Series consists of textual records and graphic material documenting the Baycrest Centre's various publications and publicity activities. Included is a meeting notice and minutes, a memo, a postcard, articles, a news release, brochures, newsletters, magazines, and bulletins.
Series is arranged into four sub-series: 1. Baycrest News ; 2. Baycrest Bulletins; 3. Baycrest Breakthroughs; and, 4. Attach Your Name to Baycrest.
See the Baycrest Centre's website for electronic copies of current issues of Baycrest's publications, including: Baycrest Matters newsletters, the Joseph E. and Minnie Wagman Centre newsletters, and Baycrest Bulletins. A link to the website is here: http://www.baycrest.org/publications-18.php
The "Attach Your Name to Baycrest" newsletter was first issued in 2004 to keep potential donors interested in establishing endowments at Baycrest up to date on events, individuals, and programs related to Baycrest's activities. It is published semi-annually, but was briefly published quarterly between 2007 and 2008.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of issues of the "Attach Your Name to Baycrest" newsletters.
Editions of "Attach Your Name to Baycrest" that were published between Spring 2004 and Winter 2010-2011 can be accessed through Baycrest's website.
The Baycrest Breakthroughs magazine was first published in 2007 to share information about important health issues, Baycrest's research studies and findings, and Baycrest's other activities and events. It was initially published annually, but in 2010 three editions started to be published per year. In 2008, the magazine was supplemented with issues of the newsletter "Innovation in Aging".
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of issues of Baycrest Breakthroughs.
Editions of Baycrest Breakthroughs that were issued between Spring 2010 and Winter 2011 can be accessed through Baycrest's website.
Accession consists of 1 DVD titled "Reclaiming Our Pride: A documentary film about Pride and Prejudice" by Martin Gladstone. The film explores the controversy that surrounded the 2009 Gay Pride Parade generated by the inclusion of groups that branded Israel an apartheid state.
Accession consists of photographs and textual records which document the Young Maccabees organization. The records include photocopies of articles and a speech regarding the history of the Young Maccabees club and members. Additionally there is a copy of the club's statement of purpose. The photographs document Young Maccabees lectures in 1985 and 1986. Many of the individuals in the photographs have been identified on the verso.
The photograph was donated by Luba Richardson. Her late husband, Sam Richardson, was a member of the Young Maccabees.
The Young Maccabees was a club for Jewish boys created by Alan Coatsworth in 1923. Coatsworth himself was Christian, but keenly interested in helping the poor Jewish boys in his neighbourhood. The organization served as popular discussion group for the youth.
Irving Himel and other former Young Maccabees later created the Alan Coatsworth Lecture Series in his honour as a way of furthering racial harmony.
Related material note: see related accessions #1991-1-7 and 2010-3-4
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director and Rabbi in charge of gittin (or the Chair of the Reform Rabbis of Greater Toronto) prior to accessing the records.
Gittin are in sealed envelopes and identified by the surname(s) of parties involved. The start date assigned to this accession may not be accurate as the gittin are sealed and not all are marked with a date on the envelope.
Accession consists of a program for a concert put on by Harbord Collegiate Institute's Choral Society and Orchestra (1942), an invitation for Mrs. Sheva Stern (1949), an Israel Histradut Campaign brochure documenting an address delivered by Thomas Douglas at its annual banquet (1954), a copy of the journal Jewish Women's Forum (1995) and an order form for the book Passionate Pioneers (2010).
Series consists of records documenting the various building campaigns on what is now the Sherman Campus at Bathurst Street and Sheppard Avenue. Records relate to the planning for the North YM-YWHA, Bathurst Jewish Community Centre, the Koffler Gallery and the Koffler Centre of the Arts. Documents include meeting minutes, projection reports, correspondence, and newspaper clippings.
File consists of records documenting the Koffler Centre School of Music. Included is the budget for the Chamber Orchestra, an event statement for the School of Music and a mailing list for orchestra members.
Series consists of records documenting the financial and administrative functions of the Koffler Centre of the Arts Gallery, the CJC Central Region Archives, the Leah Posluns Theatre, the School of Music and the Bathurst Jewish Communty Centre. Included are bugets, financials, fundraising reports, meeting minutes and agendas, correspondence with Stephen Speisman of the CJC Central Region Archives and the KCOA mission statement.
Series consists of records documenting the educational programming for the Koffler Centre of the Arts. Included are program and educational guides for the School of Music, Theatre, Dance, and Visual Arts. Also included is a program guide for the Kallah, the Gathering lecture series, an education plan, and a guide for Dedication Week highlighting guest speaker Isaac Bashevis Singer and Cantor Louis Danto.
File consists of records documenting the Jewish Book Fair. Included is a list of award winners for 2010, meeting minutes, financials, correspondence, welcoming remarks, timelines, to do lists, a special occasion permit application and event guides.
An annual Jewish Book Week had been considered for several years before the completion of the new Jewish Community Centre (formerly the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A) in 1977 made it feasible. After considerable research, and communication with other communities which had sponsored similar programs (such as Detroit), it was agreed that the success of of the projected Fair would be dependent upon the ability to achieve total community sponsorship. An approach to the Federation of Jewish Women's Organization led to their agreement to serve as co-sponsors; they in turn were followed by the Jewish Cultural Council of the Toronto Jewish Congress and the Jewish Public Library. These four organizations were the initial sponsors, and provided the first representatives to the newly formed Board of Directors.
The first Jewish Book Fair was held in 1977 and featured a large book mart with books of Jewish relevance as well as programming for children and adults.
The Canadian Jewish Book Awards was founded in 1988 by Adam Fuerstenberg whose ambition was to celebrate excellence in Canadian Jewish writing. The Koffler Centre of the Arts was approached to manage the Awards in 1994 and has been administering the Awards program ever since. The name was eventually changed to the Canadian Jewish Book Awards and then again in 2004 to the Helen and Stan Vine Canadian Jewish Book Awards following a 10-year donation from Lillian and Norman Glowinsky. In 2015, the Koffler Centre of the Arts put the Awards on hiatus for one year in order to reframe the program. It was relaunched in 2016 as The Vine Awards for Canadian Jewish Literature.
In 2012, the annual event evolved into Toronto Jewish Book Festival, combining the Book Fair and the Helen and Stan Vine Canadian Jewish Book Awards into one week-long event. In 2013 its name was changed to the Toronto Jewish Literary Festival.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the Jewish Book Fair. Included in the files are meeting minutes, correspondence, press releases, award ceremony program guides, book award submissions and award winner lists, jury citations, financial statements, committee member lists, sales reports, book evaluation and submission criteria, mission statement, the 25th anniversary tribute book, an architectural drawing of the Lipa Green building, a letter from the Canadian Holocaust Remembrance Association addressing the participation of Edward Greenspan, lawyer for Ernst Zundel, at the Jewish Book Fair and a contract letter outlining the details of the donation made by Mr. and Mrs. Norman Glowinsky to the Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto and the subsequent renaming of the Canadian Jewish Book Awards to the Helen and Stan Vine Canadian Jewish Book awards for a period of ten years commencing May 2005-June 2014.
File consists of an exhibit catalogue entitled Spin Off: Contemparary Art Circling Mandala. Exhibiting artists included Aya Ben Ron, Mircea Cantor, Vandana Jain, Gary James Joynes/Clinker, Melissa Shiff and Jennifer Zackin.
185 photographs : b&w and col. and sepia toned ( 10 negatives, 4 slides, 3 contact prints) ; 26 x 20 cm or smaller
Aaron Ladovsky (1888-1960) was born in 1888 in Kielce, Poland. He immigrated to Toronto in 1906 at the age of 18. Soon after arriving, Aaron Ladovsky worked to help form a Jewish bakers’ union to advocate for collective rights among Jewish Bakers. In 1911 he married Sarah Eichler who was from his home town of Kielce, Poland. In 1912 he opened the United Bakers Dairy Restaurant at Dundas and Bay Streets (known then as Agnes and Teraulay Streets respectively) in the heart of the Ward. That same year, the couple had twin sons Herman and Samuel, who were born on September 23, 1912.
Only a short time later, in 1920, Aaron moved the location of his restaurant to 338 Spadina Avenue, just north of Dundas. He and his family lived in an apartment upstairs. Herman and Samuel attended Hester How Elementary School until 1919, Lord Lansdowne Public School once the family moved to Spadina, and later Central Commerce. The twins worked in the family business in the 1920s delivering fresh breads and buns by horse cart.
Aaron Ladovsky was involved in a number of community organizations. He was instrumental in founding the Kieltzer Society of Toronto in 1913; a community based immigrant-aid association extending aid to Kielcers in Poland and around the world. Ladovsky remained an active member of the organization until his death on April 5, 1960 . His restaurant provided a welcome gathering place for the Jewish community, serving traditional dishes and maintaining a friendly open-door policy. Aaron Ladovsky was known for his generosity and claimed that no one, whether they had money or not, left his restaurant hungry. The United Bakers' menu was mainly based on Sarah’s original recipes, and continues to be so to this day.
During the Second World War, Herman served overseas as an electrician in the Canadian army show with comics Johnny Wayne and Frank Shuster. After returning from the war, he married Dora Macklin in 1947, a registered nurse from Regina. He also began to take over management of the family business. Later, his son Philip and daughter Ruth would follow in his footsteps, helping to run the restaurant with him and later taking over managment. United Bakers remained on Spadina Avenue for 66 years – until 1986 when it moved to its current location at 506 Lawrence Avenue West, off of Bathurst Street. Herman was an active fixture in restaurant until his death on January 6, 2002. He also supported and was involved in the work of the Ontario Jewish Archives over the years. Today, Philip and Ruth carry on the family tradition of running United Bakers Dairy Restaurant.In May 2012 the restaurant celebrated it's 100th anniversary.
The records were donated in multiple small accessions by Herman Ladovsky from 1977 until 2004.
It appears as though previous archivists integrated some materials into a manuscript group relating to Aaron Ladovsky and then later deconstructed a portion of this group into original accessions. Also, a number of periodicals and textual materials from these accessions were integrated into various other manuscript groups and remain there.
One item, a Lord Lansdowne School anniversary booklet which contains a photocopy of Herman's student record, remained in the Aaron Ladovsky manuscript group. This item could not be identified as part of a previous accession, but has been integrated into the fonds as it appears to have been donated by Herman.
Photo #3050 was not associated with an accession number, but documents United Bakers Dairy Restaurant and was likely donated by Herman Ladovsky.
Recent accruals have been donated by Ruth Ladovsky.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of records documenting the Ladovsky family in Kielce, Poland and Toronto. It is primarily made up of photographs of Ladovsky family members in Kielce and Toronto, and of various organizations that Aaron and Herman were involved in. There are also a few textual records that document the Ladovsky family and their involvement in the Kieltzer Society.
Newspaper clippings were photocopied and placed in the Aaron Ladovsky vertical file.
Many photographs were originally cited with diifferent numbers. These numbers are mentioned below photo descriptions.
Kieltzer Sick Benefit Society (Toronto, Ont.) (subject)
Ladovsky, Aaron, 1888-1960 (creator)
Ladovsky, Herman, 1912-2002 (creator)
United Bakers Dairy Restaurant (subject)
Se MG 2B-1R
See vertical file on Aaron Ladovsky
Records have been organized by media and chronology due to low volume and disparate subject matter. Textual records have been arranged in 17 files. Photographs have been arranged chronologically and are largely described at the item level.
This accession consists of records relating to the community openeing of the Pardes Chaim Cemetery. The records include an invitation, a program, a pamphlet for the Pardes Shalom Memorial Garden as well as a speech by Sid Freedman, founder and Honourary Life President of the THMP and one by Bill Draimin, its current President.
The records were in the custody of Howard Mamon, Toronto Hebrew Memorial Park's current Executive Director.
Pardes Chaim Cemetery is the second cemetery established in the Greater Toronto Area by the Toronto Hebrew Memorial Park. The THMP was established in 1972 by Sid Freedman when he gifted property bought in 1970 to the Jewish community for use as the Pardes Shalom Cemetery. Collective ownership by the community which it serves has ensured that the cemetery will never be in danger of abandonement or dereliction. The THMP Board of Directors now governs two cemeteries, Pardes Shalom and Pardes Chaim, which was opened on 10 October 2010.
2 photographs : col. ; 10 x 15 cm and 11 x 9 cm and other material
[ca. 1943] - 2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs, textual records and military medals and pins that document Iakov's experience serving in the Soviet Union's military during the Second World War. Included is a photograph of Iakov receiving a medal from the Russian Minister of Infrastructure to commemorate the 50th anniversary since the end of the war (1995), a photocopy of a docment certifying that he fought in the war, several thank you cards from the Russian president and the Russian Consulate to commemorate various anniversaries since the end of the war, a certificate documenting the battles Iakov fought in, newspaper clippings of articles written by Iakov about the war, and one photograph of Iakov at the Vaughan Community Center in Toronto with his English language classmates (2000). Also included is one CCCP Red Star pin, one medal to commemorate the 65th anniversary since the end of the war, and one military rank pin.
Physical description note: includes 1 folder of textual records, 1 medal and 2 pins.
Accession consists of photographs and textual records that document Yakov's experience in the Soviet army during the Second World War. Included is a photograph of Yakov in uniform with his family, Yakov's graduation portrait from pharmacy school (1951) and a photograph of Yakov's father (Gregory) in his military uniform, which he sent home from his military base in Lithuania (1944). Also included are various credential cards for medals Yakov received and a letter that was sent to Yakov from Toronto's Russian consulate.
The originals are in the possession of the donor. They were loaned to the Archives for copying and returned to the donor the same day as part of the Russian Jewish war veteran oral history program.
When the Seond World War began Yakov lived in Odessa, and assisted the Soviet Union's war effort by digging trenches. He was army unit was mobilized in 1943, just after he graduated from military college. After serving for three months he was wounded in an attack. He recovered from his wounds and went on to fight in Northern Donetsk and Dneper. His unit also passed the Kharkov and Poltavskaya regions. After his unit forced the crossing of Dneper the Khrushchev got involved and transported the army to Kiev where they were supported by 209 Armoured Brigade. Here, Yakov's unit sometimes experienced up to 20 bombing and shooting attacks per day. During these attacks, Yakov was wounded twice in his legs. First, a bullet hit his leg, and then a mine exploded. He still has shrapnel in his legs from this explosion.
This accession consists of digital copies of two photographs and two documents related to the military career of Russian war vet, Shlomo Mushkat. The phtoographs are two portaits of Mushkat in military dress and the documents are a letter detailing his participation in the war as well as a letter from the Ukrainian Embassy on the 65th anniversary of the end of the war.
The original records are in the possession of the donor. They were loaned to the Archives for copying as part of the Russian Jewish War Vet oral history program.
Shlomo Zalmanovich Mushkat was born in Vilnius, Lithuania. In 1940, he was drafted into the Soviet Army and a year later he was sent to the front. He was wounded in battle in 1941, but after recuperating in hospital was again sent back to the front. He participated in the battles of Smolensk and Leningrad. He received many medals for liberating Russian territories and cities, inlcuidng the Order of Glory.
This accession consists of one audio cassette of an inteview with Yiddish translator, Miriam Beckerman. The interivew was conducted by Myrna Levy of the Jewish Genealogical Society of Canada (Toronto). There is an accompanying transcript attached to the accession record.
Miriam Beckerman (nee Dashkin) is a Yiddish literature translator. She attended the Farband Folkshule in Toronto during the 1930s and later worked as a bilingual secretary (Yiddish and English) at the Ontario region, Canadian Jewish Congress. In 1946, she travelled to Israel where she met her husband, Moshe Beckerman, at a kibbutz. The couple and their children emigrated from Israel to Toronto in 1952.
Beckerman continues to work as a Yiddish translator for individuals, scholars and institutions. She has a number of published translations, including her recent collaborative work "A Thousand Threads: a story through Yiddish letters." Her work has been recognized by the Dora Teitelboim Foundation of Coral Gables, Florida. Her husband Moshe passed away in 1993.
44 photographs : b&w and col. (22 jpgs) ; 41 x 51 cm and 300 dpi
Scope and Content
The records in this accession include 22 portrait prints and the corresponding digital images taken by photographer, Al Gilbert. These photographs document prominent Toronto figures including: Jalyn Bennett, Rudy Bratty, Michael Lee Chin, Archbishop Thomas Collins, Dr. James E. Cruise, Dominic D'Allesandro, Eric Exton, Julian Fantino, Saul Feldberg, Lloyd Fogler, Rabbi Baruch Frydman-Kohl, Harry Gorman, Ben and Hilda Katz, Medhat Mahdy, Rabbi David Monson, Dr. Nancy Olivieri, Rabbi Gunther Plaut, Rabbi Erwin Schild, Judy Sgro, John Tory, Bill Wen, and Joyce Weiland.
Nachman (Nathan) Gittelmacher was born in Kiev, Ukraine in 1898, the son of Shloima and Mattie Gittelmacher. Suffering terribly during the pogroms of 1918 and 1920, he fled from place to place and then emigrated to Canada in 1921. Trained as a photographer in Europe, he opened his own photography studio in Toronto in 1922, called Elite Studios. First located at 513 Queen Street West, he soon moved to 615 Queen Street West. Nathan serviced a largely Jewish clientele, photographing weddings, bar mitzvahs, as well as Jewish community events.
Nathan was married to Nina Sokoloff and they had three sons and a daughter: Louis (Lou), Albert (Al), Jack, and Ruth.
During the early 1940s, the family legally changed their name from Gittelmacher to Gilbert and subsequently altered the name of the business to Gilbert Studios. When Nathan moved to the United States, Al, who had been working there since a young age, took over the business and under his management it thrived. In order to accommodate his growing clientele, he moved the studio to Eglinton Avenue and later to 170 Davenport Road, where it is situated today.
Al made a name for himself as a portrait photographer, using natural light in innovative ways to create more natural looking portraits. Al’s primary work involved producing portraits of families, weddings, bar mitzvahs, special events and dinners. Most of his early clients were from the Jewish community. In turn, he also was paid to produce portraits of local entrepreneurs, and his multi-year contract with the city, gave him sole responsibility for the production of portraits of the mayors and councilmen and women. He later branched out beyond the Jewish community, and began to produce images of businessmen and leaders from the Italian community in Toronto.
In addition to the paid contracts involving local personalities and groups, Al Gilbert has also produced many artistic portraits of local, national and international celebrities, artists and leaders such as: Wayne and Shuster, Howie Mandel, Oscar Peterson, Frank Sinatra, Duke Ellington, Robertson Davies, several Canadian prime ministers as well as Prince Charles, all of the Israeli prime ministers, which were made into stamps by the Israeli government, and finally, the last Pope. Gilbert’s work therefore captures a huge range of individuals from the ordinary bride to extraordinary world leaders.
Al has won many awards as well as accolades from his peers throughout his career. He is the three-time recipient of the prestigious Professional Photographers of Canada (PPOC) Photographer of the year honour. He has been named Fellow of the photographic societies in Canada, Britain and the United States. In 1990, he was awarded the Order of Canada. In January 2007, the Professional Photographers of America presented him with their Lifetime Achievement Award. This award is the highest honor PPA can bestow on a person for their body of work and influence on professional photography.
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Accession consists of records documenting the activities and the membership of the Pomegranate Guild of Judaic Textiles, Toronto. Included are meeting minutes, agendas, newsletters, program and event materials, slides, and audio-visual materials documenting Guild events.
The records were in the possession of Harriet Liebman, the Guild's archivist. They were donated to the archives by the immediate past president, Rikki Blitt.
The Pomegranate Guild of Judaic Textiles was formed in 1982 for those interested in studying and creating textile art and needlework based on Jewish themes. The Guild charges a yearly membership, which supports its programming, exhibits, and newsletter entitled "The Pomegramme".
Full citation crediting the Pomegranate Guild of Judaic Textiles, Toronto must appear in all publications alongside the OJA's required caption.