Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
1901 records – page 1 of 39.
Accession Number
2010-5-15
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-5-15
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
34 photographs : b&w, some sepia toned ; 17 x 23 cm or smaller
1 cm of textual records
Date
1944-2000
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs and textual records that document Bernard's activities in the Royal Canadian Airforce during the Second World War. Included are images of Bernard and his photography school classmates, shots taken just after the Bergen Belsen Concentration Camp was liberated, such as, shots of captured S.S. guards and of the Sunday picnics organized for the children, and images taken by Bernard while he was on leave. Accession also includes Bernard's unpublished memoir of his war experience (2000) and one letter written by Bernard to his family while he was stationed in Germany (1945).
Administrative History
Bernard Louis Yale was born in Toronto on May 3, 1922 to Morris and Ann (née Krasnanski) Yalofsky. Although Morris and Ann were both born in the Ukraine, they resided in Romania prior to their immigration to Canada in 1922. Morris worked in Toronto as an upholsterer until his untimely death at the age of 35.
Bernard attended Central Commerce high school and upon graduating registered for a chartered accounting course. He worked as an accounting student for the chartered accountant Jules Newman.
During the Second World War, Bernard served in the Royal Canadian Air Force as a photographer. He arrived in England in 1944 and was shortly thereafter posted to 443 Squadron, 144 Wing (a Spitfire Wing) in the town of Ford. While stationed there, he was responsible for servicing cinegun cameras that captured the damage caused each time the Spitfires fired ammunition at a target.
From Ford, Bernard moved with his squadron to various other towns; including, St. Croix Sur Mer (during the invasion of Normandy), Chartres, Louvain and other towns in Belgium and Holland. In 1945, his squadron began moving into Germany and encountered slave labourers who had just been liberated. Soon after, Bernard was posted to serve in the occupation forces with 84 Group Disarmament Staff. His unit was responsible for disarming and dismantling the German air force. As part of this unit, Bernard processed photographs of Bergen Belsen Concentration Camp guards, the burning of the wooden quarters used for Bergen Belsen’s inmates, and other structures and remains found there. A squadron leader in Bernard’s unit, Ted Aplin, organized Sunday picnics for the children of Bergen Belsen during the summer of 1945. Bernard captured many photographs of these outings.
After the war, Bernard returned to Toronto and resumed work as a chartered accountant. He married Esther Wineberg in 1950 and together they had three children: Robert Yale (b. 1954), Sharon Yale (b. 1957), and Martin Yale (b. 1960). Bernard passed away on September 16, 2001.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Descriptive Notes
Scanned photos can be found here: file://s-oja01\data\Digital%20Assets\2010-5-15yale
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-5-17
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-5-17
Material Format
moving images
Physical Description
1 DVD ( 58 mins., 41 secs.)
Date
2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 1 DVD titled "Reclaiming Our Pride: A documentary film about Pride and Prejudice" by Martin Gladstone. The film explores the controversy that surrounded the 2009 Gay Pride Parade generated by the inclusion of groups that branded Israel an apartheid state.
Descriptive Notes
Produced by Queer Films Corporation.
Subjects
Gay pride parades
Israel
Jewish sexual minorities
Name Access
Gladstone, Martin
Pride Toronto
Queers Against Israeli Apartheid
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-5-18
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-5-18
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w
1 folder textual records
1 poster
Date
[ca. 1920]-[ca. 1955]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of material documenting the career of Louis Herman. It includes music programs dating from around 1920 until 1939, bulletins, the Y-Times (1938 & 1942) as well as correspondence, newsletters, skits, music and programs from the war years. Finally, it includes a poster as well as three photographs of Louis Herman taken during the course of his career.
Custodial History
The material was donated to the OJA by Louis' son.
Administrative History
Louis Herman was born on 4 January 1911. His father, Reverand Samuel Herman, was a cantor who first worked in Montreal and then moved with his family to Toronto. They lived at 20 Major Street during the 1920s and 1930s.
Louis was a child prodigy who studied under Cantor Yossele Rosenblatt. He established a music career as a boy, singing soprano with the synagogue choir and later performing on the Maxwell Coffee Hour in the United States, which was hosted by the New York Jewish radio station WEVD.
During the 1920s and 1930s he sang professionally and performed at a variety of venues, entertaining Jewish organizations and groups in Toronto. He also performed outside of the city at that time in the American mid-west and the northeast.
After the start of the war, Louis enlisted and became a private in the Canadian Army. He entertained the troops, appearing in stage shows in Canada and overseas, often appearing with famous acts like Wayne and Shuster. He also saw combat duty.
After the war he returned to Canada and studied at the Royal Conservatory of Music. After completing his studies, he decided to become a cantor like his father. He married Yetta and moved with their children to Camden, New Jersey in 1957 in order to serve as the cantor to Congregation Beth El. They lived there until the late 1960s, when the the synagogue was relocated to Cherry Hill. Cantor Herman retired in 1982. He passed away on December 16, 2004. His son David is the Rabbi Shaarei Tfiloh in Baltimore.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: also see accession 2007-3-6.
Subjects
Entertainers
Name Access
Herman, Louis
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-5-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-5-9
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
12 photographs : b&w and col. (jpg)
1 cm textual records (jpg)
Date
[ca. 1942] - 2007
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs, certificates, newspaper clippings, military routine orders and ephemera that document Harold Kates's service in the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War.
Administrative History
Harold Kates was born in Toronto on August 4, 1921 to Rose and Sholom Katz. The family lived on Roberts Street and Harold went to Lansdown school. He enlisted in the army in September 1939, but left in 1940 to join the Royal Canadian Air Force as an airplane mechanic after realizing his regiment would not be going overseas. While serving overseas, Harold was stationed in England, Africa and Greece. After the war, Harold returned to Toronto and received his auto mechanic license. He soon became interested in electricity and opened his own business, Kates Elect, which he operated for sixteen years. In addition, Harold was a member of Toronto's Auxillary Police Force. On October 20, 1954 he married Terry Rafalove.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Last name was previously Katz
Related material note:See also oral history 391
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-5-19
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-5-19
Material Format
moving images
Physical Description
2 DVDs
Date
2003
Scope and Content
This accession contains one original and one copy of a digital video recording documentary relating to the life of Colonel Jack Marshall. It was produced by his nephew, Dr. Lawrence Gaum in 2003.
Administrative History
Jack Marshall was born in 1919 in Glace Bay, Cape Breton. His parents were Louis and Rose and he was the seventh of 11 children. His father owned a tailor shop and made a fair living. Unfortunately, Louis passed away in 1933 and the family had a difficult time making ends meet after his death during the Depression years. Jack was a fair student and a talented athlete. After he graduated, he completed a year of business studies at Mount Allison University but had to drop out due to lack of funds.
He enlisted in the Royal Canadian Ordinance Corps on 6 May 1942. He was first stationed in Aldershot, England, where he was selected as a pre-officer cadet. Rather than attending officer training school, Jack decided to join the North Shore New Brunswick Regiment and head off for battle. His regiment partiicpated in the Normandy Beach invasion in 1944. He served for 58 days and after surviving that bloody battle, he returned to England to complete his officer training courses. After he graduated, he was appointed a Lieutenant with the Canadian Infantry Corps. For the following year he served in Holland and Germany and took over the D Company platoon.
While in England, he married Sylvia Rothman who was from Britain. Towards the end of the war, he was promoted to the rank of Captain. The couple moved to Canada and established roots in Glace Bay and later Cornerbrook, Newfoundland, where they had their three children. Jack opened up a chain of drug stores on the island. In 1950, he joined the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and was promoted in 1953 to Major and Commander. He later was raised to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, and ultimately in 1959, was apointed Commander of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment.
In 1968 he decided to run for office for the Federal Conservative Party.He won his seat and served as the MP for his riding up until 1974. In 1978, Prime Minister Trudeau named him to the Senate. He subsequently established and chaired the Senate Sub-Committee on Veterans Affairs. During this time and later on, he became known as one of the great advocates for Canadian veterans. During the 1990s, in fact, he served as National Commander of the Jewish Veterans and was later appointed Grand President of the Canadian Legion.
He retired from the Senate in 1994 at the age of 75 and opened up a bed and breakfast with his second wife, Evelyn White. In 2004, Jack Marshall passed away at the age of 84.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-1
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
ca. 125 photographs : col. (50 negatives) ; 10 x 12 cm and 35 mm
Date
1998-2003
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of various Women's Campaign and Advocacy events including Mizrachi missions, telethons, annual meetings and officer installations and a protest against the abuse of the traditional marriage Get.
Custodial History
The records were in the office of Maxine Bessin, the former director of Women's Campaign. They were transferred to the Archives by her assistant Brenda Cooper.
Administrative History
UJA Federation Women's Campaign and Advocacy (WC&A) was the precursor name for Women's Philanthropy, the current women's division of UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. It grew out of a merger between the former Jewish Women's Federation (JWF), an advocacy group with representatives from various women's groups in the city of Toronto, and the UJA Women's Campaign, the women's fundraising division of the United Jewish Appeal. Although governed by separate executives and mandates, the two groups worked together to raise money and provide services through affiliated Jewish community agencies and organizations. Together, they functioned as the Toronto Jewish Congress' Women's Division and the subsequent UJA Federation Women's Division until their official merger around 2000 created the UJA Federation's Women's Campaign and Advocacy.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-3
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (jpg)
Date
[194-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a scanned photograph of a bar mitzvah celebration at the Shedlover Synagogue. The photograph was taken from the balcony where the women would sit during services. The man standing in front of the leaded window in the centre is Max Fruchtman, who was president of the shul at that time.
Custodial History
Linda Fruchtman, the secretary of the Shedlover Young Men's Society, brought in the photograph. She retains the original.
Administrative History
The Shedlover shul was located at 134 D’Arcy. It was a small synagogue of immigrants from Szylow, Poland. It has been completely torn down.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Descriptive Notes
The synagogue is sometimes referred to as the Shidlower shul.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-4
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
9 photographs : col.
Date
2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a DVD containing images which document the Aba Bayefsky mural located in the BJCC. The images are saved in DNG, TIF and JPEG format.
Custodial History
The DVD was transferred to the archives by Stephanie Olin Chapman.
Administrative History
The Aba Bayefsky mural, titled "Swifter than Eagles, Stronger than Lions," was located in the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre until 2010, when the building was demolished.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-5
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm and 13 x 21 cm
Date
1925-[194-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two photographs of Bernstein family members. One documents a women's meeting at a home on 678 Crawford Street. Second from left is Esther (Ettie) Bernstein and beside her is Eva Norris. The other photograph is labelled: Organization Meeting of the United Jewish Farmers of Ontario, Holy Blossom Synagogue, March 25, 1925. This photograph has a number of individuals identified on it, including: Dr. Brickner, Hon. Pres.; S. Samuels, Vice Pres.; H. Shackman, Treas.; M. Berman, Executive; S. Levine, Secty; M. Borinsky, Executive; J. Smith, Executive; M. Borenstein, Executive. A member of the donor's family started to identify individuals by marking the photograph with pen. These include Moishe Yukel Bernstein (the donor's great-grandfather), Isadore Bernstein (his grandfather), Tom White, Alta Crystal, Mr. Samuels, Mr. Krupinsky & Saul Crystal.
Subjects
Farmers
Places
Crawford Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-6
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 pin
Date
[ca.1950]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a B'nai Brith pin given to Sam Shaffer approximately 60 years ago.
Custodial History
The pin was mailed in by Nancy Shaffer to be included with the Shaffer family records. Sam Shaffer is the donor's husband.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-7
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
26 photographs : col. ; 10 x 15 cm or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Date
1962-2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs and textual records which document the Young Maccabees organization. The records include photocopies of articles and a speech regarding the history of the Young Maccabees club and members. Additionally there is a copy of the club's statement of purpose. The photographs document Young Maccabees lectures in 1985 and 1986. Many of the individuals in the photographs have been identified on the verso.
Custodial History
The photograph was donated by Luba Richardson. Her late husband, Sam Richardson, was a member of the Young Maccabees.
Administrative History
The Young Maccabees was a club for Jewish boys created by Alan Coatsworth in 1923. Coatsworth himself was Christian, but keenly interested in helping the poor Jewish boys in his neighbourhood. The organization served as popular discussion group for the youth. Irving Himel and other former Young Maccabees later created the Alan Coatsworth Lecture Series in his honour as a way of furthering racial harmony.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: see related accessions #1991-1-7 and 2010-3-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-8
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 11 x 9 cm
1 directory
Date
[ca.1950]-1965
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a membership directory for the Art Diggers in 1964-1965 and a photograph of Joseph Rosenfeld, a lawyer who practiced on Carlton Street. Rosenfeld was a colleague and mentor to the donor's husband, Darrell Draper.
Administrative History
Nancy Frankel (b. 1928) is the daughter of Carl and Dorothy Jacobs Frankel. She married Darrell Draper on December 10th, 1949. Nancy is an active member of the Jewish community and was a member of the Art Diggers group -- a club run by the Council of Jewish Women that met regularly to learn about art. Nancy is a longtime volunteer at the OJA.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-5-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-5-4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
5 cm textual records and other material
Date
1923-1950, predominant 1942-1950
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records that document Leonard's activities as a bomber in the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War as well as his activities in the immediate post-war years. Textual records include letters written by Leonard to his family during the war in which he discusses such things as his fellow servicemen, the contents of parcels received from his family, his responsibilities as second navigator, and his plans for upcoming leave's of absence. Also included is Leonard's Royal Canadian Air Force flying log book (1943-1948).
Scrapbook contains photographs of Leonard's childhood and wartime experience, such as, images of his airforce crew and fellow servicemen on leave. Scrapbook also contains images of Leonard's family and friends from the post-war era, as well as some textual records, including Leonard's wartime identity card, will and map of Germany.
Administrative History
Leonard was born in Toronto on March 3, 1923 to Samuel and Rebecca (nee Rottenberg) Berger. He served in the Royal Canadian Air Force as a bomber during the Second World War and married Goldie Fine in 1950.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Descriptive Notes
Includes 1 scrapbook, 1 RCAF flying log book, and 1 RCAF patch.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-9
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
2 cm of textual records
Date
1959-2008
Scope and Content
Accession consists of materials documenting Miriam Beckerman's translation activities for the Ivansk Project -- an initiative to preserve the history of the Jewish community in Ivansk, Poland. Among these professional records are original and copied notes, translations and correspondence. The accession also contains personal correspondence from Miriam's husband, Moshe, regarding the transfer of repatriation payments owed to him as an Israeli prisoner of war.
Administrative History
Miriam Beckerman (nee Dashkin) is a Yiddish literature translator. She attended the Farband Folkshule in Toronto during the 1930s and later worked as a bilingual secretary (Yiddish and English) at the Ontario region, Canadian Jewish Congress. In 1946, she travelled to Israel where she met her husband, Moshe Beckerman, at a kibbutz. The couple and their children emigrated from Israel to Toronto in 1952. Beckerman continues to work as a Yiddish translator. She has a number of published translations, including her recent collaborative work "A Thousand Threads: A story through Yiddish letters." Her work has been recognized by the Dora Teitelboim Foundation of Coral Gables Fla. Moshe passed away in 1993.
Descriptive Notes
Language Note: material is in English and Yiddish
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-11
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1984
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one copy of Rabbi Abraham Fine's recollections of the Peterborough Jewish community. Manuscript contains one colour photograph of Rabbi Fine.
Custodial History
Manuscript was donated by Ken Beck. His parents lived in Peterborough from the early 1940s to the 1970s and Ken grew up there. Mr. Fine gave the manuscript to Ken's parents, and Ken maintained it in his possession until its donation to OJA.
Subjects
Religion
Communities
Name Access
Fine, Abraham
Places
Peterborough, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-12
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1945
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one postcard sent to Mrs. M. Gelber of Toronto inviting her to see Sir Ellsworth Flavelle, Chairman of the Canadian Palestine Committee, speak on the Palestine issue on Saturday November 3rd, 1945.
Custodial History
The postcard was sent to the archives by Eiran Harris, Archivist Emeritus, at the Jewish Public Library in Montreal.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-13
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-13
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 rifle oil container : brass ; 9 cm high ; 15 mm in diam.
Date
[between 1939 and 1945]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one container for rifle oil used by Larry Halfand in the Royal Canadian Army during the Second World War.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-14
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-14
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
16 photographs : b&w (jpg)
2 textual records (pdf)
Date
[ca. 1910] - [ca. 1955]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of scanned photographs and textual records that document the professional activities of members of the Natanson family and their family life. Photographs include images of the family's pickle business (ca. 1910) and store Moffat's North York Bargain House (ca. 1955), portraits of Nathan Natanson with his violin (ca. 1925) and Albert Natanson in his tap dancing outfit (ca. 1925), as well as images of Ida Natanson as a nurse (1938) and childhood photographs of Lazar and Bob. Textual records include a brochure for Nathan's dancing school and a notice announcing the employment of Albert at Helwig & Leitch, Inc.
Administrative History
Originally from Romania, Benjamin and Rose (nee Gratz) Natanson immigrated to Ottawa in 1902 and eventually settled in Toronto in 1905. Benjamin owned a pickle company at 3242 Dundas Street West which he operated until it was destroyed in a fire on August 13, 1930.
Benjamin and Rose had six children together: Albert (b. 1900), Freida (b. 1902), Celia (b. 1905), Nathan (b. 1909), Ida (b. 1916) and Lazar (b. 1918). Three of their children were involved in the arts; Celia and Nathan were both musicians and Albert was a tap dancer. At 15 years of age, Nathan won a scholarship at the Institute of Musical Art (now known as the Julliard School) and moved to New York with Celia and Freida. As a child, Albert was a tapdancer in Showboat on Broadway and later operated his own dancing school in Montreal; Nat Anson's Dancing School.
Ida became one of the first Jewish nurses in Ontario. She moved to Saskatchewan after marrying Doctor Nathan Jacks. Lazar married Muriel Weinstein (b. 1923) in 1951 and they opened a store, Moffat's North York Bargain House, at 1291 Wilson Avenue that same year. They were likely one of the first Jewish families to move to the Downsview area. Lazar and Muriel had two children: Eileen and Bob.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Families
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-15
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-15
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
[ca. 1952]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one brochure used as part of a fundraising campaign for the purchase of Hillel House at the University of Toronto.
Descriptive Notes
Hillel House is now known as the Wolfond Centre for Jewish Campus Life
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-16
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-16
Material Format
sound recording
Physical Description
1 audio disc (6 min.) : 45 rpm, vinyl ; 18 cm
Date
[ca. 1970]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one record titled "The Unknown Band: Live at the Unknown Auditorium," which features the songs "Lubavitcher Twist" and "Shake it up Zayde". The Unknown Band members are Zale Newman, Chaim Shainhouse, Uncle Milty (Moishe Tanenbaum), and Richard Levine. The album was recorded at Stakar Studios, Toronto and Saul Helman was the Studio Engineer.
Custodial History
The origin of the record is unknown.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-19
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-19
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 photographs : b&w, col. ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Date
1987-1995
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the Business and Professional Women's Network of UJA Toronto. Included are BP newsletter updates from 1989-1992, and programs and correspondence regarding annual installation of officers dinners. There are also two photographs: one of a Youth Aliyah village and another of a scene from "The Quarrel."
Custodial History
The records were brought in by Lisa Morrison. We returned a number of duplicates of the newsletters and programs to her.
Descriptive Notes
For related records see accession 1997-7-5.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-21
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-21
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 glass jar : glass ; 8 cm in diam. x 15 cm in height
Date
[ca. 1930]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a clear glass jar with a star of David, the company name "Toronto Hebrew Association of Butter Dealers," and the price of the jar (5 cents) embossed on it.
Custodial History
This item was found in the reading room.
Administrative History
Jewish dairymen banded together to form the Toronto Hebrew Association of Butter Dealers for commercial protection and co-operative action; a counterpart by independent merchants to the trade union movement. These bottles contained a variety of dairy products (usually butter and sour cream) and were returnable for 5 cents.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: for additional Toronto Hebrew Association of Butter Dealers glass jars see accession 1985-8-2 and Fonds 22. These are all 10 cm in height.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-22
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-22
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
1.55 m of textual records and other material
Date
1958-[ca.2009]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the operations, programs and events of the Lions Club of Forest Hill. Non-textual records include photographs, a VHS tape of the closing affair memorial service (June 1996), a floppy disk, Club vests with pins and metal badges. The textual records include newsletters, correspondence, brochures, member lists, certificates of duty, organizational charts, receipts, meeting minutes and agendas. Textual records also include announcements and financial records from charity and fundraising events put on by the Lions Club and a book titled, "The Toronto Lion" about different club histories in Toronto.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 2 vests, ca. 50 pins, ca. 50 photographs, 1 floppy disk, and 1 VHS tape
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-1
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1.2 m of textual material
Date
1990-2006
Scope and Content
The records in this accession include: Executive Committee records such as agendas, minutes and reports (1995-2001); Board of Directors records (1995-2003); AGM records (1990-2006); and annual budget materials (1995-2004).
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: also see the following accessions for related material: 1993-6/3, 1994-5/1, 1995-7/1, 1996-2/1, 1996-9/2, 2004-6/9, 2009-12/10.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
40 cm of textual records
Date
[1998?]-2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 1 box of gittin.
Use Conditions
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director and Rabbi in charge of gittin (or the Chair of the Reform Rabbis of Greater Toronto) prior to accessing the records.
Descriptive Notes
Gittin are in sealed envelopes and identified by the surname(s) of parties involved. The start date assigned to this accession may not be accurate as the gittin are sealed and not all are marked with a date on the envelope.
Subjects
Get (Jewish law)
Name Access
Reform Rabbis of Greater Toronto
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-17
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-17
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 6 cm
Date
[ca. 1944] - [ca. 2003]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photograph of Norman Gulko that was taken in Holland near the end of the Second World War and Norman's unpublished war memoir entitled "A Toronto Boy Goes to War."
Administrative History
Norman Gulko was born in Toronto on March 4, 1923. He was conscripted into the Royal Canadian Army in late 1942 and joined Canada's active service in 1944. Norman was initially stationed in Italy, but was moved to various other cities in France, Holland and Germany. After the war, Norman received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Toronto and worked as a social worker in Toronto from 1952 until his retirement in 1988.
Name Access
Gulko, Norman
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
Date
1911-1949
Scope and Content
The accession includes a variety of items such as a bound volume of the Toronto UJWF annual reports (1940-1949), a hagadah from 1911 used by Sol Eisen, a first edition volume of the Naomi Cook Book (1928), ketubot for Sol and Rebecca Eisen and Ethel Soloway to Ben Litvack and scrapbook and diaries produced by Sol Eisen (1915-1943). The scrapbooks include many clippings documenting his own accomplishments, family simchas or other topics that were of interest to him. The diaries are mostly hand written and detail his thoughts and activities from the time that he was a student until he was employed with the Canada Life Assurance Company.
Custodial History
The donor is Sol Eisen's son. He gave Steve Speisman the diaries and scrapbooks to microfilm in 1979 and the OJA has had those copies in their holdings since that time. A copy of the microfilm was also provided to the Multicultural History Society of Ontario.
Administrative History
Sol EIsen was born in Toronto on 15 February 1898. He was the son of Abraham and Nettie (Baker) Eisen. He completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Toronto. It was there that he established the Menorah Society in 1917. He graduated in 1918. He then completed a post-graduate degree at Harvard (1919) and completed his law studies at Osgoode Law School (1921).
Soon after completing his studies, he married Rebecca Dunkelman on 14 June 1922. The wedding took place at Holy Blossom and was officiated by Rabbi Brickner. The couple had three children: Morton, Annette (m. Yolles) and Gloria (m. Baskin).
He initially worked as a barister and had an office within the Dominion Bank Building at Queen and Bay. In 1936 he was offered a position with the Canada Life Assurance Company. He became one of their leading sellers in North America. He served on the board of the companies Millionaire's Club for many years.
Eisen was very involved in the Jewish community as well. He was a member of the Primrose Club, the Island Yacht Club, the Palestine Lodge and the Holy Blossom Brotherhood. He assisted in the formation of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto as well as the Canadian Jewish Congress. In fact, he attended the first CJC meeting in Montreal in 1919 as a Toronto delegate. He was also one of the founders of JIAS.
Outside of the community he was involved in and was a founder and president of the Forest Hill Lion's Club (1954) and was active in the Masons, the ROM and the Toronto Board of Trade.
Eisen was also an avid collector of Canadiana. His holdings included books, pamphlets, printed ephemera from across the country. He passed away in 1974 and left his collection or rare books and other items to the University of Waterloo.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: see accession 1979-9/38 for the microfilm version of the scrapbooks and diaries.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-18
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-18
Material Format
graphic material
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
222 photographs (negatives, prints, jpg) : col. and b&w ; 18 x 13 cm and smaller
Date
[191-]-[ca. 1970]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs which document the Gilbert family and Gilbert Studios. Photographs of the Gilbert family are predominately portraits of Nina and the children during the 1920s and 1930s. The Gilbert Studios material largely consist of portraits of members of the Jewish community and fashion and wedding photographs. Also included in the accession are both negatives and a print of the Elite Studios storefront taken in 1923. Other notable photograph subjects in the accession include the B. Sherman Hardware storefront, Lou and Nat Turofsky, Harry Sonshine, Leon Weinstein, J. Irving Oelbaum, and Alex Levinsky. All images in the accession are black and white except for a print of Nathan Phillips.
Custodial History
The photographs were donated in 2008 and notes indicate that the archivist was awaiting documentation from Jack Gilbert. Since that time, some materials have been returned to the donor upon request. Previous archivists placed the negatives in acid-free envelopes and scanned a portion of the material. The original conservation report for the glass negatives completed in 2008 evaluated 42 glass negatives, but only 26 remain in this accession.
Administrative History
Nachman "Nathan" Gittelmacher was born in Kiev, Ukraine in 1898, the son of Shloima and Mattie Gittelmacher. Suffering terribly during the pogroms of 1918 and 1920, he fled from place to place and then emigrated to Canada in 1921. Trained as a photographer in Europe, he opened his own photography studio in Toronto in 1922, called Elite Studios. First located at 513 Queen Street West, he soon moved to 615 Queen Street West. Nathan serviced a largely Jewish clientele, photographing weddings, bar mitzvahs, as well as Jewish community events.
Nathan was married to Nina Sokoloff and they had three sons and a daughter: Louis ("Lou"), Albert ("Al"), Jack, and Ruth.
During the early 1940s, the family legally changed their name from Gittelmacher to Gilbert and subsequently altered the name of the business to Gilbert Studios. When Nathan moved to the United States, Al, who had been working there since a young age, took over the business and under his management it thrived. In order to accommodate his growing clientele, he moved the studio to Eglinton Avenue and later to 170 Davenport Road, where it is situated today.
Al made a name for himself as a portrait photographer, using natural light in innovative ways to create more natural looking portraits. Al’s primary work involved producing portraits of families, weddings, bar mitzvahs, special events, and dinners. Most of his early clients were from the Jewish community. In turn, he also was paid to produce portraits of local entrepreneurs, and his multi-year contract with the city gave him sole responsibility for the production of portraits of the mayors and councilmen and women. He later branched out beyond the Jewish community, and began to produce images of businessmen and leaders from the Italian community in Toronto.
In addition to the paid contracts involving local personalities and groups, Al Gilbert has produced many artistic portraits of local, national, and international celebrities as well as artists and leaders such as Wayne and Shuster, Howie Mandel, Oscar Peterson, Frank Sinatra, Duke Ellington, Robertson Davies, several Canadian prime ministers, Prince Charles, Israel's prime ministers (these portraits were made into stamps by Israel's government), and, finally, the last pope. Gilbert’s work therefore captures a huge range of individuals from the ordinary bride to extraordinary world leaders.
Al has won many awards as well as accolades from his peers throughout his career. He is the three-time recipient of the prestigious Professional Photographers of Canada (PPOC) Photographer of the year honour. He has been named Fellow of the photographic societies in Canada, Britain and the United States. In 1990, he was awarded the Order of Canada. In January 2007, the Professional Photographers of America presented him with their Lifetime Achievement Award. This award is the highest honor PPA can bestow on a person for their body of work and influence on professional photography.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: see fonds 37 and accessions 2007-12-17, 2007-12-18, 2008-4-7, 2008-6-12, 2009-5-2, 2009-7-8
Subjects
Commercial photography
Families
Name Access
Gilbert Studios
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-4
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1944-1969
Scope and Content
Accession consists of Holy Blossom confirmation service programs from 1944 and 1969 -- years when Nancy Frankel and Paula Draper were Confirmands respectively. There is also a directory listing of the Holy Blossom Temple Confirmation Class of 1969.
Administrative History
Nancy Frankel (b. 1928) is the daughter of Carl and Dorothy Jacobs Frankel. She married Darrell Draper on December 10th, 1949. They had three children: Paula (b. 1953), Philip (b. 1954), Kenneth (b. 1957). Nancy is a longtime volunteer at the OJA.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-6
Material Format
textual record (electronic)
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w (jpg)
1 letterhead (jpg)
Date
[ca. 1938]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of scans of three black and white photographs of Arthur Warren with others in Geraldton and one Warren's Mens Wear letterhead.
Custodial History
Margaret Warren Singer is married to OJA volunteer Les Singer, who brought in the materials. Margaret provided the history of her family and Geraldton and retains the original documents.
Administrative History
Margaret Warren Singer's parents, Arthur and Lucille Warren, lived in Geraldton for five years during the Depression. Geraldton is a mining town 200 miles north of Thunder Bay. The family moved there as they had difficulties making a living in Toronto. At the time, Geraldton had no road leading to the town, just a daily train. It has been said that it took only five minutes to sort the mail when the train arrived.
Arthur had a men's wear store which catered to the miners and residents. Their first daughter, Carole, was born in Toronto, but spent her early years in the town. When she slept in her carriage outside the store, the miners would occasionally toss money into it.
There were several Jewish families in the town who met for social occasions. Alfie Schwartz, a Toronto lawyer who told Arthur of the town, lived there with his wife Myra for a number of years. There was also a pharmacist named Leon [Sher?]. Others living in Geraldton were Sam and Mary Chesin, and Gladys Hurtig and her husband. Gladys was not Jewish, but her husband was a distant relative of Mel Hurtig, the publisher and political activist. Myra Schwartz now lives in Toronto.
Arthur's brother, Sydney Warren, and brother-in-law, Irving Rother, were both medical students at the time and spent summers in Geraldton with the Warren family. They lived with the family and had jobs in the copper mines. Dr. Sydney Warren is now deceased, but Dr. Irving Rother is 91 and lives in Toronto.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-5
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
47 photographs : b&w and hand col. ; 18 x 22 cm or smaller
Date
[ca. 1918]-[ca. 1960]
Scope and Content
The accession consists of 47 photographs documenting the Pascowitz and Grossman families.
Custodial History
The records were sent to the OJA by Debby Shocket at the JAHSENA archives in Edmonton. She received them from an individual who picked them up at a garage sale and didn't know which family they documented. Debby could see they were from Toronto and asked if we would like them. A number of the original images were given to the donor, since he didn't have many photographs of his family and they were similar to other images in this donation.
Administrative History
Gimpel (Yacob) and Rivka Pascowitz came to Canada from Poland in 1903 and 1905 respectively. He arrived first to set up residence and then sent for his wife and seven children a couple years later. Their last child, Morris, was born in Toronto in 1907. They lived at 138 Elizabeth Street in the Ward. Gimpel ran a delicatessen below their home and served as Gabbai of Beth Jacob Congregation on Henry Street. Their son Charles was born around 1900. He enlisted in the Royal Fusilliers, where he served as a sapper in Egypt during the First World War. His regiment was part of the Jewish Legion. When he returned he worked for Canadian National as a telegraph operator transmitting messages in Morse code.
The Grossman daughters, Anna (m. Pascowitz), Ruth (m. Godfrey) and Esther, arrived from Galicia in June 1921. The family sent the three eldest girls to Toronto after their grandfather had been murdered during a pogrom in the spring of 1921. At that time they were 21, 19 and 20 respectively. They stayed with their aunt, Annie (Grossman), and uncle Charles Goodman, who lived at 190 Seaton Street. Esther found a job as a fur finisher with J. Schwartz & Co. on Queen Street West. She later worked for Schipper, Freifeld furriers on Spadina Avenue. Anne located a job at the Biltmore Hat Factory. Ruth trained as a bookkeeper and found a job with Okun Brothers Ltd., millinery manufacturers on York Street. The rest of the family, including their parents Moses and Rose, arrived many years later. Their brother, David Grossman, immigrated to Toronto in February 1927 and found work as an upholsterer. Their parents, Moses and Rose, came three years later in March 1930 with the youngest child Rivkah (m. Agranove).They lived with Anne after their arrival and later moved in with their unmarried daughters and resided at 490 Euclid Avenue. Moses died in 1939 and Rose in 1972.
Charles Pascowitz and Anna Grossman married in Toronto on 8 February 1925. The couple had two children: Gilbert (b. 1925) and Herbert (b. 1927). The family moved to the east end of Toronto during the 1930s after Charlie lost his job with the CNR. They lived at 340 Kingston Road and opened a grocery store on the ground floor. Charlie was active in the Beach shul and served as a voluntary Hazzan, leading services. The kids attended Norway Public School. During his youth, Herb worked as a delivery boy for a grocery store. He later became a lifeguard as a later teen at B'nai Brith Camp and Camp Kitonim at Balfour Beach. Both boys served in the ROTC during the Second World War. Herbert attended the University of Toronto and completed his BSc in 1949 and his medical degree in 1953. He became a psychiatrist. Gilbert attended the University of Toronto as well and later interned in New York and became a pediatrician. He married Sandra Posen and the couple settled in Brantford. They had five children.
Herbert married his first wife Shirley Weinberg. She later changed her first name to Eve. The couple had four boys: Jonathan (b. 1954), Ron (b. 1957), Andrew (b. 1962) and Dan (b. 1964). They moved to Edmonton. After the couple divorced in 1975, Eve and the boys returned to Toronto. Herbert married Marilyn Berg in 1977.
Charlie Pascoe passed away in December 1970 and Anne several years later in March of 1977.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-7
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1909-1939
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records that document Sam's involvement in the Russian army and his immigration to Canada. Included is a copy of his naturalization certificate (1919), a JIAS shipping receipt for a package sent to Russia (1939), Russian army documents, and a temporary Russian passport (1914).
Administrative History
Sam Levine was born in Postov, Vilna, Russia on April 10th, 1885 to Mr. and Mrs. Eliahu Levine. Prior to immigrating to Canada, he received training as a blacksmith in the Russian army and had two daughters with his wife Sarah (d. 1968): Bessie (b. 1909) and Betty (b. 1913). His wife and daughters joined him in Canada around 1921; a year after he became a naturalized Canadian. After their arrival, Sam and his wife had two more daughters: Ethel (b. 1922) and Sylvia (b. 1924).
The Levine family resided at 11 Euclid and owned a stable at 22 Euclid, which Sam used as a place to shoe horses for profit. Throughout his career, Sam took on various metal work jobs, including building gates for residences and cemeteries, such as Roselawn Lambton. He often did the metal work at home and soldered the completed pieces together on site. During the Second World War, Sam had a contract with Lincoln Electric to build casings for motors.
Sam was part of the Grand Order of Israel and Sarah was a member of Folks Farein. Sam taught himself how to read English, and regularly frequented horse races. Sam passed away in 1976.
Descriptive Notes
Language note: some documents are in Russian and Yiddish
Related material note: see also accession #1988-11-12.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-8
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
31 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1950-1991
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the operations of the Shield's family bicycle business. Non-textual materials include a leather wallet and a metal key chain, both with the Shields name on them. The textual records include catalogues for bike parts and accessories, price lists, stationary, invoices, order forms, stickers, employee requirements, management reports, receipts, meeting minutes, insurance certificates and letters about operations, profit margins, requests and proposals. Other textual material includes correspondence between family members. There is also one poster for Peugeot Cycles, which were distributed by Shields.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 window : glass, wood ; 66 x 66 cm
Date
[1955?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one stained glass synagogue window. The wooden-framed window features a blue Star of David on a yellow background. The window was likely created when the building was extensively renovated in 1955. It is possible, however, that it was created for the 1924 building and was retained after the 1955 renovations.
Custodial History
Sidney Holtzkener, the donor's husband, was a house chairman and volunteered to take the window. The window was displayed in the donor's home until the couple moved in 2009.
Administrative History
The London Jewish community had a single congregation until disagreements led to Moses Leff organizing an alternative minyan. This became Congregation B'nai Moses Ben Judah, named after Moses Pollock. Their first synagogue building, a remodelled wooden church, opened in 1907. This building was supplanted by a new and enlarged structure in 1924. The building was renovated and enlarged again in 1955, but did retain some elements of the old structure. In 1966 B'nai Moses Ben Judah almagamated with B'nai Israel, and consequently Congregation Or Shalom was created. The B'nai Israel building was chosen to house the new congregation and the the B'nai Moses building was sold to the Roman Catholic Diocese. Accordingly, its stained glass windows were removed. Edward's Glass Company Limited held on to the windows and later contacted the Holtzkeners to give them one. The Holtzkeners were members of B'nai Moses and later Congregation Or Sholom from at least 1944 until they moved to Toronto in 2009.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: see MG 3 B-7 for further Congregation Or Shalom records
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
13 cm of textual records
Date
1982-2009
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting Bernard Katz and Mel Katz's membership to Adath Israel Congregation. Included are records of various Adath Israel committees that the two participated in, including the Finance and Budget Committee, Think Tank Committee, School Committee, Scholarship Committee, Religious Committee, and Adult Education Committee. The accession also includes letters to congregants, financial statements, and several miscellaneous publications produced by the congregation.
Name Access
Adath Israel Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-3
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
1 DVD
Date
1921 - [ca. 1948]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of one scanned document (the birth certificate of Jacob Offstein) and four digital images of family photographs taken during the 1940s.
Custodial History
The photographs and certificate were scanned by the donor and were sent to us on a DVD.
Administrative History
Jacob Offstein (b. 1871) was born in Minsk, Russia. He married Gussie meyer in 1898. He came to Canada around 1904 and settled in St. Catharines, Ontario. He sent for his wife and three kids in 1908. They had several more children after that time. Their offspring included: David (b. 1899), Edward (b. 1900), Harry (Bunny) (b. 1902), Bertha (b. 1908), Hattie (b. 1910), Norman (b. 1914), Michael and Samuel (b. 1917). Unfortunately, their youngest died in 1918, due to what was described in the death certificate as a result of "scalding". The family resided at 11 Queenston Street during the early years where Jacob worked as a junk dealer. The family later moved to 24 Queenston Street where Jacob toiled as a grocer and junk dealer. On 31 August, 1921, Jacob was hit by a street car and perished at the age of 47.
Many of the children remained in Ontario. David married Ida. Harry married Eve. Edward married Edna and they had two daughters: Honey and Dena. Norman and his wife Belle relocated to California after the Second World War. They had two children: Gerald (b. 1941) and Gary (b. 1945). Gerald married Elaine Katz and Gary married Louis Nathanson. Gerald had one son, Norman (b. 1969), whom he named after his father, who passed away in July of 1965 in Los Angeles.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-4
Material Format
moving images
Physical Description
4 film reels (ca. 65 min.) : col. si. ; 8 mm
Date
1952-1967
Scope and Content
Accession consists of film reels that document the Walters family of Toronto. Included is one reel of a family gathering at Niagara Falls and Crystal Beach (1952), two reels of Marshall Walters' Bar Mitzvah (1966), and one reel of Donna Walters' sweet 16 birthday party (1967).
Administrative History
Benjamin Walters was born in Poland in 1922 to Rachael and Max Walters. He immigrated with his family to Toronto, Canada around 1927. His father was a watchmaker and jeweler. Benjamin learned the trade from his father and with his wife Sylvia, operated their own business on Queen Street East called Sunnybrook Credit Jewelers.
Benjamin married Sylvia (nee Midanik) on January 10, 1950. Born in 1926, Sylvia was one of three children born to Sarah (nee Pullen) and Alick “Smokey Joe” Midanik. Alick was a real estate developer on Elizabeth Street.
Together, Benjamin and Sylvia had two children: Donna (b. 8 March 1951) and Marshall (b. 27 March 1953). In his youth, Marshall sold flowers on the streets of downtown Toronto. He died at a young age in a car accident in Africa during his summer vacation from university.
Donna took secretary courses at Seneca College and worked at various law firms until she became a mother. She married Gerald Swartz on November 21, 1976 and they had a son, Mark (b. 6 July 1978), and twin girls, Debra and Shari (b. 21 March 1981). Gerald was an accountant.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-5
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
Date
2000-2007
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the Jewish War Veterans of Canada and its unfinished project to create a book relating to Canadian Jewish servicemen. Included are drafts of the book, correspondence relating to the book, a brochure, a commemorative dinner booklet, a newspaper clipping, and screen shots of the organization's now inactive website.
Administrative History
The Jewish War Veterans of Canada is an organization for Jewish veterans of all wars. The Toronto Post was formed in 1976 and sponsors community events, annual dinners, and assists veterans. Around 2005, the organization had plans to erect a monument at Earl Bales Park and publish a book to commemorate all Jewish veterans; however, the organization fell into financial trouble and this project never came to fruition. The Toronto Post has since undergone a complete change of leadership and continues to operate out of its office at 4600 Bathurst Street.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-6
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
6 cm of textual records (1 vol.)
Date
[ca. 2000]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of a braille Haggadah, in both Hebrew and English text, published by the Jewish Braille Institute of America.
Custodial History
The Haggadah was given to the donor by a blind friend. It was kept by the donor until it was donated to the Archives on 25 August 2010.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-7
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 74 cm
Date
20 May 1931
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one panoramic photograph of the opening game of the Jewish Community Softball League.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-20
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-20
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
16 photographs : b&w ; 17 x 25 cm or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Date
[ca. 1925]-1937
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 16 copies of photographs of the employees and owners of Gryfe Bakery. Also included is an internet print out of the family/bakery history.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-1
Material Format
object
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
2 objects
3 photographs : b&w and col. (1 negative) ; 10 x 12 cm or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Date
[ca. 1920]-[193-]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of two nursing uniforms worn by Frances Kadish during her career at Mount Sinai Hosptial in Chicago, Ill. The uniforms are made of denim and include a hat, collar and apron. One uniform has a Mount Sinai crest on the sleeve. The photographs include a copy of Frances Kadish in her nursing uniform, possibly a graduation photo, as well as a copy photograph of an original painting of Frances in her uniform, and a third negative of Frances with her husband and two sons in Kirkland Lake, Ontario. The accesion also consists of one composition book from nursing school in Chicago.
Custodial History
The records were in the custory of Sid Kadish, the son of Frances Atkins, until they were donated to the archives on September 3, 2010.
Administrative History
Frances Kadish (nee Atkins) was born in 1903 in Toronto to Henry and Sarah Atkins. She was one of seven children raised on Gerrard Street where her parents owned a candy shop. In the early 1920s, Frances moved to Chicago to attend nursing school at Mount Sinai Hospital. She graduated in the spring of 1927 and that autumn married Hyman "Kay" Kadish in Chicago on 26 September 1927. The couple immediately relocated to Toronto where they were remarried in a traditional Jewish ceremony at the urging of Frances' mother. Frances and Kay had three children: Joseph (b. 17 Aug. 1928, Toronto), Marion (b. 6 Dec. 1929, Hamilton) and Sid (b. 21 June 1934, Kirkland Lake).
Kay went on to work with Thuna herbalists, first in Toronto and then in Hamilton, while Frances briefly worked at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto from late 1927 to 1928. The couple later moved to Kirkland Lake in the early 1930s where they remained until moving to Barrie in the 1960s. Following the death of her husband in 1968, Frances relocated with her son Sid and his family to Guleph in 1971 and then to Burlington in 1984.
Throughout her life, Frances was very active in various hospital ladies' auxiliaries, setting up library carts in both the Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie and St. Joseph's Hospital in Guelph. She passed away on 21 March 1988 in Dundas, Ontario at the age of 85.
Descriptive Notes
Atkins, Frances
Kadish, Frances
Mount Sinai Hospital
Kirkland Lake
Name Access
Kadish, Frances, 1903-1988
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1952
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one binder of meeting minutes and other documentation related to the operation of the Jewish Public Library. The minutes are written or typed in Yiddish.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of Steve Bergson, a former staff member of the Jewish Public Library, until they were donated to the Archives on September 14, 2010.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-3
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
11 photographs : b&w and sepia toned ; 20 x 25 cm or smaller
Date
[ca. 1920] - 1959
Scope and Content
Accesssion consists of Dr. Sydney Wise's class photographs from Orde Street School (ca. 1920) and Jarvis Collegiate Institute (1931). Also included is a photograph of the University of Toronto's Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority (ca. 1935), of which Dr. Wise's wife, Mimi Marin, was a member. There are also class photographs of Dr. Wise's children from Holy Blossom Temple's religious school (1957-1959) and a group photograph of the West Prep Orchestra (1957-1958). Finally, accession contains a photograph from the Marin family's New Year's Eve party (ca. 1927). Identified are Max Enkin (seated at the botton right) and Sonia and Joe Marin (seated and standing behind Enkin).
Custodial History
Records were donated by Sydney Wise
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-3
Material Format
moving images
Physical Description
3 videocassettes (ca. 65 min)
Date
1989-1996
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a UJA Federation Operation Exodus campaign video (1993), a UJA Federation Community Matters campaign video (1996), and a Toronto Jewish Congress video documenting a book award night (1989).
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
ca. 90 cm of textual records
1 scrapbook
ca. 24 photographs : b&w and col. (17 jpg)
Date
[ca. 1907] - 2008
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs and textual material that document Morley Wolfe’s community involvement and personal and professional life. Personal records include photographs of Morley and his family, correspondence with family and friends, his marriage certificate and school diplomas.
Professional records include his curriculum vitae, photographs, reports, correspondence, nomination letters for various awards, such as the Order of Canada, news clippings, certificates and awards, newsletters, event invitations and records documenting his involvement in a court case between the Ontario Deputy Judges Association and the Attorney General of Ontario. Also included are scanned photographs of Morley presenting an award to Rosa Parks (1999), receiving his Ontario Senior Achievement award (2000), and meeting with Jean Chrétien (2001).
Accession also includes one scrapbook documenting Morley's term as national president of BBC. Finally, accession contains records documenting the various appeals filed against BBC by Wolfe, Wilson Heights Lodge No. 1998 and CMOBBC, such as, the appeal notices filed with BBI’s Court of Appeal, correspondence, various BBC constitutions and by-laws, Wilson Heights Lodge executive meeting minutes, CMOBBC newsletters, and news clippings.
Administrative History
Morley S. Wolfe was born in Winnipeg in 1928 to Cecil (b. 1895) and Betty (nee Davidow) Wolfe. He spent his early childhood in various cities in Saskatchewan and Manitoba until moving to Toronto in 1940. Soon after graduating from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1955 he started his own practice as a senior member of the law firm Burt, Burt, Wolfe and Bowman. In 1971 he was appointed Queen’s Council, and from 1973 to 1977 he served as counsel for B’nai Brith Canada. After his retirement from practice in 1993, the Province of Ontario appointed him presiding Justice of the Peace for Ontario and Deputy Judge in Small Claims Court.
His first marriage was to Sandra Newman in 1958 and they had three children together: Leslie, Lee, and Melanie. He later married Joan and became the step-father to her daughter, Erin.
Throughout his life Morley was passionate about fighting prejudice and discrimination and became involved with organizations, such as the Canadian Council of Christians and Jews and the Urban Alliance on Race Relations. He was also a member of the Toronto Police Services Board Committee on Race Relations, served as Chair of the North York Committee on Community, Race and Ethnic Relations, and was appointed to the Canadian Multiculturalism Council. In addition, he was the founding president of Toronto Residents in Partnership (TRIP) from 2003 to 2006.
His involvement extended to Jewish organizations. He served as National President of B’nai Brith Canada (BBC) from 1982 to 1983 and was a founding member of its League for Human Rights. He was also President of BBC’s Toronto Regional Council and Wilson Heights Lodge No. 1998, and of the Jewish Camp Council of Toronto as well as many other organizations.
Morley’s hard work and involvement in the community earned him many awards, including, City of Toronto’s William P. Hubbard Race Relations Award, the YMCA Canada Peace Medal, B’Nai Brith Canada Service Award, and the Province of Ontario’s Senior Achievement Award.
Around 2002, Wilson Heights Lodge No. 1998 began filing a series of appeals with B’nai Brith International (BBI) over concerns that BBC’s national executive was governing undemocratically. Morley played a key role in filing these appeals and was the centre of one appeal filed after BBC censured him without advance notice or the opportunity for a hearing. These appeals were not all successful.
Around 2006, Morley became involved in another appeal against BBC that was filed by a group of members who called themselves the Concerned Members of B’nai Brith Canada (CMOBBC). They alleged that BBC’s national executive had too much centralized power, was not governing transparently, failed to provide members with audited financial statements at multiple annual general meetings (AGMs), passed a constitution that members had defeated at the 2005 AGM, and was threatening and harassing some members. BBI’s appeal court rendered its verdict in 2007 in favour of BBC. Soon after this judgment was made BBC took steps to expel all the members of CMOBBC. In response, Morley resigned from the organization.
Morley currently resides in Brampton.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-2
Material Format
object
Physical Description
2 tallisot
Date
[ca. 1945]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of 2 Tallisot previously owned by the Machzikei B'nai Israel Synaogogue, formerly located at 279 Dovercourt Rd. at Dundas St. West. Each tallis bears a stamp from the synagogue.
Custodial History
The tallisot were used by Ann's [father-in-law?], Nathan Sharpe, who was a founding member of the synagogue.
Administrative History
The Machzikei B'nai Israel Synagogue was first located in a store on Ossington Avenue in the early 1930s. In 1933 they purchased and incorporated a cemetery located on McCowan Road at Eglinton Avenue. In 1935, the congregation moved into the basement of 279 Dovercourt Road and gradually renovated the rest of the building to completion by 1950. In the 1970s, the synaoguge had 93 member families, but dwindling membership in the 1980s forced the Synagogue to close and merge with Shaarei Shomayim.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-6
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
5 photographs : col. and b&w ; 40 x 26 cm or smaller
Date
[ca. 1950]-[ca. 1999]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs, business cards, and a one-page history documenting Norman Sharpe and his department store, which was located on Dundas Street West in the Junction.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-8
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 21 cm
Date
[ca. 1940]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of one photograph of a B'nai Brith dinner held at a local hall in Thunder Bay. The photograph depicts the B'nai Brith members and wives facing the camera, whilst seated at a number of banquet tables.
Custodial History
The item was in the possession of the donor until it was donated to the Archives on October 20, 2010.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-1
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
2 photographs: b & w ; 9 x 14 cm
Date
1922
Scope and Content
The donation includes two photographs that were taken at Gittelmacher's Studio in 1922. The first is a portrait of Leona, Ida and Albert Lenchner from Pittsburgh. The second is a portrait of Albert and Leona Lenchner with their cousin Bernard Segal, who was also from Pittsburgh.
Subjects
Portraits
Places
Pittsburgh (Pa.)
Source
Archival Accessions
1901 records – page 1 of 39.

Narrow By

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content