Originally established in 1966 as an arms-length board sponsored by the BJE, the purpose of the Board of License and Review was to review and clarify the licensing, assessment of credentials, and salary categories of teachers in the Toronto area. The board could also periodically recommend to the BJE new regulations to improve the standards for Jewish education in Toronto. The board's membership consisted of the dean of the Midrasha, the president of the Midrasha and/or the president of the BJE, the chairman of the Jewish Teachers' Alliance, and the chairman of the Principals Council.
The need for the board arose due to dissatisfaction with the system in use since 1949 for appealing the BJE's categorization of teachers. In the previous system, a teacher's appeal was heard by a joint committee of the bureau and the Teachers' Alliance. If this committee could not reach an agreement, the appeal would be decided by the Personnel Committee of the bureau.
The need for an arms-length board to hear classification appeals diminished during the 1970s, as standards for the training of teachers became better established and the categorization of teachers was more explicitly defined through the collective agreements between the BJE and the teachers' bargaining units. By the 1980s, the Board of License and Review had become a standing committee of the BJE consisting of professionals and laypeople. Members of the Board of License and Review are appointed by the chairman of the BJE and its decisions are reported periodically to the BJE.
Scope and Content
The sub-series documents the board's work in reviewing teacher classifications and appeals, and implementing the regulations established by the BJE for teacher classification. The sub-series consists of correspondence with teachers, school officials and union representatives as well as memoranda, meeting minutes and reports.
From 1949 to 1968, the Budget and Finance Committee was the standing committee responsible for financial matters of the board and affiliated schools. The committee's work involved reviewing the budgets of affiliated schools on an ongoing basis, calculating the subsidies to be granted to schools, and also developing the budget for the BJE itself. Following the reorganization of the bureau as the Board of Jewish Education, in 1968, the Fiscal Committee was one of two permanent committees of the board. The functions of the committee include receiving school budgets and reviewing them as a check on the spending of subsidized schools, negotiating teachers' contracts with teachers' unions, reviewing areas for possible savings for schools, establishing tuition fee assessment guidelines and determining the actual tuition levied in all subsidized schools, regulating and enforcing a uniform salary scale for teachers in subsidized schools, and periodically recommending policies to the BJE board on fiscal management.
The formulae used to determine school subsidies have changed several times over the decades, as the Fiscal Committee sought to balance the financial needs of the schools against the ever-increasing costs to the UJWF and its successors of supporting the school system. Initially, subsidies were simply calculated based on the gap between a school's budget and the money raised by the school through tuition fees and other forms of fundraising. In the late 1950s, the BJE attempted to cut costs by eliminating building maintenance from the budget items eligible for subsidization, but this resulted in many schools developing large deficits by the early- to mid-1960s. This, in turn, led to special fundraising programs sponsored by the UJWF to assist the schools in eliminating those deficits. In the 1970s, following the recommendations of the UJWF Study Committee on Jewish Education, efforts were made to develop a funding formula based on budget models for different categories of schools. Since the schools and BJE were unable to reach a consensus on these models, the actual school budgets of 1977-1978 were used as a base for calculating future budgets, with changes calculated based on the rate of inflation, changes in enrollment and school staffing, and other factors. Budgets submitted by the schools were assessed against these calculations. Further changes to the formulae were made in the 1980s and 1990s, with a shift towards calculating the grants to schools as tuition subsidies in support of families unable to pay the full cost of their children's education, with full tuition calculated as the per capita cost of the school's operations.
Scope and Content
The sub-series documents the work of the Fiscal Committee in reviewing school budgets and working with the schools on new funding formulae. The sub-series includes meeting minutes and reports of both the Fiscal Committee and its predecessor, the Budget and Finance Committee, correspondence with schools and memoranda. The sub-series also includes records of the "Fiscal Forums", organized by the Fiscal Committee in the early 1990s to work with affiliated schools to address funding reductions caused by shortfalls in the annual UJA fundraising campaigns, and of the Mandate Sub-Committee, formed in 1997 to evaluate new school funding models, including school voucher and tuition loan systems.
The Pedagogic Committee was established in 1969 as one of the two standing committees of the Board of Jewish Education. The committee had twenty-four members: eight members from the BJE, eight nominated by the CJC and appointed by the UJWF, and eight from the community-at-large. The first chairman of the Pedagogic Committee was Meyer W. Gasner. For the first few years of its existence, there was some uncertainty as to the role of the committee and it rarely met. Over time, the committee took on responsibility for advising the BJE Board of Directors and affiliated schools on such matters as teacher training and professional development, teacher certification standards, interschool activities, the establishment of a media centre, and the principal's role in subsidized evening schools. Some of these responsibilities had previously been carried out by the bureau's School Committee.
In 1975, the UJWF Study Committee on Jewish Education recommended that the Pedagogic Committee be replaced with a new Management and Academic Affairs Committee. This new committee would deal with personnel practices, reports from school consultants on affiliated schools, seek input from schools on how the BJE could better meet their needs, and deal with general problems relating to the quality and standards of Jewish education. In the 1980s, the main function of the Management and Academic Affairs Committee was to undertake reviews of major educational programs and concerns affecting all affiliated schools. One of its projects at the time was an intensive review of the proposal to shift grade nine into the high schools.
In the later 1980s, the Management and Academic Affairs Committee, like the earlier Pedagogic Committee, met infrequently. The 1991 BJE Strategic Planning Committee report called for the creation of a Department of Educational Services, overseen by an Educational Services Committee, which would assume the responsibilities of the Management and Academic Affairs Committee and would coordinate the formal and informal educational services of the BJE. The new committee began meeting in March 1993. Its stated goals were to review the BJE's services to affiliated schools and assess their quality, determine unmet needs of the schools, propose and initiate actions to expand services or create new services, and promote BJE services to the schools.
In 1998, in response to the recommendations of the Commission on Jewish Education, the Educational Services Committee was restructured as the Jewish Educational Services Committee, with the expanded responsibility of coordinating all curriculum-based Jewish education in the community receiving financial support from UJA Federation.
Scope and Content
The sub-series documents the meetings and some of the projects of the Pedagogic Committee, the Management and Academic Affairs Committee, and the Educational Services Committee. The records include committee minutes and reports, correspondence and memoranda. The files are arranged chronologically.
One of the first actions taken by the Bureau of Jewish Education Board of Directors was to work with the schools to define the requirements for affiliation with, and financial support from, the bureau. Reviewing affiliation requirements and applications for affiliation from schools were the primary duties of the bureau's School Committee. These requirements were occasionally reviewed and updated by the board during the 1950s and 1960s. In general, the requirements stipulate that the school should be open to all Jewish students; that the schools comply with government and BJE standards for teacher qualifications and general studies curriculum; that it not be a profit-making venture; that it have a stable and adequate administrative structure, and have been in existence for at least a year; that it cooperate with the BJE on fiscal and administrative matters, and allow visits from BJE school consultants; and that the schools should strive to enhance students' knowledge and appreciation of Judaism and their understanding and concern for the welfare of the state of Israel.
The UJWF Study Committee on Jewish Education report of 1975 included a large number of recommendations for revisions to the affiliation requirements. Rather than simply reviewing and implementing these recommendations, the BJE board appointed an Affiliation Requirements Sub-Committee in the late 1970s to conduct a further study of the current affiliation requirements and possible revisions. This committee reported to the board in 1980. After this date, an affiliation requirements committee (under various names) remained a component of the board's committee structure, although it did not meet on a regular basis. Affiliation requirements were again reviewed and revised in the mid-1980s, and then in the mid-1990s, in response to the inquiries of the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto's Commission on Jewish Education. As of 2006, the BJE Affiliation and Compliance Committee is responsible for considering revisions to requirements, applications for affiliation from new schools, and monitoring schools' compliance with these requirements.
Scope and Content
The sub-series documents the work of the School Committee, the Affiliation Requirements Sub-Committee (also known as the Affiliation Requirements Committee), and its successors, the Affiliation and Funding Requirements Sub-Committee, and Affiliations Criteria Sub-Committee. The sub-series includes meeting minutes, copies of the affiliation requirements for different time periods, reports from the committees to the board on proposed revisions to the affiliation requirements, and recommendations from the committees to the board on applications for affiliation. The files are arranged chronologically.
The BJE's guidance and counselling services for students began with a pilot project organized by the UJWF, Jewish Vocational Service (JVS), and Jewish Family and Child Services (JF&CS) in the mid- to late-1960s. JVS was then contracted to provide these services in some of the affiliated day schools. Studies of the program were carried out by the UJWF in the early 1970s, and again by its successor, the Toronto Jewish Congress (TJC) in the late 1970s; the second study was prompted by some schools starting their own student counselling programs, staffed by in-house personnel. The BJE's Guidance and Counselling Steering Committee (also known as the Guidance and Counselling Advisory Committee) -- a joint committee with representatives from the BJE and JVS -- met on an irregular basis during the 1970s to review the program's operations. Following the recommendations of the TJC study, the BJE Guidance and Counselling Steering Committee took on a more active role in supervising guidance serices during the 1980s.
Scope and Content
The sub-series documents the meetings of the Guidance and Counselling Steering Committee, and BJE's involvement with evaluations of the program. The records include memoranda, correspondence with schools and JVS, committee meeting minutes and reports.
Records relating to the UJWF and TJC study committees and the original UJWF pilot project can be found in series 4, "Subject files."
The BJE Strategic Planning Commitee began meeting in August 1988 as the ad-hoc Think Tank Planning Committee, with the goal of planning a weekend "think tank" session of BJE professional staff, lay people, and representatives of affiliated schools to review the role and functions of the BJE. The group's deliberations led to an expansion of this mandate, to include developing a mission statement, as well as goals and objectives for the board. The committee consisted of Martin Sable (chair), Sandra Brown, Sheila Freeman, Henry Koschitzky, and Howard Nathan, with Harold Malitzky, associate director, and Rabbi Irwin Witty, executive director, as staff members.
The BJE received a grant from the Toronto Jewish Congress (TJC) to finance the preparation of a strategic plan, and, early in 1989, hired Gary Sandor of ARA Consultants to assist the Strategic Planning Committee in defining the purpose of the committee, developing a work plan, and gathering data for the project. In April-May 1989, Sandor interviewed key informants and distributed questionnaires to over 200 stakeholders in the community: presidents of teachers federations; the chair of the parents council; school presidents, administrators and principals; presidents of synagogues which sponsor schools; BJE board members and TJC Executive Committee members. In May 1989, the committee sponsored the Community Leadership Forum, involving over fifty participants from the BJE, affiliated schools, and the TJC Executive Committee, to discuss the major themes which had been identified so far by the committee. This was followed by an interim report by Sandor, in June 1989, summarizing the work so far on the strategic plan and the outcomes of the forum. The forum and the report identified three major themes for the planning committee to focus on: clearly defining the BJE's mandate, clarifying its major responsibilities, and taking a leadership position in the community.
By May 1990, the committee had developed a mission statement, objectives and an action plan for the BJE, which were presented to the BJE board and approved in principle. The final report of the committee was presented to the board in January 1991, and in February 1991, the report was presented to the TJC Executive Committee for approval. Implementation of the committee's recommendations began in 1993. In addition to developing the mission statement, objectives and action plan for the BJE, the major recommendations of the committee were to revise the board's committee structure; more clearly define the composition of the board, the representation of different stakeholder groups on the board, and the responsibilities of board members; and, to increase the interaction of lay committees and professional staff by more clearly defining staff responsibilities for supporting board committees. The key features of the committee restructuring were the re-establishment of a BJE Executive Committee and the creation of a Department of Education Services, reporting to an Educational Services Committee. All working committees of the board were to report to either the Educational Services Committee or the Fiscal Committee. This reorganization led to a structure similar to that originally envisioned in the BJE reorganization of 1968, when the two standing committees of the board were the Pedagaogic Committee and the Fiscal Committee.
Scope and Content
The series documents the work of the committee and its consultant, Gary Sandor, in gathering information from the community on perceptions of the BJE and areas for improvement, and in drafting the mission statement, goals, action plan, and proposed restructuring of the BJE board. The records in the series include committee minutes and reports, memoranda and correspondence, copies of the consultant's reports, and records relating to the Community Leadership Forum.
The sub-series consists of Dr. Joseph Diamond's and Rabbi Irwin Witty's personal correpondence, filed with their executive director records, the text of public talks and of commentaries made on Zelda Young's "Jewish hour" radio programme, broadcast every Sunday on the CHIN (Toronto) radio station. The topics of these commentaries varied widely, including Talmudic commentaries, Israeli and Diaspora Jewish politics, as well as matters relating to Jewish education in Toronto and elsewhere. Although much of the personal correspondence is routine in nature, some of the letters include discussions of Jewish education and activities of the BJE.
The sub-series consists of records and reference materials relating to BJE applications for school and program funding to the federal and provincial governments, and to the North York Public School Board. The projects and programs include heritage and French language programs, and professional development projects for teachers. The sub-series includes records relating to BJE and CJC efforts to lobby the provincial government to extend funding of schools to include private schools. The sub-series includes a photograph of Rabbi Witty and Bernard Shoub accepting a Government of Canada cheque for a BJE project.
The Study Committee on Jewish Education was formed in 1970, with a mandate to investigate all aspects of Jewish education in Toronto and make recommendations for changes to the UJWF. The committee was co-chaired by J.S. Midanik and Donald Carr. The committee's work was carried out by six "task forces", which studied Jewish day schools, day high schools, supplementary schools, the BJE itself, teacher training and recruitment, and financing for Jewish education. The task forces carried out their investigations through meetings, interviews and surveys of school personnel, administrators and board members, as well as through reports on specific topics by academic researchers. Each task force prepared an interim report of its findings in 1974-1975, and these reports were then synthesized into the final report published in 1975, accompanied by a lengthy set of recommendations approved by the entire study committee. Rabbi Witty, executive director of the BJE, and Shoshana Kurtz, BJE school consultant, were staff members of the committee and served on the editorial sub-committee which drafted the final report. The study committee's recommendations, on matters relating to the financing of the Jewish school system, recruiting and training teachers, establishing standards for curriculum, administration and teacher qualifications in affiliated schools, and the structure of the BJE, were considered and acted upon by committees of the BJE and the UJWF during the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Scope and Content
The sub-series documents the work of the executive director as staff member for the Study Committee on Jewish Education, and the meetings of the various task forces of the committee. The sub-series provides additional information on schools and community perceptions of the school system and the BJE in the early 1970s. The sub-series includes task force minutes, copies of questionnaires distributed by the task forces, data collected by the task forces which were used in their interim reports, and a copy of the final report.
The records in this sub-series include correspondence, memoranda, committee reports and minutes, primarily of the BJE Fiscal Committee, its sub-committees, and the Association of Jewish Day School Administrators. Rather than being filed by committee name or by record form -- such as correspondence -- these records have all been filed together by creation date, with separate files for each month. While this form of organization means that there is duplication of materials between this sub-series and the series and sub-series for those committees, this sub-series documents the major activities and decision-making in which the director was involved, in the order those activities occurred.
The series consists of copies of audited financial statements from BJE affiliated schools. Receiving and reviewing these statements was one component of the director of school finances' work. Copies of the reports were shared with members of the BJE Fiscal Committee, and were kept on file by the director for future reference and comparison.
Sub-series consists of reports, correspondence, by-laws, draft by-laws, and earlier constitutions all documenting efforts to examine the need for, and present recommended changes to, the UJWF constitution.
Sub-series consists of minutes, correspondence and reports of meetings of the Administration Committee. Also included are minutes of a short-lived 1963 sub-committee constituted to produce a new funding formula specifying how the entire U.J.A. budget was to be divided. Files are arranged chronologically.
Sub-series consists of minutes of meetings of the Committee on Capital Needs and Planning. These contain discussions both with individual agencies and also groups of agencies such as schools and camps. Plans for special capital campaigns to finance new facilities for such agencies as Mount Sinai Hospital, the YM-YWHA and the Jewish Home for the Aged are documented within this sub-series.
Sub-series consists of capital needs and planning reports about three UJWF client agencies; the
YM-YWHA , Hillcrest Progressive School, and Associated Hebrew Schools. Files are arranged chronologically within each sub-series.
Sub-series consists of minutes of committee meetings which also include correspondence and reports about issues and cases discussed at those meetings.Files are arranged chronologically within the sub-series.
Sub-series consists of minutes of meetings of the Special Joint Committee of the Bureau of Jewish Education and the United Jewish Welfare Fund. Included within these records are correspondence and a final report of the Committee.
Series consists of minutes of meetings of the Nominating Committee (sometimes known as the Nominating and Arrangements Committee) of the United Jewish Welfare Fund. Files may also contain correspondence relevant to meeting topics.
Sub-series contains files concerning administrative and/or short-term committees of the UJRA, from the late 1940s and late 1950s. Included are files for the following committees: Budget, Clothing, European Youth, Financial Assistance, Health and Welfare and Hospitality. Half of the sub-series consists of the subcommittee on Hungarian immigrants which convened from 1956-1958. The records include minutes, reports, correspondence, memoranda, notices of meetings and lists. The files are arranged in alphabetical order.
This sub-series is composed of former RG 294 files.
Sub-series contains administrative and subject files maintained by the UJRA office. Records include minutes, correspondence, memoranda, reports, financial tables and statements, and statistical reports. The records pertain to "subjects" addressed by the UJRA such as budget, Ontario communities, farm loans, immigration, indemnification (restititution), Egyptian Jews, orphans, and Shanghai refugees. The records also document relations with other organizations such as the American Jewish Congress, Joint Distribution Committee, Canadian Overseas Garment Commission and Jewish Colonization Society of Canada. As well, there are the correspondence with and regular reports submitted by JF&CS, JIAS and JVS. Also in the series are ships passenger lists from 1950, and weekly work files on furriers and other immigrants settled through the Canadian Overseas Garment Commission.
This sub-series is composed of files from former RG 294, RG 296, and files (the ones with printed labels) that in a former, temporary, arrangement were part of fonds 17, series 1.
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
43 photographs : b&w (28 negatives) ; 18 x 12 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of negatives and proofs of portraits taken by Sylvia Schwartz. Portraits were taken both in her studio and in her family home. Images taken in earlier years show the full body of the sitter in the interior of the family home. Later images are studio portraits, showing just the head and upper body of the subject.
The earliest portraits taken are of Ruth Schwartz, Sylvia's sister. They are interesting in their use of props and lighting. Other early portraits are of Gertrude and Joseph Schwartz and Fanny Solway (nee Schwartz).
Other portraits include images of Gerald, Ralph and Rhoda Halbert (the children of Sylvia's cousin Faye Halbert), Jack and Jewell Schwartz (her uncle and cousin), Isaac, Jill and Jan Shleser (her brother-in-law and nieces) and Alex, Carol and Herbert Solway (her brother-in-law, niece and nephew).
Also included in the sub-series are three self-portraits of Sylvia each taken in a different session.
Every negative does not have a corresponding print.
40 photographs : b&w and col. (36 negatives) ; 18 x 12 cm and smaller
Scope and Content
This sub-series consists of thirty-six negatives and four prints taken by Sylvia Schwartz of the family at leisure. It is made up of seven files. The majority of the images are of the family relaxing at their cottage in Bobcaygeon. Images consist of photographs of the family on the lawn, in the cottage and on the lake. There are both candid and staged photographs.
Images from the cottage consist of staged family photographs on the lawn from 1941, candid and staged photographs from ca. 1955 and images of little girls (Jan Shleser and Judith Wolfson) playing outside from ca. 1955.
Family members featured include Gertrude, Joseph, Ruth, Jack and Jewell Schwartz, Helen, Isaac, Jill and Jan Shleser and Fanny, Alex, Herbert, Carol and Gary Solway. As well as, the Hausser, Halbert and Wintrob families. Family friends are also in the images. Individuals include Judith Wolfson, Frances and David Gruber and David Rotenberg and his brothers. Sylvia Schwartz is in some images.
There is one print that is a view of the cottage from the lake and one print of Herbert Solway reading the newspaper in bed with his son Gary that may or may not have been taken at the cottage. Sub-series is arranged at the file level. Files are organized chronologically by date.
24 photographs : b&w (24 negatives) ; 12.5 x 10 cm and smaller
Scope and Content
This sub-series consists of two files. The two events are an opening at the Park Plaza Hotel and a Pidyon Ha'Ben ceremony for Herbert Solway's son Gary.
Images from the Park Plaza Hotel consist of views of the ballroom, the entertainers, and friends and family enjoying the party. Family members identified are from the Schwartz, Halbert and Wintrob families. Non-family members identified are from the Yolles and Rotenberg families. There are 12 negatives in this file.
Images from file 2 consist of partygoers for the Pidyon Ha'Ben ceremony in Alex Solway's apartment. Those in attendance were from the Schwartz, Shleser, Solway and Rotenberg families. There are 12 negatives in this file.
Sub-series consists of the minutes of meetings of the Board of Trustees of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies. Some files may also include related correspondence and reports. Of special note is a report in file 2 detailing the response of the Toronto Jewish Community to the "Jewish needy" made sick by the deadly 1919-1920 influenza epidemic.
Sub-series consists of minutes of meetings of the Budget Committee from 1933 to 1936. Included are the budgets of member agencies financed by the FJPT. These records document the work of the committee which, because of the FJPT's diminished collections, was forced to limit the budgets of affiliated agencies during the Great Depression. Also included is one file of committee memoranda.
For meeting minutes of this committee's successor organization, see Fonds 67, Sub-series 7-1, minutes of meetings of the Budget and Finance Committee of the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
Sub-series consists of annual budgets prepared by the Budget Committee of the FJPT. These documents contain the final detailed budgets of both the FJPT and its affiliated organizations and thus the final outcomes of the financial issues debated in the meetings of the committee and maintained within Fonds 66, Sub-series 7-1.
For minutes of the Budget Committee of the FJPT see Fonds 66, Sub-series 14-1.
Series consists of the minutes of regular and special meetings of the Executive Committee of the United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto. Meetings were originally on a monthly basis, with additional and special meetings occurring in late spring and at the end of the calendar year. By the 1970s they occurred much more frequently, every week in many months. Most minute files also include agendas as well as reports and correspondence associated with meeting discussion topics. Records in this series have been arranged chronologically.
Executive Committee meeting minutes, sub-series 5-1, were previously described and cited as RG1-A
See fonds 66, series 6-1 for the records of the predecessor series, Meeting Minutes of the Executive Committee of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies.
With the post-WW II expansion of Toronto's Jewish population, the original Mount Sinai Hospital on Yorkville Avenue became overcrowded, while its treatment capacities appeared ever more outdated. By 1949 an improved economy made it possible to begin the necessary planning for a much large replacement hospital at 550 University Ave. Although fundraising for the construction this facility was not the responsibility of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, many of its senior executives were also on the Hospital Board. Also, the entire Toronto Jewish Community was to be canvassed for the funds to build it. The proven fundraising expertise of the UJWF, its donor lists, and the goals of its own annual campaign ensured that constant correspondence and cooperation between the two was both necessary for success and vital to the avoidance of campaign competition. The continued success and growth of community contributions to both was the outcome of this ongoing collaboration. The New Mount Sinai Hospital opened in mid-1953, while the campaigns to continue improving and expanding its resources continue to the present.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence and occasional reports documenting the relationship between the UJWF and the Board of the New Mount Sinai Hospital about the fundraising campaigns for the new hospital being constructed on Univeristy Avenue during the 1950's. Also included are two photographs of the new hospital. Files in this sub-series have been arranged chronologically.
With the post-Second World War expansion of Toronto's Jewish population, the original Jewish Home for the Aged on Cecil St. had become totally outmode in size and treament capability. By 1949 an expanding economy made it possible to begin the necessary planning for a much larger replacement facility which included the Baycrest Hospital, at 3560 Bathurst St. in North York. The sod-turning ceremony occurred on June 7, 1951. Although fundraising for the construction this facility was not the responsibility of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, the entire Toronto Jewish Community was to be canvassed for the funds to build it. The proven fundraising expertise of the UJWF, its donor lists, and the goals of its own annual campaign ensured that constant correspondence and cooperation between the campaigns was both necessary for success and vital to the avoidance of campaign competition. The continued success and growth of community contributions to all was the outcome of this ongoing collaboration.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence and occasional reports documenting the relationship between the UJWF and the fundraising campaigns for the new Home for the Aged being constructed during the 1950s. Files in this sub-series have been arranged chronologically.
This special sub-committee was established by the Executive Committee in order to examine the problems that had arisen with special, ear-marked gifts donated as part of the annual fund-raising campaign. The sub-committee was to develop recommendations on the best possible way to deal with such donations. The sub-committee met only once, on January 21, 1960.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of one one file of meeting minutes.
The position of Executive Director was created in the 1936-37 period during which the United Jewish Welfare Fund replaced the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies as Toronto's central Jewish community fundraising organization. The Executive Director always sat on the Executive Committee, sometimes as Secretary, other times as Chair. Most significantly, this person was the senior responsible manager for the day-to-day administration of the activities and responsibilities of the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of the correspondence and memoranda records of the Executive Directors of the UJWF. Records in this series are divided into two sub-series: correspondence and memoranda.
Sub-series consists of a complete run of minutes of meetings of the Board of Directors of the UJWF. from 1939 through 1975. Also included are occassional sets of study reports on education and communal organization prepared for the Board. Files are arranged chronologically.
Based on a Board of Directors recommendation, this special committee was established to cooperate with the Bureau of Jewish Education in examining the fiscal relationship between the UJWF and the BJE and also to determine the need for, and location of, a new school in North York.Its Chairman was Albert Shifrin.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of one file of agendas, meeting minutes, and reports produced by the committee.
For other records of the Executive Committee of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, see Fonds 67, Series 5, Sub-series 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 5-4, 5-5 and 5-7.
For records of the the Executive Committee of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, see Fonds 66, Series 6.
Sub-series consists of reports, submissions and budget planning materials of the UJWF Budget and Finance Committee. Records include: reports about schools tuition fees; financial statistics noting assets and liabilities; and annual financial statements. Files are arranged chronologically.
Sub-series consists of the General Ledgers created for the UJWF Budget and Finance Committee. Also included is one bound volume of the 1949-1951 Payroll Disbursement Journal. Files are arranged chronologically.
CONSERVATION NOTE; File contents have been removed from their original binders and transferred into acid-free file folders.
Sub-series consists of studies and surveys produced by or for the Social Planning Committee in order to determine the needs of various portions of Toronto's Jewish Community and also to plan for the delivery of services to fulfill those needs.