Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
27 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
Fonds
64
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1980
Physical Description
35 cm of textual records
10 photographs
41 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
Series contains reference materials created by and written about the synagogues. Primary records include commemorative booklets, a small number of newsletters, brochures, and programs from special events. There are also newspaper clippings and copied articles providing histories of synagogues. There is a small number of photograph prints and negatives, but many of the files also include photographs from books, magazines or photocopies. The series is arranged in alphabetical order by city, then by synagogue. Not every synagogue the project team researched has a reference file, and there may be reference files for shuls for which no photographs survive.
Subjects
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 64
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
64
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1859-1980, predominant 1977-1979
Physical Description
ca. 5178 photographs and other material
Admin History/Bio
The “Shuls Project” was the work of three University of Toronto architecture students, who in 1977 wrote a research paper on the eight Toronto synagogues built before World War II. Concerned at the lack of resources on these synagogues, Sidney Tenenbaum, Lynn Milstone and Sheldon Levitt foresaw the loss of communities’ recorded history as membership dwindled and elders passed on. The students conceived a project that would photograph and document every synagogue in Canada, gathering visual evidence, memorabilia, plaques and stories before they disappeared and history was lost. The students’ goal was to document synagogues’ architecture, art, and historical development through research, interviews and site visits.
The students secured a large portion of the required funding for the project from the Samuel and Saidye Bronfman Family Foundation in Montreal, funding which was matched by the Canadian Jewish Congress. This financial support enabled Levitt, Milstone and Tenenbaum to begin their study, named “Shuls… A Study of Canadian Synagogue Architecture.” They began in the summer of 1977, traveling through the Western provinces. The next summer, they visited eight Maritime cities, Montreal and other Quebec communities. Financial support in the project’s second year was again provided by the Bronfman Family Foundation, along with the Canadian government and donations in kind from businesses, including Benjamin Photo Finishers in Toronto, and Polaroid. The summer of 1979 was spent in Ontario, with an added grant from Wintario. In total, the Shuls project team traveled over 24,000 kilometres, taking thousands of photographs and conducting several hundred interviews. Photographs were taken by Tenenbaum, with Levitt and Milstone assuming primary responsibility for researching synagogues’ history and gathering historic records. Interviews were conducted by all three researchers, in both English and Yiddish.
With no handy index of every shul in Canada, the researchers located small shuls by word of mouth. They spread word of their project and solicited assistance using press releases, letters to known communities, and slideshow presentations as they traveled. They would first examine a building to get an idea of a community’s character and heritage, then conduct interviews with designers, architects, rabbis and other prominent community members.
With the research and photographs created, the team compiled three catalogues of the Western, Eastern/Quebec, and Ontario phases of the project. These catalogues have entries on each synagogue that include historical summaries highlighting the founding, growth, mergers and decline of Jewish communities, their changing needs, changing architectural expressions and trends, and the evolving uses of synagogues over the course of the twentieth century. There are also building descriptions, some with critical comments by the authors, and lists of the photographs and slides produced.
The compilation of materials and preparation of these catalogues took place at the Project’s offices at 26 Ava Road in Toronto, and continued through the summer of 1980 when the Ontario catalogue was completed. In 1985, Tenenbaum, Milstone and Levitt published a book highlighting their work, called Treasures of a People: The Synagogues of Canada.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the records created and collected by the team of students conducting the Shuls study from 1977 to 1980. The majority of the fonds is made up of graphic material, in the form of 35mm colour slides and black-and-white Polaroid prints and (print-size) negatives. There are approximately 5110 photographs in the fonds. Fonds also consists of notes and inventory forms of buildings' architectural features. There are no interview transcripts, but the fonds does include three audio cassettes with recorded interviews and shul tours. Reference materials used in researching the history of the shuls include dedication and anniversary commemorative books and programmes, newsletters, articles and newspaper clippings. In addition the fonds contains 47 blueprints, the majority from Montreal synagogues. The fonds is arranged in the following series: 1. Quebec synagogues; 2. Ontario synagogues; 3. Western Canada synagogues; 4. Eastern Canada synagogues; 5. Reference.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 92 cm of textual records, 42 architectural drawings, 3 audio cassettes, and 1 drawing.
Physical extent note: many of the slides were culled because they were felt to be reproductions. Some of the synagogue images in the research book may therefore not be included in the fonds.
Name Access
Shuls Project
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Creator
Levitt, Sheldon
Milstone, Lynn
Tenenbaum, Sidney T.
Places
Canada
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
12
Material Format
textual record
Date
1949
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains photocopied pages from the synagogue's 1949 Dedication program.
Name Access
Beth Isaiah Congregation (Guelph, Ont.)
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Guelph (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 23
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
23
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Date
[ca. 1910]-1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 photographs : b&w prints (2 negatives) ; 12 x cm
Scope and Content
File contains notes, lists, clippings, copied pages from directories and 4 unidentified photographs (2 negatives).
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 33
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
33
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1947
Physical Description
7 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains 7 blueprints for the 1947 extension and alterations to the shul.
Name Access
Congregation Ahavath Shalom
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 41
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
41
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains photocopied articles, a newspaper clipping, photocopied photographs, a greeting card with photograph on cover, copies of the 1859 contract commissioning the erection of the synagogue as well as a list of specifications for the masons, and blueprints for the 1967 extension.
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 45
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
45
Material Format
textual record
Date
1932-[ca. 1965]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains dedication book for new building (1960), copied articles, assorted pamphlets and programmes.
Name Access
Temple Emanu-El (Montréal, Quebec)
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 48
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
48
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1949, 1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 architectural drawing
Scope and Content
File contains a form letter from the congregation regarding High Holiday services (17 July 1978), and a blueprint for the auditorium building (1949).
Name Access
Young Israel of Montreal
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 49
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
49
Material Format
textual record
Date
1925, 1945
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains one copied newspaper article and several other transcribed newspaper articles.
Name Access
House of Israel
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Moose Jaw (Sask.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 54
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
54
Material Format
textual record
Date
1944, [1975?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains two short historical overviews.
Name Access
Temple Israel
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Ottawa (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 66
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
66
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1920-1977
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 architectural drawing
Scope and Content
File contains a copied photograph from The Jewish Post, the congregation's constitution adopted in 1920, and a blueprint from 1955.
Name Access
Agudas Israel
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Saskatoon (Sask.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 75
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
75
Material Format
textual record
Date
1935-1979
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains a 1979 newsletter, "Voice of Radom," and copies from the 10th and 30th anniversary booklets.
Name Access
Beth Radom Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 96
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
96
Material Format
textual record
Date
1930-1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains the shul's dedication programme from 1930, the 25th (1954) and 49th anniversary programmes (1978).
Name Access
Congregation Shaar Hashomayim
Subjects
Anniversaries
Synagogues
Places
Windsor (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946-1957
Physical Description
24 photographs : b&w (24 negatives) ; 12.5 x 10 cm and smaller
Scope and Content
This sub-series consists of two files. The two events are an opening at the Park Plaza Hotel and a Pidyon Ha'Ben ceremony for Herbert Solway's son Gary.
Images from the Park Plaza Hotel consist of views of the ballroom, the entertainers, and friends and family enjoying the party. Family members identified are from the Schwartz, Halbert and Wintrob families. Non-family members identified are from the Yolles and Rotenberg families. There are 12 negatives in this file.
Images from file 2 consist of partygoers for the Pidyon Ha'Ben ceremony in Alex Solway's apartment. Those in attendance were from the Schwartz, Shleser, Solway and Rotenberg families. There are 12 negatives in this file.
Name Access
Schwartz, Sylvia, 1914-1998 (creator)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
12 photographs : b&w (12 negatives) ; 13 x 10 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Park Plaza Hotel, originally called the Queen's Park Plaza, began construction in 1928. However, because of financial problems in the Depression it was not completed until 1936. Prior to its completion it was bought by the Park Plaza Company, a group of investors including Harry Rotenberg of Yolles and Rotenberg and Joseph Schwartz, Sylvia Schwartz's father. It was originally used as a hotel, residences and office space. Through the 1940s and 1950s it was a popular hot spot, acting as a venue for entertainers such as Cab Calloway and Duke Ellington. In the 1960s it became a popular location with the literary crowd, including Margaret Atwood and Mordecai Richler.
It was eventually bought by the Hyatt chain and re-named the Park Hyatt Toronto.
Scope and Content
File consists of images of a party in the ballroom at the Park Plaza Hotel. Those pictured include members of the Schwartz, Yolles, Halbert and Wintrob families. Also included are images of Sylvia Schwartz, the singer Phyllis Marshall and musicians.
It is unknown what the party was for, but the original envelope indicated that it was an opening of some kind.
Subjects
Parties
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Park Plaza Hotel, originally called the Queen's Park Plaza, began construction in 1928. However, because of financial problems in the Depression it was not completed until 1936. Prior to its completion it was bought by the Park Plaza Company, a group of investors including Harry Rotenberg of Yolles and Rotenberg and Joseph Schwartz, Sylvia Schwartz's father. It was originally used as a hotel, residences and office space. Through the 1940s and 1950s it was a popular hot spot, acting as a venue for entertainers such as Cab Calloway and Duke Ellington. In the 1960s it became a popular location with the literary crowd, including Margaret Atwood and Mordecai Richler.
It was eventually bought by the Hyatt chain and re-named the Park Hyatt Toronto.
Scope and Content
This item is a view of the ballroom with many people sitting at tables socializing.
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Subjects
Rooms
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Park Plaza Hotel, originally called the Queen's Park Plaza, began construction in 1928. However, because of financial problems in the Depression it was not completed until 1936. Prior to its completion it was bought by the Park Plaza Company, a group of investors including Harry Rotenberg of Yolles and Rotenberg and Joseph Schwartz, Sylvia Schwartz's father. It was originally used as a hotel, residences and office space. Through the 1940s and 1950s it was a popular hot spot, acting as a venue for entertainers such as Cab Calloway and Duke Ellington. In the 1960s it became a popular location with the literary crowd, including Margaret Atwood and Mordecai Richler.
It was eventually bought by the Hyatt chain and re-named the Park Hyatt Toronto.
Scope and Content
This item is a view of a piano player performing.
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Subjects
Musicians
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
3
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Park Plaza Hotel, originally called the Queen's Park Plaza, began construction in 1928. However, because of financial problems in the Depression it was not completed until 1936. Prior to its completion it was bought by the Park Plaza Company, a group of investors including Harry Rotenberg of Yolles and Rotenberg and Joseph Schwartz, Sylvia Schwartz's father. It was originally used as a hotel, residences and office space. Through the 1940s and 1950s it was a popular hot spot, acting as a venue for entertainers such as Cab Calloway and Duke Ellington. In the 1960s it became a popular location with the literary crowd, including Margaret Atwood and Mordecai Richler.
It was eventually bought by the Hyatt chain and re-named the Park Hyatt Toronto.
Scope and Content
This item is a view of a guitarist, accordianist and organist performing on stage.
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Subjects
Musicians
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
4
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Phyllis Marshall (b. Barrie, ON, 4 Nov 1921) was a Canadian singer and actress. She studied piano as a child and was known as a track athlete, but made her debut at 15 as a singer on radio station CRCT. She then performed with Jack Arthur and on CBC radio with Percy Faith.
Her first nightclub engagement was at Toronto's Silver Slipper, September 1938, with the Canadian Ambassadors. Encouraged by the CBC announcer Byng Whitteker to sing blues and jazz, she performed during the 1940s with various Toronto dance bands, including an 18-month stint at Toronto's Park Plaza Hotel 1944-46, with her own trio, and on tour 1947-8 in the USA with the Cab Calloway Orchestra.
A contemporary of Eleanor Collins among early black performers on the CBC, Marshall appeared 1949-52 on radio's 'Blues for Friday' (later 'Starlight Moods') and starred on TV's 'The Big Revue' 1952-4, 'Cross-Canada Hit Parade' 1956-9, and other shows. She performed with Canadian jazz notables including Oscar Peterson and Bert Niosi, and also starred in the Canadian National Exhibition grandstand show. She performed in England on BBC TV in 1959 (The Phyllis Marshall Special) and again in 1964 in nightclubs. Her LP That Girl (1964, Cap FS-614), recorded in the company of US jazz stars Buck Clayton and Buddy Tate, captures Marshall's light, secure singing style and received a Juno Award as 'good music product LP'. Marshall had earlier recorded for Monogram in 1949.
Her second career, as an actress, began in 1956 at Toronto's Crest Theatre and included dramatic and musical roles in stage, radio, and TV productions such as the revue Cindy-Ella (1964), CBC radio's 'The Amen Corner' (1970), and CBS-CTV's Night Heat in the mid-1980s. She continued to sing on occasion - eg, at the ACTRA Awards in 1977, and for Freedom Fest (Harbourfront) in 1988.
Marshall is remembered as one of Canadian television's earliest stars, and as a pioneer among black Canadian performers.
She died in Toronto in 1996.
Scope and Content
This item is a view of Phyllis Marshall performing on stage.
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Subjects
Actors
Black Canadians
Singers
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Related Material
See Fonds 80, series 4 for a portrait of Phyllis Marshall by Sylvia Schwartz.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
5
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Phyllis Marshall (b. Barrie, ON, 4 Nov 1921) was a Canadian singer and actress. She studied piano as a child and was known as a track athlete, but made her debut at 15 as a singer on radio station CRCT. She then performed with Jack Arthur and on CBC radio with Percy Faith.
Her first nightclub engagement was at Toronto's Silver Slipper, September 1938, with the Canadian Ambassadors. Encouraged by the CBC announcer Byng Whitteker to sing blues and jazz, she performed during the 1940s with various Toronto dance bands, including an 18-month stint at Toronto's Park Plaza Hotel 1944-46, with her own trio, and on tour 1947-8 in the USA with the Cab Calloway Orchestra.
A contemporary of Eleanor Collins among early black performers on the CBC, Marshall appeared 1949-52 on radio's 'Blues for Friday' (later 'Starlight Moods') and starred on TV's 'The Big Revue' 1952-4, 'Cross-Canada Hit Parade' 1956-9, and other shows. She performed with Canadian jazz notables including Oscar Peterson and Bert Niosi, and also starred in the Canadian National Exhibition grandstand show. She performed in England on BBC TV in 1959 (The Phyllis Marshall Special) and again in 1964 in nightclubs. Her LP That Girl (1964, Cap FS-614), recorded in the company of US jazz stars Buck Clayton and Buddy Tate, captures Marshall's light, secure singing style and received a Juno Award as 'good music product LP'. Marshall had earlier recorded for Monogram in 1949.
Her second career, as an actress, began in 1956 at Toronto's Crest Theatre and included dramatic and musical roles in stage, radio, and TV productions such as the revue Cindy-Ella (1964), CBC radio's 'The Amen Corner' (1970), and CBS-CTV's Night Heat in the mid-1980s. She continued to sing on occasion - eg, at the ACTRA Awards in 1977, and for Freedom Fest (Harbourfront) in 1988.
Marshall is remembered as one of Canadian television's earliest stars, and as a pioneer among black Canadian performers.
She died in Toronto in 1996.
Scope and Content
This item is a group portrait of, front row (left to right): Phyllis Marshall and Sylvia Schwartz. Everyone else in this photograph is unidentified (possibly musicians).
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Subjects
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Related Material
See Fonds 80, series 4 for a portrait of Phyllis Marshall by Sylvia Schwartz.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
6
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a group portrait of, front row (left to right): Sylvia Schwartz, unknown man and unknown woman.
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Subjects
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
7
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Jack Schwartz was Sylvia Schwartz's uncle, and was married to Minnie Schwartz. Their daughter Jewell owned an art gallery in Yorkville for many years. Jack was in the fur business in Toronto.
Gerald Halbert was born in 1935 to Hyman and Faye Halbert in Toronto. He is the brother of Dr. Ralph Halbert and Mrs. Rhoda Brown (nee Halbert). Gerald's mother Faye was Sylvia Schwartz's cousin on her mother's side.
Gerald Halbert received his medical degree in 1960 from the University of Toronto. Around that time he became very involved in the Jewish community, first volunteering for the UJA in 1960 and then traveling to Israel on a UJA Young Leadership Mission in 1962. Inspired and awed by the country, his lifelong commitment to the community was solidified. Since that time he has held many volunteer leadership roles within the Toronto community, including: chair and/or co-chair for three UJA Federation Campaigns and President of United Israel Appeal of Canada and of Canadian Friends of Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He has also been active in the development of the Wolfond Centre for Jewish Campus Life at the University of Toronto.
Outside of the Jewish community, he has helped to raise funds for and establish several research chairs at the University of Toronto and University Health Network and is a member of the Mount Sinai Hospital Board of Governors. He is a member of the Toronto General and Western Hospital Foundation Board of Directors, where he has volunteered significant time to a number of fundraising initiatives including the Spark of Life and Neurosurgery Chair Campaigns. He is also Board Champion for the Krembil Neuroscience Centre’s Krembil Discovery Tower and Krembil Neuro Program.
In 2002 he was awarded the Order of Canada for his lifelong commitment and contributions to his community.
He was married in 1960 to Sandra ("Tootsie") (nee Sukerman) and they have two daughters: Wendy and Michelle.
Scope and Content
This item is a group portrait of members of the Schwartz's and Halbert's Families. From left: unknown woman, unknown man, Jack Schwartz, Minnie Schwartz, unknown woman, unknown man, unknown man,and Gerrald Halbert.
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Subjects
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
8
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Joseph Schwartz was married to Gertrude Schwartz and had four daughters, Sylvia, Fanny, Helen and Ruth.
Joseph owned J. Schwartz and Company, a fur manufacturing firm, and eventually became a partner in the Park Plaza Hotel on Avenue road.
The Halberts consist of Hyman and Faye Halbert, and their three children, Ralph Halbert, Dr. Gerald Halbert and Mrs. Rhoda Brown (nee Halbert). Faye was Sylvia Schwartz's cousin on her mother's side.
Scope and Content
This item is a group portrait of members of the Schwartz, Halbert and Wintrob Families. Joseph Schwartz can be seen standing behind the group on the right. All other sitters are unidentified.
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Subjects
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
9
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Dr. Murray Simon was a Toronto dentist who married Sylvia Yolles, the daughter of L.S. Yolles who owned the Park Plaza.
Scope and Content
This item is a group portrait. From left: [unknown man], [unknown woman], Murray Simon, [unknown woman], [unknown man], [unknown woman], [unknown woman].
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Subjects
Dentists
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
10
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Custodial History
Cecil Yolles was Louis Yolles' eldest grandchild. He was the eldest son of Sam and Mary (Wilder) Yolles.
Scope and Content
This item is a group portrait from the Park Plaza opening. Cecil and Denny Yolles are identified in the centre of the photo, seated fourth and fifth from the left.
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Subjects
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
11
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a group portrait.
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Subjects
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 80; Series 5-3; File 1; Item 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sylvia Schwartz fonds
Family series
Events sub-series
Park Plaza Opening file
Level
Item
Fonds
80
Series
5-3
File
1
Item
12
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative) ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a snapshot of Cecil and Denny Yolles.
Notes
This image has no proofs.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
27 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content