Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
144 records – page 1 of 3.
Accession Number
1991-3-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1991-3-5
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
Artifacts
Textual records
Date
[1950?]–[1989?]
Scope and Content
Textual records include flyers, invitations, mailings, form letters, newsletters, blank cheques, legal documents and correspondence. Organizations documented include Agudath Israel Congregation, Pirchei Agudas Yisroel of Toronto, Bnos Agudah Toronto, Bikur Cholim women's volunteer service of Toronto, Beth Jacob High School, Hachnosas Kallah, Va'ad Harabonim, Zichron Schnver, The Press Foundation and Ahavas Chesed.
Artifacts include:
Metal hooks used in the schitah process. -- [ca. 1960s]. -- 5 hooks : metal ; 25 cm in length. -- 5 bent pieces of metal with one sharp end and a hook on the other end. On the hook, it reads, "Perl's, Kosher". In good condition.
Rolls of kashrut labels. -- [ca. 1960s]. -- 2 label rolls : beige and blue ; labels are either 6 cm or 3 cm in length. -- Rolls of stickers with the Hebrew letters symbolizing kashrut In fair condition. They are faded.
Leather pouches with strings. -- [ca. 1960s]. -- 2 pouches : leather and textile, brown ; 8 cm in length. -- One tan, one dark brown leather pouch with a flap for closing. Both have shoe laces attached to the flap to close the pouch. In fair condition.
Lead kashrut stamp. -- [ca. 1960s]. -- 1 stamp : lead ; 9 cm in length In good condition.
The Associatin for Welfare of Soldiers in Israel Charity Box. -- 11 cm. -- Tin, no lid, white and blue paper wrapped around, picture of soldiers walking on the front. poor condition.
Jewish National Fund Charity Box (2) but from different accession, not using. -- 8.5 x 3.5 x 11.5 cm. -- Tin, blue and white, Hebrew and English writing, map of Israel on one side. one is poor quality, one is good quality.
Descriptive Notes
Box 93-1-1 includes a Dept. of Public Health permit to operate a poultry slaughter house, dated 7 Jan. 1953, issued to Herman Gross and Abram Perl for their slaughter house located at the rear of 54-56 Kensington Ave.
Records are in English and Yiddish.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-11-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-11-11
Material Format
object
graphic material
textual record
text
Physical Description
47 artifacts
6 cm of textual records
1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 77 cm
Date
1925-[198?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records, predominantly clippings, from a scrapbook that has been dissassembled. The clippings date from the 1920s through the 1980s and relate to sports, politics, the Toronto Boys' Municipal Council, and Joe Goodman's trucking business. There is also one file of personal correspondence and Goodman's certificate for his Canada Centennial Medal.
The accession also contains one photograph: a panoramic photograph of the Toronto Boys' Municipal Council from 1930. Individuals are identified on the photograph.
The artifacts in the accession include: various ribbons, crests, and badges associated with athletic prowess. Some were given at the Canadian National Exhibition track. These honours were given for sports: rugby, wrestling, and boxing.
Wrestling Clarkson AA medal awarded to Joe Goodman. -- 28 January 1932. -- 1 medal : sterling silver ; 2 cm in diam. -- Manufacturer: Recdos Sterling. -- A sterling silver medal-pendant with an image of two men wrestling on one side and an engraving on the other side In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Wrestling City Championships medal awarded to Joe Goodman. -- 1932. -- 1 medal : sterling silver ; 3 x 2.5 cm. -- A sterling medallion with two men wrestling on one side and an engraving on the other. In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Ontario Championship Second Place medal awarded to Joe Goodman. -- 1930. -- 1 medal : sterling silver ; 3.5 x 2.5 cm. -- Manufacturer: Ellis Bros. -- Sterling silver medal with two men wrestling in a circular mound, with an engraving on the other side In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Central "Y" Wrestling First Place medal awarded to Joe Goodman. -- 1930. -- 1 medal : silver ; 2.5 x 1.5 cm; 1 ribbon : textile, red, white and blue. -- Manufacturer: Bailey Sterling. -- Silver medal with the emblem of two men wrestling mounted onto the base There is an engraving on the other side and a blue, red and white ribbon attached to the clasp In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Central Y.M.C.A Team medal awarded to Joe Goodman. -- 1929-1930. -- 1 medal : silver ; 3 x 2.5 cm. -- Manufacturer: Bailey Sterling. -- A silver medal with a leaf branches bordering the emblem of 2 men wrestling and an inscription at the bottom and on the other side. In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
J.Goodman Wrestling medal awarded to Joe Goodman. -- [ca. 1930]. -- 1 medal : silver ; 3 x 2 cm. -- Manufacturer: Bailey Sterling. -- Medal is decorated with various patterns along the edges, and borders two men wrestling in a circle. "J.Goodman" is engraved on the back In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Rugby league President medal awarded to Joe Goodman. -- 1929. -- 1 medal : copper, brown, white and blue ; 3 x 4 cm. -- A diamond shaped medal with a pattern along the border. In it is another border (white and blue), inside of which, is an image of a man playing rugby. The other side has an inscription. In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Green River Boosters pin. -- [ca. 1930s]. -- 1 pin : copper, green, blue and gold ; 1 cm in diam. -- A tiny circular pin with a blue border and gold writing along the border with a picture of a landscape in the center. In good condition, but some of the paint on the pin is coming off. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Toronto City Playgrounds medals given to Joe Goodman. -- 1926 (2) and 1925 (1). - - 2 medals : copper ; 2.5 cm in diam.; 1 medal : silver, beige ; 2.5 cm in diam.; 1 ribbon : textile, red, white and blue. -- Manufacturer: Trophy Craft Sterling. -- 2 copper, one silver medals. "Toronto City Playgrounds" written along the border with different images embossed in the center. One of a man playing basketball, one of two men wrestling, one of a man running. On the back is the City Playgrounds logo an an inscription of the year. One of the copper medals has a blue, red and white ribbon weaves through the clasp. In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Boys Council Swim medal. -- [ca. 1930]. -- 1 medal : silver ; 3.5 x 3 cm. -- Manufacturer: Bailey Sterling. -- A silver medal with an engraving bordering a welded image of a man swimming. On the opposite side is an image of an ancient Rome or Greek character In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Toronto Public School Board medal given to Joe Goodman. -- [ca. 1930]. -- 1 medal : copper ; 3.5 cm in diam. -- A copper coin with an intricate emblem on one side bordered by maple leaf carvings. In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Medal given to Joe Goodman from the Toronto Public School Board. -- [ca. 1930]. - - 1 medal : copper ; 3 cm in diam. -- A copper medal with the Toronto Public School Board emblem on one side and an inscription on the other side. In good condition, a bit tarnished. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Ostrovtzer Independent Sick Benefit Society pin. -- [ca. 1930]. -- 1 pin : metal, blue, white and gold, crest shaped ; 1 cm in length. -- A tiny pin in the shape of a shield, half being white and half blue, with gold writing. In good condition, but some of the paint is falling off. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Gold menorah pin. -- [ca. 1930]. -- 1 pin : gold, menorah shaped ; 1 cm In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Gold menorah pin with blue background. -- [ca. 1930]. -- 1 pin : gold, blue and gold, square ; 1.5 x 1.5 cm. -- A gold menorah mounted on a blue background with a gold border. In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
MTC pin. -- [ca. 1930]. -- 1 pin : gold, red and gold, circular ; 1.5 cm in diam. -- Red circular pin with the letters MTC in gold, and a gold border In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Toronto Boy Municipal Council pin. -- 1930. -- 1 pin : metal, white, gold and blue ; 1.5 cm. -- A blue and white oval pin with gold writing and a picture of a clock tower in the center In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Boy Scouts medal. -- [prob. 1930]. -- 1 medal : gold, gold and black, dog shaped ; 1.5 cm. -- A gold medal in the shape of the face of a dog with a black banner in front of his mouth that reads "Boy Scouts" . A stand in the shape of a crescent holds up this medal In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Boy Council Athletic Day medal. -- 1929. -- 1 medal : metal, gold, rectangular ; 3.5 cm. -- A gold medal with a picture of a Greek god standing in a toga holding a branch in one hand and resting on the TBMC emblem. In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Toronto Municipal Boys Council 1927 Championship medal. -- 1927. -- 1 medal : metal, gold ; 3 cm. -- Manufacturer: TrophyCraft. -- An engraving of the words "The Toronto Boy Municipal Council" borders an engraving of a clock tower. On the other side is another engraving. In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Toronto Boy Municipal Council Ontario Championships medal. -- 1927-1930. -- 1 medal : metal, silver, oval ; 1.5 cm. -- There is an image of a clock tower on one side and engraving on the other In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Toronto Boy Municipal Council Boys Championship medal. -- [prob. 1930]. -- 1 medal : copper, oval ; 1.5 cm. -- A copper emblem of the T.B.M.C with an engraving on the other side In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Toronto Boy Municipal Council Boys Week medals. -- 3-10 June 1922. -- 2 medals : copper, oval ; 1.5 cm; 1 ribbon : textile, blue In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Toronto Boy Municipal Council medal. -- 1930. -- 1 medal : metal, gold ; 1.5 cm; 1 pin : metal and textile, gold, blue and red. -- A red ribbon hangs from a rectangular pin that says "official". From the ribbon hangs the medal with the TBMC emblem on it In good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 16.
Administrative History
Joe Goodman, born 1912, was a member of the council when he was 19-20. He won a number of medals, pins and ribbons that are a testament to his involvement and athletic participation.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-4-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-4-7
Material Format
object
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
3 m of textual records
ca. 60 photographs
1 pin
Date
1921-1981
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the personal and professional life of Dr. John Sherman and his wife Etta (née Taube), as well as Sherman's involvement with the Alpha Omega Fraternity, a dental fraternity at the University of Toronto.
In addition to textual records there are their are 44 photographs and 2 certificates from The Hebrew University of Jerusalem acknowledging Mrs. Etta T. Sherman and Dr. John A. Sherman as a founding members of the School of Dental Medicine. Among the photographs are family photos of the Taube family, general Alpha Omega event photos and several oversized photographs documenting: the interior ballroom of an Alpha Omega Installation Dinner, Feb 16, 1958, Jaeger House; the interior ballroom of an Alpha Omega Fraternity Award Night, 49th Annual Convention, Dec. 30, 1956, The Statler Hotel, Boston, Mass.; the interior ballroom of an Alpha Omega National Convention, Dec. 30, 1954, Detroit, Michigan; an Alpha Omega annual convention banquet, Dec. 27, 1938, the Statler Hotel, Cleveland, Ohio; a family photo taken at the Alpha Omega's 44th Annual Convention, Dec. 27-31, 1951, Ambassador Hotel, Atlantic City, N.J.; and an Argonaut vs Balmy Beach Dinner, Nov. 24, 1945, Adelaide Hotel, J.E. Wagman Annual Football Party, Toronto.
Administrative History
Dr. John A. Sherman (1 May 1901-30 Sept. 1982) graduated from the University of Toronto Dental School in 1924. John and Etta (née Taube) (6 Mar. 1908-22 July 1998) Sherman were among the group of dentists and their wives who started Alpha Omega Fraternity in Canada in 1921. Dr. Sherman was an International President of AO, and the founder of the Alpha Omega Foundation of Canada; he also served as its Secretary-Treasurer for many years. He was an exemplary leader in dentistry across the world and also served the profession as an inventor of dental equipment.
John Sherman died Sept. 30, 1982 and Etta Sherman died July 22, 1998.
MG_RG
MG2 B1Q
Subjects
Greek letter societies
Name Access
Alpha Omega Dental Fraternity, Toronto Chapter
Sherman, Etta, 1908-1998
Sherman, John, 1901-1982
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1991-1-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1991-1-4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
3 boxes of textual records
photographs
1 apron
Date
1912–1979
Scope and Content
Accession includes periodicals, a book, pamphlets, a certificate, clippings on Hadassah-WIZO and records relating to Youth Aliyah, Ajalon, Beth Tzedec and Palestine Lodge. As well, there is a 1925 University of Toronto yearbook. There are also several photographs taken in 1943 of the interior of the Canadian Jewish Congress Service Mens Club, at 44 St. George Street, Toronto (Community House). The artifact is a blue and white striped apron, ca. 1940s. -- 1 apron : textile, blue, red and white ; 91 cm in length. -- A blue and white striped apron with red initials embroidered in the center, white lining around the sleeves, and a blue and white striped belt for tying the apron around the waist. In fair condition. The apron is ripped at the side and slightly stained in some spots. Current location: PacArt, Box 27.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-12-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-12-6
Material Format
graphic material
object
Physical Description
6 photographs : b&w (3 negatives) ; 20 x 25 cm
Artifacts
Date
1929-1991
Scope and Content
Accession consists of several artifacts including: Life member for Baycrest plaque awarded to Allan Grossman, 1981; American Israel Numismatic Association plaque awarded to Allan Grossman, November 1972; Minister of Revenue framed golden seal, ca. 1970s; Jewish Immigrant Aid Services of Canada Award of Service plaque presented to Allan Grossman; Quinte Regional Detention Center plaque presented to Allan Grossman, 1971; B'nai Brith Convention guest badge, 1-4 June 1969; Grey Cup badge,1980; Jigsaw puzzles from the Allan Grossman Campaign; Federal-Provincial Conference of First Ministers delegate badge, 15-17 November 1991; Yellow and blue Davis sign; Yellow and blue Davis hats; Yellow and blue Davis jackets; plaque commemorating the new bridge in Toronto opened December 23, 1953; plaque commemorating 1956 visit with the Pope, 25 April 1956; Framed certificate given to Allan Grossman on his 70th Birthday from the Premier of Ontario, 4 March 1974; Harold King Farm plaque given to Allan Grossman; shovel from the Ground Breaking ceremony of the new Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, 30 June 1983; B'nai Brith Distinguished Citizen Award plaque given to Allan Grossman, 3 March 1974; Small plaque from Premier William Davis honouring Allan Grossman, 1972; Memorial Groves plaque.
Photographs include a collage of portraits of members (including Allan Grossman) of the Toronto Boy Municipal Council 1929, and a photo of William McIntyre, acting clerk of the Executive Council, administering the oath of office to Allan Grossman, Minister Without Portfolio, at the Ontario Parliament on November 21, 1960. Also picured are Leslie Frost and Keiller McKay. A third photograph was taken at a visit in 1965 to the Ontario Legislature with ohn Robarts, Premier of Ontario, and Menachem Begin of Israel.
Name Access
Grossman, Allan, 1910-1991
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1990-4-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1990-4-3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
1 m of textual records and graphic material
1 badge : felt and metal, blue, silver and white ; 10.5 x 10.5 cm
1 pin : metal, white, blue and gold ; 1 cm.
Date
[ca. 1922]-[194-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records and graphic material documenting the life and career of Allan Grossman. Also included is a Jewish Boys in Training Crest of Merit badge (ca. 1922-1924), a white felt badge with a blue Magen David in the middle and in the four corners with metal plates attached to the material, each one with a different symbol, and an Ostrovtzer Independent Mutual Benefit Society pin (ca. 1940s).
Subjects
Politicians
Name Access
Grossman, Allan, 1910-1991
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-6-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-6-7
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
90 cm of textual records
2 artifacts
Date
1938-1977
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the life and communal service of Dr. Hyman O. Singer. Included are records related to B'nai Brith District No. 22, Eastern Canadian Council, and the Jacob Goldblatt Lodge; Canadian Jewish Congress, the Welland Hebrew Congregation; and other organizations such as the Canadian Council fo Christians and Jews and the National Council of Jewish Women. In addition, there are two objects: a B'nai B'rith badge and a plastic portfolio for the B'nai Brith Triennial Convention in 1965.
Administrative History
Born in Montreal, Dr. Hyman O. Singer (1908-1981) graduated with an M.D. degree from the University of Toronto in 1937. In 1940 he settled in Welland, Ontario. He was the first member of the Lord Melchett Lodge in St. Catharines and later became a member of the Jacob Goldblatt Lodge and served as its president, from 1949-1950. He served on the national executive of B'nai Brith, and as their vocational service commissioner. During his term as president of the Anshe Yosher Congregation (Welland Hebrew Congregation), a new synagogue and centre was built. He was a member of the National Executive of the Canadian Jewish Congress, and served as vice-chairman of the Educational and Cultural Committee. He was also the president of the medical staff of the Welland County General Hospital and Chief of the Department of General Practice. He died in St. Catharines in 1981.
Name Access
Singer, Hyman 1908-1981
Places
Welland, Ont.
St. Catharines, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1986-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1986-9-2
Material Format
object
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
7 photographs
artifacts
Date
1908-1970
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records, graphic materials, and artifacts documenting the Shaarey Shomayim Synagogue in Fort William (Thunder Bay) and the Jewish community of Thunder Bay. The records include a brass menorah and shivisi from the Synagogue, along with a wooden tablet of the ten commandments (1920s); a marriage register (1908-1951); a minute book of the chevra kadisha (1913-1986); B'nai Brith Lodge membership registration books, minute books, a dues book, and a framed citation (1911-1970); and several photographs including the Jewish community's float for the coronation of King George VI, the turning of the sod for the new synagogue, the B'nai Brith Lodge annual picnic in Port Arthur and a meeting honouring Jewish servicemen of the Second World War, and three portraits of the Synagogue's honourary presidents.
MG_RG
MG 2 B 1ii
MG 3 B 23
Subjects
Communities
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaarey Shomayim Congregation (Thunder Bay, Ont.)
Places
Thunder Bay, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-5-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-5-6
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 badge
Date
1900-1950
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records created and collected by the Canadian Hebrew Benevolent Society. Included are an immigrant's letter book in Yiddish and English and a member badge for the Canadian Hebrew Benevolent Society
Administrative History
The Canadian Hebrew Benevolent Society was a fraternal organization, founded in 1913, whose primary objective was the provision of aid to the Jewish community
MG_RG
MG 20 B 1N
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1983-2-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1983-2-1
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
3 ribbons
Date
1939-1940
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a dues notebook which belonged to Samuel Samuels. The books contain listings in Hebrew of contributers to a building fund, entries written in Yiddish of family lifecycle events, telephone numbers and addresses with numbers in English, as well as ribbon badges for a United Palestine Appeal Committee (1939), a Ontario Zionist Regional Conference (1940), and a Canadian Jewish Congress Annual Conference (1940).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-1-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-1-9
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 button : metal ; 3 cm in diam.
Date
[19--]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a button featuring a religious scene. A bearded man is standing with his arms outstretched and an individual is kneeling before him. This is possibly a scene from the Book of Esther (Purim). Surrounding the image is either Hebrew or Yiddish text.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-9-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-9-3
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 pin
Date
[ca. 1928]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a member's pin with a ribbon and pendant celebrating the 25th jubilee of the International Ladies Garment Workers Union (ILGWU), Cloakmakers Union Toronto.
Subjects
Anniversaries
Labor unions
Name Access
International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1994-12-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1994-12-5
Material Format
object
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
Artifacts
Photographs
1 folder of textual records
Date
1884-1986
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs, textual records, and artifacts documenting the Sadowski family from Massey, Ontario. Records include family photographs, family correspondence, geneological information, and business records. Of note are photographs of the Sadowski General Store in Massey, a meal token from the store, a notebook documenting animal fur transactions (1920-1922), and a land survey of the Sadowski family property (1893).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1991-8-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1991-8-2
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 badge
Date
1937-1953
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a small book in Hebrew, a notebook with Yiddish writing and one item of genealogy information in English, the 25th Anniversary Book of the Zion Benevolent Association (1937), a pamphlet from the Montreal Life Insurance Company, and a letter to the National Trust Company (1943). As well there is a Zion Benevolent Association of Toronto members badge, a grocery bill from Traisters on Spadina (1953), and an Israel Art Calendar (1950-51).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-8-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-8-5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
6 photographs : b&w (3 negatives) ; 11 x 16 cm on matte 18 x 23 cm or smaller
1 plaque : metal, mounted in frame, gold and black ; frame measures 47 x 62 cm.
Date
1912-[ca. 1940]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of the Socol Hebrew-Yiddish School (a class picture and a school picnic in High park), and a photo of a dentist Dr. Robert Seidenberg whose mother brought Mr. Socol to Toronto. As well there is Mr. Socol's diary (1912) with a translation from Yiddish to English by Alex Korn, and a letter concerning the proposed Beyt Sefer T'Khiya. Finally, accession includes a Socol Hebrew and Yiddish School plaque. It has a gold background embossed with a pattern of leaves. There is black Yiddish lettering mounted on, and set in a glass frame with a black metal border. It reads: "Z. Socol Hebrew-Yiddishe Shule" .
Descriptive Notes
Identification is provided for the photographs
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-8-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-8-3
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
4 plaques
1 folder of textual records
Date
1966-1976
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a four plaques awarded to Sarah Levine including a 94th birthday plaque from the Government of Ontario (1970); a 100th birthday plaque from the Government of Ontario (1976); a 90th birthday plaque from Baycrest (1966); a life membership plaque from Baycrest (1973); and 3 congratulatory telegrams honouring the occasion of her 94th birthday in 1970.
Name Access
Levine, Sarah
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1995-5-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1995-5-2
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 pin
Date
[ca. 1940]-[ca. 1945]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a lapel pin worn by persons who had close relatives serving in the military during the Second World War.The maple leaf shaped pin is inscribed with " Canadian Jewish Congress Next of Kin League" and "On Active Service".
Administrative History
Rabbi Monson and Mrs.Sadie Danson originated the idea of producing the pins. This one belonged to Min Rosenfeld.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-8-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-8-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
Artifact
Date
1900
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a lodge pin from the Toronto Independent Benevolent Association dated September 20, 1900.
Name Access
Toronto Independent Benevolent Association
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1989-9-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 25 x 20 cm and 20 x 25 cm
1 folder of textual records
Date
1936-1979
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a group photo of the Post Graduate Class, Ontario College of Pharmacy and an accompanying diploma. Sam Sword and Issie Rothbart are identified. Other records include a photograph, likely of Sam Sword, wearing a Masonic apron; a letter from G.E.W. Bridge in England; a registered pharmacist's pin; Second World War service award pins, badges, and medals; and certificates documenting Sam Sword's participation in organizations such as the Grand Encampment of Florida Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Supreme Lodge Knights of Pythias (Florida), Grand Council Royal and Select Masters of State of Nevada, Grand Council Royal and Select Masters of Ontario, Grand Chapter Royal Arch Masons of Canada, and Ancient Mystic Order of Samaritans of West Virginia.
Administrative History
Sam Sword was the step-father of the donor, Marty Sheffer.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1984-5-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1984-5-7
Material Format
object
graphic material
Physical Description
1 coin
16 photographs : b&w ; 7 x 10 cm
Date
1939-1945
Scope and Content
This accession consists of one Mount Sinai Lodge A.F. & A.M. No. 522 G.R.C. 25th anniversary coin. The coin has the lodge's coat of arms on the recto and a set of tablets with the words "keep these and good fortune will be yours" on the verso.
Also included are 16 photographs of the Allied Forces (including the Canadian Army) at Bergen-Belsen in April 1945 following the liberation of the camp. Pictured are the general grounds, mass graves with sign markers, a group of (local German?) women crowded around the back of an army truck, army personnel observing and taking photographs of a deceased victim, a crematoria, and Sam Pizel (standing right) and other servicemen with a box of human ashes.
Administrative History
Sam Pizel (?-29 Sept. 2004) was married to Lily and was the brother of Irving Pizel.
Subjects
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
World War, 1939-1945
Name Access
Pizel, Sam
Bergen-Belsen
Places
Germany
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-5-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-5-3
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 pin
Date
[193-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a gold Kieltzer Sick Benefit Society pin engraved with "for not drawing ten years benefit".
Administrative History
The Kieltzer Society was organized in 1913 by a handful of immigrants from the city of Kieltz (Kielce) in Poland with the objective of creating a home away from home for themselves and the arriving new immigrants. They helped each other find jobs and accommodations, and they arranged opportunities to socialize with one another. As the Society became more established, it created a Free Loan Casa (fund). Members could borrow money for down payments on homes, starting businesses, and sending home parcels. Each member was also entitled to receive weekly sick benefits when necessary and free doctor visits.
Following the devastation of the Holocaust, there were new obligations and responsibilities for the Society. Members welcomed recently arrived immigrants from Kieltz into the Society and helped them adjust to a new life. These new members reinvigorated the Society with active participation and the organization of more social events. Once the immigrants became more settled in Toronto, the Kieltzer Society turned its efforts to strengthening the new State of Israel by raising funds, buying Israel Bonds and teaching the next generation the importance of its security. The members of the Society were awarded with pins and badges in recognition of their leadership and tzedakah. As the Kieltzer Society celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2013, it remains steadfast in its commitment to Israel and to preserving its legacy for future generations.
Name Access
Kieltzer Sick Benefit Society
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1994-11-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1994-11-3
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 pin
Date
1954
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a United Jewish Appeal 1954 campaign pin and letter and a programme for a fashion show at the 1954 Hadassah Bazaar presented by the Scopus Chapter.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-4-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-4-1
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
3 artifacts
Date
1949-1976
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the Ostrovtzer Independent Mutual Benefit Society, Young Men's Branch including meeting minutes (1971-1976), invitations and programs (1949-1968), "Hilites" bulletins (1953-1956), as well as a small amount of general correspondence and a membership list. Also included are several artifacts, including an Ostrovtzer pin, an Ostrovetzer gavel presented to Al Speisman (1962) and a Solomon J. Freedman award plaque (1952-1972).
MG_RG
MG 2 B 1LL
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-6-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-6-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
ca. 20 cm of textual and graphic material
1 notary stamp
1 plaque
Date
[189-?]-[1989?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of clippings, correspondence, invitatations and photographs reflecting the personal life and community contributions of H. Max Swartz. The records include honours, photocopied documents, newsletters, family snapshots and portraits, Swartz's notary public stamp and a small plaque from JIAS in appreciation of Swartz's contribution as president. There are also three scrapbooks containing letters, clippings and photographs.
Custodial History
The records were donated by H. Max Swartz's son Paul.
Administrative History
H. Max Swartz (1900-1989) was born and raised in Toronto, where he worked for decades as a lawyer and was a well-known leader in the community. Swartz studied law at Osgoode Hall and subsequently worked in the law firm of Nathan Phillips for six years and also helped plan Phillips's mayoral campaigns. Swartz was in his early twenties when both his parents died, and he supported his eight younger siblings, an aunt and his grandmother. Eventually he established his own law firm. He was also elected president of the Reading Law Club of the Upper Canada Law Societ (a Jewish law club). Swartz was made a member of the King's Counsel in 1948. He married Seraphine (Serry) Marshack in 1931 and together they had two sons, Paul and Myron.
Swartz's community work started early and never flagged. In 1919, he was one of the founders of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. and he served on its Board of Directors as president, chairman and then Honourary Vice President. He was a board member of the United Jewish Welfare Fund and Toronto Jewish Congress, a national executive member of Canadian Jewish Congress, and president of Toronto JIAS (Jewish Immigrant Aid Services) in 1951-1952. In the 1980s, the Jewish Community Centre set up the H. Max Swartz Leadership Development Fund in his honour, and Swartz received a commendation from the mayor of Toronto for his dedication to the preservation of historic buildings, including the Gooderham flatiron building and others in the St. Lawrence Market area of the city. H. Max Swartz died at the age of 88 in 1989.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-7-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-7-6
Material Format
object
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 poster
3 cm of textual records
Artifacts
Date
1928-[ca. 1944]
Scope and Content
This accession includes a Standard Theatre poster for the play Sheindele from Slabodke, staring Mischa and Lucy German (1928). This production was also known as Papirosn-makherin (Cigarette Maker) and Reizele from Slabodke and was staged in 1927 in the Hopkinson Theatre then in Philadelphia with Clara Young, Lucy German, and Vera Rosanka.
Also included are pages from a scrapbook with Jewish Standard editorial writings from the 1930s by Hye Bossin. Topics include life on Spadina Avenue and in Kensinton Market, Yiddish entertainers, Emma Goldman's visit to Toronto, Caplan's Cafe, athletes, and the Toronto Islands. As well, there is a metal plate for F. B. Harris, circa 1944, with an inscription on it in memory of Sgt. F. B. Harris who "died in his country's service 6 June, 1944."
Subjects
Newspapers
Theatrical posters, Yiddish
Name Access
Bossin, Hye
Goldman, Emma, 1869-1940
Harris, Fred. B.
Standard Theatre (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Kensington Market (Toronto, Ont.)
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-3-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-3-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
ca. 3 cm of textual records and other material
7 photographs b&w and col ; 20 x 25 cm or smaller
Date
1900-1979
Scope and Content
This accession consists of material documenting the donor, Carol Hamilton's grandparents, Dora and Bernard Coffler. It includes portraits of her grandparents as well as an exterior photograph of the Coffler Bedding Co., activities and 50th wedding celebration. This accession also includes: documents such as their passports, wedding certificate and identification cards; correspondence from David Croll; press clippings relating to their wedding and anniversary; an Ezras Noshem Society pin (1927); an Adath Israel Congregation Golden Jubilee Book and key chain (1952); and a Mount Sinai Hospital Auziliary 25th Anniversary Year Book.
Administrative History
Bernard and Dora Coffler arrived in Canada from Roumania in 1900 and 1901 respectively. They met in 1902 and married on 21 May 1904 in Toronto. They reportedly were the first couple to be married on a Sunday in Toronto. They had three children: Myer (1905), Goldie (1910), and Sam (1914).
The Coffler's opened up a business called Coffler Bedding Co., which was located at 391 Parliament Street.
Dora Coffler was very active in two organizations, the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire (IODE) as well as the Mount Sinai Hospital Auxiliary called the Ezras Noshem Society.
Bernard and Dora Coffler passed away in 1960 and 1971 respectively.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 7 photographs, 1 key chain, 1 pin and 1 coin.
Subjects
Weddings
Storefronts
Name Access
Coffler Bedding Co.
Adath Israel Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Mount Sinai Hospital (Toronto, Ont.)
Croll, David, 1900-1991
Ezras Noshem Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1987-5-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1987-5-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
Artifacts
Date
1949–1981
Scope and Content
Plaque given to Bobbie Rosenfeld from City of Toronto. -- 16 January 1951. -- 1 plaque : metal, book shape, mounted on lucite, col. ; 32 X 38 cm Plaque is in fair condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 19.
Plaque given to Bobbie Rosenfeld by The Canadian Press. -- 1950. -- 1 plaque : metal, golden, mounted on wood ; 28 x 38 cm. -- An image of Rosenfeld appears on the metal Plaque is in fair condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 19.
Medallion given to Bobbie Rosenfeld by the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame. -- 1981. -- 1 medallion : bronze , in wooden case ; 10 cm in diam. -- A bronze circular medallion with an engraved arm holding a torch in front of the Star of David. The wooden box has a small plaque mounted on the inside. Medallion is in good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 19.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-7-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-7-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 badge
Date
1975
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a World Jewish Congress Plenary Assembly delegate badge from 1975.
Descriptive Notes
Canadian Jewish Congress.
Joint Community Relations Committee.
Soviet Jewry.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-14
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-14
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
object
Physical Description
10 cm of textual records
1 medallion
2 coins
2 lapel pins
8 photographs
Date
1921-1971
Scope and Content
This accession consists of photographs and textual materials relating to the Shefsky and Magerman family; immigration and naturalization papers for Max and Toba Shefsky; photographs depicting the Toronto textile trade; Hungarian currency; school yearbooks from Harbord Collegiate, Toronto Normal School, Borochov School and Kindergarten, and Vaughan Road Collegiate Institute; newsclippings; and several Baycrest Centre lapel pins and coins. Also included is a photo of the Ray-Magerman wedding party (8 May 1948). The records origianlly belonged to Esther (Magerman) Ray.
Custodial History
The materials were kept by Leslie Gales, wife of Keith Ray
Administrative History
Abe Magerman was the assistant manager for the International Ladies Garment Workers' Union for many years. He was married to Jennie (nee Shefsky) Magerman and had two children, Esther and Alfred. Esther attended Toronto Normal School and Harbord Collegiate while both Esther and Alfred attended the Borochov School and Kindergarten.
Jennie (nee Shefsky) Magerman was the daughter of Myer and Toba Rayzel (nee Nusynovitch) Shefsky. The Baycrest pins and coins once belonged to her.
The donor, Keith Ray, is the son of Esther (nee Magerman) Ray and Gerald (Jerry) Ray. Gerald Ray attended Vaughan Collegiate Institute and later went on to the University of Toronto for chemical engineering
Subjects
Families
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-86
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-86
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 medal
Date
1967
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a large circular copper coloured medal enclosed in glass or acrylic. The inscription says that it was presented to Benjamin Schneider by Ben-Gurion on March 20, 1967.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-111
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-111
Material Format
textual record
object
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 pin
1 photograph : b&w ; 14 x 9 cm
Date
1915-1944
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records pertaining to the Contorowitz family including the marriage certificate of Nathan Contorowitz and Gertie Sand in Toronto, Grace Street School transfer records for their three children, and a 1940 voter registration form for Gertie Contorowitz. In addition there is a photograph of Phil Granovsky taken at Smith Bay House, Port Carling, Ontario in 1944 and an unidentified pin with Hebrew lettering inscribed "founded 1912".
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Name Access
Granovsky, Phil, 1921-1995
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Port Carling (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-85
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-85
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 passport case
Date
[ca. 1910]-1942
Scope and Content
This accession consists of the Canadian naturalization papers and passports (Russian) of Morris and Mary Rose and a record relating to Gurofsky's Steamship Agency.The passports are housed in a cloth protective case provided by the steamship company F.Missler of Bremen, Germany.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-008
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-008
Material Format
object
Physical Description
2 badges
Date
[192-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two Kieltzer Sick Benefit Society members' badges.
Subjects
Societies
Name Access
Kieltzer Sick Benefit Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-015
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-015
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
1 name plaque
1 folder of textual records
Date
1906-[193-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of an M. Gebirtig name plaque from the Beaches Hebrew Institute of Toronto. The plaque is gold and black metal. Also included is a seat deed for the McCaul Street Synagogue and a deed to plots at the McCaul Street Synagogue cemetery.
MG_RG
MG3 A3
MG3 A21
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Beach Hebrew Institute (Toronto, Ont.)
McCaul Street Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-6-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1976-6-1
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 typewriter
Date
[between 1900 and 1939]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of Shimon Nepom's folding Corona Typewriter in Yiddish, with case. Accession also includes poems handwritten in Yiddish in a 1933 journal book.
Administrative History
Shimon Nepom was a Yiddish poet, born in Elizavetgrad, Kherson in 1882 and died in Toronto in 1939. He was an author as well, and a TTC motorman.
MG_RG
MG 6 D
Subjects
Poets, Yiddish
Name Access
Nepom, Shimon, 1882-1939
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-2
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
13 objects
Textual records
Date
[190-]-1953
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material donated by Louis Danto. Included are thirteen artifacts and a small number of documents.
Artifacts include an arch covering from the early 1900s, a Torah cover, tablecloth, white bag (Torah cover?), white silk table cover, a white night shirt, a white silk table cover, a coloured table cloth, a bridge table cover, a dark green bed spread, a red silk table cloth, and a silk hat belonging to a cantor.
The documents include photocopies of the Hebrew Men of England constitution, a deed to seat for D. Cohen, a twenty-fifth anniversary synagogue for Hebrew Men of England, and a Bais Yehuda bulletin.
MG_RG
MG3 A15
MG3 A18
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-30
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1977-8-30
Material Format
graphic material
object
Physical Description
2 artifacts
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 10 x 12 cm
Date
[190-]-[193-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a Jewish National Fund charity box and a copy photograph of a funeral somewhere in Europe in the early 1900s. A photocopy of the information written in Yiddish on the back of the original photograph is included in the accession file.
Jewish National Fund charity box. -- 1 charity box : metal, blue and yellow ; 12.5 x 9.5 x 4.5 cm. -- Manufacturer: Gersonwerk (made in Germany). -- A blue metal charity box with a gold star of david on the center of the back. On the front, an old JNF logo with a star of david underneath it. Under the star of david is Hebrew that reads: Keren Kayemeth L'Israel. It is in poor condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 11.
Charity for Jerusalem charity box. -- 1 charity box : metal, orange and black ; 10 x 8.5 x 4 cm. -- Manufacturer: Knesseth Israel Inc. The box is in poor condition. It is rusted and scratched. Current location: PacArt, Box 11.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1978-7-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1978-7-6
Material Format
object
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 document
2 artifacts
8 photographs : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm and 9 x 7 cm
Date
[between 1939 and 1944]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs taken in the Lodz Ghetto during the Second World War, including images of Mordechai Chaim Rumkowski, chairman, and other members of the Judenrat (Jewish Council). Also included is an invitation to Rumkowski's wedding to Regina Wajnberger (Weinberger) from 27 Dec. 1941 and two Lodz Ghetto coins from 1943.
Subjects
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
Name Access
Fogel, Morris
Places
Lodz, Poland
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1978-12-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1978-12-3
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
Artifacts
1 folder of textual records
Date
1897–1940
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a linen passport folder from the Holland America Line and family documents of the Sher-Brody family including ketubas, a birth certificate, and a certificate of Canadian naturalization.
MG_RG
MG 6 K
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-2-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-2-3
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 object : brass ; 30 x 23 cm
Date
[ca. 1885]
Scope and Content
A brass candy making machine with a square base and levers. Two cranks with large handles and 9 molds in various shapes and patterns In good condition. Some moulds are maintained better than others.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1980-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1980-9-2
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
30 photographs : b&w
1 pin
Date
1940-1982
Scope and Content
Accession includes a printed notice of a meeting at Shaarei Tzedec synagogue (1945) and material associated with Habonim (Labor Zionist Youth). Included is an insignia pin, concert programmes, and an organizing committee planning binder for a 1983 Habonim reunion. Also included are photographs of the Dashkin family, Camp Kvutza, and the Hechalutz Hachshara farm in Grimsby, Ontario.
MG_RG
MG 6 E-6
MG 2 J 1P
MG 3 A 36
Name Access
Beckerman, Miriam
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-12-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1981-12-4
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 plaques
Date
1 Jan. 1931
Scope and Content
Included in this accession is a Jewish National Fund certificate given to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Steinberg of Sudbury, Ontario on the occasion of their 15th wedding anniversary on 1 Jan. 1931. There are also four plaques.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-2-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-2-3
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 key
Date
1921
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a gold key presented on 18 September 1921 to Fred and Sophie Torno at the opening of the Eastern Children of Israel Congregation, popularly known as the Berkeley Street Synagogue.
Descriptive Notes
B'nai Israel Hamizrachim.
MG_RG
MG 3 A 43
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Eastern Children of Israel Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Berkeley Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1984-2-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1984-2-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
2 bages
1 pin
Date
[192-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a Queen Esther Rebekah Lodge number 257 IOOF badge and pin, and a Sunnyside Lodge number 449 IOOF badge.
Administrative History
The artifacts belonged to Lena Sprachman and Jacob Sprachman.
MG_RG
MG 20 B 1H
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-8-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1985-8-2
Material Format
object
Physical Description
3 glass jars
2 costumes
Date
1891-1985
Scope and Content
This accession consists of glass jars from the Toronto Hebrew Butter Dealers association, and two costumes made by the C.E. Ward Co. Both costumes are identical in design but one is black with yellow embroidery and one is red with yellow embroidery. Their design is a long jacket with buttons on the back and two pant legs with elastics at the top to hold them in place. In the centre of the jacket is a moose surrounded by a circle/sun shape. It is speculated that these costumes were used at the Standard Theatre, a Yiddish theatre, at Spadina Ave. and Dundas St. W., but this is not certain.
Also included are three glass jars from the Toronto Hebrew Butter Dealers Association. The jars are 7 cm in diam. x 10 cm in height and have a star of david, the name of the company and the price of the jar (5 cents) embossed on it.
Administrative History
C.E. Ward Co. is a clothing company founded in 1891 which specializes in uniforms and costumes for lodges, bands, and religious organizations. Based in New London, Ohio, the founder of the company was Clyde E. Ward. The company still operates under the name New London Regalia.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1986-7-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1986-7-6
Material Format
graphic material
object
Physical Description
Artifacts
Photographs
Scope and Content
Accession consists of Harris and Shayne Family photographs and two pins: one pin of five military medals awarded to Sgt. Fred Harris for his service in the Second World War; and a 'G R' metal pin with a cross medal awarded to Sgt. Fred Harris for his service in the Second World War.
Administrative History
Sgt. Fred Harris, born in Toronto in 1921, became a member of the reserve army and volunteered for active service upon the outbreak of the Second World War. He was reported killed in action in France on D-Day, June 6, 1944. He is buried in the Canadian Military Cemetery in France. Jack Harris is the son of Dr. William Harris and the brother of Fred Harris.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1987-4-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1987-4-2
Material Format
object
Physical Description
Artifacts
Date
[ca. 1950]
Scope and Content
Travel trunk. -- [ca. 1900s]. -- 1 trunk : wood and metal, light brown ; 49 x 99 x 56 cm. -- A trunk with metal fastenings at the front and handles on the sides. Old and worn stickers are on the outside. Trunk is in rather poor condition. Current location: PacArt.
Administrative History
This trunk was brought over by a member of the Driels family on The Empress of France on the Canadian Pacific line that set sail on January 2, 1950. It stopped in Halifax and Toronto was its final destination. The trunk belonged to the sole surviving member of the family, who was the brother of Mrs. Hodes-Gilbert of Toronto. The family perished in the Holocaust and the brother immigrated from Lodz to settle with his sister. The trunk was found in the basement of the Driels former home on Cranbrooke Ave. by the Bernard family, the current owners, and was subsequently donated to the OJA. Mrs. Hodes-Gilbert was then contacted by the Archives and informed about the discovery.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-1-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1988-1-4
Material Format
object
Physical Description
Artifacts
Scope and Content
Tefillin Bags (5). -- see below. -- 1. (20.5 x 17 cm) - A plain red velvet tefillin bag with brown elastic string at the top to tie shut. A paif of tefillin inside this one. 2. (23.5 x 20 cm) - Black velvet, pin and white flowers embroidered with green stems and white Hebrew writing. One the other side is a pink Star of David. Very poor condition. 3.(24 x 18.5) - Blue velvet bag with yellow and pink stitched flowers and Hebrew writing. 4. (19 x 14 cm ) - Blue crushed velvet back with yellow and beige stitched leaves and Hebrew writing. 5. (25.5 x 18.5 cm ) - Green crushed velvet with yellow stitching and gold tassels hanging off bottom . fair or poor condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 41.
Tallit. -- 196 x 111 cm. -- White silk garment, black strips at shorter edges, a band of silver Stars of David at the bottom edge and white, long tassels hang off the two short edges. good condition. Current location: PacArt, Box 41.
Subjects
Tallitot (Jewish liturgical objects)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1991-10-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1991-10-7
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 compass
Date
[between 1838 and 1850]
Scope and Content
The accession consists of one surveyor's compass, which is a surveyor's tool for measuring angles used during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The object is signed by Judah Joseph, the individual who created this device. It is suspected that there are only four (potentially less) signed artifacts by Joseph (one of which resides at the Museum of Visual Science and Optomitry in Waterloo, ON), making this one quite unique and rare.
Custodial History
Object was purchased from William Daniels in 1991 for $5500. The funds were donated by Fred Schaeffer and Nancy Draper through a UJWF grant through the Endowment Fund
Administrative History
Judah Joseph was one of the first Jewish settlers in Toronto. He was also the first purveyor of optical and mathematical instruments in Toronto. He was born in Exeter, England in 1798 and received his training in the Channel Islands. He emigrated to the U.S. in 1820 and set himself up as an optician and Jeweller in Cincinati. He moved to Hamilton, and soonafter to Toronto during the 1830s. He opened his shop at 56 King Street East in Toronto in 1838. He specialized in spectacles, mathematical instruments, jewellery, watches, silverware and other equipment that he could make or repair.
Judah Joseph was a member of the Toronto Hebrew Congregation and was a founder of the first Jewish cemetery in the city, which was located on Pape Avenue. He was buried there in 1857.
A surveying compass (also known as a circumferentor) like this one is the precursor to the theodolite which evolved in the early 1800s.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1993-1-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1993-1-3
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
11 artifacts
1.2 m of textual records
Date
[19--?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the work of Rabbi Nachman Shemen.
Use Conditions
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Accessions
144 records – page 1 of 3.

Narrow By

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content