Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
514 records – page 1 of 11.
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Thuna family series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 25; Series 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Thuna family series
Level
Series
Fonds
25
Series
7
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[192-?]-1942
Physical Description
12 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Jack Edward Thuna was an herbalist who owned and operated a health food store in Toronto. The business dates back to 1888 and was started by his father, Dr. Max H. Thuna. The store was originally located at 436 Queen Street West and was called Thuna's Balsam Remedies, Limited. Jack and Max were also listed as chiropractors in the 1925 Toronto Jewish City and Information Directory. The store later moved to 298 Danforth Avenue and its name was changed to Dr. Thuna Nature Remedies. It still exists today on Danforth as Thuna Herbals.
Jack Thuna was married to Anne Levine in 1925, and they had two sons: Mortimer, born in 1928, and Alvin, born in 1934. Mortimer and Alvin also became master herbalists and helped run the family business. Alvin's son, Joel Thuna, is also a master herbalist who currently lives in Toronto.
Scope and Content
Series consists of photographs of members of the Thuna family.
Name Access
Thuna family
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Samuels family series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 25; Series 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Samuels family series
Level
Series
Fonds
25
Series
9
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1890]-[192-]
Physical Description
10 photographs : b&w ; 20 x 13 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Rebecca (Bessie) Samuels (née Levine) (b.1875) was Moses Levine’s sister. In 1895, she married Joseph Samuels (b.1874), at which time the couple lived at 116 Agnes St. and Joseph was employed as a tinsmith. He later became a retail merchant in Toronto and owned a hardware store located at 275 Queen St. West. Their children were Harry (b.1896), Fanny (b.1898), Ida (b.1900), Annie (b.1902), Mary (Martha) (b. 8 Dec. 1908), and Abe (b.1911). Harry was drafted in 1917, and, following the war, he and Fanny worked in their father’s store. The family also lived on Queen Street, but by the 1930s had moved to 410 Brunswick Ave.
Scope and Content
Series consists of photographs of the Samuels family.
Name Access
Samuels family
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Soskin family series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 25; Series 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Soskin family series
Level
Series
Fonds
25
Series
10
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[189-]-1951
Physical Description
23 photographs : b&w ; 26 x 21 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Martha Soskin (née Cass) (1866-1946), Sarah Levine's sister, was married to George Soskin (b.1858), a storekeeper in Waubaushene, Ontario. George was born in Poland and had been previously married. Martha and George were already married when they immigrated to Canada in 1888, via the U.S., where their first child was born, in St. Louis, Missouri. They had as many as ten children: Isaac (1886-1976); Libby (m.Rothbart) (b.1888); Minnie “Hannah” (m.Rotenberg) (b.1891); Benjamin (1894); Beulah (m.Cole) (1896-1953); Sarah Mary (m.Mendel) (b.1898); Lobe Yente “Tesa” (m.Narrol) (b.1900); Abram Benjamin (b.1902); Aaron (b.1905); and “Ralph” Ruben (b.1907). The family moved from Waubaushene after 1901, and were listed as residents at 16 Lansdowne Ave. in the Toronto West region in the 1911 Census.
Isaac married Channah Aungene Abramson (d.1979) in Saskatchewan in 1913. They lived in Los Angeles, where Isaac worked as a clothing merchant, and the couple later moved to San Francisco, where they lived until their deaths. Libby married Maurice Rothbart in 1912 and they moved to Chicago. Beulah married Al Cole in 1916, and the younger Soskin daughters, Sarah and Tesa, were both married in 1919, to Paul Mendel and Albert Narrol respectively. George retired and moved with Martha and the other adult children to Los Angeles, where Benjamin worked in the real estate business. The 1930 US Census record also lists Aaron, Tesa (then divorced), and her son, Albert Narrol (b.1921) as residing in the same Los Angeles household.
Mary Levine (1895-1990), daughter of Moses and Sarah Levine, married Saul Soskin (d.1953), George Soskin's son from his first marriage. They lived in Toronto and later moved to Los Angeles. They had three children: Morton “Bud”, Estelle (b.1922), and Fred (1929-2000). Estelle was married to Irving Liss and worked as a secretary. They were married in Los Angeles in 1946 and lived in Toronto, while the other members of the family remained in California. Bud married Lee and had a son. Fred worked in production control for an aircraft company. He married Diane [?] and had four children: Scott, Christopher, Robin (m.Barnes), and Maria.
Scope and Content
Series consists of photographs of members of the Soskin family.
Name Access
Soskin family
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Cass family series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 25; Series 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Cass family series
Level
Series
Fonds
25
Series
11
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1894-[192-]
Physical Description
15 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 15 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Abraham Cass (1840-1897) married Rachel Rebecca Cass (née [Cowart?]) (1837-1903). They were both born in Russia and immigrated to Canada in 1892 to join their eldest children who had already immigrated to Ontario. The children of Abraham and Rachel Rebecca Cass were: daughters: Fayge (m.Sax) (1861-1942), Hannah (m.Segel) (1863-1930), Martha (m.Soskin) (1866-1946), Dora (m.Levy) (b.1871?), Sarah (m.Levine) (1876-1978), and Annie (m.Smith) (1880- 1952); and, sons: David M. Cass (1869-1959), Bill Cass (b.1874?), and Phillip Cass.
Their son David Mitchell Cass had immigrated to Canada earlier than his parents, in 1889. His wife, Hannah (née Kleiman) (1870-1935), immigrated to Canada in 1890, and they were married in 1894. David Cass worked for Pregger's Grocery Dealer as a salesman and gave Moses Levine work-related advice in this area. David and Hannah lived, in Waubaushene and Tey Township, in Simcoe County, where they were neighbours of the Soskins and where most of their children were born. By 1911, however, they had moved back to Toronto. They had eleven children: Ethel I. (m.Gold) (1894-[1998?]), Infant Cass (unnamed, died at 7 weeks, 1895), "Abe" Abraham B. (1897-1987), Leah G. (m.Harser) (1899-1975), Sarah "Sec" Marie (m.Rogers) (1901-1932), Ely "Hilly" (b.1902), "Reuben" Garfield P. (1904-1991), Dorothy (m.Sandler) (b.1906), Anne (m.Solway) (1907-1994), Rita (m.Appleby), and Libby (m.Balick).
As a new immigrant to Canada, having emigrated from Russia in 1896, Louis Smith (1873-1945) was registered as a tailor in the 1901 federal census. He later worked as a contractor in Toronto. He was married to Annie Cass, Sarah Levine's sister, in 1901 and they lived together at 5 Edward Street, along with Rachel Rebecca Cass, with whom they cohabitated following the death of Abraham Cass.
David and Hannah's son, Abraham Cass, was married to Carrie (née Waldman) in 1922. Garfield married Dorothy (née Simon) and had two children, Donna and Danny. Anne Solway was married to a prominent Toronto violinist and music teacher, Maurice Solway (1906-2001), and they had one son, Stephen.
Scope and Content
Series consists of photographs of members of the Cass family.
Name Access
Cass family
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Sax family series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 25; Series 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Sax family series
Level
Series
Fonds
25
Series
13
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[189-?]-[192-?]
Physical Description
7 photographs : b&w ; 16 x 10 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Sarah Levine (née Cass) had an elder sister named Fayge “Fanny” Cass (1861-1942). Fayge married a Mr. Sax and lived in the United States. They had a son named Morris (d.1947?) and also had a daughter, possibly named Eva.
Scope and Content
Series consists of photographs of members of the Sax family taken in Toronto and the United States.
Name Access
Sax family
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Weiner family series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 25; Series 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Weiner family series
Level
Series
Fonds
25
Series
14
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1900]-[192-?]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 14 x 9 cm and 13 x 10 cm (oval)
Admin History/Bio
Julius Weiner was born in Russia on 10 April 1892. He married Fanny Salamansky (b.1893), who was the daughter of Annie (née Levine) and Pesach Salamansky, and niece of Moses Levine. The Weiner's had four children named Ray [Rachel?], Abraham, Charles, and Bess. Julius was a tailor who was also active in the community, especially after he retired. He was one of the oldest members of both B'nai Brith and B'nai Zion. He was also involved in the fundraising efforts for the United Jewish Appeal and received honours for his humanitarian services. He was a member of Beth Lida synagogue.
Scope and Content
Series consists of photographs of members of the Weiner family.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Levy family series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 25; Series 15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Levy family series
Level
Series
Fonds
25
Series
15
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1902]-[192-?]
Physical Description
5 photographs : b&w ; 24 x 17 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Mrs. Dora Levy was the daughter of Abraham and Rebecca Cass and the sister of Sarah (Cass) Levine. She was born in Russia in 1870 and immigrated to Canada in 1889. She married Charles Levy (b. 1869) on 10 February 1892 in Toronto.
Shortly thereafter, they moved to Allerston, Ontario, where he opened up a store. The couple had four children: Tobias (b. 1892), Louis (b. 1894), Benjamin (b. 1897) and Esther (b. 1899). Tobias, who was also referred to as Theodore or Ted, married Rhoda Davis on 12 June 1919. His sister, Esther, married Joseph Kert on 6 November 1921.
Scope and Content
Series consists of photographs of members of the Levy family.
Name Access
Levy family
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Rosenbes family series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 25; Series 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Rosenbes family series
Level
Series
Fonds
25
Series
16
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1904]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 16 x 11 cm
Admin History/Bio
Kate Rosenbes (née Woods) (1878-1924) was related to Michael Levine, Moses Levine's brother, through marriage. Michael Levine was married to Anne Woods. Both Anne and Kate were born in England and immigrated to Canada in 1890. Kate married Harry Rosenbes and they lived at 171 Harbord St., and had two children: Martha (b. 1904) and Morris (b. 1905).
Scope and Content
Series consists of a photograph of members of the Rosenbes family.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Miscellaneous family members series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 25; Series 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Miscellaneous family members series
Level
Series
Fonds
25
Series
17
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[188-?]-[193-?]
Physical Description
5 photographs : b&w ; 14 x 10 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Series consists of photographs of individuals whose relationship to the Levine family is not known. These include members of the Samuel, Keyfetz, Wineberg, and Gold families as well as one identified as Ethel C.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Moses Levine family series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 25; Series 1; Item 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Moses Levine family series
Level
Item
Fonds
25
Series
1
Item
8
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1915]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 16 x 21 cm (sight) on mat 25 x 30 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a class portrait of the students and teacher in the Lansdowne School manual training class. Harry Levine is fourth from the right.
Name Access
Levine, Harry
Subjects
Manual training
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Moses Levine family series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 25; Series 1; Item 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Moses Levine family series
Level
Item
Fonds
25
Series
1
Item
9
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1915]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 16 x 21 cm (sight) on mat 25 x 30 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of the teacher and students in the Lansdowne School manual training class in Toronto. Many of the boys are wearing aprons and are holding various woodworking tools. The second boy from the right in the front row may be Abe Levine.
Name Access
Levine, Abe
Subjects
Manual training
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Soskin family series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 25; Series 10; Item 20
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Soskin family series
Level
Item
Fonds
25
Series
10
Item
20
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[1946?]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 18 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
This photo appears to be a match with the other photos of Bud and Lee's baby.
Name Access
Soskin, Bud
Soskin, Lee
Subjects
Infants
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Soskin family series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 25; Series 10; Item 21
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Soskin family series
Level
Item
Fonds
25
Series
10
Item
21
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1950]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 10 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
These children appear to be the same children, only younger, as in photos #160 & #161.
Notes
Photographer: Home Portrait Co.
Mounted in card frame.
Name Access
Liss family
Subjects
Children
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Sax family series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 25; Series 13; Item 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Sax family series
Level
Item
Fonds
25
Series
13
Item
7
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[192-?]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 16 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This photograph appears to be the same likeness as another photograph in the series identified as Morris Sax (item 6). The gentleman is posed with his arms folded over his chest and his head lowered, and he is dressed in formal attire.
Notes
Mounted in a folding card.
Name Access
Sax, Morris
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Moses Levine family series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 25; Series 1; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Moses Levine family series
Level
File
Fonds
25
Series
1
File
1
Material Format
object
textual record
Date
1966-1976
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains a certificate granting Sarah Levine (née Cass) life membership at the Women's Auxiliary Baycrest Center for Geriatric Care (1973); 1 small box containing plaque honouring occasion of 90th birthday (1966); a 94th birthday certificate from the Government of Ontario (1970); a 100th birthday certificate from the Government of Ontario (1976) and, three telegrams honouring the occasion of her 94th birthday (1970).
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1982-8-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
Fonds
49
Series
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
textual record
Date
1919-1949
Physical Description
ca. 1000 architectural and technical drawings
2 photographs : b&w ; 38 x 30 cm or smaller
1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of architectural and technical drawings of commercial buildings that Benjamin Brown either designed or altered. Most of Brown’s clients were Jewish owned businesses, several of which were run by prominent members of the community. These businesses included Imperial Optical, Gelber Brothers Woolens, the City Dye Works, Schipper Brothers Furs, and the Empire Clothing Company.
Architectural plans of apartments, warehouses, theatres, service stations, banks, restaurants, stores, office towers, a bakery and a laundry are included. Several of these buildings are now designated as Toronto heritage buildings. These include the Balfour Building, the Hermant Building (eastern tower), the Hermant Annex, the Commodore Building and the Standard Theatre. Also included are plans of the headquarters of Famous Players Canada, which later became a subsidiary of Cineplex Odeon.
The majority of the drawings are either blueprints or pencil drawings on tracing or drafting paper, several of which are also in colour. Some are on linen weave or cardboard. Plans, elevations, sections, sketches, detailing, photographs of building exteriors, building specifications, and technical drawings of the buildings are included.
Physical Condition
Several drawings are in poor condition. See file level descriptions for further details.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
1
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1933
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 2 pencil on tracing pape r; 43 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of alterations to a two storey building for Mrs. I. Tohn. The building contained a confectionery and tobacconist store on the ground floor, and a two bedroom dwelling on the second floor. Floor plans, a block plan and several elevation drawings are included.
Physical Condition
Tracing paper is torn.
Places
Ossington Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1934]
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 4 pencil, 1 on tracing paper ; 48 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Established in 1898, National Trust was a financial institution that managed the assets of trust funds and estates. It was headquartered at 20 King St. E., and merged with Scotiabank in 1997.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, sections and elevation drawings of a two storey building for National Trust at 28 Atlantic Avenue.
Places
Atlantic Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
[ca.1935]
Physical Description
9 architectural drawings : 6 blueprints, 3 pencil ; 44 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Joseph and Abraham Lewis were the joint owners of the Dominion Printing Company, whose head office was at 259 Spadina Avenue.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of a two storey residence being converted into a single storey printing facility at 92 McCaul St. for Mr. Joseph Lewis. Several floor plans, sections, and elevation drawings are contained within. Also included is a fourteen page specification booklet detailing the work to be done on the building.
Name Access
Lewis, Joseph
Places
McCaul Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
5
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1929
Physical Description
8 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 7 pencil on tracing paper, some hand col. pencil crayon ; 44 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Joseph Goldenberg was the owner of a dwelling and kosher restaurant located at 63 Elizabeth Street. After selling it in 1925, he purchased a new kosher restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue. Alterations and additions to the restaurant were made in 1929 and 1934 respectively.
Scope and Content
File consists of several floor plans and elevation drawings.
Related Material
See File 49-3-84 for the architectural drawings of the 1934 alterations to Mr. Goldenberg's restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
6
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : blueprint ; 54 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Morris Rubinoff was the owner of a drygoods store.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of additions and alterations to a store and dwelling for Mr. Morris Rubinoff at 510 Queen St. West. Sections, floor plans and an elevation drawing are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission VIII.
Places
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
7
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : 5 pen on linen weave, 1 pencil on tracing paper ; 49 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. J. Pearlman was the owner of a drygoods store and residence at 261 Danforth Avenue in the 1910s. In the 1920s, Mr. Pearlman moved his residence and business to 525 Danforth Avenue.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural plans for alterations and additions to a three storey building for Mr. J. Pearlman at 261 Danforth Avenue. The first floor contained stores and a billiards room, and the second and third floors contained accommodations for a five bedroom dwelling. Floor plans, sections, elevation views, and a block plan are included. This project was one of Benjamin Brown's earlier commissions.
Places
Danforth Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
8
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1936
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil on tracing paper ; 42 cm length and 2 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Toronto Macaroni was an Italian owned company, located at 2738 Dundas West. One of the owners was Domenico Viggiani, who sold his wife's spaghetti sauce under the Mamma Bravo label. In the 1960s, Toronto Macaroni was bought by General Mills. The Mamma Bravo label was later sold to Heinz.
Scope and Content
File contains the plans of a four gate garage at the rear of a building on Hook Avenue for the Toronto Macaroni Company. Floor plans, a block plan, elevation views and sections are included.
Places
Hook Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
9
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
3 architectural and technical drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 46 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
John H. McKnight had an office at 600 Bay Street, in the same building as Benjamin Brown.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, sections, elevation views and the design of a gasoline and oil interceptor.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Related Material
See File 49-3-42 for architectural drawings of a machine shop for Mr. John H. McKnight.
Places
Bay Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
10
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1936-1937
Physical Description
14 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper, 3 hand col., pencil crayon ; 62 cm length or smaller and 10 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a six storey apartment building at 10 Moir Ave. for W. J. Lovegrove Limited. Floor plans, elevation views, a section and a block plan are included.
Physical Condition
One drawing is torn.
Places
Moir Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
11
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934-1935
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 46 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of proposed alterations to the Calanco-Tywon Hotel at 78-80 Centre Avenue. The hotel was a two storey structure located in Chinatown near Dundas and University. Floors plans and elevation drawings are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission XXV.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Places
Centre Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
12
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 44 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey building that was converted into a hotel, situated at 628-632 Bloor St. West. Floor plans and an elevation drawing are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission XXVI.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Places
Bloor Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
13
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1930]
Physical Description
9 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 7 pencil on tracing paper, 3 hand col. pastel, 1 on verso of blueprint ; 47 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Owned by Mr. A. Levy, Levy Auto Wreckers was one of Canada's largest auto wreckers during the 1930s. The head office was located at 735/737 Queen Street West and it had a branch office at 464 Queen Street East.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of the head office of Levy Auto Wreckers. Floor plans, elevations, and sketches are included.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile, one is torn in half.
Related Material
See File 49-3-27 for plans of a branch office at 464 Queen Street East.
See File 49-5-10 for plans of stores for Mr. A. Levy on St. Clair Avenue that were designed by E. Telfer Arnoldi.
Places
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
14
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil on tracing paper ; 54 cm length and 5 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of "The Alps" restaurant at 2872 Dundas Street West. Included are two elevation drawings and a floor plan on a single sheet.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile and torn.
Places
Dundas Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
15
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1935-1936
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 46 cm length or smaller and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Morris Spring was a Jewish real-estate agent and developer. In 1932-33, Mr. Spring purchased and developed several properties in the Hillcrest and Casa Loma areas, as well as the Bloor-Landsdowne area.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of three connected buildings containing stores and dwellings commissioned by Mr. Morris Spring. They were located at 1248-1252 Bloor St. West. The buildings were all two storeys high and had shops on the ground floor and dwellings on the second floor. Floor plans, sections and elevation drawings are included.
Notes
Originally was separated into two projects - Commission no.XXII and XXXII - according to Speisman's finding aid.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Related Material
See File 49-2-3 for the plans of a residence for Mr. Spring at 43 Hillcrest Drive.
See File 49-2-10 for the plans of a residence for Mr. Spring at 19 Austin Crescent.
Places
Bloor Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
16
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1936
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : pencil and hand col., watercolour, on verso of blueprints ; 38 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of three high quality drawings of the interior and exterior of "My Valet", a single storey clothing store located at 1492 1/2 Bathurst Street for Mr. C. W. Fountain.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Bathurst Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
17
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1925]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pastel on verso of blueprint ; 47 cm length and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mrs. Celia Cherry was the wife of Isadore Cherry, who was the owner of several ladies clothing shops along Dundas and Bloor. Mrs. Cherry died in 1927, aged 39.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Cherry's clothing store at 1014 Bloor St. West. Contained within are a floor plan and a high quality pastel drawing of the front exterior, on the back of a previously used blueprint.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Bloor Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 19
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
19
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921
Physical Description
10 architectural drawings : ink on linen weave ; 51 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Nathan Rosenberg was the owner of several ladies' and children's clothing stores in downtown Toronto. Nathan, along with his brother Simon, were the co-owners of the Dainty Dress Company at 317 Adelaide West. He also owned the Exclusive Ladies Garment Company at 221 Richmond Street and was the president of the Exclusive Children's Cloak Company, which was headquartered at 44 York Street.
Scope and Content
File consists of various floor plans, sections and elevation drawings of a large three storey clothing store for Mr. Nathan Rosenberg on Dundas Street West. In 1925, Nathan Rosenberg owned Campbell Women's Wear, located at 124 & 130 Dundas St. West. These may be the drawings for this building.
Places
Dundas Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 18
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
18
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1948
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : 3 pencil on tracing paper, 1 pen ; 55 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Union Bakery was a large Jewish bakery owned by Abraham Stancer. The bakery was previously known as Stancer Brothers.
Scope and Content
File consists of proposed alterations to a two story building for Union Bakery Co. at 779 Dundas St. West. Several floor plans and sections are included.
Related Material
See Photo #1511 for a photo of Abraham Stancer.
Places
Dundas Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 39
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
39
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1930]
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : pencil, 1 on tracing paper ; 50 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of a ground floor plan, front elevation and a longitudinal section of a proposed three storey apartment building at 4 Spadina Road.
Places
Spadina Road (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 21
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
21
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1948
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 52 cm length and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Originally known as the Bedford, the Park Theatre was designed in 1929 by Murray Brown. It was renovated and renamed the Park in 1948. Located at 3291 Yonge Street, the building currently functions as a pet food store.
Scope and Content
File consists of designs of the 1948 renovations to the Park Theatre. A floor plan and a sketch of the stage area are included.
Related Material
See File 49-5-11 for architectural plans designed by Herbert G. Duerr of a theatre on Kingston Road.
Places
Yonge Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 22
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
22
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1935]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 53 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans of a three storey rooming house at 1077 College Street.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Places
College Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 24
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
24
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1930]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 47 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Nelson and Tanz Furriers was a fur manufacturing company jointly owned by Abram Nelson and Louis Tanz. The company was headquartered at 167 Richmond St. W. in the 1920s, and moved to 600 Bay Street in the 1930s.
Scope and Content
File consists of one floor plan for the headquarters of Nelson and Tanz Furriers at 600 Bay Street.
Physical Condition
Fragile and badly torn.
Places
Bay Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 27
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
27
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1932
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings and technical drawings : 2 blueprints, 2 pencil on tracing paper ; 53 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Owned by Mr. A. Levy, Levy Auto Wreckers was one of Canada's largest auto wreckers during the 1930s. The head office was located at 735/737 Queen Street West and it had a branch office at 464 Queen Street East.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, a block plan and drawings of joist framings for Levy Auto Wreckers at 464 Queen St. East.
Related Material
See File 49-5-10 for plans of stores for Mr. A. Levy on St. Clair Avenue that were designed by E. Telfer Arnoldi.
See File 49-3-13 for plans of the head office, located at 735/737 Queen Street West.
Places
Queen Street East (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 28
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
28
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
1922-1924
Physical Description
23 architectural and technical drawings :19 pencil, 4 blueprints ; 61 cm length or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The City Dye Works was a cleaning and dying company that was owned and managed by Solomon Zaid and Isaac Siderson. In additions to their cleaning and dying services, the company sponsored a weekly 15 minute radio program each Wednesday on CFCA radio.
Scope and Content
File consists of plans, drawings, building permit receipts, and specifications of a large single storey factory located at 138-146 Claremont Street for the City Dye Works. Elevation views, floor plans, sections, and a drawing of the piping system are included.
Notes
Drawings are in two separate rolls.
Formerly listed as Commission X.
Physical Condition
One of the receipts is torn in half.
Places
Claremont Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 29
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
29
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1926
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil ; 62 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Sol Wilks was the owner of a stationary store and two commercial/residential buildings. One building was located at the corner of Robina and St. Clair and the other at 1034 St. Clair, where he also resided.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings for stores and an apartment building located on the N.W. corner of Robina and St. Clair for Mr. Sol Wilks. The building was three stories high and contained one, two bedroom suite and four, one bedroom suites. Floor plans and elevations are included.
Places
Robina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Saint Clair Avenue West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 23
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
23
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 1 pencil on tracing paper ; 44 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a single storey factory building for Diamond Cleanser & Soaps, Ltd., located on Van Horne Street. Floor plans and elevation drawings are included.
Places
Van Horne Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 30
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
30
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1935]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil, 1 hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 36 x 58 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Harry Trachter was the owner of a creamery and grocery store at 800 Dundas St. West, where he also resided. In 1934, the building was badly damaged by fire. Mr. Trachter died in 1982.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of stores (one of which was Trachter's Groceteria), an apartment and an office, located on the northwest corner of Dundas St. and Euclid Avenue. The first floor consisted of two stores, and the second floor consisted of a four bedroom dwelling and an office. Floor plans and a sketch of the building exterior are included.
Places
Dundas Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Euclid Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 32
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
32
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : 2 blueprints, 4 pencil on tracing paper, 1 hand col. pencil crayon ; 73 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
The Balfour Building is a Toronto landmark and designated heritage building that is located at 119 Spadina Avenue. It was designed by Benjamin Brown and was one of his most important commissions. Built in 1930, the building is twelve storeys high and is crowned by a two storey tower. It is considered one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture in Toronto. The Balfour Building was declared a heritage building by order of City Council in July of 1989. It currently houses offices for several graphic design and advertising firms, shops and a post office.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to two stores located in a single storey Annex to the Balfour Building, at 125 Spadina Avenue. One of the stores was Shiffer-Hillman Men's Clothing Manufacturing, owned by Elsig Shiffer and Benjamin Hillman. The other store was the Blue Bird Dress Company, owned by Mr. Sam Lichtman. Floor plans, elevations, a block plan, a foundation plan, and a sketch of the storefront are also included.
Physical Condition
Material is slightly torn and fragile.
Related Material
See File 49-3-34 for alterations to Lazar's restaurant in the Balfour Annex at 125 Spadina.
See File 49-3-105 for architectural drawings of the Balfour Building itself.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 33
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
33
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1936
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil on tracing paper ; 60 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, sections and elevations of a laundry building for Mr. Peter Kin at 71 Queen St. West.
Places
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 34
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
34
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 3 pencil, 1 hand col. pastel, 2 on verso of blueprints, pencil and hand col. watercolour ; 35 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Lazar Levinson was the owner of two Jewish restaurants in downtown Toronto. The original restaurant, named Lazar’s "Old Spain" restaurant and delicatessen specialized in catering, and was located at 128-130 Queen Street West. In the 1930s, a second restaurant was established in an Annex to the Balfour Building at 125 Spadina Avenue.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to Lazar's restaurant, located in a single storey Annex to the Balfour Building at 125 Spadina Avenue. Floor plans and elevations are included.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile, slightly torn.
Related Material
See File 49-3-32 for alterations to Balfour Annex stores for Messrs. Shiffer, Hillman and Lichtman.
See File 49-3-105 for architectural drawings of the Balfour Building and for a description of the building.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 37
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
37
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1946]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : blueprints ; 40 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Percy Hermant was born in Mogilev, Russia in 1882. In 1897, he immigrated to Canada, arriving in New Brunswick, where he began working as a drygoods peddler. In 1900, he founded the Imperial Optical Company, the first prescription lens business in the Maritimes. This company eventually grew to be the largest company of its kind in the British Commonwealth. The head office was located in the Hermant Building (named for Percy) at 21 Dundas Square. In addition to his successful business, Mr. Hermant served as the director of both the Mount Sinai and Runnymede hospitals. He was also a member of the Toronto Board of Trade and other established societies such as the Primrose, and Empire Clubs.
Mr. Hermant was very active in philanthropy and involved in the funding and establishment of the Young Men's Hebrew Association (YMHA), and in the funding of the Associated Hebrew Universities. Mr. Hermant also established several scholarships at the University of Toronto, including the Percy Hermant Fellowship in Ophthalmology for graduates of Medicine who wish to pursue ophthalmology as a profession. Mr. Hermant died in 1959 and was survived by his wife Dorothy, son Sydney and four grandchildren.
Scope and Content
File consists of two block plans for a storage building at 179 Ontario Street for Percy Hermant.
Notes
Benjamin Brown's office was also located in the Hermant building during the 1940s.
Related Material
See File 49-3-97 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-106 for the architectural drawings of the Hermant Annex.
See File 49-3-58 for the architectural plans of a factory for Imperial Optical Co. at 270 Ontario Street and for an administrative history of Imperial Optical.
See File 49-3-63 for the architectural plans of alterations to the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-100 for architectural drawings of Montgomery's Tavern, located on the ground floor of the Hermant Building.
See File 49-3-93 for the architectural drawings of a factory for Imperial Optical at the S.W. corner of Dundas and Ontario Streets.
Places
Ontario Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 38
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
38
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper, 4 hand col. pastel ; 32 cm length or smaller and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Henry Adelberg was the president of Adelberg Limited, which manufactured cloaks and suits and was located at 221 Richmond St. West.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to a three storey building containing a store and four bedroom dwelling for Henry Adelberg at the N.E. corner of Queen St. West and Brookfield Road. Floor plans and elevations are included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-77 for architectural drawings of a public garage for Henry Adelberg at 33 Dundas St. West.
Places
Brookfield Road (Toronto, Ont.)
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 20
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
20
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1930]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper, 1 hand col. pencil crayon ; 39 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Located at 605 Danforth (Danforth and Gough), the Iola Theatre operated as a movie theatre until closing in 1954.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans and elevations of the Iola Theatre, located at 605 Danforth. These drawings are probably related to a proposed renovation. An incomplete elevation of the Iola Theatre drawn by A. A. Abraham is also included.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile and torn.
Related Material
See File 49-5-11 for architectural plans designed by Herbert G. Duerr of a theatre on Kingston Road.
Places
Danforth Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 25
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
25
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1949
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : 2 blueprints, 1 pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 19 x 30 cm (folded)
Admin History/Bio
The Imperial Bank of Canada, which was founded in 1875, became one of the primary banking establishments in Canada. The bank underwent several mergers during its history. It merged with the Niagara District Bank in 1875, the Weyburn Security Bank in 1931, and Barclays Bank in 1956. The bank finally merged with the Canadian Bank of Commerce in 1961 to form the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.
Scope and Content
File contains floor plans for proposed alterations to a branch office of the Imperial Bank of Canada at 21 Dundas Square.
Physical Condition
Some rust on blueprints.
Source
Archival Descriptions
514 records – page 1 of 11.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content