Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
4 records – page 1 of 1.
Address
216 Beverley Street
Source
Landmarks

The Apter Synagogue was formed by a group of people who came to Toronto from the area of Opatow (Apt) in Poland around the turn of the century. They first established a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in the Ward. In 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. Both the synagogue members and the Apter Friendly Society met there.
Address
216 Beverley Street
Time Period
1918-unknown
Scope Note
The Apter Synagogue was formed by a group of people who came to Toronto from the area of Opatow (Apt) in Poland around the turn of the century. They first established a small synagogue on Centre Avenue near Dundas Street in the Ward. In 1918, in anticipation of more Apter immigrants coming to Toronto after the First World War, the synagogue was sold and a larger one purchased on Beverley Street. Both the synagogue members and the Apter Friendly Society met there.
History
In later years, a bitter controversy between the synagogue and society erupted and the building was sold.
Category
Political
Religious
Private Clubs
Source
Landmarks
Accession Number
2016-3-48
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-48
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
15 photographs : b&w and col.
Date
[196-?]-1985
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of the Kiever Synagogue. There are 12 images in black and white of both the exterior and the interior. These photos appear to be from the 1960s. There are also three colour photographs, two of which are of the exterior and one of which is of the interior during a service.
Custodial History
There is no information on the acquisition of this material. There is a name on the envelope that holds the photographs but the name cannot be deciphered.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Toronto, Ontario
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-56
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-56
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1930-1976
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a covering letter to Steve (presumably Speisman) from Sidney Harris dated September 14, 1976. The letter refers to two documents (a letter) one of which is in Hebrew and the other being its translation into English. The translation was performed by BGK (likely Ben Kayfetz). The covering letter refers to the Geldzaeler and Scheuer families and also refers to other documents being given to Steve. However, there were no other documents in the folder. The letter was from Mark Geldzaeler to Edmund Scheuer in thanks for a gift of a box of cigars.
Custodial History
There is no information on the acquisition of this material. However, it does appear to come from a family album of Sydney M. Harris.
Subjects
Families
Name Access
Harris, Sydney M.
Scheuer, Edmund
Geldzaeler, Mark
Places
Toronto, Ontario
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-69
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-3-69
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1950-1991
Scope and Content
Accession consists of interviews with various persons concerning their link with Goel Tzedec and its successor synagogue, Beth Tzedec. The interviews were primarily conducted by Ben Keyfetz and Jack Orenstien, the latter serving as the Executive Director of Beth Tzedec, at that time. Persons interviewed included Carl Keyfetz, N.N. Levine, Meyer Axler, and Bert Godfrey. There is also other information in the file concerning Cantors and Rabbis who served at Goel Tzedec, including Julius Price, Bernard Wladowsky, Jacob Gordon, and Samuel Sachs. There is a document from Bert Godfrey, undated but with a reference to 1950, titled 'Report of Construction Sub-Committee'. This presumably preceded the construction of the building housing the Beth Tzedec Synagogue on Bathurst Street. Also included is a 1955 publication of the Ne'ilah Service of Beth Tzedec to take place on February 6, 1955, concluding a half century of worship at the synagogue on University Avenue. Lastly, there are several pages of notes concerning the synagogue and its history.
Custodial History
There is no information on the acquisition of this material.
Subjects
Committees
Synagogues
Rabbis
Name Access
Kayfetz, Benjamin, 1916-2002
Places
Toronto, Ontario
Source
Archival Accessions
4 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place