Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
28 records – page 1 of 1.
Accession Number
2014-1-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-1-8
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Physical Description
12 cm of textual records
11 architectural drawings : col.
Date
1997-2008
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material from the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto executive committee regarding meetings and retreats, an annual report from 2006/2007, and a budget report from 2007/2008. Accession also consists of other brochures and folders containing information related to the Jewish Toronto Tomorrow campaign, including information about the Downtown Jewish Day School, a "live generously" brochure, a brochure from the 2008 Words & Deeds leadership award dinner, and "York Region campus conceptual master plan" from 2008. Also included is an organization plan for 750 Spadina Avenue from 1997, proposed architectural drawings for Sherman campus from December 2011, as well as a report presented to the Canadian Council for Israel and Jewish advocacy in 2006.
Custodial History
Records were transferred to the archives by Ted Sokolsky, President and CEO of UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-9
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Physical Description
1.3 m of textual records
ca. 50 architectural drawings
Date
1974-2016
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities, programs and governance of Shaar Shalom Synagogue. Included are financial statements, meeting minutes, by-laws, brochures, architectural drawings, reports, membership lists, forms filled in by participants in life cycle events (such as weddings and conversions), holiday bulletins, invitations, speeches, Yizkor booklets, office manuals and correspondence. Of note is a land title document from 1981.
Administrative History
Shaar Shalom Synagogue was a conservative synagogue in Markham founded in 1972. The synagogue closed in 2016.
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaar Shalom Synagogue (Markham, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-7-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-7-11
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Physical Description
ca. 6 m textual records and graphic material
ca. 20 architectural drawings
Date
1972-2016
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the activities, programs and governance of Shaar Shalom Synagogue. Included are financial records, meeting minutes and agendas, architectural drawings, general administrative files, and photographs.
Administrative History
Shaar Shalom Synagogue was a conservative synagogue in Markham founded in 1972. The synagogue closed in 2016.`
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Records in off-site storage; advance notice required to view.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Shaar Shalom Synagogue (Markham, Ont.)
Places
Markham, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
House Committee sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 38; Series 7-10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
House Committee sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
38
Series
7-10
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1961-[198-?]
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
37 photographs
2 artistic drawings : 52 x 53 cm or smaller
13 architectural drawings : 92 x 60 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Toronto Section's executive historically incorporated five or six vice-presidents, each in charge of a portfolio made up of a group of related committees. In 1963, Toronto Section moved to a new Council House at 4700 Bathurst Street.
Scope and Content
Sub-series includes drawings, photographs, minutes, contracts and correspondence relating to the builiding's construction and later renovations.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-3; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
61
Series
1-3
File
4
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1981
Physical Description
1 cm of textual records (1 v.)
8 drawings : proposal ; 28 x 43 cm folded to 28 x 22 cm
Scope and Content
This file consists of a study conducted by A.J. Diamond & Partners, Architects & Planners and A.J. Vermeulen, Quantity Surveyor on the feasibility of modifying the Bloor building to accommodate the new demands made on the athletic, school and community space. The study includes information on demographics of the surrounding area, program analysis and renovation/addition options. There are eight accompanying drawings of the proposed modifications, prepared by the architects.
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hillel Foundation, University of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 65
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hillel Foundation, University of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
65
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1945-1988
Physical Description
3.72 m of textual records, graphic material and architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
The B’nai Brith Hillel Foundation was founded at the University of Illinois in 1923 by Rabbi Benjamin Frankel. The University of Toronto chapter was established in 1946, by which point there were over one thousand Jewish undergraduates at the university. Hillel’s mandate was to foster students’ Jewish identity, creating a religious, cultural and communal environment and coordinating the activities of many affiliated sub-groups. Hillel was supported by the B’nai Brith Foundation and the United Jewish Welfare Fund (later the Toronto Jewish Congress), with increasing operational funding from the latter as the decades passed.
Hillel’s predecessor at the University of Toronto was the Menorah Society, founded in 1917 and disbanded in 1931 due to waning interest. In 1944 the Jewish Student Fellowship was formed, and on January 23, 1946 it was transformed into the University of Toronto B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation.
Hillel chapters were run with the guidance of a professional appointed by the B’nai Brith Hillel Foundations at American and Canadian Universities. During the period covered by this fonds, U of T Hillel had four directors: Rabbi Aaron Kamerling (director 1946-1970), Rabbi Eliyahu Eliezri (1970-1971), Ben Mayer (1971-1978) and Gerry Fisher (1978-1981). The director answered to a board of advisors, drawn from the university and Jewish communities, that was responsible for maintaining Hillel House, overseeing staffing, and representing the Foundation to the public. Early chairmen of this board included Edward E. Gelber, Jack D. Pearlstein, Cyril Houser, Dr. Alexander Lipson, Sidney Midanik, and E. M. Sprackman.
At the day-to-day operations level, Hillel was run by an elected council of thirteen students under the director’s guidance. At U of T, the Hillel student council created and implemented a yearly program, edited the literary magazine and Hillelite bulletin, and over the years maintained the following standing committees: religious; cultural; house; social; publicity; art, music and drama; United Jewish Appeal; debates; membership; and seminar. The council met monthly and was required to call general meetings bi-monthly.
Hillel’s first administrative offices were at 492 Spadina Avenue, with programs held in various locations, including the B’nai Brith Youth Organization space at 750 Spadina Avenue, and local synagogues. From the beginning, Hillel joined forces with the B’nai Brith Youth Organization to raise funds for a permanent home on campus for Hillel. Programs in the early years included Shabbat services and lectures, arts performances, dances, personal counseling, and courses such as Jewish Literature and Hebrew. Three times a year Hillel published the Scribe, a literary magazine addressing topics of Jewish heritage, life, and prominent figures. This was replaced in the 1950s by an annual magazine named Reflections. The Hillelite bulletin informed members of activities and events. Hillel continued to build the Judaica collection of its Norman Raitblat Memorial Library. It also sent delegates each year to the Hillel Summer Institute in New York State; the Brandeis Camp Institute, a leadership training program sponsored by the American Zionist Youth Commission; and, beginning in 1948, the Inter-Hillel Conference, which was hosted alternately by Queen’s University, McGill University, and U of T.
In 1950, Hillel acquired a house at 186 St. George Street. Hillel House was formally dedicated at Convocation Hall on January 21, 1951. In December 1977 Hillel House was destroyed by fire, after which its offices were moved to space in the YMHA building at Bloor and Spadina. Programs were hosted for several years at ‘The Lower East Side’, in the Newman Centre at 89 St. George Street. In June 1979 Hillel acquired office space in a house at 604 Spadina Avenue.
In the 1970s Hillel’s numbers across North America were in decline. In 1974 the Jewish student population at U of T was approximately 3000, but only 400 were registered members. This slump was apparently reversed by the end of the decade, however, when student interest grew enough that a general council of forty students was established to supplement the elected student council (steering committee). 1970s programs included conventions and retreats, United Jewish Appeal fundraising campaigns, a Shabbat co-op, a choir, the Coffeehouse lounge, a film series, a music club, a library society, an annual Purim Bash, an art festival, and counseling groups.
Hillel also served as the voice of Jewish students at the university. The U of T chapter participated in the fight against quotas for Jewish students and faculty, advocated for Kosher food availability on campus, and was successful in persuading the university to avoid having examinations on Jewish holidays. In addition, Hillel often represented the views of the Jewish community to the general student population. It has been involved in the dissemination of Holocaust awareness material and in counteracting propaganda against Israel.
In 1970, partnering with the Jewish Student Federation of York University, Hillel established the Free Jewish University. Its courses were held on the U of T and York campuses and featured free courses covering a range of intellectual, personal and practical topics. Also in conjunction with York, Hillel published Or monthly newspaper and the Masada quarterly magazine. The latter evolved into a non-partisan newspaper, Migdal, which in turn became Images in the early 1980s. In addition, the Jewish Students’ Enquirer was published monthly, a joint publication of Jewish students at U of T, York University, Ryerson Polytechnical Institute, and Seneca College.
In 1978, with a view to modernize and reinvigorate its image, Hillel changed its name to the Jewish Students’ Union–B’nai Brith Hillel. The decision involved some contention with the Hillel advisory board, and reflected a closer association with the Toronto Jewish Congress. A third unofficial organization name, J.U.S.T. (Jewish University Students of Toronto), was used for the monthly newsletter, J.U.S.T. News. This newsletter was briefly renamed The Rolling Scribe before being discontinued in 1980.
The 1980s saw Hillel coordinating the efforts and activities of a large number of interest groups: Student United Jewish Appeal, Toronto Student Zionists, Student Struggle for Soviet Jewry, Jewish Residence Council, Jewish Studies Course Union, Student Mobilization for Jews in Arab Lands, Moadon Aliyah, Canadian Branch: North American Jewish Students Network, and Israeli Students Organization. Hillel is now represented on three Toronto universities and three college campuses.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists mainly of textual records created, received and maintained by Hillel directors from 1945 through 1988. The records document the directors’ administration and programming activities, Hillel events, and relations with outside organizations. The most concentrated set of records are those of Rabbi Kamerling from the 1940s and 1950s. The fonds is comprised of correspondence, memoranda, reports, newspapers and newsletters, publicity material, calendars of events, financial records, event programmes, and catalogues. There are blueprints of the proposed extension to Hillel House in the 1960s, the mid-1970s renovations, and the new Hillel House on Huron Street considered in 1978. The fonds also includes annual reports for 1953-1955 and 1960-1970, and a number of publications (incomplete sets): the Hillelite and the Hillel Scribe from the 1940s, the J.U.S.T. (Jewish University Students of Toronto) News, its successor The Rolling Scroll, and newspapers Masada, Migdal, Reflections, Or, and the Jewish Students’ Enquirer.
The fonds contains 130 photographs, predominantly black and white, in the form of prints, contact sheets and 35mm negatives. Aside from 32 head shots of speakers and performers from 1950s events, the photographs date from the 1970s. There are images of plays, meetings, special events, and executive members.
Fonds is arranged with each director’s files separate and in approximate alphabetical order by file name. The files are loosely based on subject/function, likely as they were originally created. Rabbi Kamerling’s records are in two groups since they were acquired in two accessions (see note below).
Name Access
B'nai Brith Hillel Foundation at the University of Toronto (Toronto, Ont.)
Related Material
See MG 9 for a more complete run of publications with which Hillel was involved (eg. Midgal, Images).
Arrangement
Processing of the collection maintained each director’s files separate and in their original order. Following the Hillel House fire in 1978, Rabbi Kamerling’s records (1945-1955) were acquired by the Archives. In 1986, additional Kamerling files were acquired (1946-1970). These overlapping sets of records were described and processed separately.
Creator
B'nai Brith Hillel Foundation at the University of Toronto (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1978-3-7
1981-5-2
1988-11-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
Fonds
64
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1980
Physical Description
35 cm of textual records
10 photographs
41 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
Series contains reference materials created by and written about the synagogues. Primary records include commemorative booklets, a small number of newsletters, brochures, and programs from special events. There are also newspaper clippings and copied articles providing histories of synagogues. There is a small number of photograph prints and negatives, but many of the files also include photographs from books, magazines or photocopies. The series is arranged in alphabetical order by city, then by synagogue. Not every synagogue the project team researched has a reference file, and there may be reference files for shuls for which no photographs survive.
Subjects
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Elmdale Investments series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1955-[ca. 1983]
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
24 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
Elmdale Investments Ltd. was a corporation founded by Sol Edell in 1958. Sol Edell was the majority owner, although its shareholders also included his first wife Dolly, his second wife Celia and his father-in-law Moishe Weinstock. It was through this company that Sol Edell developed the Elmhurst Plaza property and managed the plaza. The corporation was still in existence at the time of Sol Edell’s death.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence and blueprints relating to the purchase of the property in 1956 and the construction of the Elmhurst Plaza in 1957. There are contracts and financial records dealing with the maintenance and rental of the plaza. Among the tenants listed were Oshawa Food Wholesalers and Power Supermarkets. The series also contains information about the shareholders of Elmdale Investments, Sol Edell's business cards, and company stationery.
Name Access
Elmdale Investments
Elmhurst Plaza
Oshawa Food Wholesalers
Power Supermarkets
Weinstock, Moishe
Subjects
Architecture
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Deltex Draperies Ltd. and Dodd's Draperies Ltd. series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1964-1993
Physical Description
8 cm of textual records
7 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
In 1964, Sol Edell invested in a retail textile store, Deltex Draperies Ltd., which had been founded by a group of businessmen including his cousin, Israel Edell. In 1971, they opened a second store, Dodd's Draperies Ltd., and in 1979, the two companies merged under the name Dodd’s Draperies Ltd.. In 1987, the store closed and the building was sold. During their lengthy business association, Israel Edell supervised the day-to-day operation of the stores while Sol Edell was responsible for the overall financial management and the construction of the new premises at 1445 Bathurst Street.
Scope and Content
Series consists of correspondence, minute books, documents of incorporation and stock certificates relating to the establishment of both Deltex Draperies and Dodd’s Draperies and the eventual merger of the two stores. In addition, series includes minutes and financial reports dealing with the operation of both companies. Also included are correspondence and blueprints relating to the construction of the building at 1445 Bathurst Street as well as the sale of that building.
Name Access
Deltex Draperies Ltd.
Dodd's Draperies Ltd.
Edell, Israel
Subjects
Business
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
7
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
graphic material
Date
1913-1999
Physical Description
22 cm of textual records
4 architectural drawings
2 photographs
Admin History/Bio
Shomrai Shabbos is an orthodox congregation which was founded in 1896. Sol Edell’s grandfather, Rabbi Yosef Weinreb, served as rabbi of the congregation from 1900 until 1942. The synagogue was in several downtown locations until it moved to its present location on Glengrove Avenue in North York in 1966. The congregation has grown steadily over the years and now has a membership of over 350 families. Sol Edell’s family were members of the congregation when he was a child. Although he retained his membership in the congregation after his marriage, he rarely attended the services at the synagogue. However, he did continue to participate in fundraising on behalf of the synagogue.
Custodial History
The earlier records were collected by Sol's grandfather, Rabbi Yosef Weinreb, or his father, Paul Edell. After their deaths, Sol maintained his membership in the congregation and continued to receive material from the synagogue.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the establishment, construction, membership and activities of the Shomrai Shabbos Synagogue. Included is correspondence, speeches, technical drawings, financial records, ledgers, a tribute book, legal records, flyers, bulletins, marriage certificate receipts, certificates, invitations, a photograph, and stationary.
Name Access
Felder, Gedalia, Rabbi
Yosef, Weinreb, Rabbi
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
Series
Fonds
4
Series
8
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1978-2008
Physical Description
17 cm of textual records
102 architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell had always been an active Zionist and in 1979 his son, Simcha, immigrated to Isreal. Following his son's aliyah, he became the founding chairman of the Aliyah Support Committee of the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and an active member of the local chapter of the Parents of North American Israelis. These two organizations respectively provide support for Torontonians and North Americans who have immigrated to Israel. This support includes facilitating the immigration process, providing financial assistance and maintaining contacts between the immigrants and the Toronto Jewish community. He was also involved with a group of Mizrachi members who wanted to build a housing project in Israel. Simcha Edell was an active member of the Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel which is an Israeli based organization that assists immigrants from North America. Sol Edell served as a liaison between this organization and the Toronto Jewish community. In addition, Simcha Edell, with his father’s assistance, published a directory of former Torontonians living in Israel, the Directory of Toronto Olim.
Scope and Content
The series consists of material relating to the assistance provided by the Toronto Jewish community to Torontonians who had immigrated to Israel. Included are records documenting the Aliyah Support Committee of the Toronto Jewish Congress, the Parents of North American Israelis, and the Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel. Records include correspondence, meeting notices, agendas and minutes, reports, publications, newspaper clippings, and Olim directories. Also included are architectural drawings of a housing project in Israel.
Name Access
Aliyah Support Committee, Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto
Parents of North American Israelis
Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel
Simcha Edell
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hoffman family fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
6
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
moving images
Date
1946-1981
Physical Description
17 cm of textual records
10 architectural drawings
ca. 9 film reels : 16 mm
Admin History/Bio
Max and Celia Hoffman were married in 1958 in Hamilton and had two sons. Max was the owner of Hamilton Plumbing and Heating Supplies. Both were active in a number of Jewish community organizations in Hamilton such as the Council of Jewish Organizations, Adas Israel synagogue and the Union of Jewish Congregations of America, Ontario Region. They were also involved in fundraising on behalf of Yeshiva University, which is located in New York City. Max Hoffman died in 1964 and Celia moved to Toronto in 1966 when she married Sol Edell.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of correspondence, ledgers, publications, home movies and architectural drawings relating to the family life, business and community activities of Max and Celia Hoffman. There are three series: Business Series, Community Activities Series and Personal Series.
Name Access
Adas Israel Congregation (Hamilton, Ont.)
Council of Jewish Organizations
Federation
Hoffman (family)
Subjects
Families
Creator
Hoffman family
Places
Hamilton (Ont.)
Accession Number
2002-12-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Residences sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Residences sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
4
Series
1-7
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
1955-1981
Physical Description
47 architectural drawings
1 folder of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Sol Edell became interested in construction in 1948 after he purchased a building and opened his drug store. He later built several commercial buildings. He also supervised the construction and renovation of his own home and the home of Mr. and Mrs. A. Weinstock (likely his in-laws). In addition, he took an active role in the construction and renovation of several synagogues in Toronto and Hamilton.
Scope and Content
Sub-series consists of invoices and technical drawings relating to the construction and renovation of the Edell and Weinstock homes in North York and Malton.
Subjects
Architecture
Physical Condition
Architectural drawings are in poor condition. They should be flattened and stored flat. The majority should also be encapsulated in melinex to prevent re-curling and to protect them from further damage (with the exception of the pencil drawings).
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Clanton Park Synagogue series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 6; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Clanton Park Synagogue series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
6
File
3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1956-[ca. 1985]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 photograph : col. ; 10 x 15 cm
2 technical drawings : brownline prints ; 35 x 83 cm
Admin History/Bio
Clanton Park purchased cemetery land from several synagogues and societies that had cemetery property that they did not need.
Scope and Content
File consists of a legal agreement relating to the purchase of Chevra Mishnias synagogue's cemetery lands by Clanton Park and correspondence from the Bathurst Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery Association. Also included is a photograph of Sol Edell standing near the gate to the Clanton Park Cemetery as well as technical drawings of the Clanton Park Cemetery Gate.
Name Access
Chevra Mishnias
Bathurst Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery Association
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Cemeteries and funeral homes series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 9; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Cemeteries and funeral homes series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
9
File
8
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
moving images
Date
1962, 1982-2000
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 architectural drawing : 62 x 62 cm
3 videocassettes (ca. 6 hr.) : col., sd. ; VHS
Scope and Content
File consists of a plot plan of Jones Avenue Cemetery which was prepared by Paul Edell (1962), and membership correspondence relating to the payment of dues and regulations regarding the arrangements for burial and the erection and dedication of monuments. Also included are financial reports and meeting agendas and minutes for annual general meetings. Finally, file contains moving images of the gravestones, outer wall, and chapel of the Cemetery with commentary likely by Sol Edell.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Business series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 2; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Business series
Level
Series
Fonds
2
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1898, 1941-1988
Physical Description
56 photographs and other material
Admin History/Bio
Ben Dunkelman’s involvement in business was wide-ranging. He served as president of Tip Top Tailors after his father and as president of Cloverdale Shopping Centre. He also, along with his wife Yael, opened the Dunkelman Gallery for modern art and Dunkelman's restaurant.
Scope and Content
Series consists of photographs, correspondence, pamphlets and papers documenting Benjamin Dunkelman’s business activities. The files are organized into three sub-series: Tip-Top Tailors, Constellation Hotel, and Dunkelman Gallery.
Notes
Physical description: Includes 6 cm of textual records, 5 architectural drawings, and 1 postcard.
Subjects
Business
Physical Condition
Most photographs are warped.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Business series
Constellation Hotel sub-series sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 2; Series 3-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
Business series
Constellation Hotel sub-series sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
2
Series
3-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
[196-?]-1988
Physical Description
39 photographs and other material
Admin History/Bio
Ben Dunkelman and Alex Hacker started the Constellation Hotel near Toronto's international airport in 1962. The hotel, at 900 Dixon Road, is now called the Regal Constellation Hotel.
Scope and Content
Sub-Series consists of photographs, architectural drawings and papers relating to the Constellation Hotel. These documents were originally organized in a scrapbook. The sub-series also includes a 1988 Toronto Star article referring to Dunkelman, co-owner Alex Hacker and the Constellation Hotel.
Notes
Physical description: Includes 2 folders of textual records, 5 architectural drawings, and 1 postcard.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
Sub-series
ID
Fonds 61; Series 1-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds
Executive director series
Architectural plans sub-series
Level
Sub-series
Fonds
61
Series
1-3
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
1950-1981
Physical Description
10 cm of textual records (4 v.)
30 drawings
Admin History/Bio
Page & Steele Architects were responsible for the design and construction of the Spadina and Bloor and Spadina Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. along with associate architects, Kaplan & Sprachman. The Bloor "Y" was completed in 1952.
The northern building was designed and constructed by W. Sefton & Associates Ltd. Consulting Engineers and Gordon S. Adamson & Associates Architects. The northern building was completed in 1961.
Scope and Content
This sub-series contains records relating to the design and construction of the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. at Bloor and Spadina and the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. on Bathurst Street in North York. The records include bound specifications detailing the labour, material and building methods for each of the buildings, as well as some architectural drawings of the northern building.
The records are arranged by project.
Accession Number
2004-5-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2004-3-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-3-6
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Physical Description
12 drawings: blueline and pencil: 111 x 77cm or smaller
1 folder of textual material
Date
1924-1981
Scope and Content
This accession consists of the original architectural plans of the Kiever Synagogue in Kensington Market as well as plans drawn by Martin Mendelow for the Synagogue's restoration in the early 1980s. Also included is a Mendelow drawing of the Minsk Synagogue and textual materials relating to the Kiever
Custodial History
Materials were kept by Martin Mendelow
Administrative History
Martin Mendelow is a well known architect working in the Toronto area. His professional association with the Kiever Synagogue began when he was hired as architect of the Synagogue's restoration, which was completed in the early 1980s
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Name Access
Anshei Minsk Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Kiever Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Menedelow, Martin
Places
Kensington Market (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Residences sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 1-7; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Personal series
Residences sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
1-7
File
6
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
Apr. 1981-May 1981
Physical Description
4 technical drawings : brownline prints ; 47 x 78 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of floor plans, elevation drawings, cross section drawings, detail sketches, and plot plan drawings for the alterations and additions to the Weinstock residence at the corner of Collinson Blvd. and Clanton Park Road. Mr. and Mrs. A. Weinstock were likely in-laws of Sol Edell.
Physical Condition
Records should be stored flat.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 8; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
8
File
1
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1965-1968, 1992
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 architectural drawings : brownline prints, hand col. ; 69 x 95 cm and 36 x 47 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence, notes, and site plans documenting various projects to build housing for new immigrants making Aliyah.
Physical Condition
Architectural drawings should be stored flat. One drawing has tears in it and looks like it has a section missing.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 8; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Aliyah series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
8
File
8
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
[1989?]
Physical Description
100 architectural drawings
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of photocopies of a newspaper clipping and architectural drawings for a housing project in Israel. The architectural drawings were photocopied in sections and some of the photocopies have been taped together to re-create the form of the original.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Heritage series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 10; File 25
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Heritage series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
10
File
25
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1980-1982
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 technical drawing : blackline print ; 76 x 111 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence and invoices from the architectural firm Martin Mendelow and Partners. Also included is one floor plan of the Kiever Synagogue.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11; File 42
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
11
File
42
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1977-1984
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
24 photographs : col. (14 negatives) ; 9 x 13 cm
1 technical drawing : blueline print ; 30 x 90 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of event invitations and correspondence as well as floor plans and photographs likely documenting the construction of the Ulpanot Orot Girls' High School.
Name Access
Ulpanot Orot Girls' School
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Committees series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 2; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Committees series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
2
File
12
Material Format
architectural drawing
textual record
Date
1979-1980
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 drawings : blackline, pencil and crayon ; 89 cm x 58 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of records related to the Visual Arts Advisory Board of the Koffler Centre of the Arts. Records include meeting minutes and agendas, a Koffler Gallery 'Update', the Koffler Gallery list of goals and recommendations, registration form for the Koffler Gallery Hopping 1 exhibit in Detroit-57 Masterpieces from the collection of Baron Thyssen-Bornemisza. Aslo included are architectural drawings for the Koffler Centre of the Arts Main Lobby Study #1 by Jane's Studio and the Jewish Community Centre Koffler Centre of the Arts, Art Wing Floor Plan, by Jerome Markson Architects.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Committees series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 100; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Committees series
Level
Series
Fonds
100
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1970-2006
Physical Description
11 cm of textual records
2 drawings
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the activities and functions of the various cultural committees of the Koffler Centre, the YM-YWHA and the BJCC. Included are meeting minutes, correspondence and reports, correspondence with the Canada Israel Cultural Foundation and 2 architecutural drawings of the Koffler Centre of the Arts.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Jewish Book Fair series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 100; Series 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Jewish Book Fair series
Level
Series
Fonds
100
Series
7
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1976-2013
Physical Description
20 cm of textual records
1 drawing
Admin History/Bio
An annual Jewish Book Week had been considered for several years before the completion of the new Jewish Community Centre (formerly the Y.M.-Y.W.H.A) in 1977 made it feasible. After considerable research, and communication with other communities which had sponsored similar programs (such as Detroit), it was agreed that the success of of the projected Fair would be dependent upon the ability to achieve total community sponsorship. An approach to the Federation of Jewish Women's Organization led to their agreement to serve as co-sponsors; they in turn were followed by the Jewish Cultural Council of the Toronto Jewish Congress and the Jewish Public Library. These four organizations were the initial sponsors, and provided the first representatives to the newly formed Board of Directors.
The first Jewish Book Fair was held in 1977 and featured a large book mart with books of Jewish relevance as well as programming for children and adults.
The Canadian Jewish Book Awards was founded in 1988 by Adam Fuerstenberg whose ambition was to celebrate excellence in Canadian Jewish writing. The Koffler Centre of the Arts was approached to manage the Awards in 1994 and has been administering the Awards program ever since. The name was eventually changed to the Canadian Jewish Book Awards and then again in 2004 to the Helen and Stan Vine Canadian Jewish Book Awards following a 10-year donation from Lillian and Norman Glowinsky. In 2015, the Koffler Centre of the Arts put the Awards on hiatus for one year in order to reframe the program. It was relaunched in 2016 as The Vine Awards for Canadian Jewish Literature.
In 2012, the annual event evolved into Toronto Jewish Book Festival, combining the Book Fair and the Helen and Stan Vine Canadian Jewish Book Awards into one week-long event. In 2013 its name was changed to the Toronto Jewish Literary Festival.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the Jewish Book Fair. Included in the files are meeting minutes, correspondence, press releases, award ceremony program guides, book award submissions and award winner lists, jury citations, financial statements, committee member lists, sales reports, book evaluation and submission criteria, mission statement, the 25th anniversary tribute book, an architectural drawing of the Lipa Green building, a letter from the Canadian Holocaust Remembrance Association addressing the participation of Edward Greenspan, lawyer for Ernst Zundel, at the Jewish Book Fair and a contract letter outlining the details of the donation made by Mr. and Mrs. Norman Glowinsky to the Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto and the subsequent renaming of the Canadian Jewish Book Awards to the Helen and Stan Vine Canadian Jewish Book awards for a period of ten years commencing May 2005-June 2014.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
House Committee sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 38; Series 7-10; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
House Committee sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
38
Series
7-10
File
3
Material Format
architectural drawing
graphic material
textual record
Date
1961-1981
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 artistic drawings : 52 x 53 cm or smaller
13 architectural drawings : 92 x 60 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of several architectural drawings of the new Council House, the parking lot and walkways; two artistic drawings, an application for registry under the Land Titles Act and a survey plan of the lots. The architect was Harry B. Kohl and the consulting engineers, Ryka, Smith and Ginsler Limited.
Source
Archival Descriptions
28 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language