Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
19 records – page 1 of 1.
Accession Number
2004-1-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-1-6
Material Format
architectural drawing
Physical Description
7 drawings : blueline prints ; 61 x 50 cm
Date
[ca. 1923]
Scope and Content
Drawings include: south & west elevations; cross section; details of window frames and balcony basement, ground floor, roof and balcony plans. Benjamin Swartz was the architect.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Name Access
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 2-2; File 93
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Photograph collection sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
2-2
File
93
Material Format
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1956-1968
Physical Description
65 photographs : b&w (17 negatives ) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
1 drawing : proposal ; 21 x 36 cm
Scope and Content
This file consists of photographs taken during the construction of the northern Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. branch. Included are images of the surrounding land and river and some images of the completed building and parking lot. There are also some photographic copies of artistic renderings of the interior of the building, photographs of individuals looking at architectural plans and drawings of the new building -- including the visiting Israeli tennis team -- and a copy drawing of the original architectural proposal. There are also some images of the Building Committee and a fundraising meeting at the home of Sam Granatstein.
Identified individuals include Ben Shore, Dorothy Shore, Stephen Shore, John Shore, Percy Hermant, Gordon A. Adamson (architect), Lou Posluns, Sam Granatstein, Paul Granatstein, Alex Fisher, E. I. Shapiro, Ralph Fisher, H. Max Swartz, Bert Fine, Florence Hutner, Harvey Blackstein, Louis Posluns, John Fienberg and Stephen Berger.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-1922
Physical Description
136 architectural drawings : pencil, some hand col., watercolour, on linen weave and tracing paper ; 100 x 90 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Henry Street Beth Jacob Synagogue was founded by Toronto’s Polish-Jewish Community, as the successor of an older, smaller synagogue on Elm Street. It was the first synagogue in Toronto that was designed by a Jewish architect, Benjamin Brown. Located at 23 and 23 ½ Henry Street, the synagogue was dedicated in 1922, at a cost of $156,000, and could accommodate up to eight hundred worshippers. It was built in Romanesque style and was notable for its stained glass windows and retractable roof that was used on Sukkoth. It also contained a vaulted ceiling capped by a large dome and four smaller ones. The building was eventually sold and converted into a church. It is the current site of the Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Beth Jacob Synagogue. Contained within are basement, floor, stairwell and roof plans, load plans, sections, and elevation drawings. Also included are detailing of windows, the Ark, entrances and other structures and objects.
Notes
Most of the drawings are stored in four rolls, the remainder are encased in five sheets of Melinex. Due to the fragility of these drawings, the medium, extent and sizes of them are based on the descriptions compiled by Steve Speisman. It is recommended that a conservator examine these drawings.
Name Access
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Some drawings are frayed and torn.
Places
Henry Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1922]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col., watercolour, on cardboard backed paper ; 90 x 73 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah Day School was established in 1907 and was originally situated on Simcoe Avenue. In 1922 the school received a charter from the Province of Ontario and relocated to Brunswick Avenue the same year. The new school opened in 1925 as a non-denominational afternoon school. It was the precursor to the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto.
Scope and Content
File consists of one drawing of the exterior of the Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Related Material
See File 49-5-13 for plans of the Yorkville Talmud Torah Day School in New York, designed by Benjamin W. Levitan.
Places
Brunswick Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
6
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1915]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil and hand col., watercolour, 1 on cardboard backed paper ; 52 x 41 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Chevra Tehillim congregation was established in 1887 and held services at various locations until it moved to its permanent home at 69 McCaul Street in 1905. Around 1910, the congregation had the McCaul premises remodeled. The synagogue remained on McCaul Street until 1952, when it merged with Goel Tzedek to form the Beth Tzedek synagogue, currently Canada's largest. The Beth Tzedek synagogue is currently located on Bathurst Street. The McCaul Street premises was demolished in the late 1950s.
Scope and Content
File consists of two colour drawings of a proposed new Ark for the McCaul Street Synagogue. They were drawn by Benjamin Brown as a proposal for redesigning the Ark during the 1910s. According to an interview with Brown in 1973, this ark was his first commission after he opened his office at 600 Bay St.
Notes
It is possible that Item #16 is a design of the Ark for the Beach Hebrew Institute.
Subjects
Torah arks
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
16
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1936
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : pencil and hand col., watercolour, on verso of blueprints ; 38 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of three high quality drawings of the interior and exterior of "My Valet", a single storey clothing store located at 1492 1/2 Bathurst Street for Mr. C. W. Fountain.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Bathurst Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
17
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1925]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pastel on verso of blueprint ; 47 cm length and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mrs. Celia Cherry was the wife of Isadore Cherry, who was the owner of several ladies clothing shops along Dundas and Bloor. Mrs. Cherry died in 1927, aged 39.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Cherry's clothing store at 1014 Bloor St. West. Contained within are a floor plan and a high quality pastel drawing of the front exterior, on the back of a previously used blueprint.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Bloor Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 76
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
76
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : blueprint ; 62 cm length and 5 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a garage and service station for Jack Chaban at 628 Annette Street. A section and elevation drawings are included.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 85
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
85
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1934-1935
Physical Description
8 architectural drawings : pencil, some hand col., pencil crayon and watercolour on tracing paper ; 72 x 69 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Doctor Leon J. Solway and Doctor Maurice Pollock were two of the earliest Jewish doctors to practice in Toronto.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to the offices of Doctor Leon J. Solway (a cardiologist) and Doctor Maurice Pollock (a general practitioner) at 425 Bloor Street West. Sections, floor plans and elevation drawings are included.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions created by Steve Speisman.
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Condition is poor, several drawings are badly torn.
Related Material
See File 49-5-12 for Kaplan and Sprachman's designs of the building.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 21
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
21
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921
Physical Description
24 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 23 pencil on tracing paper ; 89 cm length or smaller and 9 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Born in 1883, David Dunkelman was the founder of Tip Top Tailors, a high end men's clothing store, which currently has about one hundred branches nationwide. The business was sold to Dylex who subsequently sold it to Grafton-Fraser in 2000. David, and his wife Rose had six children; Joseph, a movie executive; Ernest, a manufacturer; Zelda; Veronica; Theodora; and Benjamin, who fought in both the Second World War and the Israeli War of Independence. David Dunkelman died in 1978.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of alterations to the residence of Mr. David Dunkelman. Contained within are sections, elevation drawings and a floor plan. Several sketches of the interior of the residence as well as detailing of windows, a mantle and the entrance are included.
Notes
Drawings are in three rolls.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
In need of conservation. Some drawings are badly torn.
Places
Rowanwood Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 87
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
87
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1940
Physical Description
17 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 71 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Morris Alspector was a Jewish real estate agent and developer.
Scope and Content
File consists of sections, elevations, detailing, floor plans, a foundation plan and a section of a two storey hotel for Mr. Morris Alspector on Lakeshore Road at Jackson Point on the south side of Lake Simcoe.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 88
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
88
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921-1924
Physical Description
44 architectural drawings : 4 blueprints, 40 pencil on tracing paper ; 81 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Dr. Max Kates was a Jewish dentist, his office was located at 218 1/2 Queen Street West. He was married to Lillian Kates, who was the founder of Camp Arowhon. They had two children, Eugene and Shyrle.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey building containing stores for Dr. Max Kates at Dundas and Elizabeth Streets. Sections, elevations, detailing, floor plans, a block plan and a roof plan are included. An early perspective drawing shows the building designed as three-storeys instead of the built two-storey structure.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions created by Steve Speisman.
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 23
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
23
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1930
Physical Description
58 architectural and technical drawings : 6 blueprints, 51 pencil and 1 pen. some on tracing paper ; 102 cm length or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of a proposed house for Benjamin Brown at 37 Castle Frank Crescent. The house was completed and Brown lived in it from 1931-1932. The plans contain drawings of a two storey, three bedroom home that included servant quarters. Floor plans, lot plans, sections, elevation drawings, interior sketches, detailing and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included.
Notes
An elevation drawing is on the verso of the ground floor plan.
Formerly listed as Commission XXVIII.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile, some are torn.
6/16/2015: Records were sent out for conservation treatments.
Places
Castle Frank Crescent (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 94
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
94
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1923-1926
Physical Description
66 architectural drawings : 16 blueprints, 50 pencil on tracing paper ; 79 cm length or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Empire Clothing Company, co-owned by Mr. William Leibel and Mr. A. M. Schiffer, manufactured men's clothing and sold it wholesale. Leibel and Schiffer were also close neighbors, living only a few houses apart. The headquarters of Empire Clothing was located at 197/199 Spadina Avenue.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings for additions and alterations to the office headquarters of the Empire Clothing Company at 197/199 Spadina Avenue. Elevations, detailing, sections, floor plans and a roof plan are included. Also included are the drawings for the original factory, completed by Brown in 1923.
Notes
Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description and extent are partially based on Speisman's earlier item level descriptions. The drawings are contained in two rolls.
ACCESS RESTRICTION NOTE: Researchers wishing to access interior drawings must be granted written permission by the property owner.
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile and torn.
Related Material
See File 49-2-4 for plans of private garage for Mr. A. M. Schiffer.
See File 49-2-6 for plans of alterations to home of Mr. William Leibel.
See File 49-3-69 for plans of a building for Empire Clothing at Spadina Avenue and Adelaide Street.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 25
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
25
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-1920
Physical Description
56 architectural drawings : 13 pen on linen weave, 1 blueprint, 42 pencil, some on tracing paper ; 74 cm length or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Mendel Granatstein was a prominent member of one of the early Jewish families of Toronto. In 1895, he founded M. Granatstein and Sons, Ltd., a junk dealing company, and by the early 20th century, he had become one of the most prosperous Jews in Toronto. Mr. Granatstein was also a community leader, having a hand in the foundation of Beth Jacob Synagogue.
In 1919, Mr. Granatstein commissioned Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell to design a three storey Classical Georgian style house located at 42 St. George Street. This house also contained a retractable roof used on Sukkoth. In 1947, the house was acquired by the University of Toronto and was used for a variety of purposes until it was demolished in 1999. The Bahen Centre for Information Technology now stands in its place.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of the three storey, six bedroom mansion of Mr. Mendal Granatstein at 42 St. George Street. In addition to the bedrooms, the house contained a sunroom, a study, an enclosed porch, a large living room and a large dining room. Servants' quarters were located in the attic. Floor plans, sections, elevation drawings and drawings of alterations to the porch design are also included.
Notes
Drawings are located in two rolls, one containing the linen weave drawings, which are in good condition and the other containing the remainder, which are in very poor condition. Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions of Steve Speisman.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Many drawings are torn and in poor condition.
Places
Saint George Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
1
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1940
Physical Description
12 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 48 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Founded in the 1920s, Camp Yungvelt was originally situated on Lake Wilcox. Two years later it moved to Pickering, where it operated until it closed in the 1950s. It was established by the Workmen's Circle, as a Yiddish summer camp for Jewish children. Camp Yungvelt was known for accepting the children of poor immigrants for a small fraction of the regular fee.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of several new buildings that were erected at Camp Yungvelt. Floor plans, a foundation plan, and several elevation drawings are included.
Subjects
Camps
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Pickering (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 104
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
104
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921-1922
Physical Description
27 architectural and technical drawings : 26 blueprints, 1 pencil and paint ; 81 cm length or smaller and 9 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Located at 285 Spadina Avenue, the Standard Theatre was the first purpose-built Yiddish theatre in Canada. Described as the finest Yiddish theatre in North America, it contained seating for 1500 and included a balcony. The Standard held its opening performance and ceremony on August 31, 1922. It became the site of a variety of Yiddish plays, musical performances and other entertainment. The theatre was also the scene of political activity during this period, including a 1929 gathering to commemorate the death of Lenin. In 1935, due to poor attendance, the theatre was converted into a movie theatre renamed the Strand. Over the next several decades, the theatre was used for a variety of purposes, including as a Chinese movie house and even as a burlesque house for a time. Most recently, the main floor of the building has been converted into a bank, while the upper balcony has been closed. The Standard was designated as a heritage building in 2007.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings by J. M. Jeffrey of the Standard Theatre located at 285 Spadina Avenue. Elevations, floor plans, sections, detailing, a heating plan, a roof plan, a colour drawing of a theatre sign and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included. These drawings are the original permit plans that would have been used onsite during construction. Although Jeffrey is the name on the drawings, Benjamin Brown has also been credited as the architect for the theatre according to an August 31, 1922 Globe and Mail article detailing the opening night.
Name Access
Jeffrey, J. M.
Standard Theatre
Access Restriction
Closed. Records are closed for conservation reasons.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Drawings are torn and wrinkled. A conservator should examine these drawings before further handling.
Places
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 105
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
105
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1929-1930
Physical Description
41 architectural and technical drawings : some pencil, some blueprints ; 81 cm length or smaller and 9 cm diam.
1 photograph : b&w ; 38 x 30 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Balfour Building is a Toronto landmark and designated heritage building that is located at 119 Spadina Avenue. It was designed by Benjamin Brown and was one of his most important commissions. Built in 1930, the building is twelve storeys high and crowned by a two storey tower. It is considered one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture in Toronto. Initially, many Jewish garment businesses were located in the building. It currently houses offices for several graphic design and advertising firms, shops and a post office. The Balfour Building was declared a heritage building by order of City Council in July of 1989.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural and technical drawings of the Balfour Building. Floor plans, a roof plan, detailing, sections, elevations, electrical plans and drawings of the entrance are included. Also included is a photograph of the exterior in the early 1930s.
Notes
Photograph is mounted on cardboard and encased in Melinex.
Due to the fragility of this material, the description and extent are partially based on Steven Speisman's item level descriptions.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Related Material
See photo 3308 for a copy print of the Balour building photograph in this file.
See File 49-3-34 for alterations to Lazar's restaurant in the Balfour Annex at 125 Spadina and File 49-3-32 for alterations to Balfour Annex stores for Messrs. Shiffer, Hillman and Lichtman.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-1; File 73
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Subject files sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-1
File
73
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
object
Date
1943-1954
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
1 drawing : blueprint ; 34 x 42 cm folded to 18 x 22 cm
2 artifacts
Admin History/Bio
The Jewish Camp Council was formed in 1945 by five different groups running summer camps for Jewish youth: B’nai Brith, the National Council of Jewish Women, the Mothers’ and Babes’ Summer Rest Home Association, the United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto and the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A.
The United Jewish Welfare Fund eventually assumed responsibility for all camp property, including Camp Northland in Haliburton, and programming for all camps was organized as a unified service. The Jewish Camp Council Board of Directors included representatives from all five organizations, while the executive director of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. acted as executive director of the Jewish Camp Council. Initially, the head office was located at Camp B'nai Brith, near Orillia, and then moved into the new Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. building at Spadina and Bloor in 1953.
Scope and Content
This file contains textual records relating to the operation of the Jewish Camp Council and the camps it oversaw. The records include reports, meeting minutes and agendas, executive and community correspondence, financial records, camp pamphlets, event invitations and flyers and an architectural blueprint of the grounds of the Mothers' and Babes' Rest Home in Tollandale near Barrie, Ontario. There is also a parent's guide and two Y.M.H.A. cousellor badges from Camp Frailoch and Camp Northland.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Accession Number
2004-5-2
1988-11-7
1983-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
19 records – page 1 of 1.