Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
274 records – page 1 of 6.
Accession Number
2004-1-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-1-6
Material Format
architectural drawing
Physical Description
7 drawings : blueline prints ; 61 x 50 cm
Date
[ca. 1923]
Scope and Content
Drawings include: south & west elevations; cross section; details of window frames and balcony basement, ground floor, roof and balcony plans. Benjamin Swartz was the architect.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Name Access
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-3-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-3-6
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Physical Description
12 drawings: blueline and pencil: 111 x 77cm or smaller
1 folder of textual material
Date
1924-1981
Scope and Content
This accession consists of the original architectural plans of the Kiever Synagogue in Kensington Market as well as plans drawn by Martin Mendelow for the Synagogue's restoration in the early 1980s. Also included is a Mendelow drawing of the Minsk Synagogue and textual materials relating to the Kiever
Custodial History
Materials were kept by Martin Mendelow
Administrative History
Martin Mendelow is a well known architect working in the Toronto area. His professional association with the Kiever Synagogue began when he was hired as architect of the Synagogue's restoration, which was completed in the early 1980s
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Name Access
Anshei Minsk Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Menedelow, Martin
Places
Kensington Market (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-002
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-002
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 drawing
Date
1907-1943
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a Russian passport document (1907), Abraham Layefsky's permit to leave Canada with photograph (1917), his United States non-resident alien border crossing identification card (1943), and a blueprint of the Mozirer section of Roselawn Cemetery in Toronto.
Administrative History
Layefsky was a contractor who built a chapel on the grounds of the Roselawn Avenue cemetery.
Subjects
Contractors
Name Access
Layefsky, Abraham, 1882-
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-1; File 154
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-1
File
154
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1952-1953
Physical Description
1 cm of textual records
2 drawings : proposals ; 44 x 39 cm folded to 23 x 21 cm
Scope and Content
This file contains financial records, correspondence and meeting minutes pertaining to the decorations, kitchen and cultural committees, all which operated under the mandate of the Women's Committee. There are also two architectural proposals for the layout of a basement lounge.
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-3; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-3
File
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1958-1960
Physical Description
22 drawings : technical and detail ; 77 x 107 cm folded to 33 x 26 or smaller
Scope and Content
This file contains twenty-two architectural drawings of the northern Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. building, created by W. Sefton & Associates Ltd. Consulting Engineers and Gordon S. Adamson & Associates Architects. The drawings detail the facilities and grounds, including the shower rooms, the fire alarm system, the swimming pool, and aspects of the building's foundation and masonry. The drawings are to scale.
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 2-2; File 93
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
2-2
File
93
Material Format
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1956-1968
Physical Description
65 photographs : b&w (17 negatives ) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
1 drawing : proposal ; 21 x 36 cm
Scope and Content
This file consists of photographs taken during the construction of the northern Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. branch. Included are images of the surrounding land and river and some images of the completed building and parking lot. There are also some photographic copies of artistic renderings of the interior of the building, photographs of individuals looking at architectural plans and drawings of the new building -- including the visiting Israeli tennis team -- and a copy drawing of the original architectural proposal. There are also some images of the Building Committee and a fundraising meeting at the home of Sam Granatstein.
Identified individuals include Ben Shore, Dorothy Shore, Stephen Shore, John Shore, Percy Hermant, Gordon A. Adamson (architect), Lou Posluns, Sam Granatstein, Paul Granatstein, Alex Fisher, E. I. Shapiro, Ralph Fisher, H. Max Swartz, Bert Fine, Florence Hutner, Harvey Blackstein, Louis Posluns, John Fienberg and Stephen Berger.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-3; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-3
File
4
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1981
Physical Description
1 cm of textual records (1 v.)
8 drawings : proposal ; 28 x 43 cm folded to 28 x 22 cm
Scope and Content
This file consists of a study conducted by A.J. Diamond & Partners, Architects & Planners and A.J. Vermeulen, Quantity Surveyor on the feasibility of modifying the Bloor building to accommodate the new demands made on the athletic, school and community space. The study includes information on demographics of the surrounding area, program analysis and renovation/addition options. There are eight accompanying drawings of the proposed modifications, prepared by the architects.
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Amalgamated Dawes Road Trustees fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 63
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Amalgamated Dawes Road Trustees fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
63
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1950-1978
Physical Description
1.2 m of textual records and architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
The Amalgamated Dawes Road Trustees (ADRT) is a non-profit body that was established in 1950. Its primary mandate has been to oversee and maintain the Jewish cemetery located at Dawes Road, which was established around 1903. This has involved maintaining the grounds, fixing and straightening monuments, and beautifying the surroundings. All funds that they receive are spent on the maintenance of the cemetery. In 1953, the ADRT took over responsibility for the Jones Avenue cemetery as well, at the request of Beth Tzedec Congregation after the merger of its two predecessor congregations who owned the two cemeteries.
Previously, ADRT reported to the Canadian Jewish Congress, however, was an autonomous entity with independent decision-making powers. The Trustees that run it are drawn from the congregations and societies who own plots at these two cemeteries. During the early years, there were also representatives from the CJC and the United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto.
In 1950, there were 34 groups that possessed cemetery plots, and today, there are 51. Some of the larger and more prominent ones include Beth Tzedec, Temple Sinai, Beth Emeth, Beth David, the Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society, the United Jewish People's Order and the Keltzer Sick Benefit Society. The ADRT office was originally located at 150 Beverley Street. It later relocated to 3169 St. Clair Avenue East, closer to the cemetery.
Custodial History
The records appear to have been donated by Kurt Kramer, Administrative Secretary for the Amalgamated Dawes Road Trustees.
Scope and Content
The records in this fonds were produced by the ADRT and support their activities. They include legal documents, correspondence, meeting agendas and minutes, perpetual care trusts, auditor reports, interment information, burial certificates, foundation documents, burial charts and a small number of blueprints.
Notes
Associated material note: the Canadian Jewish Genealogical Society of Toronto has produced a database for the burial records and has placed 13,000 entries from the Dawes Road cemetery on the Jewish Gen JOBR Web site.
Name Access
Amalgamated Dawes Road Trustees
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Physical Condition
Much of the correspondence is brittle and flaking.
Creator
Amalgamatied Dawes Road Trustees (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
2005-2-5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hillel Foundation, University of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 65
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hillel Foundation, University of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
65
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1945-1988
Physical Description
3.72 m of textual records, graphic material and architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
The B’nai Brith Hillel Foundation was founded at the University of Illinois in 1923 by Rabbi Benjamin Frankel. The University of Toronto chapter was established in 1946, by which point there were over one thousand Jewish undergraduates at the university. Hillel’s mandate was to foster students’ Jewish identity, creating a religious, cultural and communal environment and coordinating the activities of many affiliated sub-groups. Hillel was supported by the B’nai Brith Foundation and the United Jewish Welfare Fund (later the Toronto Jewish Congress), with increasing operational funding from the latter as the decades passed.
Hillel’s predecessor at the University of Toronto was the Menorah Society, founded in 1917 and disbanded in 1931 due to waning interest. In 1944 the Jewish Student Fellowship was formed, and on January 23, 1946 it was transformed into the University of Toronto B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation.
Hillel chapters were run with the guidance of a professional appointed by the B’nai Brith Hillel Foundations at American and Canadian Universities. During the period covered by this fonds, U of T Hillel had four directors: Rabbi Aaron Kamerling (director 1946-1970), Rabbi Eliyahu Eliezri (1970-1971), Ben Mayer (1971-1978) and Gerry Fisher (1978-1981). The director answered to a board of advisors, drawn from the university and Jewish communities, that was responsible for maintaining Hillel House, overseeing staffing, and representing the Foundation to the public. Early chairmen of this board included Edward E. Gelber, Jack D. Pearlstein, Cyril Houser, Dr. Alexander Lipson, Sidney Midanik, and E. M. Sprackman.
At the day-to-day operations level, Hillel was run by an elected council of thirteen students under the director’s guidance. At U of T, the Hillel student council created and implemented a yearly program, edited the literary magazine and Hillelite bulletin, and over the years maintained the following standing committees: religious; cultural; house; social; publicity; art, music and drama; United Jewish Appeal; debates; membership; and seminar. The council met monthly and was required to call general meetings bi-monthly.
Hillel’s first administrative offices were at 492 Spadina Avenue, with programs held in various locations, including the B’nai Brith Youth Organization space at 750 Spadina Avenue, and local synagogues. From the beginning, Hillel joined forces with the B’nai Brith Youth Organization to raise funds for a permanent home on campus for Hillel. Programs in the early years included Shabbat services and lectures, arts performances, dances, personal counseling, and courses such as Jewish Literature and Hebrew. Three times a year Hillel published the Scribe, a literary magazine addressing topics of Jewish heritage, life, and prominent figures. This was replaced in the 1950s by an annual magazine named Reflections. The Hillelite bulletin informed members of activities and events. Hillel continued to build the Judaica collection of its Norman Raitblat Memorial Library. It also sent delegates each year to the Hillel Summer Institute in New York State; the Brandeis Camp Institute, a leadership training program sponsored by the American Zionist Youth Commission; and, beginning in 1948, the Inter-Hillel Conference, which was hosted alternately by Queen’s University, McGill University, and U of T.
In 1950, Hillel acquired a house at 186 St. George Street. Hillel House was formally dedicated at Convocation Hall on January 21, 1951. In December 1977 Hillel House was destroyed by fire, after which its offices were moved to space in the YMHA building at Bloor and Spadina. Programs were hosted for several years at ‘The Lower East Side’, in the Newman Centre at 89 St. George Street. In June 1979 Hillel acquired office space in a house at 604 Spadina Avenue.
In the 1970s Hillel’s numbers across North America were in decline. In 1974 the Jewish student population at U of T was approximately 3000, but only 400 were registered members. This slump was apparently reversed by the end of the decade, however, when student interest grew enough that a general council of forty students was established to supplement the elected student council (steering committee). 1970s programs included conventions and retreats, United Jewish Appeal fundraising campaigns, a Shabbat co-op, a choir, the Coffeehouse lounge, a film series, a music club, a library society, an annual Purim Bash, an art festival, and counseling groups.
Hillel also served as the voice of Jewish students at the university. The U of T chapter participated in the fight against quotas for Jewish students and faculty, advocated for Kosher food availability on campus, and was successful in persuading the university to avoid having examinations on Jewish holidays. In addition, Hillel often represented the views of the Jewish community to the general student population. It has been involved in the dissemination of Holocaust awareness material and in counteracting propaganda against Israel.
In 1970, partnering with the Jewish Student Federation of York University, Hillel established the Free Jewish University. Its courses were held on the U of T and York campuses and featured free courses covering a range of intellectual, personal and practical topics. Also in conjunction with York, Hillel published Or monthly newspaper and the Masada quarterly magazine. The latter evolved into a non-partisan newspaper, Migdal, which in turn became Images in the early 1980s. In addition, the Jewish Students’ Enquirer was published monthly, a joint publication of Jewish students at U of T, York University, Ryerson Polytechnical Institute, and Seneca College.
In 1978, with a view to modernize and reinvigorate its image, Hillel changed its name to the Jewish Students’ Union–B’nai Brith Hillel. The decision involved some contention with the Hillel advisory board, and reflected a closer association with the Toronto Jewish Congress. A third unofficial organization name, J.U.S.T. (Jewish University Students of Toronto), was used for the monthly newsletter, J.U.S.T. News. This newsletter was briefly renamed The Rolling Scribe before being discontinued in 1980.
The 1980s saw Hillel coordinating the efforts and activities of a large number of interest groups: Student United Jewish Appeal, Toronto Student Zionists, Student Struggle for Soviet Jewry, Jewish Residence Council, Jewish Studies Course Union, Student Mobilization for Jews in Arab Lands, Moadon Aliyah, Canadian Branch: North American Jewish Students Network, and Israeli Students Organization. Hillel is now represented on three Toronto universities and three college campuses.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists mainly of textual records created, received and maintained by Hillel directors from 1945 through 1988. The records document the directors’ administration and programming activities, Hillel events, and relations with outside organizations. The most concentrated set of records are those of Rabbi Kamerling from the 1940s and 1950s. The fonds is comprised of correspondence, memoranda, reports, newspapers and newsletters, publicity material, calendars of events, financial records, event programmes, and catalogues. There are blueprints of the proposed extension to Hillel House in the 1960s, the mid-1970s renovations, and the new Hillel House on Huron Street considered in 1978. The fonds also includes annual reports for 1953-1955 and 1960-1970, and a number of publications (incomplete sets): the Hillelite and the Hillel Scribe from the 1940s, the J.U.S.T. (Jewish University Students of Toronto) News, its successor The Rolling Scroll, and newspapers Masada, Migdal, Reflections, Or, and the Jewish Students’ Enquirer.
The fonds contains 130 photographs, predominantly black and white, in the form of prints, contact sheets and 35mm negatives. Aside from 32 head shots of speakers and performers from 1950s events, the photographs date from the 1970s. There are images of plays, meetings, special events, and executive members.
Fonds is arranged with each director’s files separate and in approximate alphabetical order by file name. The files are loosely based on subject/function, likely as they were originally created. Rabbi Kamerling’s records are in two groups since they were acquired in two accessions (see note below).
Name Access
B'nai Brith Hillel Foundation at the University of Toronto (Toronto, Ont.)
Related Material
See MG 9 for a more complete run of publications with which Hillel was involved (eg. Midgal, Images).
Arrangement
Processing of the collection maintained each director’s files separate and in their original order. Following the Hillel House fire in 1978, Rabbi Kamerling’s records (1945-1955) were acquired by the Archives. In 1986, additional Kamerling files were acquired (1946-1970). These overlapping sets of records were described and processed separately.
Creator
B'nai Brith Hillel Foundation at the University of Toronto (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1978-3-7
1981-5-2
1988-11-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Quebec synagogues series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 1; File 45
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Quebec synagogues series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
1
File
45
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
30 photographs : col. slides and (2) b&w photographs ; 35 mm and 12 x 9 cm
1 architectural drawing
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
Fonds
64
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1980
Physical Description
35 cm of textual records
10 photographs
41 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
Series contains reference materials created by and written about the synagogues. Primary records include commemorative booklets, a small number of newsletters, brochures, and programs from special events. There are also newspaper clippings and copied articles providing histories of synagogues. There is a small number of photograph prints and negatives, but many of the files also include photographs from books, magazines or photocopies. The series is arranged in alphabetical order by city, then by synagogue. Not every synagogue the project team researched has a reference file, and there may be reference files for shuls for which no photographs survive.
Subjects
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
10
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1961-1962
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains two architectural drawings and a Service of Dedication programme for the synagogue from 1962.
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Fredericton (N.B.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 26
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
26
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1952-1977
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
5 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains an information brochure, 25th anniversary commemoration book and five 1952 blueprints for the building.
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 27
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
27
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1951, 1969
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains programme and newspaper advertisement for the sod turning ceremony of the synagogue (1969), as well as 2 1951 blueprints for the building.
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 28
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
28
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
3 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains bar mitzvah year programme for synagogue (1978) and photocopied architectural drawings.
Subjects
Bar mitzvah
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 33
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
33
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1947
Physical Description
7 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains 7 blueprints for the 1947 extension and alterations to the shul.
Name Access
Congregation Ahavath Shalom
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 40
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
40
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1973, 1975
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
3 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains booklet for bar mitzvah commemoration, 1975, and blueprints for the 1973 extension.
Subjects
Bar mitzvah
Reconstructionist Judaism
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 41
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
41
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains photocopied articles, a newspaper clipping, photocopied photographs, a greeting card with photograph on cover, copies of the 1859 contract commissioning the erection of the synagogue as well as a list of specifications for the masons, and blueprints for the 1967 extension.
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 43
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
43
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1960]-1975
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains 50th anniversary booklet (1975), and two blueprints of the building.
Name Access
Shaare Zion Congregation (Montréal, Québec)
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 48
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
48
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1949, 1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 architectural drawing
Scope and Content
File contains a form letter from the congregation regarding High Holiday services (17 July 1978), and a blueprint for the auditorium building (1949).
Name Access
Young Israel of Montreal
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 66
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
66
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1920-1977
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 architectural drawing
Scope and Content
File contains a copied photograph from The Jewish Post, the congregation's constitution adopted in 1920, and a blueprint from 1955.
Name Access
Agudas Israel
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Saskatoon (Sask.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 89
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
89
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1958, 1971
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains copied newspaper article, "Congregation Beth Israel - Centre of Conservative Judaism," from the Jewish Western Bulletin, and blueprints from 1971 renovations.
Name Access
Beth Israel Synagogue
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Vancouver (B.C.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 99
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
99
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1974-1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
5 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains a clipping of an architectural drawing (elevation).
Name Access
Beth Israel Congregation
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Winnipeg (Man.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 90
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
90
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1976
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing
Scope and Content
File contains a blueprint for the shul/community centre (1976).
Name Access
Beth Tikvah Congregation
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Richmond (B.C.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 62
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
62
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1952
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains five 1952 blueprints.
Name Access
House of Israel
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
Fonds
49
Series
1
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[1915]-1940
Physical Description
174 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
Series consists of Benjamin Brown’s architectural plans and drawings of significant buildings designed or renovated for Toronto‘s Jewish community, including proposals that were never implemented. Contained within are renovation plans of the Beach Hebrew Institute synagogue, an ark design for the McCaul Street Synagogue, and the complete designs of the Henry Street Synagogue. The last of these projects is of particular significance, because it was the first synagogue in Toronto designed by a Jewish architect and was one of Brown‘s largest commissions. Drawings of the Primrose Club (a Jewish men’s club) and the Brunswick Talmud Torah Day School, as well as plans of Camp Yungvelt (a Jewish summer camp) are also included. Additionally, several preliminary sketches of synagogue facades are contained within.
The majority of these drawings are on tracing or drafting paper, several of which are in colour, and the remainder are either blueprints or drawn on cardboard. Floor plans, elevations, sections, foundation plans and sketches of building exterior facades and interiors are included. Additionally, there are drawings of windows, doors and synagogue arks.
Physical Condition
Several drawings and plans are in poor condition. See file level descriptions for further details.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 49; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
49
Series
4
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
Dec.12, 1910
Physical Description
1 architectural drawings : pencil on cardboard ; 29 cm x 40 cm
Scope and Content
Item consists of a detailed elevation drawing of a public library. Benjamin Brown completed this drawing during his time as a student at the University of Toronto.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-1922
Physical Description
136 architectural drawings : pencil, some hand col., watercolour, on linen weave and tracing paper ; 100 x 90 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Henry Street Beth Jacob Synagogue was founded by Toronto’s Polish-Jewish Community, as the successor of an older, smaller synagogue on Elm Street. It was the first synagogue in Toronto that was designed by a Jewish architect, Benjamin Brown. Located at 23 and 23 ½ Henry Street, the synagogue was dedicated in 1922, at a cost of $156,000, and could accommodate up to eight hundred worshippers. It was built in Romanesque style and was notable for its stained glass windows and retractable roof that was used on Sukkoth. It also contained a vaulted ceiling capped by a large dome and four smaller ones. The building was eventually sold and converted into a church. It is the current site of the Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Beth Jacob Synagogue. Contained within are basement, floor, stairwell and roof plans, load plans, sections, and elevation drawings. Also included are detailing of windows, the Ark, entrances and other structures and objects.
Notes
Most of the drawings are stored in four rolls, the remainder are encased in five sheets of Melinex. Due to the fragility of these drawings, the medium, extent and sizes of them are based on the descriptions compiled by Steve Speisman. It is recommended that a conservator examine these drawings.
Name Access
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Some drawings are frayed and torn.
Places
Henry Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1922]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col., watercolour, on cardboard backed paper ; 90 x 73 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah Day School was established in 1907 and was originally situated on Simcoe Avenue. In 1922 the school received a charter from the Province of Ontario and relocated to Brunswick Avenue the same year. The new school opened in 1925 as a non-denominational afternoon school. It was the precursor to the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto.
Scope and Content
File consists of one drawing of the exterior of the Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Related Material
See File 49-5-13 for plans of the Yorkville Talmud Torah Day School in New York, designed by Benjamin W. Levitan.
Places
Brunswick Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
4
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1924]
Physical Description
9 architectural drawings : pencil, 6 hand col. pastel, 7 on tracing paper ; 36 x 50 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah Day School was established in 1907 and was originally situated on Simcoe Avenue. In 1922 the school received a charter from the Province of Ontario and relocated to Brunswick Avenue the same year. The new school opened in 1925 as a non-denominational afternoon school. It was the precursor to the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto.
Scope and Content
File consists of Benjamin Brown's designs for the Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah. Contained within are sketches of various entrances and frontages for the Brusnwick Avenue Talmud Torah. Designs of the Ark are also included.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile, several are torn.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
5
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1920
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : 1 pen on linen weave and 5 pencil ; 54 x 54 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of Benjamin Brown's designs for a proposed synagogue. The designs were likely created before the congregation had purchased land or secured an architect. The congregation did not end up using Benjamin Brown as the architect. Included are floor plans, sections, and a rough sketch of the exterior.
Subjects
Synagogues
Physical Condition
Drawings are brittle and fragile. One drawing is badly torn.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
6
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1915]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil and hand col., watercolour, 1 on cardboard backed paper ; 52 x 41 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Chevra Tehillim congregation was established in 1887 and held services at various locations until it moved to its permanent home at 69 McCaul Street in 1905. Around 1910, the congregation had the McCaul premises remodeled. The synagogue remained on McCaul Street until 1952, when it merged with Goel Tzedek to form the Beth Tzedek synagogue, currently Canada's largest. The Beth Tzedek synagogue is currently located on Bathurst Street. The McCaul Street premises was demolished in the late 1950s.
Scope and Content
File consists of two colour drawings of a proposed new Ark for the McCaul Street Synagogue. They were drawn by Benjamin Brown as a proposal for redesigning the Ark during the 1910s. According to an interview with Brown in 1973, this ark was his first commission after he opened his office at 600 Bay St.
Notes
It is possible that Item #16 is a design of the Ark for the Beach Hebrew Institute.
Subjects
Torah arks
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
Fonds
49
Series
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-[1935]
Physical Description
327 architectural and technical drawings
Scope and Content
Series consists of Benjamin Brown’s architectural drawings of personal residences that were either designed or renovated for real estate developers, landlords or the occupants themselves. The majority of the buildings were designed for a Jewish clientele, many of whom were prominent citizens, including Louis Gelber and Mendel Granatstein. Brown also created designs for his own personal residence on Castle Frank Crescent, however the home was never completed. Most of the houses he designed or renovated were located in the Annex, Forest Hill, Casa Loma or Hillcrest neighborhoods. Many were designed with elements of Georgian, Craftman, Colonial Revival and/or Tudor architectural styles. They ranged from three storey mansions to small duplexes and single story homes. The vast majority of his commissions were standard three or four bedroom two storey homes.
The majority of these drawings are on tracing or drafting paper, several of which are in colour and the remainder are either blueprints or drawn on cardboard. Plans, sketches, elevations, sections, detailing and technical drawings of the residences are included.
Subjects
Dwellings
Physical Condition
Several drawings are in poor condition. See file level descriptions for further details.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
Fonds
49
Series
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
textual record
Date
1919-1949
Physical Description
ca. 1000 architectural and technical drawings
2 photographs : b&w ; 38 x 30 cm or smaller
1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of architectural and technical drawings of commercial buildings that Benjamin Brown either designed or altered. Most of Brown’s clients were Jewish owned businesses, several of which were run by prominent members of the community. These businesses included Imperial Optical, Gelber Brothers Woolens, the City Dye Works, Schipper Brothers Furs, and the Empire Clothing Company.
Architectural plans of apartments, warehouses, theatres, service stations, banks, restaurants, stores, office towers, a bakery and a laundry are included. Several of these buildings are now designated as Toronto heritage buildings. These include the Balfour Building, the Hermant Building (eastern tower), the Hermant Annex, the Commodore Building and the Standard Theatre. Also included are plans of the headquarters of Famous Players Canada, which later became a subsidiary of Cineplex Odeon.
The majority of the drawings are either blueprints or pencil drawings on tracing or drafting paper, several of which are also in colour. Some are on linen weave or cardboard. Plans, elevations, sections, sketches, detailing, photographs of building exteriors, building specifications, and technical drawings of the buildings are included.
Physical Condition
Several drawings are in poor condition. See file level descriptions for further details.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
1
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1933
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 2 pencil on tracing pape r; 43 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of alterations to a two storey building for Mrs. I. Tohn. The building contained a confectionery and tobacconist store on the ground floor, and a two bedroom dwelling on the second floor. Floor plans, a block plan and several elevation drawings are included.
Physical Condition
Tracing paper is torn.
Places
Ossington Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1934]
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 4 pencil, 1 on tracing paper ; 48 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Established in 1898, National Trust was a financial institution that managed the assets of trust funds and estates. It was headquartered at 20 King St. E., and merged with Scotiabank in 1997.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, sections and elevation drawings of a two storey building for National Trust at 28 Atlantic Avenue.
Places
Atlantic Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
[ca.1935]
Physical Description
9 architectural drawings : 6 blueprints, 3 pencil ; 44 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Joseph and Abraham Lewis were the joint owners of the Dominion Printing Company, whose head office was at 259 Spadina Avenue.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of a two storey residence being converted into a single storey printing facility at 92 McCaul St. for Mr. Joseph Lewis. Several floor plans, sections, and elevation drawings are contained within. Also included is a fourteen page specification booklet detailing the work to be done on the building.
Name Access
Lewis, Joseph
Places
McCaul Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
5
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1929
Physical Description
8 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 7 pencil on tracing paper, some hand col. pencil crayon ; 44 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Joseph Goldenberg was the owner of a dwelling and kosher restaurant located at 63 Elizabeth Street. After selling it in 1925, he purchased a new kosher restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue. Alterations and additions to the restaurant were made in 1929 and 1934 respectively.
Scope and Content
File consists of several floor plans and elevation drawings.
Related Material
See File 49-3-84 for the architectural drawings of the 1934 alterations to Mr. Goldenberg's restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
6
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : blueprint ; 54 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Morris Rubinoff was the owner of a drygoods store.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of additions and alterations to a store and dwelling for Mr. Morris Rubinoff at 510 Queen St. West. Sections, floor plans and an elevation drawing are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission VIII.
Places
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
7
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : 5 pen on linen weave, 1 pencil on tracing paper ; 49 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. J. Pearlman was the owner of a drygoods store and residence at 261 Danforth Avenue in the 1910s. In the 1920s, Mr. Pearlman moved his residence and business to 525 Danforth Avenue.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural plans for alterations and additions to a three storey building for Mr. J. Pearlman at 261 Danforth Avenue. The first floor contained stores and a billiards room, and the second and third floors contained accommodations for a five bedroom dwelling. Floor plans, sections, elevation views, and a block plan are included. This project was one of Benjamin Brown's earlier commissions.
Places
Danforth Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
8
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1936
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil on tracing paper ; 42 cm length and 2 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Toronto Macaroni was an Italian owned company, located at 2738 Dundas West. One of the owners was Domenico Viggiani, who sold his wife's spaghetti sauce under the Mamma Bravo label. In the 1960s, Toronto Macaroni was bought by General Mills. The Mamma Bravo label was later sold to Heinz.
Scope and Content
File contains the plans of a four gate garage at the rear of a building on Hook Avenue for the Toronto Macaroni Company. Floor plans, a block plan, elevation views and sections are included.
Places
Hook Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
9
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
3 architectural and technical drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 46 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
John H. McKnight had an office at 600 Bay Street, in the same building as Benjamin Brown.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, sections, elevation views and the design of a gasoline and oil interceptor.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Related Material
See File 49-3-42 for architectural drawings of a machine shop for Mr. John H. McKnight.
Places
Bay Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
10
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1936-1937
Physical Description
14 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper, 3 hand col., pencil crayon ; 62 cm length or smaller and 10 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a six storey apartment building at 10 Moir Ave. for W. J. Lovegrove Limited. Floor plans, elevation views, a section and a block plan are included.
Physical Condition
One drawing is torn.
Places
Moir Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
1
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1922
Physical Description
9 architectural and technical drawings : 8 blueprints, 1 pencil on tracing paper ; 53 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a four bedroom, two storey home for Mr. Ira Levy at 30 Dunvegan Road. The home also contained a sun room and an attached garage. Floor plans, elevations and a basement heating plan are included.
Places
Dunvegan Road (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
11
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934-1935
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 46 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of proposed alterations to the Calanco-Tywon Hotel at 78-80 Centre Avenue. The hotel was a two storey structure located in Chinatown near Dundas and University. Floors plans and elevation drawings are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission XXV.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Places
Centre Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
12
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pencil crayon on tracing paper ; 44 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey building that was converted into a hotel, situated at 628-632 Bloor St. West. Floor plans and an elevation drawing are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission XXVI.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Places
Bloor Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
13
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1930]
Physical Description
9 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 7 pencil on tracing paper, 3 hand col. pastel, 1 on verso of blueprint ; 47 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Owned by Mr. A. Levy, Levy Auto Wreckers was one of Canada's largest auto wreckers during the 1930s. The head office was located at 735/737 Queen Street West and it had a branch office at 464 Queen Street East.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of the head office of Levy Auto Wreckers. Floor plans, elevations, and sketches are included.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile, one is torn in half.
Related Material
See File 49-3-27 for plans of a branch office at 464 Queen Street East.
See File 49-5-10 for plans of stores for Mr. A. Levy on St. Clair Avenue that were designed by E. Telfer Arnoldi.
Places
Queen Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
14
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil on tracing paper ; 54 cm length and 5 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of "The Alps" restaurant at 2872 Dundas Street West. Included are two elevation drawings and a floor plan on a single sheet.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile and torn.
Places
Dundas Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
15
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1935-1936
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 46 cm length or smaller and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Morris Spring was a Jewish real-estate agent and developer. In 1932-33, Mr. Spring purchased and developed several properties in the Hillcrest and Casa Loma areas, as well as the Bloor-Landsdowne area.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of three connected buildings containing stores and dwellings commissioned by Mr. Morris Spring. They were located at 1248-1252 Bloor St. West. The buildings were all two storeys high and had shops on the ground floor and dwellings on the second floor. Floor plans, sections and elevation drawings are included.
Notes
Originally was separated into two projects - Commission no.XXII and XXXII - according to Speisman's finding aid.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Related Material
See File 49-2-3 for the plans of a residence for Mr. Spring at 43 Hillcrest Drive.
See File 49-2-10 for the plans of a residence for Mr. Spring at 19 Austin Crescent.
Places
Bloor Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
16
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1936
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : pencil and hand col., watercolour, on verso of blueprints ; 38 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of three high quality drawings of the interior and exterior of "My Valet", a single storey clothing store located at 1492 1/2 Bathurst Street for Mr. C. W. Fountain.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Bathurst Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
274 records – page 1 of 6.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content