Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
32 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
Fonds
49
Series
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
textual record
Date
1919-1949
Physical Description
ca. 1000 architectural and technical drawings
2 photographs : b&w ; 38 x 30 cm or smaller
1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of architectural and technical drawings of commercial buildings that Benjamin Brown either designed or altered. Most of Brown’s clients were Jewish owned businesses, several of which were run by prominent members of the community. These businesses included Imperial Optical, Gelber Brothers Woolens, the City Dye Works, Schipper Brothers Furs, and the Empire Clothing Company.
Architectural plans of apartments, warehouses, theatres, service stations, banks, restaurants, stores, office towers, a bakery and a laundry are included. Several of these buildings are now designated as Toronto heritage buildings. These include the Balfour Building, the Hermant Building (eastern tower), the Hermant Annex, the Commodore Building and the Standard Theatre. Also included are plans of the headquarters of Famous Players Canada, which later became a subsidiary of Cineplex Odeon.
The majority of the drawings are either blueprints or pencil drawings on tracing or drafting paper, several of which are also in colour. Some are on linen weave or cardboard. Plans, elevations, sections, sketches, detailing, photographs of building exteriors, building specifications, and technical drawings of the buildings are included.
Physical Condition
Several drawings are in poor condition. See file level descriptions for further details.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
5
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1929
Physical Description
8 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 7 pencil on tracing paper, some hand col. pencil crayon ; 44 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Joseph Goldenberg was the owner of a dwelling and kosher restaurant located at 63 Elizabeth Street. After selling it in 1925, he purchased a new kosher restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue. Alterations and additions to the restaurant were made in 1929 and 1934 respectively.
Scope and Content
File consists of several floor plans and elevation drawings.
Related Material
See File 49-3-84 for the architectural drawings of the 1934 alterations to Mr. Goldenberg's restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
17
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1925]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pastel on verso of blueprint ; 47 cm length and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mrs. Celia Cherry was the wife of Isadore Cherry, who was the owner of several ladies clothing shops along Dundas and Bloor. Mrs. Cherry died in 1927, aged 39.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Cherry's clothing store at 1014 Bloor St. West. Contained within are a floor plan and a high quality pastel drawing of the front exterior, on the back of a previously used blueprint.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Bloor Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 19
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
19
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921
Physical Description
10 architectural drawings : ink on linen weave ; 51 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Nathan Rosenberg was the owner of several ladies' and children's clothing stores in downtown Toronto. Nathan, along with his brother Simon, were the co-owners of the Dainty Dress Company at 317 Adelaide West. He also owned the Exclusive Ladies Garment Company at 221 Richmond Street and was the president of the Exclusive Children's Cloak Company, which was headquartered at 44 York Street.
Scope and Content
File consists of various floor plans, sections and elevation drawings of a large three storey clothing store for Mr. Nathan Rosenberg on Dundas Street West. In 1925, Nathan Rosenberg owned Campbell Women's Wear, located at 124 & 130 Dundas St. West. These may be the drawings for this building.
Places
Dundas Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 28
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
28
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
1922-1924
Physical Description
23 architectural and technical drawings :19 pencil, 4 blueprints ; 61 cm length or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The City Dye Works was a cleaning and dying company that was owned and managed by Solomon Zaid and Isaac Siderson. In additions to their cleaning and dying services, the company sponsored a weekly 15 minute radio program each Wednesday on CFCA radio.
Scope and Content
File consists of plans, drawings, building permit receipts, and specifications of a large single storey factory located at 138-146 Claremont Street for the City Dye Works. Elevation views, floor plans, sections, and a drawing of the piping system are included.
Notes
Drawings are in two separate rolls.
Formerly listed as Commission X.
Physical Condition
One of the receipts is torn in half.
Places
Claremont Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 29
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
29
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1926
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil ; 62 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Sol Wilks was the owner of a stationary store and two commercial/residential buildings. One building was located at the corner of Robina and St. Clair and the other at 1034 St. Clair, where he also resided.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings for stores and an apartment building located on the N.W. corner of Robina and St. Clair for Mr. Sol Wilks. The building was three stories high and contained one, two bedroom suite and four, one bedroom suites. Floor plans and elevations are included.
Places
Robina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Saint Clair Avenue West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 35
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
35
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1924
Physical Description
7 architectural drawings : blueprints ; 41 cm length or smaller and 8 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of an apartment building located on Beverley St. for Mr. Benjamin Brown (in trust). Floor plans, sections and elevation drawings are included.
Places
Beverley Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 43
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
43
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1924
Physical Description
14 architectural drawings : 3 blueprints, 11 pencil, some hand col., pencil crayon, 8 on tracing paper ; 58 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Mooney Mirochnick was a Jewish druggist who owned several drugstores in Toronto at various times. Stores were located at 472 College Street, 267 Queen Street West, 162 Palmerston Avenue and 50 Arthur Street. Mr. Mirochnick died in November 1945.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to a two storey building containing stores and apartments for Mr. Mooney Mirochnick. Floor plans, a lot plan, a section and elevation drawings of the building are included.
Notes
811 Dundas Street West was an alternate address for this building.
Related Material
See File 49-3-44 for the architectural drawings of additions and alterations to the store located at 50 Arthur Street,
See File 49-3-45 for drawings of the garage of the Arthur Street building.
Places
Palmerston Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 42
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
42
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1925]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : blueprints ; 54 cm length or smaller and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
John H. McKnight had an office at 600 Bay Street, in the same building as Benjamin Brown.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans and elevation drawings.
Related Material
See File 49-3-9 for architectural drawings of a gasoline service station for Mr. John H. McKnight.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 45
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
45
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1920]
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : ink on linen weave ; 59 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Mooney Mirochnick was a Jewish druggist who owned several drugstores in Toronto at various times. Stores were located at 472 College Street, 267 Queen Street West, 162 Palmerston Avenue and 50 Arthur Street. Mr. Mirochnick died in November 1945.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a new garage for Mr. Mirochnick at 50 Arthur street. Drawings were completed by Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell, whom at the time were partners. Floor plans, a section, elevation drawings and a foundation plan are included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-43 for the architectural drawings of additions and alterations to the store located at 162 Palmerston Avenue.
See File 49-3-44 for drawings of additions and alterations to the Arthur Street building.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 49
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
49
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1929
Physical Description
10 architectural and technical drawings : 1 blueprint, 9 pencil, 1 hand col. pencil crayon, 1 on tracing paper ; 55 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam
1 photograph : b&w ; 25 x 20 cm
Admin History/Bio
Cumberland Hall was built in the late nineteenth century. In the late 1920s, the first floor was renovated by Benjamin Brown. At that time, the building was home to Uptown Cleaners and Dyers, Rosedale Sweets Tea Rooms and the Canadian Brotherhood of Chauffeurs. The building was torn down and replaced by a large commercial building around 1967.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of alterations to the first floor of Cumberland Hall at 824 Yonge Street for University Investments Limited. Floor plans, elevation drawings and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included. A photograph of the building exterior is also included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-101 for architectural drawings of a store and office building at the N.E. corner of College and Spadina for University Investments Limited.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 51
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
51
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1923
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : pencil ; 43 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey building for Mr. Charles Pusitz at 329 Queen Street East. The building contained a store on the ground floor and a two bedroom dwelling on the second floor. Floor plans, a block plan and an elevation drawing are included.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 53
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
53
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1928
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings : 4 blueprints, 1 pencil on tracing paper ; 42 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans.
Physical Condition
Tracing paper is torn and crumbling.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 54
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
54
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1926
Physical Description
22 architectural drawings : 12 blueprints, 10 pencil on tracing paper, 1 hand col. pencil crayon ; 55 cm length or smaller and 10 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a six storey apartment building designed in the Art Deco style. Elevations, floor plans and a block plan are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission V.
Physical Condition
Tracing paper is torn and fragile.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 59
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
59
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1922
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil, one hand col. pastel ; 44 cm length or smaller and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Harry Karlin owned a ladies ready to wear clothing company at 211-213 Queen Street East and resided in the same building.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, a section and elevation drawings of alterations to two stores at 211-213 Queen Street East, one of which was Karlin's, a ladies ready to wear clothing store.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 26
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
26
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1924]
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil ; 57 cm length or smaller and 8 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Sam Lichtman was the owner of a confectionery store at 2343 Dundas West and lived on the second floor above his store.
Scope and Content
File consists of a floor plan, a section and elevation drawings of stores and dwellings for Mr. Sam Lichtman at 2343 Dundas West.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission XIX.
Places
Dundas Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 68
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
68
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1923
Physical Description
27 architectural and technical drawings : 1 blueprint, 26 pencil, some hand col., pencil crayon ; 74 cm length or smaller and 11 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
The Gelber Brothers, Louis and Moses, were born in what is now Austria in the late nineteenth century. Together they founded the Imperial Clothing Company, which later became Gelber Brothers Woollens. Their head office was located in the Gelber Building at 217-225 Richmond Street West. Although selling woollens was their main business, the brothers had other investments, including ownership of a service station at Simcoe and Richmond streets, and a public garage at 287 Spadina Avenue. After the brothers died, the family sold the woollen business and invested in real estate.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of a public garage for the Gelber Brothers at 287 Spadina Avenue. Included are elevation and section drawings, floor plans and a roof plan. Technical drawings of the windows and door frame are also included.
Related Material
See File 49-2-7 for the architectural drawings of alterations and additions to the house of Mr. Louis Gelber as well as his biography.
See File 49-3-46 for architectural drawings and plans of a service station for the Gelber Brothers at the corner of Richmond and Simcoe streets.
See File 49-3-91 for architectural drawings of the New Textile Building for the Gelber Brothers at 205 Richmond Street West.
See File 49-3-90 for the architectural drawings of a woolens warehouse for the Gelber Brothers at 355-359 Adelaide Street West.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 69
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
69
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1929
Physical Description
8 architectural and technical drawings : blueprints ; 76 cm length or smaller and 8 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
The Empire Clothing Company, co-owned by Mr. William Leibel and Mr. A. M. Schiffer, manufactured men's clothing and sold it wholesale. Leibel and Schiffer were also close neighbors, living only a few houses apart. The headquarters of Empire Clothing was located at 197/199 Spadina Avenue.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of a building for the Empire Clothing Company at the corner of Spadina Avenue and Adelaide Street. The building is likely the Balfour Building, which was commissioned by the Empire Clothing Co., Sam Lichtman of Blue Bird Dress, and the Shiffer-Hillman Co. Many of the plans are of a structural nature. Floor plans, footing plans, schedules for placing support columns and detailing are included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-94 for plans of additions and alterations to the office headquarters of the Empire Clothing Company at 197/199 Spadina Avenue.
See File 49-2-4 for plans of private garage for Mr. A. M. Schiffer.
See File 49-2-6 for plans of alterations to home of Mr. William Leibel. Elevations and floor plans of an unknown building are on the verso of two of the blueprints.
See File 49-3-105 for plans of the Balfour Building.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 75
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
75
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-1924
Physical Description
20 architectural drawings : 7 blueprints, 13 pencil, some on tracing paper ; 45 cm length or smaller and 8 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
The Mavety Theatre was located at 215 Mavety Street, which is near the intersection of Dundas and Keele. In 1919, Joe Nevin created plans to convert the theatre into a cinema. In 1924, Benjamin Brown was commissioned by Mr. R. Thornton to make alterations to the theatre. It is unknown if these plans were implemented. The theatre was the site of several political rallies promoting workers' rights in the 1920s.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of alterations to the Mavety Theatre. In addition to Benjamin Brown's drawings, file also includes proposed plans to convert the theatre into a cinema drawn by architect Joe Nevin. Floor plans, sections, detailing and elevation drawings are included.
Notes
Due to the poor condition of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions created by Steve Speisman.
Name Access
Mavety Theatre
Thornton, R.
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile and badly torn.
Related Material
See File 49-5-11 for architectural plans designed by Herbert G. Duerr of a theatre on Kingston Road.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 88
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
88
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921-1924
Physical Description
44 architectural drawings : 4 blueprints, 40 pencil on tracing paper ; 81 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Dr. Max Kates was a Jewish dentist, his office was located at 218 1/2 Queen Street West. He was married to Lillian Kates, who was the founder of Camp Arowhon. They had two children, Eugene and Shyrle.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey building containing stores for Dr. Max Kates at Dundas and Elizabeth Streets. Sections, elevations, detailing, floor plans, a block plan and a roof plan are included. An early perspective drawing shows the building designed as three-storeys instead of the built two-storey structure.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions created by Steve Speisman.
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 90
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
90
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921-1922
Physical Description
32 architectural and technical drawings : 14 pen and pencil on linen weave and 18 pencil, some hand col., pencil crayon, some on tracing paper ; 77 cm length or smaller and 12 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
The Gelber Brothers, Louis and Moses, were born in what is now Austria in the late nineteenth century. Together they founded the Imperial Clothing Company, which later became Gelber Brothers Woollens. Their head office was located in the Gelber Building at 217-225 Richmond Street West. Although selling woollens was their main business, the brothers had other investments, including ownership of a service station at Simcoe and Richmond and a public garage at 287 Spadina Avenue. After the brothers died, the family sold the woollens business and invested in real estate.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of a large six storey woollens warehouse for the Gelber Brothers at 355-359 Adelaide Street West. Floor plans, a footing plan, detailing, a drawing plan, sections, and elevation drawings are included. Also included are technical drawings of structural elements of the building.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions compiled by Steve Speisman.
Physical Condition
Some drawings are fragile and torn.
Related Material
See File 49-3-91 for architectural drawings of the New Textile Building for the Gelber brothers at 205 Richmond Street West.
See File 49-2-7 for the architectural drawings of alterations and additions to the house of Mr. Louis Gelber as well as his biography.
See File 49-3-68 for architectural drawings of a public garage at 287 Spadina Avenue for the Gelber Brothers.
See File 49-3-46 for architectural drawings and plans of a service station for the Gelber Brothers at the corner of Richmond and Simcoe streets.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 91
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
91
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1923-1924
Physical Description
65 architectural and technical drawings : 7 blueprints, 58 pencil, some hand col., pencil crayon and watercolour, some on tracing paper ; 86 cm length or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Gelber Brothers, Louis and Moses, were born in what is now Austria in the late nineteenth century. Together they founded the Imperial Clothing Company, which later became Gelber Brothers Woollens. Their head office was located in the Gelber Building at 217-225 Richmond Street West. Although selling woollens was their main business, the brothers had other investments, including ownership of a service station at Simcoe and Richmond and a public garage at 287 Spadina Avenue. After the brothers died, the family sold the woollens business and invested in real estate.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of a large seven storey building at 205 Richmond Street West, commissioned for the Gelber Brothers. It does not appear that the Gelber Brothers ever used the building for their own operations, but rather, leased it out to other garment manufacturers. Elevations, sections, a roof plan, floor plans, a block plan and detailing of the entrance are included. Also included are technical drawings of structural elements of the building as well as schedules for the construction of the building.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions compiled by Steve Speisman. Drawings are located in two separate rolls.
This building was previously erroneously identified as the Gelber Building at 217-225 Richmond Street West.
Physical Condition
Some drawings are fragile and torn.
Related Material
See File 49-3-90 for the architectural drawings of a woollens warehouse for the Gelber Brothers at 355-359 Adelaide Street West.
See File 49-2-7 for the architectural drawings of alterations and additions to the house of Mr. Louis Gelber as well as his biography.
See File 49-3-46 for architectural drawings and plans of a service station for the Gelber Brothers at the corner of Richmond and Simcoe streets.
See File 49-3-68 for architectural drawings of a public garage at 287 Spadina Avenue for the Gelber Brothers.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 92
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
92
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1924
Physical Description
25 architectural and technical drawings : 1 blueprint, 24 pencil, some hand col., pastel, some on tracing paper ; 63 cm length or smaller and 8 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Phillip Berenbaum was the owner of Grace shoe and slippers manufacturers.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of a four storey shoe and slipper manufacturing factory for Mr. Phillip Berenbaum at the S.W. corner of Niagara and Portland Streets. Elevations, floor plans, sections, a roof plan and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description and extent are partially based on the item level descriptions compiled by Steve Speisman.
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Physical Condition
Very poor condition, a conservator should examine these drawings before further handling.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 94
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
94
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1923-1926
Physical Description
66 architectural drawings : 16 blueprints, 50 pencil on tracing paper ; 79 cm length or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Empire Clothing Company, co-owned by Mr. William Leibel and Mr. A. M. Schiffer, manufactured men's clothing and sold it wholesale. Leibel and Schiffer were also close neighbors, living only a few houses apart. The headquarters of Empire Clothing was located at 197/199 Spadina Avenue.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings for additions and alterations to the office headquarters of the Empire Clothing Company at 197/199 Spadina Avenue. Elevations, detailing, sections, floor plans and a roof plan are included. Also included are the drawings for the original factory, completed by Brown in 1923.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description and extent are partially based on Speisman's earlier item level descriptions. The drawings are contained in two rolls.
ACCESS RESTRICTION NOTE: Researchers wishing to access interior drawings must be granted written permission by the property owner.
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile and torn.
Related Material
See File 49-2-4 for plans of private garage for Mr. A. M. Schiffer.
See File 49-2-6 for plans of alterations to home of Mr. William Leibel.
See File 49-3-69 for plans of a building for Empire Clothing at Spadina Avenue and Adelaide Street.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 98
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
98
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1925]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on cardboard ; 29 x 27 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of a high quality colour sketch of the exterior of "Singer's" which sold cigars, tobacco, books and magazines.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 99
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
99
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1925]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. watercolour on cardboard ; 42 x 39 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of a high quality watercolour elevation drawing of a seven storey building for the Goldberg Brothers and Mr. Hartman. The building is likely the Fashion Building, but Benjamin Brown was not the chosen architect for the project; the contract instead went to Kaplan and Sprachman.
Notes
Scope and content note: For many years, Benjamin Brown has been miscredited as the architect of the Fashion building, in part due to his work on other buildings in the area, most notably the Tower, Balfour and Commodore buildings.
Related Material
See photo #3307.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 60
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
60
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1920
Physical Description
7 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 58 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, sections and elevation drawings of proposed additions and alterations to a single storey building on Simcoe Street for Mr. H. Goldstein.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 102
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
102
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1929]
Physical Description
11 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 10 pencil ; 64 cm length or smaller - 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Built in 1929, the Commodore Building is a large office building that once primarily housed businesses in the garment industry. It was designated a heritage building in 2005.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of the Commodore Building, which is a ten storey building located at 317 Adelaide West. Floor plans of each floor and an elevation of the entrance are included.
Notes
USE CONDITION NOTE: Researchers wishing to access interior drawings must first be granted written permission by the property owner.
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 104
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
104
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921-1922
Physical Description
27 architectural and technical drawings : 26 blueprints, 1 pencil and paint ; 81 cm length or smaller and 9 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Located at 285 Spadina Avenue, the Standard Theatre was the first purpose-built Yiddish theatre in Canada. Described as the finest Yiddish theatre in North America, it contained seating for 1500 and included a balcony. The Standard held its opening performance and ceremony on August 31, 1922. It became the site of a variety of Yiddish plays, musical performances and other entertainment. The theatre was also the scene of political activity during this period, including a 1929 gathering to commemorate the death of Lenin. In 1935, due to poor attendance, the theatre was converted into a movie theatre renamed the Strand. Over the next several decades, the theatre was used for a variety of purposes, including as a Chinese movie house and even as a burlesque house for a time. Most recently, the main floor of the building has been converted into a bank, while the upper balcony has been closed. The Standard was designated as a heritage building in 2007.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings by J. M. Jeffrey of the Standard Theatre located at 285 Spadina Avenue. Elevations, floor plans, sections, detailing, a heating plan, a roof plan, a colour drawing of a theatre sign and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included. These drawings are the original permit plans that would have been used onsite during construction. Although Jeffrey is the name on the drawings, Benjamin Brown has also been credited as the architect for the theatre according to an August 31, 1922 Globe and Mail article detailing the opening night.
Name Access
Jeffrey, J. M.
Standard Theatre
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Drawings are torn and wrinkled. A conservator should examine these drawings before further handling.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 105
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
105
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1929-1930
Physical Description
41 architectural and technical drawings : some pencil, some blueprints ; 81 cm length or smaller and 9 cm diam.
1 photograph : b&w ; 38 x 30 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Balfour Building is a Toronto landmark and designated heritage building that is located at 119 Spadina Avenue. It was designed by Benjamin Brown and was one of his most important commissions. Built in 1930, the building is twelve storeys high and crowned by a two storey tower. It is considered one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture in Toronto. Initially, many Jewish garment businesses were located in the building. It currently houses offices for several graphic design and advertising firms, shops and a post office. The Balfour Building was declared a heritage building by order of City Council in July of 1989.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of the Balfour Building. Floor plans, a roof plan, detailing, sections, elevations, electrical plans and drawings of the entrance are included. Also included is a photograph of the exterior in the early 1930s.
Notes
Photograph is mounted on cardboard and encased in Melinex.
Due to the fragility of this material, the description and extent are partially based on Steven Speisman's item level descriptions.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Related Material
See photo 3308 for a copy print of the Balour building photograph in this file.
See File 49-3-34 for alterations to Lazar's restaurant in the Balfour Annex at 125 Spadina and File 49-3-32 for alterations to Balfour Annex stores for Messrs. Shiffer, Hillman and Lichtman.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 106
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
106
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1920
Physical Description
40 architectural and technical drawings : 3 blueprints, 9 pen on linen weave, 28 pencil on tracing paper ; 88 cm length or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Hermant Building, located at 21 Dundas Square, is a designated heritage building that is actually composed of two connected office buildings and an annex. The nine storey western building was designed by architects Bond and Smith in 1913. The six storey Hermant Annex and fourteen storey eastern tower were designed by Benjamin Brown in 1920 and 1930 respectively. The building is named after Percy Hermant and served as the headquarters of his company, Imperial Optical, which for a time was the largest prescription lens business in the British Commonwealth. The buildings were designated as heritage buildings in 1990. Benjamin Brown's office was also located in the Hermant building during the 1940s.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of the Hermant Annex located at 254-256 Victoria Street. Foundation plans, floor plans, elevations, a roof plan, sections, a block plan and a lettering design for a building sign are included. Technical drawings of structural elements of the building as well as schedules for construction of the building are also included.
Physical Condition
Some drawings are fragile and torn.
6/16/2015: Records were sent out for conservation treatments.
Related Material
See File 49-3-97 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-37 for the architectural plans of a proposed storage building for Mr. Percy Hermant at 179 Ontario Street and for a biography of Mr. Hermant.
See File 49-3-58 for the architectural plans of a factory for Imperial Optical Co. at 270 Ontario Street and for an administrative history of Imperial Optical.
See File 49-3-63 for the architectural plans of alterations to the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-100 for architectural drawings of Montgomery's Tavern, located on the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-93 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at the S.W. corner of Dundas and Ontario Streets.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 97
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
97
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[between 1929 and 1930]
Physical Description
ca.100 architectural and technical drawings : blueprints, pencil on linen weave, some hand col. pencil crayon ; 95 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Hermant Building, located at 21 Dundas Square, is a designated heritage building that is actually composed of two connected office buildings and an annex. The nine storey western building was designed by architects Bond and Smith in 1913. The six storey Hermant Annex and fourteen storey eastern tower were designed by Benjamin Brown in 1920 and 1930 respectively. The building is named after Percy Hermant and served as the headquarters of his company, Imperial Optical, which for a time was the largest prescription lens business in the British Commonwealth. The buildings were designated as heritage buildings in 1990. The Hermant Building was initially built on Wilton Square - which was later renamed Dundas Square. Benjamin Brown's office was also located in the Hermant building during the 1940s.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of the eastern tower of the Hermant Building. Floor plans, cable plans, sections, elevations, detailing, sketches and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included.
Physical Condition
Some drawings are fragile and torn.
Related Material
See File 49-3-63 for the architectural plans of alterations to the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-106 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Annex.
See File 49-3-37 for the architectural plans of a proposed storage building for Mr. Percy Hermant at 179 Ontario Street and for a biography of Mr. Hermant.
See File 49-3-58 for the architectural plans of a factory for Imperial Optical Co. at 270 Ontario Street and for an administrative history of Imperial Optical.
See File 49-3-100 for architectural drawings of Montgomery's Tavern, located on the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-93 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at the S.W. corner of Dundas and Ontario Streets.
Source
Archival Descriptions
32 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content