Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
8 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Thuna family series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 25; Series 7; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Thuna family series
Level
Item
Fonds
25
Series
7
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[192-?]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 14 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of a man and boy standing in front of Dr. Thuna Nature Remedies at 298 Danforth Avenue in Toronto. The man on the right is likely Jack Thuna.
Notes
Postcard photograph
Name Access
Dr. Thuna Nature Remedies
Thuna, Jack
Subjects
Storefronts
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Danforth Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1920
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1920
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1947 and 1949]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Identified in this photograph from from left to right are: Benny Friedman (President of Independent Exhibitors of Art); Abe Sprachman (architect); Maxie Starkman (partner, Allenby Theatre, Danforth Ave.); Charlie Wagman (partner, Allenby Theatre, Danforth Ave.); Harry Romberg (Metro Theatre, Secretary of Independent Exhibitors).
Name Access
Friedman, Benny
Sprachman, Abe
Starkman, Maxie
Wagman, Charlie
Romberg, Harry
Independent Exhibitors of Art
Allenby Theatre
Metro Theatre
Danforth Ave
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Danforth Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1979-6-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Name
Sarah (Patlik) Green
Material Format
sound recording
Interview Date
7 January 1975
Source
Oral Histories
Name
Sarah (Patlik) Green
Number
AC 004
Interview Date
7 January 1975
Quantity
1
Interviewer
Sophie Milgram
AccessionNumber
AC 004
Total Running Time
38 minutes 44 seconds
Conservation
Copied August 2003
Use Restrictions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Biography
Sarah (Patlik) Green grew up living in Toronto's "Junction" neighbourhood. The family home and scrap yard business were both located on Maria St. which served as the centre for Jewish life in the Junction during the early 1900s. Sarah Patlik was involved with numerous charitable organizations including the Ontario Hospital School of Orilla and the Rubinoff and Naftolin Mishpocha.
Material Format
sound recording
Name Access
Green, Sarah
Geographic Access
West Toronto Junction
Kingston, Ont.
Toronto, Ont.
Orillia, Ont.
Original Format
Audio cassette
Copy Format
Audio cassette
Digital file
Transcript
Side A:
0.21: Family arrived from Russia in 1908-1909. Grandfather arrived first. Saved his money and brought family to Canada, one by one. Anshel Wise agency used to help families immigrate to Canada.
3.44: Move to Toronto 1909. Family moved for better employment opportunities. Family lived in rented house on Portland Avenue. Father was a laborer in a junkyard. The junkyard was located around the King area, close to home. Family then moved to Stanley Ave. off Niagara St. Stanley Ave. was a Jewish neighborhood.
6.57: Move to The Junction 1915/1916. (Junction called “Muddy York” but was part of Toronto). Grandfather saved money and opened a junkyard of his own on Maria St. Family lived in 3 different homes on Maria St., one at 225, at 283 and the last house was right in the front of the junkyard, at 202 Maria St.
8.14: Standard of living in the Junction 1915/16. The rents were $20 a month. Mother made her own bread, preserves, and pickles to put away for the winter. She shared whatever we had with some of the poorer Jewish families on Maria St.
8.56: Maria Street Shopkeepers and Services. Two butchers, Mr. Zaitzove? and Mr. Weiner? Mr. Mandel had a Jewish bakery. Mr. Bexter? was the Schochet (ritual slaughterer). A cheder and a Peretz school. Teachers: Mr McKankil, Mr. Brick and Mr. Rigelhof?
11.28: No antisemitism in the Junction recalled by Sara Patlick.
11.34: Transportation in the Junction. No streetcars. There used to be a “jitney” and for 5 cents it took you right to your home. The streets were not paved and the mud came up to our “ears”. Entertainment in the Junction. We had no cars, radios nor televisions but we did have a gramophone, it was our entertainment. Mother bought a piano and paid a quarter a week for it. We all took piano lessons. Attended organized free concerts and dances at the Peretz Shul on Beverley St (first on Crawford St.). Picture shows were 5 cents.
17.27: Sarah Patlik and Charity Work. Secretary for Jewish Ladies Auxillary from the Junction. Raised money for the Weston Sanitorium. Secretary for the Old Folks Home on Cecil St. Secretary for the Antidiluvian Order of Buffalos, Lord Reading Lodge. Lodge did work for War Veterans. Hadassah. Secretary for Pride of Israel. In 1973 was made Woman of the year by the Ontario Hospital School of Orilla.
20.23: Agudath Mishpocha/Rubinoff and Naftolin Families. Families formed organization so that they would all be together and not forget who they were. Formed in 1928. Charity work and donations to: The Bloorview Hospital, Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy, The Heart Fund, Princess Margaret, Sick Children’s Hospital, Mt. Sinai Hospital, Baycrest, Jewish Blind, Syrian Jews, State of Israel emergency fund and bonds.
30.12: Affiliation with Pride of Israel. Joined with husband in 1933. Was Synagogue secretary for many years.
34.05: Junction Shul on Maria St. Founded in 1918/1919 by Hyman Naftolin. Shul began in a little house at 84 or 86 Maria St. Shul became too small. Abraham Tenenbaum investor of present day Junction Shul.
Source
Oral Histories
Address
216 Beverley Street
Source
Landmarks

The Apter Synagogue was formed by a group of people who came to Toronto from the area of Opatow (Apt) in Poland around the turn of the century. They first established a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in the Ward. In 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. Both the synagogue members and the Apter Friendly Society met there.
Address
216 Beverley Street
Time Period
1918-unknown
Scope Note
The Apter Synagogue was formed by a group of people who came to Toronto from the area of Opatow (Apt) in Poland around the turn of the century. They first established a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in the Ward. In 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. Both the synagogue members and the Apter Friendly Society met there.
History
In later years, a bitter controversy between the synagogue and society erupted and the building was sold.
Category
Political
Religious
Private Clubs
Source
Landmarks
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Architectural projects series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 27; Series 1; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Harold S. Kaplan fonds
Architectural projects series
Level
File
Fonds
27
Series
1
File
7
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[1935?]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
Exterior shot of theatre marquee.
Notes
Title and creation date based on content of the photograph, Mandel Sprachman's published Inventory of Kaplan & Sprachman theatre projects (Historic Theatres' Trust Bulletin, Spring-Summer 1996), and information accompanying a reproduction of the photograph in John Sebert's book, The "nabes" (p. 81).
Photographers: Pringle & Booth.
Name Access
Pringle & Booth
Subjects
Theaters
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Danforth Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
2003-6-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2007-10-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-10-5
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1977-2003
Scope and Content
Accession consists of materials documenting Congregation Iyr Hamelich, the Reform synagogue in Kingston. The records include the constitution, Sunday school minutes and policy documents, synagogue bulletins, correspondence and "Welcome to our Congregation" booklets.
Subjects
Religion
Name Access
Congregation Iyr Hamelich
Places
Kingston, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
7
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : 5 pen on linen weave, 1 pencil on tracing paper ; 49 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. J. Pearlman was the owner of a drygoods store and residence at 261 Danforth Avenue in the 1910s. In the 1920s, Mr. Pearlman moved his residence and business to 525 Danforth Avenue.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural plans for alterations and additions to a three storey building for Mr. J. Pearlman at 261 Danforth Avenue. The first floor contained stores and a billiards room, and the second and third floors contained accommodations for a five bedroom dwelling. Floor plans, sections, elevation views, and a block plan are included. This project was one of Benjamin Brown's earlier commissions.
Places
Danforth Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 20
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
20
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1930]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper, 1 hand col. pencil crayon ; 39 cm length and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Located at 605 Danforth (Danforth and Gough), the Iola Theatre operated as a movie theatre until closing in 1954.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans and elevations of the Iola Theatre, located at 605 Danforth. These drawings are probably related to a proposed renovation. An incomplete elevation of the Iola Theatre drawn by A. A. Abraham is also included.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile and torn.
Related Material
See File 49-5-11 for architectural plans designed by Herbert G. Duerr of a theatre on Kingston Road.
Places
Danforth Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
8 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content