Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
2 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
Fonds
49
Series
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-[1935]
Physical Description
327 architectural and technical drawings
Scope and Content
Series consists of Benjamin Brown’s architectural drawings of personal residences that were either designed or renovated for real estate developers, landlords or the occupants themselves. The majority of the buildings were designed for a Jewish clientele, many of whom were prominent citizens, including Louis Gelber and Mendel Granatstein. Brown also created designs for his own personal residence on Castle Frank Crescent, however the home was never completed. Most of the houses he designed or renovated were located in the Annex, Forest Hill, Casa Loma or Hillcrest neighborhoods. Many were designed with elements of Georgian, Craftman, Colonial Revival and/or Tudor architectural styles. They ranged from three storey mansions to small duplexes and single story homes. The vast majority of his commissions were standard three or four bedroom two storey homes.
The majority of these drawings are on tracing or drafting paper, several of which are in colour and the remainder are either blueprints or drawn on cardboard. Plans, sketches, elevations, sections, detailing and technical drawings of the residences are included.
Subjects
Dwellings
Physical Condition
Several drawings are in poor condition. See file level descriptions for further details.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
1
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1940
Physical Description
12 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 48 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the 1920s, Camp Yungvelt was originally situated on Lake Wilcox. Two years later it moved to Pickering, where it operated until it closed in the 1950s. It was established by the Workmen's Circle, as a Yiddish summer camp for Jewish children. Camp Yungvelt was known for accepting the children of poor immigrants for a small fraction of the regular fee.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of several new buildings that were erected at Camp Yungvelt. Floor plans, a foundation plan, and several elevation drawings are included.
Subjects
Camps
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions