts to examine the need for, and present recommended changes to, the UJWF constitution.
Sub-series consists of minutes, correspondence and reports of meetings of the Administration Committee. Also included are minutes of a short-lived 1963 sub-committee constituted to produce a new funding formula specifying how the entire U.J.A. budget was to be divided. Files are arranged chronologically.
Sub-series consists of minutes of meetings of the Committee on Capital Needs and Planning. These contain discussions both with individual agencies and also groups of agencies such as schools and camps. Plans for special capital campaigns to finance new facilities for such agencies as Mount Sinai Hospital, the YM-YWHA and the Jewish Home for the Aged are documented within this sub-series.
Sub-series consists of capital needs and planning reports about three UJWF client agencies; the
YM-YWHA , Hillcrest Progressive School, and Associated Hebrew Schools. Files are arranged chronologically within each sub-series.
Sub-series consists of minutes of committee meetings which also include correspondence and reports about issues and cases discussed at those meetings.Files are arranged chronologically within the sub-series.
Sub-series consists of minutes of meetings of the Special Joint Committee of the Bureau of Jewish Education and the United Jewish Welfare Fund. Included within these records are correspondence and a final report of the Committee.
Series consists of minutes of meetings of the Nominating Committee (sometimes known as the Nominating and Arrangements Committee) of the United Jewish Welfare Fund. Files may also contain correspondence relevant to meeting topics.
From 1949 to 1968, the Budget and Finance Committee was the standing committee responsible for financial matters of the board and affiliated schools. The committee's work involved reviewing the budgets of affiliated schools on an ongoing basis, calculating the subsidies to be granted to schools, and also developing the budget for the BJE itself. Following the reorganization of the bureau as the Board of Jewish Education, in 1968, the Fiscal Committee was one of two permanent committees of the board. The functions of the committee include receiving school budgets and reviewing them as a check on the spending of subsidized schools, negotiating teachers' contracts with teachers' unions, reviewing areas for possible savings for schools, establishing tuition fee assessment guidelines and determining the actual tuition levied in all subsidized schools, regulating and enforcing a uniform salary scale for teachers in subsidized schools, and periodically recommending policies to the BJE board on fiscal management.
The formulae used to determine school subsidies have changed several times over the decades, as the Fiscal Committee sought to balance the financial needs of the schools against the ever-increasing costs to the UJWF and its successors of supporting the school system. Initially, subsidies were simply calculated based on the gap between a school's budget and the money raised by the school through tuition fees and other forms of fundraising. In the late 1950s, the BJE attempted to cut costs by eliminating building maintenance from the budget items eligible for subsidization, but this resulted in many schools developing large deficits by the early- to mid-1960s. This, in turn, led to special fundraising programs sponsored by the UJWF to assist the schools in eliminating those deficits. In the 1970s, following the recommendations of the UJWF Study Committee on Jewish Education, efforts were made to develop a funding formula based on budget models for different categories of schools. Since the schools and BJE were unable to reach a consensus on these models, the actual school budgets of 1977-1978 were used as a base for calculating future budgets, with changes calculated based on the rate of inflation, changes in enrollment and school staffing, and other factors. Budgets submitted by the schools were assessed against these calculations. Further changes to the formulae were made in the 1980s and 1990s, with a shift towards calculating the grants to schools as tuition subsidies in support of families unable to pay the full cost of their children's education, with full tuition calculated as the per capita cost of the school's operations.
Scope and Content
The sub-series documents the work of the Fiscal Committee in reviewing school budgets and working with the schools on new funding formulae. The sub-series includes meeting minutes and reports of both the Fiscal Committee and its predecessor, the Budget and Finance Committee, correspondence with schools and memoranda. The sub-series also includes records of the "Fiscal Forums", organized by the Fiscal Committee in the early 1990s to work with affiliated schools to address funding reductions caused by shortfalls in the annual UJA fundraising campaigns, and of the Mandate Sub-Committee, formed in 1997 to evaluate new school funding models, including school voucher and tuition loan systems.
The Pedagogic Committee was established in 1969 as one of the two standing committees of the Board of Jewish Education. The committee had twenty-four members: eight members from the BJE, eight nominated by the CJC and appointed by the UJWF, and eight from the community-at-large. The first chairman of the Pedagogic Committee was Meyer W. Gasner. For the first few years of its existence, there was some uncertainty as to the role of the committee and it rarely met. Over time, the committee took on responsibility for advising the BJE Board of Directors and affiliated schools on such matters as teacher training and professional development, teacher certification standards, interschool activities, the establishment of a media centre, and the principal's role in subsidized evening schools. Some of these responsibilities had previously been carried out by the bureau's School Committee.
In 1975, the UJWF Study Committee on Jewish Education recommended that the Pedagogic Committee be replaced with a new Management and Academic Affairs Committee. This new committee would deal with personnel practices, reports from school consultants on affiliated schools, seek input from schools on how the BJE could better meet their needs, and deal with general problems relating to the quality and standards of Jewish education. In the 1980s, the main function of the Management and Academic Affairs Committee was to undertake reviews of major educational programs and concerns affecting all affiliated schools. One of its projects at the time was an intensive review of the proposal to shift grade nine into the high schools.
In the later 1980s, the Management and Academic Affairs Committee, like the earlier Pedagogic Committee, met infrequently. The 1991 BJE Strategic Planning Committee report called for the creation of a Department of Educational Services, overseen by an Educational Services Committee, which would assume the responsibilities of the Management and Academic Affairs Committee and would coordinate the formal and informal educational services of the BJE. The new committee began meeting in March 1993. Its stated goals were to review the BJE's services to affiliated schools and assess their quality, determine unmet needs of the schools, propose and initiate actions to expand services or create new services, and promote BJE services to the schools.
In 1998, in response to the recommendations of the Commission on Jewish Education, the Educational Services Committee was restructured as the Jewish Educational Services Committee, with the expanded responsibility of coordinating all curriculum-based Jewish education in the community receiving financial support from UJA Federation.
Scope and Content
The sub-series documents the meetings and some of the projects of the Pedagogic Committee, the Management and Academic Affairs Committee, and the Educational Services Committee. The records include committee minutes and reports, correspondence and memoranda. The files are arranged chronologically.
One of the first actions taken by the Bureau of Jewish Education Board of Directors was to work with the schools to define the requirements for affiliation with, and financial support from, the bureau. Reviewing affiliation requirements and applications for affiliation from schools were the primary duties of the bureau's School Committee. These requirements were occasionally reviewed and updated by the board during the 1950s and 1960s. In general, the requirements stipulate that the school should be open to all Jewish students; that the schools comply with government and BJE standards for teacher qualifications and general studies curriculum; that it not be a profit-making venture; that it have a stable and adequate administrative structure, and have been in existence for at least a year; that it cooperate with the BJE on fiscal and administrative matters, and allow visits from BJE school consultants; and that the schools should strive to enhance students' knowledge and appreciation of Judaism and their understanding and concern for the welfare of the state of Israel.
The UJWF Study Committee on Jewish Education report of 1975 included a large number of recommendations for revisions to the affiliation requirements. Rather than simply reviewing and implementing these recommendations, the BJE board appointed an Affiliation Requirements Sub-Committee in the late 1970s to conduct a further study of the current affiliation requirements and possible revisions. This committee reported to the board in 1980. After this date, an affiliation requirements committee (under various names) remained a component of the board's committee structure, although it did not meet on a regular basis. Affiliation requirements were again reviewed and revised in the mid-1980s, and then in the mid-1990s, in response to the inquiries of the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto's Commission on Jewish Education. As of 2006, the BJE Affiliation and Compliance Committee is responsible for considering revisions to requirements, applications for affiliation from new schools, and monitoring schools' compliance with these requirements.
Scope and Content
The sub-series documents the work of the School Committee, the Affiliation Requirements Sub-Committee (also known as the Affiliation Requirements Committee), and its successors, the Affiliation and Funding Requirements Sub-Committee, and Affiliations Criteria Sub-Committee. The sub-series includes meeting minutes, copies of the affiliation requirements for different time periods, reports from the committees to the board on proposed revisions to the affiliation requirements, and recommendations from the committees to the board on applications for affiliation. The files are arranged chronologically.
The BJE's guidance and counselling services for students began with a pilot project organized by the UJWF, Jewish Vocational Service (JVS), and Jewish Family and Child Services (JF&CS) in the mid- to late-1960s. JVS was then contracted to provide these services in some of the affiliated day schools. Studies of the program were carried out by the UJWF in the early 1970s, and again by its successor, the Toronto Jewish Congress (TJC) in the late 1970s; the second study was prompted by some schools starting their own student counselling programs, staffed by in-house personnel. The BJE's Guidance and Counselling Steering Committee (also known as the Guidance and Counselling Advisory Committee) -- a joint committee with representatives from the BJE and JVS -- met on an irregular basis during the 1970s to review the program's operations. Following the recommendations of the TJC study, the BJE Guidance and Counselling Steering Committee took on a more active role in supervising guidance serices during the 1980s.
Scope and Content
The sub-series documents the meetings of the Guidance and Counselling Steering Committee, and BJE's involvement with evaluations of the program. The records include memoranda, correspondence with schools and JVS, committee meeting minutes and reports.
Records relating to the UJWF and TJC study committees and the original UJWF pilot project can be found in series 4, "Subject files."
The BJE Strategic Planning Commitee began meeting in August 1988 as the ad-hoc Think Tank Planning Committee, with the goal of planning a weekend "think tank" session of BJE professional staff, lay people, and representatives of affiliated schools to review the role and functions of the BJE. The group's deliberations led to an expansion of this mandate, to include developing a mission statement, as well as goals and objectives for the board. The committee consisted of Martin Sable (chair), Sandra Brown, Sheila Freeman, Henry Koschitzky, and Howard Nathan, with Harold Malitzky, associate director, and Rabbi Irwin Witty, executive director, as staff members.
The BJE received a grant from the Toronto Jewish Congress (TJC) to finance the preparation of a strategic plan, and, early in 1989, hired Gary Sandor of ARA Consultants to assist the Strategic Planning Committee in defining the purpose of the committee, developing a work plan, and gathering data for the project. In April-May 1989, Sandor interviewed key informants and distributed questionnaires to over 200 stakeholders in the community: presidents of teachers federations; the chair of the parents council; school presidents, administrators and principals; presidents of synagogues which sponsor schools; BJE board members and TJC Executive Committee members. In May 1989, the committee sponsored the Community Leadership Forum, involving over fifty participants from the BJE, affiliated schools, and the TJC Executive Committee, to discuss the major themes which had been identified so far by the committee. This was followed by an interim report by Sandor, in June 1989, summarizing the work so far on the strategic plan and the outcomes of the forum. The forum and the report identified three major themes for the planning committee to focus on: clearly defining the BJE's mandate, clarifying its major responsibilities, and taking a leadership position in the community.
By May 1990, the committee had developed a mission statement, objectives and an action plan for the BJE, which were presented to the BJE board and approved in principle. The final report of the committee was presented to the board in January 1991, and in February 1991, the report was presented to the TJC Executive Committee for approval. Implementation of the committee's recommendations began in 1993. In addition to developing the mission statement, objectives and action plan for the BJE, the major recommendations of the committee were to revise the board's committee structure; more clearly define the composition of the board, the representation of different stakeholder groups on the board, and the responsibilities of board members; and, to increase the interaction of lay committees and professional staff by more clearly defining staff responsibilities for supporting board committees. The key features of the committee restructuring were the re-establishment of a BJE Executive Committee and the creation of a Department of Education Services, reporting to an Educational Services Committee. All working committees of the board were to report to either the Educational Services Committee or the Fiscal Committee. This reorganization led to a structure similar to that originally envisioned in the BJE reorganization of 1968, when the two standing committees of the board were the Pedagaogic Committee and the Fiscal Committee.
Scope and Content
The series documents the work of the committee and its consultant, Gary Sandor, in gathering information from the community on perceptions of the BJE and areas for improvement, and in drafting the mission statement, goals, action plan, and proposed restructuring of the BJE board. The records in the series include committee minutes and reports, memoranda and correspondence, copies of the consultant's reports, and records relating to the Community Leadership Forum.
The sub-series consists of Dr. Joseph Diamond's and Rabbi Irwin Witty's personal correpondence, filed with their executive director records, the text of public talks and of commentaries made on Zelda Young's "Jewish hour" radio programme, broadcast every Sunday on the CHIN (Toronto) radio station. The topics of these commentaries varied widely, including Talmudic commentaries, Israeli and Diaspora Jewish politics, as well as matters relating to Jewish education in Toronto and elsewhere. Although much of the personal correspondence is routine in nature, some of the letters include discussions of Jewish education and activities of the BJE.
The sub-series consists of records and reference materials relating to BJE applications for school and program funding to the federal and provincial governments, and to the North York Public School Board. The projects and programs include heritage and French language programs, and professional development projects for teachers. The sub-series includes records relating to BJE and CJC efforts to lobby the provincial government to extend funding of schools to include private schools. The sub-series includes a photograph of Rabbi Witty and Bernard Shoub accepting a Government of Canada cheque for a BJE project.
The Study Committee on Jewish Education was formed in 1970, with a mandate to investigate all aspects of Jewish education in Toronto and make recommendations for changes to the UJWF. The committee was co-chaired by J.S. Midanik and Donald Carr. The committee's work was carried out by six "task forces", which studied Jewish day schools, day high schools, supplementary schools, the BJE itself, teacher training and recruitment, and financing for Jewish education. The task forces carried out their investigations through meetings, interviews and surveys of school personnel, administrators and board members, as well as through reports on specific topics by academic researchers. Each task force prepared an interim report of its findings in 1974-1975, and these reports were then synthesized into the final report published in 1975, accompanied by a lengthy set of recommendations approved by the entire study committee. Rabbi Witty, executive director of the BJE, and Shoshana Kurtz, BJE school consultant, were staff members of the committee and served on the editorial sub-committee which drafted the final report. The study committee's recommendations, on matters relating to the financing of the Jewish school system, recruiting and training teachers, establishing standards for curriculum, administration and teacher qualifications in affiliated schools, and the structure of the BJE, were considered and acted upon by committees of the BJE and the UJWF during the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Scope and Content
The sub-series documents the work of the executive director as staff member for the Study Committee on Jewish Education, and the meetings of the various task forces of the committee. The sub-series provides additional information on schools and community perceptions of the school system and the BJE in the early 1970s. The sub-series includes task force minutes, copies of questionnaires distributed by the task forces, data collected by the task forces which were used in their interim reports, and a copy of the final report.
The records in this sub-series include correspondence, memoranda, committee reports and minutes, primarily of the BJE Fiscal Committee, its sub-committees, and the Association of Jewish Day School Administrators. Rather than being filed by committee name or by record form -- such as correspondence -- these records have all been filed together by creation date, with separate files for each month. While this form of organization means that there is duplication of materials between this sub-series and the series and sub-series for those committees, this sub-series documents the major activities and decision-making in which the director was involved, in the order those activities occurred.
The series consists of copies of audited financial statements from BJE affiliated schools. Receiving and reviewing these statements was one component of the director of school finances' work. Copies of the reports were shared with members of the BJE Fiscal Committee, and were kept on file by the director for future reference and comparison.
B’nai Brith is the oldest Jewish service organization in North America. It was founded on October 13, 1843 by a group of eleven men in New York City.
Originally called Bundes-Brueder [League of Brothers], with the alternate title of “The Independent Order of B’nai Brith”, they later shortened their name to simply “B’nai Brith”, meaning sons of the covenant.
In an attempt to unite Jewish communities, they developed an inclusive membership mandate that does not discriminate against ethnic or religious sects. The initial vision of the organization was to develop a national Jewish organization, which would provide aid to all Jewish citizens. These goals have long since been realized. The organization currently has lodges internationally and B’nai Brith membership is in the millions.
B’nai Brith cites its main goals to be: reaching out to those in need, fighting antisemitism and prejudice of any kind, and promoting human rights and world peace. One of their most recognized accomplishments is the formation of the Anti-Defamation League, which combats antisemitism and promotes human rights.
In Canada, the first B'nai Brith lodge was founded in Toronto, the Canada Lodge, in 1875, but it folded in 1894. Other lodges were formed in Montreal, in 1881, and Victoria, in 1886. These lodges were disbanded around the turn of the century and the organization did not have much of a presence in Canada until the outbreak of the first World War. Shortly afterwards, in Toronto, B’nai Brith had fifteen lodges and eleven chapters. The lodges were the men’s groups and the chapters were for the women; in addition, there was also the B’nai Brith Youth Organization, called the Hillel Foundation, which was located at the University of Toronto.
The lodges primarily work in the community in a fundraising capacity, but many of the lodges also support various causes, such as youth and senior programs.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of negatives documenting the events and activities of several B'nai Brith lodges in Toronto. The images depict meetings, installation banquets, special events, theatrical productions, and group photographs of the executive and officers of the various lodges. The negatives have been arranged chronologically by event and are described at the file or item level.
Israel Histadrut of Toronto was a fundraising organization, whose annual campaign raised money for the Israel Histadrut in Israel (the Federation of Labour in Israel). The Federation was founded in 1920 by Labour Zionist parties in Palestine. The campaign money was used to fund economic, trade union, military, social, and cultural activities in Israel, as well as to provide a comprehensive system of health insurance and hospital services to workers.
The Israel Histadrut campaign in Toronto had an autonomous executive board, however its activities were overseen by the Labour Zionist Movement, who also operated the Bialik Hebrew Day School, their educational arm; and the Labour Zionist Alliance or Farband, their mutual benefit society (formally known as the Jewish National Workers Alliance, Farband Labour Zionist Order).
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of negatives documenting the events and activities of the Israel Histadrut campaigns. The images depict members at banquets and meetings, special events, and campaign fundraisers. The negatives have been arranged chronologically by event and are described at the file or item level.
The Herzl Zion Club of Toronto was organized in 1910 by John Shayne, as a Jewish boys fraternal club. Members of the club engaged in athletic activates, minstrel shows, debates and lecture series and other cultural activities such as dances and theatrical productions. They were famous for their staged follies at the Loew's Winter Garden Theatre on Yonge Street.
The Club originally met on Sundays at the Zionist Institute, until they purchased their own clubhouse at 210 Beverley Street after the First World War. By the end of the 1920s, as many of the boys entered the professions and got married, the club experienced a waning in membership and was eventually forced to disband.
In May 1943, a reunion was organized by former members Jack Samuel and Nat Gollom. The following year the club re-formed, but this time with a greater emphasis placed on fundraising, specifically for the Combined Palestine Appeal (later the United Jewish Appeal) and the Hebrew University. The Club also began publishing an internal newsletter entitled the Herzl Zion Digest. They later affiliated with the Zionist Organization of Canada, Central Region, and often sent delegates to ZOC conferences.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of negatives documenting the events and activities of the Herzl Zion Club of Toronto. The images depict members at installation banquets and officers' meetings, bowling league events, and various campaign fundraisers. The negatives have been arranged chronologically by event and are described at the file or item level.
In 1913, a mutual benefit society for women called the Ezras Noshim Society was formed in Toronto. Ezras Noshim started collecting funds around 1916 to purchase a home that would be converted into Toronto's first Jewish Old Folks Home. The forerunner to Baycrest Centre opened in 1919 as the Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home. It was located on Cecil Street in downtown Toronto and the women of Ezras Noshim made beds, cooked kosher meals, washed sheets and sponsored fund-raising events.
In 1954, the Jewish Home for the Aged opened on Bathurst Street to accommodate their expanding needs with the addition of a new feature -- Baycrest Hospital. This location, known as the Baycrest Centre, expanded to include several new buildings that were better able to meet the needs of the Jewish community in Toronto.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of negatives documenting the events and activities of several Jewish Home for the Aged groups, including the men's service group, the women's auxiliary, and the staff and residents. The images depict meetings and banquets, fundraising campaigns, images of the interior of the building, the residents partaking in daily activities and classes, and special visits by dignitaries. The negatives have been arranged chronologically by event and are described at the file or item level.
The Zionist Organization of Canada (ZOC) (1921-1978) acted as the official voice of Zionism in Canada, promoting the aims of Zionism in communities across the country. The ZOC mandate was: 1) the promotion of immigration to Israel; 2) raising funds to carry out the aims of Zionism; 3) encouraging investment in Israel; 4) fostering Jewish consciousness; and 5) mobilizing public opinion about Israel and the Jewish communities of the Diaspora.
The Federation of Zionist Societies of Canada (FZSOC) was founded in 1898 as the national collective of groups representing Zionist interests in Canada. In 1921 the organization changed its name and was incorporated as the Zionist Organization of Canada, becoming the primary umbrella organization for Zionist groups in Canada.
The ZOC was a broad-based organization that embraced an ideology of nationhood which attracted influential national leaders within the Jewish community as well as thousands of members across the country. ZOC's main office was located in Montreal until 1970, when it moved to the Toronto Zionist Centre on Marlee Ave, Toronto. ZOC provided smaller communities, which had few institutional supports, with vital linkages to the metropolitan centres through their programs that were run out of the regional offices and local Zionist councils. The Zionist Organization of Canada administered the budgets of such organizations as Canadian Hadassah-Wizo, the Men's Zionist Organization of Canada and Young Judaea. ZOC programs promoted a stronger Jewish identity amongst Canadian Jews and familiarity with Hebrew through the periodical, Canadian Zionist. These programs included book clubs, lunch clubs, film exhibits, youth camps, travel offices, and two television programs during the 1970s on cable television in Montreal and Toronto.
In 1967, ZOC became a constituent member of the new Federated Zionist Organization of Canada (FZOC), along with Canadian Hadassah-Wizo, the Labour Zionist Movement of Canada, Mizrachi Hapoel Hamizrachi Organization of Canada, Zionist Revisionist Organization of Canada, Achdut Avoda, and Friends of Pioneering Israel (Mapam). In 1972, FZOC became the Canadian Zionist Federation (CZF). During the 1970s, ZOC's functions were gradually absorbed by the Canadian Zionist Federation, the CZF Central Region based in Toronto, and by the Toronto Zionist Council. By 1978, the Zionist Organization of Canada had ceased to function as an organization.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of negatives documenting the activities of the Zionist Organization of Canada. The images depict members at meetings, conventions and banquets, reception dinners, as well as sponsored events involving dignitaries and foreign diplomats. The images have been arranged chronologically by event and are described at the file and item level.
Benevolent societies, or landsmenshaften, were formed in the early part of the twentieth-centurey along shtetl lines by Eastern European Jewish immigrants to Toronto. The societies served to unite members of the community who originated from the same town or region, and also helped to secure passage to Toronto for those who were still in Europe. The societies also provided services to its dues-paying membership such as: aid in finding employment or accomodation, hospital and special medical care, doctor's visitation, sick benefit payments, funeral benefits and arrangements, and in many cases a burial plot. Some societies also provided a loans to its membership through a credit society. In later years, many benevlent societies also began to act as fraternal organizations that engaged in cultural and philanthropic programming.
The benevolent societies included in this sub-series were founded on the following dates: Chenstochover, 1914; Chmelnicker, ?; Drildzer, 1934; Hebrew Sick Benefit, 1910; Ivansker, 1931; Keltzer, 1913; Lagover, 1932; Lubliner, ?; Ostrovtzer Independent, 1925; Pride of Israel, 1905; Radomer, 1935; Stashiver, 1918; Warshaver Lodzer, 1929.
[Dates taken from: Rosenberg, Louis. "Jewish Mutual Benefit & Friendly Societies in Toronto: The First Fifty Ayears. 1896-1945"]
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of images documenting several sick benefit and mutual benefit societies in Toronto, such as: the Chenstochover Hilfs Farein, the Chmelnicker Society, the Drildzer Young Society, the Hebrew Sick Benefit Society, the Ivansker Mutual Benefit Society, the Keltzer Sick Benefit Society, the Lagover Mutual Benefit Society, the Lubliner Society, the Ostrovtzer Independent Mutual Benefit Society, the Pride of Israel Sick Benefit Society, the Radomer Mutual Benefit Society, the Stashiver Young Men's Mutual Benefit Society, and the Warshaver Lodzer and Mutual Benefit Society. The images include members at banquets, dinners and meetings, members partaking in fundraising campaigns, and group photographs of the officers and ladies' auxiliaries.
The images have been arranged alphabetically by society and chronologically by event. They have been described at the file or item level.
Sub-series consists of the minutes of meetings of the Board of Trustees of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies. Some files may also include related correspondence and reports. Of special note is a report in file 2 detailing the response of the Toronto Jewish Community to the "Jewish needy" made sick by the deadly 1919-1920 influenza epidemic.
Sub-series consists of minutes of meetings of the Budget Committee from 1933 to 1936. Included are the budgets of member agencies financed by the FJPT. These records document the work of the committee which, because of the FJPT's diminished collections, was forced to limit the budgets of affiliated agencies during the Great Depression. Also included is one file of committee memoranda.
For meeting minutes of this committee's successor organization, see Fonds 67, Sub-series 7-1, minutes of meetings of the Budget and Finance Committee of the United Jewish Welfare Fund.