Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
31 records – page 1 of 1.
Accession Number
2016-5-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-10
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1.4 m of textual records and graphic material
Date
1851-2014
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records reflecting the academic, personal and literary life of Dr. Gerald Tulchinsky. The bulk of the material relates to Canada's garment industry, including photocopied reference material from various sources, reports and statistics, research notes, articles and graduate thesis on the topic, reminiscences by those in the industry and original records from specific firms and associations situated in Ontario and Quebec. Also included are manuscripts and accompanying material for Shtetl on the Grand and a book on the Canadian Clothing Industry, lecture notes, family correspondence and photographs, and the last will and testament of Anne Tulchinsky. All of the material from 1851-1935 are photocopies of original records.
Administrative History
Dr. Gerald Tulchinsky is Professor Emeritus at Queen's University, Department of History, and author of several books on the history of Canadian Jewry and labour issues in Canada. His books include: Shtetl on the Grand (2015); Joe Salsberg: A Life of Commitment (2013); Canada's Jews: A People's Journey (2008); Branching Out: The Transformation of the Canadian Jewish Community (1998); Taking Root: The Origins of the Canadian Jewish Community (1992); and The River Barons: Montreal Businessmen and the Growth of Industry and Transportation, 1837-53 (1977). Tulchinsky was born in Brantford, Ontario in 1933 to Harry and Anne Tulchinsky. He currently resides in Kingston, Ontario.
Use Conditions
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing the records.
Descriptive Notes
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE: This accession also includes numerous books, some of wihch don't relate to our mandate and others which are duplicates of our current holdings. The books that we have retained have been integrated into the OJA's library holdings. USE CONDITION NOTE: Access restricted until ten years after the donor's death, at the donor's request.
LANGUAGE NOTE: Some of the material is in French.
Subjects
Business and commerce
Labour and unions
Name Access
Tulchinsky, Gerald, 1933-
Places
Montreal, Que.
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4010
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4010
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[18--]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Cohen, Abraham
Subjects
Business and commerce
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-9-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4811
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4811
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[18--]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Admin History/Bio
Abe Stocker was the great grandfather of the wife of Ray Havelock.
Name Access
Stocker, Abe
Havelock, Ray
Talmud
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1985-10-9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4987
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4987
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[187-]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Admin History/Bio
Lipman Walters was from Holland. The family name was originally Wolters.
His father had died of wounds fighting in the Dutch army against Napoleon. His mother was given the choice of a widow's pension or a lump sum. She took the latter and settled in Philadelphia with 5 children.
Lipman later settled in Toronto where he was an early member of Holy Blossom. He married Marianne Segaar.
Scope and Content
Photograph was probably taken in Toronto.
Name Access
Walters, Lipman
Segaar, Marianne
Holland
Philadelphia
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 2857
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
2857
Material Format
graphic material
Date
14 March 1876
Physical Description
1 slide
Name Access
Ladies' Benevolent Fund
Ladies' Benevoloent Society
Subjects
Societies and associations
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1981-2-9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1273
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1273
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[before 1918]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Identified in this photograph are: Mr Causen, Mr Frankel, Zalman Cohen, Dave Gold, Mr Mitchell, Lewis Freedman, Gittel Shapiro
Name Access
Farband
Subjects
Sports, recreation and leisure
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1977-4-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 3060
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3060
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1877
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
Original photograph by Symonds & Co., 39 High St., Portsmouth.
Name Access
Jacobs, Rabbi Solomon
England
Subjects
Occupations and professions
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1981-7-5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
1987-10-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1987-10-2
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
7 cm of textual records and graphic material (approximately 57 photographs : b&w)
Date
[ca. 1842-1946]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of correspondence, photographs, birth certificates, marriage certificates, a German passport, a medal, postcards, Jewish Immigrant Aid Society of Canada receipt vouchers, parchment prayer scrolls, City of Toronto bicycle licenses, and other material relating to Chaim and Hena Silbiger and family of 51 Baldwin Street, Toronto. There are also photographs of Toronto scenes such as Harbord Bakery, Dibble Oil Truck (Manny Rotman), Harbord Fish Market, and a Belle Ewart street scene.
Photo Captions (001 - 012): Toronto Street Scenes, [194-]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, Accession # 1987-10-2.
Photo Caption (002): Street view of Alter and Goldie Kosower's Harbord Bakery, (Toronto, ON), [194-]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, Accession 1987-10-2.
Custodial History
Material was donated by Suzanne Harning and was found in a house on Harbord St., west of Spadina Ave.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-35
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-35
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
5 cm of textual records
Date
1876-1938
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the Canadian Jewish Congress Special Refugee Committee (1938), the history of pioneers of Toronto's Jewish community, Dorothy Dworkin and the founding of Mount Sinai Hospital, biographies of Toronto rabbis, the Canadian Nationalist Party (1930s), the consecration of the Jewish Synagogue on Richmond Street (Holy Blossom), and a B'Nai Brith research project on the early Jewish community of Toronto.Documents of interest include biographies of Rabbis F.M. Isserman (Holy Blossom 1925-1929), Maurice Eisendrath (Holy Blossom 1929-1943), and Norman Shapiro (Goel Tzedek and Beth Tzedec 1949-1955), an autobiography of the life of Dorothy Dworkin (1907-1911), a reprint of a 1912 artcicle in the Jewish Times on the history of the pioneers of Toronto's Jewish community during the nineteenth century, and an antisemitic proclamation by the Canadian Nationalist Party.
Custodial History
There is no acquisition information for this accession. It was assigned the accession number by the archivist.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-9-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
7 microfilm reels
Date
1856-1969
Scope and Content
Accession consists of seven microfilm reals documenting the early years of Holy Blossom Temple in Toronto. Reels are as follows:
Reel 1: Minutes, 1856-1901; Building Committee, 1894-1897.
Reel 2: Minutes, 1894-1900; Collection Books, 1902-1919; By-laws and Minutes, 1939-1956; By-laws for Holy Blossom Cemeteries; Minutes, 1930-1947; Building Committee, 1937; New Synagogue, 1938.
Reel 3: By-laws and Minutes, 1939-1956.
Reel 4: Register of Toronto Hebrew Congregation; Births, 1857-1868; Marriages, 1851-1894; Burials, 1848 -1900; Large Marriage Register 1858 -1878; By-laws 1876-? (Handwritten), 1894, 1904, 1929, 1949,1955 (printed); By-laws Cemeteries ?-1921; Cash Books, 1900; Monthly Cash Books, 1919; Letterpress copy book and instructions for use; Records and letters from 1891; Letterbooks, 1891-1894; Aliyah Book (which is a small hard cover indexed book containing names of members in English and Hebrew, used for calling members to bless and read the Torah) ca. 1890; January 1921- Ecumenical Service; February 1928- first Canadian exchange of pulpits with Rev. E. Crossley Hunter of Carlton Street United Church and Rabbi Abraham Feinberg participating; Toronto Hebrew Ladies Sick and Benevolent Society Minutes instituted in January 1868, original charter 9 July 1877, later became Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society; Centennial preparation, committee, service, memorials and interview reports with older members of the congregation.
Reel 5: Collection Books, 1884 -1919.
Reel 6: Officers' Minutes, 1952-1964; Board and Annual Meeting Minutes, 1964-1965; Board Minutes, 1966-1967; Board of Trustees Minutes, 1968-1969; Officers, Trustees & Committee Chairmen; Minutes, 1965-1969.
Reel 7: 11 May 1967 onward
MG_RG
MG 3 A1
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Holy Blossom Temple (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-6-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-6-4
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 11 cm
Date
[18--]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one studio photograph of a Jewish family. Written on the verso of the photo is the date May 1944 and the name [Esther Shulman?]
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-3-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-3-5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
15 cm of textual records
18 photographs : b&w
Date
1872-1991
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records related to the activities of the Pullan and Smith families of Toronto and the Moses family of Sudbury. The records consist of several ledger books including the minutes of the Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue in Sudbury, a financial ledger book belonging to the Cooperative Board of Jewish Charities, as well as the Jewish Ladies' Aid Society account book. Also included is the Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue's constitution and by-laws. There are also receipts, programs, stationary and other items documenting Jewish organizations in Toronto, such as the Menorah Society, the Associated Hebrew Schools, Holy Blossom Temple, and the Jewish Old Folks' Home, and two files of vital records related to the Rosen and Dubrofsky families.
In addition, there are several photographs of particular note, such as four photographs of the Jewish orphanage, both during the period at 218 Simcoe Street and later on Annette Street. There are also two early photographs of the U of T Menorah Society executive.
Custodial History
These records were in the custody of Susan Moses, the granddaughter of Elias Pullan and Hascal Moses.
Name Access
Associated Hebrew Charities of Toronto
Ladies' Hebrew Aid Society
Jewish Day Nursery and Children's Home
Smith, Lillian
Smith, Nathan
Pullan, Elias
Pullan, Harry
Moses, Hascal
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-6-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-6-10
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
graphic material
textual record (electronic)
textual record
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w and sepia (2 jpg) ; 14 x 9 cm
1 textual record (7 jpg files)
1 folder of textual records
Date
[ca. 1870]-2008
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records documenting the Posluns family of Toronto. They include two scanned copies of photographs and one original, depicting various members of the Posluns family such as the family patriarch, Yosef ben Abraham and a copy photograph of the Tip Top Tailors building under construction in 1928.
The textual records consist of one electronic copy of a short history of the Posluns family, taken from Samuel Bernstein's biography, as well as a copy of a YMHA bulletin cover page from June 15, 1934, featuring a message from the president, Louis Posluns.
Custodial History
The records were loaned to the OJA on June 17, 2008 to be copied and returned to the donor.
Administrative History
A history of the Poslaniec (Posluns) family can be found online at: http://www.posluns.com/tree/pdfs/poslaniec.pdf
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Name Access
Posluns, Wilfred, 1932-2010
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
Fonds
64
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1980
Physical Description
35 cm of textual records
10 photographs
41 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
Series contains reference materials created by and written about the synagogues. Primary records include commemorative booklets, a small number of newsletters, brochures, and programs from special events. There are also newspaper clippings and copied articles providing histories of synagogues. There is a small number of photograph prints and negatives, but many of the files also include photographs from books, magazines or photocopies. The series is arranged in alphabetical order by city, then by synagogue. Not every synagogue the project team researched has a reference file, and there may be reference files for shuls for which no photographs survive.
Subjects
Buildings and structures
Religion
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 64
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
64
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1859-1980, predominant 1977-1979
Physical Description
ca. 5178 photographs and other material
Admin History/Bio
The “Shuls Project” was the work of three University of Toronto architecture students, who in 1977 wrote a research paper on the eight Toronto synagogues built before World War II. Concerned at the lack of resources on these synagogues, Sidney Tenenbaum, Lynn Milstone and Sheldon Levitt foresaw the loss of communities’ recorded history as membership dwindled and elders passed on. The students conceived a project that would photograph and document every synagogue in Canada, gathering visual evidence, memorabilia, plaques and stories before they disappeared and history was lost. The students’ goal was to document synagogues’ architecture, art, and historical development through research, interviews and site visits.
The students secured a large portion of the required funding for the project from the Samuel and Saidye Bronfman Family Foundation in Montreal, funding which was matched by the Canadian Jewish Congress. This financial support enabled Levitt, Milstone and Tenenbaum to begin their study, named “Shuls… A Study of Canadian Synagogue Architecture.” They began in the summer of 1977, traveling through the Western provinces. The next summer, they visited eight Maritime cities, Montreal and other Quebec communities. Financial support in the project’s second year was again provided by the Bronfman Family Foundation, along with the Canadian government and donations in kind from businesses, including Benjamin Photo Finishers in Toronto, and Polaroid. The summer of 1979 was spent in Ontario, with an added grant from Wintario. In total, the Shuls project team traveled over 24,000 kilometres, taking thousands of photographs and conducting several hundred interviews. Photographs were taken by Tenenbaum, with Levitt and Milstone assuming primary responsibility for researching synagogues’ history and gathering historic records. Interviews were conducted by all three researchers, in both English and Yiddish.
With no handy index of every shul in Canada, the researchers located small shuls by word of mouth. They spread word of their project and solicited assistance using press releases, letters to known communities, and slideshow presentations as they traveled. They would first examine a building to get an idea of a community’s character and heritage, then conduct interviews with designers, architects, rabbis and other prominent community members.
With the research and photographs created, the team compiled three catalogues of the Western, Eastern/Quebec, and Ontario phases of the project. These catalogues have entries on each synagogue that include historical summaries highlighting the founding, growth, mergers and decline of Jewish communities, their changing needs, changing architectural expressions and trends, and the evolving uses of synagogues over the course of the twentieth century. There are also building descriptions, some with critical comments by the authors, and lists of the photographs and slides produced.
The compilation of materials and preparation of these catalogues took place at the Project’s offices at 26 Ava Road in Toronto, and continued through the summer of 1980 when the Ontario catalogue was completed. In 1985, Tenenbaum, Milstone and Levitt published a book highlighting their work, called Treasures of a People: The Synagogues of Canada.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the records created and collected by the team of students conducting the Shuls study from 1977 to 1980. The majority of the fonds is made up of graphic material, in the form of 35mm colour slides and black-and-white Polaroid prints and (print-size) negatives. There are approximately 5110 photographs in the fonds. Fonds also consists of notes and inventory forms of buildings' architectural features. There are no interview transcripts, but the fonds does include three audio cassettes with recorded interviews and shul tours. Reference materials used in researching the history of the shuls include dedication and anniversary commemorative books and programmes, newsletters, articles and newspaper clippings. In addition the fonds contains 47 blueprints, the majority from Montreal synagogues. The fonds is arranged in the following series: 1. Quebec synagogues; 2. Ontario synagogues; 3. Western Canada synagogues; 4. Eastern Canada synagogues; 5. Reference.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 92 cm of textual records, 42 architectural drawings, 3 audio cassettes, and 1 drawing.
Physical extent note: many of the slides were culled because they were felt to be reproductions. Some of the synagogue images in the research book may therefore not be included in the fonds.
Subjects
Buildings and structures
Religion
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Creator
Levitt, Sheldon
Milstone, Lynn
Tenenbaum, Sidney T.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 41
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
41
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains photocopied articles, a newspaper clipping, photocopied photographs, a greeting card with photograph on cover, copies of the 1859 contract commissioning the erection of the synagogue as well as a list of specifications for the masons, and blueprints for the 1967 extension.
Subjects
Buildings and structures
Religion
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Zionist Organization of Canada fonds
Central Region sous-fonds
Conventions series
National conventions sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 28-1; Series 5-2; File 26
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Zionist Organization of Canada fonds
Central Region sous-fonds
Conventions series
National conventions sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
28-1
Series
5-2
File
26
Material Format
textual record
Date
1958
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
The file consists of brochures and booklets including: "10 reasons why you should buy Israeli bonds", "Facts about Israel," "Israel 1958 - 10th Israel Summer Institute," "A decade of freedom," and the programme of the national conference of the Canadian Association for Hebrew Education and Culture.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Collection
ID
Fonds 22
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Collection
Fonds
22
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1856-1995
Physical Description
1.1 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Morris Norman (b. 1946) is a chartered accountant living and working in Toronto. He is an avid collector of Canadiana, specifically Judaica. He purchases lots at auction and donates them to the Ontario Jewish Archives, as well as other institutions.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of the individual items collected at auction by Morris Norman. The records relate to the Toronto Jewish community and Ontario Jewry and include textual documents, photographs, near-prints, publications, artifacts, posters and broadsheets, sound recordings, and ephemera. Most of the items relate to various Jewish organizations, businesses, synagogues and individuals, and to Christian missionary work in Toronto. The material has been described at the file level, or where appropriate, the item level.
There are also four distinct series of records which document Berul Sugarman, who was a concert violinist and orchestral leader; the Franklin family, who owned a large amount of property in Toronto in the late 1800s and early 1900s; radio and television scripts written by Wayne and Shuster, Henry Karpus and Russell Bradley; and a collection of Turofsky photographs.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 49 objects, 25 photographs, 7 audio recordings and 4 prints.
Name Access
Norman, Morris
Norman, Jessie
Creator
Norman, Morris (1946-)
Accession Number
1995-9-3
1995-9-4
1995-9-8
1996-6-3
1996-7-3
1996-9-1
1997-7-1
1998-1-1
1998-3-44
1998-7-2
1999-10-1
2000-7-4
2000-12-3
2001-3-3
2001-4-3
2001-8-5
2001-10-6
2001-11-1
2002-4-1
2002-5-1
2002-7-1
2002-9-1
2002-10-5
2002-10-58
2002-12-3
2003-5-3
2003-10-6
2004-7-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 22; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
Series
Fonds
22
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1856-1958
Physical Description
38 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Abraham Franklin (ca. 1844-1905) and his wife Frances (Fanny) Franklin (ca. 1844-1908) came to Canada from Germany in 1865, via the United States. Together they had seven children: Jacob (John), Henry (Harry), Hyman (Herman), Annie (m. Robinson), Simon (Sam), Dora and Katie.
Abraham began as a picture frame dealer on York Street, later becoming a second hand clothing store owner with his wife on Queen Street West. By 1890, Abraham had established a jewellery store named Franklin Brothers, with his sons Jacob and Henry, and by the early 1910s also owned A. Franklin & Sons. The two businesses continued to operate simultaneously as a pawn shop, a jewellery store, and even a bicycle repair shop.
The Franklin family owned many large plots of valuable land in downtown Toronto, which they leased out to individuals and businesses, including Eaton's. Their land was located on the north side of Albert Street from James Street to Bay Street; along Gerrard Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets; and along Walton Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets. Later, the children inherited the property held by their parents, which had extended around the Queen Street West and Portland Avenue area.
In 1916, stemming from family concerns over her upcoming marriage to Elias Robinson, Annie Franklin transferred ownership of her portion of the inherited Franklin estate to her brothers, Henry, Hyman, and Simon for a cost of $25,000 to be held in trust for her.
Scope and Content
This series contains residential and commercial leases between various members of the Franklin family and the building occupiers, as well as deeds of land documenting the purchase or transfer of land. Also included are statutory declarations, mortgage papers and some family legal documents.
The documents have been arranged into files by property and have been described at the file level. There is also a separate file for the family legal documents and for a set of invoices submitted by the Franklin family barristers.
Accession Number
2002-5-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 22; Series 2; File 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
Fonds
22
Series
2
File
13
Material Format
textual record
Date
1856-1929
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file contains the original deeds of land, mortgage papers and statutory declarations for the property bought by the Franklin family in 1916, situated on the southeast corner of Gerrard and Terauley (Bay) streets. The property was comprised of lots nine and ten of concession one, and included the address 175-177 Terauley Street. The property was later sold by the family to the City of Toronto in 1929. This file has two parts.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 47
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
47
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
[187-]-1959
Physical Description
6 folders of textual records
2 window plates : brass
58 photographs : b&w ; 25 x 20 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Scheuer family dates back to at least the eighteenth century in Germany to Moise Scheuer (1765-1846) and Esther Ackerman (1770-1847). Their son, Isaac Scheuer (1809-1889), married Hannchen (Johanna) Strauss (1815-1878) in 1843. Isaac and Johanna had six children: Gabriel (1844-1922), Camilla (1845-1916), Edmund (1847-1943), Emma (1853-1916), Ida (1855-1902), and Benno (Benjamin) (1857-1921).
While Gabriel, Emma, and Ida remained in Europe, Camilla, Edmund, and Benno immigrated to Canada in the late nineteenth century. Camilla came to Hamilton, Ontario after her marriage in 1866 to Herman Levy, co-founder of the Levy Brothers jewellery business. Edmund became a partner in the business when he first immigrated to Canada in 1871, and lived with Camilla and Herman. Camilla became the acknowledged leader of Jewish women in Hamilton. She served in organizations such as the Deborah Ladies' Aid Society, which eventually became an auxiliary of Temple Anshe Sholom, Canada's oldest Reform congregation, often referred to as the Hughson Street Temple. Edmund established the first Sabbath School in Ontario at Anshe Sholom in 1872 and served as president from 1873 to 1886.
After he was established in Hamilton, Edmund returned to Europe in 1873 to marry Oda Strauss (1854-1913) at Forbach, Lorraine, and then brought her back to Canada with him. The couple moved to Toronto in 1886, where he established a wholesale jewellery business on Yonge Street called Scheuer's under his company Edmund Scheuer Limited. Scheuer's was one of the oldest jewellery firms in Toronto and the oldest established wholesale diamond importer in Canada. Edmund's brother, Benno, also worked for the business as the accountant and then secretary-treasurer. Benno was married to Gatella Strauss (1859-1903) and they had three children: Eddie Jr. (1884-1967), Rhoda (1886-1963) and Isadore (1887-1969). Eddie Jr. and Isadore also worked for their uncle's business. Eddie Jr. started as a clerk and then became vice-president, while Isadore started out as a travelling salesman and jeweller. When their uncle retired in 1922, Eddie Jr. took over as president and his brother Isadore became vice-president of Scheuer's.
In addition to his jewellery business, Edmund Scheuer also taught and supervised the religious school at Holy Blossom Synagogue. He went on to serve in every official capacity at Holy Blossom, including vice-chairman and treasurer of the building committee for the Bond Street building. He also founded The Jewish Free School at 206 Beverley Street for Jewish girls and wrote his own textbook for the school, the first Jewish religious school book printed in Toronto. In 1892, he founded the first Jewish benevolent society in Toronto and was later president of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies. In 1927, the Beverley Street building, which housed Federation offices, was dedicated in his honour and named the "Scheuer House".
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the Scheuer family in Germany, Hamilton, and Toronto. The fonds is made up primarily of photographs of Scheuer family members and friends. It also includes some textual records, including correspondence, marriage certificates, a Toronto Jewish Free School text book, and Holy Blossom Temple Bulletins. Also included are two brass "Scheuer's" window plates which were likely from Edmund Scheuer's jewellery business of the same name.
Notes
Associated Material Note: See the CJC National Archives collection for Edmund Scheuer at: http://www.cjc.ca/template.php?action=archives&Type=1&Language=EN&Rec=253
Related Material
See OJA vertical file cabinet for "Scheuer, Edmund" and "Levy, Camilla"
See MG 3 A-1
See MG2 G1c
Arrangement
The textual records have been arranged in chronological order into five files. The objects have been described as one file. The fifty-eight photographs have been described as two files and thirty-nine items arranged chronologically
Accession Number
1989-4-2
2004-7-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 47; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
File
Fonds
47
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
[187-]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a leather bound appointment book with "Levy Brothers & Siheuer, Hamilton" embossed in gold on the front. There are no entries on the pages of the book however, there is a list of expenditures written on the inside back cover.
Accession Number
1989-4-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 47; Item 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
47
Item
5
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1877
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 16 x 11 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of Edmund Scheuer at age thirty taken at a studio in Hamilton, Ontario.
Notes
Albumen print mounted on cabinet card.
Studio: Farmer Brothers Photography, London and Hamilton, Ontario.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-4-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 47; Item 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
47
Item
3
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[187-?]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 16 x 11 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photographic portrait of Isaac Scheuer taken in a studio in Europe.
Notes
Albumen print mounted on cabinet card.
Studio: St. Johann A/D Saar H. Leonhard Bahnhofstr. 139.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Physical Condition
Good.
Accession Number
1989-4-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 47; Item 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
47
Item
4
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1877
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w (1 negative, 1 reprint) ; 16 x 11 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a full-length photographic portrait of Oda Scheuer taken at a studio in Hamilton, Ontario.
Notes
Albumen print mounted on cabinet card.
Farmer Brothers Photography, London and Hamilton, Ontario.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-4-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 47; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
47
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[187-]
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w (1 negative, 1 reprint) ; 16 x 10 cm
Admin History/Bio
Born 14 October 1851 at Bernkastel, Moselle. Nee Strauss. Married: 2 July 1873 at Forbach, Fr. to Edmund Scheuer. Died 16 November 1913, Toronto.
Scope and Content
Item is a photographic portrait of Oda Scheuer probably taken in Hamilton, Ontario in the 1870's. The portrait is a partial facial profile of Oda wearing an elaborate flowered hat.
Notes
Albumen print mounted on card.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-4-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 47; Item 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
47
Item
6
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1879
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 6 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photographic portrait of Gatella Scheuer at twenty, taken in Europe in the late nineteenth century. The portrait is of her head and torso and she is wearing a velvet jacket and her hair is pinned up.
Notes
Albumen print mounted on card.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Physical Condition
The card has been cut into an oval.
Accession Number
1989-4-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 47; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Scheuer family fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
47
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[187-?]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 10 x 6 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photographic portrait of Benno Scheuer as a young boy taken in a studio in Stuttgart.
Notes
Albument print mounted on cartes-de-visite.
Studio: F. Willmann, Stuttgart.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Physical Condition
One corner of the card is chipped.
The print has started to lift off its support.
Accession Number
1989-4-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4990
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4990
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[187-?]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 13 x 18 cm and 10 x 12 cm
Custodial History
This item is a copy photograph of Simon Segaar (Sigaar) with his daughter in Indianapolis, Indiana. The daughter and sister of the sitters is Marianne Walters.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 69
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
69
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[18--]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Admin History/Bio
Rabbi Sheldon Steinberg was co-founder of She'arim Hebrew Day School with Rabbi Joseph Kelman and Rabbi Yitzchak Witty.
Scope and Content
Item consists of a black and white photograph of an amulet from the late 19th century. The origin of the amulet was probably Lithuania.
Name Access
Steinberg, Sheldon, Rabbi
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2015-12-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-12-1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1.2 m of textual records
ca. 250 photographs : b&w and col.
Date
1776, [191-]-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the records related to the life and career of Dr. Fred Wienberg. Included are textual and photographic records documenting his personal and family life, his medial career, scholarly activities, involvement with the Jewish community, his collecting of Judaica, medical antiques and art, and his synagogue involvement. Other items include the Ostrovtzer Mutual Benefit Society minute book and a 1776 letter from Jonas Phillips, a veteran of the American Revolutionary War and an American merchant in New York City and Philadelphia.
Administrative History
Fred Weinberg (1919-2003) was born in Ostrawiec, Poland on July 6, 1919 to Rose and Israel Weinberg. Israel immigrated to Canada in 1920 and his wife and children joined him several years later in March of 1924. The family settled in Toronto where Israel worked in the fur manufacturing business. Israel was a supporter and aficionado of cantorial music as well as a founder of the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto and the Ostrovtzer Synagogue on Cecil Street.
Fred completed his primary and secondary education at Clinton Street Public School and Harbord Collegiate. He also attended the Brunswick Talmud Torah, celebrating his bar mitzvah in 1932. Fred decided to pursue a medical career, graduating from the University of Toronto’s medical school in 1944. During his studies he enlisted in the army and completed officers’ training in April 1945, attaining the rank of Captain. During his military career he served in the RCAMC at Camp Borden, Christie St. Hospital and at the Stanley Barracks in Toronto. Towards the end of the war he served as Officer in charge of repatriation of the POWs.
After the war Fred pursued his post-graduate work at Seaview and Bellevue hospitals in New York City from 1946 to 1947 and then moved on to the Children’s and Washington University hospitals in St. Louis, Missouri the following year. He was subsequently accepted as a resident at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto and was ultimately appointed Chief Resident under the supervision of the internationally renowned paediatrician, Dr. Alan Brown. In 1950, Dr. Weinberg was hired as a physician in paediatrics at Sick Kids Hospital, making him the first Jewish doctor on staff. In addition to his staff responsibilities, he also lectured and was a faculty member at the University of Toronto’s Medical School for many years.
By the mid-point of his career, Dr. Weinberg went on to specialise in Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), delivering lectures and publishing articles in medical journals. He also ran his own practice, which operated from 1950 to 1976, and later become Associate Medical Director of the Child Development Clinic, Neurology Division of Sick Kids until his retirement in 1984. He later continued his service at Sick Kids as a senior staff consultant and ran a specialized practice in Developmental Pediatrics for close to twenty years, which was later situated at 208 Bloor Street West.
Fred married Joy Cherry on December 16, 1952 at Goel Tzedec Synagogue. The couple had four children: Joel (b. 1953), Barry (b. 1955), Sari (b. 1956) and Deena (b. 1961). Throughout his life, Fred was actively engaged in Jewish communal work in a variety of capacities: assisting with the establishment of the United Synagogue Day School during the 1950s; as a fundraiser for the United Jewish Appeal (UJA); and as a participant in two of UJA’s early study missions to Israel in 1960 and 1961. He was also an influential figure within his synagogue, joining the Board of Directors of Beth Tzedec Synagogue during the late 1960s and serving as President from 1972 to 1975.
Fred and his wife Joy also collected Judaica, antiques and artwork. As a physician, Fred developed a passion and expertise in the area of medical antiques. He published articles in both the mainstream and Jewish press on subjects related to Jewish rituals, Judaica and art. He also had a regular column in the Canadian Journal of Diagnosis from 1998 to 2002 entitled “Antique instruments”. Over time, the Weinberg’s assembled a world-class collection of Judaica and became increasingly active in the museum world. Fred assisted in the establishment of Beth Tzedec’s Helene and Rubin Dennis Jewish Museum, contributing items from the couple’s Judaica collection and securing the acquisition of the renowned Cecil Roth collection for the Museum during the early to mid-1960s. As a result of his significant contributions, he was bestowed the title of honourary curator to the Museum. Dr. Weinberg later branched out and assisted with the Koffler Gallery’s Lifecycle exhibition in 1984 as guest curator. The following year, he served as a special presenter and instructor to the docents at the “Precious Legacy” Czech Judaica exhibition at the ROM. The Weinberg’s most significant contribution to the museum world, however, was marked in September of 2000, when they were honoured at the opening of the Dr. Fred and Joy Cherry Weinberg Gallery of Judaica at the ROM, featuring some of their most valuable and treasured pieces.
Dr. Fred Weinberg passed away on October 30, 2003 at 84 years of age. The Weinberg Endowment Fund was established by the family at the University of Toronto’s Jewish Studies Program to honour Fred’s passion for Jewish history, rituals and artefacts. That year the Weinberg family also set up a fund in Fred’s name in support of the Therapeutic Clown Program, a highly visible and successful program within Sick Kids’ Pediatric Division.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Descriptive Notes
Use Conditions Note: Records contain patient names and medical information.
Subjects
Personal and family life
Arts and culture
Health services and medicine
Community service
Name Access
Weinberg, Fred, 1919-2003
Source
Archival Accessions
31 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content