The Toronto Cloakmakers Union was established in 1909 as an organized effort to assist and protect workers in the women's garment industry. Two years later they became affiliated with the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union (ILGWU) in Toronto and became Local 14. Today they are the oldest local still in existence and are now called Unite Here Canada.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of textual and graphic material documenting the activities and membership of the Toronto Cloakmakers Union and International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union. Included are ILGWU membership dues and strike cards issued to Sara Clodman; letters and cards announcing ILGWU meetings, celebrations, and other matters; an invitation to a dinner honouring A. Magerman's 25 years in the Cloakmaker's Union; copies of the Golden Jubilee Souvenir Journal and the 40th Jubilee Celebration book; a photocopy of the Constitution of the ILGWU; Toronto Cloakmakers Union Local 14 Minute Book in Yiddish; and five black and white photographs of union members, events, and committees.
Accession consists of material documenting the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union. Included are undated strike cards, a card announcing the twenty-fifth annual celebration of the Cloakmakers' Union dated 14 February 1936–16 February 1936, letters, general manager of the joint board announcing summons before grievance committee, official membership dues cards issued to S. Clodman, a souvenir journa, and other documents.
This accession consists of material relating to the International Ladies Garment Workers Union (ILGWU) and the Jewish community in Toronto. They include published material from the ILGWU, Yiddish songbooks and benchers, Yiddish booklets distributed by various Toronto Jewish organizations such as the Poalei Zion and the Farband, a pin from Baycrest given to Jennie Magerman on completing 14, 000 hours of volunteer service, a pin from the Kieltzer Sick Benefit Society given to Abe Magerman in 1913, and several photographs of Abe Magerman participating in union activities. There is also a Miss Union Made plastic doll dating from circa 1950, which is wearing pink dress and sash and is enclosed in a plastic cover.
This material was originally in the possession of Abe and Jennie Magerman. It was later in the possession of his son, Alfred, until being donated to the OJA by Alfred's wife Barbara in September 2007.
Abe Magerman was the assistant manager for the International Ladies Garment Workers' Union for many years. He was married to Jennie (nee Shefsky) Magerman and had two children, Esther and Alfred. Jennie (nee Shefsky) Magerman was the daughter of Myer and Toba Rayzel (nee Nusynovitch) Shefsky.
The International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union was founded in the United States in 1900 by amalgamating seven local unions. The ILGWU was dominated by the Jewish and Italian immigrants who worked in the garment industries. The union was formed to protect their interests. In the early years it was troubled by politics, but still continued to grow. In Canada, the Toronto Cloakmakers Union became affilitated with the ILGWU in 1911, which was two years after their official formation.
Scope and Content
Item is a black-and-white photograph of the General Strike Committee of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union in 1934.
International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.