Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
2 records – page 1 of 1.
Address
216 Beverley Street
Source
Landmarks

The Apter Synagogue was formed by a group of people who came to Toronto from the area of Opatow (Apt) in Poland around the turn of the century. They first established a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in the Ward. In 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. Both the synagogue members and the Apter Friendly Society met there.
Address
216 Beverley Street
Time Period
1918-unknown
Scope Note
The Apter Synagogue was formed by a group of people who came to Toronto from the area of Opatow (Apt) in Poland around the turn of the century. They first established a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in the Ward. In 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. Both the synagogue members and the Apter Friendly Society met there.
History
In later years, a bitter controversy between the synagogue and society erupted and the building was sold.
Category
Political
Religious
Private Clubs
Source
Landmarks
Address
Rouge Hills
Source
Landmarks

In 1925 a group of women from the Jewish Women’s Labour League - Rae Watson, Becky Lapedes, Leah Linzon, Bella Goodis, Gertie Blugerman, Ethel Tempkin and Tillie Chikovsky - founded a children’s camp, Camp Kindervelt (later Camp Naivelt) in Rouge Hills, Ontario, 25 miles southeast of Toronto. The camp committee rented a dilapidated farmhouse which they furnished from their own homes. Adults set up their own camp in tents. Overcrowding soon led to a search for larger grounds. In 1936, Camp Naivelt was established in Eldorado Park in Brampton, ON. The children’s camp operated under the name of Camp Kinderland with the adult portion called Camp Naivelt. Camp Kinderland ceased to operate as an overnight camp in 1962 but continued as a children’s day camp until 1970.
Address
Rouge Hills
Time Period
1925-1970
Scope Note
In 1925 a group of women from the Jewish Women’s Labour League - Rae Watson, Becky Lapedes, Leah Linzon, Bella Goodis, Gertie Blugerman, Ethel Tempkin and Tillie Chikovsky - founded a children’s camp, Camp Kindervelt (later Camp Naivelt) in Rouge Hills, Ontario, 25 miles southeast of Toronto. The camp committee rented a dilapidated farmhouse which they furnished from their own homes. Adults set up their own camp in tents. Overcrowding soon led to a search for larger grounds. In 1936, Camp Naivelt was established in Eldorado Park in Brampton, ON. The children’s camp operated under the name of Camp Kinderland with the adult portion called Camp Naivelt. Camp Kinderland ceased to operate as an overnight camp in 1962 but continued as a children’s day camp until 1970.
Category
Camps and Resorts
Source
Landmarks

Narrow By

Source

Date

Subject

Place

Available Digital Content