Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
307 records – page 1 of 7.
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Political Career series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 92; Series 3; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Political Career series
Level
File
Fonds
92
Series
3
File
3
Material Format
object
Date
1935
Physical Description
1 pin : 3 cm in diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of one campaign pin documenting J.B. Salsberg's failed bid in the Spadina Riding during the 1935 federal election. Writing on the pin states, "Make the Rich Pay / Elect J.B. Salsberg / Spadina Riding".
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2007-6-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-7
Material Format
object
Physical Description
17 pins
Date
[19--]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 17 pins, 9 of which have been identified. The pins that have been identified are as follows; four Order of Foresters pins, two Order of the Moose pins, a Pride of Israel Sick Benefit Society pin, a Canadian Medical Association/Ontario Medical Association pin and a Zion Magen David pin.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-7-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-7-6
Material Format
object
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 poster
3 cm of textual records
Artifacts
Date
1928-[ca. 1944]
Scope and Content
This accession includes a Standard Theatre poster for the play "Sheindele from Slabodke", staring Mischa and Lucy German (1928). This production was also known as "Papirosn-makherin (Cigarette Maker)," and "Reizele from Slabodke," and was staged in 1927 in the Hopkinson Theatre, then in Philadelphia with Clara Young, Lucy German and Vera Rosanka. (Source: http://www.museumoffamilyhistory.com/yt/lex/R/rosenberg-israel-II.htm) Also included are pages from a scrapbook with Jewish Standard editorial writings from the 1930s by Hye Bossin. Topics include life on Spadina Avenue and in Kensinton Market, Yiddish entertainers, Emma Goldman's visit to Toronto, Caplan's Cafe, athletes and the Toronto islands. As well, there is a metal plate for F.B. Harris, circa 1944, with an inscription on it in memory of Sgt. F.B. Harris who "died in his country's service 6 June, 1944".
Subjects
Newspapers
Theatrical posters, Yiddish
Name Access
Bossin, Hye
Goldman, Emma, 1869-1940
Harris, Fred. B.
Standard Theatre (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Kensington Market (Toronto, Ont.)
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Maurice Berg fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 41; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Maurice Berg fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
41
Item
1
Material Format
object
Date
1954
Physical Description
1 trophy : silver and brass, mounted on black plastic ; 15 x 15 cm circumference
Admin History/Bio
Ajalon Lodge was originally established in 1927 as a Young Judaea Club. In September 1935, it officially became a Lodge of the Zionist Order Habonim. The Lodge was very involved in raising money for Israel (mostly through the UJA), promoting Zionism, and recruiting new members for the Zionist Organization of Canada. Many members fought in the Second World War. The wives of some of the members formed the Ajalon Ladies Auxiliary in 1944. Maurice Berg became a member of Ajalon Lodge in January, 1933.
Scope and Content
Item is an Ajalon Lodge award given to Maurice Berg in 1954. The award consists of a silver cup with two handles mounted on a black plastic stand. A gold plaque is mounted on the stand with a description of the award which reads: "Ajalon Award 25th Anniversary 1954 Maurice Berg".
Notes
Artifact #291.
Subjects
Awards
Physical Condition
In poor condition.
Tarnished and scratched.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ajalon Lodge fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 72
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ajalon Lodge fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
72
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1929-1986
Physical Description
ca. 1.25 metres of textual records
ca. 15 scrapbooks
ca. 20 objects
Admin History/Bio
The Ajalon Lodge was first organized on 10 March 1929 as the Ajalon Club of Young Judaea. The founding members were Abe Bohnen, Hyman Cohen, Isaac Gringorten, George (Hamell) Himmelstein and Lou Hochman. The group met at the Zionist Institute at 206 Beverley Street in Toronto. The name was selected by Abe Bohnen and Mark Zimmerman, the Young Judaea supervisor, from a map of Palestine which hung in the Young Judaea library.
The first leader of the club was Morris Kertzer followed by Al Zimmerman. In 1930 the lodge began to record its activities in scrapbooks, which it later named the Ajalon Archives. The archivists over the years included Max Schwadron, Ben Marks, Myer Bromberg and Willie Zimmerman.
The club was actively involved in Young Judaea literary, social and fundraising activities. In 1935, the club graduated from the Young Judaea movement and become a lodge of the Zionist Order Habonim. By 1939 however, the Ajalon, Balfour, Bialik and Jaffa lodges merged into the Toronto Habonim Lodge due the waning membership as many men went off to war. After the war, the four lodges returned to their original state. In 1940, the lodge acquired club rooms on the third floor of the Zionist Building and in 1944 several wives of lodge members organized the Ajalon Ladies Auxiliary. By 1953, Habonim became the Zionist Men’s Association of Canada, an affiliate organization of the Zionist Organization of Canada and by the 1960s, Ajalon Lodge became directly affiliated with ZOC. Over the course of its existence membership in the lodge has been between 40 and 90 members.
Ajalon Lodge participated in many fundraising campaigns for Jewish organizations in Toronto, such as the Jewish National Fund and the United Palestine Appeal. Many of its members also served on the Board of Directors for organizations such as the Toronto Zionist Council and Young Judaea. The lodge was involved in several fundraising initiatives, including the establishment of a kindergarten in Ashkelon, Israel in 1972. In later years the Ajalon Lodge was affiliated with the Zionist Organization of Canada.
Custodial History
The records were in the custody of both Willie Zimmerman and Meyer Bromberg before they were donated to the Archives in 1984, 1988 and 1994.
Scope and Content
This fonds primarily consists of the records collected and created by the Ajalon Archives Committee, under the direction of Max Schwadron, Ben Marks, Myer Bromberg and Willie Zimmerman. The archives are organized into scrapbooks by year and relate first to activities of Ajalon Club as a chapter of Young Judaea and then to Ajalon Lodge as a chapter of the Zionist Order Habonim. Later scrapbooks represent the lodge’s activities as part of the broader Zionist network affiliated with the Zionist Organization of Canada. The scrapbooks consist of photographs, event invitations, pamphlets and flyers, correspondence, editorial writings, newsletters, newsclippings, meeting minutes, activity reports and ephemera. They begin in 1929 and run to 1983.
Also included in the fonds are the meeting minutes, financial reports and general correspondence files of the lodge, as well as several artifacts collected by Meyer Bromberg while he was the acting archivist.
Name Access
Ajalon Lodge (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Zionism
Physical Condition
Some of the early scrapbooks are in poor condition. The pages are brittle and are crumbling along the edges. As well, the scrapbooks require tissue-paper linings between the pages to separate the various media contained within and to prevent any further degredation, particularly of the photographs. Many of the photos in the later scrapbooks require rehousing in acid-free melanex.
Related Material
Related material can be found in the Zionist Organization of Canada fonds 28, the Meyer Bromberg fonds, the Maurice Berg fonds and the Willie Zimmerman fonds 41.
Creator
Ajalon Lodge (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1984-11-2
1988-6-5
1994-10-3
2005-4-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2012-7-24
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-24
Material Format
textual record
object
graphic material
Physical Description
12 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1942-2005, predominant 1942-1955
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities of Albert Edelstein and his family. The bulk of the records document Albert's involvement in the Habonim-Dror labour Zionist youth movement. Included are Habonim concert programmes, correspondence, notes, flyers, and newsletters as well as notes and correspondence documenting the activities and operation of Camp Kvutza. Also included are photographs, invitations and guest lists to the Habonim reunion in Toronto (1983), a CD containing information related to the 75th anniversary of the Habonim movement, and a newspaper clipping, notes, and a badge related to Camp Gesher. Accession also contains a brochure, a broadside, and event programme books of the Jewish Farband Folk Schools, and a Bureau of Jewish Education brochure. In addition, there are I.L.G.W.U. membership dues cards belonging to Ida Edelstein, issues of the Labour Zionist publications Farband Chaver (1943) and Insight (1984), and fundraising material related to the Israel Histadrut Campaign. There are also programmes, flyers and brochures of various Jewish organizations including, Hadassah, UJWF, United Jewish People's Order, YM-YWHA, Hashomer Hatzair, and the State of Israel Bonds. Finally accession consists of Second World War Victory Bonds receipt and brochure, a Monteith Inn (Shopsowitz) dance dinner menu, and a Zionist Youth Committee of Toronto flyer for a march in support of the Jews suffering through the Holocaust in Europe.
Custodial History
Material was in the possession of Albert Edelstein until its donation in 2012.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 87 photographs (17 negatives), 1 badge, and 1 CD.
Language note: records are in English and Yiddish.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-7-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-7-10
Material Format
object
Physical Description
3 artifacts
Date
1915-1940
Scope and Content
Accession consists of several artifacts. The main item is a Singer sewing machine which was manufactured in 1915. It was used by the donor's father, Isaac Edelstein, when he worked as a tailor for Tip Top Tailors during the 1920s. He scratched his name and the date, 1923, into the machine. The other two items are sewing shears that were used by Isaac Edelstein and his wife Ida. She also worked in the garment industry at that time.
Custodial History
In 2003 the donor, Albert Edelstein, received a call from an individual who found the sewing machine in his father's basement after he passed away. He saw that it was inscribed with the name I. Edelstein and tried to locate a family member by calling individuals with that surname in the city telephone book.
Use Conditions
Must credit Isaac Edelstein when displaying objects.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Political Career series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 92; Series 3; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Political Career series
Level
Item
Fonds
92
Series
3
Item
1
Material Format
object
Date
1938
Physical Description
1 pin : metal and ribbon, red and gold ; 9 cm in length
Scope and Content
Item is an Alderman CNE pin.
Notes
artifact number 149
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
2
Material Format
object
Date
[between 1912 and 1932]
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2007-7-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-7-1
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
object
Physical Description
20 photographs : b&w
2 folders of textual records
2 badges
Date
1943-1945
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual and graphic materials documenting Alex Pancer's military career during the Second World War, both in Canada and overseas. The images depict Pancer in military dress, portraits of his Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Mobile Field Photographic Section and fellow servicemen, German soldiers, photo images created by Pancer as keepsakes or postcards, and a few reconnaissance photographs. The textual documents include postcards, an RCAF newspaper, Pancer's autograph book and loose sheets containing the names and contact information of fellow servicemen, RCAF correspondence including Pancer's record of birth, last will and testament, life insurance documentation and certificate of education, train berthing and identity cards, a meal ticket, and Pancer's discharge papers. The accession also includes two sew-on jacket badges.
Custodial History
The records were in the custody of Alex Pancer's son, Jeff, until they were donated to the Archives on 2007-07-09.
Administrative History
Alex Pancer (1923-2001) was born in Toronto in 1923. He enlisted in the Royal Canadian Airforce in 1942 at the age of 19 and joined the photo reconnaissance unit. He saw combat in France, Germany and Holland. He married Bella Pancer in 1959, and had two sons, Jeff (b. 1960) and Daryl (b. 1963).
Subjects
Canada--Armed Forces
World War, 1939-1945
Name Access
Pancer, Alex, 1923-2001
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-12-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-12-6
Material Format
graphic material
object
Physical Description
6 photographs : b&w (3 negatives) ; 20 x 25 cm
Artifacts
Date
1929-1991
Scope and Content
Accession consists of several artifacts including: Life member for Baycrest plaque awarded to Allan Grossman, 1981; American Israel Numismatic Association plaque awarded to Allan Grossman, November 1972; Minister of Revenue framed golden seal, ca. 1970s; Jewish Immigrant Aid Services of Canada Award of Service plaque presented to Allan Grossman; Quinte Regional Detention Center plaque presented to Allan Grossman, 1971; B'nai Brith Convention guest badge, 1-4 June 1969; Grey Cup badge,1980; Jigsaw puzzles from the Allan Grossman Campaign; Federal-Provincial Conference of First Ministers delegate badge, 15-17 November 1991; Yellow and blue Davis sign; Yellow and blue Davis hats; Yellow and blue Davis jackets; plaque commemorating the new bridge in Toronto opened December 23, 1953; plaque commemorating 1956 visit with the Pope, 25 April 1956; Framed certificate given to Allan Grossman on his 70th Birthday from the Premier of Ontario, 4 March 1974; Harold King Farm plaque given to Allan Grossman; shovel from the Ground Breaking ceremony of the new Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, 30 June 1983; B'nai Brith Distinguished Citizen Award plaque given to Allan Grossman, 3 March 1974; Small plaque from Premier William Davis honouring Allan Grossman, 1972; Memorial Groves plaque.
Photographs include a collage of portraits of members (including Allan Grossman) of the Toronto Boy Municipal Council 1929, and a photo of William McIntyre, acting clerk of the Executive Council, administering the oath of office to Allan Grossman, Minister Without Portfolio, at the Ontario Parliament on November 21, 1960. Also picured are Leslie Frost and Keiller McKay. A third photograph was taken at a visit in 1965 to the Ontario Legislature with ohn Robarts, Premier of Ontario, and Menachem Begin of Israel.
Name Access
Grossman, Allan, 1910-1991
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1990-4-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1990-4-3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
1 m of textual records and graphic material
1 badge : felt and metal, blue, silver and white ; 10.5 x 10.5 cm
1 pin : metal, white, blue and gold ; 1 cm.
Date
[ca. 1922]-[194-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records and graphic material documenting the life and career of Allan Grossman. Also included is a Jewish Boys in Training Crest of Merit badge (ca. 1922-1924), a white felt badge with a blue Magen David in the middle and in the four corners with metal plates attached to the material, each one with a different symbol, and an Ostrovtzer Independent Mutual Benefit Society pin (ca. 1940s).
Subjects
Politicians
Name Access
Grossman, Allan, 1910-1991
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-85
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-85
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 passport case
Date
[ca. 1910]-1942
Scope and Content
This accession consists of the Canadian naturalization papers and passports (Russian) of Morris and Mary Rose and a record relating to Gurofsky's Steamship Agency.The passports are housed in a cloth protective case provided by the steamship company F.Missler of Bremen, Germany.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-6-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-6-6
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
2 pins
Date
[194-]-1990
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a group photograph of the members of the Independent Women's Society, a membership list for the Borochov chapter of Na'amat, two Pioneer Women pins, and a grade 3 report card for Stanley Wilder from Shirley Street Public School. Identified in the photograph is Bella Wilder (bottom row, right); Rose Silver (middle row, first on left); Fanny Goldbach (middle row, second from left); Elsie Sautzman (middle row, seventh from left); Molly Guzy (back row, seventh from left).
Administrative History
Bella (nee Goldbach) Wilder (1910-2002) was born on May 12, 1910 in Opatow, Poland to Chaim Shlomo Goldbach and Shifra Frimeth Schatz Goldbach. Bella's older brothers, Victor, Jack and Hymie began immigrating to Toronto in the 1920s and had saved enough money by 1936 to bring Bella and her mother to Toronto. After arriving in Toronto Bella found work sewing in a factory.
Bella married Max Wilder (1909-1999) on September 29, 1939. Max worked at Superior Men's Tailoring where he sewed zippers into men's pants. They had two children together: Ann (born 5 April 1940, married Norman Sharpe) and Stan (born 21 Jan. 1945, died June 1974). Max passed away in 1999 and Bella passed away in 2002.
Bella was a member of the Independent Women's Society, which was a group of Polish women who were wives of members of the Farband. They eventually became the Borochov chapter of the Pioneer Women, later Na'amat.
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Descriptive Notes
USE CONDITIONS NOTE: Membership list is closed. Report card is open.
Name Access
Wilder, Bella, 1910-2002
Wilder, Max, 1909-1999
Wilder, Stanley, 1945-1974
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-2
Material Format
object
Physical Description
2 tallisot
Date
[ca. 1945]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of 2 Tallisot previously owned by the Machzikei B'nai Israel Synaogogue, formerly located at 279 Dovercourt Rd. at Dundas St. West. Each tallis bears a stamp from the synagogue.
Custodial History
The tallisot were used by Ann's [father-in-law?], Nathan Sharpe, who was a founding member of the synagogue.
Administrative History
The Machzikei B'nai Israel Synagogue was first located in a store on Ossington Avenue in the early 1930s. In 1933 they purchased and incorporated a cemetery located on McCowan Road at Eglinton Avenue. In 1935, the congregation moved into the basement of 279 Dovercourt Road and gradually renovated the rest of the building to completion by 1950. In the 1970s, the synaoguge had 93 member families, but dwindling membership in the 1980s forced the Synagogue to close and merge with Shaarei Shomayim.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-3
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
object
Physical Description
8 photographs : b&w ; 17 x 12 cm or smaller and other material
Date
[ca. 1940] - 1945
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting Aron Racko's experience serving in the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War. Included are photographs of Aron with bandages and cast after his propellor accident and others taken while he was stationed in British Columbia. Also included is one military general service pin and two military volunteer service medals. Finally, accession includes one letter from a Jewish Chaplain, Isaac Rose, to Aron's mother and photocopies of Aron's discharge papers.
Administrative History
Aron Sidney Racko was born in Ontario in 1922 and grew up in Toronto. He joined the Royal Canadian Air Force in December 1939 as an airplane mechanic. In 1942 he was wounded in a possible antisemitic incident after someone turned on the propellar in an airplane he was servicing in Trenton, ON. As a result, Aron never went overseas.
After the war, Aron initially worked as a taxi cab driver, but soon took up construction work building houses and later entered the real estate industry as a broker. He was a member of the Forest Hill Lions Club. Racko passed away in May 2010.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 1 folder of textual records, 2 medals, and 1 pin.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
13
Material Format
object
Date
[ca. 1950]
Physical Description
1 item
Subjects
Business
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
15
Material Format
object
Date
1982
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
B'nai Brith Lodge No. 1154 fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 91; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
B'nai Brith Lodge No. 1154 fonds
Level
File
Fonds
91
File
2
Material Format
object
Date
[ca. 1965]
Physical Description
2 banners : 161 x 98 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of one felt lodge banner that is attached to a wooden pole and one banner of the Association of the Well-being of Israeli Soldiers (Aguda L'man Hachayal) that has an accompanying metal stand.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Jewish communal series
Keren Hayesod sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 9-4; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Jewish communal series
Keren Hayesod sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
9-4
File
2
Material Format
object
Date
1970
Physical Description
1 coin : brass ; 5 cm in diam.
Admin History/Bio
Keren Hayesod is the central fundraising organization for the State of Israel. It operates in Canada under the name United Israel Appeal.
Scope and Content
File consists of one brass coin given to Givens' as a memento of his visit to Israel as part of the Keren Hayesod Toronto Top Leadership Study Mission in 1970. The coin has a raised emblem on one side and an engraving of Jerusalem on the other side.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2009-6-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2009-6-7
Material Format
architectural drawing (electronic)
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings (pdf)
Date
[1992?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of five pdf files of architectural drawings for the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre. Three files show the floorplans for the 3 floors of the Centre, and two files show the renovations to the building.
Custodial History
The original plans are in the possession of Makrimichalos Cugini Architects.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
14
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1917-2011
Physical Description
2.82 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
As early as 1916 the Ezras Noshem Society (a mutual benefit society for Jewish women) started to raise funds to purchase and renovate what would become The Toronto Jewish Old Folks' Home (Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care’s forerunner) after its members recognized the need for a home in Toronto where the Jewish elderly could receive kosher meals and communicate with staff in their own language. Property at 31 Cecil Street was purchased in 1917 and sometime between September 1918 and January 1920 the Home officially opened there. The Home was run by a small staff and the women of Ezras Noshem who volunteered their time to make beds, cook kosher meals, do laundry and sponsor fundraising events. By 1938 the Home had expanded into its neighboring houses at 29, 33, and 35 Cecil Street and was caring for 115 residents. It provided residents with synagogue services, a hospital ward and social activities. At this time the Home also became a member of the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
In 1946, the need for a larger and more modern building prompted a fundraising campaign, which was headed by Abe Posluns, to purchase and build a new facility. In December 1954, the new building opened at 3650 Bathurst Street and consisted of two new institutions: The Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital. This location continued to expand over the years, including a new building for residents in 1968, an apartment building for seniors called the Baycrest Terrace in 1976, and a community centre known as The Joseph E. and Minnie Wagman Centre in 1977. These additions enabled Baycrest to expand its programs to include a day care program, recreational programs, and a Sheltered Workshop which was run in cooperation with the Jewish Vocational Service and provided residents with employment. In 1986 a new Baycrest Hospital was erected, and in 1989, the Rotman Research Institute, which is also affiliated with the University of Toronto, opened to create a research facility where top researchers could study and find new treatment methods for the elderly.
In recent years, Baycrest’s services and programs have continued to expand. In 2000, the Apotex Centre, the Jewish Home for the Aged and the Louis and Leah Posluns Centre for Stroke and Cognition opened to help residents with progressive dementia caused by vascular disorders. In 2001 a condominium building opened at 2 Neptune Drive for seniors, and in 2003 the Sam and Ida Ross Memory Clinic was established to provide out-patient services for seniors with memory disorders. Baycrest Centre also provides numerous cultural and religious programs for the inhabitants and the greater community, including a heritage museum, art exhibits and a Holocaust program.
Custodial History
Records were donated to the OJA in a series of accessions from a variety of sources, including the Baycrest Women's Auxiliary and the Multicultural Historical Society of Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the history, governance, and activities of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, photographs, artifacts, constitutions, publications, press releases, financial records, event invitations, programs, a scrapbook, a poster, lists, theatrical scripts, newspaper clippings, brochures and booklets, flyers, a land deed, certificates, schedules, annual calendars, cards, questionnaires, and lists.
Fonds is arranged into eleven series: 1. Board of Directors and Executive Committee; 2. Annual General Meetings and Annual Reports; 3. Committees and meetings; 4. Women's Auxiliary; 5. Men's Service Group; 6. Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home; 7. Programs and services; 8. Religious services; 9. Fundraising; 10. Publications and publicity; and, 11. Events. Records are described to the file level with some item level descriptions.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 1102 photographs, 4 coins, 2 posters, 1 badge, 1 pin, 1 key chain, 1 postcard, and 1 pen.
Associated material note: related material at Library and Archives Canada includes a small Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds, and the Eric Exton fonds. For architectural records see the Irving D. Boigon fonds 243 at the City of Toronto Archives (Boigon was an architect who designed many of Baycrest's buildings between the 1970s and 1990s). Contact Baycrest Centre's Heritage Museum for committee records from the 1930s, and consult Baycrest's website to access electronic copies of current issues of Baycrest's publications.
Name Access
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care
Baycrest Hospital
Ezras Noshem Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Hospitals
Old age homes
Related Material
See Gordon Mendly Fonds 18, series 3-4; Jewish Vocational Services of Toronto fonds 75; United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds 67; accession # 2009-6-2; Dora Till Fonds 52; J. Irving Oelbaum Fonds 24; Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds 61, series 1-1; Gilbert Studios fonds 37; Ben Kayfetz fonds 62, series 3, file 3; JFWB fonds 87, series 6, files 5 and 6; JIAS fonds 9, series 7, file 1; Harold S. Kaplan fonds 27, series 1-4, and Morris Norman fonds 22.
Creator
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, 1917-
Accession Number
1982-11-1
1983-11-2
1988-2-7
1979-9-17
1979-9-23
1987-9-7
2004-5-50
MG 2 O 1A
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Women's Auxiliary series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 52; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Women's Auxiliary series
Level
Series
Fonds
52
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1951-1986
Physical Description
62 cm of textual records
10 photographs
2 objects
Admin History/Bio
The Women's Auxiliary of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care was established in 1955 as a fund-raising arm of the Baycrest Centre as well as a provider of services to the residents and patients. Some of its activities included running the volunteer service, the beauty salon, the gift shop, theatre nights, religious and festival programming and fundraising projects.
Dora Till was the founding president of the Women's Auxiliary from 1955 to 1959. She remained active on the Executive Committee well into the 1980s. Dora was honoured several times by the Women's Auxiliary, including at a tribute dinner in 1983 and in 1984 when an entire floor of Baycrest was named in her honour.
Scope and Content
This series consists of records documenting the activities of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Women's Auxiliary. The records include minutes, reports, speeches, correspondence, financial records, invitations, brochures and pamphlets, photographs and artifacts.
The records have been arranged into six sub-series: Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Sub-Committees, Finance and Accounting, Programming and Services, Events, and Press and Publicity.The records have been described to the file level and a selection of photographs have been scanned and described at the item level.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
17
Material Format
object
Date
1912
Physical Description
1 item
Subjects
Hockey
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2009-11-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2009-11-2
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 artifact
3 posters ; 68 x 45 cm or smaller
Date
1950-1999
Scope and Content
Accession consists of an Ashkenaz Festival of New Yiddish Culture poster (1999), a Young Men's Mutual Benefit Society & Congregation poster (1986), a Sense of Spadina walking tour 10th anniversary poster, and a delegate ribbon for the Jewish Labor Committee National Conference held December 1-3, 1950.
Name Access
Katz, Bernard
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-2
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 artifact
Date
[193-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one artifact, a wooden hanger, from B. Feldman Clothing company.
Administrative History
Ben Feldman had a boys and mens clothing and tailoring store [B. Feldman Clothing] on 519 Queen St. W as early as 1931. He and his wife Mary lived in the same building.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 23
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
23
Material Format
object
Date
1958
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 24
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
24
Material Format
object
Date
[nd]
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2010-8-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 window : glass, wood ; 66 x 66 cm
Date
[1955?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one stained glass synagogue window. The wooden-framed window features a blue Star of David on a yellow background. The window was likely created when the building was extensively renovated in 1955. It is possible, however, that it was created for the 1924 building and was retained after the 1955 renovations.
Custodial History
Sidney Holtzkener, the donor's husband, was a house chairman and volunteered to take the window. The window was displayed in the donor's home until the couple moved in 2009.
Administrative History
The London Jewish community had a single congregation until disagreements led to Moses Leff organizing an alternative minyan. This became Congregation B'nai Moses Ben Judah, named after Moses Pollock. Their first synagogue building, a remodelled wooden church, opened in 1907. This building was supplanted by a new and enlarged structure in 1924. The building was renovated and enlarged again in 1955, but did retain some elements of the old structure. In 1966 B'nai Moses Ben Judah almagamated with B'nai Israel, and consequently Congregation Or Shalom was created. The B'nai Israel building was chosen to house the new congregation and the the B'nai Moses building was sold to the Roman Catholic Diocese. Accordingly, its stained glass windows were removed. Edward's Glass Company Limited held on to the windows and later contacted the Holtzkeners to give them one. The Holtzkeners were members of B'nai Moses and later Congregation Or Sholom from at least 1944 until they moved to Toronto in 2009.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: see MG 3 B-7 for further Congregation Or Shalom records
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Cowan family fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 102; File 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Cowan family fonds
Level
File
Fonds
102
File
10
Material Format
textual record
object
Date
1968-1976
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 crest ; 18 x 16 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of addresses delivered by Saul Cown at graduation ceremonies at Bathurst Heights Secondary School and Sir Sanford Fleming Seconary School, a Participation Diploma from Yorkdale Secondary School granted to Saul Cowan in 1976, and a felt crest from Bathurst Heights Secondary School.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2006-4/5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-4/5
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 arm band: linen and cotton; 10 x 20 cm
Date
[between 1922 to 1945]
Scope and Content
The item is a Nazi Youth armband that was likely worn by a member of the older youth group, who were 15 to 18 years of age. The item is constructed of red linen with a white and black cotton insert running across it in the shape of a stripe and swastika.
Custodial History
The item was given to Hesh Troper to pass on to us.
Administrative History
The Hitler Youth or Jugend was formed in 1922 as the Jungsturm Adolf Hitler. They were disbanded in 1923 and re-established in 1926. By 1933, the movement developed to include both girls and boys ranging in age from 10 to 18 years of age. The movement served as a training ground for future aryan supermen and women, teaching them to be future soldiers for the Third Reich. By 1939, the Hitler Youth became mandatory for all children in Germany within the designated age range. As a result, every German youngster was forced to purchase a uniform and serve in the youth movement regardless of the parents wishes.
The members of the movement wore paramilitary uniforms similar to those of the Nazi party. The uniforms included badges, accessories and knives. The uniforms varied between the girls and the boys and the younger and older groups. At the time, the uniforms were very popular with the children and many were proud to wear them in public
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Brenda Richards fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 26
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Brenda Richards fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
26
Material Format
graphic material
object
textual record
Date
1965-1980
Physical Description
37 photographs and other material
Admin History/Bio
Brenda Richards was born in Toronto, attended Ryerson Public School and Harbord Collegiate, and then enrolled in Central Technical School to study commercial art. Brenda was later employed as an art teacher at Humewoood Public School and continued teaching and assisting until she retired at age 60. Her husband Alfred or "Alf" managed a George Richards men’s clothing store.
Following the death of their 21 year old son, the Richards wished to assist other young men and became involved in the Scouting movement. They became the leaders of the 159th 'B' Cub Pack, which met at Shaarei Shomayim Synagogue in Toronto on Wednesday evenings. In the terminology of Scouting, using characters from Rudyard Kipling’s “Jungle Book’, Alfred, the Cubmaster, was known as “Akela” and Brenda, the Assistant Cubmaster was “ Baloo” (the Bear). At its peak, the Cub pack had approximately 36 members but dissolved in 1970. During Brenda’s career in the Cub movement, she was awarded several “Good Service” medals by the Scouting Council of Canada.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of personal records and artifacts accumulated by Brenda Richards during her service as Assistant Cubmaster of the 159th 'B' Toronto Cub Pack. These include Cub and Cub leader regalia and memorabilia, a collection of photographs of the Cub pack and two scrapbooks documenting their activities. The scrapbooks include photographs, poems and other writings by cub members, news clippings and lists of badges earned by various cubs. Also of note are 4 original drawings by Richards.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 1 folder of textual records, 2 scrapbooks, 4 drawings, 6 badges, 5 pins, 2 medals, 1 whistle, and 1 woggle.
Fonds is part of the Ontario Jewish Archives' project to acquire material created by the 159th Cub Pack, which was a Jewish troop. The project also includes an oral history interview with Brenda Richards conducted by Martin Wolfish.
Name Access
Richards, Alfred
Richards, Brenda
Shaarei Shomayim Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Creator
Richards, Brenda
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
2003-5-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 28
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
28
Material Format
object
Date
[195-?]
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
1981-1-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-1-9
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 button : metal ; 3 cm in diam.
Date
[19--]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a button featuring a religious scene. A bearded man is standing with his arms outstretched and an individual is kneeling before him. This is possibly a scene from the Book of Esther (Purim). Surrounding the image is either Hebrew or Yiddish text.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Controller series
Campaign sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 51; Series 3-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Controller series
Campaign sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
51
Series
3-1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1960-1962
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 photograph : b&w ; 26 x 20 cm
2 rulers
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of signs, rulers, campaign brochures, correspondence, and photographs documenting Phil Givens' two successful campaigns for election as Controller for the City of Toronto in 1960 and 1962.
Notes
Photographers and photography studios are identified on the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Mayor series
Campaign sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 51; Series 4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Mayor series
Campaign sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
51
Series
4-1
Material Format
textual record
object
graphic material
Date
1964-1966
Physical Description
2 cm of textual records
1 photograph : b&w
3 objects
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of textual records, graphic material and objects that document Phil Givens' two campaigns for mayor in 1964 and 1966. Included is campaign literature, correspondence, campaign platforms, memos, newsclippings, photographs, bottle caps, and one ruler.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Provincial politics series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 6; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Provincial politics series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
6
File
1
Material Format
textual record
object
Date
1971
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 bag : plastic, col. ; 41 x 37 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of textual records and objects documenting Phil Givens' campaign in the York-Forest Hill electoral district. Included are campaign flyers, postcards, paper buttons, posters, a white, black, and red "Vote Givens" plastic bag, and lists of election workers, volunteers, and memberships of various local Provincial Liberal Associations.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
National politics series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 7; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
National politics series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
7
File
1
Material Format
textual record
object
Date
1957
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 campaign pin : metal, white and red ; 5 cm in diam.
1 campaign bottle top : plastic, yellow ; 3 cm in diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of textual records and objects documenting Phil Givens' failed bid for the Toronto Spadina riding. Included are two campaign flyers, an "I'm Voting Givens" campaign pin, and a plastic campaign bottle top.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Jewish community involvement series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 92; Series 4; Item 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Jewish community involvement series
Level
Item
Fonds
92
Series
4
Item
4
Material Format
object
Date
[198-?]
Physical Description
1 pin : 2 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a pin of the Canadian flag and Israel flag crossing over one another.
Notes
Artifact number 155.
Subjects
Flags--Canada
Flags--Israel
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Toronto Hadassah-WIZO fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 71
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Toronto Hadassah-WIZO fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
71
Material Format
object
Date
[1982]
Physical Description
1 button ; 75 mm in diameter
Scope and Content
Item is a large red and white button with the CHW logo, a happy face and the words "Happiness is Helping!" in white lettering. A sticker on the back of the button says "Convention '82."
Creator
Canadian Hadassah-WIZO
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 29
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
29
Material Format
object
Date
[ca. 1952]
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 30
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
30
Material Format
object
Date
1975
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
1985-5-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-5-6
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 badge
Date
1900-1950
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records created and collected by the Canadian Hebrew Benevolent Society. Included are an immigrant's letter book in Yiddish and English and a member badge for the Canadian Hebrew Benevolent Society
Administrative History
The Canadian Hebrew Benevolent Society was a fraternal organization, founded in 1913, whose primary objective was the provision of aid to the Jewish community
MG_RG
MG 20 B 1N
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1995-5-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1995-5-2
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 pin
Date
[ca. 1940]-[ca. 1945]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a lapel pin worn by persons who had close relatives serving in the military during the Second World War.The maple leaf shaped pin is inscribed with " Canadian Jewish Congress Next of Kin League" and "On Active Service".
Administrative History
Rabbi Monson and Mrs.Sadie Danson originated the idea of producing the pins. This one belonged to Min Rosenfeld.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Mayor series
Certificates and awards sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 4-7; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Mayor series
Certificates and awards sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
4-7
File
3
Material Format
object
Date
1964-1966
Physical Description
3 medals : sterling silver and gold, rectangular ; 6.5 x 4 cm
3 stands : gold ; 9 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of three medals (with ornamental stands) awarded to Mayor Phil Givens for participating as a guest speaker at the CNE. On one side of all medals is the inscription awarding Givens the medal, and on the opposite side of each medal is the image of a different person. The individuals captured on the medals include: Lester B. Pearson, Lord Thomson of Fleet and the Lieutenant Governor of Canada, W. Earl Rowe.
Physical Condition
One medal is tarnished, but in fair condition.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 104; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Level
File
Fonds
104
File
7
Material Format
textual record
object
Date
[ca. 1893]-1945
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 objects
Scope and Content
File consists of a correspondence between two friends carried on in verse after discovering both were "poets" in German and English written in 1893. It was sent to Edmund Scheuer of Holy Blossom Temple by Leo Frankel in 1938. There are also letters, certificates, a booklet, a membership coin and an ornate badge in a leather case documenting Carl Frankel's involvement with the Royal Arch Chapter of St. Andrew and St. John and the Palestine Lodge of the Masons beginning in the 1920s. In addition there are receipts and bills of sale for merchandise purchased by Carl Frankel from Levy Brothers, Wholesale and Manufacturing Jewellers in Hamilton, Ontario.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2004-3-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-3-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
ca. 3 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1900-1979
Scope and Content
This accession consists of material documenting the donor, Carol Hamilton's grandparents, Dora and Bernard Coffler. It includes portraits of her grandparents as well as an exterior photograph of the Coffler Bedding Co., activities and 50th wedding celebration. This accession also includes: documents such as their passports, wedding certificate and identification cards; correspondence from David Croll; press clippings relating to their wedding and anniversary; an Ezras Noshim Society pin; an Adath Israel Congregation Golden Jubilee Book (1952); and a Mount Sinai Hospital Auziliary 25th Anniversary Year Book
Administrative History
Bernard and Dora Coffler arrived in Canada from Roumania in 1900 and 1901 respectively. They met in 1902 and married on 21 May 1904 in Toronto. They reportedly were the first couple to be married on a Sunday in Toronto. They had three children: Myer (1905), Goldie (1910), and Sam (1914).
The Coffler's opened up a business called Coffler Bedding Co., which was located at 391 Parliament Street.
Dora Coffler was very active in two organizations, the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire (IODE) as well as the Mount Sinai Hospital Auxiliary called the Ezras Noshim Society.
Bernard and Dora Coffler passed away in 1960 and 1971 respectively
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 7 photographs, 1 badge, 1 pin and 1 coin.
Subjects
Weddings
Storefronts
Name Access
Coffler Bedding Co.
Adath Israel Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Mount Sinai Hospital (Toronto, Ont.)
Croll, David, 1900-1991
Ezras Noshem Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-7-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-7-3
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
object
Physical Description
ca. 1 m of textual records
ca. 100 photographs
10 plaques
Date
1964-2002, predominant 1970-1994
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual and graphic material documenting the activities of Cecily Peters, particularly her involvement with Hadassah-Wizo and the Deborah Chapter. Included are speeches, reports, minutes, newsletters, membership lists, correspondence, conference materials, photographs, publications, and certificates.
Custodial History
Records were in the possession of Sari Yorke, the daughter of Cecily Peters.
Administrative History
Cecily Peters (nee Goodman) was a leader in a number of communal organizations including, Hadassah-WIZO Organization of Canada, Women’s Division Campaign of UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, and the United Israel Appeal of Canada.
Peters was born in Toronto in 1924. She taught at the Clinton Street Public School in the 1940s until her marriage to Bernard Mayer in 1948. After her marriage in 1948, Cecily joined the Deborah Chapter of Hadassah-WIZO and served as its President multiple times throughout the fifties and sixties. In 1961 she joined the Toronto Haddasah-WIZO executive and served as President from 1965-1967. In 1967 she became involved in the National Executive and served as President from 1983-1987.
In addition to her involvement with Hadassah-WIZO, Peters served as Chairman of the 1969 Women’s Division Campaign, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto and Vice-President of the United Israel Appeal of Canada, Women’s Division. From 1982-1985 she also sat on the Governing Council of the University of Toronto.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Associated material note: Library and Archives Canada also has a Cecily Peters fonds.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Mayor series
Certificates and awards sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 4-7; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Mayor series
Certificates and awards sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
4-7
File
2
Material Format
object
Date
1964
Physical Description
1 medallion : metal, silver ; 7.5 cm in diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of one medallion that was presented to Phil Givens by the Italian Canadian community on October 29, 1964 to commemorate the centennial of Italian settlement in Canada.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Mayor series
Certificates and awards sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 51; Series 4-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Mayor series
Certificates and awards sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
51
Series
4-7
Material Format
textual record
object
graphic material
Date
1964-1975
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
5 objects
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of certificates, medals, one key and one photograph documenting the awards and honours presented to Mayor Phil Givens.
Source
Archival Descriptions
307 records – page 1 of 7.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content