Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
4648 records – page 1 of 93.
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
Collection
ID
Fonds 34
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
Collection
Fonds
34
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1882-1996
Physical Description
58 cm of textual records
11 photographs : col. and b&w ; 28 x 36 cm or smaller
4 lantern slides : col. (hand painted) ; 5 x 8 cm
Admin History/Bio
Larry Becker (1939-1998) was a collector with a focus on his native Toronto. He grew up in central Toronto, near Dundas and Ossington, where his father ran a cigar store. Around 1948, the family moved north to Vaughan. Larry attended Lakeshore Teachers' College and married fellow teacher, Rose Weber, in 1961. He taught primary school in Welland, Ontario
Larry returned to Toronto in June 1965, and began collecting for profit and posterity. That year, with the active assistance of his wife Rose, opened the first of three businesses that sold collectables. Both his father and grandfather had been small-scale collectors. From 1965 to 1996, the growing Becker family lived at 25 Lesgay Crescent in North York. In December 1996, the Beckers moved to a larger place in the Kettleby countryside, where Larry had planned to retire and work on his collection
Larry Becker died on February 20th, 1998
Scope and Content
The collection consists of items collected by Larry Becker including postcards, bulletins from Ontario Jewish organizations, sermons, periodicals, books, hand painted lantern slides documenting scenes of Jews in early Toronto, and other material relating to Ontario's Jewry
Notes
Information for biographical sketch gathered and cited from "Collecting Toronto: Through the Eyes of Larry Becker" virtual exhibit from the City of Toronto website at: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/archives/becker_collections/
The lantern slides have been rehoused and moved to the negative cabinet.
Associated material note: The City of Toronto Archives has an extensive collection in the Larry Becker fonds, Fonds 70 (see Accession file for details)
Physical Condition
The textual records are in good condition. The colour photographs are suffering from severe dark fading and have taken on a distinct red cast.
Creator
Becker, Larry (1939-1998)
Accession Number
2002-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Mothers' and Babes' Summer Rest Home Association series
Programming and events sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 52; Series 1-5; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Mothers' and Babes' Summer Rest Home Association series
Programming and events sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
52
Series
1-5
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-]-[193-], 1953
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 poster
Scope and Content
Of particular interest in this file is a cardboard poster outlining the rest home's schedule and routine, written in Yiddish.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
14
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1917-2011
Physical Description
2.82 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
As early as 1916 the Ezras Noshem Society (a mutual benefit society for Jewish women) started to raise funds to purchase and renovate what would become The Toronto Jewish Old Folks' Home (Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care’s forerunner) after its members recognized the need for a home in Toronto where the Jewish elderly could receive kosher meals and communicate with staff in their own language. Property at 31 Cecil Street was purchased in 1917 and sometime between September 1918 and January 1920 the Home officially opened there. The Home was run by a small staff and the women of Ezras Noshem who volunteered their time to make beds, cook kosher meals, do laundry and sponsor fundraising events. By 1938 the Home had expanded into its neighboring houses at 29, 33, and 35 Cecil Street and was caring for 115 residents. It provided residents with synagogue services, a hospital ward and social activities. At this time the Home also became a member of the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
In 1946, the need for a larger and more modern building prompted a fundraising campaign, which was headed by Abe Posluns, to purchase and build a new facility. In December 1954, the new building opened at 3650 Bathurst Street and consisted of two new institutions: The Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital. This location continued to expand over the years, including a new building for residents in 1968, an apartment building for seniors called the Baycrest Terrace in 1976, and a community centre known as The Joseph E. and Minnie Wagman Centre in 1977. These additions enabled Baycrest to expand its programs to include a day care program, recreational programs, and a Sheltered Workshop which was run in cooperation with the Jewish Vocational Service and provided residents with employment. In 1986 a new Baycrest Hospital was erected, and in 1989, the Rotman Research Institute, which is also affiliated with the University of Toronto, opened to create a research facility where top researchers could study and find new treatment methods for the elderly.
In recent years, Baycrest’s services and programs have continued to expand. In 2000, the Apotex Centre, the Jewish Home for the Aged and the Louis and Leah Posluns Centre for Stroke and Cognition opened to help residents with progressive dementia caused by vascular disorders. In 2001 a condominium building opened at 2 Neptune Drive for seniors, and in 2003 the Sam and Ida Ross Memory Clinic was established to provide out-patient services for seniors with memory disorders. Baycrest Centre also provides numerous cultural and religious programs for the inhabitants and the greater community, including a heritage museum, art exhibits and a Holocaust program.
Custodial History
Records were donated to the OJA in a series of accessions from a variety of sources, including the Baycrest Women's Auxiliary and the Multicultural Historical Society of Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the history, governance, and activities of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, photographs, artifacts, constitutions, publications, press releases, financial records, event invitations, programs, a scrapbook, a poster, lists, theatrical scripts, newspaper clippings, brochures and booklets, flyers, a land deed, certificates, schedules, annual calendars, cards, questionnaires, and lists.
Fonds is arranged into eleven series: 1. Board of Directors and Executive Committee; 2. Annual General Meetings and Annual Reports; 3. Committees and meetings; 4. Women's Auxiliary; 5. Men's Service Group; 6. Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home; 7. Programs and services; 8. Religious services; 9. Fundraising; 10. Publications and publicity; and, 11. Events. Records are described to the file level with some item level descriptions.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 1102 photographs, 4 coins, 2 posters, 1 badge, 1 pin, 1 key chain, 1 postcard, and 1 pen.
Associated material note: related material at Library and Archives Canada includes a small Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds, and the Eric Exton fonds. For architectural records see the Irving D. Boigon fonds 243 at the City of Toronto Archives (Boigon was an architect who designed many of Baycrest's buildings between the 1970s and 1990s). Contact Baycrest Centre's Heritage Museum for committee records from the 1930s, and consult Baycrest's website to access electronic copies of current issues of Baycrest's publications.
Name Access
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care
Baycrest Hospital
Ezras Noshem Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Home for the Aged (Toronto, Ont.)
Jewish Old Folks Home (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Hospitals
Old age homes
Related Material
See Gordon Mendly Fonds 18, series 3-4; Jewish Vocational Services of Toronto fonds 75; United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds 67; accession # 2009-6-2; Dora Till Fonds 52; J. Irving Oelbaum Fonds 24; Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds 61, series 1-1; Gilbert Studios fonds 37; Ben Kayfetz fonds 62, series 3, file 3; JFWB fonds 87, series 6, files 5 and 6; JIAS fonds 9, series 7, file 1; Harold S. Kaplan fonds 27, series 1-4, and Morris Norman fonds 22.
Creator
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, 1917-
Accession Number
1982-11-1
1983-11-2
1988-2-7
1979-9-17
1979-9-23
1987-9-7
2004-5-50
MG 2 O 1A
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
17
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1936-1992
Physical Description
47 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
By 1919 the plight of post-war Eastern European Jewry and the need for a united community voice for Canadian Jewry led to the creation of the Canadian Jewish Congress. Its founding meeting was held on March 16, 1919 in Montreal. Though it briefly maintained a tiny regional office in Toronto, the CJC remained inactive until 1933, when it fully reconvened by opening offices in Winnipeg, Montreal, and Toronto. Egmont L. Frankel was the first President of the new Central Division in Toronto. While the National Office in Montreal focused on the overarching issues of the social and economic rights of European Jewry, assistance for Jewish immigrants, and combating prejudice in Canada, the Toronto office dealt with local violent anti-Jewish demonstrations as well as continuing discrimination both in employment and in access to public recreational facilities. The structure was based on regular national biennial plenary conferences at which policies were delineated and national and regional executives were elected. Between plenary sessions, National and Regional Councils were in charge. These were augmented by the following standing committees: Administrative, Officers, Personnel, Financial, Publications, and Educational and Cultural. Special committees were created to deal with issues such as: youth, community loans, kashruth, fundraising, Israel, Russian Jewry, and various emergency issues such as refugees, immigration, and housing.
During the 1930s the Central Division Office moved several times and occupied offices in the following locations; Yonge St., the Bond St. Synagogue, Scheuer House, the Zionist Building, and its long-term home at 150-152 Beverley Street where it remained until its July, 1983 move to the Lipa Green Building in North York. Its activities expanded to include taking responsibility for Jewish educational standards but, by 1941, its main efforts shifted to support for Canada’s war effort. Immediately after the end of the war, the focus again shifted to Jewish immigration projects and the maintenance of Jewish identity in small communities. By 1950, the CJC’s use of the title “division” was changed to “region” to accommodate internal operational “divisions” within each region. Also, by then, the Central Region was busy expanding its programs for all Ontario Jewish communities, creating a province-wide council of youth groups, and working with the newly-created Bureau of Jewish Education (later Board of Jewish Education, now Mercaz). Standardization of kashruth rules in Ontario was implemented. As well, regular educational conferences and cultural events were held throughout the province, while province-wide fund-raising efforts in support of Moess Chittin for relief projects in Israel and for local Congress activities were expanded. Many of its educational and cultural responsibilities necessitated working with other Jewish organizations such as the United Jewish Welfare Fund, Jewish Immigrant Aid Society (JIAS), Hadassah, the Canadian Legion, B’nai Brith, the World Jewish Congress, the American Jewish Congress, and the many Landsmenshaften (Jewish mutual benefit societies, each formed by immigrants originating from the same Eastern European community).
During the 1960s, the Central Region began sending Moess Chittin relief shipments to Cuban Jews unable to acquire kosher foods for Passover. Its lobbying efforts included participation in the Royal Commissions on Hate Propaganda, and its greatest success came with the introduction and implementation of Ontario’s Fair Employment and Fair Accommodation Practices legislation, an achievement in which Congress played a pivotal role.
From 1971 to 1989 the major focus became international and Canada-wide lobbying for, and providing support to, Soviet Jewry. Virtually all local and Canadian efforts to assist the Soviet Jewish “refusniks” were organized and coordinated in Toronto by the CJC Ontario Region office, which provided staff and funding for the many lobbying activities and public demonstrations which characterized this successful effort.
As of November 1975, the CJC Central Region’s responsibilities in Toronto were radically altered. To improve cost efficiency in Toronto, CJC educational and social service program activities were merged with similar programs already provided by Toronto’s United Jewish Appeal. The UJA assumed sole responsibility for these amalgamated programs in Toronto and was renamed Toronto Jewish Congress. The CJC Central Region still retained province-wide responsibilities for Ontario’s smaller Jewish communities, and its office remained in Toronto. Also, following this reorganization, its name was changed to Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region. Although CJC no longer provided direct social and educational programs to Toronto, the TJC’s senior executive was, at the time, still obliged to continue to keep it notified about developments concerning previous Congress responsibilities.
Since 1983 the Ontario Region’s offices have been, like those of the UJA Federation, located in the Lipa Green Building, 4600 Bathurst St., North York. It continued its work of financially supporting various Israeli institutions and, as well, fostering Canada-Israel relations. It also spearheaded the movement to support and protect Jews in Arab lands, especially in Syria. Funding for the Canadian Jewish Congress now comes from the Canadian Council for Israel and Jewish Advocacy, which redistributes a portion of the funds raised by local Jewish Federations across Canada. The CJC National Office then funds the regional offices. As of 2009, the Ontario Region’s central mandate is to represent the Jewish community to Ontario residents and government on issues of social justice and public policy. Its structure remains the same: an Officers’ group supported by various volunteer committees and a small professional staff together deliberating on regional issues and implementing national policies at the regional level.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the records of the Ontario Region office of the Canadian Jewish Congress. Of primary importance in documenting this organization’s history are its minutes of the Executive and Administrative Committees and the various standing, and short-term committees such as Community Organization, Finance, Fund Raising, Educational and Cultural, Research, Immigration, War Efforts, and Jewish Education. Most of these records are still managed all together within Fonds 17, Series 1. Fonds 17, Series 2 contains the general subject and correspondence files of these committees. Records in both series require further processing.
Records now found in Series 3 document the efforts of the Committee for Soviet Jewry in coordinating the activities of the many Toronto and Ontario organizations involved in assisting Soviet Jewry during the 1971 to 1989 period.
Series 4 consists of administrative and committee records of the United Jewish Refugee and War Relief Agencies in Toronto from 1938 through 1967. These document its work rescuing the survivors of European Jewish communities, settling as many as possible in Ontario, and providing assistance to those attempting to obtain restitution payments.
Series 5 consists of the records of the Community Relations Committee (1938-1976). Responding to depression-era anti-Semitism in Canada, the Canadian Jewish Congress and B’nai Brith together established in 1938 a new joint committee. Since then this Committee has documented racist threats in Canada; initiated advocacy activities to work for improved civil rights; promoted legislation combating hate; worked to ensure equality of access to employment, education and accommodation; and investigated specific incidents of discrimination. The Committee, for example, played a key role in achieving the Anti-Discrimination Act of 1944, and the Fair Employment Practices Act of 1951, key steps leading to Canada’s current Human Rights Code. Although originally named Joint Public Relations Committee in 1938, a series of name changes later occurred; s follows: Joint Community Relations Committee, Central Region (1962-1978), Joint Community Relations Committee, CJC, Ontario Region (ca. 1978-ca. 1991) Community Relations Committee, CJC, Ontario Region (ca. 1991-present) Records in this series were reorganized into 5 sub-series and a further 9 sub-sub-series during the 2009 to 2011 period. For further details please view the database records for Fonds 17, Series 5. Although this series will eventually hold all CRC records up to 1992, only those prior to 1979 are currently fully processed.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 1839 photographs, 89 audio cassettes, 11 videocassettes, 4 drawings, and 6 microfilm reels (16 mm).
Processing note: Processing of this fonds is ongoing. Additional descriptive entries will be added in future.
Name Access
Canadian Jewish Congress. Ontario Region
Subjects
Pressure groups
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the Archivist prior to accessing some of the records
Arrangement
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the Archivist prior to accessing some of the records.
Creator
Canadian Jewish Congress. Ontario Region (1919-2011)
Places
Ontario
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Newsletters and other publications series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Newsletters and other publications series
Level
Series
Fonds
48
Series
7
Material Format
textual record
Date
1951-1975
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
The series consists of newsletters and bulletins published by the BJE as part of its outreach and promotional activities. The intended audiences for these publications were parents, teachers at affiliated schools, and school principals and administrators. The newsletters for teachers are "Likutim : a bulletin for teachers" (1951-1955; in Hebrew and English), and "Teachers' bulletin" (1957-1959). Likutim was intended primarily to keep teachers informed of new developments in pedagogy. Teachers' bulletin contains information on the BJE, its programs and services.
A newsletter specifically aimed at parents was initially titled "Our children" (1954), and then "Home and school" (1954-1963). This newsletter contained articles on Jewish holidays and other aspects of Judaism, news articles on the BJE and Jewish education, and articles on how parents could encourage and be involved in their children's education.
In the 1970s, the BJE published the "Board of Jewish Education newsletter," which contains short articles on current events relating to the BJE and Jewish education, and the services and activities of the BJE.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Name
Fanny (Goldhar) Gertzbein
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
2 October 1984
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Fanny (Goldhar) Gertzbein
Number
AC 033
Subject
Charities
Immigrants--Canada
Interview Date
2 October 1984
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Morris Silbert
Total Running Time
AC 033: 27:34 minutes
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Notes
Fanny often speaks Yiddish with Morris Silbert providing a translation.
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Conditional access. Researchers must receive permission from the interviewee or his/her heir prior to accessing the interview. Please contact the OJA for more information.
Biography
Fanny (Goldhar) Gurtzbein immigrated from Poland to Toronto in 1903. Fanny lived with her parents and siblings in Toronto's "Ward" district. Although raised in poverty Barney, Fanny's brother went on to become a successful furrier and her mother Tzyerl Goldhar became the organizer of the Mothers and Babes Summer Rest Home.
Material Format
sound recording
Language
Yiddish
English
Name Access
Goldhar, Myer
Goldhar, Tzeryl
Goldhar, Barney
Gurtzbein, Fanny
Geographic Access
St. John's Ward
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
G:\Description\Oral Histories\AC 033, Fanny (Goldhar) Gurtzbein\AC 033 transcript.pdf
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Abe Posluns
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
16 Feb. 1988
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Abe Posluns
Number
AC 214
Subject
Baycrest
Interview Date
16 Feb. 1988
Quantity
1
Interviewer
N. Sherman
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Abe Posluns was born in 1908 to Sheindel and Abraham Isaac Posluns. Abe married Elsie Posluns and they had three children. Abe was a financier and was actively involved in the Toronto Jewish community. In 1946, he headed the fundraising campaign to purchase land and build a new facility to accommodate the Toronto Jewish Old Folks' Home (Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care’s forerunner). Throughout the course of his career, he was President of the United Community Fund of Greater Toronto, President of the Jewish Home for the Aged, President of Baycrest Hospital, Honorary Vice-President for United Jewish Welfare Fund, Director and Executive of New Mount Sinai Hospital, Director of YW-YMHA, Director of Canadian Welfare Council, and he was also a member of B'nai B'rith, Primrose Club, and the Oakdale Golf and Country Club.
Material Format
sound recording
Language
English
Name Access
Posluns, Abe
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Source
Oral Histories
Part Of
Toronto Cloakmakers Union fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Toronto Cloakmakers Union fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
8
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
[190-?]-1961
Physical Description
7 cm of textual records
5 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Toronto Cloakmakers Union was established in 1909 as an organized effort to assist and protect workers in the women's garment industry. Two years later they became affiliated with the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union (I.L.G.W.U.) in Toronto and became Local 14. Today they are the oldest local still in existence and are now called Unite Here Canada.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of textual and graphic material documenting the activities and membership of the Toronto Cloakmakers Union and International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union. Included are I.L.G.W.U. membership dues and strike cards issued to Sara Clodman; letters and cards announcing I.L.G.W.U. meetings, celebrations, and other matters; an invitation to a dinner honouring A. Magerman's 25 years in the Cloakmaker's Union; copies of the Golden Jubilee Souvenir Journal and the 40th Jubilee Celebration book; a photocopy of the Constitution of the I.L.G.W.U.; Toronto Cloakmakers Union Local 14 Minute Book in Yiddish; and five black and white photographs of union members, events, and committees.
Name Access
Toronto Cloakmakers Union
Subjects
Labor unions
Creator
Toronto Cloakmakers Union, 1909-
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1987-12-6
1979-10-1
1998-3-18
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Maurice Solway fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 13; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Maurice Solway fonds
Level
File
Fonds
13
File
6
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1974-1985
Physical Description
1 videocassette (ca. 25 min.) : duplicate, col. VHS and other material
Admin History/Bio
"The Violin" was a short film by Andrew Welsh and George Pastic, released in 1974, and featuring Maurice Solway as the old man. The producers approached Maurice Solway about being in their film while making initial casting inquiries among Solway's students in regard to the children’s roles in the film. Eventually, they persuaded Solway to star in the film, shot on Ward Island, Toronto, in 1972 and 1973. Solway also wrote the original music and became the film's principle promoter, speaking in schools and at screenings of the film. The film promotes peace and understanding through the power of music and the exchange of knowledge and friendship between the old and the young. In 1975 it was nominated for an Academy Award. The spin-off book was published in 1976. Solway, with the managerial assistance of his wife, Anne, took on the role of promoting the film and saw it as his crowning achievement, the expression of what he wanted to be remembered for, after a career in music and education. The film was made for $25,000 and eventually grossed over $700,000. It was broadcast frequently on CBC in Canada, and CBS in the United States. It was even given a special screening for the 1976 Olympic Games in Montreal.
Scope and Content
This file includes a VHS copy of the original short video of "The Violin" , the accompanying book, correspondence, and promotional materials related to Maurice Solway's speaking tours in promotion of the film. These materials include a picture postcard and numerous posters and programmes for specific speaking and performance engagements associated with the release and screenings of the film. Also included are two hand-coloured children's illustrations of violins with accompanying letters to Solway, from children who had seen the film and wrote to express their appreciation. "The violin: a children's story" (McGraw-Hill: 1976) also uses stills from the film. The text was written by Robert Thomas Allen, from the story by Pastic and Welsh. Solway's score for the film is reproduced in the back of the children's book.
Notes
Includes 1 videocassette (VHS), 1 v. of text, 1 folder of textual records, and 3 graphic images (2 illustrations, 1 picture postcard).
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Lipa Green fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 20
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Lipa Green fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
20
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
[190-]-1979
Physical Description
42 cm of textual records
69 photographs : b&w and sepia (23 negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Lipa (Louis) Green (1899-1976) was born on 15 April 1899 in Usupow, Poland. He immigrated to Toronto in 1910 and later began work as a bricklayer. In 1924, Lipa married Fanny Green and had three sons: Abraham (Al), Harold and Sam; and three daughters: Deana (Weiman), Rookie (Goldstein), and Shavy (Tishler). In 1948, with partner, Arthur Weinstock, he founded the Greenview Construction Company, later to be renamed Greenwin. Green's sons, Al and Harold, along with Weinstock's son-in-law Al Latner, later became involved in the business.
Green was a prominent Jewish communal leader and philanthropist in Toronto and was affiliated with organizations such as the Labor Zionists (Farband), the Jewish Vocational Service and the Jewish Public Library. He was a strong advocate of the Yiddish language and was involved with many Yiddish committees, both at the local and national levels. The current building for Jewish agencies in Toronto is named the Lipa Green Building for Jewish Community Services.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of Lipa's son Harold, before being donated to the OJA in January 1978.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of records documenting Lipa Green's personal life as well as his professional and philanthropic endeavours. Included are financial documents, event invitations and programs, meeting minutes, photographs, personal, business and organizational correspondence, speeches and writings, a scrapbook, records on a cooperative Jewish summer resort near Pickering, Ontario, as well as some material produced by other organizations and collected by Green during the course of his life. Most of the personal correspondence, speeches and other writings are in Yiddish, including Green's reminiscences on his life in Poland and his Bar Mitzvah. The files have been grouped according to personal records, business records, organizational records and ephemera.
Name Access
Green, Lipa, 1899-1976
Subjects
Businesspeople
Immigrants--Canada
Philanthropists
Physical Condition
Some of the photographs are in very poor condition and require conservation work.
Related Material
See Gordon Mendly Fonds 18 for a portrait of Lipa Green.
Arrangement
The records had been previously arranged as MG6 A. Many of the files were kept or combined, but several new files were also created to better reflect the records in the fonds. Several files were also culled as they did not relate to the mandate of the OJA. See the accession record for further information on the culled materials.
Creator
Green, Lipa, 1899-1976
Accession Number
1978-1-4
2004-5-150
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Collection
ID
Fonds 22
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Collection
Fonds
22
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1856-1995
Physical Description
1.1 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Morris Norman (b. 1946) is a chartered accountant living and working in Toronto. He is an avid collector of Canadiana, specifically Judaica. He purchases lots at auction and donates them to the Ontario Jewish Archives, as well as other institutions.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of the individual items collected at auction by Morris Norman. The records relate to the Toronto Jewish community and Ontario Jewry and include textual documents, photographs, near-prints, publications, artifacts, posters and broadsheets, sound recordings, and ephemera. Most of the items relate to various Jewish organizations, businesses, synagogues and individuals, and to Christian missionary work in Toronto. The material has been described at the file level, or where appropriate, the item level.
There are also four distinct series of records which document Berul Sugarman, who was a concert violinist and orchestral leader; the Franklin family, who owned a large amount of property in Toronto in the late 1800s and early 1900s; radio and television scripts written by Wayne and Shuster, Henry Karpus and Russell Bradley; and a collection of Turofsky photographs.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 49 objects, 25 photographs, 7 audio recordings and 4 prints.
Name Access
Norman, Morris
Norman, Jessie
Creator
Norman, Morris (1946-)
Accession Number
1995-9-3
1995-9-4
1995-9-8
1996-6-3
1996-7-3
1996-9-1
1997-7-1
1998-1-1
1998-3-44
1998-7-2
1999-10-1
2000-7-4
2000-12-3
2001-3-3
2001-4-3
2001-8-5
2001-10-6
2001-11-1
2002-4-1
2002-5-1
2002-7-1
2002-9-1
2002-10-5
2002-10-58
2002-12-3
2003-5-3
2003-10-6
2004-7-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Dual Allegiance series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 2; Series 6; File 84
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Dual Allegiance series
Level
File
Fonds
2
Series
6
File
84
Material Format
textual record
Date
1976-1996
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence and clippings related to Dual Allegiance. Much of the correspondence, from people such as Irene Aspin, Thomas Hockin, Gerry Lynch, and Meyer Weisgal, comments on Dunkelman's autobiography.
Physical Condition
Some records are fragile.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Speeches series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 2; Series 7; File 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Speeches series
Level
File
Fonds
2
Series
7
File
16
Material Format
textual record
Date
1977-1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of certificates, correspondence, clippings, a brochure and notes in connection with Ben Dunkelman's speech in Buffalo, NY, for the Zionist Organization of America. The notes include a hand-drawn map.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Dual Allegiance series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 2; Series 6; File 54
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Dual Allegiance series
Level
File
Fonds
2
Series
6
File
54
Material Format
textual record
Date
1956-1969
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence and notes in connection with the possibility of Ma'arachot, the publishing house of the Israel Defence Forces, publishing a Hebrew translation of Ben Dunkelman's autobiography.
Physical Condition
Some records are fragile.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Second World War series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 2; Series 4; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Second World War series
Level
File
Fonds
2
Series
4
File
12
Material Format
textual record
Date
1987
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains correspondence and clippings in connection with the Canadian Jewish Congress and its attempt to bring Second World War Nazi war criminals to justice. Some items refer to the Deschenes Inquiry, former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, and former Governor General Ray Hnatyshyn. Ben Dunkelman assisted the CJC in persuading the federal government to track down Nazi war criminals.
Name Access
Mulroney, Brian, 1939-
Subjects
War crimes
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Dual Allegiance series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 2; Series 6; File 65
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Dual Allegiance series
Level
File
Fonds
2
Series
6
File
65
Material Format
textual record
Date
1977
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence between Ben Dunkelman and both Ronny Rabinowitch and Yossi Yahal. The letters, three in total, relate to the recent publication of Dunkelman's autobiography, Dual Allegiance, to its reception in Israel, and to scheduled interviews with Dunkelman.
Physical Condition
Records are in good condition but fragile.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Zionist Organization of Canada fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 28; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Zionist Organization of Canada fonds
Level
File
Fonds
28
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1958
Physical Description
1 scrapbook : 47 x 31 cm.
Scope and Content
File consists of 1 scrapbook containing newspaper and magazine clippings, invitations, correspondence, telegrams, and advertisements about the various celebrations in Canada of the tenth anniversary of the founding of the State of Israel.
Subjects
Israel--Anniversaries, etc
Scrapbooks
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Board of Jewish Education series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 95; Series 1; File 28
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Board of Jewish Education series
Level
File
Fonds
95
Series
1
File
28
Material Format
textual record
Date
[1973?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a booklet entitled, "How did Heroes Die" commemorating the life of Meir Vise, a Toronto Jew who fought and died in the Yom Kippur war.
Subjects
Israel-Arab War, 1973
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Life cycle and family events sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-5; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Life cycle and family events sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
1-5
File
3
Material Format
textual record
Date
1951-1952
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of textual records documenting the marriage of Sol Edell and Dolly Weinstock. Included are invitations, a list of people invited to the bridal shower, a greeting card, a bencher, and a scrapbook containing telegrams from well-wishers.
Subjects
Weddings
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Life cycle and family events sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-5; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Life cycle and family events sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
1-5
File
5
Material Format
textual record
Date
[ca. 1950]-[ca. 1961]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of newspaper clippings documenting the activities of the Edell family. Included are articles regarding Clanton Park Synagogue, Belle Ewart, and Oshawa's B'nai Brith Lodge. Also included is a death notice for Malka Edell.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Religious sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-6; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Religious sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
1-6
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1963-1997
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of dues and donation receipts.
Name Access
Shomrai Shabbos
Adas Israel Congregation (Hamilton, Ont.)
Clanton Park Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 8; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
8
File
1
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1965-1968, 1992
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 architectural drawings : brownline prints, hand col. ; 69 x 95 cm and 36 x 47 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence, notes, and site plans documenting various projects to build housing for new immigrants making Aliyah.
Physical Condition
Architectural drawings should be stored flat. One drawing has tears in it and looks like it has a section missing.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 8; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
8
File
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
[ca. 1983]-1989
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence, a speech, and two issues of the Directory of Toronto Olim. Also included is a phone directory created by Simcha Edell and Avraham Weiss of the Jewish people living in Mitzpeh Nevo.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11; File 47
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
11
File
47
Material Format
textual record
Date
1975-1999
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of newsletters.
Name Access
Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot
Ulpanot Orot Girls' School
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11; File 65
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
11
File
65
Material Format
textual record
Date
[ca. 1990]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a programme for a Yom Ha'atzmaut service.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11; File 70
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
11
File
70
Material Format
textual record
Date
1971-1999
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence and bulletins received by Sol Edell from a variety of Zionist organizations, including: Teens for Israel, Canadian Technion Society (Toronto Chapter), Canadian Friends of the Yeshivot Hesder, Canadian Magen David Adom for Israel, and the Canadian Society for the Weizmann Institute of Science.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11; File 100
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
11
File
100
Material Format
textual record
Date
1983-1997
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of invitations, correspondence, a programme, and a 100th anniversary book.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11; File 101
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
11
File
101
Material Format
textual record
Date
1971-1984
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of invitations and programmes.
Name Access
Congregation B'nai Torah (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11; File 102
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
11
File
102
Material Format
textual record
Date
Jan. 1972
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a dedication ceremony invitation.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11; File 103
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
11
File
103
Material Format
textual record
Date
[19-]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a booklet containing a memorial service for the departed and Mourner's Kaddish.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
B'nai Brith Youth Organization, Lake Ontario Region fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 98
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
B'nai Brith Youth Organization, Lake Ontario Region fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
98
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
sound recording
Date
1932-2001, predominant 1990-1996
Physical Description
86 cm of textual records
ca. 300 photographs
2 wire recordings
Admin History/Bio
In accordance with the mandate and ideals of the International B'nai Brith Youth Organization (BBYO), the Lake Ontario Region (LOR) is dedicated to helping Jewish youth understand their history and culture while developing leadership skills through various activities and community service programs. BBYO was first introduced in Ontario as early as the 1920s but LOR was not officially established until after the Second World War. In 1929 the B'nai Brith Toronto Lodge sponsored the first youth chapter with 35 young men as bearers. Membership steadily grew overtime and new chapters began opening throughout the province. By the end of the Second World War, the rapid growth of new lodges and chapters resulted in the formal creation of the Southern Ontario Region (SOR), LOR's precursor. SOR included chapters in Toronto, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Guelph and Peterborough. By the 1990s, its name had changed to LOR and chapters from Buffalo, Rochester and Upstate New York were added to its jurisdiction.
LOR is organized into a series of chapters comprised of AZA (Aleph Zadik Aleph) for boys and BBG (B'nai Brith Girls) for girls with a focus on teens from grades 8-12. Chapters are supervised by an adult board and are youth-led. Members are democratically elected to office by their peers and have control over planning and organizing programs which include dances, sports activities, festivals, fundraisers, group discussions, community services, trips abroad and weekend conventions with other BBYO members. Summer camp programs are also offered with the goal of building interpersonal and leadership skills. LOR remains faithful to its original purpose of providing learning experiences for its youth and instilling within them the desire to contribute to their communities as confident and responsible adults.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the activities and programs of the B'nai Brith Youth Organization Lake Ontario Region. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, correspondence, reports and evaluations, constitutions and by-laws, policies, financial records, membership statistics, brochures and booklets, scholarship and award applications, manuals, grant requests, photographs, scrapbooks, event invitations,newspaper clippings, programs, lists, publications, and flyers. Records such as statistics and by-laws also document the Laurentian Region, Red River Region, North Star Region, Evergreen Region and Northwest Canada Region.
Fonds is arranged into sixteen series: 1. BBYO Canada; 2. Regional Board of Directors; 3. Administration; 4. Relations; 5. Correspondence; 6. Reports and Evaluations; 7. Financial Accounts; 8. BBYO Youth Groups; 9. Chapter Advisors; 10. Chapters; 11. Membership; 12. Fundraising; 13. Scholarships and Awards; 14. Programs and Events; 15. Published Material; and 16. Photographs. There are two files attached to the fonds level.
Notes
Associated material note: additional material can be found in the B'nai Brith Canada fonds at Library and Archives Canada.
Name Access
B’nai Brith Youth Organization. Lake Ontario Region
Subjects
Youth movements
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Scrapbooks are in fragile condition with loose material inside. Some photographs are ripped, torn, and/or faded. The wire recordings need to be reveiwed and, if the contents are usable, digitized.
Creator
B'nai Brith Youth Organization, Lake Ontario Region
Places
Ontario
Accession Number
1977-7-4
2005-9-8
2006-3-10
2007-6-5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
File
ID
Fonds 34; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
File
Fonds
34
File
5
Material Format
textual record
Date
1954
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a Pride of Israel Sick Benefit Society meeting notice for January 31, 1954, and an envelope addressed to Mrs. Sobel of 15 Page Street, Toronto.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
General office subject and correspondence files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 17; Series 2; File 951
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
General office subject and correspondence files series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
2
File
951
Material Format
textual record
Date
[195-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a six page typescript of a speech given by the Rt. Hon. Vincent Massey, Governor-General of Canada to members of the Canadian Jewish Congress, to which is appended typed excerpts of stories and songs in English and Yiddish of early Canadian Jewish immigrants.
Accession Number
2005-2-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
General office subject and correspondence files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 17; Series 2; File 1288
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
General office subject and correspondence files series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
2
File
1288
Material Format
textual record
Date
1996
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Accession Number
2005-2-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 6026
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
6026
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1941
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 21 x 26 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the 1920s, Camp Yungvelt was originally situated on Lake Wilcox. It later moved to Pickering, where it operated until it closed in the 1950s. It was established by the Workmen's Circle (Arbeiter Ring), as a Yiddish summer camp for Jewish children. Camp Yungvelt was known for accepting the children of poor immigrants for a small fraction of the regular fee.
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of the staff at Camp Yungvelt, located in Pickering, Ontario. Identified individuals include: Bunny Bergstein, Phil Chasin, Bryna Minachovsky (Mann), Helen Lomage, Bertha Goldenthal, Israel Gang, Mr. Barzilei, Mr. Goldman, Manny Farber, Arthur Lerner, Mr. Altman, Lou Herman, Mr. Riba, Mrs. Barzilei, and Sadie Sherman.
Notes
See accession record for position of identified individuals.
Name Access
Altman, Mr.
Barzilei, Mr.
Barzilei, Mrs.
Bergstein, Bunny
Camp Yungvelt
Chasin, Phil
Farber, Manny
Gang, Israel
Goldenthal, Bertha
Goldman, Mr.
Herman, Lou
Lerner, Arthur
Lomage, Helen
Mann, Bryna
Minachovsky, Bryna
Riba, Mr.
Sherman, Sadie
Subjects
Camps
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Accession Number
1991-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 6027
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
6027
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1942
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 21 x 26 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the 1920s, Camp Yungvelt was originally situated on Lake Wilcox. It later moved to Pickering, where it operated until it closed in the 1950s. It was established by the Workmen's Circle (Arbeiter Ring), as a Yiddish summer camp for Jewish children. Camp Yungvelt was known for accepting the children of poor immigrants for a small fraction of the regular fee.
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of the staff at Camp Yungvelt, located in Pickering, Ontario. Pictured are:
Back row, left to right: J. Abramovitch, Chuck Lestin, Hal Grossman, Helen Lomage, Dave Ritz, John Lomage, Harry [?], Andrew [?], Steve [?].
Fifth row, left to right: D. Lerner, S. Gordener, Chana Goldberg, Percy Lipshitz, Babe Bronstein, Bea Goldman, Berny Wolinsky, Eleanor Smith, Bunny Bergstein, Goldie Grennis, [unidentified], Chonon Fine, Mrs. Mark, Mr. Mark.
Fourth row, left to right: Red Silvers, Mona Gurland, Muni Frumhartz, Bertha Goldenthal, Mr. Brick, Ms. Abkin, Ms. Glazer, Ms. Langbord, [unidentified], Mrs. Niewtkewitcz, Mrs. Niewtkewitcz.
Third row, left to right: Ms. Silverhart, Sonia Olin, Lou Herman.
Second row, left to right: Mr. Riba, Israel Gang, Philip Chasin, Mr. Nodelman, Mr. Abramovitch, Mr. Frumhartz, Mr. Danielak, Mr. Langbord, Esther Levine, Mr. Orenstein.
Front row, left to right: Chasha (Raina) Fishman, Ruth Price, Devy Abkin, Ethel Press, May Hoffman, Eleanor Tolub, Ruth Schwartz, Mitty Krieg.
Notes
See photo for numbered position of identified individuals.
Name Access
Abkin, Devy
Abkin, Ms.
Abramovitch, J.
Abramovitch, Mr.
Andrew
Bergstein, Bunny
Brick, Mr.
Bronstein, Babe
Camp Yungvelt
Danielak, Mr.
Fine, Chonon
Fishman, Chasha
Fishman, Raina
Frumhartz, Mr.
Frumhartz, Muni
Glazer, Ms.
Goldberg, Chana
Goldenthal, Bertha
Goldman, Bea
Gordener, S.
Grennis, Goldie
Grossman, Hal
Gurland, Mona
Harry
Hoffman, May
Krieg, Mitty
Langboard, Mr.
Langboard, Ms.
Lerner, D.
Lestin, Chuck
Levine, Esther
Lipshitz, Percy
Lomage, Helen
Lomage, John
Mark, Mr.
Mark, Mrs.
Niewtkewitcz, Mr.
Niewtkewitcz, Mrs.
Orenstein, Mr.
Press, Ethel
Price, Ruth
Ritz, Dave
Schwartz, Ruth
Silvers, Red
Smith, Eleanor
Steve
Tolub, Eleanor
Wolinsky, Berny
Subjects
Camps
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Accession Number
1991-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
United Jewish Relief Agencies, Toronto (UJRA) series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 17; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
United Jewish Relief Agencies, Toronto (UJRA) series
Level
Series
Fonds
17
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
Date
1938-1974
Physical Description
6 m of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The United Jewish Refugee and War Relief Agencies (UJR&WRA) was formed on October 26, 1939 with the assistance of Samuel Bronfman. It was spurred by the persecution of Jews in Europe. In 1938 Canadian Jewish Congress had formed the Canadian Coordinating Committee for Refugees. This committee was extended in 1939 to form the UJR&WRA, joining with the Canadian Organization for Rehabilitation through Training (ORT Federation), the Federation of Polish Jews, the Jewish Peoples’ Relief Committee, and the Joint Distribution Committee. The UJR&WRA facilitated the entry into Canada of as many refugees as possible and provided assistance to those admitted. After the war came a massive effort to assist the millions of Displaced Persons in Europe, as the UJR&WRA provided food, medical care and rehabilitation services and assisted people emigrating to Israel and Canada. Following the war, the name of the organization was changed to the United Jewish Relief Agencies (UJRA).
The UJRA operated as “an arm of Congress,” sharing a President and Director, submitting its budget to Congress’s Executive Committee, yet remaining an autonomous arms-length agency since its function was to oversee organizations rather than carry out the actual work, as other Congress committees did. Its role in the 1940s and 1950s was to coordinate the myriad agencies in Ontario involved in immigrant assistance, including the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society, Jewish Vocational Service, Jewish Child and Family Service, Mothers and Babes Rest Home, Young Men’s Hebrew Association, and United Restitution Organization. Though many of its committees were temporary in nature, others, such as the Loan Committee (whose cases were later taken over by the Toronto Jewish Free Loan Cassa), evolved into bodies that are now independent of Congress but continue to carry out their functions.
In 1967 the UJRA was incorporated with recognized status as a charitable organization whose main purpose was relief of poverty. By this time the organization's aid activities in Israel were extensive, including support for homes for the aged, technical and vocational training for newcomers, and hospitals. In Canada, UJRA continued to provide assistance to new immigrants, including the continuing loan program. A national Board of Directors worked in tandem with a committee of Canadians in Israel to manage, control and supervise the UJRA's activities and projects. Today the UJRA of Canada still exists, though its scope and duties have lessened over the decades.
Scope and Content
Series consists of administrative and committee records of the United Jewish Relief Agencies in Toronto, spanning the years 1938 through 1974. Records include minutes, correspondence, reports, case files, agendas, notices of meetings, subject files, lists, and administrative forms. The series is arranged into 12 sub-series: 1-CJC Committee for Refugees (the precursor to UJRA); 2-Executive Committee; 3-Administrative and subject files; 4-Administrative committees; 5-Housing Committee; 6-Loan Committee; 7-European Youth Scholarship Committee; 8-Collections Committee; 9-Committee on Deportations; 10-Restitution Claims Committee; 11-Refugee case files; and 12-Immigration and Location Service case files.
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Arrangement
The series has been re-arranged by the archivist from former Record Groups 201, 286, 292, 293, 294, 295 and 296.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
United Jewish Relief Agencies (UJRA) series
Immigration and Location Service case files sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
17
Series
4-12
Material Format
textual record
Date
1941-1951, predominant 1947-1949
Physical Description
96 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Sub-series contains communication case files on immigrants and their sponsors, maintained by the Immigration and Location Service of UJRA. The files date from 1941 to 1951, but most were created in the years right after the war. The records document the interaction between social services agencies and sponsors in the process of locating missing relatives and facilitating the immigration to Canada of known relatives. Records include incoming and outgoing letters, memoranda and telegrams exchanged between the UJRA, sponsoring individuals in Ontario, and Jewish aid organizations such as: the American Joint Distribution Committee in its various European centres; the United Service for New Americans in the United States; the World Jewish Congress; and others. They reflect the administrative process of being a sponsor. Sponsors agreed to keep and support their relatives upon their arrival, but some letters reflect their reluctance, or inability, to provide any aid beyond that. For a short time in 1947, Displaced Persons were admitted regardless of their relationship to their sponsor, but beginning in September 1947, permits were limited to first-degree relatives only. Having employment lined up in Canada was only sufficient where special projects existed: for farmers, miners, lumbermen and D.P.s in camps in Germany and Austria.
Some thicker files document transactions over a period of time; some contain forms such as the letter of authorization granted by the American Joint Distribution Committee; and some letters outline the case history of immigrants, telling their story. The majority of files, however, have just one or two letters dealing with the common administrative activities of the UJRA: dealing with the entrance of relatives, in terms of asking an individual to be a sponsor, passing along messages from the Joint Distribution Committee overseas, or being a go-between to locate sponsors and give them information and instructions. Many letters pertain to the requirement that sponsors pay the travel expenses of their immigrating relatives, or pay for administrative fees for the application process. UJRA in Canada also helped the United Service for New Americans in New York City to locate refugees or those who moved to Canada after their arrival.
The files in this sub-subseries are arranged as they were by UJRA, in alphabetical order by sponsor surname.
Notes
This sub-series is composed of former RG 294, which was separated into case files and administrative files.
Access Restriction
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing the records.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Affiliated organizations sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 17; Series 3-4; File 22
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Affiliated organizations sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-4
File
22
Material Format
textual record
Date
1978-1983
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File contains minutes of several meetings, along with accompanying petitions and correspondence related to the action of seeking the release of psychiatric professionals in the Soviet Union. Also included are two postcards addressed to R.A. Rudenko, bearing the images of arrested Soviet citizens. One is written in Russian text. The rest of the file is comprised of correspondence, meeting notices and a facsimile of an article titled "The Fear of Freedom: Decompensation of a Psychological State or a Phenomenon of Existence" by Dr. Semyon Gluzman written in 1978.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Affiliated organizations sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 17; Series 3-4; File 24
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Committee for Soviet Jewry series
Affiliated organizations sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
3-4
File
24
Material Format
textual record
Date
1985-1987
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File includes meeting minutes and related meeting notices, press literature, membership contact lists and campaign letters.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4042
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4042
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1927
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Subjects
Balls (Parties)
Fruit
Posters
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1986-3-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Mayor series
Certificates and awards sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 4-7; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
City of Toronto Mayor series
Certificates and awards sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
4-7
File
5
Material Format
textual record
Date
1966, 1968
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of various certificated that were awarded to Phil Givens either during his mayoralship or in recognition of his services as Mayor. Included is a Municipality of Metropolitan certificate, an honorary membership to the St. George's Society of Toronto, and a Gold Cross of Honour certificate from the Government of Poland.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Legal career series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 51; Series 8; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Legal career series
Level
File
Fonds
51
Series
8
File
3
Material Format
textual record
Date
[195-], 1976-1984
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence and other textual records documenting Judge Phil Givens’ activities. Included are letters of reference for other judges, correspondence regarding the execution of wills and land ownership claims, and a master case file list.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 89
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
89
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Date
1911-1971, predominant 1911-1935
Physical Description
6 cm of textual records
17 photographs
Admin History/Bio
Isaac Matenko (1874-1960) was a founder, teacher, and principal of the I.L. Peretz School. He worked tirelessly to preserve and promote secular Jewish culture and the Yiddish language in Toronto. He was also a prominent member of local Jewish organizations, such as the Socialist-Territorialist Club and the Yiddish Kultur Gesellshaft.
Isaac was born on February 1, 1874 in the town of Makarov, Kiev, Ukraine. He married Elke Yelia Moshkevitch (1878- November 19, 1953) on August 4, 1900 in Yakatreneslav. They immigrated from Czarist Russia to Toronto in 1906, passing first through New York with their two children, Percy (June 30, 1901-May 1987) and Theodore (1903-1906, died of measles at Ellis Island), Yelia’s three sisters, Dvora, Bracha, and Celia, and Isaac’s younger half-brother, Paul Frumhartz. They had two more children after arriving: Abraham (August 14, 1908-October 24, 1989) and Shoshana (Sue) (1911-2001). Although he had been a teacher in Russia, Isaac worked as an operator in a cloak factory in Toronto, where he was instrumental in forming the union (likely the Cloakmakers’ Union of Toronto, which later affiliated with the International Ladies’ Garment Workers’ Union).
As a child, Isaac received a traditional Jewish education. This, combined with his self-taught secular education and the teachings of Yiddish Nationalist Dr. Chaim Zhitlovski, informed his future career and philosophies. He was described as an idealist by his friends, whose dedication to Yiddish culture and language motivated him to bring this knowledge to a younger generation.
On July 11, 1911, Isaac and his fellow Socialist-Territorialist members established the Toronto Yiddish National-Radical School. By 1916, it had been taken over by the Workmen’s Circle and renamed the I.L. Peretz School, after the well-known Yiddish author and playwright. The school began in a rented room at the Zionist Institute on Simcoe St., moving to larger locations on Richmond St. W., then Beverley St. as it grew. Eventually, several more branches opened, such as the Maria St. school that Isaac was affiliated with. He taught at the school for free in the evenings after working during the day in a shop. His brother Paul was also a founding teacher at the school.
Isaac was described by family, friends, and community members as a passionate teacher with an iron will: he was well-versed in Jewish knowledge, with a desire to pass it on to a younger generation and his fellow union members. He remained involved in the school and in teaching, even after retirement. He died on June 2, 1960 at the age of 86.
Custodial History
These records were donated to the OJA by Sue Levy, daughter of Isaac Matenko.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting Isaac Matenko's involvement with the Workmen's Circle and other Jewish organizations. Included are photographs, programmes, certificates, I.L. Peretz School jubilee books, a songbook, a yearbook, articles, and newsclippings.
Fonds has been arranged into one series for the Workmen's Circle. There are also two files attached to the fonds-level. The records are described at the series and file-level, with some item-level descriptions.
Name Access
Arbeiter Ring
Arbeiter Ring Schools
Arbeter Ring
Camp Yungvelt
Frumhartz, Paul
I.L. Peretz
Matenko, Isaac, 1874-1960
Matenko, Percy
National Radical School
Peretz Shule
Workman's Circle
Workmen's Circle
Subjects
Schools
Teachers
Yiddish language
Related Material
For additional Workmen's Circle records, see: accessions 1979-4-4, 1980-2-2, 1983-6-3, 1984-10-1, 1986-4-1, 1992-1-2, 1997-2-1, 1998-3-32, 2004-5-41, 2004-5-105, and fonds 30.
For additional Camp Yungvelt records, see: accessions 1979-4-4, 1986-4-1, 1991-12-4, 1993-6-6, 1999-5-1, 2004-5-37, 2005-6-4, 2006-12-3, photographs # 2964, # 4014, # 6021, MG2N1K, Benjamin Brown fonds 49, and Dorothy Dworkin Fonds 10 (item 14).
Creator
Matenko, Isaac, 1874-1960
Accession Number
1987-11-4
1991-4-2
2007-5-3
2007-6-28
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 89; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Level
File
Fonds
89
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
12 May 1960-16 July 1961
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of biographical sketches of Isaac Matenko. The bulk of these sketches were written just after Isaac's death in 1960 and were originally published in various newspapers, including; The Vochenblat, Der Yiddisher Zhurnal, and On the Threshold. The Yiddish articles are accompanied by English translations.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 89; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Level
File
Fonds
89
File
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1911-1935
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w ; 19 x 24 cm mounted on board 30 x 35 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of photographs documenting Isaac Matenko's involvement with the Socialist-Territorialist Club and the Yiddish Kultur Gesellshaft.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Workmen's Circle series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 89; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Workmen's Circle series
Level
Series
Fonds
89
Series
1
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Date
1911-1971
Physical Description
5 folders of textual records
13 photographs : b&w ; 19 x 23 cm mounted on board 30 x 34 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Workmen's Circle (Arbeiter Ring) is a radical left Jewish fraternal organization founded in 1900. It was originally established to protect the rights of Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe who were entering the North American labour force. The Workmen's Circle's main purpose was to promote the labour movement and ensure economic justice for its members. It also promoted secular Yiddish culture, and ran many schools and summer camps across North America, such as Camp Yungvelt in Pickering.
The I.L. Peretz School began as the Toronto Yiddish National-Radical School in 1911. It was founded by Socialist-Territorialist members Isaac Matenko, Abraham Rhinewine, Paul Frumhartz, Aaron Bromberg, H. Rigelhaupt, L. Goldman, and Louis Koldovsky in order to promote Yiddish culture and language. By 1916, it had been taken over by the Workmen’s Circle and renamed the I.L. Peretz School. The founders overcame many obstacles to establish the school, including opposition from religious groups (which preferred Hebrew over Yiddish); a lack of support from the Jewish community; and a serious lack of funds.
The school began in a rented room in the Zionist Institute on Simcoe St., with about forty students. By the following school year, the number had increased to 330, due to cheap tuition and a good reputation. The growing number of students necessitated several moves to larger spaces, among them 260 Richmond St. W. and 194 Beverley St. Later, other branches and other levels (kindergarten to mittelshul) were established on Maria St., Bellwoods Ave., and St. Clair Ave. The school flourished for about 50 years before its decline and ultimate closure.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Isaac Matenko's involvement in the Workmen's Circle and the affiliated I.L. Peretz School and Camp Yungvelt. Included are photographs, programmes, certificates, a yearbook, a songbook, and newsclippings.
Name Access
Arbeòter-ring Y.L. Perets-Shuln
Workmen's Circle (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Workmen's Circle series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 89; Series 1; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Workmen's Circle series
Level
File
Fonds
89
Series
1
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
16 Oct. 1936, 17 Oct. 1971
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of two programmes commemorating the 25th and 60th jubilees of the I.L. Peretz School.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Workmen's Circle series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 89; Series 1; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Workmen's Circle series
Level
File
Fonds
89
Series
1
File
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1926, Mar. 1928
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of an I.L. Peretz School graduation certificate (class of 1926) and graduation yearbook (class of 1928).
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Workmen's Circle series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 89; Series 1; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Isaac Matenko fonds
Workmen's Circle series
Level
File
Fonds
89
Series
1
File
5
Material Format
textual record
Date
Apr. 1955
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of newsclippings and a programme book commemmorating Matenko's 80th birthday celebration, organized for him by the Workmen's Circle Peretz Schools. Also included are English translations for some of the articles published in the programme book.
Source
Archival Descriptions
4648 records – page 1 of 93.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content