Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
3 records – page 1 of 1.
Level
Item
ID
Item 1920
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1920
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1947 and 1949]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Identified in this photograph from from left to right are: Benny Friedman (President of Independent Exhibitors of Art); Abe Sprachman (architect); Maxie Starkman (partner, Allenby Theatre, Danforth Ave.); Charlie Wagman (partner, Allenby Theatre, Danforth Ave.); Harry Romberg (Metro Theatre, Secretary of Independent Exhibitors).
Name Access
Friedman, Benny
Sprachman, Abe
Starkman, Maxie
Wagman, Charlie
Romberg, Harry
Independent Exhibitors of Art
Allenby Theatre
Metro Theatre
Danforth Ave
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Danforth Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-6-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1545
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1545
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1948]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Apter Synagogue
Gary, Ethel
Halter, Jack
Zimmerman, Rabbi M.
Subjects
Weddings
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Beverley Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1978-11-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
216 Beverley Street
Source
Landmarks

The Apter Synagogue was formed by a group of people who came to Toronto from the area of Opatow (Apt) in Poland around the turn of the century. They first established a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in the Ward. In 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. Both the synagogue members and the Apter Friendly Society met there.
Address
216 Beverley Street
Time Period
1918-unknown
Scope Note
The Apter Synagogue was formed by a group of people who came to Toronto from the area of Opatow (Apt) in Poland around the turn of the century. They first established a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in the Ward. In 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. Both the synagogue members and the Apter Friendly Society met there.
History
In later years, a bitter controversy between the synagogue and society erupted and the building was sold.
Category
Political
Religious
Private Clubs
Source
Landmarks

Narrow By

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content