Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
107 records – page 1 of 3.
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 38
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
38
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper, 4 hand col. pastel ; 32 cm length or smaller and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Henry Adelberg was the president of Adelberg Limited, which manufactured cloaks and suits and was located at 221 Richmond St. West.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to a three storey building containing a store and four bedroom dwelling for Henry Adelberg at the N.E. corner of Queen St. West and Brookfield Road. Floor plans and elevations are included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-77 for architectural drawings of a public garage for Henry Adelberg at 33 Dundas St. West.
Places
Brookfield Road (Toronto, Ont.)
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 94
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
94
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1923-1926
Physical Description
66 architectural drawings : 16 blueprints, 50 pencil on tracing paper ; 79 cm length or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Empire Clothing Company, co-owned by Mr. William Leibel and Mr. A. M. Schiffer, manufactured men's clothing and sold it wholesale. Leibel and Schiffer were also close neighbors, living only a few houses apart. The headquarters of Empire Clothing was located at 197/199 Spadina Avenue.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings for additions and alterations to the office headquarters of the Empire Clothing Company at 197/199 Spadina Avenue. Elevations, detailing, sections, floor plans and a roof plan are included. Also included are the drawings for the original factory, completed by Brown in 1923.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description and extent are partially based on Speisman's earlier item level descriptions. The drawings are contained in two rolls.
ACCESS RESTRICTION NOTE: Researchers wishing to access interior drawings must be granted written permission by the property owner.
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile and torn.
Related Material
See File 49-2-4 for plans of private garage for Mr. A. M. Schiffer.
See File 49-2-6 for plans of alterations to home of Mr. William Leibel.
See File 49-3-69 for plans of a building for Empire Clothing at Spadina Avenue and Adelaide Street.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
6
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : blueprint ; 54 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Morris Rubinoff was the owner of a drygoods store.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of additions and alterations to a store and dwelling for Mr. Morris Rubinoff at 510 Queen St. West. Sections, floor plans and an elevation drawing are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission VIII.
Places
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 32
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
32
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : 2 blueprints, 4 pencil on tracing paper, 1 hand col. pencil crayon ; 73 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
The Balfour Building is a Toronto landmark and designated heritage building that is located at 119 Spadina Avenue. It was designed by Benjamin Brown and was one of his most important commissions. Built in 1930, the building is twelve storeys high and is crowned by a two storey tower. It is considered one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture in Toronto. The Balfour Building was declared a heritage building by order of City Council in July of 1989. It currently houses offices for several graphic design and advertising firms, shops and a post office.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to two stores located in a single storey Annex to the Balfour Building, at 125 Spadina Avenue. One of the stores was Shiffer-Hillman Men's Clothing Manufacturing, owned by Elsig Shiffer and Benjamin Hillman. The other store was the Blue Bird Dress Company, owned by Mr. Sam Lichtman. Floor plans, elevations, a block plan, a foundation plan, and a sketch of the storefront are also included.
Physical Condition
Material is slightly torn and fragile.
Related Material
See File 49-3-34 for alterations to Lazar's restaurant in the Balfour Annex at 125 Spadina.
See File 49-3-105 for architectural drawings of the Balfour Building itself.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 72
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
72
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1940]
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings : 2 blueprints, 3 pencil on tracing paper ; 78 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
The Jolly Miller Hotel is a designated heritage building that was built in the late 1850s by the Hogg family. It is currently known as the Miller Tavern.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to the two storey Jolly Miller Hotel at 3885 Yonge Street. Elevation drawings, sections, floor plans and a foundation plan are included.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 85
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
85
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934-1935
Physical Description
8 architectural drawings : pencil, some hand col., pencil crayon and watercolour on tracing paper ; 72 x 69 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Doctor Leon J. Solway and Doctor Maurice Pollock were two of the earliest Jewish doctors to practice in Toronto.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to the offices of Doctor Leon J. Solway (a cardiologist) and Doctor Maurice Pollock (a general practitioner) at 425 Bloor Street West. Sections, floor plans and elevation drawings are included.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions created by Steve Speisman.
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Condition is poor, several drawings are badly torn.
Related Material
See File 49-5-12 for Kaplan and Sprachman's designs of the building.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 80
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
80
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1930]
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 57 cm length or smaller and 8 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings for an additional storey to a warehouse for Ace Properties. Floor plans, sections, detailing and elevation drawings are included.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 73
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
73
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1947
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil, 1 hand col., pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 55 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans of additions to a factory at 104 King Street East.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 83
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
83
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1935]
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 43 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Schipper Brothers was a large fur manufacturing company owned by Irving, Frank and Marcus Schipper. The brothers all lived at 84 Beverly Street. After the death of two brothers, the business was sold to Ben Krakower, Bert Shinwell and Syd Schipper. It closed shortly afterwards due to financial difficulty.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, a block plan, elevation drawings and sections for additions to a factory for Schipper Brothers at 1323-1325 Bay Street.
Related Material
See File 49-3-82 for architectural drawings of the original factory and apartment building at 1323-1325 for Schipper Brothers.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 81
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
81
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1930]
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 81 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions to a two storey factory building at 98 Munro for the Silver Products Co. Ltd. Floor plans, sections, detailing, a roof plan and elevations are included.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 84
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
84
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings : 2 blueprints, 3 pencil on tracing paper ; 61 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Joseph Goldenberg was the owner of a dwelling and kosher restaurant located at 63 Elizabeth Street. After selling it in 1925, he purchased a new kosher restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue. Alterations and additions to the restaurant were made in 1929 and 1934 respectively.
Scope and Content
File consists of a block plan, sections, floor plans and elevation drawings of alterations to a restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue for Mr. Joseph S. Goldenberg.
Related Material
See File 49-3-5 for the architectural drawings of the 1929 alterations to Mr. Goldenberg's restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
[ca.1935]
Physical Description
9 architectural drawings : 6 blueprints, 3 pencil ; 44 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Joseph and Abraham Lewis were the joint owners of the Dominion Printing Company, whose head office was at 259 Spadina Avenue.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of a two storey residence being converted into a single storey printing facility at 92 McCaul St. for Mr. Joseph Lewis. Several floor plans, sections, and elevation drawings are contained within. Also included is a fourteen page specification booklet detailing the work to be done on the building.
Name Access
Lewis, Joseph
Places
McCaul Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 44
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
44
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1917
Physical Description
11 architectural drawings : 4 ink on linen weave, 7 pencil on tracing paper ; 64 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Mooney Mirochnick was a Jewish druggist who owned several drugstores in Toronto at various times. Stores were located at 472 College Street, 267 Queen Street West, 162 Palmerston Avenue and 50 Arthur Street. Mr. Mirochnick died in November 1945.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings for alterations and additions to a three storey building located at 50 Arthur Street for Mr. Mooney Mirochnick. The first storey included two stores, one of which was Mr. Mirochnick's drugstore. The second and third stories each contained one large residential suite. Floor plans and elevation drawings are included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-43 for the architectural drawings of additions and alterations to the store located at 162 Palmerston Avenue.
See File 49-3-45 for drawings of the garage of the Arthur Street building.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 43
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
43
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1924
Physical Description
14 architectural drawings : 3 blueprints, 11 pencil, some hand col., pencil crayon, 8 on tracing paper ; 58 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Mooney Mirochnick was a Jewish druggist who owned several drugstores in Toronto at various times. Stores were located at 472 College Street, 267 Queen Street West, 162 Palmerston Avenue and 50 Arthur Street. Mr. Mirochnick died in November 1945.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to a two storey building containing stores and apartments for Mr. Mooney Mirochnick. Floor plans, a lot plan, a section and elevation drawings of the building are included.
Notes
811 Dundas Street West was an alternate address for this building.
Related Material
See File 49-3-44 for the architectural drawings of additions and alterations to the store located at 50 Arthur Street,
See File 49-3-45 for drawings of the garage of the Arthur Street building.
Places
Palmerston Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
7
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : 5 pen on linen weave, 1 pencil on tracing paper ; 49 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. J. Pearlman was the owner of a drygoods store and residence at 261 Danforth Avenue in the 1910s. In the 1920s, Mr. Pearlman moved his residence and business to 525 Danforth Avenue.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural plans for alterations and additions to a three storey building for Mr. J. Pearlman at 261 Danforth Avenue. The first floor contained stores and a billiards room, and the second and third floors contained accommodations for a five bedroom dwelling. Floor plans, sections, elevation views, and a block plan are included. This project was one of Benjamin Brown's earlier commissions.
Places
Danforth Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1934]
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 4 pencil, 1 on tracing paper ; 48 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Established in 1898, National Trust was a financial institution that managed the assets of trust funds and estates. It was headquartered at 20 King St. E., and merged with Scotiabank in 1997.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, sections and elevation drawings of a two storey building for National Trust at 28 Atlantic Avenue.
Places
Atlantic Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 64
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
64
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1935
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : 3 blueprints, 2 pencil on tracing paper, 1 pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on verso of blueprint ; 56 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of alterations to a two storey building located at 123-125 Yonge Street for Arcade Florists Limited, which was owned by George and Ben Yavner. Sections, elevation drawings and floor plans are included.
Notes
One drawing is located on the verso of a discarded blueprint.
Formerly listed as Commission XIII.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 18
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
18
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1948
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : 3 pencil on tracing paper, 1 pen ; 55 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Union Bakery was a large Jewish bakery owned by Abraham Stancer. The bakery was previously known as Stancer Brothers.
Scope and Content
File consists of proposed alterations to a two story building for Union Bakery Co. at 779 Dundas St. West. Several floor plans and sections are included.
Related Material
See Photo #1511 for a photo of Abraham Stancer.
Places
Dundas Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
12
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 44 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey building that was converted into a hotel, situated at 628-632 Bloor St. West. Floor plans and an elevation drawing are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission XXVI.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Places
Bloor Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 66
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
66
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1930
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper, 1 hand col., pencil crayon ; 68 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of alterations to three attached buildings at 76-80 Spadina Avenue for Mr. D. L. Smith. Each building was two stories and housed a store on the ground floor. Elevations, sections, floor plans and a foundation plan are included.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
4
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1935
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 62 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings for the conversion of a three storey building into a hotel at the S.W. corner of Queen and Augusta for Mr. Max Sherman. Floor plans and elevation drawings are included.
Name Access
Sherman, Max
Physical Condition
Material is fragile and somewhat torn.
Places
Augusta Avenue (Toronto. Ont.)
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 25
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
25
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1949
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : 2 blueprints, 1 pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 19 x 30 cm (folded)
Admin History/Bio
The Imperial Bank of Canada, which was founded in 1875, became one of the primary banking establishments in Canada. The bank underwent several mergers during its history. It merged with the Niagara District Bank in 1875, the Weyburn Security Bank in 1931, and Barclays Bank in 1956. The bank finally merged with the Canadian Bank of Commerce in 1961 to form the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.
Scope and Content
File contains floor plans for proposed alterations to a branch office of the Imperial Bank of Canada at 21 Dundas Square.
Physical Condition
Some rust on blueprints.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 21
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
21
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1948
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 52 cm length and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Originally known as the Bedford, the Park Theatre was designed in 1929 by Murray Brown. It was renovated and renamed the Park in 1948. Located at 3291 Yonge Street, the building currently functions as a pet food store.
Scope and Content
File consists of designs of the 1948 renovations to the Park Theatre. A floor plan and a sketch of the stage area are included.
Related Material
See File 49-5-11 for architectural plans designed by Herbert G. Duerr of a theatre on Kingston Road.
Places
Yonge Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
5
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1929
Physical Description
8 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 7 pencil on tracing paper, some hand col. pencil crayon ; 44 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Joseph Goldenberg was the owner of a dwelling and kosher restaurant located at 63 Elizabeth Street. After selling it in 1925, he purchased a new kosher restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue. Alterations and additions to the restaurant were made in 1929 and 1934 respectively.
Scope and Content
File consists of several floor plans and elevation drawings.
Related Material
See File 49-3-84 for the architectural drawings of the 1934 alterations to Mr. Goldenberg's restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 22
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
22
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1935]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 53 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans of a three storey rooming house at 1077 College Street.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Places
College Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
1
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1933
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 2 pencil on tracing pape r; 43 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of alterations to a two storey building for Mrs. I. Tohn. The building contained a confectionery and tobacconist store on the ground floor, and a two bedroom dwelling on the second floor. Floor plans, a block plan and several elevation drawings are included.
Physical Condition
Tracing paper is torn.
Places
Ossington Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 50
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
50
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1933
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : blueprint ; 54 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of alterations to the rear of a confectionery store at 809 Dundas West for Mr. Morris Alter. Floor plans and elevation drawings are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission XVII.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
17
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1925]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pastel on verso of blueprint ; 47 cm length and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mrs. Celia Cherry was the wife of Isadore Cherry, who was the owner of several ladies clothing shops along Dundas and Bloor. Mrs. Cherry died in 1927, aged 39.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Cherry's clothing store at 1014 Bloor St. West. Contained within are a floor plan and a high quality pastel drawing of the front exterior, on the back of a previously used blueprint.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Bloor Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 49
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
49
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1929
Physical Description
10 architectural and technical drawings : 1 blueprint, 9 pencil, 1 hand col. pencil crayon, 1 on tracing paper ; 55 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam
1 photograph : b&w ; 25 x 20 cm
Admin History/Bio
Cumberland Hall was built in the late nineteenth century. In the late 1920s, the first floor was renovated by Benjamin Brown. At that time, the building was home to Uptown Cleaners and Dyers, Rosedale Sweets Tea Rooms and the Canadian Brotherhood of Chauffeurs. The building was torn down and replaced by a large commercial building around 1967.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of alterations to the first floor of Cumberland Hall at 824 Yonge Street for University Investments Limited. Floor plans, elevation drawings and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included. A photograph of the building exterior is also included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-101 for architectural drawings of a store and office building at the N.E. corner of College and Spadina for University Investments Limited.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 59
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
59
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1922
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil, one hand col. pastel ; 44 cm length or smaller and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Harry Karlin owned a ladies ready to wear clothing company at 211-213 Queen Street East and resided in the same building.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, a section and elevation drawings of alterations to two stores at 211-213 Queen Street East, one of which was Karlin's, a ladies ready to wear clothing store.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
14
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil on tracing paper ; 54 cm length and 5 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of "The Alps" restaurant at 2872 Dundas Street West. Included are two elevation drawings and a floor plan on a single sheet.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile and torn.
Places
Dundas Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 63
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
63
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1936
Physical Description
9 architectural and technical drawings : 2 blueprints, 6 pencil on tracing paper, 1 on verso of blueprint ; 51 cm length and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
The Hermant Building, located at 21 Dundas Square is a designated heritage building that is actually composed of two connected office buildings and an annex. The 9 storey western building was designed by architects Bond and Smith in 1913. The 6 storey Hermant Annex and 14 storey eastern tower were designed by Benjamin Brown in 1920 and 1930 respectively. The building is named after Percy Hermant and served as the headquarters of his company, Imperial Optical, which for a time was the largest prescription lens business in the British Commonwealth. The buildings were designated as heritage buildings in 1990.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of an alteration to the ground floor of the Hermant Building at 21 Dundas Square. Elevations, floor plans, a block plan and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included.
Notes
Benjamin Brown's office was located in the Hermant Building in the 1940s; at the time he created these architectural plans his office was located on Bay Street.
Related Material
See File 49-3-97 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-106 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Annex.
See File 49-3-100 for architectural drawings of Montgomery's Tavern, located on the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-37 for the architectural plans of a proposed storage building located at 179 Ontario Street and a biography of Percy Hermant.
See File 49-3-58 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at 270 Ontario Street.
See File 49-3-93 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at the S.W. corner of Dundas and Ontario Streets.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 40
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
40
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1930]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : 1 pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on verso of blueprint, 1 pencil on tracing paper ; 63 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of alterations to The Spadina Building for Mr. H. Greisman. Floor plans and an elevation drawing are included.
Notes
One drawing is located on the verso of a discarded blueprint of a building for Power Investments Ltd. on 55 Charles St. West.
Places
Charles Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 36
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
36
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 58 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a store located at 1482 Queen St. W. for Mr. Louis M. Stern. Floor plans, a lot plan, a section and an elevation drawing are included.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile, somewhat torn.
Places
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 82
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
82
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1930]
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 44 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Schipper Brothers was a large fur manufacturing company owned by Irving, Frank and Marcus Schipper. The brothers all lived at 84 Beverly Street. After the death of two brothers, the business was sold to Ben Krakower, Bert Shinwell and Syd Schipper. It closed shortly afterwards due to financial difficulty.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey apartment and an attached fur manufacturing factory for Schipper Brothers at 1323-1325 Bay Street. Sections, floor plans and elevation drawings are included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-83 for architectural drawings of additions to the factory in 1935.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 54
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
54
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1926
Physical Description
22 architectural drawings : 12 blueprints, 10 pencil on tracing paper, 1 hand col. pencil crayon ; 55 cm length or smaller and 10 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a six storey apartment building designed in the Art Deco style. Elevations, floor plans and a block plan are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission V.
Physical Condition
Tracing paper is torn and fragile.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
10
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1936-1937
Physical Description
14 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper, 3 hand col., pencil crayon ; 62 cm length or smaller and 10 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a six storey apartment building at 10 Moir Ave. for W. J. Lovegrove Limited. Floor plans, elevation views, a section and a block plan are included.
Physical Condition
One drawing is torn.
Places
Moir Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 35
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
35
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1924
Physical Description
7 architectural drawings : blueprints ; 41 cm length or smaller and 8 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of an apartment building located on Beverley St. for Mr. Benjamin Brown (in trust). Floor plans, sections and elevation drawings are included.
Places
Beverley Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 103
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
103
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1935]
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 67 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey banana warehouse for Mr. Pasquale Meschino on St. Clair Avenue. Floor plans, sections, elevation drawings and a roof plan are included.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 95
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
95
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1935]
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper, some hand col., pencil crayon ; 68 cm length or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a three storey office building containing a Bank of Nova Scotia and several stores at 292 Spadina Avenue. Floor plans and elevations are included.
Notes
Drawings are located in two separate rolls.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 70
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
70
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1940
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 74 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Link Brass and Copper Co. Ltd. was owned by Mr. K. Link.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a building for Link Brass and Copper Co. Ltd. at 108 River Street. Sections, elevation drawings and floor plans are included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-71 for architectural plans of a foundry and forge building for Mr. K. Link at the rear of this building.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 74
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
74
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1937
Physical Description
14 architectural drawings : pencil, some hand col., pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 45 cm length or smaller and 8 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
William F. Bebell was the manager of the British-American Coal and Coke Company which was located at 143 St. Leonards Avenue.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey building at the corner of Avenue Road and Bernard Avenue for Mr. William F. Bebell. Among the drawings are floor plans of several different layouts for the building, containing various arrangements of apartments, offices and stores. Detailing, sections, and elevation drawings are also included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-79 for stores and apartments for Mr. Bebell at 2014-2016 Yonge Street.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 69
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
69
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1929
Physical Description
8 architectural and technical drawings : blueprints ; 76 cm length or smaller and 8 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
The Empire Clothing Company, co-owned by Mr. William Leibel and Mr. A. M. Schiffer, manufactured men's clothing and sold it wholesale. Leibel and Schiffer were also close neighbors, living only a few houses apart. The headquarters of Empire Clothing was located at 197/199 Spadina Avenue.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of a building for the Empire Clothing Company at the corner of Spadina Avenue and Adelaide Street. The building is likely the Balfour Building, which was commissioned by the Empire Clothing Co., Sam Lichtman of Blue Bird Dress, and the Shiffer-Hillman Co. Many of the plans are of a structural nature. Floor plans, footing plans, schedules for placing support columns and detailing are included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-94 for plans of additions and alterations to the office headquarters of the Empire Clothing Company at 197/199 Spadina Avenue.
See File 49-2-4 for plans of private garage for Mr. A. M. Schiffer.
See File 49-2-6 for plans of alterations to home of Mr. William Leibel. Elevations and floor plans of an unknown building are on the verso of two of the blueprints.
See File 49-3-105 for plans of the Balfour Building.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 99
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
99
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1925]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. watercolour on cardboard ; 42 x 39 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of a high quality watercolour elevation drawing of a seven storey building for the Goldberg Brothers and Mr. Hartman. The building is likely the Fashion Building, but Benjamin Brown was not the chosen architect for the project; the contract instead went to Kaplan and Sprachman.
Notes
Scope and content note: For many years, Benjamin Brown has been miscredited as the architect of the Fashion building, in part due to his work on other buildings in the area, most notably the Tower, Balfour and Commodore buildings.
Related Material
See photo #3307.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 58
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
58
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1939
Physical Description
5 architectural and technical drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 51 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Imperial Optical was founded in 1900 by Mr. Percy Hermant and was the first prescription lens business in the Maritimes. Percy headed the company until his death in 1959, and under his leadership the company eventually grew to be the largest company of its kind in the British Commonwealth. The head office was located in the Hermant Building (named for Percy) at 21 Dundas Square. After Percy's death, the company passed into the hands of his son Sydney, who sold majority control to the Caribbean based Harcourt Carter Optical in 1965. By 1991, Harcourt Carter Optical had assumed total control of Imperial Optical.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, elevations, sections and a roof plan of a two storey building for Imperial Optical at 270 Ontario Street. Building contained a storage facility, a garage, janitor's quarters and an employees' restaurant.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission IX.
Related Material
See File 49-3-106 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Annex.
See File 49-3-37 for the architectural plans of a proposed storage building for Mr. Percy Hermant at 179 Ontario Street, and for a biography of Mr. Hermant.
See File 49-3-63 for the architectural plans of alterations to the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-97 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-100 for architectural drawings of Montgomery's Tavern, located on the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-93 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at the S.W. corner of Dundas and Ontario Streets.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
13
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1930]
Physical Description
9 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 7 pencil on tracing paper, 3 hand col. pastel, 1 on verso of blueprint ; 47 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Owned by Mr. A. Levy, Levy Auto Wreckers was one of Canada's largest auto wreckers during the 1930s. The head office was located at 735/737 Queen Street West and it had a branch office at 464 Queen Street East.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of the head office of Levy Auto Wreckers. Floor plans, elevations, and sketches are included.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile, one is torn in half.
Related Material
See File 49-3-27 for plans of a branch office at 464 Queen Street East.
See File 49-5-10 for plans of stores for Mr. A. Levy on St. Clair Avenue that were designed by E. Telfer Arnoldi.
Places
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
Fonds
49
Series
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
textual record
Date
1919-1949
Physical Description
ca. 1000 architectural and technical drawings
2 photographs : b&w ; 38 x 30 cm or smaller
1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of architectural and technical drawings of commercial buildings that Benjamin Brown either designed or altered. Most of Brown’s clients were Jewish owned businesses, several of which were run by prominent members of the community. These businesses included Imperial Optical, Gelber Brothers Woolens, the City Dye Works, Schipper Brothers Furs, and the Empire Clothing Company.
Architectural plans of apartments, warehouses, theatres, service stations, banks, restaurants, stores, office towers, a bakery and a laundry are included. Several of these buildings are now designated as Toronto heritage buildings. These include the Balfour Building, the Hermant Building (eastern tower), the Hermant Annex, the Commodore Building and the Standard Theatre. Also included are plans of the headquarters of Famous Players Canada, which later became a subsidiary of Cineplex Odeon.
The majority of the drawings are either blueprints or pencil drawings on tracing or drafting paper, several of which are also in colour. Some are on linen weave or cardboard. Plans, elevations, sections, sketches, detailing, photographs of building exteriors, building specifications, and technical drawings of the buildings are included.
Physical Condition
Several drawings are in poor condition. See file level descriptions for further details.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 27
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
27
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1932
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings and technical drawings : 2 blueprints, 2 pencil on tracing paper ; 53 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Owned by Mr. A. Levy, Levy Auto Wreckers was one of Canada's largest auto wreckers during the 1930s. The head office was located at 735/737 Queen Street West and it had a branch office at 464 Queen Street East.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, a block plan and drawings of joist framings for Levy Auto Wreckers at 464 Queen St. East.
Related Material
See File 49-5-10 for plans of stores for Mr. A. Levy on St. Clair Avenue that were designed by E. Telfer Arnoldi.
See File 49-3-13 for plans of the head office, located at 735/737 Queen Street West.
Places
Queen Street East (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 106
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
106
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1920
Physical Description
40 architectural and technical drawings : 3 blueprints, 9 pen on linen weave, 28 pencil on tracing paper ; 88 cm length or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Hermant Building, located at 21 Dundas Square, is a designated heritage building that is actually composed of two connected office buildings and an annex. The nine storey western building was designed by architects Bond and Smith in 1913. The six storey Hermant Annex and fourteen storey eastern tower were designed by Benjamin Brown in 1920 and 1930 respectively. The building is named after Percy Hermant and served as the headquarters of his company, Imperial Optical, which for a time was the largest prescription lens business in the British Commonwealth. The buildings were designated as heritage buildings in 1990. Benjamin Brown's office was also located in the Hermant building during the 1940s.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of the Hermant Annex located at 254-256 Victoria Street. Foundation plans, floor plans, elevations, a roof plan, sections, a block plan and a lettering design for a building sign are included. Technical drawings of structural elements of the building as well as schedules for construction of the building are also included.
Physical Condition
Some drawings are fragile and torn.
6/16/2015: Records were sent out for conservation treatments.
Related Material
See File 49-3-97 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-37 for the architectural plans of a proposed storage building for Mr. Percy Hermant at 179 Ontario Street and for a biography of Mr. Hermant.
See File 49-3-58 for the architectural plans of a factory for Imperial Optical Co. at 270 Ontario Street and for an administrative history of Imperial Optical.
See File 49-3-63 for the architectural plans of alterations to the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-100 for architectural drawings of Montgomery's Tavern, located on the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-93 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at the S.W. corner of Dundas and Ontario Streets.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 104
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
104
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921-1922
Physical Description
27 architectural and technical drawings : 26 blueprints, 1 pencil and paint ; 81 cm length or smaller and 9 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Located at 285 Spadina Avenue, the Standard Theatre was the first purpose-built Yiddish theatre in Canada. Described as the finest Yiddish theatre in North America, it contained seating for 1500 and included a balcony. The Standard held its opening performance and ceremony on August 31, 1922. It became the site of a variety of Yiddish plays, musical performances and other entertainment. The theatre was also the scene of political activity during this period, including a 1929 gathering to commemorate the death of Lenin. In 1935, due to poor attendance, the theatre was converted into a movie theatre renamed the Strand. Over the next several decades, the theatre was used for a variety of purposes, including as a Chinese movie house and even as a burlesque house for a time. Most recently, the main floor of the building has been converted into a bank, while the upper balcony has been closed. The Standard was designated as a heritage building in 2007.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings by J. M. Jeffrey of the Standard Theatre located at 285 Spadina Avenue. Elevations, floor plans, sections, detailing, a heating plan, a roof plan, a colour drawing of a theatre sign and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included. These drawings are the original permit plans that would have been used onsite during construction. Although Jeffrey is the name on the drawings, Benjamin Brown has also been credited as the architect for the theatre according to an August 31, 1922 Globe and Mail article detailing the opening night.
Name Access
Jeffrey, J. M.
Standard Theatre
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Drawings are torn and wrinkled. A conservator should examine these drawings before further handling.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
107 records – page 1 of 3.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content