56 architectural drawings : 13 pen on linen weave, 1 blueprint, 42 pencil, some on tracing paper ; 74 cm length or smaller
Mr. Mendel Granatstein was a prominent member of one of the early Jewish families of Toronto. In 1895, he founded M. Granatstein and Sons, Ltd., a junk dealing company, and by the early 20th century, he had become one of the most prosperous Jews in Toronto. Mr. Granatstein was also a community leader, having a hand in the foundation of Beth Jacob Synagogue.
In 1919, Mr. Granatstein commissioned Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell to design a three storey Classical Georgian style house located at 42 St. George Street. This house also contained a retractable roof used on Sukkoth. In 1947, the house was acquired by the University of Toronto and was used for a variety of purposes until it was demolished in 1999. The Bahen Centre for Information Technology now stands in its place.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of the three storey, six bedroom mansion of Mr. Mendal Granatstein at 42 St. George Street. In addition to the bedrooms, the house contained a sunroom, a study, an enclosed porch, a large living room and a large dining room. Servants' quarters were located in the attic. Floor plans, sections, elevation drawings and drawings of alterations to the porch design are also included.
Drawings are located in two rolls, one containing the linen weave drawings, which are in good condition and the other containing the remainder, which are in very poor condition. Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions of Steve Speisman.
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.