Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
1871 records – page 1 of 38.
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 31; Series 9; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
Fonds
31
Series
9
File
4
Material Format
textual record
Date
1922
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 31; Series 9; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
Fonds
31
Series
9
File
5
Material Format
textual record
Date
1919-1920, 1935
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 31; Series 9; File 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
Fonds
31
Series
9
File
10
Material Format
textual record
Date
1922-1939
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 31; Series 9; File 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
Fonds
31
Series
9
File
13
Material Format
textual record
Date
1922-1937
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 31; Series 9; File 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
Fonds
31
Series
9
File
16
Material Format
textual record
Date
1922-1952
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 31; Series 9; File 20
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Other committee meeting minutes and agendas series
Level
File
Fonds
31
Series
9
File
20
Material Format
textual record
Date
1922, 1944
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
General correspondence series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 31; Series 10; File 38
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
General correspondence series
Level
File
Fonds
31
Series
10
File
38
Material Format
textual record
Date
1922-1955
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Negotiations Committee series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 31; Series 5; File 32
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Negotiations Committee series
Level
File
Fonds
31
Series
5
File
32
Material Format
textual record
Date
1919-1921
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Negotiations Committee series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 31; Series 5; File 33
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Negotiations Committee series
Level
File
Fonds
31
Series
5
File
33
Material Format
textual record
Date
1922-1930
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Access Restriction
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing the records.
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Negotiations Committee series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 31; Series 5; File 52
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Negotiations Committee series
Level
File
Fonds
31
Series
5
File
52
Material Format
textual record
Date
1919-1965
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Access Restriction
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing the records.
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Negotiations Committee series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 31; Series 5; File 59
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Negotiations Committee series
Level
File
Fonds
31
Series
5
File
59
Material Format
textual record
Date
1922, 1924
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Access Restriction
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing the records.
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 33
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
33
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Date
[ca. 1913]-1984
Physical Description
264 photographs (98 negatives) : b&w and col. ; 28 x 35 cm or smaller
2 folders of textual records
Admin History/Bio
William (Bill) I. Stern (1921-2007) was born Izick Stern in Toronto on 24 February, 1921, to Moishe (Morris) Shternshis (ca. 1893-1976) and Fanny Rumianek (ca. 1896-1991). He was an active and respected member of both the Toronto and Hamilton Jewish communities.
Bill began his education in Toronto at Grace Street and Givens Street elementary schools. He later attended the Central Technical Institute for chemistry. In the late 1930s, Bill left Central Tech to work for his father, but eventually returned to school until the start of the Second World War. At this time, Bill enlisted in the Royal Canadian Airforce and served as a Leading Aircraftsman for three years in France, Belgium and Germany. At the end of the war, he returned to Central Tech and completed his junior matriculation (grade 12) in January of 1946. In December 1946, Bill married his first wife, Toronto-born Laura Rubinstein (1923-1963). The couple had two children, Hershel (1953-) and Sheila (1957-1996).
From 1946 to 1951, Bill studied social work at the University of Toronto through a government sponsored program for war veterans. When he graduated, he practiced social work at several community institutions such as the Children's Aid Society, the University Settlement House and St. Christopher House, in Toronto. In 1956, he was offered a position as director of activities for the Hamilton Jewish Community Centre (JCC). He remained in Hamilton at this post until 1960 and then returned to Toronto as a divisional director of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, where he initiated the fund's Social Planning Department. In 1963, upon the death of his wife Laura, Bill returned to Hamilton as the director of the JCC, and later the executive director of the Hamilton Council of Jewish Organizations (CJO), a position which he held for nine years from 1964 until 1973.
After two years with the United Jewish Welfare Fund of Buffalo, Bill returned to Toronto in 1975 and briefly served two years as the executive director of the Canadian Zionist Federation, Central Region. He then returned to private practice, working as a community consultant and later as a job placement coach at the University of Toronto's School of Social Work.
Bill was an active supporter of the Toronto Jewish Film Festival and the author of "You Don't Have to Be Jewish", a book on Jewish film. He held several positions with philanthropic organizations such as the United Jewish Welfare Fund, the Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest, and the Canadian Society for the Weizmann Institute of Science. He was also a volunteer at the Ontario Jewish Archives. Bill lived in Toronto with his second wife of more than thirty years, Elizabeth Uptegrove (1952-), until his passing on 18 April 2007.
Custodial History
Records were in the possession of Bill Stern until they were donated to the Archives.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of photographs documenting the Stern and Rumianek families, individuals and organizations from the Hamilton and Toronto Jewish communities, as well as Bill Stern and his fellow servicemen during the Second World War.
The fonds has been arranged into the following series: Family photographs; Military photographs; Hamilton Jewish community photographs; Toronto Jewish community photographs; and Camp photographs. The photographs have been described at the item level and have been arranged chronologically. The textual material consists of two files containing records related to Bill Stern's professional and philanthropic career, as well as some family invitations.
Related Material
See "Stern family" clipping file
Creator
Stern, William, 1921-2007
Accession Number
1980-2-1
1981-9-4
1985-6-6
1986-1-8
1991-5-5
1991-5-6
1994-1-4
2004-5-96
2004-5-135
2004-5-141
2005-5-2
2005-5-9
2006-2-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 33; Series 1; Item 15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
Fonds
33
Series
1
Item
15
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1929]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 15 x 10 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a portrait of the Stern family, taken at a photo studio in Toronto. Pictured are:
Back row, Sam Stern.
Middle row, left to right: Fanny Stern, Max Stern, Moishe Stern.
Front row, Bill Stern.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
2004-5-96
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 33; Series 1; Item 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
Fonds
33
Series
1
Item
12
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1925
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 14 x 9 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Admin History/Bio
Harry Glass was Joe and Esther (Rumianek) Glass' son.
Scope and Content
This item is a postcard photo of Bill Stern's cousin, Harry Glass, standing with Irving Ungerman's sister. Harry is dressed in a formal top hat and tails, and the young girl is dressed in a formal dress and veil and carrying a bouquet of flowers.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
2004-5-96
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 33; Series 1; Item 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
Fonds
33
Series
1
Item
11
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1925]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 14 x 9 cm
Admin History/Bio
Lebil Shternshis was Bill Stern's paternal grandfather. His aunt Peah was brought to Canada by his father Mosihe in 1927, while his aunt Rivka was brought in 1930. Peah later married a Tepperman and Rivka married Phillip Greenspan.
Scope and Content
This item is a postcard photo of the Shternshis family in Lagov, Poland. Pictured from left to right is Rivka, Lebil and Peah. There is writing in Yiddish on the verso of the card.
Name Access
Shternshis family
Shternshis, Lebil
Shternshis, Peah
Shternshis, Rivka
Subjects
Postcards
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Poland
Accession Number
2004-5-96
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 33; Series 1; Item 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
Fonds
33
Series
1
Item
10
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1924
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 35mm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy photograph of Bill Stern at age three, standing outside 306 Crawford Street.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
2004-5-96
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 33; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Series
Fonds
33
Series
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1913]-1976
Physical Description
84 photographs : b&w and col. (55 negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Bill Stern's father, Moishe (Morris) Shternshis (ca. 1893-1976), was born in Lagov, Poland, the son of Lebil and Rachel (Shedlovsky) Shternshis. He came to Canada in 1911, and upon his arrival, changed his surname to Stern. Bill Stern's mother, Fanny Rumianek (ca. 1896-1991), was born in Chmelelnick, Poland, the daughter of Moishe Hamelech and Golda (Zimmerman) Rumianek. The family arrived in Canada in 1913. Moishe and Fanny met a few years later, and were married at the Ostrovtzer Synagogue on Cecil Street on 16 December, 1916. The couple moved to Hamilton in 1917, but later returned to Toronto.
For over forty years, Moishe worked as a milkman. Beginning in 1921, he was the first Jewish independent milkman in Toronto. It was a profitable and successful venture for the Stern family, and as a result, Moishe founded a co-operative in 1944, with six other milkmen. Named the Alliance Dairy, the business was eventually bought by Borden's Creamery in 1966, and Moishe retired as a result. Fanny volunteered much of her time to organizations such as the Jewish Old Folks Home and Sunnybrook Hospital.
The first child born to Moishe and Fanny was Max Stern (1918-1997), who eventually joined the army, married Ruth Soles, and had two daughters, Bonnie and Janie. Today, Bonnie is a well-known Canadian cook-book author. Bill was the second child, born in 1921.
In 1923, Moishe brought his younger brother, Sam Stern (1912-1939), to Canada from Lagov, Poland. Although actually his uncle, Bill was raised knowing Sam as his brother. In 1933, Sam travelled to Palestine and founded the Ginosar Kibbutz, near Tibireus. He was killed six years later while on guard duty.
Scope and Content
This series consists of photographs documenting the Stern and Rumianek families. They include individual and group portraits, as well as snapshots of family events and gatherings.
The photographs have been arranged chronologically and have been described at the item level.
Accession Number
1980-2-1
1981-9-4
1986-1-8
1991-5-5
1991-5-6
2004-5-96
2004-5-135
2006-2-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 33; Series 1; Item 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
Fonds
33
Series
1
Item
14
Material Format
graphic material
Date
22 May 1926
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 14 cm x 19 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a studio photograph of Bill Stern's maternal uncle, Murray Rumack, (born Rumainek) holding a telephone.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
2004-5-135
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 33; Series 1; Item 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
Fonds
33
Series
1
Item
8
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1922]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 14 x 19 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a studio photograph of Bill Sten's paternal aunt, Toby (Stern) Melamed, wearing a winter coat and hat. The photograph was taken at L. Surdin's studio on Cameron Street.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
2004-5-135
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 33; Series 1; Item 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
Fonds
33
Series
1
Item
13
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1926
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 35 mm
Scope and Content
This item is a negative of Bill Stern at the age of five, seated in a toy pedal car. He is in the yard of his home at 306 Crawford Street.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
2006-2-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 33; Series 1; Item 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Family photographs series
Level
Item
Fonds
33
Series
1
Item
9
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1924
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 35 mm
Scope and Content
This item is a negative of Bill Stern as a young child standing on the front porch of 306 Crawford Street, with his older brother Max and his paternal aunt Toby (Stern) Melamed. All three are dressed in winter coats and hats.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
2004-5-96
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 33; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Level
File
Fonds
33
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1917-1934
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of one invitation to the wedding of Esther Rumianek and Joe Glass and an invitation to Bill Stern's bar mitzvah.
Subjects
Bar mitzvah
Invitation cards
Accession Number
1994-1-4
2004-5-135
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
Collection
ID
Fonds 34
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
Collection
Fonds
34
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1882-1996
Physical Description
58 cm of textual records
11 photographs : col. and b&w ; 28 x 36 cm or smaller
4 lantern slides : col. (hand painted) ; 5 x 8 cm
Admin History/Bio
Larry Becker (1939-1998) was a collector with a focus on his native Toronto. He grew up in central Toronto, near Dundas and Ossington, where his father ran a cigar store. Around 1948, the family moved north to Vaughan. Larry attended Lakeshore Teachers' College and married fellow teacher, Rose Weber, in 1961. He taught primary school in Welland, Ontario
Larry returned to Toronto in June 1965, and began collecting for profit and posterity. That year, with the active assistance of his wife Rose, opened the first of three businesses that sold collectables. Both his father and grandfather had been small-scale collectors. From 1965 to 1996, the growing Becker family lived at 25 Lesgay Crescent in North York. In December 1996, the Beckers moved to a larger place in the Kettleby countryside, where Larry had planned to retire and work on his collection
Larry Becker died on February 20th, 1998
Scope and Content
The collection consists of items collected by Larry Becker including postcards, bulletins from Ontario Jewish organizations, sermons, periodicals, books, hand painted lantern slides documenting scenes of Jews in early Toronto, and other material relating to Ontario's Jewry
Notes
Information for biographical sketch gathered and cited from "Collecting Toronto: Through the Eyes of Larry Becker" virtual exhibit from the City of Toronto website at: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/archives/becker_collections/
The lantern slides have been rehoused and moved to the negative cabinet.
Associated material note: The City of Toronto Archives has an extensive collection in the Larry Becker fonds, Fonds 70 (see Accession file for details)
Physical Condition
The textual records are in good condition. The colour photographs are suffering from severe dark fading and have taken on a distinct red cast.
Creator
Becker, Larry (1939-1998)
Accession Number
2002-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 49
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
49
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1902-1949
Physical Description
ca. 1500 architectural and technical drawings
6 photographs : b&w ; 38 x 30 cm or smaller
16 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Benjamin Brown (ca. 1888-1974) was the first practicing Jewish architect in Toronto. Born in what is now Lithuania, he arrived in Toronto at an early age and soon after, quit school to take a job in a garment manufacturing factory to help out his impoverished family. Not finding this career to his liking, Brown enrolled in the Ontario School of Art and Design with the intention of becoming an artist. When this profession proved financially unfeasible, Brown decided to pursue a career in architecture. After completing his high school equivalency, he enrolled in the University of Toronto architectural program, graduating in 1913. Soon after, Brown opened up a practice with fellow architect Robert McConnell, which lasted until the early 1920s. After the partnership ended, Brown set up an independent practice, which he maintained until his retirement in 1955.
Scope and Content
The fonds documents Brown’s design work and renovations of existing buildings through his original drawings, renderings, and building blueprints. The fonds consists of approximately 1500 drawings that are organized into about 150 projects. These projects include single-family residences, apartment buildings, commercial and industrial buildings, as well as synagogue and other community buildings. Many of Brown's buildings were designed in the Art Deco style, with some containing Georgian, Craftsman, Colonial Revival, Tudor and Romanesque elements.
Brown's most important commissions include the Beth Jacob Synagogue located on Henry Street, which was one the largest synagogues in Toronto, and the Balfour Building, an office tower built in the Art Deco style. The designs of Mendel Granatstein’s mansion, which contained a retractable roof for Sukkoth, and a colour sketch of the Primrose Club, which is currently the University of Toronto Faculty Club, may also be of interest to researchers. The fonds also includes some of Brown's files containing articles and illustrations from architecture and design journals of the early twentieth century, which he used as a resource to assist him with his work.
Fonds includes six photographs, one of the Balfour Building, one of Cumberland Hall, and four of Brown as a young man.
Notes
Architectural plans of a lead mine in Burnt River Ontario have been sent to the Kawartha Lakes Archives.
Name Access
Brown, Benjamin, 1888-1974
Creator
Brown, Benjamin, 1890-1974
Accession Number
1975
1987-9-3
1989-10-6
2004-5-109
2004-5-139
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
Fonds
49
Series
1
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[1915]-1940
Physical Description
174 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
Series consists of Benjamin Brown’s architectural plans and drawings of significant buildings designed or renovated for Toronto‘s Jewish community, including proposals that were never implemented. Contained within are renovation plans of the Beach Hebrew Institute synagogue, an ark design for the McCaul Street Synagogue, and the complete designs of the Henry Street Synagogue. The last of these projects is of particular significance, because it was the first synagogue in Toronto designed by a Jewish architect and was one of Brown‘s largest commissions. Drawings of the Primrose Club (a Jewish men’s club) and the Brunswick Talmud Torah Day School, as well as plans of Camp Yungvelt (a Jewish summer camp) are also included. Additionally, several preliminary sketches of synagogue facades are contained within.
The majority of these drawings are on tracing or drafting paper, several of which are in colour, and the remainder are either blueprints or drawn on cardboard. Floor plans, elevations, sections, foundation plans and sketches of building exterior facades and interiors are included. Additionally, there are drawings of windows, doors and synagogue arks.
Physical Condition
Several drawings and plans are in poor condition. See file level descriptions for further details.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-1922
Physical Description
136 architectural drawings : pencil, some hand col., watercolour, on linen weave and tracing paper ; 100 x 90 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Henry Street Beth Jacob Synagogue was founded by Toronto’s Polish-Jewish Community, as the successor of an older, smaller synagogue on Elm Street. It was the first synagogue in Toronto that was designed by a Jewish architect, Benjamin Brown. Located at 23 and 23 ½ Henry Street, the synagogue was dedicated in 1922, at a cost of $156,000, and could accommodate up to eight hundred worshippers. It was built in Romanesque style and was notable for its stained glass windows and retractable roof that was used on Sukkoth. It also contained a vaulted ceiling capped by a large dome and four smaller ones. The building was eventually sold and converted into a church. It is the current site of the Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Beth Jacob Synagogue. Contained within are basement, floor, stairwell and roof plans, load plans, sections, and elevation drawings. Also included are detailing of windows, the Ark, entrances and other structures and objects.
Notes
Most of the drawings are stored in four rolls, the remainder are encased in five sheets of Melinex. Due to the fragility of these drawings, the medium, extent and sizes of them are based on the descriptions compiled by Steve Speisman. It is recommended that a conservator examine these drawings.
Name Access
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Some drawings are frayed and torn.
Places
Henry Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1922]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col., watercolour, on cardboard backed paper ; 90 x 73 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah Day School was established in 1907 and was originally situated on Simcoe Avenue. In 1922 the school received a charter from the Province of Ontario and relocated to Brunswick Avenue the same year. The new school opened in 1925 as a non-denominational afternoon school. It was the precursor to the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto.
Scope and Content
File consists of one drawing of the exterior of the Brunswick Avenue Talmud Torah.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Related Material
See File 49-5-13 for plans of the Yorkville Talmud Torah Day School in New York, designed by Benjamin W. Levitan.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
4
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1924]
Physical Description
9 architectural drawings : pencil, 6 hand col. pastel, 7 on tracing paper ; 36 x 50 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The building housing the Beach Hebrew Institute synagogue was built in 1895, when it was the site of the Kenilworth Avenue Baptist Church. In 1920, the building was purchased by the Beth Jacob congregation. A few years later, the building was renovated. The building received an upstairs gallery overlooking the sanctuary, a new basement layout and a new façade designed by W.G. Hunt. By the 1970s, the synagogue was in a state of disrepair and in danger of being abandoned. The synagogue was saved through a successful fund-raising drive.
Scope and Content
File consists of Benjamin Brown's proposed designs for the 1920s renovations of the Beach Hebrew Institute. These plans were not implemented. Contained within are sketches of various proposed entrances and frontages for the Beach Hebrew Institute. Proposed designs of the Ark are also included.
Notes
It is possible that Item #16 is a design for the Ark of the Beach Hebrew Institute.
Name Access
Beach Hebrew Institute (Toronto, Ont.)
Physical Condition
Drawings are fragile, several are torn.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
5
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1920
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : 1 pen on linen weave and 5 pencil ; 54 x 54 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of Benjamin Brown's designs for a proposed synagogue. The designs were likely created before the congregation had purchased land or secured an architect. The congregation did not end up using Benjamin Brown as the architect. Included are floor plans, sections, and a rough sketch of the exterior.
Physical Condition
Drawings are brittle and fragile. One drawing is badly torn.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
Fonds
49
Series
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-[1935]
Physical Description
327 architectural and technical drawings
Scope and Content
Series consists of Benjamin Brown’s architectural drawings of personal residences that were either designed or renovated for real estate developers, landlords or the occupants themselves. The majority of the buildings were designed for a Jewish clientele, many of whom were prominent citizens, including Louis Gelber and Mendel Granatstein. Brown also created designs for his own personal residence on Castle Frank Crescent, however the home was never completed. Most of the houses he designed or renovated were located in the Annex, Forest Hill, Casa Loma or Hillcrest neighborhoods. Many were designed with elements of Georgian, Craftman, Colonial Revival and/or Tudor architectural styles. They ranged from three storey mansions to small duplexes and single story homes. The vast majority of his commissions were standard three or four bedroom two storey homes.
The majority of these drawings are on tracing or drafting paper, several of which are in colour and the remainder are either blueprints or drawn on cardboard. Plans, sketches, elevations, sections, detailing and technical drawings of the residences are included.
Physical Condition
Several drawings are in poor condition. See file level descriptions for further details.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
Series
Fonds
49
Series
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
textual record
Date
1919-1949
Physical Description
ca. 1000 architectural and technical drawings
2 photographs : b&w ; 38 x 30 cm or smaller
1 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of architectural and technical drawings of commercial buildings that Benjamin Brown either designed or altered. Most of Brown’s clients were Jewish owned businesses, several of which were run by prominent members of the community. These businesses included Imperial Optical, Gelber Brothers Woolens, the City Dye Works, Schipper Brothers Furs, and the Empire Clothing Company.
Architectural plans of apartments, warehouses, theatres, service stations, banks, restaurants, stores, office towers, a bakery and a laundry are included. Several of these buildings are now designated as Toronto heritage buildings. These include the Balfour Building, the Hermant Building (eastern tower), the Hermant Annex, the Commodore Building and the Standard Theatre. Also included are plans of the headquarters of Famous Players Canada, which later became a subsidiary of Cineplex Odeon.
The majority of the drawings are either blueprints or pencil drawings on tracing or drafting paper, several of which are also in colour. Some are on linen weave or cardboard. Plans, elevations, sections, sketches, detailing, photographs of building exteriors, building specifications, and technical drawings of the buildings are included.
Physical Condition
Several drawings are in poor condition. See file level descriptions for further details.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
5
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1929
Physical Description
8 architectural drawings : 1 blueprint, 7 pencil on tracing paper, some hand col. pencil crayon ; 44 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Joseph Goldenberg was the owner of a dwelling and kosher restaurant located at 63 Elizabeth Street. After selling it in 1925, he purchased a new kosher restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue. Alterations and additions to the restaurant were made in 1929 and 1934 respectively.
Scope and Content
File consists of several floor plans and elevation drawings.
Related Material
See File 49-3-84 for the architectural drawings of the 1934 alterations to Mr. Goldenberg's restaurant at 275 Spadina Avenue.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
1
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1922
Physical Description
9 architectural and technical drawings : 8 blueprints, 1 pencil on tracing paper ; 53 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a four bedroom, two storey home for Mr. Ira Levy at 30 Dunvegan Road. The home also contained a sun room and an attached garage. Floor plans, elevations and a basement heating plan are included.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
17
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1925]
Physical Description
1 architectural drawing : pencil and hand col. pastel on verso of blueprint ; 47 cm length and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mrs. Celia Cherry was the wife of Isadore Cherry, who was the owner of several ladies clothing shops along Dundas and Bloor. Mrs. Cherry died in 1927, aged 39.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Cherry's clothing store at 1014 Bloor St. West. Contained within are a floor plan and a high quality pastel drawing of the front exterior, on the back of a previously used blueprint.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 19
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
19
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1921
Physical Description
10 architectural drawings : ink on linen weave ; 51 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Nathan Rosenberg was the owner of several ladies' and children's clothing stores in downtown Toronto. Nathan, along with his brother Simon, were the co-owners of the Dainty Dress Company at 317 Adelaide West. He also owned the Exclusive Ladies Garment Company at 221 Richmond Street and was the president of the Exclusive Children's Cloak Company, which was headquartered at 44 York Street.
Scope and Content
File consists of various floor plans, sections and elevation drawings of a large three storey clothing store for Mr. Nathan Rosenberg on Dundas Street West. In 1925, Nathan Rosenberg owned Campbell Women's Wear, located at 124 & 130 Dundas St. West. These may be the drawings for this building.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
13
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1925]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 43 cm length or smaller and 3 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of alterations to the rear of the single storey home of Mrs. D. Jaffey. Contained within are a floor plan, an elevation drawing, and a block plan.
Notes
The name that appears on the project is Mrs. D. Jafey.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 28
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
28
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
1922-1924
Physical Description
23 architectural and technical drawings :19 pencil, 4 blueprints ; 61 cm length or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The City Dye Works was a cleaning and dying company that was owned and managed by Solomon Zaid and Isaac Siderson. In additions to their cleaning and dying services, the company sponsored a weekly 15 minute radio program each Wednesday on CFCA radio.
Scope and Content
File consists of plans, drawings, building permit receipts, and specifications of a large single storey factory located at 138-146 Claremont Street for the City Dye Works. Elevation views, floor plans, sections, and a drawing of the piping system are included.
Notes
Drawings are in two separate rolls.
Formerly listed as Commission X.
Physical Condition
One of the receipts is torn in half.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
4
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca. 1928]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : pencil, 1 hand col., watercolour ; 51 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Abraham M. Schiffer along with his partner, Mr. William Leibel, were the co-owners of Empire Clothing Co., and Cornell Tailored Clothing Ltd. Both businesses were located at 197/199 Spadina Avenue in the Empire Clothing Building, which was named after their company.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a private garage for Mr. Abraham M. Schiffer located at 82 Admiral Road. Sections, a floor plan and two front elevation drawings are included, one of which is in colour.
Physical Condition
Material is fragile.
Related Material
See File 49-3-94 for plans of additions and alterations to the office headquarters of the Empire Clothing Company at 197/199 Spadina Avenue.
See File 49-3-69 for plans of a building for Empire Clothing at Spadina Avenue and Adelaide Street.
See File 49-2-6 for plans of alterations to home of Mr. William Leibel.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 29
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
29
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1926
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil ; 62 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Sol Wilks was the owner of a stationary store and two commercial/residential buildings. One building was located at the corner of Robina and St. Clair and the other at 1034 St. Clair, where he also resided.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings for stores and an apartment building located on the N.W. corner of Robina and St. Clair for Mr. Sol Wilks. The building was three stories high and contained one, two bedroom suite and four, one bedroom suites. Floor plans and elevations are included.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
6
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1922
Physical Description
4 architectural drawings : pencil on tracing paper ; 45 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Abraham M. Schiffer along with his partner Mr. William Leibel were the co-owners of the Empire Clothing Co., and Cornell Tailored Clothing Ltd. Both businesses were located at 197/199 Spadina Avenue in the Empire Clothing Building, which was named after their company.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of alterations to the home of Mr. William Leibel at 90 Admiral Road. A block plan, sections and an elevation drawing are included.
Related Material
See File 49-2-4 for plans of private garage for Mr. Abraham M. Schiffer.
See File 49-3-94 for plans of additions and alterations to the office headquarters of the Empire Clothing Company at 197/199 Spadina Avenue.
See File 49-3-69 for plans of a building for Empire Clothing at Spadina Avenue and Adelaide Street.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 35
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
35
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1924
Physical Description
7 architectural drawings : blueprints ; 41 cm length or smaller and 8 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of an apartment building located on Beverley St. for Mr. Benjamin Brown (in trust). Floor plans, sections and elevation drawings are included.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 43
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
43
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1924
Physical Description
14 architectural drawings : 3 blueprints, 11 pencil, some hand col., pencil crayon, 8 on tracing paper ; 58 cm length or smaller and 6 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Mooney Mirochnick was a Jewish druggist who owned several drugstores in Toronto at various times. Stores were located at 472 College Street, 267 Queen Street West, 162 Palmerston Avenue and 50 Arthur Street. Mr. Mirochnick died in November 1945.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of additions and alterations to a two storey building containing stores and apartments for Mr. Mooney Mirochnick. Floor plans, a lot plan, a section and elevation drawings of the building are included.
Notes
811 Dundas Street West was an alternate address for this building.
Related Material
See File 49-3-44 for the architectural drawings of additions and alterations to the store located at 50 Arthur Street,
See File 49-3-45 for drawings of the garage of the Arthur Street building.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 42
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
42
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1925]
Physical Description
2 architectural drawings : blueprints ; 54 cm length or smaller and 3 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
John H. McKnight had an office at 600 Bay Street, in the same building as Benjamin Brown.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans and elevation drawings.
Related Material
See File 49-3-9 for architectural drawings of a gasoline service station for Mr. John H. McKnight.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 45
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
45
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1920]
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : ink on linen weave ; 59 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Admin History/Bio
Mr. Mooney Mirochnick was a Jewish druggist who owned several drugstores in Toronto at various times. Stores were located at 472 College Street, 267 Queen Street West, 162 Palmerston Avenue and 50 Arthur Street. Mr. Mirochnick died in November 1945.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a new garage for Mr. Mirochnick at 50 Arthur street. Drawings were completed by Benjamin Brown and Robert McConnell, whom at the time were partners. Floor plans, a section, elevation drawings and a foundation plan are included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-43 for the architectural drawings of additions and alterations to the store located at 162 Palmerston Avenue.
See File 49-3-44 for drawings of additions and alterations to the Arthur Street building.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 49
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
49
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1929
Physical Description
10 architectural and technical drawings : 1 blueprint, 9 pencil, 1 hand col. pencil crayon, 1 on tracing paper ; 55 cm length or smaller and 7 cm diam
1 photograph : b&w ; 25 x 20 cm
Admin History/Bio
Cumberland Hall was built in the late nineteenth century. In the late 1920s, the first floor was renovated by Benjamin Brown. At that time, the building was home to Uptown Cleaners and Dyers, Rosedale Sweets Tea Rooms and the Canadian Brotherhood of Chauffeurs. The building was torn down and replaced by a large commercial building around 1967.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of alterations to the first floor of Cumberland Hall at 824 Yonge Street for University Investments Limited. Floor plans, elevation drawings and technical drawings of structural elements of the building are included. A photograph of the building exterior is also included.
Related Material
See File 49-3-101 for architectural drawings of a store and office building at the N.E. corner of College and Spadina for University Investments Limited.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
5
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1923
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings : pencil, 1 hand col., watercolour, 2 on tracing paper ; 46 cm length or smaller and 5 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File contains architectural drawings of alterations to the two storey house, and a new garage for Mr. Frank S. Hutner. It is unknown whether the new garage was completed, since similar plans exist for a new garage to be shared by Mr. Hutner and Mr. Doidge at about the same time. Elevation drawings, a section, a block plan and watercolour drawings of windows and stairs are included.
Related Material
See File 49-2-12 for plans of garage to be shared by Mr. Hutner and Mr. Doidge.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 51
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
51
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1923
Physical Description
6 architectural drawings : pencil ; 43 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a two storey building for Mr. Charles Pusitz at 329 Queen Street East. The building contained a store on the ground floor and a two bedroom dwelling on the second floor. Floor plans, a block plan and an elevation drawing are included.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 53
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
53
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1928
Physical Description
5 architectural drawings : 4 blueprints, 1 pencil on tracing paper ; 42 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans.
Physical Condition
Tracing paper is torn and crumbling.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 3; File 54
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Commercial building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
3
File
54
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1926
Physical Description
22 architectural drawings : 12 blueprints, 10 pencil on tracing paper, 1 hand col. pencil crayon ; 55 cm length or smaller and 10 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of a six storey apartment building designed in the Art Deco style. Elevations, floor plans and a block plan are included.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission V.
Physical Condition
Tracing paper is torn and fragile.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 2; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Residential building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
2
File
12
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
[ca.1924]
Physical Description
3 architectural drawings : blueprints ; 55 cm length or smaller and 4 cm diam.
Scope and Content
File consists of a block plan, floor plan and elevation drawings of a garage to be shared by Mr. Hutner and Mr. Doidge, at 410 and 412 Brunswick Avenue respectively. It is unknown if this structure was built, since Benjamin Brown created plans of a private garage for Mr. Hutner at approximately the same time.
Notes
Formerly listed as Commission 1.
Physical Condition
Material is torn.
Related Material
See File 49-2-5 for plans of alterations to Mr. Hutner's house and the plans for his private garage.
Source
Archival Descriptions
1871 records – page 1 of 38.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content