Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
29 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-1922
Physical Description
136 architectural drawings : pencil, some hand col., watercolour, on linen weave and tracing paper ; 100 x 90 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Henry Street Beth Jacob Synagogue was founded by Toronto‚Äôs Polish-Jewish Community, as the successor of an older, smaller synagogue on Elm Street. It was the first synagogue in Toronto that was designed by a Jewish architect, Benjamin Brown. Located at 23 and 23 ½ Henry Street, the synagogue was dedicated in 1922, at a cost of $156,000, and could accommodate up to eight hundred worshippers. It was built in Romanesque style and was notable for its stained glass windows and retractable roof that was used on Sukkoth. It also contained a vaulted ceiling capped by a large dome and four smaller ones. The building was eventually sold and converted into a church. It is the current site of the Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Beth Jacob Synagogue. Contained within are basement, floor, stairwell and roof plans, load plans, sections, and elevation drawings. Also included are detailing of windows, the Ark, entrances and other structures and objects.
Notes
Most of the drawings are stored in four rolls, the remainder are encased in five sheets of Melinex. Due to the fragility of these drawings, the medium, extent and sizes of them are based on the descriptions compiled by Steve Speisman. It is recommended that a conservator examine these drawings.
Name Access
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Some drawings are frayed and torn.
Places
Henry Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1922]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col., watercolour, on cardboard backed paper ; 90 x 73 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah Day School was established in 1907 and was originally situated on Simcoe Avenue. In 1922 the school received a charter from the Province of Ontario and relocated to Brunswick Avenue the same year. The new school opened in 1925 as a non-denominational afternoon school. It was the precursor to the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto.
Scope and Content
File consists of one drawing of the exterior of the Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Related Material
See File 49-5-13 for plans of the Yorkville Talmud Torah Day School in New York, designed by Benjamin W. Levitan.
Places
Brunswick Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
6
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1915]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil and hand col., watercolour, 1 on cardboard backed paper ; 52 x 41 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Chevra Tehillim congregation was established in 1887 and held services at various locations until it moved to its permanent home at 69 McCaul Street in 1905. Around 1910, the congregation had the McCaul premises remodeled. The synagogue remained on McCaul Street until 1952, when it merged with Goel Tzedek to form the Beth Tzedek synagogue, currently Canada's largest. The Beth Tzedek synagogue is currently located on Bathurst Street. The McCaul Street premises was demolished in the late 1950s.
Scope and Content
File consists of two colour drawings of a proposed new Ark for the McCaul Street Synagogue. They were drawn by Benjamin Brown as a proposal for redesigning the Ark during the 1910s. According to an interview with Brown in 1973, this ark was his first commission after he opened his office at 600 Bay St.
Notes
It is possible that Item #16 is a design of the Ark for the Beach Hebrew Institute.
Subjects
Torah arks
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
16
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1936
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : pencil and hand col., watercolour, on verso of blueprints ; 38 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of three high quality drawings of the interior and exterior of "My Valet", a single storey clothing store located at 1492 1/2 Bathurst Street for Mr. C. W. Fountain.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Bathurst Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
17
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1925]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pastel on verso of blueprint ; 47 cm length and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mrs. Celia Cherry was the wife of Isadore Cherry, who was the owner of several ladies clothing shops along Dundas and Bloor. Mrs. Cherry died in 1927, aged 39.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Cherry's clothing store at 1014 Bloor St. West. Contained within are a floor plan and a high quality pastel drawing of the front exterior, on the back of a previously used blueprint.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Bloor Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 76
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
76
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : blueprint ; 62 cm length and 5 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a garage and service station for Jack Chaban at 628 Annette Street. A section and elevation drawings are included.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 85
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
85
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934-1935
Physical Description
8 architectural drawings : pencil, some hand col., pencil crayon and watercolour on tracing paper ; 72 x 69 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Doctor Leon J. Solway and Doctor Maurice Pollock were two of the earliest Jewish doctors to practice in Toronto.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to the offices of Doctor Leon J. Solway (a cardiologist) and Doctor Maurice Pollock (a general practitioner) at 425 Bloor Street West. Sections, floor plans and elevation drawings are included.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions created by Steve Speisman.
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Condition is poor, several drawings are badly torn.
Related Material
See File 49-5-12 for Kaplan and Sprachman's designs of the building.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 21
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
21
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921
Physical Description
24 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 23 pencil on tracing paper ; 89 cm length or smaller and 9 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Born in 1883, David Dunkelman was the founder of Tip Top Tailors, a high end men's clothing store, which currently has about one hundred branches nationwide. The business was sold to Dylex who subsequently sold it to Grafton-Fraser in 2000. David, and his wife Rose had six children; Joseph, a movie executive; Ernest, a manufacturer; Zelda; Veronica; Theodora; and Benjamin, who fought in both the Second World War and the Israeli War of Independence. David Dunkelman died in 1978.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of alterations to the residence of Mr. David Dunkelman. Contained within are sections, elevation drawings and a floor plan. Several sketches of the interior of the residence as well as detailing of windows, a mantle and the entrance are included.
Notes
Drawings are in three rolls.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
In need of conservation. Some drawings are badly torn.
Places
Rowanwood Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 87
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
87
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1940
Physical Description
17 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 71 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Morris Alspector was a Jewish real estate agent and developer.
Scope and Content
File consists of sections, elevations, detailing, floor plans, a foundation plan and a section of a two storey hotel for Mr. Morris Alspector on Lakeshore Road at Jackson Point on the south side of Lake Simcoe.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 88
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
88
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921-1924
Physical Description
44 architectural drawings : 4 blueprints, 40 pencil on tracing paper ; 81 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Dr. Max Kates was a Jewish dentist, his office was located at 218 1/2 Queen Street West. He was married to Lillian Kates, who was the founder of Camp Arowhon. They had two children, Eugene and Shyrle.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey building containing stores for Dr. Max Kates at Dundas and Elizabeth Streets. Sections, elevations, detailing, floor plans, a block plan and a roof plan are included. An early perspective drawing shows the building designed as three-storeys instead of the built two-storey structure.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions created by Steve Speisman.
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 23
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
23
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1930
Physical Description
58 architectural and technical drawings : 6 blueprints, 51 pencil and 1 pen. some on tracing paper ; 102 cm length or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of a proposed house for Benjamin Brown at 37 Castle Frank Crescent. The house was completed and Brown lived in it from 1931-1932. The plans contain drawings of a two storey, three bedroom home that included servant quarters. Floor plans, lot plans, sections, elevation drawings, interior sketches, detailing and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included.
Notes
An elevation drawing is on the verso of the ground floor plan.
Formerly listed as Commission XXVIII.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile, some are torn.
6/16/2015: Records were sent out for conservation treatments.
Places
Castle Frank Crescent (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 94
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
94
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1923-1926
Physical Description
66 architectural drawings : 16 blueprints, 50 pencil on tracing paper ; 79 cm length or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Empire Clothing Company, co-owned by Mr. William Leibel and Mr. A. M. Schiffer, manufactured men's clothing and sold it wholesale. Leibel and Schiffer were also close neighbors, living only a few houses apart. The headquarters of Empire Clothing was located at 197/199 Spadina Avenue.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings for additions and alterations to the office headquarters of the Empire Clothing Company at 197/199 Spadina Avenue. Elevations, detailing, sections, floor plans and a roof plan are included. Also included are the drawings for the original factory, completed by Brown in 1923.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description and extent are partially based on Speisman's earlier item level descriptions. The drawings are contained in two rolls.
ACCESS RESTRICTION NOTE: Researchers wishing to access interior drawings must be granted written permission by the property owner.
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile and torn.
Related Material
See File 49-2-4 for plans of private garage for Mr. A. M. Schiffer.
See File 49-2-6 for plans of alterations to home of Mr. William Leibel.
See File 49-3-69 for plans of a building for Empire Clothing at Spadina Avenue and Adelaide Street.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 25
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
25
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-1920
Physical Description
56 architectural drawings : 13 pen on linen weave, 1 blueprint, 42 pencil, some on tracing paper ; 74 cm length or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Mendel Granatstein was a prominent member of one of the early Jewish families of Toronto. In 1895, he founded M. Granatstein and Sons, Ltd., a junk dealing company, and by the early 20th century, he had become one of the most prosperous Jews in Toronto. Mr. Granatstein was also a community leader, having a hand in the foundation of Beth Jacob Synagogue.
In 1919, Mr. Granatstein commissioned Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell to design a three storey Classical Georgian style house located at 42 St. George Street. This house also contained a retractable roof used on Sukkoth. In 1947, the house was acquired by the University of Toronto and was used for a variety of purposes until it was demolished in 1999. The Bahen Centre for Information Technology now stands in its place.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of the three storey, six bedroom mansion of Mr. Mendal Granatstein at 42 St. George Street. In addition to the bedrooms, the house contained a sunroom, a study, an enclosed porch, a large living room and a large dining room. Servants' quarters were located in the attic. Floor plans, sections, elevation drawings and drawings of alterations to the porch design are also included.
Notes
Drawings are located in two rolls, one containing the linen weave drawings, which are in good condition and the other containing the remainder, which are in very poor condition. Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions of Steve Speisman.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Many drawings are torn and in poor condition.
Places
Saint George Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
1
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1940
Physical Description
12 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 48 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the 1920s, Camp Yungvelt was originally situated on Lake Wilcox. Two years later it moved to Pickering, where it operated until it closed in the 1950s. It was established by the Workmen's Circle, as a Yiddish summer camp for Jewish children. Camp Yungvelt was known for accepting the children of poor immigrants for a small fraction of the regular fee.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of several new buildings that were erected at Camp Yungvelt. Floor plans, a foundation plan, and several elevation drawings are included.
Subjects
Camps
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 104
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
104
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921-1922
Physical Description
27 architectural and technical drawings : 26 blueprints, 1 pencil and paint ; 81 cm length or smaller and 9 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Located at 285 Spadina Avenue, the Standard Theatre was the first purpose-built Yiddish theatre in Canada. Described as the finest Yiddish theatre in North America, it contained seating for 1500 and included a balcony. The Standard held its opening performance and ceremony on August 31, 1922. It became the site of a variety of Yiddish plays, musical performances and other entertainment. The theatre was also the scene of political activity during this period, including a 1929 gathering to commemorate the death of Lenin. In 1935, due to poor attendance, the theatre was converted into a movie theatre renamed the Strand. Over the next several decades, the theatre was used for a variety of purposes, including as a Chinese movie house and even as a burlesque house for a time. Most recently, the main floor of the building has been converted into a bank, while the upper balcony has been closed. The Standard was designated as a heritage building in 2007.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings by J. M. Jeffrey of the Standard Theatre located at 285 Spadina Avenue. Elevations, floor plans, sections, detailing, a heating plan, a roof plan, a colour drawing of a theatre sign and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included. These drawings are the original permit plans that would have been used onsite during construction. Although Jeffrey is the name on the drawings, Benjamin Brown has also been credited as the architect for the theatre according to an August 31, 1922 Globe and Mail article detailing the opening night.
Name Access
Jeffrey, J. M.
Standard Theatre
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Drawings are torn and wrinkled. A conservator should examine these drawings before further handling.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 105
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
105
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1929-1930
Physical Description
41 architectural and technical drawings : some pencil, some blueprints ; 81 cm length or smaller and 9 cm diam.
1 photograph : b&w ; 38 x 30 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Balfour Building is a Toronto landmark and designated heritage building that is located at 119 Spadina Avenue. It was designed by Benjamin Brown and was one of his most important commissions. Built in 1930, the building is twelve storeys high and crowned by a two storey tower. It is considered one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture in Toronto. Initially, many Jewish garment businesses were located in the building. It currently houses offices for several graphic design and advertising firms, shops and a post office. The Balfour Building was declared a heritage building by order of City Council in July of 1989.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of the Balfour Building. Floor plans, a roof plan, detailing, sections, elevations, electrical plans and drawings of the entrance are included. Also included is a photograph of the exterior in the early 1930s.
Notes
Photograph is mounted on cardboard and encased in Melinex.
Due to the fragility of this material, the description and extent are partially based on Steven Speisman's item level descriptions.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Related Material
See photo 3308 for a copy print of the Balour building photograph in this file.
See File 49-3-34 for alterations to Lazar's restaurant in the Balfour Annex at 125 Spadina and File 49-3-32 for alterations to Balfour Annex stores for Messrs. Shiffer, Hillman and Lichtman.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 49; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
49
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca.1912]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm
Scope and Content
Photographic postcard of a young Benjamin Brown and Ben Hillman, who later became a clothing manufacturer, posing with an oar on the beach.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 49; Item 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
49
Item
3
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca.1912]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm
Scope and Content
Photographic postcard of a young Benjamin Brown and Ben Hillman, who later became a clothing manufacturer, in a canoe.
Subjects
Canoes and canoeing
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-2; File 1; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-2
File
1
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
July 1941
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 13 x 18 cm and 13 x 9 cm
Admin History/Bio
Joseph and Gertrude Schwartz were respectively born in the United States and Austria. They had four daughers, Sylvia, Helen, Fanny and Ruth. Joseph was a furier who eventually set up his own business, J. Schwartz & Co. Ltd., a fur manufacturing company on Madison Avenue. He later became a partner in the Park Plaza Hotel on Avenue Road. Helen married Dr. Isaac Shleser, a doctor of internal medicine, and had two daughters, Gillian and Jan. Fanny married Alex Solway and had two children, Herbert and Carol. Ruth was a respected book seller in Toronto. Unlike her siblings, Sylvia was a dwarf, who led a successful life despite her physical limitations. She became a prominent portrait photographer in Toronto and owned a studio on Grenville Road. In 1976 Sylvia set up a special children's book award to honour her late sister Ruth. In 2004, six years after Sylvia's death, her family changed the name of the award to the Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Children's Book Awards.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of (Back row, left to right) Helen (nee Schwartz) Shleser, Ruth Schwartz, Fanny (nee Schwartz) Solway, (Middle row, left to right) Joseph Schwartz, Gertrude Schwartz, (Frotn row, left to right) Carol Solway, Sylvia Schwartz and Herbert Solway.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Related Material
See Fonds 80, Series 5 for portraits of Schwartz Family members.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-2; File 1; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-2
File
1
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
July 1941
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 11 x 9 cm
Admin History/Bio
Joseph and Gertrude Schwartz were respectively born in the United States and Austria. They had four daughers, Sylvia, Helen, Fanny and Ruth. Joseph was a furier who eventually set up his own business, J. Schwartz & Co. Ltd., a fur manufacturing company on Madison Avenue. He later became a partner in the Park Plaza Hotel on Avenue Road.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of Joseph and Gertrude Schwartz.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Related Material
See Fonds 80, Series 5 for portraits of Schwartz Family members.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-2; File 1; Item 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-2
File
1
Item
3
Material Format
graphic material
Date
July 1941
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
David Rotenberg was born in Toronto on 24 July 1930, and is the son of Dr. Mattie and Meyer Rotenberg. He married Cecille Eisenberg, and received his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Toronto in 1952. He worked as an insurance agent, and served on Toronto City Council and Metro Toronto Council from 1961 to 1972. In the 1972 election he ran for mayor, and lost to David Crombie in a close, three-way race. Rotenberg was later appointed as a commissioner on the Toronto Transit Commission, and served from 1975 to 1977. He first campaigned for the Ontario legislature in the 1975 provincial election, and finished second against Liberal Vern Singer in Wilson Heights.
David has been named as an honorary officer in the Canadian Jewish Congress.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of David Rotenberg and his brothers.
Notes
This item has no proofs.
Subjects
Brothers
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-2; File 1; Item 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-2
File
1
Item
4
Material Format
graphic material
Date
July 1941
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Joseph and Gertrude Schwartz were respectively born in the United States and Austria. They had four daughers, Sylvia, Helen, Fanny and Ruth. Joseph was a furier who eventually set up his own business, J. Schwartz & Co. Ltd., a fur manufacturing company on Madison Avenue. He later became a partner in the Park Plaza Hotel on Avenue Road.
Carol Solway is the daughter of Alex and Fanny Solway, brother of Herbert Solway and the niece of Sylvia Schwartz.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of Joseph and Gertrude Schwartz with Carol Solway.
Notes
This item has no proofs.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Related Material
See Fonds 80 for portraits of Schwartz and Solway families.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-2; File 1; Item 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-2
File
1
Item
5
Material Format
graphic material
Date
July 1941
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Herbert Solway received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Toronto in 1953 and a Bachelor of Laws degree in 1955. He was called to the Bar in 1957. Herbert was a founding member of Goodmans LLP, joining the firm in 1955. He has played a significant role in helping build the foundation of the firm, serving as its chair from 1980 to 1992. He served as a Chariman until 1994 and Partner until 1998. He continues to serve as Counsel to Goodmans. He was appointed to the Queen's Counsel in 1968.
Herbert has also been a Director of Gluskin Sheff and Associates Inc. since May 2006. He is a Director of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and a Founding director of the Tarragon Theatre Company. He was a Founding director of Sun Media Corporation, as well as a Director of John Labatt Ltd.
Carol Solway is the daughter of Alex and Fanny Solway, brother of Herbert Solway and the niece of Sylvia Schwartz.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of Herbert and Carol Solway.
Notes
This item has no proofs.
Subjects
Brothers and sisters
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Related Material
See Fonds 80 for portraits of the Solway families.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-2; File 1; Item 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-2
File
1
Item
7
Material Format
graphic material
Date
July 1941
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (1 negative) ; 13 x 18 cm
Admin History/Bio
Joseph and Gertrude Schwartz were respectively born in the United States and Austria. They had four daughers, Sylvia, Helen, Fanny and Ruth. Joseph was a furier who eventually set up his own business, J. Schwartz & Co. Ltd., a fur manufacturing company on Madison Avenue. He later became a partner in the Park Plaza Hotel on Avenue Road. Helen married Dr. Isaac Shleser, a doctor of internal medicine, and had two daughters, Gillian and Jan. Ruth was a respected book seller in Toronto. In 1976 Sylvia Schwartz set up a special children's book award to honour her late sister Ruth. In 2004, six years after Sylvia's death, her family changed the name of the award to the Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Children's Book Awards.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of Helen, Gertrude, Joseph and Ruth Schwartz.
Notes
This item has no proofs.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Related Material
See Fonds 80 for portraits of the Schwartz and Solway families.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-2; File 1; Item 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-2
File
1
Item
8
Material Format
graphic material
Date
July 1941
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Joseph and Gertrude Schwartz were respectively born in the United States and Austria. They had four daughers, Sylvia, Helen, Fanny and Ruth. Joseph was a furier who eventually set up his own business, J. Schwartz & Co. Ltd., a fur manufacturing company on Madison Avenue. He later became a partner in the Park Plaza Hotel on Avenue Road. His daughter Fanny married Alex Solway and had two children, Herbert and Carol.
Herbert Solway received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Toronto in 1953 and a Bachelor of Laws degree in 1955. He was called to the Bar in 1957. Herbert was a founding member of Goodmans LLP, joining the firm in 1955. He has played a significant role in helping build the foundation of the firm, serving as its chair from 1980 to 1992. He served as a Chariman until 1994 and Partner until 1998. He continues to serve as Counsel to Goodmans. He was appointed to the Queen's Counsel in 1968.
Herbert has also been a Director of Gluskin Sheff and Associates Inc. since May 2006. He is a Director of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and a Founding director of the Tarragon Theatre Company. He was a Founding director of Sun Media Corporation, as well as a Director of John Labatt Ltd.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of Joseph Schwartz and Herbert Solway. Carol Solway is in the background, with her back to the camera.
Notes
This item has no proofs.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Related Material
See Fonds 80 for portraits of the Schwartz and Solway families.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-2; File 1; Item 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-2
File
1
Item
9
Material Format
graphic material
Date
July 1941
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Dr. Isaac Shleser was a doctor of internal medicine. He graduated from the University of Toronto in 1937. He was married to Helen Schwartz (d. 3 August 2007), the sister of Sylvia Schwartz, and had two daughters, Jill and Jan. He had five grandchildren, Dean, Natalie, Samantha, Duncan and Douglas, and one greatgrandson, Henry. He died on the 10 July 2007.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of Dr. Isaac Shleser and Leonard Hauser.
Notes
This item has no proofs.
Subjects
Physicians
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-2; File 1; Item 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Recreation sub-series
Family Gathering at the Cottage in Bobcaygeon file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-2
File
1
Item
6
Material Format
graphic material
Date
July 1941
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Joseph and Gertrude Schwartz were respectively born in the United States and Austria. They had four daughers, Sylvia, Helen, Fanny and Ruth. Joseph was a furier who eventually set up his own business, J. Schwartz & Co. Ltd., a fur manufacturing company on Madison Avenue. He later became a partner in the Park Plaza Hotel on Avenue Road. His daughter Fanny married Alex Solway and had two children, Herbert and Carol.
Herbert Solway received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Toronto in 1953 and a Bachelor of Laws degree in 1955. He was called to the Bar in 1957. Herbert was a founding member of Goodmans LLP, joining the firm in 1955. He has played a significant role in helping build the foundation of the firm, serving as its chair from 1980 to 1992. He served as a Chariman until 1994 and Partner until 1998. He continues to serve as Counsel to Goodmans. He was appointed to the Queen's Counsel in 1968.
Herbert has also been a Director of Gluskin Sheff and Associates Inc. since May 2006. He is a Director of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and a Founding director of the Tarragon Theatre Company. He was a Founding director of Sun Media Corporation, as well as a Director of John Labatt Ltd.
Carol Solway is the daughter of Alex and Fanny Solway, brother of Herbert Solway and the niece of Sylvia Schwartz.
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of Joseph Schwartz with Carol and Herbert Solway.
Notes
This item has no proofs.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Related Material
See Fonds 80 for portraits of the Schwartz and Solway families.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Protest activities sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 17; Series 3-5; File 15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Protest activities sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-5
File
15
Material Format
textual record
Date
Mar. 1972
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of notices and order information concerning the publication of a special illustrated Soviet Jewry Passover Haggadah by Mark Podwal. The Haggadah is a religious text which lays out the order of the Passover Seder ceremony.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Protest activities sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 17; Series 3-5; File 138
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Protest activities sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-5
File
138
Material Format
textual record
Date
Apr. 1986
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains a programme for a special Seder service for Soviet Jewry held 27 Apr. 1986 at the Holy Blossom Temple in Toronto.
Source
Archival Descriptions
29 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content