Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
7504 records – page 1 of 151.
Accession Number
2011-1-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2011-1-5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1.5 m of textual records
ca 1000 photographs
Date
1900-2000
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the life and career of Morton Shulman as well as the Saxe family. Included in the Shulman records are photographs and slides, correspondence, newsletters, scripts for The Shulman Files, biographical material, writings and speeches, political constituency material, promotional literature for his books, diplomas and certificates, event invitations, scrapbooks and newsclippings. The Saxe family records consist of photographs, event invitations, diplomas and certificates and biographical material.
Custodial History
Records were in the possession of Dianne Saxe, the daughter of Morton Shulman and the wife of Stewart Saxe.
Administrative History
Morton Shulman (1925-2000) was a coroner, an MPP, a physician and an all-around controversial public figure.
Morton Shulman was born in Toronto April 2, 1925, son of David Shulman (?-1947) and Netty Wintrope Schwartz (1898-1985). He was educated at North Toronto Collegiate and received an MD from the University of Toronto in 1948. On 30 May 1950, Shulman married Gloria Bossin, daughter of Isadore and Lena Bossin. They had two children, Dianne and Jeffrey.
Shulman began his career by practising medicine and was first appointed to the Coroner's Office in 1952. He became Chief Coroner for the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto in 1963. Shulman was elected to the Ontario Legislature in 1967 as the NDP MPP for Toronto's High Park riding and was e-elected in 1971. Publicly he called himself a "socialist millionaire" and authored several books on investment strategies, including Anyone Can Make a Million (1966), The Billion Dollar Windfall (1972), and How to Invest and Profit from Inflation (1979). He also wrote The Coroner (1971) and Member of the Legislature (1973). Shulman also wrote a regular column for the Toronto Sun and hosted a television show call The Shulman Files (1976-1983) on City-TV.
During the 1960s, Shulman's use of the Office of Chief Coroner to lead crusades against the establishment led to his being removed from the position in 1967. A Royal Commission, led by Mr. Justice William Parker, was struck in 1967 to investigate Shulman's allegations that officials in the Attorney-General's Department had suppressed evidence, funds were being wasted, and discrimination influenced appointments of coroners. In 1970, another commission under Mr. Justice Campbell Grant was struck to investigate Shulman's allegations of improper relationships between some employees of the OPP and particular individuals associated with underground criminal activities. Shulman's career as the outspoken Chief Coroner for Metropolitan Toronto was the inspiration for the CBC dramatic television series Wojeck.
After being diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in the early 1980s, Shulman was successful in establishing a business and charitable trust to speed up Health Canada's approval and import of Deprenyl, a drug used in the treatment of Parkinson's Disease. In recognition of his multi-faceted career and public life of advocacy and generosity, Morton Shulman received the Order of Canada in 1993. He died in Toronto on August 17, 2000. ---------------------------------------------
Stewart Saxe is the son of Percy Saxe and Bernice Cohen and the grandson of Morris Saxe, who was responsible for the founding of the Jewish Farm School in Georgetown. Stewart Saxe is currently a lawyer and is married to Dianne (Shulman) Saxe, an environmental lawyer and the daughter of Morty and Gloria Shulman.
Use Conditions
No publication without donor's approval. Morton Shulman's personal correspondence is closed to researchers. Donor must be contacted prior to viewing.
Name Access
Shulman, Morton, 1925-2000
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2011-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2011-9-2
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 9 cm
Date
[between 1960 and 1962]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photograph of the sign from the Eastern Children of Israel Synagogue, located on Parliament Street, just north of Shuter Street in Toronto. The sign is in the shape of an arc and is situated on the second floor of a brick building between two windows. It is written in Hebrew and mentions both the Synagogue and a Talmud Torah.
Custodial History
The photograph was in the possession of Dr. Dorothy Pullan. She mailed it to the OJA in September 2011.
Administrative History
The Eastern Children of Israel Synagogue (Bnai Israel Hamizrachim or Eastern Children's Congregation) was founded in a house on Berkeley Street before the First World War. Its first synagogue was built at 177-179 Berkeley Street and officially opened in 1918. A Talmud Torah was later added onto the back. The synagogue was bulldozed in 1960 to make way for the Moss Park housing project, although the land sat vacant until 1962. The synagogue subsequently moved to 270 Parliament street until 1962, just north of Shuter Street, but is no longer in existence.
Subjects
Buildings and structures
Religion
Name Access
Eastern Children of Israel Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-1-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-1-8
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w ; 24 x 19 cm on matte 30 x 35 cm or smaller
Date
[189-]-1916
Scope and Content
Accession consists of three photographs documenting the Franklin family of Toronto, an early and prominent family of the Jewish community. The photographs consist of of the wedding dinner of Annie Franklin and Elias Robinson (12 June 1916) as well as two exterior views of A. Franklin, the pawn and bicycle repair shop with Franklin family members standing outside.
Custodial History
These items were discovered in the processing room. Their custodial history is unknown, although it is certain that they arrived at the Archives prior to 2001. They were assigned this accession number by the archivist.
4/18/2012: the original accession form was found for these photographs, donated in 1977, but an accession number had never been assigned at the time.
Administrative History
Abraham Franklin (ca. 1844-1905) and his wife Frances (Fanny) Franklin (ca. 1844-1908) came to Canada from Germany in 1865, via the United States. Together they had seven children: Jacob (John), Henry (Harry), Hyman (Herman), Annie (m. Robinson), Simon (Sam), Dora and Katie.
Abraham began as a picture frame dealer on York Street, later becoming a second hand clothing store owner with his wife on Queen Street West. By 1890, Abraham had established a jewellery store named Franklin Brothers, with his sons Jacob and Henry, and by the early 1910s also owned A. Franklin & Sons. The two businesses continued to operate simultaneously as a pawn shop, a jewellery store, and even a bicycle repair shop.
The Franklin family owned many large plots of valuable land in downtown Toronto, which they leased out to individuals and businesses, including Eaton's. Their land was located on the north side of Albert Street from James Street to Bay Street; along Gerrard Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets; and along Walton Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets. Later, the children inherited the property held by their parents, which had extended around the Queen Street West and Portland Avenue area.
In 1916, stemming from family concerns over her upcoming marriage to Elias Robinson, Annie Franklin transferred ownership of her portion of the inherited Franklin estate to her brothers, Henry, Hyman, and Simon for a cost of $25,000 to be held in trust for her.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-2-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-2-1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Physical Description
45 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1949-2009
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the records created and accumulated by Rabbi Joseph Kelman. The records detail Kelman's involvement with a number of organizations particluarly Reena, She'arim Hebrew Day School and Beth Emeth Bais Yehuda Synagogue. They also document the numerous awards and tributes he received in his life and detail his personal life. The records primarily consist of personal and professional correspondence, event invitations, photographs, newsclippings, and biographical material. There is also one file folder related to Sol Edell, the brother of the donor, and an oversized photograph of the Harbord Collegiate choral society and orchestra.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of Rabbi Joseph Kelman until his death in 2009. They were donated to the Archives by his wife, Sara Edell Shafler Kelman on Feb. 1, 2012.
Administrative History
Rabbi Kelman was born in Vienna, Austria in 1927, the son of Rabbi Zvi Yehuda and Mirl Kelman and the descendent of a long line of distinguished rabbis. He immigrated to Toronto with his family at the age of three in 1930. He attended Harbord Collegiate and was ordained at Yeshiva University in New York. Beginning in 1953, Kelman became seved as a rabbi in Sherbrooke, QC, Beverley, MA, and Suffern, NY vefore accepting the pulpit at Beth Emeth Bais Yehuda Synagoge in Torotno in 1959. At the time, Beth Emeth was a small congregation in the fledgling Bathurst Manor neighbourhood. He facilitated its merging with Bais Yehuda to form BEBY, and under his guidance it grew to become the third-largest Conservative synagogue in the GTA with a membership of approximately 1,500 families.
Kelman's life work was dedicated to providing opportunities for the developmentally disabled and learning challenged in the Jewish community. He was the founder of the Ezra and Kadima Schools, the Kadima Centre, the Camp Tikvah program, the Reena Foundation, Chai Tikvah and She'arim Hebrew Day School. He also served as a chaplain in Toronto hospitals and jails.
Rabbi Kelman was the recipeint of numerous awards for his contributions to Jewish education and community service, including a honourary doctorate from Ryerson University and Tel Aviv University. The Kelman School for Jewish Education at Tel Aviv University is named in his honour. Rabbi Kelman died on June 27, 2009 at the age of 82.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Includes approx. 50 photographs, 1 CD and 1 artifact.
Name Access
Kelman, Joseph, 1927-2009
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-2-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-2-8
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Date
1975
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photograph of the dedication of Pardes Shalom Cemetery in 1975. The photograph depicts a number of men in a field with a 3D model of the cemetery grounds. There is a tent behind them.
Custodial History
There is no information on the source or custodial history of this item. Accession number was assigned by the Archivist.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2011-11-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2011-11-1
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
72 photographs : b&w ; 51 x 41 or smaller
1 scrapbook
10 cm of textual records
Date
[195-]-1987
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the community involvement of Arthur and Beatrice Minden. The records include photographs and one scrapbook posthumasly presented by Keren Hayesod (United Israel Appeal) to Arthur Minden at the dedication of a kindergarten he funded in Ashdod. Also included are 21 issues of teh Jewish Record and one issue of the UJA Picture News. The photographs document the first, second and third UJA missions to Israel, a visit to a blind school in Israel, Minden's involvement with the Muscular Dystrophy Associaton, a Friend's of Haifa University luncheon, a UJA Women's campaign trip to Ottawa, the donation of a Hebrew dictionary by Ernest Klein to the University of Haifa, as well as family trips to Israel and Miami.
Custodial History
The records were in the posession of Jo-Ann Minden, the daughter of Arthur and Beatrice Minden.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-3-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-3-1
Material Format
graphic material
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
2 photographs : col. (1 jpg) ; 10 x 15 cm
Date
[2012?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a photograph taken by Jack Hecker of the site of the former Agudath Israel Anshei Sfard Shul (151 Palmerston Ave.). A duplex house currently occupies the site. The text on the duplex building was added in by Jack Hecker.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Synagogues
Buildings and structures
Name Access
Agudath Israel Anshei Sfard Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-4
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w and col. ; 20 x 30 cm and 20 x 26 cm
Date
[198-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of three photographs taken at the CJC's 26th Regional Plenary at the Lipa Green building in Toronto. Pictured in the photographs are Yehuda Lipshitz, Rose Wolfe and Robert Nixon, MPP from Ontario.
Custodial History
There is no information on the acquisition of these photographs. The accession number was assigned by the archivist.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-3-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-3-6
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
281 photographs : b&w ; 12 x 16 cm or smaller
Date
[192-]-[198-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 281 photographs in one album of the Quitt and Drutz families of Toronto. The photographs are family snapshots documenting life events such as births, marriages, family vacations and military service and other social gatherings.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of Mark Drutz until they were donated to the OJA on 4 April 2012.
Administrative History
Mark Drutz is the youngest child of Harold (Hymie) and Evelyn Sandra (Quitt) Drutz. Harold (1913-1998) was born to Phillip (Fyvish) and Annie Drutz of Russia. In 1946 he married Evelyn Quitt (1924-1999), the daughter of Samuel (1891-?) and Bertha (1890-1953) Quitt, also of Russia. They had two children: Paul, who ultimately succumbed to AIDS (1947-1994) and Mark (aka Donald, 1951-). Evelyn and Harold also helped to raise Paul's son and their grandson, Ezra Matthew (1975-).
Harold worked in the garment trade as a pattern cutter and also served in the Canadian Medical Corps during the Second World War. He was one of 7 children, his siblings being: Meyer, Daniel, Harry (Drue), David, Pauline and Mollie (Simmons). Evelyn was one of 5 chidren, her siblings being: Estelle (Drue - married Harold's brother Harry), Rivka (Smolkin), Gordon (Gerhson), and Beverley (Brown).
Descriptive Notes
Finding aid is located with the photographs along with genealogical information prepared by the donor.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-10
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
ca. 65 photographs : col. (ca. 30 negatives) ; 22 x 28 cm or smaller
Date
1945-1985
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual and graphic material documenting Albert Edelstein's involvement with the Labour Zionist Youth group (Habonim Dror) and the Frontier Branch of the Labour Zionist Alliance-Toronto. Included are programmes, Fundraising material, a meeting notice, a Frontier News bulletin, and a Frontier Branch 513 anniversary booklet. Also included is a composite copy photograph of members of the Jewish National Workers Alliance (1941) and photographs of a Habonim reunion that took place in 1983. Finally accession also includes an issue of Congregation Beth Hamidrash Hagadol's bulletin "The Shofar" (1945).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-9
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 photograph : b&w ; 22 x 26 cm
Date
1957-1982
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual and graphic material documenting Murray Page's involvement in the Don Mills B'nai Brith Lodge. Included is a copy of the Lodge's charter, a photograph of the B'nai Brith bowling league (1960-1961), an invitation, an issue of the "2131 News" newsletter, and a 25th anniversary booklet.
Custodial History
Records were in the possession of Murray Page's wife when they were donated to the OJA.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-1
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
17 photographs : b&w and col. ; 20 x 26 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual and graphic material documenting Young Judaea and its camps. Included are photographs of Camp Solelim and Camp Shalom, clippings from the Judean publication, and a copy of the logo for Canadian Young Judea.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-4
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
119 photographs : b&w and col. ; 18 x 13 cm or smaller
Date
[ca. 1929]-2001
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 119 photograhs documenting the Drutz and Quitt families of Toronto. The photographs are snapshots documenting the family members and events.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of Mark Drutz. They were mailed to the Archives in April of 2012.
Administrative History
Mark Drutz is the youngest child of Harold (Hymie) and Evelyn Sandra (Quitt) Drutz. Harold (1913-1998) was born to Phillip (Fyvish) and Annie Drutz of Russia. In 1946 he married Evelyn Quitt (1924-1999), the daughter of Samuel (1891-?) and Bertha (1890-1953) Quitt, also of Russia. They had two children: Paul, who ultimately succumbed to AIDS (1947-1994) and Mark (aka Donald, 1951-). Evelyn and Harold also helped to raise Paul's son and their grandchild, Ezra Matthew (1975-). Harold worked in the garment trade as a pattern cutter and also served in the Canadian Medical Corps during the Second World War. He was one of 7 children, his siblings being: Meyer, Daniel, Harry (Drue), David, Pauline and Mollie (Simmons). Evelyn was one of 5 chidren, her siblings being: Estelle (Drue - married Harold's brother Harry), Rivka (Smolkin), Gordon (Gerhson), and Beverley (Brown).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-5
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 9 x 9 cm
Date
[1975?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two group photographs of UJA staff taken during a staff baseball game at a park near Dalemount Ave. and Glengrove Ave. Identified in the photographs is Bruce Gilbert, Perry Romberg, and Simon Kalkstein.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-8
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
1 folder of textual records
Date
1965
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a photograph and anniversary book documenting the 50th anniversary of the Chenstochover Aid Society.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-10
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 19 x 67 cm
Date
28 Mar. 1929
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photograph of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Sunnyside Lodge No. 449, Degree Team Winners and Chapions of the Degree Work. The photo depicts a group of members of the lodge seated and standing in front of an unidentified building in Toronto.
Administrative History
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Sunnyside Lodge No. 449 was an all-Jewish lodge of the organizaiton. They were a benevolent and fraternal association.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-7
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 7 x 8 cm
Date
[194-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photograph of Israel Feldman (left) and an unknown Ukranian soldier.
Custodial History
The photo was donated by Vardit Feldman, the daughter of Israel Feldman.
Administrative History
Israel Ignac Feldman was the son of Jakub Moszek and Pisarek Rajzla Feldman. On 15 March 1936, Feldman was drafted for military service in the Polish army and enlisted in the 31st Infantry Rifles Regiment of Kaniowski at Lodz, Poland. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion under the command of Major Holowka and attached to the 4th Company under the command of First Lieutenant Jarzecki. He was discharged on 15 June 1947.
On 1 October 1936, Ignac Feldman was promoted to the rank of First Class-Lance Corporal. On 15 September 1937, he was honourably discharged. He was called up again in 1938 for field exercises with the 18th Infantry Regiment at Skierniewice and was mobilized on 24 August 1939. Feldman was involvedin active operations in Skierniewice, Grojec, Garwolin, Zelechow, Ryki, Lubartow, Celestynow and Falenica between 1 September until 26 September 1939, when he as taken into German captivity in Falenica as a prisoner-of-war. On 20 October 1939, Feldman escaped from the prisoners convoy. He was honourably discharged from the Polish Armed forces while in Germany on 15 June 1947. That December, he immigrated from Germany to Holland. He later moved to Toronto with his family. Fedlman was awarded the Army medal 1939-1945 for his participation in the Second World War.
Descriptive Notes
"The Lost Dream" written by Israel Feldman is held by the Jewish Public Library.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-5-11
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 photographs : b&w and col. ; 13 x 18 cm and 10 x 15 cm
Date
1954-1994
Scope and Content
Accession consists of graphic and textual material documenting the activities of the Ostrovtzer Mutual Benefit Society (Toronto). Included are group photos, 30th annual Jubilee Boklet, invitation and program for the 60th anniversary, and a program for the unveiling of a Second World War memorial for Jewish martyrs from Ostrovietz, 1966.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-6-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-6-7
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
58 photographs : b&w and col. ; 21 x 25 cm or smaller
Date
[190-]-2003
Scope and Content
Accession consists of original and photocopies of photographs related to the Lyons, Agranove, Rotenberg, Pollock families from Toronto and Hamilton. Included are family portraits, wedding portraits, the family likely at community events, and a photo of the family at Crystal Beach.There is also a photocopy of a story in the Canadian Jewish News about a Rotenberg family reunion in 2003.
Administrative History
William Agranove was active in Keiltzer Society and was in the furniture manufacturing business. He was also a major fundraiser for the UJA, a close friend of Sam Kronick. He is mentioned in Hesh Troper's book "None is Too Many" as helping Jews come to Toronto from Europe.
Rotenberg Family were a large family with 10 children. Saul Rotenberg raised horses and was partners with Lyons in the furniture business that had many locations, one on Yonge Street.
Descriptive Notes
Donor's cousin Judy will be in touch with OJA to provide more information.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-6-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-6-4
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
24 photographs : b&w and col ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Date
[ca. 1915]-1986
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs related to Nachman Sokol's involvement with the Mizrachi movement. The photographs feature Sokol at meetings and events in Israel with individuals such as President Chaim Herzog, former President Zalman Shazar, Chief Ashkenazi Rabbi Goren, and the Mayor of Jerusalem, Shlomo Zalman Shragai. Photos related to the Mizrachi movement include a group photo featuring Sokol with Shmuel Aaron Abella, Mr. Posner and Max and Joseph Zeifman along with a snapshot taken at Camp Moshava (or Camp Hashomer Hadati / Mizrachi Agricultural School and Camp) in Bronte (this camp likely opened in 1945 on the Osler Estate in Bronte). Personal photographs include Sokol disembarking from a plane in Israel, Sokol with his wife Bertha, as well as his brother-in-law, Hyman Bessin and Sokol as a young child with his parents and siblings..The textual records include a 100th anniversary book for the Canadian Friends of Yeshiva University, a 70th anniversary book for Sokol, some correspondence including a letter to Hy Bessin from Paul Martin Sr. and a reception invitation to Sokol from the President of Israel.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of Reuben Sokol, the step-son of Nachman Sokol.
Administrative History
Nachman (Nathan) Sokol (ca. 1910-1992) was born around 1910 in Brisk, Russia. He was ordained at the Brisk Yeshiva, following in the footsteps of his father, Rabbi Yakov Menachem Sokol. His mother's name was Gittel. He had five siblings: Shmuel, Mindel (died in the Holocaust), Harry, Chana and Adele. In 1947, he attended the World Zionist Conference in Basle and met Rachel Bessin Hochman (the first President of the Women's Mizrachi Hapoel Hamizrachi of Canada). He later met Rachel's daughter Bertha Bessin (b. Ottawa 1920-d. Toronto 2011). In 1958 Nachman and Bertha married; the second marriage for both. Nachman's first wife was Dina and they had one daughter, Gloria (Halberstadt). Bertha had three children with her first husband Joseph Lang (who died at age 37): Merna (Davidowtiz), Marvin, and Reuben. Bertha's children were legally adopted by Nachman.
Nachman never practiced as a Rabbi, although he was trained as a ritual slaughterer. He would work in property management for most of his life. He was very involved in the religious zionist movement in Toronto, particularly as a member of the Mizrachi movement. He was a volunteer on the Va'ad Hakashruth, on the board of CHAT, President of the Torah HaVodah Congregation, co-founder of the Bnei Akiva high schools in Toronto, a counselor and Rosh Mosh of Camp Moshava in Bronte, and founder and President of Camp Moshava in Ennismore, Ontario. Sokol died in 1992.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Associated material note: the Ottawa Jewish Archives holds material related to Camp Moshova in Bronte in the Mizrachi Organization of Canada; Ottawa Branch fonds.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-6-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-6-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
24 photographs : b&w and col. ; 13 x 18 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Date
1991-2002
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities of the Jewish Theatre Committee. Included is correspondence, press releases, theatre programs and handbills, scripts, meeting minutes and agendas and photographs of members of the committee.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of Ralph Wintrob, chair of the Jewish Theatre Committee during the late 1980s and 1990s.
Administrative History
The Jewish Theatre Committee was founded in 1984 as a standing committee of the Toronto Jewish Cultural Council of the Toronto Jewish Congress. Its goal was to promote dramatic activities as a medium of Jewish cultural programming by encourageing new theatre groups, offering guidance in Jewish drama programming, to promote and develop new talent and scripts, and to work towards a Jewish Drama Festival. In 1984, a series of developmental workshops resulted in the formation of the Medina Theatre Ensemble, which presented creative theatrical programmes of Jewish content. The committee also organized workshops, school programmes, symposiums, lectures and readings and a yearly playwriting competition. The Jewish Theatre Committee disbanded sometime in the early 2000s.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
2.4 m of textual records and graphic material
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the political life and community involvment of Allan Grossman. The records include a number of photographs and scrapbooks.
Custodial History
There is no information on the acquisition of this material. The accession number has been assigned by the archivist.
Name Access
Grossman, Allan
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-14
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-14
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1.5 m of textual records and graphic material
Scope and Content
Accession consists of design and publicity material for the Jewish community centres at Bloor and Spadina and Bathurst and Sheppard in Toronto.
Custodial History
There is no acquisition information for this material. The accession number was assigned by the archivist.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-6-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-6-6
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
20 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Date
1957-2003
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a number of Menora newspapers (1967-1968, 1996-1998, 2003) for which Andy Winter was also an editor. Also included are photographs documenting Eugene's Imported European Products booth at the Canadian National Exhibition; Winter with Bela Kiraly, the leader of the Hungarian uprising (1958); a World Federation of Hungarian Jews meeting in New York (196-); a 25th anniversary party for Eugene and Maria Winter at the Borochov Centre on Lippincott Ave. (1957); a phto of Fritz Gorag, President of the World Federation of Hungarian Jews; and a photo of Winter being presented with a medal (1982).
Administrative History
Eugene Winter was born on December 31, 1910 in Budapest, Hungary. He married his wife, Maria Munczner (1910-1999), in 1932 and together they had two children: Gabriel (1934-2011) and Andy (1946-). During the Second World War he escaped from an enforced labour camp and became invovled in Hungary's Jewish underground resistance against the Nazis. After the war ended, he helped liberate many Hungarian cities from occupation and tracked down several war criminals.
In 1947, Eugene and his family immigrated to Israel where he helped found the town of Bat Shlomo. In 1951, they came to Canada, sponsored by Maria's brother, Frank Dosza. Soon after thier arrival in Canada, Eugene set to work helping other Hungarian Jews settle in Canada. He founded the Canadian Jewish Federation of Hungarian Descent, the Beth Hazichoron Congregation, the Toronto Hakoah Sport, Social and Cultural Club and the Menorah Jewish News. Eugene also served as vice-chairman for a fund-raising committee to build the Wallenberg Memorial Wing at the Regional Negev Hospital in Israel. Eugene passed away in Toronto in 1995.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-23
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-23
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
60 cm of textual records and graphic material
Scope and Content
Accession consists of graphic and textual records that were used for research or publication by the Canadian Jewish News.
Custodial History
There is no acquisition information for these records. The accession number has been assigned by the archivist.
Subjects
Communications and publishing
Name Access
Canadian Jewish News (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-24
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-24
Material Format
textual record
object
graphic material
Physical Description
12 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1942-2005, predominant 1942-1955
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities of Albert Edelstein and his family. The bulk of the records document Albert's involvement in the Habonim-Dror labour Zionist youth movement. Included are Habonim concert programmes, correspondence, notes, flyers, and newsletters as well as notes and correspondence documenting the activities and operation of Camp Kvutza. Also included are photographs, invitations and guest lists to the Habonim reunion in Toronto (1983), a CD containing information related to the 75th anniversary of the Habonim movement, and a newspaper clipping, notes, and a badge related to Camp Gesher. Accession also contains a brochure, a broadside, and event programme books of the Jewish Farband Folk Schools, and a Bureau of Jewish Education brochure. In addition, there are I.L.G.W.U. membership dues cards belonging to Ida Edelstein, issues of the Labour Zionist publications Farband Chaver (1943) and Insight (1984), and fundraising material related to the Israel Histadrut Campaign. There are also programmes, flyers and brochures of various Jewish organizations including, Hadassah, UJWF, United Jewish People's Order, YM-YWHA, Hashomer Hatzair, and the State of Israel Bonds. Finally accession consists of Second World War Victory Bonds receipt and brochure, a Monteith Inn (Shopsowitz) dance dinner menu, and a Zionist Youth Committee of Toronto flyer for a march in support of the Jews suffering through the Holocaust in Europe.
Custodial History
Material was in the possession of Albert Edelstein until its donation in 2012.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 87 photographs (17 negatives), 1 badge, and 1 CD.
Language note: records are in English and Yiddish.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-8-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-8-3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
sound recording
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records and other material
Date
[ca. 1930]-[ca. 2004]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records created and accumulated by author Anne Dublin while she was conducting research on the athlete Bobbie Rosenfeld for her book, Bobbie Rosenfeld: the Olympian Who Could do Everything. Included are audio recordings of interviews she conducted with Judy Ghert (a relative of Bobbie's) and Bruce Beacock (archivist at the Simcoe County Archives), some research notes and newspaper clippings on Rosenfeld and the winners of the Bobbie Rosenfeld award, and slides created by Anne for a presentation related to her book. Of note is an image of Anne Dublin sitting next to a plaque dedicated to Bobbie Rosenfeld in Barrie as well as contemporary photos of the home where Rosenfeld lived in Toronto (496 Markham Street) and historical plaques dedicated to her. Finally, accession also includes a CD with audio recordings of Anne's book launch, and interviews that were likely conducted with Rosenfeld on radio or television programs throughout her life.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 2 audio cassettes, 1 CD, and 16 slides.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-6-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-6-3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
13 cm of textual records (4 v.)
6 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Date
[193-]-1984
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the Drildzer Young Men's Mutual Benefit Society (now known as the Drildzer Congregation and Society of Toronto). Included are several ledger books documenting income and expenditures, membership dues, meeting minutes, and one souvenir booklet commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Young Men's society. Photographs document the executive, the women's auxiliary and membership banquets, picnics and events.
Administrative History
The Drildzer Congregation and Society of Toronto was founded on 1 January 1934 as the Drildzer Young Men’s Mutual Benefit Society. It's membership is comprised of descendents of families from the town of Ilza, Poland, known as Drildz to the former Jewish population. The society currently has approximately 150 members covering four generations. The society's board of directors meet monthly and the society holds 4 general meetings each year. Social events such as picnics and Chanukah parties are held yearly. The society participates in fundraising initiatives and maintains the Drildzer section of the Dawes Road cemetery. They recently led the Ilza Historical Cemetery Restoration Project, which saw the restoration of the Jewish cemetery in Ilza.
Descriptive Notes
Meeting minutes are recorded entirely in Yiddish.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-9-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-9-8
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
96 photographs : b&w and col. ; 21 x 16 cm or smaller
Date
[198-]-[199-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs created by UJA Federation's Young Leadership Network. The images document missions to Israel and Poland, staff retreats, telethon, an event held at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), as well as general photograhps of UJA staff representative Jeff Springer and members of the division at various events.
Identified individuals include: Gordon Wiseman, Neil Warshafsky, Wendy Woods, Barry Rivelis, Jay Levine, Greg Meisel, Joy Liebovitz, Dr. Jeffrey Lipsitz, Peter Ekstein, Ronitte Friedman-Perlman, Andrew Cohen, Anet Pollak, Susan Rose, Natalie Storm Kirsh, Heather Milstein, Lynn Kirshin, Ian Goldman, Anne Gottlieb, Neil Beube, Eva Ingber, Iris Kivity-Chandler, Bernie Ghert, Roberta Newman, Donna Glassman, Brian Keshen, Neil Nisker, and Ehud Olmert ( Israeli cabinet minister).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-10-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-10-2
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 12 x 10 cm on matte 16 x 13 cm
1 folder of textual records
Date
[191-]-1919
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photograph of the former home of Leo Frankel in Biblis, Germany. The home appears to have been converted into a train station. Also included is one travel document used by Leo Frankel to travel between Biblis and Worms during the First World War. Frankel was given permission as a student to travel by foot, train, bicycle or car.
Custodial History
The records were originally donated by Nancy in 2008. However, a signed deed of gift form was not secured until 2012.
Descriptive Notes
The travel card is in German, French and English.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-4
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : col. ; 26 x 21 cm
Date
[between 1925 and 1935]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a photograph of a poster advertising the showing of the movie "Yiskor" or "Thou Shalt Remember" at the Standard Theatre. This film was released in 1925 and manufactured by S. Geyer Inc. in New York.
Subjects
Arts and culture
Performance and entertainment
Name Access
Standard Theatre
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-10
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Date
[ca. 1945]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photograph of Goldhar's Cigar Store, located at 1125 St. Clair Ave. W. in Toronto. Sam Goldhar may be the individual standing in front.
Custodial History
There is no acquisition information for this item. It was found amongst other orphaned items in the processing room. The accession number has been assigned by the archivist.
Administrative History
Sam Goldhar is the father of Leo Goldhar, philanthropist and developer.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-8
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
5 photographs : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
Date
[199-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of three photographs of the exterior of the Lipa Green building from the parking lot, and two photographs of the Lipa Green building at the Bathurst St. entrance. A Nazi ensignia and the words PLO IRAQ and PLO have been spraypainted on the exterior brick. The photos of the Bathurst St. entrance were taken on 21 Jan. 1991.
Custodial History
There is no acquisition information for these photographs. The accession number has been assigned by the archivist.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Buildings and structures
Anti-Semitism and discrimination
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-7
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 photographs : b&w (2 negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Date
[190-]-1919
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to Rabbi Yosef (Joseph) Weinreb and the Congregation Machziki Hadas Menhag Sford (Teraulay Street Synagogue). Among the records are marriage certificates, financial documents pertaining to the synagogue along with correponsdence on its opening and the original by-laws. Also included is a photograph and copy negative of a Victoria School manual training class from the 1930s picturing Rabbi Weinreb's son, Sol, a photograph of two men and a child standing on the street (possibly Rabbi Weinreb on Teraulay Street), as well as a copy negative of Rabbi Weinreb with his wife in front of an unidentified building.
Custodial History
There is no acquisition information for these records. It is highly likely that they came in with the Sol Edell records. The accession number has been assigned by the archivist.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-6
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w and sepia (1 negative) ; 16 x 20 cm or smaller
Date
[197-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two photographs and a copy negative of Max Federman.
Custodial History
10/25/2012:There is no acquisition information for this item. The photographs were found in the processing room with other orphaned materials. The accession number has been assigned by the archivist.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-5
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w 21 x 26 cm
Date
Dec. 1967
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two photogrphs depicting members of Toronto's UJA Leadership Fact-Finding Commisssion boarding a plane in Malton and standing in front of an Israel Airlines plane. The group were on a 12-day fact-finding mission to study the countries health and welfare needs. Pictured in the photographs are Sam Crystal, Dr. Hart Levin, J. Irving Zucker, Morris Leibtag, Dr. Leonard Goldberg, Rabbi Albert Pappenheim, Phillip G. Givens, J.C. Oelbaum, Jack Israeli, Harold Hertzman, Dr. George Liban, Samuel Gotfrid, Dr. Wilfred Rovan and David Marks.
Custodial History
10/25/2012: There is no acquisition information for this file. The photographs were found amongst other orphaned material in the processing room. The accession number was assigned by the archvist.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-11
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Date
[197-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photograph of the exterior of A. Perlmutar Bakery, formerly located at 175 Baldwin St.
Custodial History
10/25/2012: There is no acquisition information for this item. It was found amongst the orphaned items in the processing room. The archivist has assigned the accession number.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-12
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
21 photographs : b&w (14 negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Date
[196-], [197-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of Kalmen Greenspans & sons butcher shop at 170 Brunswick Avenue at Harbord Street. The photographs depict Greenspan and other staff members inside the butcher shop as well as the exterior of the shop. There is also one earlier photograph of the exterior. The textual records include order forms and letterhead.
Subjects
Business and commerce
Food and cooking
Name Access
Greenspan, Harry
Greenspan, Kalmen
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-13
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-10-13
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
11 photographs : b&w and col. (2 negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Date
1917-1956
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to Aaron Ladovsky. Included is an urgent memo from Kielce asking for relief money and the accompanying receipt from Anshel Wise's steamship agent office for the remittance of the requested money (1939), a letter to Ladovsky c/o of the United Jewish Relief Conference from the CJC (1944), a Kieltzer Sick Benefit Society of Toronto dues booklet (1917), a Kieltzer Landmanshaften in Israel pamphlet (1953), and a receipt from the Standard Theatres Ltd. for payment of $60 for Ladovsky. This payment was made two months after the theatre first opened in 1921 and was likely payment for seats. The photographs depict Aaron Ladovsky with family in Kielce (1928), the dedication of a monument to the Kielce martyrs at a Jewish cemetery in Paris (between 1945 and 1950), a negative of a Canadian Jewish Congress meeting (1943), the exhumation of Kielce Jews who were murdered in the Holocaust, a photo of Ruthie, Herman and Philip Ladovsky at United Bakers, (1990s), and an exterior view of United Bakers on Spadina Avenue (1956).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-11-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-11-1
Material Format
graphic material
object
textual record
Physical Description
5 cm of textual records
5 objects
25 photographs
Date
1945-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to The Lizzies and the Lizzies Old Timer Association including newspaper articles, membership lists, a proclamation, booklets, articles, photos, 1 hat, 2 shirts, and 1 luggage tag.
Custodial History
This material was gathered together by Bronstine and Cornack and donated to the Archives. Further accruals from other former Lizzies are expected.
Administrative History
The Lizzies were a collection of sports teams that played amateur baseball and basketball in Toronto starting in 1912 in the school yard of the Elizabeth Street School. This “Playground” was situated in Toronto’s first Jewish quarter, St. John’s Ward, or simply “The Ward”. Supervised by the Parks Department’s Playground and Recreation branch, these playgrounds were popular places for inner-city children. They hosted athletic teams that competed in intramural competitions. The Lizzies won more than 150 titles at the city, provincial, and national levels in baseball, basketball, football, and hockey.Bob Abate (1893-1981), coached the Lizzies’ teams for 26 years and in 1990, the Elizabethan Recreation Centre (at Grace Street and Bloor Street West) was renamed the Bob Abate Recreation Centre in his honour. The Lizzies Old Timers Association is run by Harvey Bronstine and Norm Cornack and they bring together the remaining members of the Lizzies annually at a dinner.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-11-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-11-3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
ca. 30 cm of textual and graphic material
Date
[1979?]-[ca. 2007], predominant 1992-2007
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the governance, operation, and programs of the Hillel Children's Workshop. Included are meeting minutes, correspondence, policy documents, programming records, newsletters, mission statements, financial records, course outlines, class lists and teacher handbooks. Also included are photographs of special events, such as Chanukah, Purim, and Sukkot parties.
Administrative History
Established in 1974, the Hillel Children's Workshop was a cooperative Jewish Sunday school that ran programs for both parents and children. The curriculum was focused on Jewish humanist principles and based on Biblical and secular sources. As a cooperative group, parents were actively involved in the organization. In 2012, the school closed due to decreased enrolment.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-11-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-11-5
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 20 photographs
1 folder of textual records
Date
[190-?]-1963
Scope and Content
Accession consists of graphic and textual material documenting Mark Hazza and his family. Included are family and individual portraits, unidentified school and sports team photographs, and a Rocky Mountain Polo Ranch greeting card. Of note are promotional sight-seeing photographs for Toronto and a photograph of Bob Hope at a Paramount Theatre event in Toronto. Also included are obituaries and other genealogical information that was collected by Nessa Herman.
Identified in the photographs are: Mark Hazza, Mary Hazza, Phillip Hazza, John Hazza, Reuben Hazza, Racheal (nee Hazza) Harris, David Cainer, Sadie (nee Hazza) Cainer, Isadore Harris, Annie (nee Hazza) Cohen, Sam Cohen, Evelyn Cohen, Shirley Harris, Hershel Harris, Sidney Cohen, Ruth Cohen, and Theresa Harris.
Custodial History
Nessa Herman collected the material from various family members and donated it to the OJA.
Administrative History
Mark Hazza was one of the earliest Jewish immigrants to settle in Toronto. He was born in Russian Poland in 1845. To escape the draft he was smuggled into Holland and later went to England in 1866. He finally settled in Toronto around 1871. Soon after arriving in Toronto, Miriam (Marion or Mary) Barnett from Bristol, England joined him here and they were married in the small hall where Holy Blossom Synagogue's services were being conducted at the time. They settled in Yorkville and Mark ran a tailoring business in what was the north end of the city.
Mark and Miriam had six children together: Racheal (Rae), Annie, Phillip, John (Hyman or Imy), Reuben (Rubin or Bun), and Sadie. Reuben went to to become a sports trainer, Phillip worked in the film business as a general manager for Famous Players, and John opened the Rocky Mountain Polo Pony Ranch in Alberta and was the first manager of Capitol Theatre in Calgary.
Mark passed away in 1918.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-12-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-12-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
18 photographs
8 cm of textual records
Date
1948-1975
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities of the Farband of Lithuanian Jews. Included are 18 photographs, mostly group photographs, of members of the Farband of Lithuanian Jews. There is also a medical card that states Madesker's membership to the Farband. Additionally, there are a number of booklets: Holocaust Remembrance booklet, Baycrest Honour Roll, Canadian Jewry in 1974, An Overview of an Active Jewish Community (Saul Hayes, OC, QC), Souvenir Program-Farband-Salute to Israel's 36th Independence Day (May 6, 1964), On Wings of Song (Rev. Nathan Stolnitz).
Custodial History
Records belonged to Ruwin Madesker and were donated to the OJA by his son, Michael.
Administrative History
Ruwin Madesker was born in Wilno, Lithuania in 1899. He came to Toronto in 1947 with his family in 1947 after spending 2 years in the Vilno Ghetto and one year with the underground. He also served 2 years with the Polish Army during the Second World War. In Toronto, he was involved with the Jewish Public Library, JIAS, Toronto Florists's Telegraph Delivery, and Toronto Cultural Society. He was an ardent Zionist and visited Israel in 1961 on the Histadrut Goodwill Mission. He also contributed articles to the Jewish Daily Journal, Toronto. (Who's Who, 1965)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-1-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-1-1
Material Format
moving images
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
3 film reels (ca. 12 min.) : col., si. ; 8 mm
7 photographs
1 folder of textual records
Date
1939-1993, predominant 1939-1962
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material documenting the activities of Cyrel Troster and her family. Included is a Coronet Club invitation to an annual charity ball in aid of German refugees (1939), a fyler advertising the 100th anniversary of Beth Tzedec synagogue, a brochure for a Jewish Women's Voices conference (1993), and photographs of a Brownie group celebrating Purim at Clanton Park synagogue, a talent show at Camp Timberlane, and campers at Camp New Moon and Camp Shalom. Also included are home movies of a Jewish Cub Scout parade featuring Joel Troster and visiting day at Camp Tamarack and Camp Shalom. Identified in the photographs are: Cyrel Troster and Larry Troster. The home movies were filmed by Cyrel's father, Jack Troster.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-1-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-1-4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
7 photographs
Date
1931-[ca. 1997]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs and textual records documenting the Lagover Mutual Benefit Society. The bulk of the photographs are photocopies of composite and group images of members, however, there is one original composite photograph of members (1931) and a copy photograph of the Lagov market. Also included is a constitution for the society (1938), copies of articles written by members which outline their memories of Lagov, and a brief meeting report (1997). Records are in English and Yiddish.
Custodial History
Records were in the possession of Sid' Orfus's brother-in-law. They came into Sid's possession after his brother-in-law passed away.
Subjects
Societies and associations
Name Access
Lagover Mutual Benefit Society (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-2-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-2-3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
20 cm of textual records
ca. 100 photographs
Date
[190-]-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to three generations of the Ladovsky family and their restaurant, the United Bakers Dairy Restaurant. Also included is a small amount of material related to Jewish organizations in Toronto, such as the Kieltzer Society and B'nai Brith, as well as the Bakery and Confectionary Union. Records include family and business photographs, correspondence, newsclippings, UB menus and other ephemera, and records related to family simchas and celebrations.
Custodial History
The records were created and accumulated by Aaron Ladovsky, Herman Ladovsky and Ruthie Ladovsky.
Administrative History
Aaron Ladovsky was born in 1888 in Kielce, Poland. He immigrated with his wife Sarah to Toronto in 1906 at the age of 18. Soon after arriving, Aaron Ladovsky worked to help form a Jewish bakers’ union to advocate for collective rights among Jewish Bakers. In 1912 he opened the United Bakers Dairy Restaurant at Dundas and Bay Streets (known then as Agnes and Teraulay Streets respectively) in the heart of the Ward. That same year, the couple had twin sons Herman and Samuel, who were born on September 23, 1912.
Only a short time later, in 1920, Aaron moved the location of his restaurant to 338 Spadina Avenue, just north of Dundas. He and his family lived in an apartment upstairs. Herman and Samuel attended Hester How Elementary School until 1919, Lord Lansdowne Public School once the family moved to Spadina, and later Central Commerce. The twins worked in the family business in the 1920s delivering fresh breads and buns by horse cart.
Aaron Ladovsky was involved in a number of community organizations. He was instrumental in founding the Kieltzer Society of Toronto in 1913; a community based immigrant-aid association extending aid to Kielcers in Poland and around the world. Ladovsky remained an active member of the organization until his death on April 5, 1960 . His restaurant provided a welcome gathering place for the Jewish community, serving traditional dishes and maintaining a friendly open-door policy. Aaron Ladovsky was known for his generosity and claimed that no one, whether they had money or not, left his restaurant hungry. The United Bakers' menu was mainly based on Sarah’s original recipes, and continues to be so to this day.
During the Second World War, Herman served overseas as an electrician in the Canadian army show with comics Johnny Wayne and Frank Shuster. After returning from the war, he married Dora Macklin in 1947, a registered nurse from Regina. He also began to take over management of the family business. Later, his son Philip and daughter Ruth would follow in his footsteps, helping to run the restaurant with him and later taking over managment. United Bakers remained on Spadina Avenue for 66 years – until 1986 when it moved to its current location at 506 Lawrence Avenue West, off of Bathurst Street. Herman was an active fixture in restaurant until his death on January 6, 2002. He also supported and was involved in the work of the Ontario Jewish Archives over the years. Today, Philip and Ruth carry on the family tradition of running United Bakers Dairy Restaurant.
Descriptive Notes
To be integrated into the Ladovsky family fonds 83.
Subjects
Personal and family life
Name Access
Ladovsky, Herman
Ladovsky, Aaron
United Bakers Dairy Restaurant (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-3-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-3-1
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 55 photographs
1 folder of textual records
Date
1919-1939, [ca. 2005]
Scope and Content
Accession consists primarily of photographs documenting the early life of Bella (nee Goldbach) Wilder and her family in Poland. Included are images of Bella with her siblings and friends, group photos of Bella at her Jewish school in Poland, a group image of Victor in the Polish army, and other photographs of Bella's family and friends. Also included are two family histories documenting the story of Bella's mother, Shifra Frimeth Goldbach, and the story of Max and Bella Wilder, which was written by their granddaughter Sandee Sharpe. Of particular note is a 1925 school photograph of the Workers Evening School in Opatow (?), which has Yiddish writing suggesting that the school may have received aid from an organization referred to as "Gives Relief" in Toronto.
Custodial History
The records were originally donated to the Jewish Genealogical Society of Canada (Toronto section) by Bella's daughter Ann Sharpe. JGS Toronto donated the material to the OJA a few months later with her consent.
Administrative History
Bella (nee Goldbach) Wilder was born on May 12, 1910 in Opatow, Poland to Chaim Shlomo Goldbach and Shifra Frimeth Schatz Goldbach. Bella's older brothers, Victor, Jack and Hymie began immigrating to Toronto in the 1920s and had saved enough money by 1936 to bring Bella and her mother to Toronto. After arriving in Toronto Bella found work sewing in a factory.
Bella married Max Wilder on September 29, 1939. Max worked at Superior Men's Tailoring where he sewed zippers into men's pants. They had two children together: Ann (born 5 April 1940, married Norman Sharpe) and Stan (born 21 Jan. 1945, died June 1974). Max passed away in 1999 and Bella passed away in 2002.
Subjects
Personal and family life
Name Access
Wilder, Bella, 1910-2002
Wilder, Max, ?-1999
Goldbach, Shifra
Sharpe, Ann
Places
Opatow, Poland
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-4-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-4-5
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
25 photographs : b&w and col. ; 13 x 18 cm or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Date
1957-[ca.1995]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of graphic and textual material documenting Jeff Perlmutar's involvement with the Bloor Jewish Community Centre (now the Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre) as both a member of the Orlon Club in his youth, and staff. Included are original and copy photographs of various Orlon Club events and activities, staff photos, images of a farewell party for Murray Tonkin (or "Squirt") which was called "Night for Squirt", and Jeff's business card. Individuals identified in the images include: Harry Rosenberg, Moishe Edelstein, Irv Letler, Stevie Silverberg, Don Heller, Sid Griseman, Jerry Granen, Abie Grossman, Marty Sone, Jeff Perlmutar, Murray Tonkin, Hindy Friedman, Alfie Adler, Maureen Emery, Sarah Klaiman, Estelle Daniels, Archie Grummit, Shirley Boonstra, Allison Lee, and Florence Marantz.
Administrative History
Jeffrey Perlmutar has been involved with the Jewish Community Centres in Toronto as both a client, volunteer, and staff member. In his youth he was involved with the Orlon Club and later was a group leader (1956-1961), swim instructor, teen program director and involved with the various camps, such as Camp Fundale. Between 1993 and 2000 he worked as Membership Director at the Bloor JCC.
Use Conditions
none
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 13 cm
Date
1967-1991, 1999
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual and graphic material documenting the Ostrovtzer Independent Mutual Benefit Society, the Ostrovster Young Men's Branch and the UJA Campaign. Ostrovtzer Society records include event invitations, general correspondence sent to members, newspaper clippings, a free loan booklet, a certificate, two issues of the OYMB News (1967), and a photograph of a cheque presentation to the Toronto Chapter of Kupat Holim. Also included is a UJA campaign programme booklet for an event honouring the consul general of Israel, Shmuel Ovnat (1977). Identified in the photograph is (left to right): M. Katz, A. Speisman, S. Wineberg, Hy Fogelman, J. Snider, R. Tinianon, A. Naiman, and Y. Cheifitz.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 photograph : b&w ; 14 x 17 cm
Date
1948-1951
Scope and Content
Accession consists of four issues of the Hillelite newspaper (Hillel, University of Toronto) published between 1950 and 1951 as well as a copy photograph of five Jewish men from Toronto en route to Israel to fight in the Machal during Israel's War of Independence (June 1948). They are standing in front of a ship which sailed from New York to Le Havre. Identified in the photograph are (left to right): Bob Eisen, Dr. Isadore Weinsweig, Walter Leff, Irving Matlow, and Al G. Rosenberg.
Source
Archival Accessions
7504 records – page 1 of 151.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content