Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
135 records – page 1 of 3.
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Men's Service Group series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 14; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Men's Service Group series
Level
Series
Fonds
14
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1957-2005
Physical Description
82 cm of textual records
6 photographs
2 posters
Admin History/Bio
The Men’s Service Group (MSG) of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care was established in 1956 to assist Baycrest with both its fundraising and public relations activities. It also supplied volunteers to help run programs and services for Baycrest’s residents and patients, and acted as a training ground for future lay leaders of Baycrest. Herbert J. Weiss served as the founding president and was succeeded by Charles A. Grosberg in 1960.
The MSG’s activities included driving residents to events, organizing special outings to the theatre, concerts, or sporting events, planning a monthly Sunday Brunch for residents and patients, assisting with recreational programming at Baycrest, and meeting with organizations across Ontario, such as synagogues and service clubs, to disseminate information about Baycrest. The MSG also planned an annual Family Carnival and picnic for residents and their families and organized a variety of fundraising projects, such as its annual Honour Roll publication, an annual Fun Run (now known as the Baycrest Challenge), a letter and greeting card service, garage sales, and the sale of Yarmulkes made by residents. Today the MSG continues to plan and run many of its early projects and services.
Scope and Content
Series consists of textual and graphic material documenting the formation, governance, and activities of the Men's Service Group. Included are meeting notices, agendas, and minutes, reports, speeches, invitations, programs, correspondence, press releases, newspaper clippings, brochures, publications, financial records, newsletters, flyers, cards, certificates, photographs, posters, and cards.
Series is arranged into the following nine sub-series: 1. Board of Directors and Executive Committee; 2. Annual and general meetings; 3. Committees; 4. Fundraising; 5. Membership; 6. Public relations and publicity; 7. Honour Roll; 8. Programs and events; and, 9. Administrative functions.
Name Access
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. Men's Service Group
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Board of Jewish Education series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 95; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Board of Jewish Education series
Level
Series
Fonds
95
Series
1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1954-1983
Physical Description
8 cm of textual records
4 photographs
Admin History/Bio
Established in 1949 as the Bureau of Jewish Education, the Board of Jewish Education (BJE) is the central Jewish agency in Toronto whose mandate is to preserve, enrich, and promote Jewish education in the Greater Toronto area. Its primary tasks are to coordinate and provide leadership in teacher training and professional development, curriculum development, school administration, and inter-school activities, and also to allocate funds to affiliated Jewish schools raised through the annual UJA Federation fundraising campaign.
The BJE was established following the recommendations of a 1948 study of Jewish education in Toronto undertaken by Dr. Uriah Z. Engelman of the American Association for Jewish Education, and sponsored by the United Jewish Welfare Fund and the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC), Central Region. In its constitution, the bureau was described as having the dual characteristics of being an autonomous agency of the UJWF and also as acting for the UJWF in the field of Jewish education. The bureau was governed by a board of governors with representatives from affiliated schools, the UJWF, CJC Central Region, and from the community at large. The inaugural meeting of the board took place on 20 March 1950. The BJE served 21 day and supplementary schools at its founding.
During the 1950s and early 1960s, the BJE sponsored adult education programs in Toronto through the Institute for Jewish Studies, in collaboration with the Jewish Community Centre (JCC) and CJC. The BJE also provided assistance and advice to the CJC in support of Jewish education in the smaller Jewish communities in Ontario. The BJE's role in adult education diminished significantly after its reorganization in 1968, but this again became a responsibility for the BJE in the late 1990s.
Although its primary function is to support existing educational institutions, the BJE has also participated in establishing several new institutions in Toronto. In 1953, to meet the need for qualified teachers in affiliated schools, the BJE and CJC Central Region founded a Jewish teachers' seminary (Midrasha L'Morim) in Toronto, which was jointly funded by the BJE and CJC for many years. In 1960, the BJE and UJWF sponsored the establishment of a non-denominational Jewish high school, the Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto (CHAT), with the BJE Executive Director as its director. In 1978, the Orah School for Jewish Children from the Soviet Union was established by the BJE, to meet the special needs of the large numbers of recent immigrants from the Soviet Union.
Dr. Alexander Brown worked for the BJE for over 20 years. His involvement began in 1957 when he became a consultant to the BJE. In the late 1960s, he became the BJE’s Associate Director, a position he held until the early 1980s. He also served as Dean of the Midrasha L’Morim and was a member of its faculty.
Scope and Content
Series consists of textual and graphic material documenting Dr. Alexander Brown's involvement with Toronto's Board of Jewish Education. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, reports, studies, proposals, statistics, financial records, correspondence, programmes, invitations, a news release, flyers, applications, publications, booklets, a directory, lists, and photographs.
Notes
Photographers and photography studios are identified on the photographs.
Related Material
See also Fonds 48.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 95; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto series
Level
Series
Fonds
95
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1945-1982
Physical Description
37 cm of textual records
84 photographs
1 print
Admin History/Bio
The non-denominational and Zionist Toronto Hebrew Religious School (the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto ‘s precursor) was established in 1907 to provide Jewish children with a Jewish education based on Torah values. Originally situated on Simcoe Street, the school moved to Brunswick Avenue in 1925. As the Jewish population in the city grew, additional branches of the school were opened throughout the city. Although classes were originally taught five days a week in the evenings, the first day school opened in 1943 with 25 students. The Associated Hebrew Day School expanded in the late 1950s to include a junior high, and in the 1960s the Community Hebrew High School (now TannenbaumCHAT) opened. Dr. Alexander Brown began his career with Associated as the Principal of Shaarei Shomayim Hebrew School from 1942 to 1948. He later served as Principal at Associated.
Scope and Content
Series consists of textual and graphic material documenting Dr. Alexander Brown's involvement with the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, reports, speeches, articles, press releases, publications, correspondence, photographs, invitations, programmes, financial records, statistics, lists, constitutions, and educational resources.
Notes
Photographers and photography studios are identified on the photographs.
Name Access
Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto
Physical Condition
Many of the photographs have begun curling along the edges and have become stiff due to poor storage conditions. Some photographs also have had sections cut out of them.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
United Jewish Welfare Fund Study Committee on Jewish Education series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 95; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
United Jewish Welfare Fund Study Committee on Jewish Education series
Level
Series
Fonds
95
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
Date
1972-[ca. 1980]
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of textual records documenting Dr. Alexander Brown's participation on the UJWF's Study Committee on Jewish Education. Included are meeting notices and minutes, correspondence, reports, studies, and questionnaires.
Related Material
For other material at the OJA related to the UJWF's Study Committee, please see Fonds 67, series 9-3.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Jewish communal activities series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 95; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Jewish communal activities series
Level
Series
Fonds
95
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1934-1982, predominant 1958-1982
Physical Description
7 cm of textual records
37 photographs
Scope and Content
Series consists of textual records documenting Dr. Alexander Brown's various Jewish communal activities. Included are meeting minutes, speeches, publications, correspondence, invitations, flyers, photographs, biographies, newspaper clippings, brochures, a list, and a programme.
Notes
Photographers and photography studios are identified on the photographs.
Physical Condition
A number of the photographs are starting to curl along the edges and have become stiff due to poor storage conditions.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
David Vanek fonds
Personal records series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 1; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
David Vanek fonds
Personal records series
Level
Series
Fonds
1
Series
1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1906-1999
Physical Description
6 cm of textual records
4 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Series includes correspondence and documents pertaining to the Vanek family in Russia and their early years in Ontario, recent letters from a cousin concerning family genealogy, personal letters from Vanek to his wife with anecda, as well as correspondence concerning personal and professional matters from colleagues and friends.There is also an itinerary and notes from a judges' trip to China that took place in 1983, and several photographs of the Vanek family.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
David Vanek fonds
Occupational records series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 1; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
David Vanek fonds
Occupational records series
Level
Series
Fonds
1
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1946-1990
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
2 photographs : b&w and col. ; 21 x 26 cm and 9 x 12 cm
Admin History/Bio
David Vanek attended the University of Toronto School of Law, and subsequently was a lecturer in that school for one academic year. Twenty years later he was appointed Provincial Court Judge, Criminal Division, and served on the bench for twenty-one years.
Scope and Content
The material includes articles and correspondence pertaining to his education and career at the University of Toronto School of Law, and career as a Provincial Court Judge. The address David Vanek delivered at his retirement dinner, and several photographs taken during the period of his time on the bench are included.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
David Vanek fonds
Community organizations series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 1; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
David Vanek fonds
Community organizations series
Level
Series
Fonds
1
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1957-1996
Physical Description
2 folders of textual records
3 photographs : b&w and col. ; 21 x 26 cm and 15 x 18 cm and 10 x 14 cm
Admin History/Bio
David Vanek was involved in a number of community organizations, several of which he helped to establish. These included Temple Sinai in the 1950s. In 1963 he ran for the Ontario Provincial Legislature but failed to win his seat. He was a founder of the Lawrence Manor Ratepayers Association, and of the Credit Counselling Service of Metropolitan Toronto.
Scope and Content
The material consists of publicity brochures, newspaper clippings, correspondence and photographs documenting Vanek's association with various organizations.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
1
Material Format
multiple media
Date
[ca. 1900]-2000
Physical Description
49 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell, the son of Paul and Mollie Edell, was one of five siblings. He and Dolly Weinstock, the daughter of Moishe and Sylvia Weinstock, had two daughters and two sons and lived in Toronto. After Dolly died in 1961, he married Celia (nee Rogen) Hoffman, a widow, in 1966. He became the stepfather to the two sons of Max and Celia Hoffman who had been residents of Hamilton. Some members of the family remained in Toronto while others moved to other parts of Canada, the United States and Israel. Sol Edell was actively involved in or provided financial support to many educational, professional and religious organizations.
Scope and Content
Series includes correspondence, invitations, publications, photographs, family films and a sound recording. The series is made up of seven sub-series: Associations, Charities, Community Activities, Education and Extra-Curricular Activities, Life Cycle and Family Events, Religious, and Residence.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 12 photographs, 7 film reels, 1 audio reel, 1 plaque, 4 badges, and 47 architectural drawings.
Name Access
Hoffman, Max
Hoffman, Celia
Rho Pi Phi
Harbord Collegiate
Subjects
Education
Greek letter societies
Physical Condition
Film and sound reels should be digitized.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1955-[ca. 1983]
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
24 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
Elmdale Investments Ltd. was a corporation founded by Sol Edell in 1958. Sol Edell was the majority owner, although its shareholders also included his first wife Dolly, his second wife Celia and his father-in-law Moishe Weinstock. It was through this company that Sol Edell developed the Elmhurst Plaza property and managed the plaza. The corporation was still in existence at the time of Sol Edell’s death.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence and blueprints relating to the purchase of the property in 1956 and the construction of the Elmhurst Plaza in 1957. There are contracts and financial records dealing with the maintenance and rental of the plaza. Among the tenants listed were Oshawa Food Wholesalers and Power Supermarkets. The series also contains information about the shareholders of Elmdale Investments, Sol Edell's business cards, and company stationery.
Name Access
Elmdale Investments
Elmhurst Plaza
Oshawa Food Wholesalers
Power Supermarkets
Weinstock, Moishe
Subjects
Architecture
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1964-1993
Physical Description
8 cm of textual records
7 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
In 1964, Sol Edell invested in a retail textile store, Deltex Draperies Ltd., which had been founded by a group of businessmen including his cousin, Israel Edell. In 1971, they opened a second store, Dodd's Draperies Ltd., and in 1979, the two companies merged under the name Dodd’s Draperies Ltd.. In 1987, the store closed and the building was sold. During their lengthy business association, Israel Edell supervised the day-to-day operation of the stores while Sol Edell was responsible for the overall financial management and the construction of the new premises at 1445 Bathurst Street.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, minute books, documents of incorporation and stock certificates relating to the establishment of both Deltex Draperies and Dodd’s Draperies and the eventual merger of the two stores. In addition, series includes minutes and financial reports dealing with the operation of both companies. Also included are correspondence and blueprints relating to the construction of the building at 1445 Bathurst Street as well as the sale of that building.
Name Access
Deltex Draperies Ltd.
Dodd's Draperies Ltd.
Edell, Israel
Subjects
Business
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Adas Israel Synagogue series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
5
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1958-2008
Physical Description
21 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Adas Israel is an orthodox congregation that was founded in the 1920s. The original building was on Cannon Street in downtown Hamilton. After the arrival of Rabbi Morton Green in 1958, a decision was made to move the synagogue to the western suburbs of Hamilton. The new building was built in 1961 and also included the Hamilton Hebrew Academy Day School. Since its move, synagogue membership has increased from 75 families to 350 families. Sol Edell became a member in 1966 after he married Celia Hoffman who was a member of the congregation. He did not attend the synagogue and had no regular involvement but did supervise a number synagogue renovation projects.
Custodial History
The material in this series was originally collected by the Hoffman family who were members of the congregation in the 1960s. Sol Edell became a member of the congregation after his marriage to Celia Hoffman in 1966. After her death in 1973, he inherited the material that she had collected and he continued to receive material from the congregation since he maintained his membership until his death in 2000.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, blueprints, photographs, audiotapes and films relating to the establishment and construction of the new synagogue in 1961. It also includes correspondence and anniversary books documenting a variety of synagogue activities such as the dedication of the synagogue and a tribute dinner honouring Rabbi Mordechai Green. Also included are synagogue bulletins from 1958 to 2000. The series is made up of 6 sub series: Building, Clergy, Religious, Programmes, Administration and Finance, and Publications.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 27 photographs, 3 audio reels, 1 film reel, 15 architectural drawings, and 1 key.
Name Access
Green, Morton, Rabbi
Hoffman, Celia
Hamilton Hebrew Academy Day School
Subjects
Architecture
Education
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Clanton Park Synagogue series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Clanton Park Synagogue series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
6
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1953-2008
Physical Description
54 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Clanton Park Synagogue was an orthodox synagogue that began as a shteibel in 1955 in the newly built up area of North York. Originally, services were held in homes or rented quarters. In 1957, land was purchased on Lowesmoor Avenue, and in 1961, the synagogue building was dedicated. The congregation, which initially consisted of 20 families, has grown steadily over the years and now has a membership of over 300 families. Sol Edell was one of the founding members of Clanton Park. He was president of the synagogue and served on the Board. He was involved in the purchase of the property and supervised the construction, the renovation and upkeep of the building. As well, he was active in the programmes sponsored by the synagogue such as the Long Life Club, which provided activities for seniors. He attended services on a daily basis and retained his membership until his death in 2000.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, architectural drawings, and films relating to the establishment, construction and renovation of Clanton Park Synagogue. It also includes correspondence, anniversary books, photographs, films and videotapes of various synagogue activities and events including: religious celebrations, social programs, anniversary dinners and rabbinical installations. Also included are synagogue bulletins and membership lists as well as financial and legal records. Finally, series also consists of architectural drawings and textual records documenting Clanton Park's cemetery and Sisterhood.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 648 photographs, 16 architectural drawings, 4 slides, 7 audio cassettes, 5 audio reels, 5 film reels, and 4 videocassettes (VHS).
Name Access
Long Life Club
North York
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
7
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1913-1999
Physical Description
22 cm of textual records
4 architectural drawings
2 photographs
Admin History/Bio
Shomrai Shabbos is an orthodox congregation which was founded in 1896. Sol Edell’s grandfather, Rabbi Yosef Weinreb, served as rabbi of the congregation from 1900 until 1942. The synagogue was in several downtown locations until it moved to its present location on Glengrove Avenue in North York in 1966. The congregation has grown steadily over the years and now has a membership of over 350 families. Sol Edell’s family were members of the congregation when he was a child. Although he retained his membership in the congregation after his marriage, he rarely attended the services at the synagogue. However, he did continue to participate in fundraising on behalf of the synagogue.
Custodial History
The earlier records were collected by Sol's grandfather, Rabbi Yosef Weinreb, or his father, Paul Edell. After their deaths, Sol maintained his membership in the congregation and continued to receive material from the synagogue.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the establishment, construction, membership and activities of the Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue. Included is correspondence, speeches, technical drawings, financial records, ledgers, a tribute book, legal records, flyers, bulletins, marriage certificate receipts, certificates, invitations, a photograph, and stationary.
Name Access
Felder, Gedalia, Rabbi
Yosef, Weinreb, Rabbi
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
8
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1978-2008
Physical Description
17 cm of textual records
102 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell had always been an active Zionist and in 1979 his son, Simcha, immigrated to Isreal. Following his son's aliyah, he became the founding chairman of the Aliyah Support Committee of the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and an active member of the local chapter of the Parents of North American Israelis. These two organizations respectively provide support for Torontonians and North Americans who have immigrated to Israel. This support includes facilitating the immigration process, providing financial assistance and maintaining contacts between the immigrants and the Toronto Jewish community. He was also involved with a group of Mizrachi members who wanted to build a housing project in Israel. Simcha Edell was an active member of the Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel which is an Israeli based organization that assists immigrants from North America. Sol Edell served as a liaison between this organization and the Toronto Jewish community. In addition, Simcha Edell, with his father’s assistance, published a directory of former Torontonians living in Israel, the Directory of Toronto Olim.
Scope and Content
The series consists of material relating to the assistance provided by the Toronto Jewish community to Torontonians who had immigrated to Israel. Included are records documenting the Aliyah Support Committee of the Toronto Jewish Congress, the Parents of North American Israelis, and the Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel. Records include correspondence, meeting notices, agendas and minutes, reports, publications, newspaper clippings, and Olim directories. Also included are architectural drawings of a housing project in Israel.
Name Access
Aliyah Support Committee, Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto
Parents of North American Israelis
Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel
Simcha Edell
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Cemeteries and funeral homes series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Cemeteries and funeral homes series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
9
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1953-2000
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
One of Sol Edell’s interests was ensuring the preservation of Jewish cemeteries. He was the president of the Jones Avenue cemetery, a member of the Board of Pardes Shalom and also served as chair of the Cemetery Committee of Clanton Park. He designed the archway at the entrance to Clanton Park's section located in the Roselawn Cemetery. He was also the synagogue’s representative on the Board of Directors of Steeles College Memorial Park.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence relating to the operation of various cemeteries and funeral homes including the Jones Avenue Cemetery, which was established in the late Nineteenth century. Also included is correspondence and financial reports from Steeles College Memorial Park. As well, there is a plot map of the International Workmen's Circle section in the Mount Sinai Cemetery, Bathurst Lawn Cemetery and Jones Avenue Cemetery. Finally, there are photographs of the Pardes Shalom Cemetery and three audio-visual recordings of Jones Avenue Cemetery.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 11 photographs, 4 architectural drawings, and 3 videocassettes.
Name Access
Pardes Shalom
Dawes Road
Jones Avenue
International Workmen's Circle
Roselawn
Steeles College Memorial Chapel
Mount sinai Cemetery
Subjects
Cemeteries
Funeral homes
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Heritage series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Heritage series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
10
Material Format
multiple media
Date
[1967?]-1993
Physical Description
34 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell was active in the collection, preservation and exhibition of historical material relating to the history of Canadian Jewry. He was one of the founders and Chair of the Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region / Toronto Jewish Congress Archives (later the Ontario Jewish Archives). Among his achievements were the restoration of the Kiever Synagogue and organizing the showing of the exhibit Journey into Our Heritage. In addition, he was a financial supporter of the Baycrest Museum, the Jewish Historical Society of Canada and a member of the Toronto Jewish Historical Society.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Sol Edell's heritage related activities, particularly his involvement with the Ontario Jewish Archives. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, correspondence, financial and legal records, photographs, flyers, press releases, brochures, administrative records, reports, lists, notes, sound records, architectural drawings, exhibit material, grant applications, invitations, and programmes.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 10 photographs, 3 audio cassettes, and 5 architectural drawings.
Name Access
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region / Toronto Jewish Congress Archives
Toronto Jewish Historical Society
Historical Society of Western Canada
Baycrest Heritage Museum
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Journey into Our Heritage
Subjects
Architecture
Nonprofit organizations
Synagogues
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
11
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1950-2010
Physical Description
77 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
In addition to his ongoing involvement with Clanton Park, the Canadian Jewish Congress Archives, the Aliyah Support Group, Jones Avenue Cemetery, Shomrai Shabbos and Adas Israel, Sol Edell undertook special projects on behalf of a wide array of Jewish organizations. These include cultural (Toronto Cantorial Scholarship Fund), educational (Netivot Hatorah and Yeshivat Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot), religious (Union of Jewish Orthodox Congregations), social welfare (Association of Jewish Seniors and Co-Ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly) and Zionist (Canadian Friends of Yeshivat Hakotel and State of Israel Bonds) organizations.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Sol Edell's involvement with a wide variety of Jewish educational, social and religious organizations and institutions in Canada, the United States, and Israel. Included are meeting minutes, publications, reports, photographs, correspondence, invitations, programmes, financial records, an architectural drawing, and a sound recording. While many of these organizations such as Eitz Chaim, Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot (educational), Mizrachi Organization of Canada, Emunah Women (Zionist) and Beth Jacob V’Anshe Drildz (synagogue) are orthodox, others such as Associated Hebrew Day Schools (educational), State of Israel Bonds (Zionist) and Co-ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly (social welfare) have no religious affiliation.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 26 photographs, 1 audio cassette, and 1 architectural drawing.
Name Access
Eitz Chaim
Or Chaim Ulpanat Orot
Mizrachi Men’s Organization
Emunah Women
Beth Jacob V'Anshei Drildz (Toronto, Ont.)
Associated Hebrew Day Schools
State of Israel Bonds
Co-ordinated Services to the Jewish Elderly
Camp Moshava
Harbord Collegiate
Netivot Hatorah
Union of Jewish Orthodox Congregations
B'Nei Akiva
Toronto Committee for Bikur Cholim Hospital
Subjects
Charities
Children
Education
Fund raising
Older people
Religion
Zionism
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Immigrant Aid Services of Toronto fonds
Administration series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 9; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Immigrant Aid Services of Toronto fonds
Administration series
Level
Series
Fonds
9
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
Date
1927-1988
Physical Description
2.6 m of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of records created and maintained by JIAS Toronto in the course of carrying out its core functions and operational activities. The records give evidence of the operation of JIAS programs and services, its relations with other JIAS offices and other immigrant organizations, and with immigrants themselves. The records include correspondence, immigrant lists, memoranda, case sheets, statistics logs, reports, identification documents, and subject files. The series is arranged into three sub-series: Programs and services, Correspondence, and Subject files.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the Archivist prior to accessing some of the records.
Arrangement
This series was created by the archivist from records originally part of series MG2 I1a K2 "Immigration Files - Administration, Projects." In the JIAS office, files were maintained in a central registry system of random numerical classification (these original numbers remain on the files). Some files were formerly a part of a series (MG2 I1a F) called "Executive Director's reference files," and have been re-assigned here to the appropriate sub-series.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Immigrant Aid Services of Toronto fonds
JIAS committees series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 9; Series 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Immigrant Aid Services of Toronto fonds
JIAS committees series
Level
Series
Fonds
9
Series
6
Material Format
textual record
Date
1927, 1936-1981
Physical Description
43 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of the records of internal JIAS Toronto committees. The records include minutes, correspondence, reports, memoranda, and immigrant lists. JIAS's committee work gives evidence of the breadth of its mandate in representing and serving Jewish immigrants. Committees represented include the Applications Committee, Management Committee, Arrangements Committee, Case Committee, Educational Committee, Reclaims Committee, Council of Organizations, Study Committee on JIAS Services, Co-ordinating Committee on Immigrant Services, Farm and Establishment Committee, Manny Kraicer Scholarship Committee, and Program Development Committee. A block of "Local Committee" files pertains to JIAS's annual regional conferences, and includes minutes, agendas and correspondence, of the Board of Directors, Nominations Committee, Arrangements Committee, and Case Committee. The block of files titled simply “Committee minutes” contains assorted minutes of general membership meetings, special (ad hoc) meetings, officers' meetings, and meetings of the Management Committee, the Council of Organizations, the Building Committee, the Ladies' Auxiliary, the Membership Committee, the Nominations and Arrangements Committee, the Personnel Committee, the Housing Committee, the Planning Committee, the Publicity Committee, the Committee on the JIAS 30th Anniversary, the Editorial Committee, and the Reclaims Committee.
The series is arranged in alphabetical-chronological order with the successive yearly files of committees' records maintained consecutively.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Arrangement
This series was created by the archivist from records originally part of series MG2 I1a K2 "Immigration Files - Administration, Projects." In the JIAS office, files were maintained in a central registry system of random numbers (these original numbers remain on the files).
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Immigrant Aid Services of Toronto fonds
External committees series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 9; Series 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Immigrant Aid Services of Toronto fonds
External committees series
Level
Series
Fonds
9
Series
7
Material Format
textual record
Date
1939-1982, predominant 1960-1982
Physical Description
66 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of the records JIAS maintained of external committees with which it was involved. Most of these records were collected by Louis Poch, who was executive director of JIAS Toronto from 1955-1980 and represented JIAS on many local and regional committees. The records include minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, agendas, and studies. Committees represented include the Refugee Committee of the United Jewish Relief Agencies (UJRA) and the National Inter-faith Co-operative Committee. A block of files on the United Jewish Welfare Fund pertains mainly to its Social Planning Committee and includes memoranda, agendas, notices, reports, and meeting minutes of the Committee on Scholarships-in-Aid, ad-hoc meetings on youth, the Commission on Aging, and Agency Executives. The Canadian Jewish Congress files consist of minutes from the Canadian Jewish Loan Cassa, United Jewish Relief Agencies Committee, Joint Community Relations Committee, School Committee, and Orthodox Division. Records in this block include minutes, correspondence from Congress to member organizations, and chairman’s newsletters (from Sydney Harris). The "Loans to Immigrants" files contain lists, correspondence, spreadsheets, and minutes of United Jewish Relief Agencies’ Collections Committee, Loan Cassa, and Toronto G’Milath Chasodim Association.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Arrangement
This series was created by the archivist from records originally part of series MG2 I1a K2 "Immigration Files - Administration, Projects." In the JIAS office, files were maintained in a central registry system of random numerical classification (these original numbers remain on the files).
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Immigrant Aid Services of Toronto fonds
JIAS National Office sous-fonds
Publications series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 9-1; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Immigrant Aid Services of Toronto fonds
JIAS National Office sous-fonds
Publications series
Level
Series
Fonds
9-1
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
Date
1956-1982
Physical Description
32 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of JIAS National publications 'JIAS News' and 'JIAS Information Bulletin.' The former was a newspaper-format quarterly publication distributed to paying subscribers. The Bulletin was an internal newsletter with no set publication schedule, distributed by National Executive Director Joseph Kage to the JIAS Board of Directors. The series also contains correspondence, clippings and a small number of newsletters from other organizations.
Access Restriction
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Related Material
Other copies of JIAS News and JIAS Bulletin which may not be duplicated here can be found in the following unprocessed records:
1991-10-5 (1987, 1991)
Shelf 94, box V (1987-1995)
Shelf 95-7, box IX (1978-1979, 1984)
47-6-1 (1972-1983)
Shelf 93-7, box X (1983-1984)
Arrangement
This series was created by the archivist from records originally part of series MG2 I1a K2 "Immigration Files - Administration, Projects." In the JIAS office, files were maintained in a central registry system of random numbers (these original numbers remain on the files).
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 2; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
Fonds
2
Series
1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
[192-?]-1995
Physical Description
10 cm of textual records
43 photographs
2 postcards
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Ben Dunkelman’s family, private life, and such hobbies as yachting and travel. Included are photographs, correspondence, newspaper clippings, invitations, certificates, speeches, a travel diary, a passport, and a scrapbook. The series is made up of two sub-series: 1. David and Rose Dunkelman (including biographies of those in the Dunkelman family) and 2. Theodora Dunkelman (Ben Dunkelman’s sister).
Name Access
Dunkelman, David, 1883-1978 (subject)
Dunkelman, Rose, 1889-1949 (subject)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Zionist series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 2; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Zionist series
Level
Series
Fonds
2
Series
2
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Date
1927-1996
Physical Description
6 cm of textual records
2 photographs
4 postcards : b&w and col. ; 9 x 14 cm
Admin History/Bio
Dunkelman, like his parents, was an active Zionist throughout his life. As a young man from 1930-1931, he lived in Israel and later fought in the Arab-Israeli War. Following the War in 1948-49, he wrote articles, kept correspondence, encouraged investment and gave speeches in support of Israel. He was also on the executive committee of Israel Speaks, an American publication, and was a member of the Zionist Organization of Canada (ZOC). In 1976, Dunkelman agreed to be the Deputy President of the ZOC’s Charitable Fund.
Scope and Content
The series consists of records documenting Ben Dunkelman's Zionist activities. Included are legal papers, photographs, correspondence, articles and newspaper clippings.
Notes
Herb Mowat was a Canadian Zionist who maintained a correspondence with Dunkelman during the 1950s and 1960s. Dunkelman acquired some of his records.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Second World War series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 2; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Second World War series
Level
Series
Fonds
2
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
cartographic material
Date
1942-1995
Physical Description
6 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
During the Second World War, Dunkelman served as a Major in the Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada. After enlisting in 1940, he became a platoon commander. Dunkelman took part in the second wave of D-Day landings in 1944 and later assisted in the final Allied assault on Germany, earning the Distinguished Service Order. He left the army in 1945 after the war had ended. The Queen's Own Rifles Association and the Canadian Society for the Weizmann Institute of Science organized a reception in 1976 to honour the publication of Dunkelman's autobiography Dual Allegiance.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting Ben Dunkelman's involvement in the Second World War. Included are newspaper clippings, maps, photographs, and correspondence. Some files deal with Dunkelman's experiences during the war; others relate to Dunkelman's relationship with veterans after the war and, in one case, with his memories of the war. The files cover such subjects as The Queen's Own Rifles, Veterans, the liberation of The Netherlands, Aubrey Cosens (a soldier under Dunkelman’s command who was killed in battle but later honoured with the Victoria Cross), and the prosecution of Nazi war criminals.
Notes
Physical description: Includes 85 photographs, 1 album, and 10 maps.
Name Access
Cosens, Aubrey, 1921-1945 (subject)
Subjects
Canada--Armed Forces
World War, 1939-1945
Related Material
See fonds 2, series 6 for more information on Dunkelman's involvement in the Second World War.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Arab-Israeli War series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 2; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Arab-Israeli War series
Level
Series
Fonds
2
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
cartographic material
Date
1943-1991
Physical Description
15 cm of textual records
28 photographs
20 maps
Admin History/Bio
Dunkelman joined the Machal (foreign fighters for Israel) in 1948 at the onset of the Arab-Israeli War and was active in helping the fledgling Israeli Army break out of Jerusalem and find a road to Tel Aviv. The Burma Road--named after a Second World War Burma supply route--was a makeshift route from Jerusalem to Tel-Aviv. Israeli soldiers including Dunkelman drove a convoy at night along a little-used route to reconnect the two cities. Later in the war, commanding the 7th Brigade, he captured Nazareth and northern Galilee. After Dunkelman had left the Israel Defence Forces in 1949 to seek work as a businessman, he still kept in contact with the Israeli army through such organizations as the Jewish War Veterans of Canada, The 7th Brigade Veterans Fund, American Veterans of Israel, the Association of Jewish War Veterans, and the Mahal Association.
Scope and Content
Series consists of reports, clippings, correspondence, photographs, maps and documents recording Ben Dunkelman's involvement in the Arab-Israeli War. The series branches into the following topics in this order: Machal; the 7th Brigade; Operation Hiram; Operation Dekel; the Burma Road; the Israel Defence Forces; a Profile of Ben Dunkelman; and Arab-Israeli War veterans.
Physical Condition
Some records are fragile.
Related Material
See fonds 2, series 6 for more information on the Arab-Israeli War. Dunkelman wrote an autobiography, Dual Allegiance, based on his experiences in the Arab-Israeli War and the Second World War.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Business series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 2; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Business series
Level
Series
Fonds
2
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1898, 1941-1988
Physical Description
56 photographs and other material
Admin History/Bio
Ben Dunkelman’s involvement in business was wide-ranging. He served as president of Tip Top Tailors after his father and as president of Cloverdale Shopping Centre. He also, along with his wife Yael, opened the Dunkelman Gallery for modern art and Dunkelman's restaurant.
Scope and Content
Series consists of photographs, correspondence, pamphlets and papers documenting Benjamin Dunkelman’s business activities. The files are organized into three sub-series: Tip-Top Tailors, Constellation Hotel, and Dunkelman Gallery.
Notes
Physical description: Includes 6 cm of textual records, 5 architectural drawings, and 1 postcard.
Subjects
Business
Physical Condition
Most photographs are warped.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Dual Allegiance series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 2; Series 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Dual Allegiance series
Level
Series
Fonds
2
Series
6
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
cartographic material
Date
[194-?]-1997
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Ben Dunkelman published his memoirs with MacMillan of Canada in 1976 under the title Dual Allegiance. Although nearly 30 years had passed since his involvement in the Second World War and the Arab-Israeli War, Dunkelman began researching his memoirs in the 1950s and an early version of the book, Israel Assignment, was finished in 1959. After further research, writing and correspondence with publishers, Dunkelman finally secured publication of the manuscript with MacMillan of Canada under the title Dual Allegiance, which was published in 1976. The response to Dual Allegiance after its publication in November came quickly. MacMillan collected many of the newspaper reviews and sent them to Dunkelman. Ben Dunkelman also wrote several different screenplays based on his autobiography. These range from plot summaries to a full-length screenplay submitted to Charles Greene which includes directions for camera shots.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, research notes, novel notes, manuscripts, reviews, film/TV scripts, clippings and publicity material related to Ben Dunkelman’s autobiography, Dual Allegiance, which was published by MacMillan in 1976. The series contains drafts of Israel Assignment. It also contains some correspondence, both between Dunkelman and MacMillan about the book, and from readers commenting on it. The series is organized into several general areas in the following order: research, manuscripts, publicity, correspondence and Film/TV scripts.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 30 maps, 4 photographs, and 2 albums.
Subjects
Authors
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Negotiations Committee series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 31; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Negotiations Committee series
Level
Series
Fonds
31
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
Date
1919-1987
Physical Description
83 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This series consists of records related to the activities of the Negotiations Committee. Included are the committee's meeting minutes and agendas, records of the negotiation proceedings, conciliation and arbitration hearings, Impartial Chairman's reports and correspondence, as well as collective agreements.
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Finance Committee series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 31; Series 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Finance Committee series
Level
Series
Fonds
31
Series
6
Material Format
textual record
Date
[ca. 1933]-1984
Physical Description
27 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This series consists of the records of the Finance Committee. Included are the committee's meeting minutes and agendas, membership dues assessments, financial statements, and information on market and piece-work rates and consumer price index statistics.
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
General correspondence series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 31; Series 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
General correspondence series
Level
Series
Fonds
31
Series
10
Material Format
textual record
Date
1922-1987
Physical Description
77 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This series consists of the general correspondence files created by the MCMAO's executive director. The records consist of correspondence to other committee members, manufacturers, the general membership, as well as other men's clothing associations.
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Men's Clothing Manufacturers' Association of Ontario fonds
Parliamentary briefs, submissions, reports and correspondence series
Level
Series
Fonds
31
Series
11
Material Format
textual record
Date
1954-1988
Physical Description
20 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This series consists of the records documenting the MCMAO's work in lobbying the federal government on issues related to the men's clothing industry. Included are parliamentary submissions on behalf of associations of which the MCMAO was a member, such as the Apparel Manufacturers Association of Ontario and the Canadian Apparel Manufacturers Council.
Accession Number
2008-12-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Hamilton Jewish community photographs series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 33; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Hamilton Jewish community photographs series
Level
Series
Fonds
33
Series
3
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[194-]-1984
Physical Description
96 photographs : b&w and col. (10 negatives) ; 21 x 26 or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Bill Stern was the director of activities for the Hamilton Jewish Community Centre (JCC) from 1956-1960. He was the director of the JCC from 1963-1964 and then executive director of the Hamilton Council of Jewish Organizations (CJO) from 1964-1973.
He arrived in Hamilton as a graduate in social work, specializing in group work and camping activities. He played a major role in developing the Hamilton Jubilee Club, a senior day centre, kosher meals-on-wheels, an expanded camping program, and the Hamilton Council of Jewish Education. He was responsible for the separation of the JCC and the CJO, and the establishment of the CJO's successor, the Hamilton Jewish Federation.
Scope and Content
This series consists of photographs of the Hamilton Jewish community, taken during Bill Stern's professional involvement with the Hamilton Jewish Community Centre and the Hamilton Council of Jewish Organizations. There are also a few images that Bill had acquired that were taken shortly before his arrival and shortly after his departure.
The images depict various Hamilton community members, as well as CJO and community centre events and meetings. They have been arranged chronologically and described at the file and item level.
Subjects
Communities
Places
Hamilton (Ont.)
Accession Number
2004-5-96
2004-5-135
2005-5-2
2006-2-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Toronto Jewish community photographs series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 33; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
William Stern fonds
Toronto Jewish community photographs series
Level
Series
Fonds
33
Series
4
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1930-[ca. 1984]
Physical Description
43 photographs : b&w and col. (15 negatives) ; 28 x 35 or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Bill Stern was very involved in the Toronto Jewish community. In particular, he was active with the United Jewish Welfare Fund, where he served as a divisional director, the Canadian Zionist Federation, as the executive director, the Canadian Society for the Weizmann Institute of Science, the Jewish Home for the Aged, the Jewish Film Festival and the Ontario Jewish Archives. He also assisted many organizations in a consulting capacity, following his leave from communal affairs.
Scope and Content
This series consists of photographs of individuals and organizations associated with the Toronto Jewish community. Bill Stern, along with other members of his family, are featured in many of the photographs, as they were members of the various organizations.
The photographs have been arranged chronologically and described at the item level.
Accession Number
1981-9-4
1985-6-6
1991-5-5
1991-5-6
1994-1-4
2004-5-96
2005-5-9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Women's Auxiliary series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 52; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Women's Auxiliary series
Level
Series
Fonds
52
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1951-1986
Physical Description
62 cm of textual records
10 photographs
2 objects
Admin History/Bio
The Women's Auxiliary of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care was established in 1955 as a fund-raising arm of the Baycrest Centre as well as a provider of services to the residents and patients. Some of its activities included running the volunteer service, the beauty salon, the gift shop, theatre nights, religious and festival programming and fundraising projects.
Dora Till was the founding president of the Women's Auxiliary from 1955 to 1959. She remained active on the Executive Committee well into the 1980s. Dora was honoured several times by the Women's Auxiliary, including at a tribute dinner in 1983 and in 1984 when an entire floor of Baycrest was named in her honour.
Scope and Content
This series consists of records documenting the activities of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Women's Auxiliary. The records include minutes, reports, speeches, correspondence, financial records, invitations, brochures and pamphlets, photographs and artifacts.
The records have been arranged into six sub-series: Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Sub-Committees, Finance and Accounting, Programming and Services, Events, and Press and Publicity.The records have been described to the file level and a selection of photographs have been scanned and described at the item level.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Heritage Museum Committee series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 52; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care Heritage Museum Committee series
Level
Series
Fonds
52
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
Date
1972-1983
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The Baycrest Centre for Geritaric Care's Heritage Museum Committee oversaw the operation of the Centre's museum, the acquisition of artifacts, as well as any accompanying programs and exhibitions. Dora Till sat on the committee during the 1970s and early 1980s.
Scope and Content
This series consists of records related to the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care's Heritage Museum Committee. The records include minutes, correspondence, speeches and reports, financial records and exhibition materials. The records have been described to the file level.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care : other committees series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 52; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care : other committees series
Level
Series
Fonds
52
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
Date
1953-1965, 1980
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This series consists of one file of records documenting the activites of other committees that Dora Till sat on such as the House Committee, the Hospital Sub-Committee and the Auxiliary and Volunteer Program Committee.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Other organizations series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 52; Series 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Other organizations series
Level
Series
Fonds
52
Series
7
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1925-1985
Physical Description
6 cm of textual records
1 photograph
Scope and Content
This series consists of records documenting other organzations that Dora Till was involved with. The records include correspondence, mintues, program booklets, pamphlets, invitations and a photograph. The series is described to the file level and in the case of the photograph to the item level.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 52; Series 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dora Till fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
Fonds
52
Series
8
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1932-1984
Physical Description
15 cm of textual records (1 vol.)
24 photographs
Admin History/Bio
Dora Tobias married Morris S. Till on 21 May 1916, in Toronto. They had two children, Sigmund and Cecile, both of whom she outlived. Sigmund died tragicallyin 1938 at the age of 11 after a sudden illness. Cecile married Frank Goldhar and they had two children, Sheila Anne and Meyer Garson.
Morris Till (1892-1977) was born in Poland to Solomon and Cyril Till. The family later immigrated to Toronto in 1914. In business, Morris headed the M. S. Till and Company Limited, a lingerie manufacturing company.
Morris was one of Toronto's prominent communal leaders, holding positions on the boards and executives of Goel Tzedec Synagogue, the YM-YWHA, Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital, B'nai Brith, Mount Sinai Hospital, Zionist Council of Toronto and the United Jewish Welfare Fund. He was primarily responsible for merging the United Palestine and Jewish Welfare fund appeals into one campaign, now known as the United Jewish Appeal.
Morris Till was honoured on numerous occasions throughout his lifetime, including a citation from the Keren Hayesod United Israel Appeal in recognition of distinquished service to the State of Israel.
Scope and Content
This series consists of records documenting the personal life of Dora Till and the many awards and tributes conferred upon her during her lifetime. The records include personal wiritings and speeches, correspondence, newsclippings and photographs. There is one sub-sereis entitled Personal awards and tributes. The records are described to the file level and a selection of photographs are described at the item level.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive Director series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive Director series
Level
Series
Fonds
61
Series
1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1936-1993
Physical Description
2.66 m of textual records (12 v.) and other material
Admin History/Bio
The role of the executive director was to oversee the administrative operations of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A., including staffing and personnel, budgetary activities, maintenance, programming, special events and festival celebrations, membership, community outreach and fundraising activities.
Although a staff position, the executive director was also a member of the Board of Directors and the Executive Committee, as acting secretary. As such, the executive director was responsible for attending and taking the minutes at all committee meetings, and for the collection and maintenance of all official files documenting the activities of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A., and later, the Jewish Community Centres. The executive director also acted as executive director of the Jewish Camp Council, which operated out of the Bloor and Spadina Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. building.
In the late 1940s, George Horrowitz was the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A.'s executive director, and in 1952, David Andrews succeeded him. Andrews served as executive director until 1976, at which point he became executive vice-president and Martin Park, his former assistant, succeeded him as executive director. Sid Brail became the executive director in 1979.
Scope and Content
This series consists of the records created and collected by the office of the executive director of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. and the Jewish Community Centre of Toronto. The records include operating files, correspondence, financial records, program material, reports, photographs, course registration ledgers and architectural drawings.
The records are organized alphabetically as subject files, which reflects the original arrangement of the records. The exceptions are the financial reports, the course registration ledgers and the architectural plans, which were maintained separately.
The records have been arranged into the following sub-series: subject files, financial reports, architectural drawings and Y-Arts Council registration ledgers.
Notes
Includes 142 photographs, 41 drawings, 2 artifacts and 2 posters.
Arrangement
As the executive director oversaw operations at both the Bloor and Spadina branch and the northern branch of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A., the records relating to both branches were filed together. There has been no attempt made to separate the records of the individual branches.
Creator
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto
Accession Number
2004-5-2
1988-11-7
1983-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 61; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee series
Level
Series
Fonds
61
Series
2
Material Format
graphic material
sound recording
textual record
Date
[ca. 1920]-1990
Physical Description
1866 photographs and other material
Admin History/Bio
The Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee was established in 1982, in order to document the history of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. of Toronto. The committee was chaired by Bert Fine and was mandated by the JCC of Toronto's Executive Committee to collect historical and archival material from the community, which was to be donated to the Ontario Jewish Archives.
Scope and Content
This series consists of the records collected by the Jewish Community Centre Archives Committee. The records are predominantly photographs, but also includes some textual records. This series also contains oral histories, created by the committee in order to document the experiences of some of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A.'s original members.
The series contains a sub-series for the photograph collection, which is organized alphabetically by theme, event or person and is described at the file and item levels. There is also a sub-series for the oral history program, which is described at the sub-series level.
Notes
Includes 13 sound recordings, 3 cm of textual records, and 1 drawing.
Accession Number
1984-7-2
1982-12-2
2004-5-13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Sports Celebrity Dinners series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 61; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Sports Celebrity Dinners series
Level
Series
Fonds
61
Series
5
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
object
Date
1987-1994
Physical Description
427 photographs : col. ; 13 x 13 cm
3 cm of textual records
2 artifacts
Admin History/Bio
The Sports Celebrity Dinners were developed by the Jewish Community Centre of Toronto in 1985. Each year, a different person connected with the world of sports was honoured by the community for their contributions. The night included a dinner, guest speakers and celebrity appearances, and usually an athletic demonstration or participatory event that related to the honouree's sport. For example, a boxing match, a skating demonstration or a batting cage.
Scope and Content
This series consists of photographs and program books from eight of the annual Sports Celebrity Dinners held by the Jewish Community Centre of Toronto.
Subjects
Celebrities
Sports
Accession Number
2004-6-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Board of directors and executive committee series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Board of directors and executive committee series
Level
Series
Fonds
48
Series
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1950-1999
Physical Description
1.8 m of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Between 1949 and 1968, the board was comprised of representatives from each of the affiliated schools, the United Jewish Welfare Fund, Canadian Jewish Congress Central Region, and members representing the community at large. The BJE Board of Directors was responsible for managing the affairs of the bureau, although the UJWF had final say over budgetary matters and changes to the BJE constitution required the approval of its sponsoring organizations, the UJWF and CJC Central Region. Standing committees were formed to oversee the activities and programs of the bureau. These included the Public Relations Committee, Planning and Capital Repairs Committee, Constitution Committee, Adult Education Committee, Budget and Finance Committee, Publications Committee, Personnel Committee, Youth Education Committee, and School Committee. Given the size of the board of directors, much of the board's routine work -- such as receiving reports from committees and reviewing requests and inquiries from schools -- was delegated to an executive committee comprised of the officers of the board, chairmen of the standing committees, the executive director, and several other members of the board appointed by the committee.
By the mid-1960s, the board had grown to more than 80 members, including the representatives of all affiliated schools. There was a growing perception in the community and within the UJWF that the BJE was no longer an effective body, and had become primarily an agent for the schools (whose representatives might outnumber the representatives of other constituencies in board meetings) and their special interests, rather than an arms-length body representing both the schools and the UJWF. Following an informal review by the UJWF and representatives of the CJC Central Region of the workings of the BJE, the Bureau of Jewish Eeducation was reorganized and renamed the Board of Jewish Education in 1968.
The board was reduced in size to twenty members, appointed by the UJWF, with no less than ten members from the UJWF Board of Directors, including the BJE Chairman and Vice-Chairman. The standing committees of the bureau were eliminated -- including the executive committee -- and were replaced by two permanent committees: the Committee on Pedagogic Matters and the Committee on Fiscal Matters. The Committee on Pedagogic Matters was concerned with issues such as teacher training, teacher certification standards, inter-school programs, and other matters. The Committee on Fiscal Matters was concerned with reviewing school budgets, establishing guidelines for the assessment of tuition fees, and regulating and enforcing a uniform salary scale for teachers in subsidized schools. These committees had the authority to establish sub-committees to carry out some of their responsibilities.
Following the 1975 report of the UJWF Study Committee on Jewish Education, this committee structure was altered to allow for more standing committees reporting directly to the board. An informal executive committee, the BJE Steering Committee, was established by the chairman of the board in the early 1970s, to assist the chairman between meetings of the full board, and to review matters considered by the chairman and executive director to be too sensitive for the full board. This committee became a formal committee of the BJE in 1976, its size and role were expanded in 1978, and in the early 1990s again became the BJE Executive Committee.
In the mid- to late-1990s, following the reports of the BJE Strategic Planning Committee and the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto Commission on Jewish Education, the board returned to a committee structure similar to that established in 1968, with a Fiscal Committee and Educational Services Committee as the two primary committees and sub-committees reporting to these committees. The number of board members has been increased on several occasions after 1968, with twenty-four active community volunteers sitting on the BJE Board as of 1999. The chair of the BJE Board is appointed by the President of UJA Federation for a two year term. The members of the board are appointed by the chair of the board of the BJE, upon the recommendation of a BJE nominations committee.
The board of directors currently holds at least seven meetings annually, in addition to an annual general meeting and special meetings as required. As of 2006, the major committees on the board include the Fiscal Committee, Educational Services Committee, Education Research Committee, Marketing Committee, Financial Services Committee, Strategic Planning Committee, Tuition Fee Subsidy Guidelines Committee, Affiliation and Compliance Committee, Supplementary School Committee, High School Funding Committee, and Tikun Chaim Committee.
Scope and Content
The series documents the work of the BJE Board of Directors and its executive committee in setting policy for the BJE and overseeing its operations, providing guidance and coordination for Jewish education in Toronto, in allocating funds to schools and monitoring the financial performance of these schools, and in representing the interests of affiliated schools within the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto and its predecessors, the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto, the Toronto Jewish Congress, and the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
The series contains six sub-series of records relating to the work of the following committees: the Fiscal Committee, Educational Services Committee, the Affiliation Requirements Committee and other committees reviewing affiliation requirements, Guidance and Counselling Steering Committee, the Strategic Planning Committee, and the Board of License and Review.
The series also includes meeting minutes of the board of directors and the executive committee, which were often interfiled, and files of committee minutes and other records whose volume did not warrant establishing separate sub-series -- for example, the Teacher Recruitment Committee, a short-lived ad-hoc committee of the board.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Executive Director series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Executive Director series
Level
Series
Fonds
48
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1936-2000
Physical Description
2.2 m of textual records
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 16 cm
Admin History/Bio
The executive director is responsible for the administration and management of the Board of Jewish Education, including its committees. During the 1950s, the executive director was one of five staff members, along with a school consultant, assistant director (i.e., administrative assistant to the executive director), secretary stenographer, and stenographer. In the 1960s and 1970s, as the Jewish education system in Toronto grew, additional positions were created to assist the executive director, including an associate director, director of school finances, and later, the director of educational technology.
The responsibilities of the executive director have included the supervision of administrative and professional staff, assembling board and committee agendas, planning new projects, recruiting and hiring of new personnel, monitoring the availability of scholarships and bursaries for students pursuing higher Jewish education, consulting with teachers and principals of subsidized schools on such matters as curriculum and professional development, acting as the BJE representative in dealings with government agencies and other organizations, and public relations and education activities like conferences and media interviews. The executive director is an ex officio member of many BJE committees and other organizations, such as the Principals Council.
The executive director liaises with the schools on inter-school activities such as the Bible Contest and Jewish Book Month Contest, works with the Midrasha Board of Governors in the preparation and supervision of its curriculum and budget, consults with staff at the Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto (CHAT), and assists in the administration of the Israel study programs. The executive director has also carried the title of director of CHAT, stemming from the initial founding of the school by the UJWF. This position has involved serving on the board of directors of CHAT, dealing with staff needs, helping determine policies and plans for the school, and reviewing the school's budget and operations. The executive director has been the dean of the Midrasha L'Morim since its establishment in 1953.
Dr. Joseph Diamond was the first executive director of the BJE, serving in this position for 18 years. In 1969, Rabbi Irwin E. Witty became executive director and served in this position for 28 years. In 1997 and 1998, Rabbi Dr. Jeremiah Unterman held the position. In 1999, Dr. Seymour Epstein became executive director of the BJE and, as of 2006, also holds the position of Vice-President for Jewish Education, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Scope and Content
This series documents the executive directors' work with the UJWF Study Committee on Jewish Education in the early 1970s, and with agencies of the municipal, provincial and federal governments to secure funding for Jewish schools. The series also documents the executive director's public relations work on behalf of the BJE, through public speaking engagements and radio programs and the recruitment and hiring of teachers and principals for the various schools. The series contains personal correspondence of Dr. Diamond and Rabbi Witty, which they kept in the BJE's filing system and contain some references to their work as executive director.
The series is organized into four sub-series: Personal correspondence and writings, Government aid to schools, United Jewish Welfare Fund Study Committee on Jewish Education, and Teacher files.
Related Material
Please note that much of the material in other series of the fonds -- especially the Subject files (series 4), School files (series 5) and Chronological correspondence (series 6) -- include records created or accumulated by the executive director in his work on BJE projects and programs.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Director of school finances series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Director of school finances series
Level
Series
Fonds
48
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
Date
1949-1999
Physical Description
2 m of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The UJWF Study Committee on Jewish Education recommended in 1975 that a Department of School Finances be established at either the UJWF or the BJE, to develop standards for accounting practices in affiliated schools, review school budgets and financial statements, develop tuition fee guidelines, and oversee the granting of bursaries and tuition assistance to students. The position of BJE Director of School Finances was created in 1976 to carry out these recommendations. In 1976, Sheldon Lofsky briefly served in the new position, and in 1977, Bernard Shoub was hired to fill this position.
The director served as staff member on the BJE Fiscal Committee, Budget Committee, the Association of Jewish Day School Administrators, and other committees concerned with school or BJE administration and finances. His work included receiving and reviewing monthly reports of school income and expenses; monitoring and reviewing student dropout and retention rates for all funded day schools; assisting in the review and analysis of school budget submissions and year-end financial statements, teacher salary grids, and school tuition fees and tuition assistance; assisting with contract negotiations with teachers' unions; assisting in preparing the annual budgets for the BJE, Midrasha L'Morim and the Orah school; and, overseeing the review by BJE staff of monthly income and expenditure reports for the BJE prepared by the UJA Federation financial department.
Upon Bernard Shoub's retirement in 2003, the position of BJE Director of School Finances was eliminated and the director's responsibilities were transferred to the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto Financial Department.
Scope and Content
The series documents the director's work in reviewing school budgets and financial statements, teachers' contracts and salaries, and student enrollment figures. The series also documents the director's work as staff member for BJE committees and the Association of Jewish Day School Administrators. The records in the series include correspondence with affiliated schools, memoranda issued by the director, financial statements from affiliated schools, copies of contracts with teachers' unions, and minutes and reports of committees on which the director was a member, including the Association of Jewish Day School Administrators. The series contains two sub-series: School audited financial statements, and Chronological correspondence and memoranda. The latter sub-series constitutes the bulk of this series.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Midrasha L'Morim series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Midrasha L'Morim series
Level
Series
Fonds
48
Series
8
Material Format
textual record
Date
1953-1999
Physical Description
2.1 m of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The Toronto Midrasha L'Morim (Toronto Jewish Teachers' Seminary) was founded in 1953, a joint effort of the Bureau of Jewish Education and the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC) Central Region. The Midrasha provided interested day school graduates with the opportunity to pursue a career in Jewish education without having to leave Toronto for training. It also provided those already in the field with the opportunity to improve their qualifications. The Midrasha was created to meet the anticipated shortage of teachers in the late 1950s, as enrollment in Toronto's Jewish schools increased.
J. Irving Oelbaum, chair of the CJC Central Region in the early 1950s and a well-known advocate for Jewish education, was named the founder of the Midrasha. The Midrasha was governed by a board of governors, appointed jointly by CJC-Central Region and the UJWF. The BJE Executive Director served as dean of the seminary, and the position of registrar was held by the BJE senior school consultant, Dr. S.B Ullman, until the late 1960s, when this responsibility was transferred to the BJE Associate Director. Funding of the Midrasha was shared by the BJE and CJC Central Region until the late 1970s, when the teachers seminary became solely the responsibility of the BJE and its parent organization, the Toronto Jewish Congress (TJC). During the 1950s and early 1960s, however, the bulk of the funding for the Midrasha came from the CJC, with the BJE responsible for the seminary's daily operations and administration.
The Midrasha opened on 3 October 1953, with classes held at Community House, 44 St. George Street, Toronto, which was owned by the National Council of Jewish Women. Initial enrollment was 23 students divided into 2 classes by age group. The first class, aged 16-18, was enrolled in a four year program; the second class, aged 18-23, was in a two year program. Six teachers were employed, teaching courses in Hebrew literature, Torah, prophets, post-Biblical texts, Yiddish, and educational methodology & psychology. Subsequently, the four-year program became standard for the Midrasha. Locations for classes varied over the years, typically making use of classrooms in the Jewish day schools after school hours. The first class graduated in 1955 and was composed mainly of Toronto-born, female students. In the late fifties and early sixties, an increasing percentage of the students were recent immigrants from Israel. Graduates of the program helped to relieve the shortage of Hebrew teachers at day and supplementary schools in Toronto and across Ontario. The four-year program of study was extended to five years in 1970, divided into a two-year preparatory program and a three-year teacher training course.
In 1967, the CJC Central Region conducted a review of the Midrasha L'Morim which led to the introduction of post-graduate and part-time programs. This study was soon followed by the UJWF Study on Jewish Education, one section of which dealt with the Midrasha and teacher training. In the 1975 report, the Study Committee on Jewish Education recommended the development of a degree-granting program in Jewish teacher education at York University, and this was established soon after. The Midrasha continued to operate alongside the York program, providing supplementary and specialized training. As of 2006, the Midrasha L'Morim continues to operate, offering teacher certification upon completion of the program. It includes evening, Sunday, and summer courses, conducted primarily in Hebrew, on a variety of Judaic subjects
Scope and Content
The series documents the work of the Midrasha board of governors and staff in guiding the operation of the Midrasha and responding to enquiries and reports from Midrasha study committees. The series also documents the work of the Midrasha registrar -- the BJE Associate Director -- in assisting students and organizing the Midrasha curriculum. The series consists of minutes of board meetings, reports and minutes of Midrahsa study committees, course outlines and course calendars, and records relating to the faculty, teacher seminars, student enrollment, graduation exercises and Midrasha budgets.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto series
Level
Series
Fonds
48
Series
11
Material Format
textual record
Date
1961-2000
Physical Description
80 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto (CHAT) was founded in 1960 as a co-educational Jewish high school, sponsored and funded by the United Jewish Welfare Fund. The UJWF's original intention was that CHAT would be the only BJE-affiliated and community-funded Jewish high school in Toronto. This goal was subsequently abandoned in the 1970s, as the increasing size and diversity of the Toronto Jewish community led to a demand for new high schools meeting the distinct needs within the community.
CHAT was incorporated in 1964 as the Jewish Community Day School of Toronto. The school is governed by a board of directors appointed by the UJWF and its successors, with an executive committee delegated to conduct the routine work of the board between meetings. Committees of the board include Budget and Finance, Education, Development, Personnel, Tuition, Health and Safety, and Building Committees. From 1960 to 1980, the executive director of the BJE held the position of Director of CHAT. While the responsibilities of this position were never explicitly defined, the executive director served as a professional resource person and consultant with CHAT, working with the principals on enrolment campaigns, Hebrew staff recruitment, curriculum design, and policy matters. The executive director is also allowed to attend meetings of the CHAT Board of Directors. This ex officio position of the BJE Executive Director was eliminated in 1980, with Rabbi Witty retaining the title of Director Emeritus until his retirement.
For many years, the school's professional staff consisted of a headmaster, a principal of general studies, and a director of guidance. As of 2006, CHAT is managed by a professional staff consisting of a director of education, director of Jewish studies, and executive director/CFO. The two campuses of the school are each headed by a principal, an assistant principal of general studies, and a vice-principal of Jewish studies.
For its first 19 years, CHAT was housed at the Neptune Drive branch of the Associated Hebrew Schools, and in 1979, moved to a former Toronto District School Board public school building at 200 Wilmington Avenue in Downsview. In 1998-1999, enrollment at the school increased dramatically from approximately five hundred students to just over 900. Due to this increase, and with the help of a major gift from Mrs. Anne Tanenbaum, a major renovation and extension project took place and the site was renamed the Anne and Max Tanenbaum Education Centre. Enrolment continued to increase after 2000, with many of the new students living in the north of the city. In 2004-2005, CHAT's total enrolment was just over 1,400 students. In September 2000, CHAT opened a Richmond Hill branch at 51 Wright Street, with an initial enrolment of approximately 150 students. This branch is scheduled to move in September 2007 to the new Vaughan Region community centre being developed by the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Scope and Content
The series documents the work of the CHAT Board of Directors, Executive Committee and Education Committee, the involvement of the BJE Executive Director in these committees, and CHAT's interactions with the BJE, the UJWF and its successors. The series consists of meeting minutes and reports, correspondence and memoranda, and records relating to UJWF and TJC committees which studied the operations of CHAT between 1970-1972 and 1979-1981. Files in the series are arranged alphabetically.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Meyer W. Gasner Memorial Scholarship Fund series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Meyer W. Gasner Memorial Scholarship Fund series
Level
Series
Fonds
48
Series
15
Material Format
textual record
Date
1974-1999
Physical Description
22 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The Meyer W. Gasner Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in 1974, and incorporated in 1977. The fund was named in honour of Meyer Gasner (1906-1974), a successful businessman and leader in the Toronto Jewish community. Gasner always took a great interest in Jewish education, was one of the founders of Associated Hebrew Schools, and served on the board of the BJE. The fund provided scholarships for post-secondary Jewish education to students who intended to pursue a career in Jewish education. Sam Sable and Rabbi Irwin Witty were the initiators of the fund and served as officers of the corporation. Other officers included the well-known philanthropists Kurt Rothschild and Joseph Tanenbaum. Although the fund was not formally affiliated with the BJE, BJE staff carried out routine administrative work for the fund, distributed application forms and accepted applications, which were then passed on to the Meyer W. Gasner Memorial Scholarship Committee for consideration. The first scholarships were awarded in 1976.
Raising the capital funds needed to support the regular awarding of scholarships proved difficult. The committee was unable to award scholarships every year, and not in the amounts they would have liked. The fund continued to operate until 1998, and granted scholarships to approximately 200 students during its existence. At the end of 1998, the fund ceased operations and its remaining assets were transferred to the UJA Federation's Meyer W. Gasner/Joe Berman Educational Scholarship Fund.
Scope and Content
The series documents the founding of the fund, its financial performance over the years, and the decisions of the scholarship fund committee in awarding scholarships. The series consists of committee meeting minutes, audited financial statements, correspondence with committee members and scholarship applicants, and promotional material for the scholarship. The files in the series are arranged chronologically.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Principals councils series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Principals councils series
Level
Series
Fonds
48
Series
16
Material Format
textual record
Date
1968-1997
Physical Description
28 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
The principals of BJE affiliated schools were organized into a Principals' Council in the early stages of the development of the BJE. The Principals' Council, chaired by the executive director of the BJE, was an advisory body to the bureau in all matters related to the educational interests of the affiliated schools and met to discuss common problems, such as the content and program of teachers' seminars, coordination of inter-school activities, professional welfare, and school policies and procedures. The Principals' Council also dealt with matters such as security in the schools, enrolment campaigns, professional development programs, the distribution of educational publications, evaluation of teacher performance, Israel study tours, and other matters. Implementation of decisions made by the Principals Council was typically the responsibility of BJE staff, if these decisions required action beyond the individual schools.
In the late 1970s, due to the increase in the number and diversity of affiliated schools, separate councils were established for day school and supplementary school principals, known respectively as the Day School Principals Association, and Meetings of Supplementary School Principals and Coordinators.
Scope and Content
The series documents the meetings of the Principals Council and its successor bodies, the Day School Principals Association, and the Supplementary School Principals and Coordinators, and the relationships between these councils and BJE professional staff. The series consists of meeting minutes, memoranda, and correspondence between school principals and BJE staff. The files are organized by the name of the body, and then by date.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Orah School for Russian Jewish Children series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 48; Series 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Orah School for Russian Jewish Children series
Level
Series
Fonds
48
Series
12
Material Format
textual record
Date
1979-2000
Physical Description
40 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Established in November 1978 as the Orah School for Jewish Children from the Soviet Union, the school was intended for children who recently arrived from the Soviet Union with no previous Jewish education. Funding for the school came from special grants from the Toronto Jewish Congress (TJC; now, the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto), from community fundraising for the school, and from tuition fees. The school was managed by a board of directors, with a staff consisting of a school principal and vice-principal, and as many as eight teachers and junior teachers. The number of teaching staff varied over the years with fluctuations in enrolment and funding. The bulk of the administrative work for the school was carried out by BJE staff, and the school was considered a special project of the BJE and its parent body, the TJC. The executive and associate directors of the BJE were ex-officio members of the Orah board.
The school operated as a Sunday school, with six hours of classes every week. The curriculum was designed to suit families with little familiarity with Judaism, many of whom found the greater time requirements of the day schools and other supplementary schools too onerous. The school also provided children with bar and bat mitzvah training. The school's location varied over the years, moving between branches of the Eitz Chaim schools and the Hurwich Branch of Associated Hebrew Schools.
In recent years, the Orah school's affiliation with the BJE came to an end. Now called the Orah School for Children, the school is currently located in Thornhill at the Spring Farm branch of Eitz Chaim Day School, with Rabbi Yosef Michalowicz serving as principal.
Scope and Content
The series documents the BJE's involvement in founding the Orah school and assisting in its operations. The series also documents studies of the school conducted by the TJC and BJE in the early 1980s and again in the early 1990s. The series contains meeting minutes of the board of directors and study committees, memoranda and correspondence relating to the school's operations, and records relating to the school's budget, fundraising activities, and enrolment. Files in the series are organized alphabetically by subject.
Subjects
Children
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Source
Archival Descriptions
135 records – page 1 of 3.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language