Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
11 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
1
Material Format
multiple media
Date
[ca. 1900]-2000
Physical Description
49 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell, the son of Paul and Mollie Edell, was one of five siblings. He and Dolly Weinstock, the daughter of Moishe and Sylvia Weinstock, had two daughters and two sons and lived in Toronto. After Dolly died in 1961, he married Celia (nee Rogen) Hoffman, a widow, in 1966. He became the stepfather to the two sons of Max and Celia Hoffman who had been residents of Hamilton. Some members of the family remained in Toronto while others moved to other parts of Canada, the United States and Israel. Sol Edell was actively involved in or provided financial support to many educational, professional and religious organizations.
Scope and Content
Series includes correspondence, invitations, publications, photographs, family films and a sound recording. The series is made up of seven sub-series: Associations, Charities, Community Activities, Education and Extra-Curricular Activities, Life Cycle and Family Events, Religious, and Residence.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 12 photographs, 7 film reels, 1 audio reel, 1 plaque, 4 badges, and 47 architectural drawings.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Hoffman, Celia
Rho Pi Phi
Harbord Collegiate
Subjects
Education
Greek letter societies
Physical Condition
Film and sound reels should be digitized.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Edell's Drug Store and Elmhurst Pharmacy series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Edell's Drug Store and Elmhurst Pharmacy series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1947-1969
Physical Description
17 cm of textual records
3 photographs
7 architectural plans
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell graduated with a degree in pharmacy in 1943. After completing his military service he opened Edell's Drug Store and began working as a pharmacist. He subsequently opened two other drug stores, Edell's Drug Store located on Spadina Avenue and Elmhurst Drugs. Although he continued to own Elmhurst Drugs until his death in 2000, he retired from pharmacy in 1962.
Scope and Content
Series consists of material relating to the establishment and operation of Sol Edell’s pharmacy from the 3 locations where he operated drug stores. Series consists of financial records, newspaper advertisements, ink blotters, flyers and prescription envelopes from the 1940s and 1950s with the name and logo of Edell’s Drug Store. In addition, there is correspondence and legal documents pertaining to a planned renovation of the Queen Street store and the expropriation of the building by the City of Toronto. Also included is a photograph of a group of Toronto pharmacists.
Name Access
Edell's Drug Store
Elmhurst Pharmacy
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1955-[ca. 1983]
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
24 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
Elmdale Investments Ltd. was a corporation founded by Sol Edell in 1958. Sol Edell was the majority owner, although its shareholders also included his first wife Dolly, his second wife Celia and his father-in-law Moishe Weinstock. It was through this company that Sol Edell developed the Elmhurst Plaza property and managed the plaza. The corporation was still in existence at the time of Sol Edell’s death.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence and blueprints relating to the purchase of the property in 1956 and the construction of the Elmhurst Plaza in 1957. There are contracts and financial records dealing with the maintenance and rental of the plaza. Among the tenants listed were Oshawa Food Wholesalers and Power Supermarkets. The series also contains information about the shareholders of Elmdale Investments, Sol Edell's business cards, and company stationery.
Name Access
Elmdale Investments
Elmhurst Plaza
Oshawa Food Wholesalers
Power Supermarkets
Weinstock, Moishe
Subjects
Architecture
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1964-1993
Physical Description
8 cm of textual records
7 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
In 1964, Sol Edell invested in a retail textile store, Deltex Draperies Ltd., which had been founded by a group of businessmen including his cousin, Israel Edell. In 1971, they opened a second store, Dodd's Draperies Ltd., and in 1979, the two companies merged under the name Dodd’s Draperies Ltd.. In 1987, the store closed and the building was sold. During their lengthy business association, Israel Edell supervised the day-to-day operation of the stores while Sol Edell was responsible for the overall financial management and the construction of the new premises at 1445 Bathurst Street.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, minute books, documents of incorporation and stock certificates relating to the establishment of both Deltex Draperies and Dodd’s Draperies and the eventual merger of the two stores. In addition, series includes minutes and financial reports dealing with the operation of both companies. Also included are correspondence and blueprints relating to the construction of the building at 1445 Bathurst Street as well as the sale of that building.
Name Access
Deltex Draperies Ltd.
Dodd's Draperies Ltd.
Edell, Israel
Subjects
Business
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
5
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1958-2008
Physical Description
21 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Adas Israel is an orthodox congregation that was founded in the 1920s. The original building was on Cannon Street in downtown Hamilton. After the arrival of Rabbi Morton Green in 1958, a decision was made to move the synagogue to the western suburbs of Hamilton. The new building was built in 1961 and also included the Hamilton Hebrew Academy Day School. Since its move, synagogue membership has increased from 75 families to 350 families. Sol Edell became a member in 1966 after he married Celia Hoffman who was a member of the congregation. He did not attend the synagogue and had no regular involvement but did supervise a number synagogue renovation projects.
Custodial History
The material in this series was originally collected by the Hoffman family who were members of the congregation in the 1960s. Sol Edell became a member of the congregation after his marriage to Celia Hoffman in 1966. After her death in 1973, he inherited the material that she had collected and he continued to receive material from the congregation since he maintained his membership until his death in 2000.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, blueprints, photographs, audiotapes and films relating to the establishment and construction of the new synagogue in 1961. It also includes correspondence and anniversary books documenting a variety of synagogue activities such as the dedication of the synagogue and a tribute dinner honouring Rabbi Mordechai Green. Also included are synagogue bulletins from 1958 to 2000. The series is made up of 6 sub series: Building, Clergy, Religious, Programmes, Administration and Finance, and Publications.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 27 photographs, 3 audio reels, 1 film reel, 15 architectural drawings, and 1 key.
Name Access
Green, Morton, Rabbi
Hoffman, Celia
Hamilton Hebrew Academy Day School
Subjects
Architecture
Education
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Clanton Park Synagogue series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Clanton Park Synagogue series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
6
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1953-2008
Physical Description
54 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Clanton Park Synagogue was an orthodox synagogue that began as a shteibel in 1955 in the newly built up area of North York. Originally, services were held in homes or rented quarters. In 1957, land was purchased on Lowesmoor Avenue, and in 1961, the synagogue building was dedicated. The congregation, which initially consisted of 20 families, has grown steadily over the years and now has a membership of over 300 families. Sol Edell was one of the founding members of Clanton Park. He was president of the synagogue and served on the Board. He was involved in the purchase of the property and supervised the construction, the renovation and upkeep of the building. As well, he was active in the programmes sponsored by the synagogue such as the Long Life Club, which provided activities for seniors. He attended services on a daily basis and retained his membership until his death in 2000.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, architectural drawings, and films relating to the establishment, construction and renovation of Clanton Park Synagogue. It also includes correspondence, anniversary books, photographs, films and videotapes of various synagogue activities and events including: religious celebrations, social programs, anniversary dinners and rabbinical installations. Also included are synagogue bulletins and membership lists as well as financial and legal records. Finally, series also consists of architectural drawings and textual records documenting Clanton Park's cemetery and Sisterhood.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 648 photographs, 16 architectural drawings, 4 slides, 7 audio cassettes, 5 audio reels, 5 film reels, and 4 videocassettes (VHS).
Name Access
Long Life Club
North York
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
7
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1913-1999
Physical Description
22 cm of textual records
4 architectural drawings
2 photographs
Admin History/Bio
Shomrai Shabbos is an orthodox congregation which was founded in 1896. Sol Edell’s grandfather, Rabbi Yosef Weinreb, served as rabbi of the congregation from 1900 until 1942. The synagogue was in several downtown locations until it moved to its present location on Glengrove Avenue in North York in 1966. The congregation has grown steadily over the years and now has a membership of over 350 families. Sol Edell’s family were members of the congregation when he was a child. Although he retained his membership in the congregation after his marriage, he rarely attended the services at the synagogue. However, he did continue to participate in fundraising on behalf of the synagogue.
Custodial History
The earlier records were collected by Sol's grandfather, Rabbi Yosef Weinreb, or his father, Paul Edell. After their deaths, Sol maintained his membership in the congregation and continued to receive material from the synagogue.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the establishment, construction, membership and activities of the Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue. Included is correspondence, speeches, technical drawings, financial records, ledgers, a tribute book, legal records, flyers, bulletins, marriage certificate receipts, certificates, invitations, a photograph, and stationary.
Name Access
Felder, Gedalia, Rabbi
Yosef, Weinreb, Rabbi
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
8
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1978-2008
Physical Description
17 cm of textual records
102 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell had always been an active Zionist and in 1979 his son, Simcha, immigrated to Isreal. Following his son's aliyah, he became the founding chairman of the Aliyah Support Committee of the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and an active member of the local chapter of the Parents of North American Israelis. These two organizations respectively provide support for Torontonians and North Americans who have immigrated to Israel. This support includes facilitating the immigration process, providing financial assistance and maintaining contacts between the immigrants and the Toronto Jewish community. He was also involved with a group of Mizrachi members who wanted to build a housing project in Israel. Simcha Edell was an active member of the Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel which is an Israeli based organization that assists immigrants from North America. Sol Edell served as a liaison between this organization and the Toronto Jewish community. In addition, Simcha Edell, with his father’s assistance, published a directory of former Torontonians living in Israel, the Directory of Toronto Olim.
Scope and Content
The series consists of material relating to the assistance provided by the Toronto Jewish community to Torontonians who had immigrated to Israel. Included are records documenting the Aliyah Support Committee of the Toronto Jewish Congress, the Parents of North American Israelis, and the Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel. Records include correspondence, meeting notices, agendas and minutes, reports, publications, newspaper clippings, and Olim directories. Also included are architectural drawings of a housing project in Israel.
Name Access
Aliyah Support Committee, Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto
Parents of North American Israelis
Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel
Simcha Edell
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Cemeteries and funeral homes series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Cemeteries and funeral homes series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
9
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1953-2000
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
One of Sol Edell’s interests was ensuring the preservation of Jewish cemeteries. He was the president of the Jones Avenue cemetery, a member of the Board of Pardes Shalom and also served as chair of the Cemetery Committee of Clanton Park. He designed the archway at the entrance to Clanton Park's section located in the Roselawn Cemetery. He was also the synagogue’s representative on the Board of Directors of Steeles College Memorial Park.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence relating to the operation of various cemeteries and funeral homes including the Jones Avenue Cemetery, which was established in the late Nineteenth century. Also included is correspondence and financial reports from Steeles College Memorial Park. As well, there is a plot map of the International Workmen's Circle section in the Mount Sinai Cemetery, Bathurst Lawn Cemetery and Jones Avenue Cemetery. Finally, there are photographs of the Pardes Shalom Cemetery and three audio-visual recordings of Jones Avenue Cemetery.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 11 photographs, 4 architectural drawings, and 3 videocassettes.
Name Access
Pardes Shalom
Dawes Road
Jones Avenue
International Workmen's Circle
Roselawn
Steeles College Memorial Chapel
Mount sinai Cemetery
Subjects
Cemeteries
Funeral homes
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Heritage series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Heritage series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
10
Material Format
multiple media
Date
[1967?]-1993
Physical Description
34 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell was active in the collection, preservation and exhibition of historical material relating to the history of Canadian Jewry. He was one of the founders and Chair of the Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region / Toronto Jewish Congress Archives (later the Ontario Jewish Archives). Among his achievements were the restoration of the Kiever Synagogue and organizing the showing of the exhibit Journey into Our Heritage. In addition, he was a financial supporter of the Baycrest Museum, the Jewish Historical Society of Canada and a member of the Toronto Jewish Historical Society.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Sol Edell's heritage related activities, particularly his involvement with the Ontario Jewish Archives. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, correspondence, financial and legal records, photographs, flyers, press releases, brochures, administrative records, reports, lists, notes, sound records, architectural drawings, exhibit material, grant applications, invitations, and programmes.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 10 photographs, 3 audio cassettes, and 5 architectural drawings.
Name Access
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region / Toronto Jewish Congress Archives
Toronto Jewish Historical Society
Historical Society of Western Canada
Baycrest Heritage Museum
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Journey into Our Heritage
Subjects
Architecture
Nonprofit organizations
Synagogues
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
11
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1950-2010
Physical Description
77 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
In addition to his ongoing involvement with Clanton Park, the Canadian Jewish Congress Archives, the Aliyah Support Group, Jones Avenue Cemetery, Shomrai Shabbos and Adas Israel, Sol Edell undertook special projects on behalf of a wide array of Jewish organizations. These include cultural (Toronto Cantorial Scholarship Fund), educational (Netivot Hatorah and Yeshivat Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot), religious (Union of Jewish Orthodox Congregations), social welfare (Association of Jewish Seniors and Co-Ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly) and Zionist (Canadian Friends of Yeshivat Hakotel and State of Israel Bonds) organizations.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Sol Edell's involvement with a wide variety of Jewish educational, social and religious organizations and institutions in Canada, the United States, and Israel. Included are meeting minutes, publications, reports, photographs, correspondence, invitations, programmes, financial records, an architectural drawing, and a sound recording. While many of these organizations such as Eitz Chaim, Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot (educational), Mizrachi Organization of Canada, Emunah Women (Zionist) and Beth Jacob V’Anshe Drildz (synagogue) are orthodox, others such as Associated Hebrew Day Schools (educational), State of Israel Bonds (Zionist) and Co-ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly (social welfare) have no religious affiliation.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 26 photographs, 1 audio cassette, and 1 architectural drawing.
Name Access
Eitz Chaim
Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot
Mizrachi Men’s Organization
Emunah Women
Beth Jacob V'Anshei Drildz (Toronto, Ont.)
Associated Hebrew Day Schools
State of Israel Bonds
Co-ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly
Camp Moshava
Harbord Collegiate
Netivot Hatorah
Union of Jewish Orthodox Congregations
B'Nei Akiva
Toronto Committee for Bikur Cholim Hospital
Subjects
Charities
Children
Education
Fund raising
Older people
Religion
Zionism
Source
Archival Descriptions
11 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Language