Clanton Park Synagogue was an orthodox synagogue that began as a shteibel in 1955 in the newly built up area of North York. Originally, services were held in homes or rented quarters. In 1957, land was purchased on Lowesmoor Avenue, and in 1961, the synagogue building was dedicated. The congregation, which initially consisted of 20 families, has grown steadily over the years and now has a membership of over 300 families. Sol Edell was one of the founding members of Clanton Park. He was president of the synagogue and served on the Board. He was involved in the purchase of the property and supervised the construction, the renovation and upkeep of the building. As well, he was active in the programmes sponsored by the synagogue such as the Long Life Club, which provided activities for seniors. He attended services on a daily basis and retained his membership until his death in 2000.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, architectural drawings, and films relating to the establishment, construction and renovation of Clanton Park Synagogue. It also includes correspondence, anniversary books, photographs, films and videotapes of various synagogue activities and events including: religious celebrations, social programs, anniversary dinners and rabbinical installations. Also included are synagogue bulletins and membership lists as well as financial and legal records. Finally, series also consists of architectural drawings and textual records documenting Clanton Park's cemetery and Sisterhood.
Physical description note: includes 648 photographs, 16 architectural drawings, 4 slides, 7 audio cassettes, 5 audio reels, 5 film reels, and 4 videocassettes (VHS).
11 technical drawings : 73 x 90 cm or smaller and other material
Bregman and Hamann was the architectural firm which was hired to design Clanton Park synagogue.
Scope and Content
File consists of records documenting the construction of Clanton Park Synagogue. Included is the contract between the architects and Clanton Park, correspondence, floor plans, plot plans, elevation drawings, and detail drawings. Also included are slides with architectural renderings of the Synagogue's reception hall and two drawings of a goblet and a crown. Finally, file consists of one 16 mm film reel featuring scenes of the Synagogue's construction.
Physical description note: includes 1 folder of textual records, 2 drawings, 4 slides, and 1 film reel (ca. 3 min.).
File consists of records documenting the Bar Mitzvah anniversary celebration in honour of Rabbi Kerzner. Included is an invitation, a programme, a tribute poem, a congratulatory telegram, and audio visual recordings of the event. Also included are photographs of speakers, the head table, and guests at their tables.
Includes 93 photographs (57 negatives), 2 videocassettes, and 2 audio cassettes.