Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
358 records – page 1 of 8.
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Refusnik cases sub-series
Reference publications sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-6-3
File
2
Material Format
text
Responsibility
Written and edited by Judith Matz and Margery Sanford ; coordinated by Tina Freiman and Myriam Wolf ; translation by Irving Dalin
Date
Aug. 1976
Physical Description
1 v. : unbound
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Refusnik cases sub-series
Reference publications sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-6-3
File
3
Material Format
text
Responsibility
Myriam P. Wolf, Tina Freiman, Judith Matz and Margery Sanford ; translation by Irving Dalin
Date
Mar. 1977
Physical Description
1 v. : unbound
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Refusnik cases sub-series
Reference publications sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-6-3
File
4
Material Format
text
Responsibility
Margery Sanford Myriam P. Wolf and Judith Matz ; introduction by Alexander Lerner ; translation by Irving Dalin
Date
Oct. 1977
Physical Description
1 v. : unbound
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Refusnik cases sub-series
Reference publications sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-6-3
File
5
Material Format
text
Responsibility
Margery Sanford, Myriam P. Wolf and Judith Matz ; introduction by Dante B. Fascell ; translation by Irving Dalin
Date
Aug. 1978
Physical Description
1 v. : unbound
Subjects
Antisemitism--Soviet Union
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Refusnik cases sub-series
Reference publications sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-6-3
File
6
Material Format
text
Responsibility
Margery Sanford, Adele Sandberg and Myriam P. Wolf ; translation by Irving Dalin
Date
Aug. 1979
Physical Description
1 v. : unbound
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Refusnik cases sub-series
Reference publications sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-6-3
File
7
Material Format
text
Responsibility
Margery Sanford and Adele Sandberg ; translation by Irving Dalin
Date
Oct. 1980
Physical Description
1 v. : unbound
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Refusnik cases sub-series
Reference publications sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-6-3
File
8
Material Format
text
Responsibility
Adele E. Sandberg, Margery Sanford and Myriam P. Wolf ; translation by Irving Dalin
Date
Sept. 1981
Physical Description
1 v. : unbound
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Refusnik cases sub-series
Reference publications sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-6-3
File
9
Material Format
text
Responsibility
Adele E. Sandberg, Margery Sanford and Myriam P. Wolf ; translation by Irving Dalin
Date
Sept. 1982
Physical Description
1 v. : unbound
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Refusnik cases sub-series
Reference publications sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-6-3
File
10
Material Format
text
Responsibility
Adele E. Sandberg and Margery Sanford ; introduction by Martin Gilbert ; translation by Irving Dalin
Date
Sept. 1984
Physical Description
1 v. : unbound
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Refusnik cases sub-series
Reference publications sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-6-3
File
11
Material Format
text
Responsibility
Adele E. Sandberg and Margery Sanford ; introduction by Alan Dershowitz ; translation by Irving Dalin
Date
Sept. 1985
Physical Description
1 v. : unbound
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Refusnik cases sub-series
Reference publications sub-sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-6-3
File
12
Material Format
text
Responsibility
Adele E. Sandberg and Margery Sanford ; introduction by Elie Wiesel ; translation by Irving Dalin
Date
Sept. 1986
Physical Description
1 v. : unbound
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Toronto Hadassah-WIZO fonds
Ilana Chapter series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 71; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Toronto Hadassah-WIZO fonds
Ilana Chapter series
Level
Series
Fonds
71
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1949-1996
Physical Description
33 photographs : b&w and col. (17 negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
2 artifacts
15 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the spring of 1949 by Mrs. Dolly Tarshis and Mrs. Elaine Culiner, the Ilana Chapter of the Hadassah – Wizo Organization of Canada was created under the organization’s national mandate dedicated to financially and socially supporting the peoples of Israel and promoting Jewish culture and ideals in Canada. Under the leadership of Elaine Culiner as it’s first President, membership in the Ilana Chapter began with 15 women in 1949 and grew to 26 women in it’s second year. By 1965 there were 50 members in total, residing in several different neighbourhoods across central and north Toronto. All chapter meetings were held in members’ homes, generally twice a month. Executive meetings were held once a month between September and June. Over the years many Ilana members were also active in the Toronto Hadassah Council Executive.
The Ilana Chapter was constructed according to the mandate of the Hadassah – Wizo Organization of Canada, and as such, was obligated to administer itself accordingly. It’s administration was comprised of 2 levels – an administrative council and a general membership. The executive consisted of a president, vice-president, treasurer, recording secretary, corresponding secretary, past president, 2 members-at-large, and various portfolio chairmen. The executive met at least once a month to discuss chapter issues, and the general membership met approximately twice a month. All other meetings were held on a rotating basis at members’ homes and the minutes were recorded by the secretary. All issues and activities would be voted on by the membership at large, although it was the executive’s responsibility to ensure that all activities were carried out. Members were required to pay annual dues, of which the chapter retained only a small portion for expenses, as the balance was relegated to the regional council to pay for administrative costs and donations.As well, all fundraising profits raised by the Chapter for support of the various Hadassah - Wizo programs was required to be forwarded to the regional council by the 10th of each month.
Membership in Ilana remained relatively constant until the chapter merged with the Deborah Chapter in 1990, primarily due to waning meeting attendance.
The Ilana Chapter participated in numerous organization-wide fundraising activities, contributing to such social programs as Youth Aliyah, the Children’s Village in Hadassim, the Jewish National Fund, and the Henrietta Szold Memorial Scholarship Fund.
The Rose Dunkelman Day Care Center in Tel Aviv is one of 10 Israeli centers sponsored by the Hadassah-Wizo Organization of Canada and is directly affiliated with the Toronto branch and it’s constituent chapters.The Ilana Chapter contributed financially to this center through it’s child sponsorship program, in which a child at the center would be “adopted” for one year.
Fundraising campaigns unique to the Ilana Chapter included the Clothing Name Tape program benefiting the Children’s Village in Hadassim, and the innovative “House That Goodwill Built”, later adopted by the Toronto Hadassah Council, which featured it as the “Eilat Lighthouse” at the annual Toronto Hadassah Bazaar.
Cocktail parties, teas, luncheons, raffle draws, theatre outings, and dinner-dances were also popular fundraising activities for the Ilana Chapter, most taking place in members’ homes and relying heavily on membership donations.In 1964 the Chapter inaugurated a highly successful fundraising event, their annual Treasure Trove and Antique Auction, with proceeds benefiting Youth Aliyah.This project ran until the early 1980’s. Linens, silver, clothing, and other like goods were either donated for sale or offered on consignment by local businesses, proving to be a successful fundraising event for the Chapter. Originally organized in members’ homes, the Auction and Treasure Trove was held at the following venues during the 1960s and early 1970s:The North York Memorial Gardens, St. Lawrence Hall, Edwards Gardens, and finally the Holiday Inn Yorkdale, where it remained from 1973 until its final years.
Scope and Content
The series consists of records in the form of textual documents, photographs, press clippings, memorabilia, and scrapbooks that document the history of the Ilana Chapter from 1949 – 1990, and its successor the Deborah-Ilana Chapter from 1990-1996.
These include administrative documents such as executive council lists (1951-1983), membership lists (1949-1993), master lists of past presidents (1949-1983) and financial records (1952-1991).
Other documents include executive meeting minutes (1952-1972) and general meeting minutes (1951-1982), the opening prayer read before all meetings, a Chapter history compiled by a former President in 1966, and the Chapter Constitution and By-Laws (1964).
Documents of the chapter’s involvement in the Rose Dunkelman Day Care Center include letters, photos, certificates and case histories issued by Hadassim and Wizo Baby Services from 1997- 1988.
Among the membership memorabilia are photos, cards, invitations, press clippings, a sympathy card, and an obituary.
Finally this series includes the meeting gavel which was used by the president to chair the meetings.
The records are arranged in chronological order by subject, such as membership lists, executive council nominations, and executive meeting minutes. The contents of 3 scrapbooks have been placed in files and are arranged chronologically.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ajalon Lodge fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 72
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ajalon Lodge fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
72
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1929-1986
Physical Description
ca. 1.25 metres of textual records
ca. 15 scrapbooks
ca. 20 objects
Admin History/Bio
The Ajalon Lodge was first organized on 10 March 1929 as the Ajalon Club of Young Judaea. The founding members were Abe Bohnen, Hyman Cohen, Isaac Gringorten, George (Hamell) Himmelstein and Lou Hochman. The group met at the Zionist Institute at 206 Beverley Street in Toronto. The name was selected by Abe Bohnen and Mark Zimmerman, the Young Judaea supervisor, from a map of Palestine which hung in the Young Judaea library.
The first leader of the club was Morris Kertzer followed by Al Zimmerman. In 1930 the lodge began to record its activities in scrapbooks, which it later named the Ajalon Archives. The archivists over the years included Max Schwadron, Ben Marks, Myer Bromberg, and Willie Zimmerman.
The club was actively involved in Young Judaea literary, social, and fundraising activities. In 1935, the club graduated from the Young Judaea movement and become a lodge of the Zionist Order Habonim. By 1939 however, the Ajalon, Balfour, Bialik, and Jaffa lodges merged into the Toronto Habonim Lodge due the waning membership as many men went off to war. After the war, the four lodges returned to their original state. In 1940, the lodge acquired club rooms on the third floor of the Zionist Building and in 1944 several wives of lodge members organized the Ajalon Ladies Auxiliary. By 1953, Habonim became the Zionist Men’s Association of Canada, an affiliate organization of the Zionist Organization of Canada and by the 1960s, Ajalon Lodge became directly affiliated with ZOC. Over the course of its existence membership in the lodge has been between 40 and 90 members.
Ajalon Lodge participated in many fundraising campaigns for Jewish organizations in Toronto, such as the Jewish National Fund and the United Palestine Appeal. Many of its members also served on the board of directors for organizations such as the Toronto Zionist Council and Young Judaea. The lodge was involved in several fundraising initiatives, including the establishment of a kindergarten in Ashkelon, Israel in 1972. In later years the Ajalon Lodge was affiliated with the Zionist Organization of Canada.
Custodial History
The records were in the custody of both Willie Zimmerman and Meyer Bromberg before they were donated to the Archives in 1984, 1988, and 1994.
Scope and Content
This fonds primarily consists of the records collected and created by the Ajalon Archives Committee, under the direction of Max Schwadron, Ben Marks, Myer Bromberg, and Willie Zimmerman. The archives are organized into scrapbooks by year and relate first to activities of Ajalon Club as a chapter of Young Judaea and then to Ajalon Lodge as a chapter of the Zionist Order Habonim. Later scrapbooks represent the lodge’s activities as part of the broader Zionist network affiliated with the Zionist Organization of Canada. The scrapbooks consist of photographs, event invitations, pamphlets and flyers, correspondence, editorial writings, newsletters, newsclippings, meeting minutes, activity reports, and ephemera. They begin in 1929 and run to 1983.
Also included in the fonds are the meeting minutes, financial reports and general correspondence files of the lodge, as well as several artifacts collected by Meyer Bromberg while he was the acting archivist.
Name Access
Ajalon Lodge (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Zionism
Physical Condition
Some of the early scrapbooks are in poor condition. The pages are brittle and are crumbling along the edges. As well, the scrapbooks require tissue-paper linings between the pages to separate the various media contained within and to prevent any further degredation, particularly of the photographs. Many of the photos in the later scrapbooks require rehousing in acid-free melanex.
Related Material
Related material can be found in the Zionist Organization of Canada fonds 28, the Meyer Bromberg fonds, the Maurice Berg fonds and the Willie Zimmerman fonds 41.
Creator
Ajalon Lodge (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1984-11-2
1988-6-5
1994-10-3
2005-4-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee meeting agendas, minutes, reports and correspondence series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 17; Series 1; File 637
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee meeting agendas, minutes, reports and correspondence series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
1
File
637
Material Format
text
Date
1986
Physical Description
1 book : 138 p.
Custodial History
The book came to us from Pat Alpert and was removed from her fonds for integration into this one.
Notes
Canadian Jewish Congress--History
Canadian Jewish Congress--Ontario Region
Creator
Canadian Jewish Congress
Accession Number
2005-2-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Toronto Hadassah-WIZO fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 71
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Toronto Hadassah-WIZO fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
71
Material Format
object
Date
[1982]
Physical Description
1 button ; 75 mm in diameter
Scope and Content
Item is a large red and white button with the CHW logo, a happy face and the words "Happiness is Helping!" in white lettering. A sticker on the back of the button says "Convention '82."
Creator
Canadian Hadassah-WIZO
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 66
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
66
Material Format
textual record
object
Date
1917-1939
Physical Description
49 cm of textual records
1 ruler : 6 in.
Admin History/Bio
For many years prior to 1917 Toronto Jewish community leaders had recognized the need to centralize fund-raising for all local Jewish charities. The 1912 creation of the Associated Hebrew Charities was a partial improvement, but it proved unable to cope with the pre-war rapid growth in immigration, the effects of the 1916 economic recession, and the funding requirements of many still-unaffiliated agencies. The positive experiences of newly established Jewish community federations in several American cities did, however, offer a better example for Toronto, where prominent Jewish leaders Edmund Scheuer, Abraham Cohen, and Ida Seigel provided the leadership that finally did result in the establishment of a Toronto federation.
The Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto was chartered as a charitable organization under the laws of Ontario in September 1917. Its central goal was to end the frequent, uncontrolled, and competitive fund soliciting by a wide range of individual Toronto Jewish philanthropic and social service institutions and instead substitute a single coordinated city-wide community fundraising effort. This would ensure adequate and accountable funding for all its affiliated organizations and agencies in Toronto.
Original affiliated agencies of the FJPT were: the Ladies Co-operative Board, the Jewish Orphans' Home, the Jewish Girls Club, the Junior Council of Jewish Women, the Hebrew Ladies Maternity Aid and Sewing Circle, the Hebrew Young Ladies Boot and Shoe Society, the Jewish Branch of the Big Brotherhood Movement, the Hebrew Free Loan Society, the Jewish Dispensary, and the Hebrew Burial Society.
The original officers were: President Edmund Scheuer, 1st Vice-President Joseph Singer, 2nd Vice-President Jay J. Allen, 3rd Vice-President Moses Gelber, 4th Vice-President Charles Draimin, Treasurer Eli Pullan, and Honorary Secretary Abraham Cohen. A board of trustees consisting of 45 members was also constituted, one-third of whose members were to be replaced each year.
Final decision powers of the federation were originally vested in the board, which met monthly and was responsible for funds distribution and the nomination of officers of the federation. The board also had the power to change, by a two-third vote, any federation by-laws, rules, or regulations. The president chaired all board meetings and had, along with the treasurer, signing authority for orders and cheques. In his absence, the president's responsibilities were transferred to the 1st, or other vice-presidents, in order. The treasurer was responsible for receiving all donations and depositing them in the bank. He also had signing authority for disbursals.
A system of committees was also established in order to deal with individual issues such as annual meetings, fund-raising, budgets, day-to-day administration, and policy, constitutional, and regulation changes. Recommendations from these committees were sent to an executive committee. When vetted, they were then forwarded to the board of trustees for final approval. By 1924, a new position of executive director was added to the list of officers in order to provide better management of the FJPT administration and to head up the executive committee. Also, by this time, six further agencies had become affiliated. These were: Mount Sinai Hospital, the Jewish Boys' and Girls' Camps, Jewish Big Sisters, the Family Welfare Bureau, the Federation Health Clinic, and the Federation Employment Bureau.
The first office of the FJPT was at 206 Beverly Street, but by 1924 it was headquartered at 218 Simcoe Street and by 1928 it had moved to 179 Beverley Street, which was renamed Scheuer House after the FJPT's first president.
The 1929 onset of the Great Depression created unprecedented and ever-growing service and monetary demands on the FJPT. Unable to cope, a major change was urgently required. In 1938 the FJPT was thus absorbed into a new and larger organization with an expanded mission and reorganized fund-raising operations, the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
Although the FJPT was absorbed into the UJWF in 1938, meetings of the FJPT Board of Management (responsible for funds redistribution to the FJPT's affiliated agencies) continued to January, 1939 when these responsibilities were finally transferred to the UJWF.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the incorporation, public reporting, planning, financial, administration and operational records of the FJPT. Included are: the incorporation certificate, committee meeting agendas and minutes, correspondence, budgets, annual reports and special reports. FJPT operational records document fund-raising, fund re-distribution and ongoing dialogues with member agencies. Records of specialized, short-lived committees document specific subjects such as salaries, a new community centre, funding of camps, and policies concerning the future of the organization are also included.
Series within this fonds are; 1. Incorporation, 2. Annual Meetings, 3. Annual Reports, 4. Board of Trustees, 5. Constitution Committee, 6. Executive Committee, 7. Budget Committee, 8. Sub-Committee Studying Salaries, 9. Policy Study Committee, 10. Fund-raising Campaign, 11. Federation and Camp Representative Group, 12. Committee on the Community Centre, and 13. Board of Management.
Name Access
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto
Subjects
Charities
Related Material
For records of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, successor to the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, see Fonds 67.
Creator
Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto (1917-1939)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1978 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1978 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-4
Material Format
graphic material
object
Date
1978
Physical Description
7 photographs (5 negatives)
1 button
Admin History/Bio
In 1978, the Walkathon was renamed the Walk for Israel, a name that highlighted the event's connection to Israel. The Walk's theme was celebrating 30 years of Israel's statehood, emphasized with a 30 kilometre route. The Walk was chaired by David Bloom and was distinguished by the amount of competition it involved. Walkers could sign up in teams and compete to raise the most money and/or cover the greatest distance. Teams were registered from schools, brotherhoods, clubs, youth groups, and various professions. A number of professional athletes, from the Toronto Argos, Maple Leafs, and Blue Jays, were present at various checkpoints to greet walkers. About 9000 people turned out on the day of the Walk, which finished up with a gala birthday celebration at Earl Bales Park.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1980 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1980 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-6
Material Format
graphic material
object
Date
Mar. 1980-May 1980
Physical Description
18 photographs : b&w (11 negatives)
1 button
Admin History/Bio
The 1980 Walk for Israel took place on Sunday, May 25. It was chaired by Verne Chelin and Jerry Panet, and the TJC staff coordinator was Mark Gryfe. New to the Walk this year was a "leadership mile" in which 25 prominent community leaders participated. These included Solicitor-General, Robert Kaplan; provincial minister of industry, trade and tourism, Larry Grossman; Toronto alderman, Art Eggleton; John Roberts; Toronto Jewish Congress president, Wilfred Posluns; Murray Koffler; and MIlton Harris. The 11 checkpoints along the 25 kilometre route were named after Israeli cities. 13,000 people turned out for the event.
Part of the Walk's promotion included a letter from Henry "The Fonz" Winkler to the students of Jewish schools in Toronto. The popular celebrity could not attend the Walk, but in his letter, he expressed encouragement for the students' fundraising efforts and wished them well.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1981 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1981 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-7
Material Format
graphic material
object
Date
1981
Physical Description
11 photographs (negatives) : 6 x 6 cm
1 button
Admin History/Bio
The 1981 Walk for Israel took place on Sunday, May 3. Its theme was "Walk for the Youth of Israel," since monies raised went to build a sports complex for the children of Mazkeret Batya. Advertised highlights of the 1981 Walk included Al Waxman, a celebrity photo booth, the Blue Jays Bird, Mr. Peanut, and the Toronto Argos cheerleaders. The Walk ended with a celebration of the northern JCC's (BJCC's) twentieth anniversary. As an adjunct fundraiser, a 15-hour Danceathon, was held at the BJCC, where participants could dance from 11 pm to 2 pm the next day. The Danceathon was organized by Ruth Lootsteen and Jack Samuel.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1982 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1982 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-8
Material Format
graphic material
object
Date
Apr. 1982-May 1982
Physical Description
16 photographs (14 negatives) : 24 x 20 cm and 6 x 6 cm
1 button
Admin History/Bio
In 1982, UJA's Walk for Israel took place on May 2nd and had a 25 kilometre route. It was chaired by Verne Chelin and Jerry Panet. The Walk celebrated its bar mitzvah year in 1982 with a celebration and carnival at the route's end at the BJCC. The cause for which funds were raised was the construction of a community centre in the town of Beit Dagar in Israel. Special appearances were made along the Walk route by Miss Toronto 1981, the Coca Cola robot, and a giant 'Smurf'. An adjunct fundraiser, the 15-hour Danceathon, was held for the second year.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1984 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1984 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-10
Material Format
graphic material
object
Date
Mar. 1984-June 1984
Physical Description
11 photographs (8 negatives) : 24 x 20 cm and 6 x 6 cm
1 hat
Admin History/Bio
The 1984 Walk for Israel took place on Sunday, June 3rd, beginning at the Bathurst and Sheppard plaza and ending at the Bathurst JCC. The route was a new one and was 20 kilometres long. As per the usual procedure, walkers handed in their money at the first checkpoint. The Walk chairs this year were Bobby Katz and Larry Shapiro. As in past years, B'nai Brith manned the checkpoints and acted as marshalls in overseeing traffic safety. The Walk this year had all the features that had become tradition: refreshments at the checkpoints, cartoon characters, appearances by public figures, and the grand prize of two El Al tickets to Israel.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1985 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1985 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-11
Material Format
graphic material
object
textual record
Date
Mar. 1985-July 1985
Physical Description
8 photographs : b&w and col. (5 negatives) ; 10 x 15 cm and 6 x 6 cm
1 hat
1 folder of textul records
Admin History/Bio
The 1985 Walk for Israel, held on Sunday, May 19th, was chaired by Bobby Katz and Larry Shapiro. "Celebrity" appearances along the 18 kilometre route included Toronto mayor Art Eggleton, Miss Canada, and Allison Hope of television's 20 Minute Workout. At the end of the Walk was the Yom Yerushalayim Festival in the parking lot of the BJCC. The festival included musical entertainment by the Stan Hiltz orchestra and the Spoons, karate demonstrations, and a replica of the Western Wall. For another year, El Al airlines donated two round trip tickets to Israel for a Grand Prize.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1987 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1987 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-13
Material Format
graphic material
object
textual record
Date
Mar. 1987-[May] 1987
Physical Description
7 photographs : b&w ; 20 x 24 cm
1 t-shirt
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The 18th annual Walk for Israel drew 12,000 participants, and an additional 3000 who came to the Festival. The Walk was held on Sunday, May 17th and had the traditional route -- 18 kilometres for the 18th Walk -- south along Bathurst to Eglinton and then north on Avenue Road/Bathurst to the Festival at the Bathurst JCC. The event came together, as always, with the energy and organization of hundreds of volunteers, as well as the UJA Committee chaired by Gloria Clamen. The money raised this year went towards a daycare centre in Kfar Gvirol. At the Festival, two artists in their eighties, Henry Weingluck and Hannah Sandberg, displayed their paintings. A bonfire for Lag B'Omer wrapped up the day.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Related Material
A map of the 1987 Walk route can be found in series 17-1-19 (1993), file 9.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1978 sub-sub-series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1978 sub-sub-series
Level
Item
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-4
Material Format
object
Date
1978
Physical Description
1 button ; 55 mm in diameter
Scope and Content
Item is a button for the Walk. It is blue and white with orange footprints going across it, and it says "United Jewish Appeal: Celebrate 30 Years with 30 kilometres. Walk for Israel, Sunday May 28, 1978."
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Level
Item
Fonds
67
Series
17-1
Material Format
object
Date
[198-]
Physical Description
1 hat
Scope and Content
Item is a blue and white painter's cap that reads "UJA Walk for Israel" along the front. There is a footprint printed on the top and the sponsors' logos are across the back. The sponsors are Paul Slavens Real Estate Limited, Coca-Cola, H. Halpern men's shirts and accessories, Shoppers Drug Mart, Henry's camera centre, and Beaver Canoe clothing company.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1984 sub-sub-series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-10; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1984 sub-sub-series
Level
Item
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-10
Item
1
Material Format
object
Date
1984
Physical Description
1 hat
Scope and Content
Item is a blue and white painter's cap that reads "Walk for Israel" across the front and has a blue footprint on top.
Notes
The hat is yellowed and in poor condition.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1985 sub-sub-series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-11; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1985 sub-sub-series
Level
Item
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-11
Item
1
Material Format
object
Date
1985
Physical Description
1 hat
Scope and Content
Item is a blue and white painter's cap that reads "UJA Walk for Israel '85: Official" across the front. A large footprint is printed on the top, and sponsors' logos around the back. The sponsors are Paul Slavens Real Estate Limited, Shoppers Drug Mart, and Toy Sales.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1987 sub-sub-series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-13; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1987 sub-sub-series
Level
Item
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-13
Item
1
Material Format
object
Date
1987
Physical Description
1 t-shirt
Scope and Content
Item is a t-shirt from the Festival '87 Committee for the Walk. The t-shirt is light blue and has a large footprint outlined, with the words "United Jewish Appeal of Metropolitan Toronto 1987 Walk for Israel" inside it.
Notes
The t-shirt is in good condition.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1988 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17-1-14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Walk with Israel sub-series
Walk for Israel 1988 sub-sub-series
Level
Sub-sub-series
Fonds
67
Series
17-1-14
Material Format
graphic material
object
Date
Jan. 1988-May 1988
Physical Description
ca. 131 photographs : b&w and col. (116 negatives) ; 20 x 24 cm or smaller
1 t-shirt
Admin History/Bio
The 1988 Walk was a celebration of Israel's 40th birthday. Held on Sunday, May 15th, it was chaired by Gloria Clamen and Barbara Lampcov. The day's radio communication network was headquarted as usual in the Lipa Green Building. One planning committee was dedicated to planning for accessibility on the Walk, and its chair, Helen Wolfe, led 70 people with physical and developmental disabilities along the route. "Celebrity" appearances included Olympic figure skating pair Lyndon Johnston and Denise Benning. The Festival at the BJCC included a gala carnival with rides and an open air café. Honourary cake cutters sliced an enormous blue and white birthday cake that measured 12 feet by 3 feet. The coordinator of the Festival was Ted Sokolsky; the coordinator of the Walk was David Gotfrid.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Related Material
Series 17-1-18 (1992), file 18, includes a sponsor/collection book for the 1988 Walk.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 47
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
47
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
[187-]-1959
Physical Description
6 folders of textual records
2 window plates : brass
58 photographs : b&w ; 25 x 20 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Scheuer family dates back to at least the eighteenth century in Germany to Moise Scheuer (1765-1846) and Esther Ackerman (1770-1847). Their son, Isaac Scheuer (1809-1889), married Hannchen (Johanna) Strauss (1815-1878) in 1843. Isaac and Johanna had six children: Gabriel (1844-1922), Camilla (1845-1916), Edmund (1847-1943), Emma (1853-1916), Ida (1855-1902), and Benno (Benjamin) (1857-1921).
While Gabriel, Emma, and Ida remained in Europe, Camilla, Edmund, and Benno immigrated to Canada in the late nineteenth century. Camilla came to Hamilton, Ontario after her marriage in 1866 to Herman Levy, co-founder of the Levy Brothers jewellery business. Edmund became a partner in the business when he first immigrated to Canada in 1871, and lived with Camilla and Herman. Camilla became the acknowledged leader of Jewish women in Hamilton. She served in organizations such as the Deborah Ladies' Aid Society, which eventually became an auxiliary of Temple Anshe Sholom, Canada's oldest Reform congregation, often referred to as the Hughson Street Temple. Edmund established the first Sabbath School in Ontario at Anshe Sholom in 1872 and served as president from 1873 to 1886.
After he was established in Hamilton, Edmund returned to Europe in 1873 to marry Oda Strauss (1854-1913) at Forbach, Lorraine, and then brought her back to Canada with him. The couple moved to Toronto in 1886, where he established a wholesale jewellery business on Yonge Street called Scheuer's under his company Edmund Scheuer Limited. Scheuer's was one of the oldest jewellery firms in Toronto and the oldest established wholesale diamond importer in Canada. Edmund's brother, Benno, also worked for the business as the accountant and then secretary-treasurer. Benno was married to Gatella Strauss (1859-1903) and they had three children: Eddie Jr. (1884-1967), Rhoda (1886-1963) and Isadore (1887-1969). Eddie Jr. and Isadore also worked for their uncle's business. Eddie Jr. started as a clerk and then became vice-president, while Isadore started out as a travelling salesman and jeweller. When their uncle retired in 1922, Eddie Jr. took over as president and his brother Isadore became vice-president of Scheuer's.
In addition to his jewellery business, Edmund Scheuer also taught and supervised the religious school at Holy Blossom Synagogue. He went on to serve in every official capacity at Holy Blossom, including vice-chairman and treasurer of the building committee for the Bond Street building. He also founded The Jewish Free School at 206 Beverley Street for Jewish girls and wrote his own textbook for the school, the first Jewish religious school book printed in Toronto. In 1892, he founded the first Jewish benevolent society in Toronto and was later president of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies. In 1927, the Beverley Street building, which housed Federation offices, was dedicated in his honour and named the "Scheuer House".
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the Scheuer family in Germany, Hamilton, and Toronto. The fonds is made up primarily of photographs of Scheuer family members and friends. It also includes some textual records, including correspondence, marriage certificates, a Toronto Jewish Free School text book, and Holy Blossom Temple Bulletins. Also included are two brass "Scheuer's" window plates which were likely from Edmund Scheuer's jewellery business of the same name.
Notes
Associated Material Note: See the CJC National Archives collection for Edmund Scheuer at: http://www.cjc.ca/template.php?action=archives&Type=1&Language=EN&Rec=253
Name Access
Scheuer (family)
Subjects
Families
Related Material
See OJA vertical file cabinet for "Scheuer, Edmund" and "Levy, Camilla"
See MG 3 A-1
See MG2 G1c
Arrangement
The textual records have been arranged in chronological order into five files. The objects have been described as one file. The fifty-eight photographs have been described as two files and thirty-nine items arranged chronologically
Accession Number
1989-4-2
2004-7-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 47; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
File
Fonds
47
File
8
Material Format
object
Date
[188-?]
Physical Description
2 window plates : brass, green and brass ; 3.5 x 14 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of two brass Scheuer's window plates with green background. The plates are attached to a stand which allow them to remain upright. The plates were likely used at the Scheuer's jewellery store.
Notes
Artifact #29 and #30.
Physical Condition
Fair.
Paint is chipped.
Accession Number
1989-4-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Maurice Berg fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 41; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Maurice Berg fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
41
Item
1
Material Format
object
Date
1954
Physical Description
1 trophy : silver and brass, mounted on black plastic ; 15 x 15 cm circumference
Admin History/Bio
Ajalon Lodge was originally established in 1927 as a Young Judaea Club. In September 1935, it officially became a Lodge of the Zionist Order Habonim. The Lodge was very involved in raising money for Israel (mostly through the UJA), promoting Zionism, and recruiting new members for the Zionist Organization of Canada. Many members fought in the Second World War. The wives of some of the members formed the Ajalon Ladies Auxiliary in 1944. Maurice Berg became a member of Ajalon Lodge in January, 1933.
Scope and Content
Item is an Ajalon Lodge award given to Maurice Berg in 1954. The award consists of a silver cup with two handles mounted on a black plastic stand. A gold plaque is mounted on the stand with a description of the award which reads: "Ajalon Award 25th Anniversary 1954 Maurice Berg".
Notes
Artifact #291.
Subjects
Awards
Physical Condition
In poor condition.
Tarnished and scratched.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2010-11-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-3
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
object
Physical Description
8 photographs : b&w ; 17 x 12 cm or smaller and other material
Date
[ca. 1940] - 1945
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting Aron Racko's experience serving in the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War. Included are photographs of Aron with bandages and cast after his propellor accident and others taken while he was stationed in British Columbia. Also included is one military general service pin and two military volunteer service medals. Finally, accession includes one letter from a Jewish Chaplain, Isaac Rose, to Aron's mother and photocopies of Aron's discharge papers.
Administrative History
Aron Sidney Racko was born in Ontario in 1922 and grew up in Toronto. He joined the Royal Canadian Air Force in December 1939 as an airplane mechanic. In 1942 he was wounded in a possible antisemitic incident after someone turned on the propellar in an airplane he was servicing in Trenton, ON. As a result, Aron never went overseas.
After the war, Aron initially worked as a taxi cab driver, but soon took up construction work building houses and later entered the real estate industry as a broker. He was a member of the Forest Hill Lions Club. Racko passed away in May 2010.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 1 folder of textual records, 2 medals, and 1 pin.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-4
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
3 t-shirts
Date
2002-2008
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records related to the Board of Jewish Education's Educational Services Committee, the UJA Federation's Strategic Planning Committee, the Latner Library, the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre Board of Directors and the opening of the Pardes Shalom memorial garden. The records primarily consist of meeting minutes and reports. In addition, there are three Ashkenaz festival t-shirts.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-17
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-17
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
object
Physical Description
2 photographs : col. ; 10 x 15 cm and 11 x 9 cm and other material
Date
[ca. 1943] - 2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs, textual records and military medals and pins that document Iakov's experience serving in the Soviet Union's military during the Second World War. Included is a photograph of Iakov receiving a medal from the Russian Minister of Infrastructure to commemorate the 50th anniversary since the end of the war (1995), a photocopy of a docment certifying that he fought in the war, several thank you cards from the Russian president and the Russian Consulate to commemorate various anniversaries since the end of the war, a certificate documenting the battles Iakov fought in, newspaper clippings of articles written by Iakov about the war, and one photograph of Iakov at the Vaughan Community Center in Toronto with his English language classmates (2000). Also included is one CCCP Red Star pin, one medal to commemorate the 65th anniversary since the end of the war, and one military rank pin.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 1 folder of textual records, 1 medal and 2 pins.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-1-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-1-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 item
Date
1945-1954
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a small silver plate trophy presented each year by the United Jewish Welfare Fund to the division with the largest percentage of new givers. It was named after J. Irving Oelbaum, who was a former President of the Fund. The first recipient division in 1945 was the Women's Division, followed by the University Students Division, the Metropolitan Division, Youth Division and the Young Men's Division.
Custodial History
The custodial history of this item is unknown. It belonged to the United Jewish Welfare Fund and thus was most likely transferred to the Archives by UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. It was in a box at the back of the vault and was discovered during a sweep of the vault.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-1-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-1-2
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
8 cm of textual records
1 matchbook
Date
1958-1993, predominant 1958-1966
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting Lillian Troster's role as president of the Eglinton Chapter B'nai Brith and as the Israel Bonds chairman for B'nai Brith District One. Included are meeting minutes, correspondence, membership lists, The Tattler newsletters, certificates, fundraising material, convention proceedings, flyers, invitations, speeches, and one match book of the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario.
Custodial History
Records were donated by Lillian's daughter, Cyrel Troster.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-2-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-2-1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
45 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1949-2009
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the records created and accumulated by Rabbi Joseph Kelman. The records detail Kelman's involvement with a number of organizations particluarly Reena, She'arim Hebrew Day School and Beth Emeth Bais Yehuda Synagogue. They also document the numerous awards and tributes he received in his life and detail his personal life. The records primarily consist of personal and professional correspondence, event invitations, photographs, newsclippings, and biographical material. There is also one file folder related to Sol Edell, the brother of the donor, and an oversized photograph of the Harbord Collegiate choral society and orchestra.
Photo Captions:
001: Portrait of Rabbi Joseph Kelman, (Toronto, ON), ca. 1950s.
002: Simcaht Torah celebrations, Beth Emeth Bais Yehuda Synagogue, 100 Elder St. (Toronto, ON), [197-].
003: Rabbi Kelman meets the chief of staff of the Israeli police, Mordecai Gur, [Israel], [197-].
004: Rabbi Joseph Kelman awarded with honorary Doctorate, [198-?].
005: James Harris, Rabbi Joseph Kelman, Liberal leader John Turner and [identified], Beth Emeth Bais Yehuda Synagogue, 100 Elder St. (Toronto, ON), 1984.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of Rabbi Joseph Kelman until his death in 2009. They were donated to the Archives by his wife, Sara Edell Shafler Kelman on Feb. 1, 2012.
Administrative History
Rabbi Kelman was born in Vienna, Austria in 1927, the son of Rabbi Zvi Yehuda and Mirl Kelman and the descendent of a long line of distinguished rabbis. He immigrated to Toronto with his family at the age of three in 1930. He attended Harbord Collegiate and was ordained at Yeshiva University in New York. Beginning in 1953, Kelman became seved as a rabbi in Sherbrooke, QC, Beverley, MA, and Suffern, NY vefore accepting the pulpit at Beth Emeth Bais Yehuda Synagoge in Torotno in 1959. At the time, Beth Emeth was a small congregation in the fledgling Bathurst Manor neighbourhood. He facilitated its merging with Bais Yehuda to form BEBY, and under his guidance it grew to become the third-largest Conservative synagogue in the GTA with a membership of approximately 1,500 families.
Kelman's life work was dedicated to providing opportunities for the developmentally disabled and learning challenged in the Jewish community. He was the founder of the Ezra and Kadima Schools, the Kadima Centre, the Camp Tikvah program, the Reena Foundation, Chai Tikvah and She'arim Hebrew Day School. He also served as a chaplain in Toronto hospitals and jails.
Rabbi Kelman was the recipeint of numerous awards for his contributions to Jewish education and community service, including a honourary doctorate from Ryerson University and Tel Aviv University. The Kelman School for Jewish Education at Tel Aviv University is named in his honour. Rabbi Kelman died on June 27, 2009 at the age of 82.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Includes approx. 50 photographs, 1 CD and 1 artifact.
Subjects
Rabbis
Name Access
Kelman, Joseph, 1927-2009
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-2-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-2-5
Material Format
text
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1942-1967
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two Hadassah Daughter of Israel Chapter cookbooks from Timmins, Ontario (1960, 1967) and the Book of Jewish Recipes published by the Jewish Standard and edited by Tina Lohman (1942).
Custodial History
The provenance and custodial history for these items is unknown.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-24
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-24
Material Format
textual record
object
graphic material
Physical Description
12 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1942-2005, predominant 1942-1955
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities of Albert Edelstein and his family. The bulk of the records document Albert's involvement in the Habonim-Dror labour Zionist youth movement. Included are Habonim concert programmes, correspondence, notes, flyers, and newsletters as well as notes and correspondence documenting the activities and operation of Camp Kvutza. Also included are photographs, invitations and guest lists to the Habonim reunion in Toronto (1983), a CD containing information related to the 75th anniversary of the Habonim movement, and a newspaper clipping, notes, and a badge related to Camp Gesher. Accession also contains a brochure, a broadside, and event programme books of the Jewish Farband Folk Schools, and a Bureau of Jewish Education brochure. In addition, there are I.L.G.W.U. membership dues cards belonging to Ida Edelstein, issues of the Labour Zionist publications Farband Chaver (1943) and Insight (1984), and fundraising material related to the Israel Histadrut Campaign. There are also programmes, flyers and brochures of various Jewish organizations including, Hadassah, UJWF, United Jewish People's Order, YM-YWHA, Hashomer Hatzair, and the State of Israel Bonds. Finally accession consists of Second World War Victory Bonds receipt and brochure, a Monteith Inn (Shopsowitz) dance dinner menu, and a Zionist Youth Committee of Toronto flyer for a march in support of the Jews suffering through the Holocaust in Europe.
Custodial History
Material was in the possession of Albert Edelstein until its donation in 2012.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 87 photographs (17 negatives), 1 badge, and 1 CD.
Language note: records are in English and Yiddish.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-9-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-9-6
Material Format
text
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
[ca. 1952]-[ca. 1962]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a Hadassah Naomi Chapter cookbook, 3rd ed., published around 1952. The cookbook was originally owned by Evelyn (Quitt) Drutz and also contain handwritten recipes and inserted copies of recipes from various newspapers and magazines.
Custodial History
The cookbook was in the possession of Mark Drutz, the son of Evelyn (Quitt) Drutz.
Administrative History
Mark Drutz is the youngest child of Harold (Hymie) and Evelyn Sandra (Quitt) Drutz. Harold (1913-1998) was born to Phillip (Fyvish) and Annie Drutz of Russia. In 1946 he married Evelyn Quitt (1924-1999), the daughter of Samuel (1891-?) and Bertha (1890-1953) Quitt, also of Russia. They had two children: Paul, who ultimately succumbed to AIDS (1947-1994) and Mark (aka Donald, 1951-). Evelyn and Harold also helped to raise Paul's son and their grandchild, Ezra Matthew (1975-).
Harold worked in the garment trade as a pattern cutter and also served in the Canadian Medical Corps during the Second World War. He was one of 7 children, his siblings being: Meyer, Daniel, Harry (Drue), David, Pauline and Mollie (Simmons). Evelyn was one of 5 chidren, her siblings being: Estelle (Drue - married Harold's brother Harry), Rivka (Smolkin), Gordon (Gerhson), and Beverley (Brown).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-2
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 jacket
1 cream and sugar service set
Date
[195-]-1958
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one varsity jacket with a YMHA crest, as well as a copper cream and sugar service set in celebration of the society's 50th anniversary in 1958. The items belonged to former member, Marvin Allen.
Custodial History
The items were donated by Marlee Petroff, the daughter of Marvin Allen
Administrative History
Marvin Allen (1931-1995) was born 15 Jan. 1931 to Percy and Anne Appelbaum. As a child he attended the Palmerston Ave. school and Harbord Collegiate. He then took his chartered accountancy exam though Queen's Univeristy. In 1952, he married Bertha Allen and had four children: Marlee (Petroff), Laruel (Sandler), Kelvin and Jordan. Marvin was introduced to the YMHA society through his friends. He was also a member of Beth Tikvah Synagogue. Marvin died on 5 Feb. 1995 at the age of 64.
The YMHA Mutual Benefit Society was founded in 1908 and was not affiliated with the YMHA athletic assocation.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-11-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-11-1
Material Format
graphic material
object
textual record
Physical Description
5 cm of textual records
5 objects
25 photographs
Date
1945-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to The Lizzies and the Lizzies Old Timer Association including newspaper articles, membership lists, a proclamation, booklets, articles, photos, 1 hat, 2 shirts, and 1 luggage tag.
Custodial History
This material was gathered together by Bronstine and Cornack and donated to the Archives. Further accruals from other former Lizzies are expected.
Administrative History
The Lizzies were a collection of sports teams that played amateur baseball and basketball in Toronto starting in 1912 in the school yard of the Elizabeth Street School. This “Playground” was situated in Toronto’s first Jewish quarter, St. John’s Ward, or simply “The Ward”. Supervised by the Parks Department’s Playground and Recreation branch, these playgrounds were popular places for inner-city children. They hosted athletic teams that competed in intramural competitions. The Lizzies won more than 150 titles at the city, provincial, and national levels in baseball, basketball, football, and hockey.Bob Abate (1893-1981), coached the Lizzies’ teams for 26 years and in 1990, the Elizabethan Recreation Centre (at Grace Street and Bloor Street West) was renamed the Bob Abate Recreation Centre in his honour. The Lizzies Old Timers Association is run by Harvey Bronstine and Norm Cornack and they bring together the remaining members of the Lizzies annually at a dinner.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-2-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-2-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 ring : gold
Date
[ca. 1938]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one men's YMHA ring that was owned by Louis Green.
Custodial History
The ring was in the possession of Louis's son, Irving, who donated it to the OJA. He explained that Louis never really wore the ring (perhaps only a few times) and kept it in a drawer for many years.
Administrative History
Louis Green (1900-1978) came to Canada from Lithuania around 1921. He worked as a furrier and owned his own shop, J. and L. Green Fur Company, which was located on Spadina Ave. The company was named after Louis and Joe Green (unrelated), but Louis was the sole proprietor. They made inexpensive fur coats, which they sold to Eaton's and other small stores. Louis met his future wife, Frances Saperia (1904-1995), when she entered his store with a friend to shop for a coat. They married around 1927 and had two children together: Joan Kerbel (1930-1995, married Norman Kerbel) and Irving Green (b. 1932). Louis was actively involved in the Farband of Lithuanian Jews, and was also a member of a men's social group of the YMHA.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-6-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-6-2
Material Format
textual record
text
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
7 books
Date
1966-1974
Scope and Content
Accession consists of several copies of the Canadian Jewish Review, the Chronicle Review and the Canadian Jewish Chronicle Review. Also included is an Ottawa Jewish bulletin and several books.
Custodial History
Records were in the possession of Stanley Shankman.
Administrative History
Stanley Shankman was the former owner of the Canadian Jewish Chronicle Review. He purchased the Canadian Jewish Chronicle (est. 1914, successor to the Jewish Times, est 1897) in Montreal in 1962 when it was experiencing financial difficulties. Max Melamet was his first editor. He later purchased the Canadian Jewish Review (est. 1921) and combined the two publications into one: the Candian Jewish Chronicle Review (ca. 1967), which published editions in both Montreal and Toronto. Carol Frilegh was the paper's first edtor.
When Ray Wolfe, Donald Carr and Charles Bronfman purchased the Candian Jewish News from M. J. Nurenberger, Shankman sold them the Candian Jewish Chronicle Review to incorporate into one community paper serving the two cities.
Subjects
Newspapers
Name Access
Shankman, Stanley
Canadian Jewish Chronicle Review
Canadian Jewish Review
Canadian Jewish Chronicle
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-3
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 kippah : blue and silver ; 16 cm in diam.
2 ribbons : green, blue and gold ; 16 cm long
Date
1999, 2009
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one kippah, one Executive member ribbon, and one general member ribbon documenting the 100th and 110th anniversaries of the Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-8-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-8-3
Material Format
text
Physical Description
1 book : 166 p.
Date
[198-?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one cookbook published by the Sisterhood of the Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue and the Dorothy Rothschild Chapter of Hadassah (Sudbury).
Subjects
Food
Women
Name Access
Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue
Hadassah-Wizo
Places
Subury, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-11-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-11-6
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records and other material
Date
[ca. 1950]-2005
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records and objects documenting the Judean Benevolent and Friendly Society. Included are anniversary books and ritual books, a voting box and livery collars that were worn by the executive and general membership. Collars with the gavel symbols were worn by Masters, collars with keys were worn by Guards, and collars with quills (not included in this accession) were worn by treasurers. The plain blue collars were worn by the general membership.
Custodial History
Records were donated by Darryn Mandel, the son of Master Sam Mandel.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 5 livery collars, 1 voting box, and 1 pin.
Subjects
Societies
Name Access
Judean Benevolent and Friendly Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-3-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-3-3
Material Format
object
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual material
3 objects
Date
[196-?]-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two program books for the Toronto Jewish Film Festival, 1997 (at Bloor Cinema) and 2012, and two pins that belonged to Lillian Troster. One pin is fron B'nai Brith Women and the other is from the Federation of Zionist Organizations of Canada. Also included is one small menorah pin, possibly from B'nai Brith Women or Girls.
Name Access
Federation of Zionist Organizations of Canada
Troster, Lillian
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-2-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-2-10
Material Format
text
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records and graphic material
Date
[194-]-[199-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the activities of Canadian Young Judaea, as well as a small amount of Ajalon Lodge records that belonged to former member Maurice Berg. Berg was also involved in Young Judaea through the Zionist Organization of Canada. Included are CYJ photo albums documenting various social events as well as several Kinus (1950s-1990s); correspondence, newsletters and reports (1960s-1990s); a CYJ alumni reunion book; Hanoar Hatzioni newsletters (1976-1992); meeting minutes, reports and the constitution (1940s-1960s); two books about A.M. Klein; Ajalon Lodge photo albums and tour of Israel photographs (1960s-1980s, 1979); as well as one pencil drawing of Maurice Berg (1977).
Subjects
Recreation
Zionism
Name Access
Berg, Maurice, 1913-1993
Canadian Young Judaea
Source
Archival Accessions
358 records – page 1 of 8.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content