Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
234 records – page 1 of 5.
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
6
Material Format
textual record
Date
2000-2013
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of program guides for the School of Music Concert and Special Performances series.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
16
Material Format
textual record
Date
2005-2010
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a copy of In Print, a compilation of press reviews, program guides and promotional material.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Art Exhibitions series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 100; Series 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Art Exhibitions series
Level
Series
Fonds
100
Series
8
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1969-2013
Physical Description
66 cm of textual records
56 photographs : col. (20 slides) : 21 x 6 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the Koffler Centre art exhibitions. Included are catalogues highlighting works by the artist, artist statements, bios and CVs, promotional material for Koffler Gallery and off-site exhibits, press releases and clippings, art reviews, exhibit program guides, exhibit proposals, program overviews, correspondence, legal contracts with artists, photographs and slides of works by the artist.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 28
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
28
Material Format
textual record
Date
2009-2010
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of promotional material and correspondence relating to the Treasures in Jewish Literature book review series.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 33
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
33
Material Format
textual record
Date
2010
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of administrative and promotional material for Elon Gold's performance: Half Jewish, Half Very Jewish held at the Just for Laughs Festival.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 34
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
34
Material Format
textual record
Date
2010
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of promotional material for Israeli jazz artist Avishai Cohen's CD launch Aurora held off-site at the Elizabeth Bader Theatre. Also included is correspondence, a Jewish Tribune review, license agreements, an artist bio, and Aurora lyrics.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 35
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
35
Material Format
textual record
Date
2010
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of records documenting the Koffler Centre of the Arts perfomances and events. Included in the file is promotional material for Jaffa Road with Eccodek held off-site at Lula Lounge.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 36
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
36
Material Format
textual record
Date
2010
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a schedule of events for Downtown Tikkun Leil Shavuot, a copy of a presentation by Sara Feldman Tauben entitled "Shuln and Shulelach; Here and There, Large and Small Synagogues Europe and Montreal; Late 19th and Early 20th centuries" and a brief bio of Les Klein, Architect and event speaker.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 37
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
37
Material Format
textual record
Date
2010
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of promotional material for the Jaffa Road concert, administrative material, an introduction for the event by Evelyn Tauben and completed evaluation forms of the event.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 38
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
38
Material Format
textual record
Date
2010
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a program guide for the Stars of the 21st Century, Koffler Centre of the Arts Gala held at the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 39
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
39
Material Format
textual record
Date
2011
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of promotional material for Wanted, a fundraising concert performed by Kinky Friedman in support of the Koffler Centre of the Arts, a license agreement, an introduction to the event by Lori Starr, Executive Director of the Koffler Centre, and administrative material pertaining to the event
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 40
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
40
Material Format
textual record
Date
2011
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of an information brochure entitled Envision, 2011 Program Highlights promoting the Koffler Centre of the Arts membership campaign.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 41
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
41
Material Format
textual record
Date
2012
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of promotional material for Rikudiyah, an Israeli Dance Festival for Children.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 42
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
42
Material Format
textual record
Date
2012
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of promotional material for HoneyComb, a Musical Journey into the Sacred held at the Lawrence Centre for the Arts, a license agreement, correspondence and administrative material.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 43
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
43
Material Format
textual record
Date
2012
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of promotional material for the Koffler Centre of the Arts and 2012 Luminato presentation of Tel Aviv's Batsheva Dance Company's performance of Sadeh21.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9; File 44
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
9
File
44
Material Format
textual record
Date
2012
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of promotional material and an invitation to an evening of live music and stories celebrating Jewish creativity in pop, rock, jazz and R&B. Concert performers include Randy Bachman, the Sadies and Melanie Fiona.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 100; Series 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Performances and Events series
Level
Series
Fonds
100
Series
9
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1977-2013
Physical Description
42 cm of textual records
1 sound recordings (1 CD)
7 moving images (2 DVDs, 4 VHS, 1 CD)
357 photographs : (1 DVD)
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the Koffler Centre of the Arts' performances and events. Included are program guides, promotional material highlighting visiting Israeli artists and Koffler Centre of the Arts fundraisers, Stars of the 21st Century Galas and off-site performances, correspondence, administrative material, legal contracts, perfomance videos and photographs, media releases, press clippings and reviews.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Bookmark Project series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 100; Series 10; File 25
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Bookmark Project series
Level
File
Fonds
100
Series
10
File
25
Material Format
textual record
Date
2010
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of records documenting the Koffler Centre of the Arts Bookmark Project entitled Amulet. Included in the file are submissions by the artist including an artist statement, CV and bookmark description.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Bookmark Project series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 100; Series 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Bookmark Project series
Level
Series
Fonds
100
Series
10
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
2002-2010
Physical Description
17 cm of textual records
48 slides : col. ; 35 mm
Admin History/Bio
The Bookmark Project was a part of FLEX, an ongoing program of site-works and interventions at the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre, organized by the Koffler Gallery and coinciding with the annual book fair at the BJCC.
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting the Koffler Centre of the Arts Bookmark Project. Included are Bookmark Project guidelines, submissions by individual artists with written statements identifying the relationship of their bookmark to the project theme, CVs, media releases, press clippings, slides and correspondence.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 100
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Koffler Centre of the Arts fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
100
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1967-2013
Physical Description
1.9 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
The Koffler Centre of the Arts was established in 1977, as part of the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre at Bathurst Street and Sheppard Ave., to enrich the cultural life of Toronto through arts education and exhibitions. The Koffler exists to encourage and develop the creative and artistic potential of the diverse community it serves. The Koffler Gallery as a public gallery and member of the Ontario Association of Art Galleries exhibits, interprets and documents works of excellence in the visual arts with a focus on contemporary Canadian art, including the work of visual artists, emerging artists, and programming of special interest in the Jewish Community.
The Koffler has offered an array of programmatic, education and learning programs, including national and international art exhibitions, educational tours and workshops, literary arts programs, art classes, lectures, concerts, film screenings, and theatre performances. The Koffler has also served public and private school students and their teachers through Koffler Gallery exhibition tours and workshops.
The Koffler Centre is governed by an executive board, standing and ad-hoc committees and is funded by endowments, donations and sponsorhips as its primary sources of funding. The Koffler also receives annual operating support from the UJA Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto and all levels of government, including the City of Toronto, the Ontario Arts Council and the Canada Council. The staff consists of an Executive Director, curators, and administrative support staff.
In 2013, after five years of off-site programs, the Koffler Centre of the Arts opened its administrative offices and the new Koffler Gallery at Artscape Youngplace on Shaw Street in downtown Toronto. The Artscape Youngplace facilities showcase Koffler Gallery exhibitions, public programs, expanded school and education programs, as well as Koffler cross-disciplinary programs – literary events, theatre readings and performances, concerts, workshops and more.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the activities and functions of the Koffler Centre of the Arts and its role in bringing Jewish-inspired visual, dance, dramatic and musical arts to the community. Included are records related to its Board of Directors and committees, its former affiliation with the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre and the YM-YWHA, building campaigns, financial operations, art exhibitions, the Jewish Book Fair and Bookmark Project, educational programming, performances and special events. Records include meeting minutes, memoranda, correspondence, committee reports, budget and financial statements, press clippings and reviews, program guides, art exhibition catalogues, artist statements and CVs, promotional material, photographs, architectural drawings, a sound recording and moving images. The fonds is arranged into the following ten series: Board of Directors, Committees, Planning and Development, Financial and Administrative, Public Relations, Educational Programming, Book Fair, Art Exhibitions, Performances and Events and the Bookmark Project.
Notes
PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION NOTE: Includes 672 photographs, 3 architectural drawings, 1 sound recording, and 7 moving images.
Name Access
Koffler Centre of the Arts (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Arts and popular culture
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
10 St Andrew Street
Source
Landmarks
Address
10 St Andrew Street
Time Period
1930
History
It was founded by poor Jewish immigrants from Russia (mostly Minsk) in 1912. The current Byzantine Revival building was completed in 1930. The congregation has had only three full-time rabbis: Meyer Levy (1916–1921), Meyer Zimmerman (1940–1954), and Shmuel Spero, who has served from 1988 to the present. It is the only Orthodox synagogue in downtown Toronto with a full-time rabbi, and the only one that holds daily services.
Category
Religious
Source
Landmarks
Address
187 Brunswick Avenue
Source
Landmarks
Address
187 Brunswick Avenue
Time Period
1914-present
History
During the early 1980s, newcomers to the synagogue introduced an alternative egalitarian service in the basement, which eventually became the main service in the sanctuary. The Synagogue underwent renovations in the early 1980s, and again more recently, in an effort to accommodate its new members and to provide for its future as a neighborhood synagogue. In recent years, the First Narayever has become one of the most well-attended and active synagogues in the downtown area.
Category
Architecture
Religious
Source
Landmarks
Address
25 Bellevue Avenue
Source
Landmarks

The congregation of Rodfei Sholom Anshei Kiev, commonly known as the Kiever, dates back to 1912.
Address
25 Bellevue Avenue
Time Period
1927-present
Scope Note
The congregation of Rodfei Sholom Anshei Kiev, commonly known as the Kiever, dates back to 1912.
History
The first few members had little means for funding a new synagogue in 1912, so services at this time were held in a rented house on Centre Avenue in the Ward.
In 1917, the Kiever acquired a house at 25 Bellevue Avenue in Kensington Market and by 1923 the Kiever congregation raised enough funds to build a synagogue large enough to accommodate its growing numbers. The Kiever Executive contracted Benjamin Swartz, a Jewish architect, to design the current synagogue at 25 Bellevue, which replaced the two houses that had been used for services. The Synagogue was completed in 1927, after three years of construction. Today, the Kiever is a vibrant synagogue and one of a handful of synagogues remaining in the downtown area.
Category
Architecture
Religious
Source
Landmarks
Address
134 D'Arcy Street
Source
Landmarks

The Shedlover Shul was a small a synagogue established by immigrants from Szydlow, Poland in 1914. The Yiddish and Russian pronunciation is Shidlov.
Address
134 D'Arcy Street
Time Period
1914-
Scope Note
The Shedlover Shul was a small a synagogue established by immigrants from Szydlow, Poland in 1914. The Yiddish and Russian pronunciation is Shidlov.
Source
Landmarks
Address
24 Cecil Street
Source
Landmarks

The Labour Zionist Order was an outgrowth of the Labour Zionist party in Israel (the Mapai party). They carried out a number of different functions. They were pro-labour and pro-Zionist. They acted as a mutual benefit society—the Labour Zionist Alliance or Farband, formally known as the Jewish National Workers Alliance or Farband Labour Zionist Order. They also operated a school for children called the Farband Folks Shule (later Bialik Hebrew Day School). There was a fundraising organization that they oversaw called the Israel Histadrut of Toronto whose annual campaign raised money for the Israel Histadrut in Israel (the Federation of Labour in Israel), founded in 1920. The campaign money was used to fund economic, trade union, military, social, and cultural activities in Israel, as well as to provide a comprehensive system of health insurance and hospital services to workers. The Israel Histadrut campaign in Toronto had an autonomous executive board, however it's activities were overseen by the Labour Zionist Order.
Address
24 Cecil Street
Time Period
1922-
Scope Note
The Labour Zionist Order was an outgrowth of the Labour Zionist party in Israel (the Mapai party). They carried out a number of different functions. They were pro-labour and pro-Zionist. They acted as a mutual benefit society—the Labour Zionist Alliance or Farband, formally known as the Jewish National Workers Alliance or Farband Labour Zionist Order. They also operated a school for children called the Farband Folks Shule (later Bialik Hebrew Day School). There was a fundraising organization that they oversaw called the Israel Histadrut of Toronto whose annual campaign raised money for the Israel Histadrut in Israel (the Federation of Labour in Israel), founded in 1920. The campaign money was used to fund economic, trade union, military, social, and cultural activities in Israel, as well as to provide a comprehensive system of health insurance and hospital services to workers. The Israel Histadrut campaign in Toronto had an autonomous executive board, however it's activities were overseen by the Labour Zionist Order.
History
The Labour Zionist Order purchased the house at 24 Cecil Street in 1922 and established a library in it. It was called the Farband Institute.
Category
Political
Organization
Source
Landmarks
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
14
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1917-2011
Physical Description
2.82 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
As early as 1916 the Ezras Noshem Society (a mutual benefit society for Jewish women) started to raise funds to purchase and renovate what would become The Toronto Jewish Old Folks' Home (Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care’s forerunner) after its members recognized the need for a home in Toronto where the Jewish elderly could receive kosher meals and communicate with staff in their own language. Property at 31 Cecil Street was purchased in 1917 and sometime between September 1918 and January 1920 the Home officially opened there. The Home was run by a small staff and the women of Ezras Noshem who volunteered their time to make beds, cook kosher meals, do laundry and sponsor fundraising events. By 1938 the Home had expanded into its neighboring houses at 29, 33, and 35 Cecil Street and was caring for 115 residents. It provided residents with synagogue services, a hospital ward and social activities. At this time the Home also became a member of the United Jewish Welfare Fund.
In 1946, the need for a larger and more modern building prompted a fundraising campaign, which was headed by Abe Posluns, to purchase and build a new facility. In December 1954, the new building opened at 3650 Bathurst Street and consisted of two new institutions: The Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital. This location continued to expand over the years, including a new building for residents in 1968, an apartment building for seniors called the Baycrest Terrace in 1976, and a community centre known as The Joseph E. and Minnie Wagman Centre in 1977. These additions enabled Baycrest to expand its programs to include a day care program, recreational programs, and a Sheltered Workshop which was run in cooperation with the Jewish Vocational Service and provided residents with employment. In 1986 a new Baycrest Hospital was erected, and in 1989, the Rotman Research Institute, which is also affiliated with the University of Toronto, opened to create a research facility where top researchers could study and find new treatment methods for the elderly.
In recent years, Baycrest’s services and programs have continued to expand. In 2000, the Apotex Centre, the Jewish Home for the Aged and the Louis and Leah Posluns Centre for Stroke and Cognition opened to help residents with progressive dementia caused by vascular disorders. In 2001 a condominium building opened at 2 Neptune Drive for seniors, and in 2003 the Sam and Ida Ross Memory Clinic was established to provide out-patient services for seniors with memory disorders. Baycrest Centre also provides numerous cultural and religious programs for the inhabitants and the greater community, including a heritage museum, art exhibits and a Holocaust program.
Custodial History
Records were donated to the OJA in a series of accessions from a variety of sources, including the Baycrest Women's Auxiliary and the Multicultural Historical Society of Ontario.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the history, governance, and activities of the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. Included are meeting notices, agendas and minutes, correspondence, reports, speeches, photographs, artifacts, constitutions, publications, press releases, financial records, event invitations, programs, a scrapbook, a poster, lists, theatrical scripts, newspaper clippings, brochures and booklets, flyers, a land deed, certificates, schedules, annual calendars, cards, questionnaires, and lists.
Fonds is arranged into eleven series: 1. Board of Directors and Executive Committee; 2. Annual General Meetings and Annual Reports; 3. Committees and meetings; 4. Women's Auxiliary; 5. Men's Service Group; 6. Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home; 7. Programs and services; 8. Religious services; 9. Fundraising; 10. Publications and publicity; and, 11. Events. Records are described to the file level with some item level descriptions.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 1102 photographs, 4 coins, 2 posters, 1 badge, 1 pin, 1 key chain, 1 postcard, and 1 pen.
Associated material note: related material at Library and Archives Canada includes a small Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care fonds, and the Eric Exton fonds. For architectural records see the Irving D. Boigon fonds 243 at the City of Toronto Archives (Boigon was an architect who designed many of Baycrest's buildings between the 1970s and 1990s). Contact Baycrest Centre's Heritage Museum for committee records from the 1930s, and consult Baycrest's website to access electronic copies of current issues of Baycrest's publications.
Name Access
Baycrest centre
Jewish Old Folks Home
Jewish Home for the Aged
Baycrest Hospital
Ezras Noshim society
Ezras Noshem Society
Subjects
Health services and medicine
Organizations
Seniors
Related Material
See Gordon Mendly Fonds 18, series 3-4; Jewish Vocational Services of Toronto fonds 75; United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds 67; accession # 2009-6-2; Dora Till Fonds 52; J. Irving Oelbaum Fonds 24; Jewish Community Centre of Toronto fonds 61, series 1-1; Gilbert Studios fonds 37; Ben Kayfetz fonds 62, series 3, file 3; JFWB fonds 87, series 6, files 5 and 6; JIAS fonds 9, series 7, file 1; Harold S. Kaplan fonds 27, series 1-4, and Morris Norman fonds 22.
Creator
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, 1917-
Accession Number
1982-11-1
1983-11-2
1988-2-7
1979-9-17
1979-9-23
1987-9-7
2004-5-50
MG 2 O 1A
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
52 East Fox Lake Rd.
Source
Landmarks
Address
52 East Fox Lake Rd.
Time Period
1933-present
Category
Camps and Resorts
Source
Landmarks
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; Series 11; File 32
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
General community activities series
Level
File
Fonds
4
Series
11
File
32
Material Format
textual record
Date
2010
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a 50th jubilee booklet.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 4; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Solomon Edell fonds
Level
File
Fonds
4
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1959-2010
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of Sol Edell's personal correspondence and general correspondence with a wide range of Jewish communal organizations.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2012-2-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-2-6
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1970-2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records created by Holy Blossom Temple. Included is an introduction book to Reform Judaism written by Rabbi Dow Marmur, a collection of three sermons by Rabbi Harvey J. Fields, various pamphlets and event notices, board nomination documents, membership renewal documents, a tribute book to Cantor Benjamin Z. Maissner, an anniversary book celebrating 125 years, two newsletters prepared by Rabbi W. Gunther Plaut, and records related to the proposed renewal of the Temple and its sanctuary.
Custodial History
It is unclear where all of these items originated. Some may have been given to the Archives in passing by Nancy Draper, an OJA volunteer. They were pulled together by the archivist and assigned this accession number.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-1-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-1-9
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
Date
2010-2011
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 1 box of gittin (religious divorce records).
Use Conditions
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director and Rabbi in charge of gittin (or Chair of the Reform Rabbis of Greater Toronto) prior to accessing the records.
Descriptive Notes
Gittin are in sealed envelopes and identified by the surname(s) of parties involved. The start date assigned to this accession may not be accurate as the gittin are sealed and not all are marked with a date on the envelope.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-3-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-3-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
2008-2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records documenting the events and programs of the Koffler Centre of the Arts. Included are annual program guides, Jewish Book Fair brochures, invitations, and event programmes.
Custodial History
No donor information available. Archivist has assigned this accession number.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-3-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-3-1
Material Format
graphic material
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
2 photographs : col. (1 jpg) ; 10 x 15 cm
Date
[2012?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a photograph taken by Jack Hecker of the site of the former Agudath Israel Anshei Sfard Shul (151 Palmerston Ave.). A duplex house currently occupies the site. The text on the duplex building was added in by Jack Hecker.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Synagogues
Buildings and structures
Name Access
Agudath Israel Anshei Sfard Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-3-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-3-7
Material Format
moving images
Physical Description
2 CDs (1:22 and 52:15)
Date
2009-2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of two CDs of the Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto's Book of Life ceremonies from 2009 and 2010. The CDs feature introductions and speeches as well as individual recognition of the honourees.
Custodial History
The CDs were transferred by Janice Benatar, Senior Endowment Associate for the Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto.
Administrative History
The Book of Life, established by the Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto in 2003, is an ever-growing collection of stories written by donors who have left a legacy to the Jewish community by way of a bequest in their will, a life insurance policy, or with a permanent endowment fund at the Foundation. The Book of Life is stored at the Lipa Green Centre where it is also available in digital format. It is also on the internet (see http://www.feduja.org/bookoflife/)
Use Conditions
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-1
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
198 photographs : col. (jpgs) ; 520 MB
Date
2011
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 198 digital images on one CD documenting the groundbreaking, construction and dedication of the Jewish War Veterans of Canada monument on the Sherman Campus of the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. The photographs were taken between September 11 and November 11, 2011.
Custodial History
The images were on the personal computer of Amek Adler, Vice-President of the Jewish War Veterans of Canada and chair of the monument committee. They were copied onto CD for the archives.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: please see accession 2011-8/11.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-4-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
7 poster prints : col. ; 44 x 50 cm or smaller
Date
[199-]-2011
Scope and Content
Accession consists of leadership development award and volunteer recognition award posters. The earliest dates between 1991 and 1997 as the name reads Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto. The others are from the 2000s with the last being created in 2011.
Custodial History
These items were sent to the Archives by Jeff Springer, COO of UJA Federation of Greater Toronto.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-19
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-7-19
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
51 photographs (tiff)
Date
1980-2011
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs documenting the activities of the Chmeilnicker Charitable Society including the annual "Hazkarah", teas, and an unveiling of the monument at Lambert Cemetery.
Administrative History
The Chmeilnicker Society was started in Toronto after the Holocaust by survivors. In its early years, the Society played an important role in the lives of the newly-arrived groups for socializing with people who had shared similar experiences in Europe. They organized picnics, women's teas, celebrate Yom Yerushalaim, Channukah parties and an annual "Hazkarah", a memorial service for those who died in the war. The Hazkarah continues to be the most important activity of the group today.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-9-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-9-4
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Date
2009-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the signed pages form the Foundation's Book of Life for the years between 2009 and 2012.
Custodial History
The records were transferred to the Archives by Janice Benatar, Senior Endowment Associate with the Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto
Administrative History
The Book of Life is a collection of family stories from those who have left a financial legacy with the Jewish Foundation. The book is both hardcopy and online. A complete list of Book of Life signatories can be found on their website at: http://www.jewishfoundationtoronto.com/Our-Activities/Book-of-Life
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-11-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-11-1
Material Format
graphic material
object
textual record
Physical Description
5 cm of textual records
5 objects
25 photographs
Date
1945-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to The Lizzies and the Lizzies Old Timer Association including newspaper articles, membership lists, a proclamation, booklets, articles, photos, 1 hat, 2 shirts, and 1 luggage tag.
Custodial History
This material was gathered together by Bronstine and Cornack and donated to the Archives. Further accruals from other former Lizzies are expected.
Administrative History
The Lizzies were a collection of sports teams that played amateur baseball and basketball in Toronto starting in 1912 in the school yard of the Elizabeth Street School. This “Playground” was situated in Toronto’s first Jewish quarter, St. John’s Ward, or simply “The Ward”. Supervised by the Parks Department’s Playground and Recreation branch, these playgrounds were popular places for inner-city children. They hosted athletic teams that competed in intramural competitions. The Lizzies won more than 150 titles at the city, provincial, and national levels in baseball, basketball, football, and hockey.Bob Abate (1893-1981), coached the Lizzies’ teams for 26 years and in 1990, the Elizabethan Recreation Centre (at Grace Street and Bloor Street West) was renamed the Bob Abate Recreation Centre in his honour. The Lizzies Old Timers Association is run by Harvey Bronstine and Norm Cornack and they bring together the remaining members of the Lizzies annually at a dinner.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-2-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-2-3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
20 cm of textual records
ca. 100 photographs
Date
[190-]-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to three generations of the Ladovsky family and their restaurant, the United Bakers Dairy Restaurant. Also included is a small amount of material related to Jewish organizations in Toronto, such as the Kieltzer Society and B'nai Brith, as well as the Bakery and Confectionary Union. Records include family and business photographs, correspondence, newsclippings, UB menus and other ephemera, and records related to family simchas and celebrations.
Custodial History
The records were created and accumulated by Aaron Ladovsky, Herman Ladovsky and Ruthie Ladovsky.
Administrative History
Aaron Ladovsky was born in 1888 in Kielce, Poland. He immigrated with his wife Sarah to Toronto in 1906 at the age of 18. Soon after arriving, Aaron Ladovsky worked to help form a Jewish bakers’ union to advocate for collective rights among Jewish Bakers. In 1912 he opened the United Bakers Dairy Restaurant at Dundas and Bay Streets (known then as Agnes and Teraulay Streets respectively) in the heart of the Ward. That same year, the couple had twin sons Herman and Samuel, who were born on September 23, 1912.
Only a short time later, in 1920, Aaron moved the location of his restaurant to 338 Spadina Avenue, just north of Dundas. He and his family lived in an apartment upstairs. Herman and Samuel attended Hester How Elementary School until 1919, Lord Lansdowne Public School once the family moved to Spadina, and later Central Commerce. The twins worked in the family business in the 1920s delivering fresh breads and buns by horse cart.
Aaron Ladovsky was involved in a number of community organizations. He was instrumental in founding the Kieltzer Society of Toronto in 1913; a community based immigrant-aid association extending aid to Kielcers in Poland and around the world. Ladovsky remained an active member of the organization until his death on April 5, 1960 . His restaurant provided a welcome gathering place for the Jewish community, serving traditional dishes and maintaining a friendly open-door policy. Aaron Ladovsky was known for his generosity and claimed that no one, whether they had money or not, left his restaurant hungry. The United Bakers' menu was mainly based on Sarah’s original recipes, and continues to be so to this day.
During the Second World War, Herman served overseas as an electrician in the Canadian army show with comics Johnny Wayne and Frank Shuster. After returning from the war, he married Dora Macklin in 1947, a registered nurse from Regina. He also began to take over management of the family business. Later, his son Philip and daughter Ruth would follow in his footsteps, helping to run the restaurant with him and later taking over managment. United Bakers remained on Spadina Avenue for 66 years – until 1986 when it moved to its current location at 506 Lawrence Avenue West, off of Bathurst Street. Herman was an active fixture in restaurant until his death on January 6, 2002. He also supported and was involved in the work of the Ontario Jewish Archives over the years. Today, Philip and Ruth carry on the family tradition of running United Bakers Dairy Restaurant.
Descriptive Notes
To be integrated into the Ladovsky family fonds 83.
Subjects
Personal and family life
Name Access
Ladovsky, Herman
Ladovsky, Aaron
United Bakers Dairy Restaurant (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-5-2
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
10 cm of textual records and other material
Date
2011-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the 100th anniversary celebration of Congregation Knesseth Israel. The records were compiled in an indexed binder by Edwin Goldstein, president of the synagogue. Included are newsclippings, press releases and advertisements; invitations and programs; a commemorative calendar; a volunteer t-shirt, a kippa and a gift bag; correspondence with the Ontario Trillium Foundation; information on a guided architectural walking tour of the area; an Israel Today DVD featuring the synagogue; the book "One Hundred Years at the Junction Shul" written by Neil Ross and Lorne Miller; and a DVD compilation featuring video and photographic highlights from the various anniversary events.
Administrative History
Congregation Knesseth Israel was established in 1911 at 56 Maria Street in the West end of Toronto. Early 20th century membership in the synagogue consisted mainly of new jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe, many of whom lived and worked in the Junction as artisans, peddlers, shop owners and scrap and metal collectors. Known as the Junction Shul, Knesseth Israel Synagogue was built with the labour and funds provided by the founding members and their families.
Orthodox services first began in 1913 and since the 1930s the synagogue has functioned without a rabbi, with services being led by a cantor or the congregants themselves. Some family names associated with this early period include: Alexandroff, Goldstein, Nickolaevsky, Kronis, Greenblatt, Usprich, Tanenbaum, and Naftalin.
Knesseth Israel is the oldest Toronto synagogue still in use as a synagogue today and is now cared for by the descendents of these founding families. Although members of the synagogue are now few (as the Jewish population of the Junction has waned greatly since the 1960s), the synagogue still performs High Holiday services for some 75-80 full members and 300 associate members.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 1 text, 3 objects and 2 DVDs.
Subjects
Synagogues
Events and celebrations
Name Access
Congregation Knesseth Israel (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-7-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-7-7
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
7 cm of textual records
Date
1923-2012, predominant 1923-1945
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records documenting Paula Epstein's family, particularly her parents Benjamin Gorman and Lillie Goldstein. Included are passports, Ben Gorman's high school transcripts, Ben and Lillie's marriage certificate (ketuba), Lillie's high school graduation program (1931, Central High School of Commerce), and records related to Ben's company, Gorman Knitting Mills Limited, including sock patterns. Also included are letters that were sent to Ben and Lillie before and during the Second World War from Ben's parents, brother (Jack) and cousins (the Stencil family) who were living in Poland. Finally accession includes one family memoir written by Paula's husband, Stanley Epstein. This memoir predominantly traces the history of the Epstein family (Nova Scotia), but also includes information about the Goldstein family (Toronto) and Gorman family (Toronto).
Administrative History
Benjamin Gorman was born in Rypin, Poland on 12 Oct. 1909 to Shmuel Pesach and Michla Gorman (nee Stencil). He came to Canada in 1928 after finishing high school matriculation in Poland. He was the first person in his town to ever pass the matriculation exam held in Warsaw. In Toronto, he married Lillian (Lillie) Goldstein on 1 Sept. 1939. They had three children together: Paula, Samuel, and Alvin. In 1953, Ben founded and operated a sock manufacturing company called Gorman Knitting Mills Limited. It's original location was 955 Eastern Avenue, but it re-located in 1963 to 1360 Birchmount Road in Scarborough.
Lillie Goldstein was born in Toronto on 10 Feb. 1914 to Harry and Rachel Goldstein. She was a medical secretary for many years and later worked in the family business as a bookkeeper. She was a member of the Karen Or Group where money was raised for muscular dystrophy with an annual card night that was held at the community centre at Eglinton Park.
Descriptive Notes
Language note: English, Yiddish, Hebrew, and Polish.
Subjects
Personal and family life
Name Access
Gorman, Benjamin
Gorman, Lillie
Epstein, Paula
Epstein, Stanley
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-7-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-7-8
Material Format
textual record
moving images
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 optical disc (48:20 min.) : col. ; DVD
35 photographs : col. ; 16 x 11 cm
Date
2006-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the military career of Corporal Tamar Freeman, particularly her 6-month deployment to Kandahar, Afghanistan. Included is postcard and email correspondence sent to her parents detailing issues of camp life, her religious observance, as well as her role as a medic; a DVD of the film "Sisters in Arms" written and directed by Tamar's sister, Beth Freeman; newpaper clippings and articles on Tamar and the film "Sisters in Arms"; photographs of Tamar receiving an award from the Canadian Jewish Congress, of her family greeting her at the airport upon return to Canada, a portrait of Tamar with another soldier and General Hillier, as well as images taken of fellow soldiers and the surroundings while in Afghanistan.
Administrative History
Corporal Tamar Freeman (1967-) is the daughter of Harvey and Gilda Freeman. She began her military career as an army reservist in 1990. As a reservist, she committed one day per week and one weekend per month to working in hispitals on board ships and in defence research facilities. In 2006, she joined the regular infantry as a medic in the Second Field Ambulance unit. She served in Kandahar for 6 months between 2006 and 2007 as a medic treating wounded soldiers, Afghan allies and civilians. She also served as part of the Provincial Reconstruction Team at a village medical clinic. She received the Alan Rose Award for International Human Dignity from the Canadian Jewish Congress in 2007. Corporal Freeman is currently stationed at Base Borden in Ontario.
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Descriptive Notes
Use restrictions note: Personal emails are confidential and require the permission of Tamar Freeman before accessing.
Subjects
War and military
Name Access
Freeman, Tamar
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-7-15
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-7-15
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
13 film reels (ca. 3 hrs.) : b&w and col., si. ; 16 mm and other material
Date
[ca. 1938]-1965, 2013
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting both sides of Sharon Abron Drache's family: the Abramowitz's/Abron's and the Levinter's. Included are film reels with footage of both the Abramowitz and Levinter families as well as an album documenting a Jewish National Fund Negev tribute dinner in honour of David Abramowitz's 70th birthday. The album includes congratulatory letters and telegrams, photographs, newspaper clippings, and one vinyl recording entitled "Great Moments of Beth Tzedec". Identified in the photographs are David Abramowitz and Nathan Phillips.
Accession also includes a copy of an oil painting of Jacob Levinter that was by Kenneth Forbes, a wedding portrait of Sharon Abron Drache (1965) by Al Gilbert, and Sharon's curriculum vitae (2013).
Custodial History
Sharon found these records in her home. She inherited them from her parents. The film reels had been stored in an old suitcase in her building's storage locker.
Administrative History
Murray Abramowitz was born in 1912 in Toronto. His parents were David (1884-1963) and Sarah (nee Winfield) (1885-1955). David arrived in Toronto in 1906. Sarah and her parents, Jacob and Anna, settled in Scranton, Pennsylvania around 1880. Jacob worked as a grocer and relocated his family to Toronto around 1894. Sarah and David were married at the McCaul Street Synagogue in Toronto on 6 March 1906. They resided at 159 York Street after their nuptials. The couple had three children: Rose (1907-2001); Oscar (1910-1986); Murray (1912-2005). David's father, Shevach, served as the lay cantor at the First Roumanian Hebrew Congregation (now Adath Israel). David owned the Men’s shop in the Union Station and his sister, Sophie Abramowitz, ran the Ladies shop. The shops were located on the east end of the Great Hall beneath the composite glass windows. Rose Abron Lahman became a physician, specializing in obstetrics and gynecology. Initially she practised in Toronto and then in Atlanta, Georgia. Rose graduated from the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto when there were quotas for both women and Jews.
Murray married Edythe (née Levinter) on 8 June, 1941. The event took place at the bride's family's home above their furniture store, J. Levinter Ltd, at 1169 Bloor Street West. The couple had one child, Sharon Abron Drache. Murray began using the Abron surname during the 1940s, changing it legally in the 1950s.
During his life, Murray worked as an hotelier and ran several businesses. They included the Rex Hotel in Toronto and Tent City at Lake Simcoe (ca. 1935-1945) and the St. Lawrence Hotel in Port Hope (1949-1955). When Murray managed the Rex Hotel he was a 50/50 partner with his mother's brother-in-law, Leo Hertzman. Leo owned and managed the store, United Clothing, which fronted the Rex hotel on Queen Street at the south side of the beverage room. When Leo’s son Harold Hertzman returned from military service in 1945, Leo bought out Murray’s share in the business for Harold. Jack Ross and Morris Meyers purchased the hotel from the Hertzmans in 1951. Murray was also a co-owner of the Tent City business with his father, David Abramowitz, coinciding with his Rex hotel years. During the late 1950s he worked as a real estate broker in Toronto and Florida. From the 1960s to the early 1970s he worked in his mother-in-law’s furniture business, J. Levinter Ltd. After Murray retired from the furniture business he became a stock broker. His hobbies included fishing, photography and storytelling. He died on 10 October 2005.
The Levinter family was headed by Samuel and Rebecca (née Godfried). They were both born in Austria (Galicia) and came to Canada in their teens. After their marriage in 1890, they resided in St. John's Ward. The couple had seven children: Jacob (b. 1892); Etta (b. 1894); Manny (b. 1895); Isadore (b. 1898); Molly (b. 1900); Rose and Dolly. Isadore became a prominent Toronto lawyer and was the first Jew appointed as a bencher at the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Samuel established Levinter Furniture in 1890. The business was initially located at 401-405 Queen Street. By 1925 Samuel had relocated his store to 287 Queen Street West and his son Jacob had opened a second location at 1169 Bloor Street West. Jacob later expanded his location to 1171 Bloor Street West. Samuel died on April 30, 1942; Rebecca died in 1952. Jacob married Sara Kamin (b. 1894, Lodz, Poland) on 25 June 1916. They had six children: Edythe (1918 -2011); Alfred (1919-1919); Evelyn (1922-2006); Murray (1925-); Molly (1926 -); Florence (b. 1930-). Jacob died of a heart attack in 1944. After his death, Sara took his place as owner and manager of the family business grooming her son Murray to succeed her. Sara’s daughter Molly had an early career as a concert pianist in Toronto and New York. Sara died in Toronto in 1990.
Sharon Abron Drache attended Forest Hill Collegiate (g. 1962) and then completed an undergraduate degree and post-graduate diploma in Psychology at the University of Toronto, the latter from the Institute of Child Study. She was enrolled as a special student in the Department of Religion at Carleton University from 1974-78. She has published four books of adult fiction, The Mikveh Man, Ritual Slaughter, The Golden Ghetto, Barbara Klein Muskrat – then and now, and two children's books, The Magic Pot and The Lubavitchers are coming to Second Avenue. She has also worked as a literary journalist and book reviewer for several newspapers and journals including, The Globe and Mail, Ottawa Citizen, Books in Canada, the Glebe Report and the Ottawa and Western Jewish Bulletins.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 1 album, 1 painting, 1 photograph, and 1 folder of textual records
Associated Material Note: please see Sharon Drache's fonds at Library and Archives Canada and at the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library at the University of Toronto for material related to her literary career. Please see Sharon Drache's fonds at the Ottawa Jewish Archives for material related to her journalism career. Finally, for additional material related to Sharon's family please see her fonds at the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library at the University of Toronto.
Related Material Note: see accessions #2010-12/8 and #2010-3/1 for addtional records donated to the OJA by Sharon Abron Drache.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-8-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-8-2
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
2.7 m of textual records (35 v.)
6.3 m of photographs : b&w and col.
Date
1949, [197-]-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of bound Canadian Jewish News newspapers from 1996 to 2012; bound copies of the Canadian Jewish Review from 1949 and the Canadian Jewish News' photograph collection. The photographs are arranged alphabetcially by subject, with the exception of two blocks of photographs related to "rabbis" and "places".
Custodial History
The records were in the custody of the Canadian Jewish News.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Subjects
Communications and publishing
Name Access
Canadian Jewish News
Places
Canada
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-9-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-9-1
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
textual record
Physical Description
3 photographs (tiffs) : col.
1 folder of textual records
Date
2005-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of graphic material and a textual record documenting the Transnistria Survivor Association. Included are three photos: 1) Member Arnold Buxbaum standing in front of Memorial for Transnistria at Earl Bales Park; 2) Arnold Buxbaum and Joe Leinburd at UJA Foundation Event, 2011-12; 3) Hazkarah, 2005 at Sharei Shomayim Synagogue. There is also a speech by Arnold Buxbaum presented in 2011 at Sharei Shomayim Synagogue.
Custodial History
Originals were loaned for reproducing.
Administrative History
Founded in 1994, the Transnistria Survivors’ Association works to provide a voice for and raise awareness of a lesser known group of Holocaust survivors. Transnistria was the Romanian authorities’ name for the former Ukrainian region located between the Rivers Dniester and Bug. It was placed under Romanian administration following the German and Romanian conquest of Ukraine in the summer of 1941. Prior to the Second World War, Romania was home to the third largest Jewish population in Europe; but beginning with the Citizenship Revision Laws of 1938, the Jews of Romania were deprived their citizenship rights and became the targets of repressive antisemitic policies and laws. Neighbours turned on neighbours. Thousands of Jews were murdered in pogroms, either by Romanian or German troops, Nazi Einsatzgruppen, or the local population. In 1941, the Jews who remained alive in the Provinces of Bucovina and Bessarabia were deported to camps and ghettos in Transnistria. Thousands were jammed into freight trains while others were marched by foot. Many died along the way. Between 1941 and 1944, it is estimated that German and Romanian authorities, along with Ukrainian collaborators, murdered or caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Romanian and Ukrainian Jews in Transnistria. Some of those who survived these tragic circumstances, especially from Bucovina and Bessarabia, and made a new home in Toronto gathered together to lend each other support and to tell their largely unknown story of oppression and survival. The Transnistria Survivor’s Association organized yearly Hazkarah (memorial) services and its dedicated members continue to share their extraordinary stories of survival through speaking engagements at schools, colleges and synagogues. Past presidents include:
1. Felicia (Steigman) Carmelly
2.Osias Nadel
3.Etti Ziegler
4.Lou (Leizer) Hoffer
As of 2017, the current President is Joe Leinburd.
Subjects
Societies
Holocaust
Name Access
Transnistria Survivors Association
Buxbaum, Arnold
Leinburd, Joe
Hoffer, Lou
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-12-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-12-2
Material Format
moving images
textual record
Physical Description
3 DVDs
1 folder of textual records
Date
2007-2013
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records collected by Miriam Beckerman. Included are oral history interviews with Miriam in Yiddish, a video of Miriam reading the Megillah in Yiddish on Purim at the Free Times Cafe on College Street in Toronto, a recording of author Lily Poritz Miller's appearance on the TV Show Israel Today as well as a brochure for her novel The Newcomers. Finally, the accession includes a program booklet for the Simcoe Chapter Lambda Alpha International fraternity's 46th annual meeting. Edward Levy was honoured at this meeting.
Administrative History
Miriam Beckerman (nee Dashkin) is a Yiddish literature translator. She attended the Farband Folkshule in Toronto during the 1930s and later worked as a bilingual secretary (Yiddish and English) at the Ontario Region, Canadian Jewish Congress. In 1946, she travelled to Israel where she met her husband, Moshe Beckerman, at a kibbutz. The couple and their children emigrated from Israel to Toronto in 1952. Beckerman continues to work as a Yiddish translator. She has a number of published translations, including her recent collaborative work "A Thousand Threads: A story through Yiddish letters." Her work has been recognized by the Dora Teitelboim Foundation of Coral Gables, Fla. Moshe passed away in 1993.
Descriptive Notes
Language note: Yiddish and English.
Name Access
Beckerman, Miriam
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-12-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-12-4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
moving images
Physical Description
11.1 m of textual records and other material
Date
[ca. 2000]-[ca. 2010]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records related to the operations of the CJC Ontario Region. Included are records related to the activities of the Community Relations Committee, reports, correspondence, political affairs records, communications, meeting minutes and agendas, photographs, and moving images of various events.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: Includes graphic material and audio-visual records
Subjects
Organizations
Name Access
Canadian Jewish Congress, Central Region (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-12-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-12-10
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
90 cm of textual records
Date
[ca. 2002]-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the records of the Ontario Jewish Archives, particularly those originating from former Director, Ellen Scheinberg. The records include programming material, correspondence, memos, reports, meeting minutes, financial records and publicity material relating to the general operations and planning, programming, exhibit curation, special projects, and acquisition of records at the OJA.
Administrative History
The Ontario Jewish Archives (OJA) was established in 1973 and remains in operation today. The OJA’s mandate is to acquire, preserve, and make available records documenting Ontario’s Jewish community. The Archives became a legal corporation on 24 February 1977 with authorization from the Federal Corporations Act and the Provincial Letters Patent.
The Toronto Jewish Historical Society (TJHS) established an Archives Committee in 1971, to preserve the records of Toronto’s Jewish community. This prompted the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC) Central Region to work with the TJHS to establish an organization that would preserve records of Jewish communities across Ontario. At a CJC Central Region Officers’ meeting in 1973, TJHS president Victor Sefton proposed that the Historical Society’s Archives Committee become an official arm of the CJC. After approving the proposal, the CJC Central Region allocated a budget for operation of the Archives, and the two Committees merged, forming one archival organization that operated under the umbrella of the CJC Central Region.
After the Toronto Jewish Congress (TJC) formed in 1976, the Archives became accountable to the TJC but continued to report to the CJC Central Region. In 1992, the TJC and CJC transferred responsibility for the Archives to the United Jewish Appeal (UJA) Federation, and the Archives remains part of that organization today.
The OJA’s administrative structure includes a Board of Directors, the director of the archives, archivists, an assistant archivist, contract employees, and volunteers. The Board of Directors consists of six to twelve members, each approved by UJA Federation and current Board members. Meetings are held a minimum four times per year and are presided by a Chair or the Vice Chair in the Chair’s absence. The Archives Director manages daily operation of the Archives. From 1973 to around 2000, Stephen Speisman acted as Director of the Archives. Ellen Scheinberg served as Archives Director from October 2002 to January 2011. Dara Solomon began as the OJA's Director in May 2012.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-1-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2014-1-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 1.3 metres of textual records
Date
1975, [ca. 1996]-2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual material documenting the governance and activities of the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto. Included are records of the Board of Directors, Board of Trustees, the Investment Committee and the Bequest and Endowment Fund as well as other material relating to Israel @ 50, Mission '98, Mission 3000, the Tomorrow Campaign, and Jewish Education. Records include meeting agendas and minutes, annual budgets for UJA Federation, AGM invitations, AGM programs, UJA Federation annual reports, by-laws, constitutions, manuals, flyers, travel itineraties, reports on Jewish education and reports relating to the Lebovic Campus and BJCC Tomorrow Campaign projects. Of note is a 1975 UJWF study on Jewish Education.
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Descriptive Notes
USE CONDITIONS NOTE: UJA Federation records are closed for 10 years from date of creation.
Name Access
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
Source
Archival Accessions
234 records – page 1 of 5.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content