Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
15 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Edell's Drug Store and Elmhurst Pharmacy series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Edell's Drug Store and Elmhurst Pharmacy series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1947-1969
Physical Description
17 cm of textual records
3 photographs
7 architectural plans
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell graduated with a degree in pharmacy in 1943. After completing his military service, he opened Edell's Drug Store and began working as a pharmacist. He subsequently opened two other drug stores, Edell's Drug Store located on Spadina Avenue and Elmhurst Drugs. Although he continued to own Elmhurst Drugs until his death in 2000, he retired from pharmacy in 1962.
Scope and Content
Series consists of material relating to the establishment and operation of Sol Edell’s pharmacy from the three locations where he operated drug stores. Series consists of financial records, newspaper advertisements, ink blotters, and flyers and prescription envelopes from the 1940s and 1950s with the name and logo of Edell’s Drug Store. In addition, there is correspondence and legal documents pertaining to a planned renovation of the Queen Street Store and the expropriation of the building by the City of Toronto. Also included is a photograph of a group of Toronto pharmacists.
Name Access
Edell's Drug Store
Elmhurst Pharmacy
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1955-[ca. 1983]
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
24 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
Elmdale Investments Ltd. was a corporation founded by Sol Edell in 1958. Sol Edell was the majority owner, although its shareholders also included Sol's first wife, Dolly; his second wife, Celia; and his father-in-law, Moishe Weinstock. It was through this company that Sol Edell developed the Elmhurst Plaza property and managed the plaza. The corporation was still in existence at the time of Sol Edell’s death.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence and blueprints relating to the purchase of the property in 1956 and the construction of the Elmhurst Plaza in 1957. There are contracts and financial records dealing with the maintenance and rental of the plaza. Among the tenants listed were Oshawa Food Wholesalers and Power Supermarkets. The series also contains information about the shareholders of Elmdale Investments, Sol Edell's business cards, and company stationery.
Name Access
Elmdale Investments
Elmhurst Plaza
Oshawa Food Wholesalers
Power Supermarkets
Weinstock, Moishe
Subjects
Architecture
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
3
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1955-1956
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence and legal documents relating to the purchase of the property by Sol Edell and its subsequent purchase by Elmdale Developments, a holding company controlled by Sol Edell.
Name Access
Elmdale Developments
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
3
File
4
Material Format
textual record
Date
1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence with Sol Edell's lawyers relating to compensation for a portion of the plaza property which had been expropriated by the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto.
Name Access
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
3
File
6
Material Format
textual record
Date
1980-1981
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence with Bi-Way, one of the tenants in the plaza. The correspondence contains details of the expenses to be paid by Bi-Way in addition to their rent.
Name Access
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
3
File
7
Material Format
textual record
Date
13 Dec. 1973
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The law firm of Newman, Reiber and Weinstock were tenants in Elmhurst Plaza.
Scope and Content
File consists of a letter from the auditors for the Elmhurst Plaza requesting confirmation of the outstanding rent owed by the firm of Newman, Reiber and Weinstock.
Name Access
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
3
File
8
Material Format
textual record
Date
7 Nov. 1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence with Loblaws, one of the tenants in the Elmhurst Plaza. The correspondence contains details of the expenses to be paid by Loblaws in addition to their rent.
Name Access
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
3
File
9
Material Format
textual record
Date
1956
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a lease agreement between Oshawa Wholesale Limited and Elmdale Developments, the company which operates Elmhurst Plaza.
Name Access
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3; File 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
3
File
10
Material Format
textual record
Date
1960-1971
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence between Power Super Markets and Elmdale Investments relating to the expenses that the tenant was liable for. Also included is a lease agreement between Power Super Markets and Elmdale Developments.
Name Access
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3; File 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
3
File
11
Material Format
textual record
Date
1975
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence with World Wide Electronics, one of the tenants in the plaza. The correspondence contains details of the expenses to be paid by World Wide Electronics in addition to their rent.
Name Access
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
3
File
12
Material Format
textual record
Date
1974-1981
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence between tenants and Elmdale Investment relating to expenses, rent and building repairs. Also included is a lease agreement.
Name Access
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3; File 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
3
File
13
Material Format
textual record
Date
[ca. 1981]-[ca. 1983]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of lists of tenants at Elmhurst Plaza.
Name Access
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
5
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1958-2008
Physical Description
21 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Adas Israel is an orthodox congregation that was founded in the 1920s. The original building was on Cannon Street in downtown Hamilton. After the arrival of Rabbi Morton Green in 1958, a decision was made to move the synagogue to the western suburbs of Hamilton. The new building was built in 1961 and also included the Hamilton Hebrew Academy Day School. Since its move, synagogue membership has increased from 75 families to 350 families. Sol Edell became a member in 1966 after he married Celia Hoffman who was a member of the congregation. He did not attend the synagogue and had no regular involvement but did supervise a number synagogue renovation projects.
Custodial History
The material in this series was originally collected by the Hoffman family who were members of the congregation in the 1960s. Sol Edell became a member of the congregation after his marriage to Celia Hoffman in 1966. After her death in 1973, he inherited the material that she had collected and he continued to receive material from the congregation since he maintained his membership until his death in 2000.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, blueprints, photographs, audiotapes and films relating to the establishment and construction of the new synagogue in 1961. It also includes correspondence and anniversary books documenting a variety of synagogue activities such as the dedication of the synagogue and a tribute dinner honouring Rabbi Mordechai Green. Also included are synagogue bulletins from 1958 to 2000. The series is made up of 6 sub series: Building, Clergy, Religious, Programmes, Administration and Finance, and Publications.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 27 photographs, 3 audio reels, 1 film reel, 15 architectural drawings, and 1 key.
Name Access
Green, Morton, Rabbi
Hoffman, Celia
Hamilton Hebrew Academy Day School
Subjects
Architecture
Education
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5-1; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
5-1
File
5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1961
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
25 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 25 cm and 13 x 18 cm
Admin History/Bio
The cornerstone was laid by Rabbi Morton Green, Max Hoffman and Samuel Katz.
Scope and Content
File consists of letter listing the individuals involved in laying the cornerstone of the Adas Israel synagogue as well as photographs of the ceremony. Identified in the photographs are: Rabbi Morton Green, Max Hoffman, and Samuel Katz.
Notes
Photograph is by Aron Studio.
Name Access
Green, Morton, Rabbi
Hoffman, Max
Katz, Samuel
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Synagogue dedication and laying of the cornerstone file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5-1; File 5; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Building sub-series
Synagogue dedication and laying of the cornerstone file
Level
Item
Fonds
4
Series
5-1
File
5
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
22 Oct. 1961
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 25 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of the crowd gathered outside Adas Israel Synagogue for its dedication ceremony.
Notes
Photograph is by Aron Studio.
Name Access
Green, Morton, Rabbi
Hoffman, Max
Katz, Samuel
Subjects
Crowds
Synagogue dedication services
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
15 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content