Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
120 records – page 1 of 3.
Accession Number
1992-12-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-12-6
Material Format
graphic material
object
Physical Description
6 photographs : b&w (3 negatives) ; 20 x 25 cm
Artifacts
Date
1929-1991
Scope and Content
Accession consists of several artifacts including: Life member for Baycrest plaque awarded to Allan Grossman, 1981; American Israel Numismatic Association plaque awarded to Allan Grossman, November 1972; Minister of Revenue framed golden seal, ca. 1970s; Jewish Immigrant Aid Services of Canada Award of Service plaque presented to Allan Grossman; Quinte Regional Detention Center plaque presented to Allan Grossman, 1971; B'nai Brith Convention guest badge, 1-4 June 1969; Grey Cup badge,1980; Jigsaw puzzles from the Allan Grossman Campaign; Federal-Provincial Conference of First Ministers delegate badge, 15-17 November 1991; Yellow and blue Davis sign; Yellow and blue Davis hats; Yellow and blue Davis jackets; plaque commemorating the new bridge in Toronto opened December 23, 1953; plaque commemorating 1956 visit with the Pope, 25 April 1956; Framed certificate given to Allan Grossman on his 70th Birthday from the Premier of Ontario, 4 March 1974; Harold King Farm plaque given to Allan Grossman; shovel from the Ground Breaking ceremony of the new Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, 30 June 1983; B'nai Brith Distinguished Citizen Award plaque given to Allan Grossman, 3 March 1974; Small plaque from Premier William Davis honouring Allan Grossman, 1972; Memorial Groves plaque.
Photographs include a collage of portraits of members (including Allan Grossman) of the Toronto Boy Municipal Council 1929, and a photo of William McIntyre, acting clerk of the Executive Council, administering the oath of office to Allan Grossman, Minister Without Portfolio, at the Ontario Parliament on November 21, 1960. Also picured are Leslie Frost and Keiller McKay. A third photograph was taken at a visit in 1965 to the Ontario Legislature with ohn Robarts, Premier of Ontario, and Menachem Begin of Israel.
Name Access
Grossman, Allan, 1910-1991
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1990-4-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1990-4-3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
1 m of textual records and graphic material
1 badge : felt and metal, blue, silver and white ; 10.5 x 10.5 cm
1 pin : metal, white, blue and gold ; 1 cm.
Date
[ca. 1922]-[194-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records and graphic material documenting the life and career of Allan Grossman. Also included is a Jewish Boys in Training Crest of Merit badge (ca. 1922-1924), a white felt badge with a blue Magen David in the middle and in the four corners with metal plates attached to the material, each one with a different symbol, and an Ostrovtzer Independent Mutual Benefit Society pin (ca. 1940s).
Subjects
Politicians
Name Access
Grossman, Allan, 1910-1991
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-6-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-6-7
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
90 cm of textual records
2 artifacts
Date
1938-1977
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the life and communal service of Dr. Hyman O. Singer. Included are records related to B'nai Brith District No. 22, Eastern Canadian Council, and the Jacob Goldblatt Lodge; Canadian Jewish Congress, the Welland Hebrew Congregation; and other organizations such as the Canadian Council fo Christians and Jews and the National Council of Jewish Women. In addition, there are two objects: a B'nai B'rith badge and a plastic portfolio for the B'nai Brith Triennial Convention in 1965.
Administrative History
Born in Montreal, Dr. Hyman O. Singer (1908-1981) graduated with an M.D. degree from the University of Toronto in 1937. In 1940 he settled in Welland, Ontario. He was the first member of the Lord Melchett Lodge in St. Catharines and later became a member of the Jacob Goldblatt Lodge and served as its president, from 1949-1950. He served on the national executive of B'nai Brith, and as their vocational service commissioner. During his term as president of the Anshe Yosher Congregation (Welland Hebrew Congregation), a new synagogue and centre was built. He was a member of the National Executive of the Canadian Jewish Congress, and served as vice-chairman of the Educational and Cultural Committee. He was also the president of the medical staff of the Welland County General Hospital and Chief of the Department of General Practice. He died in St. Catharines in 1981.
Name Access
Singer, Hyman 1908-1981
Places
Welland, Ont.
St. Catharines, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-12-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-12-1
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
object
Physical Description
20 cm textual records
1 photograph
4 ribbons
5 medallions
5 coins
9 medals
12 pins
Date
1919-1973
Scope and Content
This accession consists of correspondence, speeches, invitations, a photograph, newsclippings and other material related to John J. Glass, his political life and the Jewish community.
The objects in this accession relate to John J. Glass's military and community service. They include pins, ribbons, medals, medallions, and coins. Related to this are the following organizations: World Council of Synagogues, Canadian Legion, Vimy Ridge, British Empire Service League, Queen's Rangers, Veteran's Guard, New York World's Fair, Army and Navy Veterans, and Queen Elizabeth II's coronation.
Administrative History
John Judah Glass (1897-1973) was born 31 October 1897, in England, the son of Morris and Pearl Glass. In 1907, Glass immigrated to Toronto, two years after his father. He graduated from the University of Toronto in 1917 and received his law degree from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1921. He married Anne Ethel (née Horowitz) and had two children: George and Jesse. Glass was a practicing barrister and solicitor and a member of the Canadian Bar Association. He served with the Canadian army during the First and Second World Wars. In 1936, Glass was invited by the Canadian Government to the opening of the Vimy Ridge Memorial in France. He was a member of the Toronto Board of Education (1928-1930), was Alderman with the Toronto City Council (1931-1934), and was a Liberal MPP for St. Andrew's Riding (1934-1943). Glass was on the Board of Governors of Beth Tzedec Congregation; was the past president of the Toronto Zionist Council; was on the national and regional executive of the Zionist Organization of Canada; was a founder of the Canadian Jewish Congress; was the past president of Toronto B'nai Brith; was a founder and first president of the General Wingate Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion; and was affiliated with the Toronto Council of Christians and Jews, the Palestine Lodge, the Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital, the Jewish Historical Society, United Jewish Appeal, Jewish National Fund, and the State of Israel Bonds.
Glass died in 1973.
MG_RG
MG6 B
Name Access
Glass, John Judah, 1897-1973
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1986-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1986-9-2
Material Format
object
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
7 photographs
artifacts
Date
1908-1970
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records, graphic materials, and artifacts documenting the Shaarey Shomayim Synagogue in Fort William (Thunder Bay) and the Jewish community of Thunder Bay. The records include a brass menorah and shivisi from the Synagogue, along with a wooden tablet of the ten commandments (1920s); a marriage register (1908-1951); a minute book of the chevra kadisha (1913-1986); B'nai Brith Lodge membership registration books, minute books, a dues book, and a framed citation (1911-1970); and several photographs including the Jewish community's float for the coronation of King George VI, the turning of the sod for the new synagogue, the B'nai Brith Lodge annual picnic in Port Arthur and a meeting honouring Jewish servicemen of the Second World War, and three portraits of the Synagogue's honourary presidents.
MG_RG
MG 2 B 1ii
MG 3 B 23
Subjects
Communities
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaarey Shomayim Congregation (Thunder Bay, Ont.)
Places
Thunder Bay, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-5-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-5-6
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 badge
Date
1900-1950
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records created and collected by the Canadian Hebrew Benevolent Society. Included are an immigrant's letter book in Yiddish and English and a member badge for the Canadian Hebrew Benevolent Society
Administrative History
The Canadian Hebrew Benevolent Society was a fraternal organization, founded in 1913, whose primary objective was the provision of aid to the Jewish community
MG_RG
MG 20 B 1N
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1983-2-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1983-2-1
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
3 ribbons
Date
1939-1940
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a dues notebook which belonged to Samuel Samuels. The books contain listings in Hebrew of contributers to a building fund, entries written in Yiddish of family lifecycle events, telephone numbers and addresses with numbers in English, as well as ribbon badges for a United Palestine Appeal Committee (1939), a Ontario Zionist Regional Conference (1940), and a Canadian Jewish Congress Annual Conference (1940).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-1-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-1-9
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 button : metal ; 3 cm in diam.
Date
[19--]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a button featuring a religious scene. A bearded man is standing with his arms outstretched and an individual is kneeling before him. This is possibly a scene from the Book of Esther (Purim). Surrounding the image is either Hebrew or Yiddish text.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-9-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-9-3
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 pin
Date
[ca. 1928]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a member's pin with a ribbon and pendant celebrating the 25th jubilee of the International Ladies Garment Workers Union (ILGWU), Cloakmakers Union Toronto.
Subjects
Anniversaries
Labor unions
Name Access
International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1994-12-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1994-12-5
Material Format
object
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
Artifacts
Photographs
1 folder of textual records
Date
1884-1986
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs, textual records, and artifacts documenting the Sadowski family from Massey, Ontario. Records include family photographs, family correspondence, geneological information, and business records. Of note are photographs of the Sadowski General Store in Massey, a meal token from the store, a notebook documenting animal fur transactions (1920-1922), and a land survey of the Sadowski family property (1893).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1991-8-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1991-8-2
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 badge
Date
1937-1953
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a small book in Hebrew, a notebook with Yiddish writing and one item of genealogy information in English, the 25th Anniversary Book of the Zion Benevolent Association (1937), a pamphlet from the Montreal Life Insurance Company, and a letter to the National Trust Company (1943). As well there is a Zion Benevolent Association of Toronto members badge, a grocery bill from Traisters on Spadina (1953), and an Israel Art Calendar (1950-51).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-8-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-8-5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
6 photographs : b&w (3 negatives) ; 11 x 16 cm on matte 18 x 23 cm or smaller
1 plaque : metal, mounted in frame, gold and black ; frame measures 47 x 62 cm.
Date
1912-[ca. 1940]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of the Socol Hebrew-Yiddish School (a class picture and a school picnic in High park), and a photo of a dentist Dr. Robert Seidenberg whose mother brought Mr. Socol to Toronto. As well there is Mr. Socol's diary (1912) with a translation from Yiddish to English by Alex Korn, and a letter concerning the proposed Beyt Sefer T'Khiya. Finally, accession includes a Socol Hebrew and Yiddish School plaque. It has a gold background embossed with a pattern of leaves. There is black Yiddish lettering mounted on, and set in a glass frame with a black metal border. It reads: "Z. Socol Hebrew-Yiddishe Shule" .
Descriptive Notes
Identification is provided for the photographs
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-8-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-8-3
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
4 plaques
1 folder of textual records
Date
1966-1976
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a four plaques awarded to Sarah Levine including a 94th birthday plaque from the Government of Ontario (1970); a 100th birthday plaque from the Government of Ontario (1976); a 90th birthday plaque from Baycrest (1966); a life membership plaque from Baycrest (1973); and 3 congratulatory telegrams honouring the occasion of her 94th birthday in 1970.
Name Access
Levine, Sarah
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1995-5-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1995-5-2
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 pin
Date
[ca. 1940]-[ca. 1945]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a lapel pin worn by persons who had close relatives serving in the military during the Second World War.The maple leaf shaped pin is inscribed with " Canadian Jewish Congress Next of Kin League" and "On Active Service".
Administrative History
Rabbi Monson and Mrs.Sadie Danson originated the idea of producing the pins. This one belonged to Min Rosenfeld.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-8-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-8-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
Artifact
Date
1900
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a lodge pin from the Toronto Independent Benevolent Association dated September 20, 1900.
Name Access
Toronto Independent Benevolent Association
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-9-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 25 x 20 cm and 20 x 25 cm
1 folder of textual records
Date
1936-1979
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a group photo of the Post Graduate Class, Ontario College of Pharmacy and an accompanying diploma. Sam Sword and Issie Rothbart are identified. Other records include a photograph, likely of Sam Sword, wearing a Masonic apron; a letter from G.E.W. Bridge in England; a registered pharmacist's pin; Second World War service award pins, badges, and medals; and certificates documenting Sam Sword's participation in organizations such as the Grand Encampment of Florida Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Supreme Lodge Knights of Pythias (Florida), Grand Council Royal and Select Masters of State of Nevada, Grand Council Royal and Select Masters of Ontario, Grand Chapter Royal Arch Masons of Canada, and Ancient Mystic Order of Samaritans of West Virginia.
Administrative History
Sam Sword was the step-father of the donor, Marty Sheffer.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1984-5-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1984-5-7
Material Format
object
graphic material
Physical Description
1 coin
16 photographs : b&w ; 7 x 10 cm
Date
1939-1945
Scope and Content
This accession consists of one Mount Sinai Lodge A.F. & A.M. No. 522 G.R.C. 25th anniversary coin. The coin has the lodge's coat of arms on the recto and a set of tablets with the words "keep these and good fortune will be yours" on the verso.
Also included are 16 photographs of the Allied Forces (including the Canadian Army) at Bergen-Belsen in April 1945 following the liberation of the camp. Pictured are the general grounds, mass graves with sign markers, a group of (local German?) women crowded around the back of an army truck, army personnel observing and taking photographs of a deceased victim, a crematoria, and Sam Pizel (standing right) and other servicemen with a box of human ashes.
Administrative History
Sam Pizel (?-29 Sept. 2004) was married to Lily and was the brother of Irving Pizel.
Subjects
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
World War, 1939-1945
Name Access
Pizel, Sam
Bergen-Belsen
Places
Germany
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-5-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-5-3
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 pin
Date
[193-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a gold Kieltzer Sick Benefit Society pin engraved with "for not drawing ten years benefit".
Administrative History
The Kieltzer Society was organized in 1913 by a handful of immigrants from the city of Kieltz (Kielce) in Poland with the objective of creating a home away from home for themselves and the arriving new immigrants. They helped each other find jobs and accommodations, and they arranged opportunities to socialize with one another. As the Society became more established, it created a Free Loan Casa (fund). Members could borrow money for down payments on homes, starting businesses, and sending home parcels. Each member was also entitled to receive weekly sick benefits when necessary and free doctor visits.
Following the devastation of the Holocaust, there were new obligations and responsibilities for the Society. Members welcomed recently arrived immigrants from Kieltz into the Society and helped them adjust to a new life. These new members reinvigorated the Society with active participation and the organization of more social events. Once the immigrants became more settled in Toronto, the Kieltzer Society turned its efforts to strengthening the new State of Israel by raising funds, buying Israel Bonds and teaching the next generation the importance of its security. The members of the Society were awarded with pins and badges in recognition of their leadership and tzedakah. As the Kieltzer Society celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2013, it remains steadfast in its commitment to Israel and to preserving its legacy for future generations.
Name Access
Kieltzer Sick Benefit Society
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1994-11-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1994-11-3
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 pin
Date
1954
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a United Jewish Appeal 1954 campaign pin and letter and a programme for a fashion show at the 1954 Hadassah Bazaar presented by the Scopus Chapter.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-4-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-4-1
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
3 artifacts
Date
1949-1976
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the Ostrovtzer Independent Mutual Benefit Society, Young Men's Branch including meeting minutes (1971-1976), invitations and programs (1949-1968), "Hilites" bulletins (1953-1956), as well as a small amount of general correspondence and a membership list. Also included are several artifacts, including an Ostrovtzer pin, an Ostrovetzer gavel presented to Al Speisman (1962) and a Solomon J. Freedman award plaque (1952-1972).
MG_RG
MG 2 B 1LL
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-6-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-6-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
ca. 20 cm of textual and graphic material
1 notary stamp
1 plaque
Date
[189-?]-[1989?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of clippings, correspondence, invitatations and photographs reflecting the personal life and community contributions of H. Max Swartz. The records include honours, photocopied documents, newsletters, family snapshots and portraits, Swartz's notary public stamp and a small plaque from JIAS in appreciation of Swartz's contribution as president. There are also three scrapbooks containing letters, clippings and photographs.
Custodial History
The records were donated by H. Max Swartz's son Paul.
Administrative History
H. Max Swartz (1900-1989) was born and raised in Toronto, where he worked for decades as a lawyer and was a well-known leader in the community. Swartz studied law at Osgoode Hall and subsequently worked in the law firm of Nathan Phillips for six years and also helped plan Phillips's mayoral campaigns. Swartz was in his early twenties when both his parents died, and he supported his eight younger siblings, an aunt and his grandmother. Eventually he established his own law firm. He was also elected president of the Reading Law Club of the Upper Canada Law Societ (a Jewish law club). Swartz was made a member of the King's Counsel in 1948. He married Seraphine (Serry) Marshack in 1931 and together they had two sons, Paul and Myron.
Swartz's community work started early and never flagged. In 1919, he was one of the founders of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. and he served on its Board of Directors as president, chairman and then Honourary Vice President. He was a board member of the United Jewish Welfare Fund and Toronto Jewish Congress, a national executive member of Canadian Jewish Congress, and president of Toronto JIAS (Jewish Immigrant Aid Services) in 1951-1952. In the 1980s, the Jewish Community Centre set up the H. Max Swartz Leadership Development Fund in his honour, and Swartz received a commendation from the mayor of Toronto for his dedication to the preservation of historic buildings, including the Gooderham flatiron building and others in the St. Lawrence Market area of the city. H. Max Swartz died at the age of 88 in 1989.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-7-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-7-6
Material Format
object
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 poster
3 cm of textual records
Artifacts
Date
1928-[ca. 1944]
Scope and Content
This accession includes a Standard Theatre poster for the play "Sheindele from Slabodke", staring Mischa and Lucy German (1928). This production was also known as "Papirosn-makherin (Cigarette Maker)," and "Reizele from Slabodke," and was staged in 1927 in the Hopkinson Theatre, then in Philadelphia with Clara Young, Lucy German and Vera Rosanka. (Source: http://www.museumoffamilyhistory.com/yt/lex/R/rosenberg-israel-II.htm) Also included are pages from a scrapbook with Jewish Standard editorial writings from the 1930s by Hye Bossin. Topics include life on Spadina Avenue and in Kensinton Market, Yiddish entertainers, Emma Goldman's visit to Toronto, Caplan's Cafe, athletes and the Toronto islands. As well, there is a metal plate for F.B. Harris, circa 1944, with an inscription on it in memory of Sgt. F.B. Harris who "died in his country's service 6 June, 1944".
Subjects
Newspapers
Theatrical posters, Yiddish
Name Access
Bossin, Hye
Goldman, Emma, 1869-1940
Harris, Fred. B.
Standard Theatre (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Kensington Market (Toronto, Ont.)
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-3-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-3-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
ca. 3 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1900-1979
Scope and Content
This accession consists of material documenting the donor, Carol Hamilton's grandparents, Dora and Bernard Coffler. It includes portraits of her grandparents as well as an exterior photograph of the Coffler Bedding Co., activities and 50th wedding celebration. This accession also includes: documents such as their passports, wedding certificate and identification cards; correspondence from David Croll; press clippings relating to their wedding and anniversary; an Ezras Noshim Society pin; an Adath Israel Congregation Golden Jubilee Book (1952); and a Mount Sinai Hospital Auziliary 25th Anniversary Year Book
Administrative History
Bernard and Dora Coffler arrived in Canada from Roumania in 1900 and 1901 respectively. They met in 1902 and married on 21 May 1904 in Toronto. They reportedly were the first couple to be married on a Sunday in Toronto. They had three children: Myer (1905), Goldie (1910), and Sam (1914).
The Coffler's opened up a business called Coffler Bedding Co., which was located at 391 Parliament Street.
Dora Coffler was very active in two organizations, the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire (IODE) as well as the Mount Sinai Hospital Auxiliary called the Ezras Noshim Society.
Bernard and Dora Coffler passed away in 1960 and 1971 respectively
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 7 photographs, 1 badge, 1 pin and 1 coin.
Subjects
Weddings
Storefronts
Name Access
Coffler Bedding Co.
Adath Israel Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Mount Sinai Hospital (Toronto, Ont.)
Croll, David, 1900-1991
Ezras Noshem Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-7-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-7-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 badge
Date
1975
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a World Jewish Congress Plenary Assembly delegate badge from 1975.
Descriptive Notes
Canadian Jewish Congress.
Joint Community Relations Committee.
Soviet Jewry.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-14
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-14
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
object
Physical Description
10 cm of textual records
1 medallion
2 coins
2 lapel pins
8 photographs
Date
1921-1971
Scope and Content
This accession consists of photographs and textual materials relating to the Shefsky and Magerman family; immigration and naturalization papers for Max and Toba Shefsky; photographs depicting the Toronto textile trade; Hungarian currency; school yearbooks from Harbord Collegiate, Toronto Normal School, Borochov School and Kindergarten, and Vaughan Road Collegiate Institute; newsclippings; and several Baycrest Centre lapel pins and coins. Also included is a photo of the Ray-Magerman wedding party (8 May 1948). The records origianlly belonged to Esther (Magerman) Ray.
Custodial History
The materials were kept by Leslie Gales, wife of Keith Ray
Administrative History
Abe Magerman was the assistant manager for the International Ladies Garment Workers' Union for many years. He was married to Jennie (nee Shefsky) Magerman and had two children, Esther and Alfred. Esther attended Toronto Normal School and Harbord Collegiate while both Esther and Alfred attended the Borochov School and Kindergarten.
Jennie (nee Shefsky) Magerman was the daughter of Myer and Toba Rayzel (nee Nusynovitch) Shefsky. The Baycrest pins and coins once belonged to her.
The donor, Keith Ray, is the son of Esther (nee Magerman) Ray and Gerald (Jerry) Ray. Gerald Ray attended Vaughan Collegiate Institute and later went on to the University of Toronto for chemical engineering
Subjects
Families
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-6
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
3 photographs : col. 15 x 19 cm
1 paper napkin
Date
1944-1997
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material documenting the life and career of Herbert Mowat, Canada's leading Christian Zionist since 1944. Included are the House of Commons Minutes of Proceedings and Evidence concerning the Palestine issue with Herbert Mowat representing the Canadian Palestine Committee as Secretary, briefs and memoranda, copies of miscellaneous correspondence, press clippings, memorabilia from his 75th birthday when he was honoured by the Federated Zionist Organization, obituaries, and a biography written by his daughter Jane Mowat Martin. In addition, there are photographs of commemorative Israeli plaques including one honouring Herbert Mowat on his 75th birthday in 1968.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-86
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-86
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 medal
Date
1967
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a large circular copper coloured medal enclosed in glass or acrylic. The inscription says that it was presented to Benjamin Schneider by Ben-Gurion on March 20, 1967.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-111
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-111
Material Format
textual record
object
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 pin
1 photograph : b&w ; 14 x 9 cm
Date
1915-1944
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records pertaining to the Contorowitz family including the marriiage certificate of Nathan Contorowitcz and Gertie Sand in Toronto, Grace Street School transfer records for their three children, and a 1940 voter registration form for Gertie Contorowitz.In addition there is a photograph of Phil Granovsky taken at Smith Bay House , Port Carling , Ontario in 1944 and an unidentified pin with Hebrew lettering inscribed "founded 1912".
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-85
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-85
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 passport case
Date
[ca. 1910]-1942
Scope and Content
This accession consists of the Canadian naturalization papers and passports (Russian) of Morris and Mary Rose and a record relating to Gurofsky's Steamship Agency.The passports are housed in a cloth protective case provided by the steamship company F.Missler of Bremen, Germany.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-008
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-008
Material Format
object
Physical Description
2 badges
Date
[192-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two Kieltzer Sick Benefit Society members' badges.
Subjects
Societies
Name Access
Kieltzer Sick Benefit Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-015
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-015
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
1 name plaque
1 folder of textual records
Date
1906-[193-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of "M. Gebirtig" name plaque from the Beaches Hebrew Institute of Toronto. The plaque is gold and black metal. Also included is a seat deed for the McCaul St. Synagogue and a deed to plots at the McCaul St. Synagogue cemetery.
MG_RG
MG3 A3
MG3 A21
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Beach Hebrew Institute (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-6-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-6-1
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 typewriter
Date
[between 1900 and 1939]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of Shimon Nepom's folding Corona Typewriter in Yiddish, with case. Accession also includes poems handwritten in Yiddish in a 1933 journal book.
Administrative History
Shimon Nepom was a Yiddish poet, born in Elizavetgrad, Kherson in 1882 and died in Toronto in 1939. He was an author as well, and a TTC motorman.
MG_RG
MG 6D
Subjects
Poets, Yiddish
Name Access
Nepom, Shimon, 1882-1939
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1978-7-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1978-7-6
Material Format
object
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 document
2 artifacts
8 photographs : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm and 9 x 7 cm
Date
[between 1939 and 1944]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs taken in the Lodz Ghetto during the Second World War, including images of Mordechai Chaim Rumkowski, chairman, and other members of the Judenrat (Jewish Council). Also included is an invitation to Rumkowski's wedding to Regina Wajnberger (Weinberger) from 27 Dec. 1941 and two Lodz Ghetto coins from 1943.
Subjects
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
Name Access
Fogel, Morris
Places
Lodz, Poland
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1980-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1980-9-2
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
30 photographs : b&w
1 pin
Date
1940-1982
Scope and Content
Accession includes a printed notice of a meeting at Shaarei Tzedec synagogue (1945) and material associated with Habonim (Labor Zionist Youth). Included is an insignia pin, concert programmes, and an organizing committee planning binder for a 1983 Habonim reunion. Also included are photographs of the Dashkin family, Camp Kvutza, and the Hechalutz Hachshara farm in Grimsby, Ontario.
MG_RG
MG 6 E-6
MG 2 J 1P
MG 3 A 36
Name Access
Beckerman, Miriam
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-12-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-12-4
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 plaques
Date
1 Jan. 1931
Scope and Content
Included in this accession is a Jewish National Fund certificate given to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Steinberg of Sudbury, Ontario on the occasion of their 15th wedding anniversary on 1 Jan. 1931. There are also four plaques.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1983-11-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1983-11-5
Material Format
graphic material
object
Physical Description
1 pin
3 photographs : b&w and sepia
Date
[ca. 1914]-1936
Scope and Content
This accession consists of three photographs and an alderman pin.
Administrative History
John Judah Glass (1897-1973) was born 31 October 1897, in England, the son of Morris and Pearl Glass. In 1907, Glass immigrated to Toronto, two years after his father. He graduated from the University of Toronto in 1917 and received his law degree from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1921. He married Anne Ethel (née Horowitz) and had two children: George and Jesse. Glass was a practicing barrister and solicitor and a member of the Canadian Bar Association. He served with the Canadian army during the First and Second World Wars. He was a member of the Toronto Board of Education (1928-1930), was Alderman with the Toronto City Council (1931-1934), and was a Liberal MPP for St. Andrew's Riding (1934-1943). He was on the Board of Governors of Beth Tzedec Congregation; was the past president of the Toronto Zionist Council; was on the national and regional executive of the Zionist Organization of Canada; was a founder of the Canadian Jewish Congress; was the past president of Toronto B'nai B'rith; was a founder and first president of the General Wingate Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion; and was affiliated with the Toronto Council of Christians and Jews, the Palestine Lodge, the Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital, the Jewish Historical Society, United Jewish Appeal, Jewish National Fund, and the State of Israel Bonds.
Name Access
Glass, John Judah
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-8-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-8-2
Material Format
object
Physical Description
3 glass jars
2 costumes
Date
1891-1985
Scope and Content
This accession consists of glass jars from the Toronto Hebrew Butter Dealers association, and two costumes made by the C.E. Ward Co. Both costumes are identical in design but one is black with yellow embroidery and one is red with yellow embroidery. Their design is a long jacket with buttons on the back and two pant legs with elastics at the top to hold them in place. In the centre of the jacket is a moose surrounded by a circle/sun shape. It is speculated that these costumes were used at the Standard Theatre, a Yiddish theatre, at Spadina Ave. and Dundas St. W., but this is not certain.
Also included are three glass jars from the Toronto Hebrew Butter Dealers Association. The jars are 7 cm in diam. x 10 cm in height and have a star of david, the name of the company and the price of the jar (5 cents) embossed on it.
Administrative History
C.E. Ward Co. is a clothing company founded in 1891 which specializes in uniforms and costumes for lodges, bands, and religious organizations. Based in New London, Ohio, the founder of the company was Clyde E. Ward. The company still operates under the name New London Regalia.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1986-7-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1986-7-6
Material Format
graphic material
object
Physical Description
Artifacts
Photographs
Scope and Content
Accession consists of Harris and Shayne Family photographs and two pins: one pin of five military medals awarded to Sgt. Fred Harris for his service in the Second World War; and a 'G R' metal pin with a cross medal awarded to Sgt. Fred Harris for his service in the Second World War.
Administrative History
Sgt. Fred Harris, born in Toronto in 1921, became a member of the reserve army and volunteered for active service upon the outbreak of the Second World War. He was reported killed in action in France on D-Day, June 6, 1944. He is buried in the Canadian Military Cemetery in France. Jack Harris is the son of Dr. William Harris and the brother of Fred Harris.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1993-1-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1993-1-3
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
11 artifacts
1.2 m of textual records
Date
[19--?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of four boxes of textual records and a number of artifacts related to the Canadian Jewish Association for Ethiopian Jews including: a wooden musical instrument, a brown jug, a long white shirt, a black and white straw wand, a woven rug, a Magen David wool rug, a hanging ornament made of yarn, a wooden sculpture, two straw coasters, and a statue of a woman made from cloth and wood. Also included are four Kashruth Council signs that establishements would hang up to show they are certified.
Use Conditions
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1996-1-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1996-1-3
Material Format
object
Physical Description
12 glass panels
Date
[after 1922]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of painted glass panels from the Henry Street synagogue (now a Russian Orthodox Church). Each panel is circular with a blue background, a picture in the center and one of the names of the twelve tribes of Israel written in black. The pictures on the panels are as follows: snake, stag, boat, grapes, palm tree, flag with twelve stars, lion, landscape with two trees and two mountains, sword, hoofed animal, sheaf of wheat, and a donkey. It is believed that the glass panels were not part of the original design of the building and were added later.
Administrative History
The Henry Street Synagogue, also known as Beth Jacob or the Polisher shul, was formed as a congregation sometime before 1907. They moved into the new building on Henry Street (designed by Benjamin Brown) in 1922. The building is now a Russian Orthodox Church. The synagogue moved from it's Henry Street location north in 1966.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1997-5-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1997-5-8
Material Format
object
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
2 plaques
1 photograph : col. ; 26 x 21 cm
1 folder of textual records
Date
[198-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a Human Relations Award plaque given to John Aird from the Canadian Council of Christians and Jews (November 29, 1983), and a Beth Sholom Brotherhood 35th Annual Humanitarian Award presented to John Black Aird (June 13, 1985). In addition there is a photo of John Aird, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, and a Jewish National Fund certificate honouring John Aird by Canyon Lodge B'Nai Brith (January 26, 1986).
Administrative History
John Black Aird (1923-1995) was the 23rd Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, Canada, from 1980 to 1985.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1998-2-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1998-2-3
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 trophy : silver and wood ; 36 cm in height
Date
1926
Scope and Content
This accession consists of one silver trophy presented to Jacob Mosoff for his ten years of service as Recording Secretary at the McCaul Street Synagogue on October 24th 1926.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2002-10-33
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2002-10-33
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 trophy : gold-plated copper and wood, burgundy and golden ; 45 cm in height
Date
1947
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a trophy presented to L. Levitz from the Linitzer Society.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2002-10-46
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2002-10-46
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 trophy
Date
1960
Scope and Content
Accession consists of an Arts Theatre Club Trophy. This trophy has a wood base, on the left are theatrical masks in gold, on the right is a taller wood block with a plaque on the front, on top is a silver statue. This item has been deaccessioned and removed (11/24/15)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-1-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-1-1
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 marble plaque : 10 x 10 cm
1 textual record
Date
16 Oct. 2005
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one marble plaque from the opening commemoration of the Pardes Shalom Cemetery Memorial Garden. The plaque has the Magen David on carved into the averse, while on the reverse is the inscription: the Pardes Sholom Memorial Garden commemorating the opening, October 16, 2005.
The textual record is an informational/promotional single-fold booklet containing information about the cemetery and the garden, along with contact information.
Descriptive Notes
Pardes Shalom Cemetery Memorial Garden.
Subjects
Cemeteries
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-2-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-2-11
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 item
Date
[193-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one tallis bag created by Shlima Bresler during the 1930s. The family lived in Toronto and the father owned a grocery store. The bag is blue velvet with a Magen David sewn onto the front flap.
Descriptive Notes
Bresler, Shlima.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-4/5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-4/5
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 arm band: linen and cotton; 10 x 20 cm
Date
[between 1922 to 1945]
Scope and Content
The item is a Nazi Youth armband that was likely worn by a member of the older youth group, who were 15 to 18 years of age. The item is constructed of red linen with a white and black cotton insert running across it in the shape of a stripe and swastika.
Custodial History
The item was given to Hesh Troper to pass on to us.
Administrative History
The Hitler Youth or Jugend was formed in 1922 as the Jungsturm Adolf Hitler. They were disbanded in 1923 and re-established in 1926. By 1933, the movement developed to include both girls and boys ranging in age from 10 to 18 years of age. The movement served as a training ground for future aryan supermen and women, teaching them to be future soldiers for the Third Reich. By 1939, the Hitler Youth became mandatory for all children in Germany within the designated age range. As a result, every German youngster was forced to purchase a uniform and serve in the youth movement regardless of the parents wishes.
The members of the movement wore paramilitary uniforms similar to those of the Nazi party. The uniforms included badges, accessories and knives. The uniforms varied between the girls and the boys and the younger and older groups. At the time, the uniforms were very popular with the children and many were proud to wear them in public
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-8-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-8-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 coin : 3 cm in diam.
Date
[188-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a meal token. One side of the token is inscribed "H. Sadowski & Son, general merchants, Massey Ont." The reverse side is inscribed "Good for one meal on Tote Road only".
Administrative History
The Sadowski meal token was given to drivers taking supplies and goods from the Massey store to the lumber camps in the north. The drivers would use it for food en route. The restaurant owners would then return the coins to the Sadowski store for payment.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-11-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-11-2
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 cm of textual records
1 pin
Date
[195-]-1977
Scope and Content
This accession consists of a pamphlet produced in the 1950s by the Jewish Committee of the Canadian Peace Congress; a school workbook with Hebrew writing on the front, from the Mildred Arnoff Memorial School at Beth Shalom Synagogue; a 25th Anniversary Banquet and Dance program book from the P. Ruttenberg Branch 244 of the Farband Labour Zionist Order; and a pin from the Chai Club of the BBWE of Canada.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-6-7
Material Format
object
Physical Description
17 pins
Date
[19--]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 17 pins, 9 of which have been identified. The pins that have been identified are as follows; four Order of Foresters pins, two Order of the Moose pins, a Pride of Israel Sick Benefit Society pin, a Canadian Medical Association/Ontario Medical Association pin and a Zion Magen David pin.
Source
Archival Accessions
120 records – page 1 of 3.

Narrow By

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content