Morris Norman (b. 1946) is a chartered accountant living and working in Toronto. He is an avid collector of Canadiana, specifically Judaica. He purchases lots at auction and donates them to the Ontario Jewish Archives, as well as other institutions.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of the individual items collected at auction by Morris Norman. The records relate to the Toronto Jewish community and Ontario Jewry and include textual documents, photographs, near-prints, publications, artifacts, posters and broadsheets, sound recordings, and ephemera. Most of the items relate to various Jewish organizations, businesses, synagogues and individuals, and to Christian missionary work in Toronto. The material has been described at the file level, or where appropriate, the item level.
There are also four distinct series of records which document Berul Sugarman, who was a concert violinist and orchestral leader; the Franklin family, who owned a large amount of property in Toronto in the late 1800s and early 1900s; radio and television scripts written by Wayne and Shuster, Henry Karpus and Russell Bradley; and a collection of Turofsky photographs.
Physical description note: Includes 49 objects, 25 photographs, 7 audio recordings and 4 prints.
Abraham Franklin (ca. 1844-1905) and his wife Frances "Fanny" Franklin (ca. 1844-1908) came to Canada from Germany in 1865, via the United States. Together they had seven children: Jacob ("John"), Henry ("Harry"), Hyman ("Herman"), Annie (m. Robinson), Simon ("Sam"), Dora, and Katie.
Abraham began as a picture frame dealer on York Street, later becoming, with his wife, the owner of a second-hand clothing store on Queen Street West. By 1890, Abraham had established a jewellery store named Franklin Brothers, with his sons Jacob and Henry, and by the early 1910s also owned A. Franklin & Sons. The two businesses continued to operate simultaneously as a pawn shop, a jewellery store, and even a bicycle repair shop.
The Franklin family owned many large plots of valuable land in downtown Toronto, which they leased out to individuals and businesses, including Eaton's. Their land was located on the north side of Albert Street from James Street to Bay Street, along Gerrard Street from Yonge to Elizabeth Streets, and along Walton Street from Yonge to Elizabeth Streets. Later, the children inherited the property held by their parents, which had extended around the Queen Street West and Portland Avenue area.
In 1916, stemming from family concerns over her upcoming marriage to Elias Robinson, Annie Franklin transferred ownership of her portion of the inherited Franklin estate to her brothers—Henry, Hyman, and Simon—for a cost of $25,000 to be held in trust for her.
Scope and Content
This series contains residential and commercial leases between various members of the Franklin family and the building occupiers, as well as deeds of land documenting the purchase or transfer of land. Also included are statutory declarations, mortgage papers, and some family legal documents.
The documents have been arranged into files by property and have been described at the file level. There is also a separate file for the family legal documents and for a set of invoices submitted by the Franklin family barristers.
This file contains a memorandum of release, statutory declarations and a purchase agreement between Thomas Graham and John Franklin for the land situated at 26-36 Albert Street. The land was comprised of lots 131-133 and was located on the northeast corner of Albert and James streets. Franklin purchased the land in 1902. The file also contains a lease of the same land between the Franklin family and the T. Eaton Company.
This file contains the original deeds of land, mortgage papers and statutory declarations for the property bought by Henry Franklin in 1916, situated on the northwest corner of Gerrard and Terauley (Bay) streets. The property was comprised of lots thirteen and fourteen of concession one, and included the address 190 Terauley Street.
This file contains the original deeds of land, mortgage papers and statutory declarations for the property bought by the Franklin family in 1916, situated on the southeast corner of Gerrard and Terauley (Bay) streets. The property was comprised of lots nine and ten of concession one, and included the address 175-177 Terauley Street. The property was later sold by the family to the City of Toronto in 1929. This file has two parts.
This file contains house and store leases, a deed of land and statutory declarations for the property owned by the Franklin family at 605 Queen Street West. The Franklin family bought the property in 1912 from the Protestant Orphans' Home of Toronto.
This file contains the original deeds of land, mortgage papers, purchase offers, leases and title abstracts for lot four, the property owned by Henry Franklin at the southeast corner of Queen and Bay (Terauley) streets. Specifically, this was the property that included the Colonial Theatre at 43-45 Queen St. West, which Henry Franklin owned and operated.
This file contains the original deed of land and offer to purchase, as well as a statutory declaration for lot nineteen, the property owned by the Franklin family located on the southwest corner of Walton and Bay (Terauley) streets, as well as a lease for the erection of a gasoline station on the same property by Sun Oil Company Limited.