Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
8 records – page 1 of 1.
Level
Item
ID
Item 4140
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4140
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1928
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Admin History/Bio
The gymnasium was added onto Council House at 44 St. George Street in 1928.
Name Access
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada
Subjects
Portraits, Group
Women
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Saint George Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1985-3-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4067
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4067
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1930
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada
Subjects
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada--Presidents
Portraits, Group
Women
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Saint George Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1985-3-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4066
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4066
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1930]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
Original photograph appeared in the Canadian Jewish Review.
Name Access
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada
Samuel, Mrs. Harry
Subjects
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada--Presidents
Portraits
Women
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Saint George Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1985-3-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1875
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1875
Material Format
graphic material
Date
March 2, 1927
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of the Beatrix Girls at a purim party at Council House, 44 St. George St. Identified in this photograph, seated at front left: Adelaide Cohen.
Name Access
Cohen, Adelaide
Beatrix Girls
St. George Street
Subjects
Parties
Portraits, Group
Purim
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Saint George Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-1-11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 33; Series 1; Item 32
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
Fonds
33
Series
1
Item
32
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1946]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 9 x 7 cm and 35 mm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph of Bill Stern and his first wife Laura (Rubinstein) Stern, standing in front of the Forestry building at St. George Street and College Street.
Subjects
Married people
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
College Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Saint George Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
2006-2-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 25
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
25
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-1920
Physical Description
56 architectural drawings : 13 pen on linen weave, 1 blueprint, 42 pencil, some on tracing paper ; 74 cm length or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Mendel Granatstein was a prominent member of one of the early Jewish families of Toronto. In 1895, he founded M. Granatstein and Sons, Ltd., a junk dealing company, and by the early 20th century, he had become one of the most prosperous Jews in Toronto. Mr. Granatstein was also a community leader, having a hand in the foundation of Beth Jacob Synagogue.
In 1919, Mr. Granatstein commissioned Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell to design a three storey Classical Georgian style house located at 42 St. George Street. This house also contained a retractable roof used on Sukkoth. In 1947, the house was acquired by the University of Toronto and was used for a variety of purposes until it was demolished in 1999. The Bahen Centre for Information Technology now stands in its place.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of the three storey, six bedroom mansion of Mr. Mendal Granatstein at 42 St. George Street. In addition to the bedrooms, the house contained a sunroom, a study, an enclosed porch, a large living room and a large dining room. Servants' quarters were located in the attic. Floor plans, sections, elevation drawings and drawings of alterations to the porch design are also included.
Notes
Drawings are located in two rolls, one containing the linen weave drawings, which are in good condition and the other containing the remainder, which are in very poor condition. Due to the fragility of these drawings, the description is partially based on the item level descriptions of Steve Speisman.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Many drawings are torn and in poor condition.
Places
Saint George Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
1485 Murphy Rd.
Source
Landmarks

Camp Moshava was founded in 1962 in the Kawartha Lakes Region on Lake Buckhorn. Affiliated with the Zionist youth movement B’nei Akiva, Moshava is one of several camps they operate in North America.
Address
1485 Murphy Rd.
Time Period
1962-present
Scope Note
Camp Moshava was founded in 1962 in the Kawartha Lakes Region on Lake Buckhorn. Affiliated with the Zionist youth movement B’nei Akiva, Moshava is one of several camps they operate in North America.
History
Historically, the primary aim of the movement was to promote avodah, specifically agricultural work in the field and aliyah, migration to Israel. Today, Camp Moshava provides an informal environment for campers to encounter Judaism through programming and observances that promote Torah education, prayer and Zionist ideals.
Category
Camps and Resorts
Source
Landmarks
Level
Item
ID
Item 460
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
460
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1932
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of members of the National Council of Jewish Juniors taken at 44 St. George Street, Toronto.
Name Access
National Council of Jewish Juniors
Subjects
Women
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Saint George Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
Acquired April 7, 1975.
Source
Archival Descriptions
8 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content