Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
2 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-1922
Physical Description
136 architectural drawings : pencil, some hand col., watercolour, on linen weave and tracing paper ; 100 x 90 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Henry Street Beth Jacob Synagogue was founded by Toronto‚Äôs Polish-Jewish Community, as the successor of an older, smaller synagogue on Elm Street. It was the first synagogue in Toronto that was designed by a Jewish architect, Benjamin Brown. Located at 23 and 23 ½ Henry Street, the synagogue was dedicated in 1922, at a cost of $156,000, and could accommodate up to eight hundred worshippers. It was built in Romanesque style and was notable for its stained glass windows and retractable roof that was used on Sukkoth. It also contained a vaulted ceiling capped by a large dome and four smaller ones. The building was eventually sold and converted into a church. It is the current site of the Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Beth Jacob Synagogue. Contained within are basement, floor, stairwell and roof plans, load plans, sections, and elevation drawings. Also included are detailing of windows, the Ark, entrances and other structures and objects.
Notes
Most of the drawings are stored in four rolls, the remainder are encased in five sheets of Melinex. Due to the fragility of these drawings, the medium, extent and sizes of them are based on the descriptions compiled by Steve Speisman. It is recommended that a conservator examine these drawings.
Name Access
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Some drawings are frayed and torn.
Places
Henry Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 104
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
104
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921-1922
Physical Description
27 architectural and technical drawings : 26 blueprints, 1 pencil and paint ; 81 cm length or smaller and 9 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Located at 285 Spadina Avenue, the Standard Theatre was the first purpose-built Yiddish theatre in Canada. Described as the finest Yiddish theatre in North America, it contained seating for 1500 and included a balcony. The Standard held its opening performance and ceremony on August 31, 1922. It became the site of a variety of Yiddish plays, musical performances and other entertainment. The theatre was also the scene of political activity during this period, including a 1929 gathering to commemorate the death of Lenin. In 1935, due to poor attendance, the theatre was converted into a movie theatre renamed the Strand. Over the next several decades, the theatre was used for a variety of purposes, including as a Chinese movie house and even as a burlesque house for a time. Most recently, the main floor of the building has been converted into a bank, while the upper balcony has been closed. The Standard was designated as a heritage building in 2007.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings by J. M. Jeffrey of the Standard Theatre located at 285 Spadina Avenue. Elevations, floor plans, sections, detailing, a heating plan, a roof plan, a colour drawing of a theatre sign and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included. These drawings are the original permit plans that would have been used onsite during construction. Although Jeffrey is the name on the drawings, Benjamin Brown has also been credited as the architect for the theatre according to an August 31, 1922 Globe and Mail article detailing the opening night.
Name Access
Jeffrey, J. M.
Standard Theatre
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Drawings are torn and wrinkled. A conservator should examine these drawings before further handling.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions