Shomrai Shabbos was an orthodox congregation that was founded by Galician Jews in 1896. They originally met in a room on Richmond Street in Toronto. They purchased a building in 1899 on Chestnut Street which was once a mission church. The first rabbi was Rabbi Yosef Weinreb, who was hired in 1899 when the synagogue opened. He was the grandfather of Sol Edell. The synagogue was in several downtown locations until it moved to Glengrove Avenue in North York in 1966. The congregation has its own cemetery located on Jones Avenue in the east end of Toronto.
Scope and Content
File consists of a Shomrai Shabbos ledger listing membership dues and donations for the years 1923 to 1935. The ledger begins with a list of members whose names are written in Englsh and Yiddish. Each member is assigned a number. The ledger includes entries for close to 400 individuals. Each page is assigned a number which corresponds to the names listed in the front of the ledger. Each entry includes the name of the individual, address, as well as the dates of each payment made by the individual to the synagogue.
Ledger is in very poor condition and requires conservation attention. The spine cover is missing and thread binding is disintegrating, there is some mould damage to the cover and likely some of the pages, the leather corners on the cover are rotting, and there is considerable water damage to the cover and interior pages.