Accession consists of photographs of Henry Springer outside and inside his kosher meat store on Bathurst Street in Toronto. His son, Jeff Springer, appears in one of the photographs.
Henry Springer (1921-2014) was born on 10 November 1921 to Mordechai and Leah Springer in Szczebrzeszyn, Poland. He had two sisters, Brenda and Faigie and one brother, Charles. Seven generations of Springers in Poland were butchers. During the Second World War, the whole family survived as prisoners of Russian labour camps. Following the end of the war, they spent four years in a displaced persons camp in Austria named Steyr, then immigrated to Canada, arriving in Quebec City in 1949. They migrated to Toronto with the assistance of JIAS and the Springer family in Kingston.
After a few years of working in an upholstery factory, Henry and his brother Charles partnered to open a kosher butcher store called Springer’s Kosher Meats, on Augusta Ave. in Kensington Market. In 1958, they opened a second location at 3393 Bathurst St., following the Jewish community's move north. A year or so later they closed the location on Augusta and focused exclusively on the Bathurst St. location until its closing in 1995. Their father Mordechai also worked at the business up until his death in 1982.
The store sold fresh meat, chicken and fish and some delicatessen and was well known for its chickens.
Henry Springer was married to Shriley Springer and together had three children: Rochelle, Hannah and Jeff. He died on 3 November 2014 just shy of his 93rd birthday.
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.