Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
3 records – page 1 of 1.
Accession Number
2007-7-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-7-10
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
19 photographs : b&w
1 folder of textual records
2 books
1 CD
1 vest and 1 hat
Date
1938-1986
Scope and Content
This accession consists of material documenting the donor's family, particularly her father, Nathan Rivelis. The items include a vest and hat worn by her father during the late 1950s as part of the Lion's Club. It also consists of an oral history of her father conducted in 1983; his school primer and English reader; photographs of the business and Hebrew classes; certificates; and finally, newspaper clippings.
Identified photographs are as follows:
01. Nate Rivelis with Rivelis staff, ca. 1982.
02. Lions club executive, ca 1955.
03. Rivelis storefront, [195-].
04. Rivelis interior, [195-].
05. Rivelis storefront, 1986.
Administrative History
The Rivelis family owned a large clothing store in North Bay from 1926 until 1986 called Rivelis. They sold men's and women's mid-range clothing and became famous in town for their annual sale held on November 16th. The business grew from a small family-run store to a large department store with twelve employees.
In addition to running the business, Nate Rivelis was also involved in the local Lion's Club and was the president of this organization from 1957-1958. He was the only Jewish member at that time. In addition, he also served as the president of the Hebrew school during the 1940s.
Subjects
Communities
Business
Name Access
Rosen, Rheta
Rivelis, Nathan
Places
North Bay (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-8-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2007-8-9
Material Format
textual record (electronic)
graphic material (electronic)
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 compact disc
21 photographs (electronic) : b&w and col.
16 textual records (22 jpg files)
Date
[192-]-[198-]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of scanned copies of original documents and photographs depicting the Jewish community of North Bay and the Brown family. The records relate to various individuals in the community, including the donor, as well as the Sons of Jacob Congregation. The items include scans of photographs, correspondence, employment contracts with various spiritual leaders, newspaper clippings, and High Holiday lists.
The compact disc contains a scan of the Synagogue's letters-patent from 1924. The original textual records include a copy of the Synagogues' constitution from the 1950s and a photocopy of a cartoon drawing depicting members of the North Bay B'nai Brith lodge.
Custodial History
The original records are in the possession of the donor. The OJA was granted permission to scan the records in August 2007, as part of the Ontario Small Jewish Communities initiative. These copies were then donated to the Archives on 2007-08-17.
Descriptive Notes
Associated material note: Herb Brown fonds 029 and fonds 032, series 02 at the Nipissing University and Canadore College Archives and Special Collections.
Places
North Bay (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Address
7861 Chemin River
Source
Landmarks

B’nai Brith’s Ottawa Lodge 885 was officially founded in February 1921 with 25 members. The Ottawa Lodge supported a Jewish Boy Scouts camp which evolved into the first Ottawa B’nai Brith summer camp for Jewish youth in 1935. Since 1935, the camp has delivered traditional camping programs to their community regardless of affiliation, denomination or financial means. Their mission has been to provide children and youth with the opportunity to experience the outdoors, learn new skills and develop life-long friendships while enhancing Jewish values, traditions, affiliation and community.
Address
7861 Chemin River
Time Period
1935-present
Scope Note
B’nai Brith’s Ottawa Lodge 885 was officially founded in February 1921 with 25 members. The Ottawa Lodge supported a Jewish Boy Scouts camp which evolved into the first Ottawa B’nai Brith summer camp for Jewish youth in 1935. Since 1935, the camp has delivered traditional camping programs to their community regardless of affiliation, denomination or financial means. Their mission has been to provide children and youth with the opportunity to experience the outdoors, learn new skills and develop life-long friendships while enhancing Jewish values, traditions, affiliation and community.
Category
Camps and Resorts
Source
Landmarks

Narrow By

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content