Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
284 records – page 1 of 6.
Accession Number
2010-10-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-7
Material Format
architectural drawing (electronic)
graphic material (electronic)
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
3 compact discs
Date
1976-2008
Scope and Content
This accession consists of three CDs containing 1. The original plans created by Jerome Markson for the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre along with relevant photographs and documents. These records were created between 1976 and 1984 and were digitized in 2007. 2. The mechanical as-builts for the Lipa Green Centre's Family Pavillion, created in 2008. 3. The drawings and specs issued for construction of the Lipa Green Centre's Family Pavillion created in May 2008.
Custodial History
The discs were in the possession of Stephanie Olin Chapman, Facilities Developer for the UJA Federation's Tomorrow Campaign.They were loaned to the Archives for copying and returned on Oct. 28, 2010.
Administrative History
UJA Federation's Tomorrow Campaign is Canada’s largest non-profit community development project. It is Federation's response to the need for new facilities and services brought about by the growth of Toronto’s Jewish community. The Tomorrow Campaign is mandated with the fundraising and creation of three campuses for Jewish life in the GTA. The Downtown District, serving Toronto's growing Jewish population in the city core, is anchored by the new Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre at Bloor & Spadina and the Wolfond Centre for Jewish Campus Life at Harbord & Huron. The new Sherman Campus, on Bathurst north of Sheppard, will include the new Prosserman Family Jewish Community Centre, where the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre is currently located, a new Koffler Centre for the Arts, a new National Centre for Jewish Heritage including the Canadian Jewish Musuem, the Neuberger Holocaust Education Centre and a renovated Lipa Green Building for Jewish Community Services. The Lebovic Jewish Community Campus, at Bathurst & Weldrick north of Rutherford, is designed to provide programs and services for York Region's Jewish community of 60,000 - the fastest growing in Canada. The Lebovic Campus will be highlighted by the Kimel Family Education Centre, housing the northern branch of the Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto (CHAT); the Schwartz-Reisman Centre offering recreational, educational, cultural, social and fitness facilities; community services; a United Synagogue Day School and other schools as well.
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-1-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-1-7
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
Date
2003-2009
Scope and Content
Accession consists of recrods related to UJA's Tomorrow Campaign. Documented is the Central and Lebovic campus facilities including the United Synagogue Day School at Lebovic, the Central Campus Cultural facility plans such as the Canadian Jewish Museum, She'arim, and the Lebovic Campus Educational Committee. Records include reports (including the Lord Consulting Cultural report), meeting minutes, correspondence, business plans and other planning documents.
Custodial History
Records were in the possession of Shirley Worth, director of donor development at UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-1-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-1-8
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Physical Description
12 cm of textual records
11 architectural drawings : col.
Date
1997-2008
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material from the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto executive committee regarding meetings and retreats, an annual report from 2006/2007, and a budget report from 2007/2008. Accession also consists of other brochures and folders containing information related to the Jewish Toronto Tomorrow campaign, including information about the Downtown Jewish Day School, a "live generously" brochure, a brochure from the 2008 Words & Deeds leadership award dinner, and "York Region campus conceptual master plan" from 2008. Also included is an organization plan for 750 Spadina Avenue from 1997, proposed architectural drawings for Sherman campus from December 2011, as well as a report presented to the Canadian Council for Israel and Jewish advocacy in 2006.
Custodial History
Records were transferred to the archives by Ted Sokolsky, President and CEO of UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-2-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-2-7
Material Format
architectural drawing
sound recording
textual record
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings
2 mini DV cassettes
1 folder of textual records
Date
2007-2009
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 2 mini DV cassettes dated Nov. 26, 2007 from the UJA Annual General Meeting and material from the board of directors meetings and nominations 2008-2009. Also included are architectural plans for Sherman Campus.
Custodial History
Records were transfered to the Archives by Jeff Springer, Senior VP of Corporate Affairs, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-2-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-2-5
Material Format
architectural drawing
Physical Description
104 architectural drawings : some reproductions
9 architectural drawings : blueprints
Date
1975-1976
Scope and Content
Accession consists of architectural drawings for the Lipa Green building, Koffler Centre, and the Leah Posluns Theatre under the Y.M.H.A. Completion Program (Toronto).
Custodial History
Records were transferred to the Archives by Andrea Gaichuk of the Construction and Development Office, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-9-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-9-3
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
architectural drawing (electronic)
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
ca. 30 photographs (tiff)
ca. 15 architectural drawings (tiff)
3 textual records (pdf)
Date
[1945?]-[ca. 1990]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs and architectural drawings documenting Jaime Levy-Bencheton's architectural career in Ontario and Morocco. The bulk of the material relates to projects Levy-Bencheton designed while working for the Government of Ontario including: a greenhouse for the Ontario Science Centre, OPP Headquarters building in London, ON, Rideau Correctional Centre, and Chestnut Hill (Southwestern Ontario regional archaeological office). Also included are architectutal drawings and photographs related to Levy-Bencheton's private practices in Morocco and Toronto and work for architect Martin Mendelow.
Administrative History
Jaime Levy-Bencheton was born on July 6, 1918 in Casablanca, Morocco. Jaime started a private architectural practice in Morocco in 1945. He immigrated to Canada in 1963 and initially found work with the architect Martin Mendelow. In 1965, he started working for the Government of Ontario's Department of Public Works as a draftsman. Starting in 1969, he worked for the Ministry of Government Services as an architectural job captain until his retirement in 1985. During his career Levy-Bencheton specialized in designing facilities for the handicapped and worked on a variety of buildings across Ontario including, industrial, institutional, and office use buildings. In his retirement, Levy-Bencheton became devoted to the study of the Bible and creating Jewish religious art.
Subjects
Architects
Occupations
Name Access
Levy-Bencheton, Jaime, 1918-
Places
Casablanca, Morocco
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-6-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-6-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
2 photographs : b&w ; 35 x 28 cm and 35 x 21 cm
5 architectural drawings : blueprint, blackline and pencil
Date
1921-1988, predominant 1944-1954
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the community involvement of Aaron Shiffman and his father Hymie Shiffman. The bulk of the records relate to Hamilton's Grand Order of Israel, the first GOI lodge organized in Canada. These records include meeting minutes and agendas, bulletins, card notices sent out to the membership, membership applications, correspondence sent and received, financial reports, resolutions, membership and attendance lists, doctor's certificates for membership, installation ritual procedural manuals, the constitution and by-laws, a financial ledger book for the GOI cemetery board, and cemetery plans for the GOI cemeteries in Burlington.
Also included are various records related to the Jewish community of Hamilton and its institutions, as well as items collected by Aaron Shiffman. This includes dedication books for the Jacob N. Goldblatt Memorial Building Hamilton Jewish Community Centre, and for the Temple Anshe Sholom Synagogue; Hamilton Hadassah yearbooks for 1947 and 1948; reports and meeting minutes of the Council of Jewish Organizations (Hamilton); meeting minutes of the Agudas Achim Anshe Sfard Congregation (Hamilton); a Prayer and Thanksgiving pamphlet on the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II; an H. Shiffman business card; a McCaul Street Synagogue (Toronto) book of remembrance; Second World War food and gasoline ration books; a Beth Jacob Synagogue tour pamphlet (Hamilton); records related to the marriage of Bessie Kramer to Jack Gold and the naturalization of her father, Koppel Kreimer; poetry in Yiddish written by an unknown author; a printed card of the Israeli National Anthem; a Beth David cemetery map; a Jewish National Worker's Alliance payment reminder notice; and a 1940 letter written in French by a man named Elio to a woman named Chaindel asking her to intervene on his behalf. The author of the letter may be in a prison camp.
Finally, there are two photographs: a group photo of an Adas Israel Loan Society banquet and an unidentified photograph of a celebratory parade, (perhaps for the Balfour declaration) taken at an unknown location.
Administrative History
Aaron Shiffman (1930-) was born in Hamilton on 6 June 1930 to Hymie and Jenny Shiffman. Hymie immigrated from Poland in 1925, followed by Jenny around 1926. He first worked as a junk peddler. Aaron married Sheila Herzig (16 June 1940, Montreal-14 July 1999, Hamilton) on 2 Sept. 1968. They had three children; Nechemiah, Zev, and Yaffa. Aaron was a bookkeeper by profession and teacher at the Talmud Torah. He held executive positions with a number of organizations including the Grand Order of Israel, Adas Israel Synagogue, the Ohav Zedeck (Hess Street) Synagogue, the Ferguson Avenue Shul, the Chevra Kadisha of Hamilton and region, and the Hamilton Talmud Torah. Sheila was a teacher at the Hamilton Hebrew Academy elementary day school and was on the executive of Emunah Women.
Name Access
Shiffman, Aaron, 1930-2019
Grand Order of Israel (Hamilton, Ont.)
Places
Hamilton (Ont.)
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-14
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-14
Material Format
architectural drawing
Physical Description
1 drawing : pencil ; 46 x 43 cm
Date
[ca. 1911]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a demonstration drawing by architect Benjamin Brown of a synagogue, that bears some resemblance to a later design proposal for Beth Jacob Synagogue. The drawing is of the synagogue's facade. This drawing was likely done when Brown was a student at the University of Toronto, School of Practical Science.
Custodial History
This drawing was part of the larger Benjamin Brown collection, but was not part of the original donation in 1987. It was framed and hanging in Jay Levine's office for many years.
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Name Access
Brown, Benjamin
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-9
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Physical Description
1.3 m of textual records
ca. 50 architectural drawings
Date
1974-2016
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities, programs and governance of Shaar Shalom Synagogue. Included are financial statements, meeting minutes, by-laws, brochures, architectural drawings, reports, membership lists, forms filled in by participants in life cycle events (such as weddings and conversions), holiday bulletins, invitations, speeches, Yizkor booklets, office manuals and correspondence. Of note is a land title document from 1981.
Administrative History
Shaar Shalom Synagogue was a conservative synagogue in Markham founded in 1972. The synagogue closed in 2016.
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaar Shalom Synagogue (Markham, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-7-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-7-11
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Physical Description
ca. 6 m textual records and graphic material
ca. 20 architectural drawings
Date
1972-2016
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities, programs and governance of Shaar Shalom Synagogue. Included are financial records, meeting minutes and agendas, architectural drawings, general administrative files, and photographs.
Administrative History
Shaar Shalom Synagogue was a conservative synagogue in Markham founded in 1972. The synagogue closed in 2016.`
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaar Shalom Synagogue (Markham, Ont.)
Places
Markham, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2019-2-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2019-2-4
Material Format
graphic material
architectural drawing
sound recording
Physical Description
ca.15 cm of textual records 5 DVD
Date
2002-2011
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material created or accumulated by Vice President, Strategic Community Planning and Engagement Robin Gofine during her time at UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. Through her position with the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, Robin Gofine was involved in numerous project proposals. The following are documented in this accession: Sorel Etrog Central Square, Dubi Wall Mural, UJA Arts and Culture Mission, Jewish Museum of Toronto, Vaughan Campus, Central Campus Redevelopment, Centre for Canadian Jewish Heritage and Culture, and Sherman Campus.
Subjects
Charities
Name Access
Gofine, Robin
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
House Committee sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 38; Series 7-10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
House Committee sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
38
Series
7-10
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1961-[198-?]
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
37 photographs
2 artistic drawings : 52 x 53 cm or smaller
13 architectural drawings : 92 x 60 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Toronto Section's executive historically incorporated five or six vice-presidents, each in charge of a portfolio made up of a group of related committees. In 1963, Toronto Section moved to a new Council House at 4700 Bathurst Street.
Scope and Content
Sub-series includes drawings, photographs, minutes, contracts and correspondence relating to the builiding's construction and later renovations.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Folks Farein fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 105
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Folks Farein fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
105
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1914-1977
Physical Description
3.07 m of textual records
110 photographs : b&w and col. (hand-tinted) ; 51 x 41 cm or smaller
6 architectural drawings : 70 x 36 or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Folks Farein, also known as the Hebrew National Association, was established in 1914 by a group of Toronto Jewish immigrants as a society dedicated to anti-missionary and educational outreach. They were first located at 23 Cecil Street and moved to 37 Cecil Street around 1940.
In the early years of the Folks Farein's existence, Christian missions and a number of Jewish converts to Christianity sought to exploit the situation of poor Jews in the community through the distribution of direct relief, services of doctors and midwives and by street-corner preaching and proselytizing. To counteract the work of the Toronto missionaries the Folks Farein offered a number of services including welfare for working mothers, a reading room, English language classes and translation services for Yiddish immigrants.
When the threat from missionary activity was no longer an issue, the Folks Farein transformed itself into a philanthropic society. Under its revised mandate the society looked after the sick and needy in hospitals, sanatoriums, mental health institutions and in their homes, and arranged for free doctor services, translation services, medicine, dentures, eyeglasses, orthopedic shoes and medical appliances. The Folks Farein guaranteed the full or partial payment of medical bills by maintaining a fund in several hospitals for the benefit of Jewish patients in need of assistance. They provided assistance to seniors applying for old age pensions, to widows and mothers applying for benefits, assisted needy families and patients with kosher meals, provided cash relief during Passover, and fed and billeted the unemployed and homeless at their premises at 37 Cecil Street.
In the course of their work, the Folks Farein collaborated with many Jewish organizations and societies such as the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society, Jewish Family Welfare Bureau, Relief Unemployment Fund, Jewish Joint Application Bureau, Jewish Children's Bureau, the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto, Canadian Jewish Congress and the Toronto Hebrew Free Loan Association.
Its basis of revenue came from its large membership, house-to-house contributions from the public and from special events such as its annual ball, Moes Chittin campaign, Purim ball, and beauty contests.
In addition to its regular activities the Folks Farein assumed responsibility for providing aid to refugees of the Second World War: the first group arriving from Europe in 1945 and in 1948 to a group of Jewish tailors liberated from the DP camps of Germany. In 1947, the Folks Farein established Hachnoses Orchim, a temporary shelter to accommodate refugees and displaced persons. The shelter was located at 37 Cecil Street.
The Folks Farein's first officers were Mr. J. Graner (president), Mr. J. Meisniker (vice-president), Mr. Meyer Littner (superintendent), Chuna Mosoff and Mr. W. Welman (trustees), Miss Weiner and Mr. Cohen (board of education), Mr. A. Kaminsky (recording secretary) and Mr. Cohen (treasurer). Mr. Epstein referred to as "Grandfather" was one of the founders of the Folks Farein.
Other pioneers included Moshe Oelbaum, and M. Spiegel (1st vice-president), J. Hurwitz (1st vice-president and president), Abraham Sher, S.M. Shapiro Shlesinger, Joseph Grenner, Mrs. Minna Winter (president of the Women's Auxiliary) and Kalman Wagner. In 1930, David Green assumed the position of president of the Folks Farein and served as its exclusive president from 1934 until his passing on 13 May 1977. Sam Cohen was then elected the new president of the Folks Farein.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the Folks Farein's philanthropic activities in the Toronto Jewish community from 1914 to 1977. Records include meeting minutes and agendas of the executive board and committees, resolutions of board of directors, newspaper clippings in both Yiddish and English, publicity material, photographs, general correspondence, architectural drawings, cemetery deeds, legal documents, records relating to David Green's personal interests, financial and fundraising records, wills and bequests, and client case files. The records have been arranged into nine series: Meeting minutes; Scrapbooks; Executive services; Celebrations and events; Building and operations; David Green; Finance and fundraising; and Case files.
Notes
Formerly cited as MG2 O1N.
Name Access
Folks Farein
Hebrew National Association (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Charities
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Folks Farein fonds
Services series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 105; Series 4; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Folks Farein fonds
Services series
Level
File
Fonds
105
Series
4
File
8
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[197-]
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File consists drawings of the Bathurst Lawn Cemetery.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Folks Farein fonds
Services series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 105; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Folks Farein fonds
Services series
Level
Series
Fonds
105
Series
4
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
textual record
Date
1940-1974
Physical Description
12 cm of textual records
76 photographs
6 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
Series consists of records of Folks Farein services offered to the community. Of note are Bathurst Lawn architectural drawings, cemetery deeds and delegates, resolution of the board of directors, the notification of registration as a charitable organization, the United Jewish Refugee and War Relief Agencies report of meeting held on January 5, 1945. There are also several photographs depicting Passover dinners and volunteer service performed by various Folks Farein volunteers at Ontario hospitals.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-1; File 134
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-1
File
134
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1959]
Physical Description
3 drawings : perspective and sketch ; 40 x 53 cm folded to 18 x 22 cm
Scope and Content
This file consists of three architectural drawings of the Samuel Godfrey auditorium. They are bound together on one edge.
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-1; File 154
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-1
File
154
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1952-1953
Physical Description
1 cm of textual records
2 drawings : proposals ; 44 x 39 cm folded to 23 x 21 cm
Scope and Content
This file contains financial records, correspondence and meeting minutes pertaining to the decorations, kitchen and cultural committees, all which operated under the mandate of the Women's Committee. There are also two architectural proposals for the layout of a basement lounge.
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-3; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-3
File
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1958-1960
Physical Description
22 drawings : technical and detail ; 77 x 107 cm folded to 33 x 26 or smaller
Scope and Content
This file contains twenty-two architectural drawings of the northern Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. building, created by W. Sefton & Associates Ltd. Consulting Engineers and Gordon S. Adamson & Associates Architects. The drawings detail the facilities and grounds, including the shower rooms, the fire alarm system, the swimming pool, and aspects of the building's foundation and masonry. The drawings are to scale.
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 2-2; File 93
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
2-2
File
93
Material Format
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1956-1968
Physical Description
65 photographs : b&w (17 negatives ) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
1 drawing : proposal ; 21 x 36 cm
Scope and Content
This file consists of photographs taken during the construction of the northern Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. branch. Included are images of the surrounding land and river and some images of the completed building and parking lot. There are also some photographic copies of artistic renderings of the interior of the building, photographs of individuals looking at architectural plans and drawings of the new building -- including the visiting Israeli tennis team -- and a copy drawing of the original architectural proposal. There are also some images of the Building Committee and a fundraising meeting at the home of Sam Granatstein.
Identified individuals include Ben Shore, Dorothy Shore, Stephen Shore, John Shore, Percy Hermant, Gordon A. Adamson (architect), Lou Posluns, Sam Granatstein, Paul Granatstein, Alex Fisher, E. I. Shapiro, Ralph Fisher, H. Max Swartz, Bert Fine, Florence Hutner, Harvey Blackstein, Louis Posluns, John Fienberg and Stephen Berger.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-3; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-3
File
4
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1981
Physical Description
1 cm of textual records (1 v.)
8 drawings : proposal ; 28 x 43 cm folded to 28 x 22 cm
Scope and Content
This file consists of a study conducted by A.J. Diamond & Partners, Architects & Planners and A.J. Vermeulen, Quantity Surveyor on the feasibility of modifying the Bloor building to accommodate the new demands made on the athletic, school and community space. The study includes information on demographics of the surrounding area, program analysis and renovation/addition options. There are eight accompanying drawings of the proposed modifications, prepared by the architects.
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Amalgamated Dawes Road Trustees fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 63
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Amalgamated Dawes Road Trustees fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
63
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1950-1978
Physical Description
1.2 m of textual records and architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
The Amalgamated Dawes Road Trustees (ADRT) is a non-profit body that was established in 1950. Its primary mandate has been to oversee and maintain the Jewish cemetery located at Dawes Road, which was established around 1903. This has involved maintaining the grounds, fixing and straightening monuments, and beautifying the surroundings. All funds that they receive are spent on the maintenance of the cemetery. In 1953, the ADRT took over responsibility for the Jones Avenue cemetery as well, at the request of Beth Tzedec Congregation after the merger of its two predecessor congregations who owned the two cemeteries.
Previously, ADRT reported to the Canadian Jewish Congress, however, was an autonomous entity with independent decision-making powers. The Trustees that run it are drawn from the congregations and societies who own plots at these two cemeteries. During the early years, there were also representatives from the CJC and the United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto.
In 1950, there were 34 groups that possessed cemetery plots, and today, there are 51. Some of the larger and more prominent ones include Beth Tzedec, Temple Sinai, Beth Emeth, Beth David, the Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society, the United Jewish People's Order and the Keltzer Sick Benefit Society. The ADRT office was originally located at 150 Beverley Street. It later relocated to 3169 St. Clair Avenue East, closer to the cemetery.
Custodial History
The records appear to have been donated by Kurt Kramer, Administrative Secretary for the Amalgamated Dawes Road Trustees.
Scope and Content
The records in this fonds were produced by the ADRT and support their activities. They include legal documents, correspondence, meeting agendas and minutes, perpetual care trusts, auditor reports, interment information, burial certificates, foundation documents, burial charts and a small number of blueprints.
Notes
Associated material note: the Canadian Jewish Genealogical Society of Toronto has produced a database for the burial records and has placed 13,000 entries from the Dawes Road cemetery on the Jewish Gen JOBR Web site.
Name Access
Amalgamated Dawes Road Trustees
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Physical Condition
Much of the correspondence is brittle and flaking.
Creator
Amalgamatied Dawes Road Trustees (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
2005-2-5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hillel Foundation, University of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 65
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hillel Foundation, University of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
65
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1945-1988
Physical Description
3.72 m of textual records, graphic material and architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
The B’nai Brith Hillel Foundation was founded at the University of Illinois in 1923 by Rabbi Benjamin Frankel. The University of Toronto chapter was established in 1946, by which point there were over one thousand Jewish undergraduates at the university. Hillel’s mandate was to foster students’ Jewish identity, creating a religious, cultural, and communal environment and coordinating the activities of many affiliated sub-groups. Hillel was supported by the B’nai Brith Foundation and the United Jewish Welfare Fund (later the Toronto Jewish Congress), with increasing operational funding from the latter as the decades passed.
Hillel’s predecessor at the University of Toronto was the Menorah Society, founded in 1917 and disbanded in 1931 due to waning interest. In 1944 the Jewish Student Fellowship was formed, and on January 23, 1946 it was transformed into the University of Toronto B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation.
Hillel chapters were run with the guidance of a professional appointed by the B’nai Brith Hillel Foundations at American and Canadian Universities. During the period covered by this fonds, U of T Hillel had four directors: Rabbi Aaron Kamerling (director 1946-1970), Rabbi Eliyahu Eliezri (1970-1971), Ben Mayer (1971-1978), and Gerry Fisher (1978-1981). The director answered to a board of advisors, drawn from the university and Jewish communities, that was responsible for maintaining Hillel House, overseeing staffing, and representing the foundation to the public. Early chairmen of this board included Edward E. Gelber, Jack D. Pearlstein, Cyril Houser, Dr. Alexander Lipson, Sidney Midanik, and E. M. Sprackman.
At the day-to-day operations level, Hillel was run by an elected council of thirteen students under the director’s guidance. At U of T, the Hillel student council created and implemented a yearly program, edited the literary magazine and Hillelite bulletin, and over the years maintained the following standing committees: religious; cultural; house; social; publicity; art, music and drama; United Jewish Appeal; debates; membership; and seminar. The council met monthly and was required to call general meetings bi-monthly.
Hillel’s first administrative offices were at 492 Spadina Avenue, with programs held in various locations, including the B’nai Brith Youth Organization space at 750 Spadina Avenue, and local synagogues. From the beginning, Hillel joined forces with the B’nai Brith Youth Organization to raise funds for a permanent home on campus for Hillel. Programs in the early years included Shabbat services and lectures, arts performances, dances, personal counseling, and courses such as Jewish literature and Hebrew. Three times a year Hillel published the Scribe, a literary magazine addressing topics of Jewish heritage, life, and prominent figures. This was replaced in the 1950s by an annual magazine named Reflections. The Hillelite bulletin informed members of activities and events. Hillel continued to build the Judaica collection of its Norman Raitblat Memorial Library. It also sent delegates each year to the Hillel Summer Institute in New York State; the Brandeis Camp Institute, a leadership training program sponsored by the American Zionist Youth Commission; and, beginning in 1948, the Inter-Hillel Conference, which was hosted alternately by Queen’s University, McGill University, and U of T.
In 1950, Hillel acquired a house at 186 St. George Street. Hillel House was formally dedicated at Convocation Hall on January 21, 1951. In December 1977 Hillel House was destroyed by fire, after which its offices were moved to space in the YMHA building at Bloor and Spadina. Programs were hosted for several years at ‘The Lower East Side’ in the Newman Centre at 89 St. George Street. In June 1979 Hillel acquired office space in a house at 604 Spadina Avenue.
In the 1970s Hillel’s numbers across North America were in decline. In 1974 the Jewish student population at U of T was approximately 3000, but only 400 were registered members. This slump was apparently reversed by the end of the decade, however, when student interest grew enough that a general council of forty students was established to supplement the elected student council (steering committee). 1970s programs included conventions and retreats, United Jewish Appeal fundraising campaigns, a Shabbat co-op, a choir, the Coffeehouse lounge, a film series, a music club, a library society, an annual Purim Bash, an art festival, and counseling groups.
Hillel also served as the voice of Jewish students at the university. The U of T chapter participated in the fight against quotas for Jewish students and faculty, advocated for kosher food availability on campus, and was successful in persuading the university to avoid having examinations on Jewish holidays. In addition, Hillel often represented the views of the Jewish community to the general student population. It has been involved in the dissemination of Holocaust awareness material and in counteracting propaganda against Israel.
In 1970, partnering with the Jewish Student Federation of York University, Hillel established the Free Jewish University. Its courses were held on the U of T and York campuses and featured free courses covering a range of intellectual, personal and practical topics. Also in conjunction with York, Hillel published Or monthly newspaper and the Masada quarterly magazine. The latter evolved into a non-partisan newspaper, Migdal, which in turn became Images in the early 1980s. In addition, the Jewish Students’ Enquirer was published monthly, a joint publication of Jewish students at U of T, York University, Ryerson Polytechnical Institute, and Seneca College.
In 1978, with a view to modernize and reinvigorate its image, Hillel changed its name to the Jewish Students’ Union–B’nai Brith Hillel. The decision involved some contention with the Hillel advisory board, and reflected a closer association with the Toronto Jewish Congress. A third unofficial organization name, J.U.S.T. (Jewish University Students of Toronto), was used for the monthly newsletter, J.U.S.T. News. This newsletter was briefly renamed The Rolling Scribe before being discontinued in 1980.
The 1980s saw Hillel coordinating the efforts and activities of a large number of interest groups: Student United Jewish Appeal, Toronto Student Zionists, Student Struggle for Soviet Jewry, Jewish Residence Council, Jewish Studies Course Union, Student Mobilization for Jews in Arab Lands, Moadon Aliyah, Canadian Branch: North American Jewish Students Network, and Israeli Students Organization. Hillel is now represented on three Toronto universities and three college campuses.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists mainly of textual records created, received and maintained by Hillel directors from 1945 through 1988. The records document the directors’ administration and programming activities, Hillel events, and relations with outside organizations. The most concentrated set of records are those of Rabbi Kamerling from the 1940s and 1950s. The fonds is comprised of correspondence, memoranda, reports, newspapers and newsletters, publicity material, calendars of events, financial records, event programmes, and catalogues. There are blueprints of the proposed extension to Hillel House in the 1960s, the mid-1970s renovations, and the new Hillel House on Huron Street considered in 1978. The fonds also includes annual reports for 1953-1955 and 1960-1970, and a number of publications (incomplete sets): the Hillelite and the Hillel Scribe from the 1940s, the J.U.S.T. (Jewish University Students of Toronto) News, its successor The Rolling Scroll, and newspapers Masada, Migdal, Reflections, Or, and the Jewish Students’ Enquirer.
The fonds contains 130 photographs, predominantly black and white, in the form of prints, contact sheets and 35mm negatives. Aside from 32 head shots of speakers and performers from 1950s events, the photographs date from the 1970s. There are images of plays, meetings, special events, and executive members.
Fonds is arranged with each director’s files separate and in approximate alphabetical order by file name. The files are loosely based on subject/function, likely as they were originally created. Rabbi Kamerling’s records are in two groups since they were acquired in two accessions (see note below).
Name Access
B'nai Brith Hillel Foundation at the University of Toronto (Toronto, Ont.)
Related Material
See MG 9 for a more complete run of publications with which Hillel was involved (eg. Midgal, Images).
Arrangement
Processing of the collection maintained each director’s files separate and in their original order. Following the Hillel House fire in 1978, Rabbi Kamerling’s records (1945-1955) were acquired by the Archives. In 1986, additional Kamerling files were acquired (1946-1970). These overlapping sets of records were described and processed separately.
Creator
B'nai Brith Hillel Foundation at the University of Toronto (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1978-3-7
1981-5-2
1988-11-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Quebec synagogues series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 1; File 45
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Quebec synagogues series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
1
File
45
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
30 photographs : col. slides and (2) b&w photographs ; 35 mm and 12 x 9 cm
1 architectural drawing
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
Fonds
64
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1980
Physical Description
35 cm of textual records
10 photographs
41 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
Series contains reference materials created by and written about the synagogues. Primary records include commemorative booklets, a small number of newsletters, brochures, and programs from special events. There are also newspaper clippings and copied articles providing histories of synagogues. There is a small number of photograph prints and negatives, but many of the files also include photographs from books, magazines or photocopies. The series is arranged in alphabetical order by city, then by synagogue. Not every synagogue the project team researched has a reference file, and there may be reference files for shuls for which no photographs survive.
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
10
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1961-1962
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains two architectural drawings and a Service of Dedication programme for the synagogue from 1962.
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Fredericton (N.B.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 26
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
26
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1952-1977
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
5 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains an information brochure, 25th anniversary commemoration book and five 1952 blueprints for the building.
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 27
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
27
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1951, 1969
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains programme and newspaper advertisement for the sod turning ceremony of the synagogue (1969), as well as 2 1951 blueprints for the building.
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 28
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
28
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
3 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains bar mitzvah year program for synagogue (1978) and photocopied architectural drawings.
Subjects
Bar mitzvah
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 33
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
33
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1947
Physical Description
7 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains 7 blueprints for the 1947 extension and alterations to the shul.
Name Access
Congregation Ahavath Shalom
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 40
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
40
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1973, 1975
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
3 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains booklet for bar mitzvah commemoration, 1975, and blueprints for the 1973 extension.
Subjects
Bar mitzvah
Reconstructionist Judaism
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 41
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
41
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains photocopied articles, a newspaper clipping, photocopied photographs, a greeting card with photograph on cover, copies of the 1859 contract commissioning the erection of the synagogue as well as a list of specifications for the masons, and blueprints for the 1967 extension.
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 43
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
43
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1960]-1975
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains 50th anniversary booklet (1975), and two blueprints of the building.
Name Access
Shaare Zion Congregation (Montréal, Québec)
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 48
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
48
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1949, 1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 architectural drawing
Scope and Content
File contains a form letter from the congregation regarding High Holiday services (17 July 1978), and a blueprint for the auditorium building (1949).
Name Access
Young Israel of Montreal
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 66
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
66
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1920-1977
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 architectural drawing
Scope and Content
File contains a copied photograph from The Jewish Post, the congregation's constitution adopted in 1920, and a blueprint from 1955.
Name Access
Agudas Israel
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Saskatoon (Sask.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 89
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
89
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1958, 1971
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains copied newspaper article, "Congregation Beth Israel - Centre of Conservative Judaism," from the Jewish Western Bulletin, and blueprints from 1971 renovations.
Name Access
Beth Israel Synagogue
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Vancouver (B.C.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 99
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
99
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1974-1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
5 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains a clipping of an architectural drawing (elevation).
Name Access
Beth Israel Congregation
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Winnipeg (Man.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 90
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
90
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1976
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing
Scope and Content
File contains a blueprint for the shul/community centre (1976).
Name Access
Beth Tikvah Congregation
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Richmond (B.C.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 62
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
62
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1952
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains five 1952 blueprints.
Name Access
House of Israel
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Edell's Drug Store and Elmhurst Pharmacy series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Edell's Drug Store and Elmhurst Pharmacy series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1947-1969
Physical Description
17 cm of textual records
3 photographs
7 architectural plans
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell graduated with a degree in pharmacy in 1943. After completing his military service, he opened Edell's Drug Store and began working as a pharmacist. He subsequently opened two other drug stores, Edell's Drug Store located on Spadina Avenue and Elmhurst Drugs. Although he continued to own Elmhurst Drugs until his death in 2000, he retired from pharmacy in 1962.
Scope and Content
Series consists of material relating to the establishment and operation of Sol Edell’s pharmacy from the three locations where he operated drug stores. Series consists of financial records, newspaper advertisements, ink blotters, and flyers and prescription envelopes from the 1940s and 1950s with the name and logo of Edell’s Drug Store. In addition, there is correspondence and legal documents pertaining to a planned renovation of the Queen Street Store and the expropriation of the building by the City of Toronto. Also included is a photograph of a group of Toronto pharmacists.
Name Access
Edell's Drug Store
Elmhurst Pharmacy
Elmhurst Plaza
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1955-[ca. 1983]
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
24 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
Elmdale Investments Ltd. was a corporation founded by Sol Edell in 1958. Sol Edell was the majority owner, although its shareholders also included Sol's first wife, Dolly; his second wife, Celia; and his father-in-law, Moishe Weinstock. It was through this company that Sol Edell developed the Elmhurst Plaza property and managed the plaza. The corporation was still in existence at the time of Sol Edell’s death.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence and blueprints relating to the purchase of the property in 1956 and the construction of the Elmhurst Plaza in 1957. There are contracts and financial records dealing with the maintenance and rental of the plaza. Among the tenants listed were Oshawa Food Wholesalers and Power Supermarkets. The series also contains information about the shareholders of Elmdale Investments, Sol Edell's business cards, and company stationery.
Name Access
Elmdale Investments
Elmhurst Plaza
Oshawa Food Wholesalers
Power Supermarkets
Weinstock, Moishe
Subjects
Architecture
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1964-1993
Physical Description
8 cm of textual records
7 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
In 1964, Sol Edell invested in a retail textile store, Deltex Draperies Ltd., which had been founded by a group of businessmen including his cousin, Israel Edell. In 1971, they opened a second store, Dodd's Draperies Ltd., and, in 1979, the two companies merged under the name Dodd’s Draperies Ltd. In 1987, the store closed and the building was sold. During their lengthy business association, Israel Edell supervised the day-to-day operation of the stores while Sol Edell was responsible for the overall financial management and the construction of the new premises at 1445 Bathurst Street.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, minute books, documents of incorporation, and stock certificates relating to the establishment of both Deltex Draperies and Dodd’s Draperies and the eventual merger of the two stores. In addition, series includes minutes and financial reports dealing with the operation of both companies. Also included are correspondence and blueprints relating to the construction of the building at 1445 Bathurst Street as well as the sale of that building.
Name Access
Deltex Draperies Ltd.
Dodd's Draperies Ltd.
Edell, Israel
Subjects
Business
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
7
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1913-1999
Physical Description
22 cm of textual records
4 architectural drawings
2 photographs
Admin History/Bio
Shomrai Shabbos is an orthodox congregation which was founded in 1896. Sol Edell’s grandfather, Rabbi Yosef Weinreb, served as rabbi of the congregation from 1900 until 1942. The synagogue was in several downtown locations until it moved to its present location on Glengrove Avenue in North York in 1966. The congregation has grown steadily over the years and now has a membership of over 350 families. Sol Edell’s family were members of the congregation when he was a child. Although he retained his membership in the congregation after his marriage, he rarely attended the services at the synagogue. However, he did continue to participate in fundraising on behalf of the synagogue.
Custodial History
The earlier records were collected by Sol's grandfather, Rabbi Yosef Weinreb, or his father, Paul Edell. After their deaths, Sol maintained his membership in the congregation and continued to receive material from the synagogue.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the establishment, construction, membership and activities of the Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue. Included is correspondence, speeches, technical drawings, financial records, ledgers, a tribute book, legal records, flyers, bulletins, marriage certificate receipts, certificates, invitations, a photograph, and stationary.
Name Access
Felder, Gedalia, Rabbi
Yosef, Weinreb, Rabbi
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
8
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1978-2008
Physical Description
17 cm of textual records
102 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell had always been an active Zionist and in 1979 his son, Simcha, immigrated to Isreal. Following his son's aliyah, he became the founding chairman of the Aliyah Support Committee of the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and an active member of the local chapter of the Parents of North American Israelis. These two organizations respectively provide support for Torontonians and North Americans who have immigrated to Israel. This support includes facilitating the immigration process, providing financial assistance and maintaining contacts between the immigrants and the Toronto Jewish community. He was also involved with a group of Mizrachi members who wanted to build a housing project in Israel. Simcha Edell was an active member of the Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel which is an Israeli based organization that assists immigrants from North America. Sol Edell served as a liaison between this organization and the Toronto Jewish community. In addition, Simcha Edell, with his father’s assistance, published a directory of former Torontonians living in Israel, the Directory of Toronto Olim.
Scope and Content
The series consists of material relating to the assistance provided by the Toronto Jewish community to Torontonians who had immigrated to Israel. Included are records documenting the Aliyah Support Committee of the Toronto Jewish Congress, the Parents of North American Israelis, and the Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel. Records include correspondence, meeting notices, agendas and minutes, reports, publications, newspaper clippings, and Olim directories. Also included are architectural drawings of a housing project in Israel.
Name Access
Aliyah Support Committee, Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto
Parents of North American Israelis
Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel
Simcha Edell
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
6
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
moving images
Date
1946-1981
Physical Description
17 cm of textual records
10 architectural drawings
ca. 9 film reels : 16 mm
Admin History/Bio
Max and Celia Hoffman were married in 1958 in Hamilton and had two sons. Max was the owner of Hamilton Plumbing and Heating Supplies. Both were active in a number of Jewish community organizations in Hamilton such as the Council of Jewish Organizations, Adas Israel synagogue and the Union of Jewish Congregations of America, Ontario Region. They were also involved in fundraising on behalf of Yeshiva University, which is located in New York City. Max Hoffman died in 1964 and Celia moved to Toronto in 1966 when she married Sol Edell.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of correspondence, ledgers, publications, home movies and architectural drawings relating to the family life, business and community activities of Max and Celia Hoffman. There are three series: Business Series, Community Activities Series and Personal Series.
Name Access
Adas Israel Congregation (Hamilton, Ont.)
Council of Jewish Organizations
Federation
Hoffman (family)
Subjects
Families
Creator
Hoffman family
Places
Hamilton (Ont.)
Accession Number
2002-12-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Business series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 6; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Business series
Level
Series
Fonds
6
Series
1
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
1950-1976
Physical Description
2 cm of textual records
1 architectural drawing
Admin History/Bio
Max Hoffman was the owner of Hamilton Heating and Plumbing and part owner of M. and S. Real Estate Holdings. His partner in the latter company, Sol Hoffman, was also the executor of Max Hoffman's estate. Celia Hoffman was a member of a women's investment club, Iona Share.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence and cheques relating to Max Hoffman's business Hamilton Heating and Plumbing. Also included are a ledger and the financial statements of the Estate of Max Hoffman and M. and S. Real Estate Holding. In addition, there are legal documents and a newspaper clipping about an investment club, Iona Share.
Name Access
Hoffman, Sol
Hamilton Heating and Plumbing
Iona Share Investment Club
M. and S. Hoffman Real Estate Holdings
Subjects
Business
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Residences sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Residences sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
4
Series
1-7
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
1955-1981
Physical Description
47 architectural drawings
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell became interested in construction in 1948 after he purchased a building and opened his drug store. He later built several commercial buildings. He also supervised the construction and renovation of his own home and the home of Mr. and Mrs. A. Weinstock (likely his in-laws). In addition, he took an active role in the construction and renovation of several synagogues in Toronto and Hamilton.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of invoices and technical drawings relating to the construction and renovation of the Edell and Weinstock homes in North York and Malton.
Subjects
Architecture
Physical Condition
Architectural drawings are in poor condition. They should be flattened and stored flat. The majority should also be encapsulated in melinex to prevent re-curling and to protect them from further damage (with the exception of the pencil drawings).
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 4; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
4
File
12
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1974
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 architectural drawing
Scope and Content
File consists of Deltex Draperies Ltd.'s offer to lease a store at 21 Vaughan Road and a photocopy of a floor plan for the Bathurst-Vaughan Mall Limited.
Name Access
Edell, Israel
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 4; File 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
4
File
13
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1975
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
6 technical drawings : blueline ; 75 x 105 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence relating to the construction of a new Dodd's Draperies Ltd. store by Sol Edell at 1447 Bathurst Street. Also included are floor plans, elevation drawings, section drawings and a topographic plan.
Name Access
Edell, Israel
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Edell's Drug Store and Elmhurst Pharmacy series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 2; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Edell's Drug Store and Elmhurst Pharmacy series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
2
File
7
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1953-1956
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 presentation drawing : brownline drawing, hand col. ; 41 x 82 cm
3 technical drawings : brownline prints ; 52 x 54 cm and 54 x 78 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of invoices from the architect relating to the construction of a new building which Sol Edell wanted to build on the site occupied by Edell's Drug Store. Also included is correspondence with the Municipality of Etobicoke regarding a building permit and a report from the Ontario Municipal Board regarding by-laws for apartment buildings. File also consists of a presentation drawing of what the proposed apartment building would look like and preliminary floor plans and elevation drawings by architect Sidney Samuels.
Name Access
Edell's Drug Store
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
3
File
2
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1955-1957
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
22 technical drawings : 18 blueline drawings and 3 brownline drawings ; 63 x 120 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence with the architects, Bregman and Hamann, and the contractors relating to the cost of the construction of the plaza. Also included are floor plans, site plans, elevation drawings, electrical drawings, and a presentation sketch.
Name Access
Bregmann and Hamann
Source
Archival Descriptions
284 records – page 1 of 6.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content