Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
3 records – page 1 of 1.
Accession Number
1979-11-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-11-1
Material Format
text
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 book
8 microfiche sheets
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Date
1889-1917
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records created by Goel Tzedec Congregation. Included are microfiche of minutes and ledgers, a copy of a Seder T'filas Yisroel donated to Goel Tzedec by Chaim Smith in 1917, and a class photograph for the Farband Shule taken in the late 1930s.
Included in the photograph are Hershel Fogle, Rivkah G, Fayge Weingarten, Sarah Gingold, Aaron Hermaub, Shangle Atkin, Lil Newman, Etle Brody, Rochel Blumenshtein, Chava Smith, Sora Zweig, Yaacov Drexler, Malka, Yaacov Rosenzweig, Aaron Shnipper, Klumann, Shore, Aaron Folk and the teachers Fogle, Leah Lander, Shopsai Rappaport, Moishe Rigelhaupt, and Dr. Isaiah Rabinowich
Custodial History
Records were kept by Goel Tzedec and later Beth Tzedec and were donated by the museum on behalf of Dr. Fred Weinberg
Administrative History
Goel Tzedec was established in 1883. It was originally an orthodox congregation founded by a group of recent immigrants from Lithuania. The first synagogue was situated in a room on Richmond and York Streets. Three years later they purchased and remodelled a building on University Avenue at Elm Street that was owned by the Methodist Church. Finally, in 1904 they hired an architect to construct a large building that was perfectly suited to their needs. In February of 1907, the building on University Avenue was dedicated and became the largest synagogue in Toronto, accommodating 1200 congregants.
During the early decades of the twentieth century, Goel Tzedec became more ethnically mixed and established a religious school and women's auxiliary to help raise money and run special events. In 1925, the Congregation joined the Conservative Synagogue Movement and introduced changes to its services.
After the Second World War, Goel Tzedec and its sister synagogue, Beth Hamidrash Hagadol amalgamated in September 1952 to form Beth Tzedec. The two congregations worked together to build a synagogue which was built in the North end of the city on Bathurst and was dedicated 9 December 1955. Rabbi Stuart E. Rosenberg served as Beth Tzedec's first Rabbi and J. Benjamin Friedberg as its Assistant Rabbi. The Chazzan at the time was Cantor Joseph Cooper. The synagogue adhered to the principles of the Conservative Movement and represents the largest synagogue in Toronto
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-9-2
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
textual record (electronic)
architectural drawing (electronic)
Physical Description
37 photographs : b&w and col. (jpg) + 2 identification keys
16 documents (28 jpgs)
2 architectural drawings (jpg)
Date
[189-]-2004
Scope and Content
Accession consists of scanned copies of original records documenting the Jewish community in Cornwall. The records relate to various individuals in the community, including the donor, as well as organizations such as B'nai Brith, Hebrew Ladies' Aid Society, and the Beth-El Congregation. The items include scans of cemetery plans, burial certificates, photographs, meeting minutes, memorial books and various legal documents.
Photographs are as follows:
01. 60th Anniversary of D-Day Programme.
02. Abe and Rose Goldhamer, Long Sault Rapids before the seaway, ca. 1941.
03. Al Burnes in uniform. Al lived in Cornwall and moved to Toronto, [between 1939 and 1945].
04. Archie Dover, first person buried in the new cemetery, pg. 1, 1962.
05. Archie Dover, first person buried in the new cemetery, pg. 2, 1962.
06. Beth El Synagogue, exterior, nd.
07. Beth El Synagogue, interior, nd.
08. Birdie Phillips Miller.
09. B’nai Brith, ca. 1961. [obverse]
10. B’nai Brith, ca. 1961. [reverse]
11. B’nai Brith entertaining seniors from Glen Stor Dun Lodge, 1964.
12. B’nai Brith girls temporary charter, 1967.
13. B’nai Brith Youth Organization temporary charter, 1967.
14. Boys playing hockey behind the shul, 1930s. Back row, left to right: unidentified, Jack Abrugov, Murray Berns, Julius Kolomier. Front row, left to right: unidentified, Jack Goldhamer, unidentified, unidentified, unidentified.
15. Braham Goldhamer on piano.
16. Cemetery plan from office of LP Stidwill, civil engineer and Ontario land surveyor, April 18 1958.
17. Cemetery plan, nd.
18. Construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway, Robert Saunders Dam, 1957.
19. B’nai Brith emergency meeting minutes, 1967.
20. Entertainer, Helen Goldhamer and her father, Julius Miller.
21. General meeting regarding building of the synagogue, pg. 1, Oct. 5, 1924.
22. General meeting regarding building of the synagogue, pg. 2, Oct. 5, 1924.
23. B’nai Brith Cornwall Lodge, 1961. [obverse] Pictured are, Standing left to right: Moe Helperin, Peter Solway, Oscar Niduvitch, Louis Dubinsky, Alex Abugor, Sam Nyman, Moe Schulman, Bernard Miller, I. Martin, Saul Schulman. Seated left to right: Mark Goldhamer, Sam Smolkin, Saul Kaye, Mrs. Eddie Cantor (guest speaker), Rabbi Matts, Julius Miller.
24. B’nai Brith Cornwall Lodge, 1961. [reverse]
25. Hebrew School, ca. 1958.
26. Helen, Mark and Brham Goldhamer, ca. 1958.
27. Helen Goldhamer on the St. Lawrence just west of Cornwall.
28. Helen Goldhamer speaking.
29. Helen Goldhamer thanking guest speaker.
30. Joel Horovitz, Bar Mitzvah programme, 1954.
31. Julius Miller and daughter Helen Goldhamer with father Moses Miller (seated) and grandson Braham Goldhamer at age 2.
32. Julius Miller and wife Birdie in front of their furniture company’s first truck, ca. 1946.
33. Julius Miller Grove invitation to ceremony, 1969.
34. Julius Miller Grove letter, 1969.
35. Julius Miller Grove plaque, ca. 1969.
36. [Phillips family?], ca. 1900.
37. Annette Phillips and Mary Phillips, ca. 1948.
38. Julius Miller presented with a pin by Mrs. Eddie Cantor at an Israel Bonds drive, 1961.
39. Nathan Phillips with unidentified boy.
40. Left to right: Annette Phillips, Mary Phillips, Birdie Phillips Miller and Riva Phillips, 1940s.
41. Left to right: Archie Dover, Julius Miller and Rabbi Lewin at the Memory Board dedication.
42. Left to right: Helen Goldhamer, Sarah Vineberg, Mrs. M. Phillips, Birdie Phillips Miller, Annette Phillips, ca. 1938.
43. Succot. Left to right: Margot Miller, Jack Miller and Braham Goldhamer, ca. 1956.
44. Left to right: Mark Goldhamer, Iruim Thaw, Saul Schulman and guest speaker, ca. 1961.
45. Nathan and Sam Phillips, ca. 1920.
46. Legal letter regarding the deed to the cemetery, pg. 1, 1929.
47. Legal letter regarding the deed to the cemetery, pg. 2, 1929.
48. Markus Goldhamer RCAF discharge papers, pg. 1, 1945.
49. Markus Goldhamer RCAF discharge papers, pg. 2, 1945.
50. Markus Goldhamer RCAF photo, Second World War.
51. Mary Phillips, life member of Hadassah-WIZO card, April 5, 1954.
52. Memorial book, pg. 1, 1926.
53. Memorial book, pg. 2, 1926.
54. Memorial book, pg. 3, 1926.
55. Memorial book, pg. 4, 1926.
56. Memory board.
57. Moses Miller.
58. Original minutes forming the B’nai Brith chapter in Cornwall, pg. 1, 1934.
59. Original minutes forming the B’nai Brith chapter in Cornwall, pg. 2, 1934.
60. Original minutes forming the B’nai Brith chapter in Cornwall, pg. 3, 1934.
61. Original minutes forming the B’nai Brith chapter in Cornwall, pg. 4, 1934.
62. Part of crowd at the annual dinner in Beth El Synagogue hall.
63. Photocopy of Hebrew Ladies’ Aid meeting minutes, pg. 1, Nov. 29, 1922.
64. Photocopy of Hebrew Ladies’ Aid meeting minutes, pg. 2, Nov. 29, 1922.
65. President of B’nai Brith Mark Goldhamer speaking. Helen Goldhamer seated to his left.
66. Riva Phillips beside Julius Miller Furniture shop, 1950s.
67. Thank you card to Mark Goldhamer, pg. 1.
68. Thank you card to Mark Goldhamer, pg. 2.
69. [Phillips family?], ca. 1900.
Custodial History
The original records are in the possession of the donor. The OJA was granted permission to scan the records in September 2007, as part of the Ontario Small Jewish Communities initiative. These copies were then donated to the Archives on 2007-09-04.
Subjects
Communities
Cemeteries
Name Access
Goldhamer, Mark
Places
Cornwall, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Ida Lewis Siegel fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 15; File 31
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ida Lewis Siegel fonds
Level
File
Fonds
15
File
31
Material Format
text
Date
1912-[ca. 1930]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of 5 books belonging to Ida Lewis Siegel: "True Friendship Like the Ivy Clings", "Lays of Ancient Rome", "The Vision of Sir Launfal" by Lowell, "Gems from Longfellow" and "Mumu and Kassyan of Fair Springs" by Ivan Turgenev".
Source
Archival Descriptions