Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
3248 records – page 1 of 65.
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Annual Campaign series
Level
Series
Fonds
67
Series
17
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1938-2008
Physical Description
2.18 m of textual records and other materials
Admin History/Bio
Superseding the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies, the first Annual Campaign of the new United Jewish Welfare Fund took place in 1938. It combined the appeals of 37 organizations into one, eliminating much of the inefficiency and competition of the previous twenty years. Money raised was for agencies and causes new and traditional, local and overseas. Recipients included; the Jewish Immigrant Aid Services, Canadian Jewish Congress, the United Jewish Relief Agencies, the Joint Distribution Committee, and Palestine. In 1938, Campaign could be completed within a mere two weeks and raised $161,000. This figure rose to $348,000 in 1942 and surpassed one million dollars in 1951. When the State of Israel was established in 1948, Campaign was combined with the CJC and the United Palestine appeals into a new, combined campaign and re-named The United Jewish Appeal (UJA).
With different local and world challenges and crises over time, annual campaigns have had a variety of foci: for example, the plight of Displaced Persons in Europe after the Second World War; the 1957 Rescue Campaign for refugees in Russia, Europe and North Africa; the first Emergency Campaign in 1967 in response to the Six Days’ War; and Operation Exodus 1990-1991, which raised funds to aid Soviet Jews.
Early Campaign leadership was provided by lay people. Chairmen of the Campaign Cabinet included Samuel Godfrey, Ben Sadowski, Samuel J. Granatstein, Bernard Vise, Morris S. Till, and Samuel J. Zacks. A small administration committee carried out daily operations, but the bulk of the fundraising work was performed by the Service Council, a group of volunteers who planned, canvassed and evaluated each campaign, as well as organizing educational programs and public meetings. A Women’s Service Council and a Young Peoples’ Service Council also played key fundraising roles.
Canvassing was conducted by volunteers from each professional or trade Division, such as doctors, lawyers, retail sales, etc. The volunteers were responsible for canvassing the members of their own group. A special Women’s Campaign had its own chair, sub-committees and programming. Divisions were further added to reflect the amounts of donations, Top Gifts, and Major Gifts for example. By the 1980s, the Service Councils had given way to professional Campaign Associates employed by UJWF. With further changes to UJWF/UJA Federation’s structure, Campaign first fell under the Financial Resource Development Department, then Integrated Development, and, in 2009, the Centre for Philanthropy. It is now supported by the Donor Relations Management, Donor Research, and Missions/VIP departments which cater to the diverse interests of individual donors.
Through the 1940s and 1950s, face-to-face canvassing was the norm, with donor’s names and gifts published in the UJWF annual report. By the 1960s, an expanding community and a need for efficiency increased the use of the telephone, with regular telethons involving hundreds of volunteers. In 1970, a regular springtime Walk with Israel was included within the rest of Campaign events. In the 21st Century, the internet is used to solicit donations, publicize campaign news and events, and register volunteers for telethons and events like the Walk.
Scope and Content
Series consists of two sub-series, Walk with Israel (sub-series 17-1) and General Campaign Records (sub-series 17-2).
Notes
Physical description note: Includes photographs, videocassettes, posters, DVDs, artfacts and books.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Constitution Committee series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Constitution Committee series
Level
Series
Fonds
67
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
Date
1948-1985
Physical Description
8 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The Constitutional Committee of the UJWF appears to have met irregularly over the years whenever the potential need for its constitution and/or by-laws appears to require changing, updating or modernizing.
Scope and Content
Series consists of one sub-series: 4-1 Constitutional development records, which document the continuing efforts of the Constitution Committee of the UJWF to improve and update its constitution and by-laws.
Notes
Access restriciton note: Records documenting the meeting minutes and activities of this committee are CLOSED until they are more than ten years old.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Constitution Committee series
Constitutional development records sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Constitution Committee series
Constitutional development records sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
67
Series
4-1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1948-1985
Physical Description
8 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of reports, correspondence, by-laws, draft by-laws, and earlier constitutions all documenting efforts to examine the need for, and present recommended changes to, the UJWF constitution.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Constitution Committee series
Constitutional development records sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 67; Series 4-1; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Constitution Committee series
Constitutional development records sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
67
Series
4-1
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1948-1985
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of reports, correspondence, and draft by-laws all documenting the continuing process of updating and improving the UJWF constitution.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Constitution Committee series
Constitutional development records sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 67; Series 4-1; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Constitution Committee series
Constitutional development records sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
67
Series
4-1
File
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1948-1985
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of reports, correspondence, and copies of several revisions of the UJWF constitution.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Administration Committee series
Meeting Minutes sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 8-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Administration Committee series
Meeting Minutes sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
67
Series
8-1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1937-1966
Physical Description
14 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of minutes, correspondence and reports of meetings of the Administration Committee. Also included are minutes of a short-lived 1963 sub-committee constituted to produce a new funding formula specifying how the entire U.J.A. budget was to be divided. Files are arranged chronologically.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Committee on Capital Needs and Planning series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Committee on Capital Needs and Planning series
Level
Series
Fonds
67
Series
10
Material Format
textual record
Date
1944-1967
Physical Description
15 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The first committee meetings were held in 1944 as a forum for joint discussions between the United Jewish Welfare Fund and its client agencies in Toronto to examine the long-term financial needs of the agencies and thus fund-raising plans at the UJWF. As clients were bound to consult the UJWF before initiating fund-raising campaigns of their own, plans for special capital campaigns to finance new buildings by individual organizations such as Mount Sinai Hospital, the YMHA, the Jewish Home for the Aged, and several Jewish schools were also discussed.
Scope and Content
Series consists of two sub-series; Meeting Minutes and Individual Agency Reports. Minutes contain discussions both with individual agencies and also groups of agencies such as schools and camps. Reports consist of detailed financial needs studies about three of the individual agencies. Files are arranged chronologically within each sub-series.
Notes
Access Restriction Note: Records documenting the meeting minutes and activities of this committee and its sub-committees are CLOSED until they are more than ten years old.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Committee on Capital Needs and Planning series
Meeting Minutes sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 67; Series 10-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Committee on Capital Needs and Planning series
Meeting Minutes sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
67
Series
10-1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1944-1967
Physical Description
5 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of minutes of meetings of the Committee on Capital Needs and Planning. These contain discussions both with individual agencies and also groups of agencies such as schools and camps. Plans for special capital campaigns to finance new facilities for such agencies as Mount Sinai Hospital, the YM-YWHA and the Jewish Home for the Aged are documented within this sub-series.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Committee on Capital Needs and Planning series
Meeting Minutes sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 67; Series 10-1; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds
Committee on Capital Needs and Planning series
Meeting Minutes sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
67
Series
10-1
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1944-1952
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of minutes of meetings of the Committee on Capital Needs and Planning.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Fur Workers' Union fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 12; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Fur Workers' Union fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
12
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[194-?]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Admin History/Bio
Atlantic Fur Company Ltd. was established in Toronto in the 1940s and is one of the largest Canadian fur companies
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph taken inside the Atlantic Fur Company showing several employees at their workstations and the interior of the workroom
Notes
Formerly cited as photo #24.
Name Access
Atlantic Fur Company Limited
Fur Workers' Union
Subjects
Clothing workers
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Fur Workers' Union fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Fur Workers' Union fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
12
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1935 and 1949]
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Admin History/Bio
The International Fur Workers' Union was founded by eight local unions in 1913 and held members in both the United States of America and Canada
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of photographs created and/or accumulated by the Fur Workers' Union.
Name Access
Fur Workers' Union
Subjects
Labor unions
Creator
Fur Worker's Union, 1913-
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Fur Workers' Union fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 12; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Fur Workers' Union fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
12
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1942]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Admin History/Bio
National Fur Company was based in Toronto and employed over 200 people at the time this photograph was taken
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph taken inside the National Fur Company of several employees at their workstations
Notes
Formerly cited as photo #25
Name Access
National Fur Company
Fur Workers' Union
Subjects
Clothing workers
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Fur Workers' Union fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 12; Item 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Fur Workers' Union fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
12
Item
3
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1935 and 1940]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Admin History/Bio
Kelman Furs was located at 110 Spadina Avenue in the Tower building.
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of an interior workroom at the Kelman Furs Company on Spadina Avenue. The photograph shows employees posing at their various work stations
Notes
Formerly cited as photo #26.
Name Access
Fur Workers' Union
Kelman, S
Kelman Furs
Subjects
Clothing workers
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
14
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1917-2011
Physical Description
2.82 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
As early as 1916 the Ezras Noshem Society (a mutual benefit society for Jewish women) started to raise funds to purchase and renovate what would become The Toronto Jewish Old Folks' Home (Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care’s forerunner) after its members recognized the need for a home in Toronto where the Jewish elderly could receive kosher meals and communicate with staff in their own language. Property at 31 Cecil Street was purchased in 1917 and sometime between September 1918 and January 1920 the Home officially opened there. The Home was run by a small staff and the women of Ezras Noshem who volunteered their time to make beds, cook kosher meals, do laundry and sponsor fundraising events. By 1938 the Home had expanded into its neighboring houses at 29, 33, and 35 Cecil Street and was caring for 115 residents. It provided residents with synagogue services, a hospital ward and social activities. At this time the Home also became a member of the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
In 1946, the need for a larger and more modern building prompted a fundraising campaign, which was headed by Abe Posluns, to purchase and build a new facility. In December 1954, the new building opened at 3650 Bathurst Street and consisted of two new institutions: The Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital. This location continued to expand over the years, including a new building for residents in 1968, an apartment building for seniors called the Baycrest Terrace in 1976, and a community centre known as The Joseph E. and Minnie Wagman Centre in 1977. These additions enabled Baycrest to expand its programs to include a day care program, recreational programs, and a Sheltered Workshop which was run in cooperation with the Jewish Vocational Service and provided residents with employment. In 1986 a new Baycrest Hospital was erected, and in 1989, the Rotman Research Institute, which is also affiliated with the University of Toronto, opened to create a research facility where top researchers could study and find new treatment methods for the elderly.
In recent years, Baycrest’s services and programs have continued to expand. In 2000, the Apotex Centre, the Jewish Home for the Aged and the Louis and Leah Posluns Centre for Stroke and Cognition opened to help residents with progressive dementia caused by vascular disorders. In 2001 a condominium building opened at 2 Neptune Drive for seniors, and in 2003 the Sam and Ida Ross Memory Clinic was established to provide out-patient services for seniors with memory disorders. Baycrest Centre also provides numerous cultural and religious programs for the inhabitants and the greater community, including a heritage museum, art exhibits and a Holocaust program.
Custodial History
Records were donated to the OJA in a series of accessions from a variety of sources, including the Baycrest Women's Auxiliary and the Multicultural Historical Society of Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the history, governance, and activities of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, photographs, artifacts, constitutions, publications, press releases, financial records, event invitations, programs, a scrapbook, a poster, lists, theatrical scripts, newspaper clippings, brochures and booklets, flyers, a land deed, certificates, schedules, annual calendars, cards, questionnaires, and lists.
Fonds is arranged into eleven series: 1. Board of Directors and Executive Committee; 2. Annual General Meetings and Annual Reports; 3. Committees and meetings; 4. Women's Auxiliary; 5. Men's Service Group; 6. Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home; 7. Programs and services; 8. Religious services; 9. Fundraising; 10. Publications and publicity; and, 11. Events. Records are described to the file level with some item level descriptions.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 1102 photographs, 4 coins, 2 posters, 1 badge, 1 pin, 1 key chain, 1 postcard, and 1 pen.
Associated material note: related material at Library and Archives Canada includes a small Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds, and the Eric Exton fonds. For architectural records see the Irving D. Boigon fonds 243 at the City of Toronto Archives (Boigon was an architect who designed many of Baycrest's buildings between the 1970s and 1990s). Contact Baycrest Centre's Heritage Museum for committee records from the 1930s, and consult Baycrest's website to access electronic copies of current issues of Baycrest's publications.
Name Access
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care
Baycrest Hospital
Ezras Noshem Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Hospitals
Old age homes
Related Material
See Gordon Mendly Fonds 18, series 3-4; Jewish Vocational Services of Toronto fonds 75; United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds 67; accession # 2009-6-2; Dora Till Fonds 52; J. Irving Oelbaum Fonds 24; Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds 61, series 1-1; Gilbert Studios fonds 37; Ben Kayfetz fonds 62, series 3, file 3; JFWB fonds 87, series 6, files 5 and 6; JIAS fonds 9, series 7, file 1; Harold S. Kaplan fonds 27, series 1-4, and Morris Norman fonds 22.
Creator
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, 1917-
Accession Number
1982-11-1
1983-11-2
1988-2-7
1979-9-17
1979-9-23
1987-9-7
2004-5-50
MG 2 O 1A
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
17
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1936-1992
Physical Description
47 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
By 1919 the plight of post-war Eastern European Jewry and the need for a united community voice for Canadian Jewry led to the creation of the Canadian Jewish Congress. Its founding meeting was held on March 16, 1919 in Montreal. Though it briefly maintained a tiny regional office in Toronto, the CJC remained inactive until 1933, when it fully reconvened by opening offices in Winnipeg, Montreal, and Toronto. Egmont L. Frankel was the first President of the new Central Division in Toronto. While the National Office in Montreal focused on the overarching issues of the social and economic rights of European Jewry, assistance for Jewish immigrants, and combating prejudice in Canada, the Toronto office dealt with local violent anti-Jewish demonstrations as well as continuing discrimination both in employment and in access to public recreational facilities. The structure was based on regular national biennial plenary conferences at which policies were delineated and national and regional executives were elected. Between plenary sessions, National and Regional Councils were in charge. These were augmented by the following standing committees: Administrative, Officers, Personnel, Financial, Publications, and Educational and Cultural. Special committees were created to deal with issues such as: youth, community loans, kashruth, fundraising, Israel, Russian Jewry, and various emergency issues such as refugees, immigration, and housing.
During the 1930s the Central Division Office moved several times and occupied offices in the following locations; Yonge St., the Bond St. Synagogue, Scheuer House, the Zionist Building, and its long-term home at 150-152 Beverley Street where it remained until its July, 1983 move to the Lipa Green Building in North York. Its activities expanded to include taking responsibility for Jewish educational standards but, by 1941, its main efforts shifted to support for Canada’s war effort. Immediately after the end of the war, the focus again shifted to Jewish immigration projects and the maintenance of Jewish identity in small communities. By 1950, the CJC’s use of the title “division” was changed to “region” to accommodate internal operational “divisions” within each region. Also, by then, the Central Region was busy expanding its programs for all Ontario Jewish communities, creating a province-wide council of youth groups, and working with the newly-created Bureau of Jewish Education (later Board of Jewish Education, now Mercaz). Standardization of kashruth rules in Ontario was implemented. As well, regular educational conferences and cultural events were held throughout the province, while province-wide fund-raising efforts in support of Moess Chittin for relief projects in Israel and for local Congress activities were expanded. Many of its educational and cultural responsibilities necessitated working with other Jewish organizations such as the United Jewish Welfare Fund, Jewish Immigrant Aid Society (JIAS), Hadassah, the Canadian Legion, B’nai Brith, the World Jewish Congress, the American Jewish Congress, and the many Landsmenshaften (Jewish mutual benefit societies, each formed by immigrants originating from the same Eastern European community).
During the 1960s, the Central Region began sending Moess Chittin relief shipments to Cuban Jews unable to acquire kosher foods for Passover. Its lobbying efforts included participation in the Royal Commissions on Hate Propaganda, and its greatest success came with the introduction and implementation of Ontario’s Fair Employment and Fair Accommodation Practices legislation, an achievement in which Congress played a pivotal role.
From 1971 to 1989 the major focus became international and Canada-wide lobbying for, and providing support to, Soviet Jewry. Virtually all local and Canadian efforts to assist the Soviet Jewish “refusniks” were organized and coordinated in Toronto by the CJC Ontario Region office, which provided staff and funding for the many lobbying activities and public demonstrations which characterized this successful effort.
As of November 1975, the CJC Central Region’s responsibilities in Toronto were radically altered. To improve cost efficiency in Toronto, CJC educational and social service program activities were merged with similar programs already provided by Toronto’s United Jewish Appeal. The UJA assumed sole responsibility for these amalgamated programs in Toronto and was renamed Toronto Jewish Congress. The CJC Central Region still retained province-wide responsibilities for Ontario’s smaller Jewish communities, and its office remained in Toronto. Also, following this reorganization, its name was changed to Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region. Although CJC no longer provided direct social and educational programs to Toronto, the TJC’s senior executive was, at the time, still obliged to continue to keep it notified about developments concerning previous Congress responsibilities.
Since 1983 the Ontario Region’s offices have been, like those of the UJA Federation, located in the Lipa Green Building, 4600 Bathurst St., North York. It continued its work of financially supporting various Israeli institutions and, as well, fostering Canada-Israel relations. It also spearheaded the movement to support and protect Jews in Arab lands, especially in Syria. Funding for the Canadian Jewish Congress now comes from the Canadian Council for Israel and Jewish Advocacy, which redistributes a portion of the funds raised by local Jewish Federations across Canada. The CJC National Office then funds the regional offices. As of 2009, the Ontario Region’s central mandate is to represent the Jewish community to Ontario residents and government on issues of social justice and public policy. Its structure remains the same: an Officers’ group supported by various volunteer committees and a small professional staff together deliberating on regional issues and implementing national policies at the regional level.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the records of the Ontario Region office of the Canadian Jewish Congress. Of primary importance in documenting this organization’s history are its minutes of the Executive and Administrative Committees and the various standing, and short-term committees such as Community Organization, Finance, Fund Raising, Educational and Cultural, Research, Immigration, War Efforts, and Jewish Education. Most of these records are still managed all together within Fonds 17, Series 1. Fonds 17, Series 2 contains the general subject and correspondence files of these committees. Records in both series require further processing.
Records now found in Series 3 document the efforts of the Committee for Soviet Jewry in coordinating the activities of the many Toronto and Ontario organizations involved in assisting Soviet Jewry during the 1971 to 1989 period.
Series 4 consists of administrative and committee records of the United Jewish Refugee and War Relief Agencies in Toronto from 1938 through 1967. These document its work rescuing the survivors of European Jewish communities, settling as many as possible in Ontario, and providing assistance to those attempting to obtain restitution payments.
Series 5 consists of the records of the Community Relations Committee (1938-1976). Responding to depression-era anti-Semitism in Canada, the Canadian Jewish Congress and B’nai Brith together established in 1938 a new joint committee. Since then this Committee has documented racist threats in Canada; initiated advocacy activities to work for improved civil rights; promoted legislation combating hate; worked to ensure equality of access to employment, education and accommodation; and investigated specific incidents of discrimination. The Committee, for example, played a key role in achieving the Anti-Discrimination Act of 1944, and the Fair Employment Practices Act of 1951, key steps leading to Canada’s current Human Rights Code. Although originally named Joint Public Relations Committee in 1938, a series of name changes later occurred; s follows: Joint Community Relations Committee, Central Region (1962-1978), Joint Community Relations Committee, CJC, Ontario Region (ca. 1978-ca. 1991) Community Relations Committee, CJC, Ontario Region (ca. 1991-present) Records in this series were reorganized into 5 sub-series and a further 9 sub-sub-series during the 2009 to 2011 period. For further details please view the database records for Fonds 17, Series 5. Although this series will eventually hold all CRC records up to 1992, only those prior to 1979 are currently fully processed.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 1839 photographs, 89 audio cassettes, 11 videocassettes, 4 drawings, and 6 microfilm reels (16 mm).
Processing note: Processing of this fonds is ongoing. Additional descriptive entries will be added in future.
Name Access
Canadian Jewish Congress. Ontario Region
Subjects
Pressure groups
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the Archivist prior to accessing some of the records
Arrangement
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the Archivist prior to accessing some of the records.
Creator
Canadian Jewish Congress. Ontario Region (1919-2011)
Places
Ontario
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 55
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
55
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1919-1963
Physical Description
5.5 m of textual records
46 photographs : b&w ; 26 x 36 cm or smaller
10 objects
Admin History/Bio
Julius Pincus Katz (1884-1964) was a Toronto businessman who held important positions in many Jewish community organizations, and was a co-founder and president of Mizrachi-Hapoel Hamizrachi of Toronto, the religious Zionist organization. Katz was born in Rakow, Poland, on 12 Dec. 1884, the son of Abraham Mordecai and Tzivia Katz. In 1904, he married Anna Lea Sterenbach, and they moved to Toronto in 1907. Julius and Anna had four children: Rachel, Bernard, Morris, and Nathan.
Katz became a tobacconist in 1926, and was president of Reliable Tobacco Company, Toronto, which supplied tobacco products to small stores in the city. In the late 1920s, he served as president of Talmud Torah Eitz Chaim, an orthodox Jewish school, and was a member of the executive committees of the Zionist Council of Toronto, the Jewish Old Folks Home, and the United Jewish Welfare Fund in the 1930s and 1940s. He also served as a director of the Canadian Jewish Congress. Throughout his life, Katz was heavily involved in fundraising for Zionist organizations and Jewish communities in Israel, for seminaries, and for other religious and educational institutions. He also served as president of his synagogue, Beth Jacob Congregation. Mr. Katz died in Toronto on 23 Apr. 1964.
Scope and Content
The fonds documents Katz's work with Mizrachi-Hapoel Hamizrachi, the Toronto Zionist Council, the United Jewish Welfare Fund, and other Jewish organizations in Toronto, as well as his fundraising efforts for various theological seminaries and the Jewish National Fund. The records include correspondence and memoranda, meeting minutes, subject files, financial records, newspaper clippings and scrapbooks. The fonds also includes some family records and correspondence, and some business records from the Reliable Tobacco Company. The photographs in the fonds include family pictures and photographs of conferences and public events attended by Julius Katz, including events at which he received awards in recognition of his volunteer work. The objects in the fonds include award plaques received by Katz, and badges from conventions attended by Katz.
Name Access
Katz, Julius P., 1884-1964
Creator
Katz, Julius Pincus, 1884-1964
Accession Number
1980-4-6
1980-6-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Beth Isaiah Congregation fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 59
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Beth Isaiah Congregation fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
59
Material Format
textual record
Date
1929-1976
Physical Description
65 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The Guelph Hebrew Congregation, precursor of Beth Isaiah Congregation, was established in the early 1900s by the Jewish families which settled in Guelph shortly after 1900. Rev. Pearl was the congregation's first spiritual leader and teacher. Services were held in private homes until 1925, when the congregation purchased a building at the intersection of Surrey and Dublin Streets and remodeled it as a synagogue. An extension was added to this building in 1935 to meet the needs of the increasing membership. Planning for a new synagogue began in the early 1940s, and construction was completed in 1949 of the new synagogue on the same site. The name of the congregation was changed to Beth Isaiah, in honour of congregation member Isaiah (Sidney) Acker, who was killed on active service on 3 November 1942, while with the Royal Canadian Air Force.
Over the years, congregation members formed other organizations whose activities were tightly intertwined with the congregation, given the relatively small size of Guelph's Jewish community. These organizations included the Beth Isaiah Congregation Hebrew School, the Guelph Jewish Welfare Fund, the Ir Shalom Chapter of Hadassah, and the B'nai Brith Guelph Lodge. The B'nai Brith Guelph Lodge was chartered in Apr. 1942. It held the first Brotherhood dinner in Canada in 1947, which gave impetus to the formation of the Canadian Council of Christians and Jews. Beth Isaiah celebrated the 100th anniversary of the congregation in 2004.
Scope and Content
The fonds documents the activities, membership, and finances of Beth Isaiah Congregation and affiliated organizations, including the Beth Isaiah Ladies' Auxiliary, Beth Isaiah Congregation Hebrew School, the Guelph Jewish Welfare Fund, the Ir Shalom Chapter of Hadassah, and the B'nai Brith Guelph Lodge. The records in the fonds include financial records, membership ledgers, meeting minutes, correspondence and newsletters, and fundraising materials. The fonds also includes blueprints and other records relating to the construction of Beth Isaiah Synagogue in 1949.
Name Access
Beth Isaiah Congregation (Guelph, Ont.)
Subjects
Synagogues
Creator
Beth Isaiah Congregation (Guelph, Ont.)
Places
Guelph (Ont.)
Accession Number
1985-3-11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 37
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
37
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1939 and 1945]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of a group of Jewish women at a flying school in Brantford, Ontario. The women are being shown by two military servicewomen how to fold a parachute. The school officer is pictured on the far left. Also identified are:
The school officer, Anne Tulchinsky, Kay Solomon, Rose Bloom, Mrs. Furman of New York (wife of New York district attorney and speaker on Youth Aliyah).
Subjects
Flight schools
Portraits, Group
Women
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 30
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
30
Material Format
graphic material
Date
Mar. 1945
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Admin History/Bio
Captain Ben Henry was a member of the Medical Corps during the Second World War. He was part of a group known as the "faithful forty-seven".
Scope and Content
This item is a copy photograph and corresponding negative of Captain Ben Henry of Brantford, Ontario. The photo was taken in Debert, Nova Scotia and features Henry standing in front of an armoured vehicle.
Name Access
Canada. Canadian Army. Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps
Subjects
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Debert (N.S.)
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 27
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
27
Material Format
graphic material
Date
Oct. 1945
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy photograph and corresponding negative of Sergeant Sam Rapoport of Brantford, Ontario, taken in Copenhagen during the Second World War.
Subjects
Portraits
Soldiers--Canada
World War, 1939-1945
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Denmark
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 35
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
35
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1939 and 1945]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Admin History/Bio
Lieutenant Stren was a member of the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (RCEME) unit during the Second World War.
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Lieutenant Maurie Stren of Brantford, Ontario, taken during the Second World War. Lt. Stren is pictured in his military uniform.
Name Access
Canada. Canadian Army. Corps of Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers
Subjects
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 32
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
32
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1939 and 1945]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Admin History/Bio
Sgt. Kanter was with the Royal Canadian Artillery.
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Sergeant Ben Kanter of Brantford, Ontario in his military uniform, taken during the Second World War.
Name Access
Canada. Canadian Army
Subjects
Portraits
World War, 1939-1945
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 31
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
31
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1939 and 1945]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Max Rapoport of Brantford, Ontario in his military uniform, taken during the Second World War.
Subjects
Portraits
World War, 1939-1945
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1160
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1160
Material Format
graphic material
Date
5 Oct. 1942
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 20 x 25 cm on mat 29 x 33 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Admin History/Bio
Jack Moldaver was sent back to Canada from England to attend officers' training school.
Scope and Content
This item is an original print and copy negative of Jack Moldaver (Maldaver) seated in the sanctuary of the Beth David Synagogue in Brantford, Ontario, with an assembled group of men from the B'nai Brith lodge. The lodge was presenting him with an honour award at the time of the photograph. Jack is pictured in his RCAF uniform, alongside four other Jewish servicemen. Identified individuals include:
Harry Hoffman, Max Harris, Sender Renzen, Gord Henkle, Harry Tulchinsky, Les Pasis, Sam Sherman, Sam Finklestein, Mike Harris, Wilf Stemeroff, Dave Rosenberg, Joel Lipovitch, Sam Neiman, Harry Wise, Louis Rapoport, Ben Hoffman, Sam Rovinsky, Merf Silverstein, Norm Zaltz, Sam Silverstein, Max Sherman, Harry Solomon, Gord White, I. Raimer, William Brown, Ira Smuckler, Hy Levine, Al Gazer, Jack Moldaver, David Noble, Ben Schacher, Charles Schleifer, Saul Rovinsky, Joe Poss, Louis Kwitko, I. Sherman, Max White, Max Gazer, Benny Markovitch, Sam Bloom, Joe Lunenfeld, Harry Friedman, Bill Brown, Louis Henkle.
Notes
Title taken from writing on photo.
See accompanying paper with photo for location of identified individuals.
Name Access
Beth David Synagogue (Brantford, Ont.)
B'nai B'rith. Brantford Lodge, No. 1154
Moldaver, Jack
Maldaver, Jack
Subjects
Awards
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Brantford (Ont.)
Accession Number
1976-6-13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1159
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1159
Material Format
graphic material
Date
5 Oct. 1942
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 19 x 25 cm on mat 29 x 33 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is an original print and copy negative of Jack Moldaver (Maldaver) being presented with an award by the Brantford B'nai Brith lodge. The photograph was taken inside the Beth David Synagogue in Brantford, Ontario. Jack is wearing his RCAF uniform. Pictured from left to right are:
Louis Henkle, Harry Tulchinsky, Sam Silverstein, Jack Moldaver, [unidentified], Harry Solomon.
Notes
Title taken from writing on photo.
Name Access
B'nai B'rith. Brantford Lodge, No. 1154
Moldaver, Jack
Maldaver, Jack
Subjects
Awards
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Brantford (Ont.)
Accession Number
1976-6-13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1135
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1135
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1942]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of a group of young women standing behind a table with linens and baby items for sale. Pictured from left to right are:
Edith Rapoport (m. Kanter), Shava Zaltz (m. Siegel), Lena Strenkovsky (m. Rothberg), Sarah Raimer, Rose Resnick (m. Halpert), and Ethel Rapoport (m. Rotberg).
Name Access
Canadian Young Judaea
Subjects
Youth
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Brantford (Ont.)
Accession Number
1976-6-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Congregation Beth David fonds
Events series
Laying of the cornerstone at Waterloo Street file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 88; Series 6; File 2; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Congregation Beth David fonds
Events series
Laying of the cornerstone at Waterloo Street file
Level
Item
Fonds
88
Series
6
File
2
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
19 Aug. 1947
Physical Description
3 photographs (1 negative) : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph, copy print and corresponding negative of the cornerstone setting ceremonies for Congregation Beth David at Waterloo Street in Brantford, Ontario. The photo depicts a group of men and women standing at the site of the new synagogue. There is an Israeli and Ontario flag hanging in the background.
Notes
Title taken from writing on photograph.
Subjects
Flags--Israel
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1978-11-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Congregation Beth David fonds
Events series
Laying of the cornerstone at Waterloo Street file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 88; Series 6; File 2; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Congregation Beth David fonds
Events series
Laying of the cornerstone at Waterloo Street file
Level
Item
Fonds
88
Series
6
File
2
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
19 Aug. 1947
Physical Description
3 photographs (1 negative) : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph, copy print and corresponding negative of the cornerstone setting ceremonies for Congregation Beth David at Waterloo Street in Brantford, Ontario. The photograph depicts a group of men and one woman standing in front of the cornerstone, which reads: Dedicated by Louis and Celia Henkle, August 1947.
Notes
Title taken from writing on photograph.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1978-11-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Congregation Beth David fonds
Events series
Groundbreaking at Waterloo Street file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 88; Series 6; File 1; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Congregation Beth David fonds
Events series
Groundbreaking at Waterloo Street file
Level
Item
Fonds
88
Series
6
File
1
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
3 Apr. 1947
Physical Description
3 photographs (1 negative) : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph, copy print and corresponding negative of the groundbreaking ceremonies for Congregation Beth David at 50 Waterloo Street in Brantford, Ontario. The photograph depicts a group of men standing at the site of the new synagogue. One man is holding a shovel.
Notes
Title taken from writing on photograph.
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1978-11-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 26
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
26
Material Format
graphic material
Date
Aug. 1947
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 21 x 26 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of the cornerstone setting ceremonies of the new Beth David Synagogue in Brantford, Ontario. Pictured in the photograph are:
F. Wallace, Mrs. Celia Henkle, Louis Henkle, Rabbi Gedalia Felder, Mayor Matthews, David Miller, and W. Ross MacDonald.
Subjects
Rites and ceremonies
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1948
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 21 x 26 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of a model Passover Seder at the Beth David Synagogue in Brantford, Ontario. The photograph depicts a group of students seated on a stage, in front of an assembled audience.
Subjects
Passover
Seder
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1977-5-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 805
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
805
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[194-]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 18 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Dave Korman was the former mayor of Englehart, Ontario, and a pioneer farmer at Krugerdorf.
Scope and Content
This item is a portrait of Dave Korman of Englehart, Ontario.
Notes
Photo by Duke Studios
Acquired in 1976.
Name Access
Korman, Dave
Subjects
Farmers
Politicians
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Englehart (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 400
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
400
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1945
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Harry and Clara Smith, farmers in Fonthill, Ontario.
Notes
Acquired on 21 Jan. 1975.
Name Access
Smith, Clara
Smith, Harry
Subjects
Farmers
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Fonthill (Pelham, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 404
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
404
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1945
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 13 x 18 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Harry Smith seated on his tractor with an unidentified couple. The photograph was taken on his farm in Fonthill, Ontario.
Notes
Acquired on 21 Jan. 1975.
Name Access
Smith, Harry
Subjects
Farms
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Fonthill (Pelham, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 401
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
401
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Clara Smith seated in a horse-drawn sleigh on her farm in Fonthill, Ontario.
Notes
Acquired on 21 Jan. 1975.
Name Access
Smith, Clara
Subjects
Farms
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Fonthill (Pelham, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 402
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
402
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Harry and Clara Smith seated in a horse-drawn sleigh on their farm in Fonthill, Ontario.
Notes
Acquired on 21 Jan. 1975.
Name Access
Smith, Clara
Smith, Harry
Subjects
Farms
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Fonthill (Pelham, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 403
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
403
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1946
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 198 x 13 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Harry Smith seated in a horse-drawn sleigh on his farm in Fonthill, Ontario.
Notes
Acquired on 21 Jan. 1975.
Name Access
Smith, Harry
Subjects
Farms
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Fonthill (Pelham, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 405
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
405
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1949]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 13 x 18 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Harry Smith behind a team of horses pulling a wheat thresher, on his farm in Fonthill, Ontario. A small boy is riding on the back of one horse and another man is standing behind the thresher.
Notes
Acquired on 21 Jan. 1975.
Name Access
Smith, Harry
Subjects
Farms
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Fonthill (Pelham, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1553
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1553
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1948
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print of a B'nai Brith banquet in Fort William (Thunder Bay), Ontario. The photograph depicts a group of men and women seated at several banquet tables.
Name Access
B'nai B'rith
Subjects
Dinners and dining
Repro Restriction
Original owned by the Manitoba Archives, Jewish Historical Society of Western Canada collection. Please credit accordingly.
Places
Thunder Bay (Ont.)
Accession Number
1978-4-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1125
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1125
Material Format
graphic material
Date
July 1946
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 13 x 18 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of the house at 63 Water Street in Galt, Ontario (now Cambridge), which was purchased from the Canadian Bank of Commerce for use by the community synagogue.
Subjects
Dwellings
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Galt (Cambridge, Ont.)
Accession Number
1976-6-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee meeting agendas, minutes, reports and correspondence series
Level
Series
Fonds
17
Series
1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
text
Date
1948-1998
Physical Description
ca. 3.3 metres of textual records
14 photographs
1 book
Scope and Content
Series consists of the correspondence, minutes, agendas, and reports of a wide variety of committees of the Canadian Jewish Congress. The bulk of the material relates to the CJC National and Ontario region executive committees, officers' committees, and plenary arrangements committees. Additional records relate to committees concerned with such topics as, small Jewish communities, culture, Holocaust remembrance, student campus services, education, finance and fundraising, kashruth, and Israel.
Notes
Files created by the United Jewish Relief Agencies have been removed and may now be found within Fonds 17, Series 4.
Files created by the Committee for Soviet Jewry have been removed and may now be found within Fonds 17, Series 3
Files created by the Joint Community Relations Committee have been removed and may now be found within fonds 17, Series 5.
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Some records are closed for conservation reasons.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
General office subject and correspondence files series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 17; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
General office subject and correspondence files series
Level
Series
Fonds
17
Series
2
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1948-1998
Physical Description
ca. 7 metres of textual records and other material
Scope and Content
Series consists of the general office subject and correspondence files of the Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region. Included is correspondence, memos, reports, speeches, bulletins, news releases, conference proceedings, promotional material, news clippings, photographs, videos, and sound recordings. The records relate to a wide variety of topics, such as small communities, Yiddish culture, Holocaust survivors and remembrance, Jewish youth and seniors, fundraising initiatives, neo-nazis, Cuban Jews, education, and human rights issues and legal cases.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 390 photographs, 89 audio cassettes, 11 videocassettes, and 4 drawings.
Files created by the United Jewish Relief Agencies have been removed and may now be found within Fonds 17, Series 4.
Files created by the Committee for Soviet Jewry have been removed and may now be found within Fonds 17, Series 3
Files created by the Joint Community Relations Committee have been removed and may now be found within fonds 17, Series 5.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
216 Beverley Street
Source
Landmarks

The Apter Synagogue was formed by a group of people who came to Toronto from the area of Opatow (Apt) in Poland around the turn of the century. They first established a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in the Ward. In 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. Both the synagogue members and the Apter Friendly Society met there.
Address
216 Beverley Street
Time Period
1918-unknown
Scope Note
The Apter Synagogue was formed by a group of people who came to Toronto from the area of Opatow (Apt) in Poland around the turn of the century. They first established a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in the Ward. In 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. Both the synagogue members and the Apter Friendly Society met there.
History
In later years, a bitter controversy between the synagogue and society erupted and the building was sold.
Category
Political
Religious
Private Clubs
Source
Landmarks
Address
52 East Fox Lake Rd.
Source
Landmarks

Established in 1933, Camp Winnebagoe was the first Jewish co-educational camp in Canada, owned and operated by Joe and Sadie Danson. First located on the Rouge River, just east of Toronto, the camp moved to a number of different lakeside locations in the Huntsville area, during its long history. In 1971, Camp Winnebagoe purchased Camp Ogama on Fox Lake and it has been there since, operated by the Lustig family. The camp’s programming includes secular and Jewish traditions including themed days, events honouring individual campers’ outstanding contributions and Friday Night Services.
Address
52 East Fox Lake Rd.
Time Period
1933-present
Scope Note
Established in 1933, Camp Winnebagoe was the first Jewish co-educational camp in Canada, owned and operated by Joe and Sadie Danson. First located on the Rouge River, just east of Toronto, the camp moved to a number of different lakeside locations in the Huntsville area, during its long history. In 1971, Camp Winnebagoe purchased Camp Ogama on Fox Lake and it has been there since, operated by the Lustig family. The camp’s programming includes secular and Jewish traditions including themed days, events honouring individual campers’ outstanding contributions and Friday Night Services.
History
In 1946, David Lieberman founded Camp Ogama, a private a co-educational overnight camp for children aged 6-16, on Fox Lake near Huntsville. It was touted to be “Canada’s most progressive camp for young Jewish boys and girls.” The socially conscience programming offered at Camp Ogama had a profound impact on counselors and campers alike producing highly influential alumni. Former camper journalist Earl Pomerantz reflects, “Camp inoculated us with a passion for justice. And it wasn’t write a check and see you later; this was money where your mouth is.”
Category
Camps and Resorts
Source
Landmarks
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Director of school finances series
School audited financial statements sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 3-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Director of school finances series
School audited financial statements sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
48
Series
3-2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1949-1999
Physical Description
45 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
The series consists of copies of audited financial statements from BJE affiliated schools. Receiving and reviewing these statements was one component of the director of school finances' work. Copies of the reports were shared with members of the BJE Fiscal Committee, and were kept on file by the director for future reference and comparison.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Subject files series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Subject files series
Level
Series
Fonds
48
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1947-1999
Physical Description
5.6 m of textual records
ca. 175 photographs : col. and b&w (ca. 165 col. negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
The series consists of alphabetical subject files, titled primarily by names of persons, organizations and events, but also by topic (e.g., "Sabbath observance"). The file contents include both records relating to programs, events and activities of the BJE or which involved BJE staff, and also topical materials about the subjects of the files (e.g., newspaper clippings or articles on a given topic). The photographs in the series are primarily from a tribute dinner honouring Harold Malitzky, on 25 May 1992. A large percentage of the files appear to have been created by the executive director, but the files also include records received or created by other BJE professional staff and by BJE board members. Some of the files contain personal correspondence and records of the executive director.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
School files series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
School files series
Level
Series
Fonds
48
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
Date
1949-2000
Physical Description
2.7 m of textual records
Scope and Content
The series contains a wide range of records relating to affiliated schools, created or accumulated by all BJE professional staff, and organized alphabetically by school name. The series documents many, if not all, of the interactions between the schools and the BJE board and professional staff. The files include the following kinds of materials: correspondence with school principals and administrators; BJE school consultants' reports on school visits; information on school enrolment and curriculum; school annual reports and budgets, newsletters, event programs and other promotional materials.
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Board of directors and executive committee series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 48; Series 1; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Board of directors and executive committee series
Level
File
Fonds
48
Series
1
File
7
Material Format
textual record
Date
1949
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Board of directors and executive committee series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 48; Series 1; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Board of directors and executive committee series
Level
File
Fonds
48
Series
1
File
8
Material Format
textual record
Date
1942-1950
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 48; Series 4; File 91
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
Fonds
48
Series
4
File
91
Material Format
textual record
Date
1947-1950
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
3248 records – page 1 of 65.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content