Superseding the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, the first Annual Campaign of the new United Jewish Welfare Fund took place in 1938. It combined the appeals of 37 organizations into one, eliminating much of the inefficiency and competition of the previous twenty years. Money raised was for agencies and causes new and traditional, local and overseas. Recipients included; the Jewish Immigrant Aid Services, Canadian Jewish Congress, the United Jewish Relief Agencies, the Joint Distribution Committee, and Palestine. In 1938, Campaign could be completed within a mere two weeks and raised $161,000. This figure rose to $348,000 in 1942 and surpassed one million dollars in 1951. When the State of Israel was established in 1948, Campaign was combined with the CJC and the United Palestine appeals into a new, combined campaign and re-named The United Jewish Appeal (UJA).
With different local and world challenges and crises over time, annual campaigns have had a variety of foci: for example, the plight of Displaced Persons in Europe after the Second World War; the 1957 Rescue Campaign for refugees in Russia, Europe and North Africa; the first Emergency Campaign in 1967 in response to the Six Days’ War; and Operation Exodus 1990-1991, which raised funds to aid Soviet Jews.
Early Campaign leadership was provided by lay people. Chairmen of the Campaign Cabinet included Samuel Godfrey, Ben Sadowski, Samuel J. Granatstein, Bernard Vise, Morris S. Till, and Samuel J. Zacks. A small administration committee carried out daily operations, but the bulk of the fundraising work was performed by the Service Council, a group of volunteers who planned, canvassed and evaluated each campaign, as well as organizing educational programs and public meetings. A Women’s Service Council and a Young Peoples’ Service Council also played key fundraising roles.
Canvassing was conducted by volunteers from each professional or trade Division, such as doctors, lawyers, retail sales, etc. The volunteers were responsible for canvassing the members of their own group. A special Women’s Campaign had its own chair, sub-committees and programming. Divisions were further added to reflect the amounts of donations, Top Gifts, and Major Gifts for example. By the 1980s, the Service Councils had given way to professional Campaign Associates employed by UJWF. With further changes to UJWF/UJA Federation’s structure, Campaign first fell under the Financial Resource Development Department, then Integrated Development, and, in 2009, the Centre for Philanthropy. It is now supported by the Donor Relations Management, Donor Research, and Missions/VIP departments which cater to the diverse interests of individual donors.
Through the 1940s and 1950s, face-to-face canvassing was the norm, with donor’s names and gifts published in the UJWF annual report. By the 1960s, an expanding community and a need for efficiency increased the use of the telephone, with regular telethons involving hundreds of volunteers. In 1970, a regular springtime Walk with Israel was included within the rest of Campaign events. In the 21st Century, the internet is used to solicit donations, publicize campaign news and events, and register volunteers for telethons and events like the Walk.
Scope and Content
Series consists of two sub-series, Walk with Israel (sub-series 17-1) and General Campaign Records (sub-series 17-2).
Physical description note: Includes photographs, videocassettes, posters, DVDs, artfacts and books.
ca. 7 metres of textual records and other material
Scope and Content
Series consists of the general office subject and correspondence files of the Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region. Included is correspondence, memos, reports, speeches, bulletins, news releases, conference proceedings, promotional material, news clippings, photographs, videos, and sound recordings. The records relate to a wide variety of topics, such as small communities, Yiddish culture, Holocaust survivors and remembrance, Jewish youth and seniors, fundraising initiatives, neo-nazis, Cuban Jews, education, and human rights issues and legal cases.
Physical description note: Includes 390 photographs, 89 audio cassettes, 11 videocassettes, and 4 drawings.
Files created by the United Jewish Relief Agencies have been removed and may now be found within Fonds 17, Series 4.
Files created by the Committee for Soviet Jewry have been removed and may now be found within Fonds 17, Series 3
Files created by the Joint Community Relations Committee have been removed and may now be found within fonds 17, Series 5.
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Series consists of various photographs and audio-visual records. The photographs are grouped mainly by decade. A majority of audio cassettes pertain to the 1981 conference on disabled Jewish people and associated activities. The video cassette is a narrated history of the National Council of Jewish Women of Canada.
The first Canadian section of the National Council of Jewish Women was founded in Toronto in 1897. Toronto Section has been one of the most active sections of the National Council of Jewish Women of Canada and has provided many of its leaders. This series charts the growth of Toronto Section, predominantly from the 1930s through the early 1990s.
Scope and Content
Series consists of annual reports, bulletins and Council Communiqués, executive and board minutes, chairmen's handbooks, event and Angel's Ball programs and invitations, publicity material, scrapbooks, photographs, newsclippings, published histories, reports, anniversary booklets, architectural drawings of Council House, certificates, playscripts, audio recordings and a videocassette of the council's history.
The series is divided into 13 sub-series: Presidents; Executive; Board of Directors; Communication porfolio; Membership portfolio; Education portfolio; Thrift shop portfolio; Ways and means portfolio; Finance portfolio; House committee; Service portfolio; Special events; and Toronto Section archival material.
Physical decscription note: Includes 2080 photographs, 2 artistic drawings, 13 architectural drawings, 1 object and 1 sound recording.
Series consists of records documenting the Koffler Centre of the Arts' performances and events. Included are program guides, promotional material highlighting visiting Israeli artists and Koffler Centre of the Arts fundraisers, Stars of the 21st Century Galas and off-site performances, correspondence, administrative material, legal contracts, perfomance videos and photographs, media releases, press clippings and reviews.
Series consists of biographical materials and memorabilia relating to Ben Kayfetz and his family. Materials include newspaper articles, a taped interview, certificates, awards, university examinations, personal memorabilia from his service in Germany and materials relating to the Bronfman Medal and Order of Canada he received. This series also contains the video "The Life and the Times of Ben Kayfetz".
Audio tape A14 is part of this series.
Physical description note: includes 1 photograph, 1 audio tape and 1 Beta video cassette.
ca. 1350 photographs : col. slides and b&w prints and other material
Scope and Content
Series consists of the records of sixty-nine Quebec synagogues, fifty-nine of them in Montreal. The records include black and white Polaroid prints of the exterior and interior of synagogues and 35 mm colour slides of the same. Series also contains forms filled out for each synagogue for the Canadian Inventory of Historic Buildings. These forms detail the buildings' architectural details such as size, shape, construction, windows, doors, trim, stairs, etc. Series includes one audio cassette from Temple Emanu-el in Montreal, containing a recorded interview with Rabbi Stern.
The series is arranged alphabetically by city, then synagogue.
Physical description note: includes 28 cm of textual records, 1 audio cassette, and 1 architectural drawing.
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
ca. 360 photographs : b&w, sepia toned, and col (99 contact sheet, 2 slides) ; 34 x 26 cm or smaller and other material
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Phil Givens’ work as Mayor of Toronto from 1963 until 1966. The bulk of the records are photographs featuring Mayor Givens at various city and community events; of note are images of Givens meeting with Robert Kennedy, Israeli President Zalmon Shazar, Sam Shopsowitz, and Pope Paul VI. Also included is general correspondence, speeches, election campaign materials, cartoons, certificates, artifacts, textual records related to the acquisition of the Henry Moore sculpture, a VHS cassette of Givens discussing the building of the New City Hall and an audiocassette documenting a council trip to Montreal in 1966. In addition, there is a small number of photographs which document events that occurred outside the dates of his time in office, but which relate to his role as mayor.
The series has been arranged into nine sub-series: 4-1. Campaign; 4-2. City of Toronto Council; 4-3. Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto Council; 4-4. City of Toronto Board of Control; 4-5. Henry Moore Sculpture and artwork; 4-6. Official engagements; 4-7. Certificates and Awards; 4-8. Portraits and publicity; and 4-9. Political cartoons.
Includes 7.8 cm of textual records, 14 drawings, 1 DVD, 1 videocassette, 1 audiocassette, and 8 objects.
Photographers and photography studios are identified on the photographs.
Sol Edell, the son of Paul and Mollie Edell, was one of five siblings. He and Dolly Weinstock, the daughter of Moishe and Sylvia Weinstock, had two daughters and two sons and lived in Toronto. After Dolly died in 1961, he married Celia (nee Rogen) Hoffman, a widow, in 1966. He became the stepfather to the two sons of Max and Celia Hoffman who had been residents of Hamilton. Some members of the family remained in Toronto while others moved to other parts of Canada, the United States and Israel. Sol Edell was actively involved in or provided financial support to many educational, professional and religious organizations.
Scope and Content
Series includes correspondence, invitations, publications, photographs, family films and a sound recording. The series is made up of seven sub-series: Associations, Charities, Community Activities, Education and Extra-Curricular Activities, Life Cycle and Family Events, Religious, and Residence.
Physical description note: includes 12 photographs, 7 film reels, 1 audio reel, 1 plaque, 4 badges, and 47 architectural drawings.
Adas Israel is an orthodox congregation that was founded in the 1920s. The original building was on Cannon Street in downtown Hamilton. After the arrival of Rabbi Morton Green in 1958, a decision was made to move the synagogue to the western suburbs of Hamilton. The new building was built in 1961 and also included the Hamilton Hebrew Academy Day School. Since its move, synagogue membership has increased from 75 families to 350 families. Sol Edell became a member in 1966 after he married Celia Hoffman who was a member of the congregation. He did not attend the synagogue and had no regular involvement but did supervise a number synagogue renovation projects.
The material in this series was originally collected by the Hoffman family who were members of the congregation in the 1960s. Sol Edell became a member of the congregation after his marriage to Celia Hoffman in 1966. After her death in 1973, he inherited the material that she had collected and he continued to receive material from the congregation since he maintained his membership until his death in 2000.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, blueprints, photographs, audiotapes and films relating to the establishment and construction of the new synagogue in 1961. It also includes correspondence and anniversary books documenting a variety of synagogue activities such as the dedication of the synagogue and a tribute dinner honouring Rabbi Mordechai Green. Also included are synagogue bulletins from 1958 to 2000. The series is made up of 6 sub series: Building, Clergy, Religious, Programmes, Administration and Finance, and Publications.
Physical description note: includes 27 photographs, 3 audio reels, 1 film reel, 15 architectural drawings, and 1 key.
Clanton Park Synagogue was an orthodox synagogue that began as a shteibel in 1955 in the newly built up area of North York. Originally, services were held in homes or rented quarters. In 1957, land was purchased on Lowesmoor Avenue, and in 1961, the synagogue building was dedicated. The congregation, which initially consisted of 20 families, has grown steadily over the years and now has a membership of over 300 families. Sol Edell was one of the founding members of Clanton Park. He was president of the synagogue and served on the Board. He was involved in the purchase of the property and supervised the construction, the renovation and upkeep of the building. As well, he was active in the programmes sponsored by the synagogue such as the Long Life Club, which provided activities for seniors. He attended services on a daily basis and retained his membership until his death in 2000.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, architectural drawings, and films relating to the establishment, construction and renovation of Clanton Park Synagogue. It also includes correspondence, anniversary books, photographs, films and videotapes of various synagogue activities and events including: religious celebrations, social programs, anniversary dinners and rabbinical installations. Also included are synagogue bulletins and membership lists as well as financial and legal records. Finally, series also consists of architectural drawings and textual records documenting Clanton Park's cemetery and Sisterhood.
Physical description note: includes 648 photographs, 16 architectural drawings, 4 slides, 7 audio cassettes, 5 audio reels, 5 film reels, and 4 videocassettes (VHS).
One of Sol Edell’s interests was ensuring the preservation of Jewish cemeteries. He was the president of the Jones Avenue cemetery, a member of the Board of Pardes Shalom and also served as chair of the Cemetery Committee of Clanton Park. He designed the archway at the entrance to Clanton Park's section located in the Roselawn Cemetery. He was also the synagogue’s representative on the Board of Directors of Steeles College Memorial Park.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence relating to the operation of various cemeteries and funeral homes including the Jones Avenue Cemetery, which was established in the late Nineteenth century. Also included is correspondence and financial reports from Steeles College Memorial Park. As well, there is a plot map of the International Workmen's Circle section in the Mount Sinai Cemetery, Bathurst Lawn Cemetery and Jones Avenue Cemetery. Finally, there are photographs of the Pardes Shalom Cemetery and three audio-visual recordings of Jones Avenue Cemetery.
Physical description note: includes 11 photographs, 4 architectural drawings, and 3 videocassettes.
Sol Edell was active in the collection, preservation and exhibition of historical material relating to the history of Canadian Jewry. He was one of the founders and Chair of the Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region / Toronto Jewish Congress Archives (later the Ontario Jewish Archives). Among his achievements were the restoration of the Kiever Synagogue and organizing the showing of the exhibit Journey into Our Heritage. In addition, he was a financial supporter of the Baycrest Museum, the Jewish Historical Society of Canada and a member of the Toronto Jewish Historical Society.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Sol Edell's heritage related activities, particularly his involvement with the Ontario Jewish Archives. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, correspondence, financial and legal records, photographs, flyers, press releases, brochures, administrative records, reports, lists, notes, sound records, architectural drawings, exhibit material, grant applications, invitations, and programmes.
Physical description note: includes 10 photographs, 3 audio cassettes, and 5 architectural drawings.
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region / Toronto Jewish Congress Archives
Toronto Jewish Historical Society
Historical Society of Western Canada
Baycrest Heritage Museum
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Journey into Our Heritage
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
In addition to his ongoing involvement with Clanton Park, the Canadian Jewish Congress Archives, the Aliyah Support Group, Jones Avenue Cemetery, Shomrai Shabbos and Adas Israel, Sol Edell undertook special projects on behalf of a wide array of Jewish organizations. These include cultural (Toronto Cantorial Scholarship Fund), educational (Netivot Hatorah and Yeshivat Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot), religious (Union of Jewish Orthodox Congregations), social welfare (Association of Jewish Seniors and Co-Ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly) and Zionist (Canadian Friends of Yeshivat Hakotel and State of Israel Bonds) organizations.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Sol Edell's involvement with a wide variety of Jewish educational, social and religious organizations and institutions in Canada, the United States, and Israel. Included are meeting minutes, publications, reports, photographs, correspondence, invitations, programmes, financial records, an architectural drawing, and a sound recording. While many of these organizations such as Eitz Chaim, Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot (educational), Mizrachi Organization of Canada, Emunah Women (Zionist) and Beth Jacob V’Anshe Drildz (synagogue) are orthodox, others such as Associated Hebrew Day Schools (educational), State of Israel Bonds (Zionist) and Co-ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly (social welfare) have no religious affiliation.
Physical description note: includes 26 photographs, 1 audio cassette, and 1 architectural drawing.
Max and Celia Hoffman lived in Hamilton with their 2 children, Stephen and Jay. They were members of Adas Israel synagogue and the Beverley Golf and Country Club. The children attended the Hamilton Talmud Torah.
Scope and Content
Series contains correspondence and blueprints relating to the construction of the Hoffman residence. Also included are the Westlake Secondary School yearbook, the school attended by the Hoffman children and a biography of Meyer Hoffman, a relative of Max Hoffman. In addition, there is correspondence relating to the Hoffman family membership in the Beverley Golf and Country Club.
In 1924 the first official Toronto annual Hadassah Bazaar was held at the Masonic Temple at Davenport and Yonge. Over the years, venues changed with increasing demands for space as the popularity of the event grew. These locations included Varsity Stadium (1945-1948), the Automotive Building at the CNE (1949-1999), and currently the CNE’s National Trade Centre (Direct Energy Centre).Toronto pioneered the mammoth volunteer-run bazaar concept and was followed by other cities – Montreal (ca.1932), Vancouver (1951) and a number of smaller communities.
Admission fees were documented from 25 cents in 1934 to $4 in the 1990s.In most instances throughout the years, reduced or free admission was offered to preschoolers and seniors.
The early bazaars sold used clothing, hand sewn articles and home cooked kosher specialties. The 1930s saw the introduction of “carnival elements” such as fortune telling and bingo, and social events that included dinners, floor shows and dancing to the music of well known bands. The “Beautiful Child Photography Contests”, fashion shows, art exhibits, and the Hadassah Exposition and Bazaar Cooking Schools were inaugurated during the same decade.
During the Second World War, the Red Cross and war efforts were incorporated into bazaar activities. In the 1950s auctions were introduced.1963 saw the first Eilat Lighthouse – a colossal advertising pyramid. From the 1970s to the 1990s, new features such as clothes boutiques, mini-stores, and disco contests appeared.
Proceeds from the fairs and bazaars from the Bazaar’s inception until recent years rose exponentially from a thousand or so dollars to hundreds of thousands. These funds have generally been directed to medical and welfare services for needy women and children in Israel. From 1939-45, some of the monies were directed to war projects in Palestine, England, and Egypt. Recent beneficiaries include Asaf Harofe Rehabilitation Hospital, Nahalal (a co-educational secondary school focusing on farming technology), and medical research at the Hebrew University.
Enthusiastic crowds of up to 60,000 continue to line up at 6 am on the last Wednesday of October every year. The City of Toronto has recognized the Bazaar since 1989 with it’s proclamation of “Hadassah – Wizo Bazaar Day”.
From modest beginnings, Toronto’s Hadassah Bazaar has evolved into what is billed as the “largest one day bazaar in the world”.
The 84th was the last bazaar held in October 2008.
Scope and Content
The series consists of records in the form of textual documents, photographs, posters, scrapbooks and audio- visual recordings that document the history of the Toronto Hadassah Bazaar from 1924-2006.These include activities such as social events, meetings, rallies, as well as records including press clippings, memorabilia, correspondence, and financial reports.
028 - [Unidentified], Ella Fleischmann, [Unidentified], Israel Booth at Hadassah Bazaar, Exhibition Place, Toronto, Ontario [ca. 1965].
Physical description note: Includes 2472 photographs, 3 posters, 2 audio recordings, 4 video recordings, 2 artifacts, and 8 scrapbooks.
The textual records are aranged in chronological order and then by activity such as planning, correspondence and publicity.