Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
71 records – page 1 of 2.
Level
Item
ID
Item 4272
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4272
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1880 and 1900]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Benjamin, Alfred D
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4273
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4273
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1880 and 1900]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
Photo by A. D. Hart.
Name Access
Benjamin, Frank D
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4010
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4010
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[18--]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Cohen, Abraham
Subjects
Business
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1986-9-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4981
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4981
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1880 and 1900]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Admin History/Bio
Annie was the daughter of Jacob Draimin.
Ike was Treasurer of Goel Tzedec and succeeded his father-in-law as Chairman of the Chevra Kadisha.
Notes
Original photo by Dufresne Toronto Arcade.
Name Access
Brodie, Annie Draimin
Brodie, Isaac (Ike)
Goel Tzedec Synagogue
Draimin, Jacob
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4991
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4991
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1880 and 1900]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
Photograph is a composite of two photographs.
Name Access
Draimin, Jacob
Draimin, Flora
Goel Tzedec Synagogue
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4989
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4989
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1880 and 1900]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
Original photo by Thompson Bros. 177 1/2 Yonge St., Toronto.
Name Access
Draimin, Jacob
Goel Tzedec Synagogue
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1245
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1245
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1890]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of Leo Frankel, likely taken in Toronto.
Name Access
Frankel, Leo, 1864-1933
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1977-4-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1246
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1246
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[188-?]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Item is a studio portrait of Lena Frankel.
Name Access
Frankel, Lena, 1866-1923
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1977-4-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4985
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4985
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1880 and 1900]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Notes
Original photo by Dixon, King and Yonge Sts., Toronto.
Name Access
Hart, Emanuel
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4984
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4984
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1880 and 1900]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Admin History/Bio
Emanuel Hart was Daniel Hart's grandfather. He had a pen factory (?). He travelled across Canada with horse and wagon. He was found dead in a hotel room in Montreal.
Name Access
Hart, Emanuel
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4983
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4983
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1880 and 1900]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
Theresa was the wife of Emanuel Hart and the daughter of Lipman and Marianne Walters.
Name Access
Hart, Theresa
Hart, Emanuel
Walters, Theresa
Walters, Lipman and Marianne
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4296
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4296
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1880 and 1900]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Esther Smith was the mother of Nathan Smith.
Notes
Photo by Gledhill, 294 Queen St. W., Toronto.
Name Access
Smith, Esther
Smith, Nathan
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1987-2-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4811
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4811
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[18--]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Admin History/Bio
Abe Stocker was the great grandfather of the wife of Ray Havelock.
Name Access
Stocker, Abe
Havelock, Ray
Talmud
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1985-10-9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4986
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4986
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1880 and 1900]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Admin History/Bio
Marianne lived in India with her father and sister. Her first husband died of disease shortly after marriage. Shidduch arranged with Walters in Philadelphia (with another Dutch family).
She married Lipman Walters and settled in Toronto and had 5 children of which Theresa was the oldest.
Name Access
Walters, Mrs. Lipman
Walters, Marianne Segaar
Segaar, Marianne
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 4988
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
4988
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1880 and 1900]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Walters, Lipman
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1989-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 2565
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
2565
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[before 1920]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Notes
No identification information.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1981-3-10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1273
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1273
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[before 1918]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w
Scope and Content
Identified in this photograph are: Mr Causen, Mr Frankel, Zalman Cohen, Dave Gold, Mr Mitchell, Lewis Freedman, Gittel Shapiro
Name Access
Farband
Subjects
Picnics
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1977-4-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
1992-2-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1992-2-1
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
38 cm of textual records
15 photographs: b&w
Date
1887-1946
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the following records: photographs, newspaper clippings, greeting cards, invitations, postcards, marriage records, immigration documents, receipts, correspondence and a 1841 edition of The Jewish Chronicle.
The photographs depict members of the Fine family, and in particular Albert Fine's dry goods store; Alpha Sigma - Phi Delta Epsilon fraternity, University of Toronto in 1934; members of the Gardstein family, including a class picture with Pearl and David Gardstein, and several photographs taken at the Gardstein farm.
Also here are several Jewish New Year greeting cards that are three dimensional pop-up cards and some birthday cards. This style of three dimensional card was painted by the Hebrew Publishing Company of New York between 1903 and 1912 and then sent to Germany to be printed.
Accession also Includes marriage certificates for Albert Fine and Jennie Brinn and for Rosie Black and Max Gardstein. There are naturalization papers, death records and early correspondence dating from 1887
Administrative History
The Gardsteins and Fines were related with the marriage of Pearl Gardstein and Irving Fine.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1994-12-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1994-12-5
Material Format
object
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
Artifacts
Photographs
1 folder of textual records
Date
1884-1986
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs, textual records, and artifacts documenting the Sadowski family from Massey, Ontario. Records include family photographs, family correspondence, geneological information, and business records. Of note are photographs of the Sadowski General Store in Massey, a meal token from the store, a notebook documenting animal fur transactions (1920-1922), and a land survey of the Sadowski family property (1893).
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1998-3-35
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1998-3-35
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1885-1886
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a programme for a grand Masquerade and Fancy Dress Roller Skating Carnival at the Princess Roller Skating Rink on December 3, 1885, and and a Dance Card from a Purim Ball at Union Hall on March 22, 1886. There is a copy of a newspaper clipping about the Purim Ball.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1987-10-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1987-10-2
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
7 cm of textual records and graphic material (approximately 57 photographs : b&w)
Date
[ca. 1842-1946]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of correspondence, photographs, birth certificates, marriage certificates, a German passport, a medal, postcards, Jewish Immigrant Aid Society of Canada receipt vouchers, parchment prayer scrolls, City of Toronto bicycle licenses, and other material relating to Chaim and Hena Silbiger and family of 51 Baldwin Street, Toronto. There are also photographs of Toronto scenes such as Harbord Bakery, Dibble Oil Truck (Manny Rotman), Harbord Fish Market, and a Belle Ewart street scene.
Photo Captions (001 - 012): Toronto Street Scenes, [194-]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, Accession # 1987-10-2.
Photo Caption (002): Street view of Alter and Goldie Kosower's Harbord Bakery, (Toronto, ON), [194-]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, Accession 1987-10-2.
Custodial History
Material was donated by Suzanne Harning and was found in a house on Harbord St., west of Spadina Ave.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-004
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1975-004
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1883-1922
Scope and Content
Accession consists of ten deeds of sale for a parcel of land in Toronto at 909 Dundas Street West (119 Arthur Street) and Strachan Sreet (Bellwoods Avenue) from 1883 to 1922. The first transaction was between Joseph Phillips and his wife Elizabeth Jane Phillips and James Crocker. The last documents both of which are dated June 5, 1922 record the sale of the land from W.T.O. Parry and Wexler Woolfe to Samuel Dvoretsky and Samuel Dvoretsky to W.T.O. Parry.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-7-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-7-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
2 m of textual records
1 microfilm reel
Date
1889-2004, predominant 1950-1980
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records documenting the Toronto Zionist Council. Included is a microfilm reel of correspondence between the Zionist Organization of Canada and various European offices (1889-1915), reports of the Federation of Zionist Societies of Canada (1907), correspondence, meeting minutes, Director's reports, daily appointment books, Let the Truth Be Told newsletters, a programe for the 28th regional convention, and a Golden Jubilee dinner program (1957). Also incuded are United Jewish Welfare Fund Board of Directors meeting minutes, and Israel and the Jewish World newsletters (2000-2004).
Also included are four scrapbooks documenting related groups such as the Balfour Club of Young Judaea (1934-1941); Hadassah-Wizo (1941); United Palestine Appeal (1942, 1945) and the Zionist Organization of Canada (1953-1954, 1958).
Custodial History
These records appear to have originated from the Toronto Zionist Council offices on Marlee Ave., but could in fact, be the provenance of the Zionist Organization of Canada, Central Region.
Subjects
Zionism
Name Access
Toronto Zionist Council
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-35
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-35
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
5 cm of textual records
Date
1876-1938
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the Canadian Jewish Congress Special Refugee Committee (1938), the history of pioneers of Toronto's Jewish community, Dorothy Dworkin and the founding of Mount Sinai Hospital, biographies of Toronto rabbis, the Canadian Nationalist Party (1930s), the consecration of the Jewish Synagogue on Richmond Street (Holy Blossom), and a B'Nai Brith research project on the early Jewish community of Toronto.Documents of interest include biographies of Rabbis F.M. Isserman (Holy Blossom 1925-1929), Maurice Eisendrath (Holy Blossom 1929-1943), and Norman Shapiro (Goel Tzedek and Beth Tzedec 1949-1955), an autobiography of the life of Dorothy Dworkin (1907-1911), a reprint of a 1912 artcicle in the Jewish Times on the history of the pioneers of Toronto's Jewish community during the nineteenth century, and an antisemitic proclamation by the Canadian Nationalist Party.
Custodial History
There is no acquisition information for this accession. It was assigned the accession number by the archivist.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1982-9-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
7 microfilm reels
Date
1856-1969
Scope and Content
Accession consists of seven microfilm reals documenting the early years of Holy Blossom Temple in Toronto. Reels are as follows:
Reel 1: Minutes, 1856-1901; Building Committee, 1894-1897.
Reel 2: Minutes, 1894-1900; Collection Books, 1902-1919; By-laws and Minutes, 1939-1956; By-laws for Holy Blossom Cemeteries; Minutes, 1930-1947; Building Committee, 1937; New Synagogue, 1938.
Reel 3: By-laws and Minutes, 1939-1956.
Reel 4: Register of Toronto Hebrew Congregation; Births, 1857-1868; Marriages, 1851-1894; Burials, 1848 -1900; Large Marriage Register 1858 -1878; By-laws 1876-? (Handwritten), 1894, 1904, 1929, 1949,1955 (printed); By-laws Cemeteries ?-1921; Cash Books, 1900; Monthly Cash Books, 1919; Letterpress copy book and instructions for use; Records and letters from 1891; Letterbooks, 1891-1894; Aliyah Book (which is a small hard cover indexed book containing names of members in English and Hebrew, used for calling members to bless and read the Torah) ca. 1890; January 1921- Ecumenical Service; February 1928- first Canadian exchange of pulpits with Rev. E. Crossley Hunter of Carlton Street United Church and Rabbi Abraham Feinberg participating; Toronto Hebrew Ladies Sick and Benevolent Society Minutes instituted in January 1868, original charter 9 July 1877, later became Toronto Hebrew Benevolent Society; Centennial preparation, committee, service, memorials and interview reports with older members of the congregation.
Reel 5: Collection Books, 1884 -1919.
Reel 6: Officers' Minutes, 1952-1964; Board and Annual Meeting Minutes, 1964-1965; Board Minutes, 1966-1967; Board of Trustees Minutes, 1968-1969; Officers, Trustees & Committee Chairmen; Minutes, 1965-1969.
Reel 7: 11 May 1967 onward
MG_RG
MG 3 A1
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Holy Blossom Temple (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-6-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-6-4
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 11 cm
Date
[18--]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one studio photograph of a Jewish family. Written on the verso of the photo is the date May 1944 and the name [Esther Shulman?]
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-8-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2006-8-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 coin : 3 cm in diam.
Date
[188-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a meal token. One side of the token is inscribed "H. Sadowski & Son, general merchants, Massey Ont." The reverse side is inscribed "Good for one meal on Tote Road only".
Administrative History
The Sadowski meal token was given to drivers taking supplies and goods from the Massey store to the lumber camps in the north. The drivers would use it for food en route. The restaurant owners would then return the coins to the Sadowski store for payment.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-3-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-3-5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
15 cm of textual records
18 photographs : b&w
Date
1872-1991
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records related to the activities of the Pullan and Smith families of Toronto and the Moses family of Sudbury. The records consist of several ledger books including the minutes of the Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue in Sudbury, a financial ledger book belonging to the Cooperative Board of Jewish Charities, as well as the Jewish Ladies' Aid Society account book. Also included is the Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue's constitution and by-laws. There are also receipts, programs, stationary and other items documenting Jewish organizations in Toronto, such as the Menorah Society, the Associated Hebrew Schools, Holy Blossom Temple, and the Jewish Old Folks' Home, and two files of vital records related to the Rosen and Dubrofsky families.
In addition, there are several photographs of particular note, such as four photographs of the Jewish orphanage, both during the period at 218 Simcoe Street and later on Annette Street. There are also two early photographs of the U of T Menorah Society executive.
Custodial History
These records were in the custody of Susan Moses, the granddaughter of Elias Pullan and Hascal Moses.
Name Access
Associated Hebrew Charities of Toronto
Ladies' Hebrew Aid Society
Jewish Day Nursery and Children's Home
Smith, Lillian
Smith, Nathan
Pullan, Elias
Pullan, Harry
Moses, Hascal
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-6-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-6-10
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
graphic material
textual record (electronic)
textual record
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w and sepia (2 jpg) ; 14 x 9 cm
1 textual record (7 jpg files)
1 folder of textual records
Date
[ca. 1870]-2008
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records documenting the Posluns family of Toronto. They include two scanned copies of photographs and one original, depicting various members of the Posluns family such as the family patriarch, Yosef ben Abraham and a copy photograph of the Tip Top Tailors building under construction in 1928.
The textual records consist of one electronic copy of a short history of the Posluns family, taken from Samuel Bernstein's biography, as well as a copy of a YMHA bulletin cover page from June 15, 1934, featuring a message from the president, Louis Posluns.
Custodial History
The records were loaned to the OJA on June 17, 2008 to be copied and returned to the donor.
Administrative History
A history of the Poslaniec (Posluns) family can be found online at: http://www.posluns.com/tree/pdfs/poslaniec.pdf
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Name Access
Posluns, Wilfred, 1932-2010
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-11-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-11-7
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
66 photographs : b&w ; 26 x 31 cm or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Date
[188-]-2008
Scope and Content
This accession consists of photographs documenting the Altheimer, Jacobs, Frankel and Drapkin (Draper) families. There is also a small amount of textual records including a confirmation program from 1944 and 1946, Nancy Draper's confirmation speech, a religious school play program from 1941 and other general records related to Holy Blossom Temple.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of the donor until they were donated to the Archives in several stages during November and December 2008. Copies of all the photographs were made at the donor's request.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
Series
Fonds
64
Series
5
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1980
Physical Description
35 cm of textual records
10 photographs
41 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
Series contains reference materials created by and written about the synagogues. Primary records include commemorative booklets, a small number of newsletters, brochures, and programs from special events. There are also newspaper clippings and copied articles providing histories of synagogues. There is a small number of photograph prints and negatives, but many of the files also include photographs from books, magazines or photocopies. The series is arranged in alphabetical order by city, then by synagogue. Not every synagogue the project team researched has a reference file, and there may be reference files for shuls for which no photographs survive.
Subjects
Buildings
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 64
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
64
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1859-1980, predominant 1977-1979
Physical Description
ca. 5178 photographs and other material
Admin History/Bio
The “Shuls Project” was the work of three University of Toronto architecture students, who in 1977 wrote a research paper on the eight Toronto synagogues built before World War II. Concerned at the lack of resources on these synagogues, Sidney Tenenbaum, Lynn Milstone and Sheldon Levitt foresaw the loss of communities’ recorded history as membership dwindled and elders passed on. The students conceived a project that would photograph and document every synagogue in Canada, gathering visual evidence, memorabilia, plaques and stories before they disappeared and history was lost. The students’ goal was to document synagogues’ architecture, art, and historical development through research, interviews and site visits.
The students secured a large portion of the required funding for the project from the Samuel and Saidye Bronfman Family Foundation in Montreal, funding which was matched by the Canadian Jewish Congress. This financial support enabled Levitt, Milstone and Tenenbaum to begin their study, named “Shuls… A Study of Canadian Synagogue Architecture.” They began in the summer of 1977, traveling through the Western provinces. The next summer, they visited eight Maritime cities, Montreal and other Quebec communities. Financial support in the project’s second year was again provided by the Bronfman Family Foundation, along with the Canadian government and donations in kind from businesses, including Benjamin Photo Finishers in Toronto, and Polaroid. The summer of 1979 was spent in Ontario, with an added grant from Wintario. In total, the Shuls project team traveled over 24,000 kilometres, taking thousands of photographs and conducting several hundred interviews. Photographs were taken by Tenenbaum, with Levitt and Milstone assuming primary responsibility for researching synagogues’ history and gathering historic records. Interviews were conducted by all three researchers, in both English and Yiddish.
With no handy index of every shul in Canada, the researchers located small shuls by word of mouth. They spread word of their project and solicited assistance using press releases, letters to known communities, and slideshow presentations as they traveled. They would first examine a building to get an idea of a community’s character and heritage, then conduct interviews with designers, architects, rabbis and other prominent community members.
With the research and photographs created, the team compiled three catalogues of the Western, Eastern/Quebec, and Ontario phases of the project. These catalogues have entries on each synagogue that include historical summaries highlighting the founding, growth, mergers and decline of Jewish communities, their changing needs, changing architectural expressions and trends, and the evolving uses of synagogues over the course of the twentieth century. There are also building descriptions, some with critical comments by the authors, and lists of the photographs and slides produced.
The compilation of materials and preparation of these catalogues took place at the Project’s offices at 26 Ava Road in Toronto, and continued through the summer of 1980 when the Ontario catalogue was completed. In 1985, Tenenbaum, Milstone and Levitt published a book highlighting their work, called Treasures of a People: The Synagogues of Canada.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the records created and collected by the team of students conducting the Shuls study from 1977 to 1980. The majority of the fonds is made up of graphic material, in the form of 35mm colour slides and black-and-white Polaroid prints and (print-size) negatives. There are approximately 5110 photographs in the fonds. Fonds also consists of notes and inventory forms of buildings' architectural features. There are no interview transcripts, but the fonds does include three audio cassettes with recorded interviews and shul tours. Reference materials used in researching the history of the shuls include dedication and anniversary commemorative books and programmes, newsletters, articles and newspaper clippings. In addition the fonds contains 47 blueprints, the majority from Montreal synagogues. The fonds is arranged in the following series: 1. Quebec synagogues; 2. Ontario synagogues; 3. Western Canada synagogues; 4. Eastern Canada synagogues; 5. Reference.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 92 cm of textual records, 42 architectural drawings, 3 audio cassettes, and 1 drawing.
Physical extent note: many of the slides were culled because they were felt to be reproductions. Some of the synagogue images in the research book may therefore not be included in the fonds.
Subjects
Buildings
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Creator
Levitt, Sheldon
Milstone, Lynn
Tenenbaum, Sidney T.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 41
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
41
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains photocopied articles, a newspaper clipping, photocopied photographs, a greeting card with photograph on cover, copies of the 1859 contract commissioning the erection of the synagogue as well as a list of specifications for the masons, and blueprints for the 1967 extension.
Subjects
Buildings
Synagogues
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Collection
ID
Fonds 22
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Collection
Fonds
22
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1856-1995
Physical Description
1.1 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Morris Norman (b. 1946) is a chartered accountant living and working in Toronto. He is an avid collector of Canadiana, specifically Judaica. He purchases lots at auction and donates them to the Ontario Jewish Archives, as well as other institutions.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of the individual items collected at auction by Morris Norman. The records relate to the Toronto Jewish community and Ontario Jewry and include textual documents, photographs, near-prints, publications, artifacts, posters and broadsheets, sound recordings, and ephemera. Most of the items relate to various Jewish organizations, businesses, synagogues and individuals, and to Christian missionary work in Toronto. The material has been described at the file level, or where appropriate, the item level.
There are also four distinct series of records which document Berul Sugarman, who was a concert violinist and orchestral leader; the Franklin family, who owned a large amount of property in Toronto in the late 1800s and early 1900s; radio and television scripts written by Wayne and Shuster, Henry Karpus and Russell Bradley; and a collection of Turofsky photographs.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 49 objects, 25 photographs, 7 audio recordings and 4 prints.
Name Access
Norman, Morris
Norman, Jessie
Creator
Norman, Morris (1946-)
Accession Number
1995-9-3
1995-9-4
1995-9-8
1996-6-3
1996-7-3
1996-9-1
1997-7-1
1998-1-1
1998-3-44
1998-7-2
1999-10-1
2000-7-4
2000-12-3
2001-3-3
2001-4-3
2001-8-5
2001-10-6
2001-11-1
2002-4-1
2002-5-1
2002-7-1
2002-9-1
2002-10-5
2002-10-58
2002-12-3
2003-5-3
2003-10-6
2004-7-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 52
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
52
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[188-?]
Physical Description
1 item
Subjects
Rosh ha-Shanah cards
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 182
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
182
Material Format
object
Date
[ca. 1880]
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 22; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
Series
Fonds
22
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1856-1958
Physical Description
38 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Abraham Franklin (ca. 1844-1905) and his wife Frances (Fanny) Franklin (ca. 1844-1908) came to Canada from Germany in 1865, via the United States. Together they had seven children: Jacob (John), Henry (Harry), Hyman (Herman), Annie (m. Robinson), Simon (Sam), Dora and Katie.
Abraham began as a picture frame dealer on York Street, later becoming a second hand clothing store owner with his wife on Queen Street West. By 1890, Abraham had established a jewellery store named Franklin Brothers, with his sons Jacob and Henry, and by the early 1910s also owned A. Franklin & Sons. The two businesses continued to operate simultaneously as a pawn shop, a jewellery store, and even a bicycle repair shop.
The Franklin family owned many large plots of valuable land in downtown Toronto, which they leased out to individuals and businesses, including Eaton's. Their land was located on the north side of Albert Street from James Street to Bay Street; along Gerrard Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets; and along Walton Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets. Later, the children inherited the property held by their parents, which had extended around the Queen Street West and Portland Avenue area.
In 1916, stemming from family concerns over her upcoming marriage to Elias Robinson, Annie Franklin transferred ownership of her portion of the inherited Franklin estate to her brothers, Henry, Hyman, and Simon for a cost of $25,000 to be held in trust for her.
Scope and Content
This series contains residential and commercial leases between various members of the Franklin family and the building occupiers, as well as deeds of land documenting the purchase or transfer of land. Also included are statutory declarations, mortgage papers and some family legal documents.
The documents have been arranged into files by property and have been described at the file level. There is also a separate file for the family legal documents and for a set of invoices submitted by the Franklin family barristers.
Accession Number
2002-5-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 22; Series 2; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
Fonds
22
Series
2
File
12
Material Format
textual record
Date
1904-1921
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file contains the original deeds of land, mortgage papers and statutory declarations for the property bought by Henry Franklin in 1916, situated on the northwest corner of Gerrard and Terauley (Bay) streets. The property was comprised of lots thirteen and fourteen of concession one, and included the address 190 Terauley Street.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 22; Series 2; File 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
Fonds
22
Series
2
File
13
Material Format
textual record
Date
1856-1929
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file contains the original deeds of land, mortgage papers and statutory declarations for the property bought by the Franklin family in 1916, situated on the southeast corner of Gerrard and Terauley (Bay) streets. The property was comprised of lots nine and ten of concession one, and included the address 175-177 Terauley Street. The property was later sold by the family to the City of Toronto in 1929. This file has two parts.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
File
ID
Fonds 34; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
File
Fonds
34
File
9
Material Format
textual record
Date
1882
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of the program for the 25th anniversary banquet for the A.F. & A.M. Wilson Lodge 86 held at Rossin House on May 12, 1882. Program includes a menu and list of toasts.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2012-8-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-8-1
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
ca. 18 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1884-1985
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the Coppel and Cooper families of Galt (now Cambridge) and Toronto respectively. Coppel family records include family correspondence, photocopies of Moses Kappel's discharge papers from the Austo-Hungarian military (1884), B'nai Israel Synagogue sisterhood meeting minutes, financial records, photographs, Hadassah booklets and programmes, and a photo album documenting the closing of B'nai Israel Synagogue in 1985. Also included are records relating to Elizabeth Cooper's (nee Coppel) involvement in Canadian Young Judaea and work as a camp counselor at a Jewish day camp near Kitchener-Waterloo (Judaean Day Camp / Camp Ruach). These records include correspondence, publications, activity schedules, lists of camp counselors, and a Young Judaean scarf. Coppel family records also include marriage and burial records of Aaron Coppel, audio cassettes of an oral history interview conducted with Cy Coppel in 1976, and military records documenting Max David Simonoff's service in the Canadian Navy during the Second World War. Finally, included is a Farband Shule (Folks school) programme book (1927) and class photo (ca. 1931). Identified in the photograph is Ethel Raicus (first row, third from the right).
Cooper family records include digital photographs of Sam Cooper and the weightlifting club at the YMHA in Toronto (1930s), portraits of Jacob Cooper (Cooperberg), a school photo of Sam and Max Cooper, and a photo of Hilda Cooper.
Finally accession consists of programme books for various events, including a Canadian Jewish Congress song book, an Israel Dance Theatre at the Royal Alexandra, and a Queen Esther Purim play.
Administrative History
Aaron Selig (Archie Aaron) Coppel (Kappel / Koppel / Cappell / Kappele) was born to Moses Kappel and Perl (nee Pistenfeld) in Galicia in 1882. He came to Canada in 1903 and lived with a landsmen family - the Siegel's. Mr. Siegel was a horse dealer who took Aaron under his wing and taught him the horse trade. Aaron married Mr. Siegel's daughter Chaya Geitel (Gertrude) Seigel in 1905. Aaron and Geitel had seven children: Helen, Rose, Newt, Cyrus (Cy; born in 1911), Les, George, and Harry. After marriage, Aaron and Geitel remained in Galt and Aaron continued dealing in livestock. Although he was eager to assimilate into Canadian society (gave his children British names and spoke with no accent), the family kept kosher and Aaron hired itinerant Hebrew teachers for the children.
Cyrus Coppel married Channa (Anna) Simonoff on August 25th, 1946. Anna was born in Russia to Avraham Dov and Chashe Bryna Tzaitzeck. Anna had three siblings: Sarah Merle, Faigle (died en route to Canada), and Mordecai Doved. She immigrated to Ottawa in 1914 with her family. An uncle already living in Ottawa had changed his last name to Simonoff and the family decided to change their name to Simonoff as well. Avraham worked as a tailor in Russia and likely continued in this profession in Canada. The family moved to Toronto sometime after 1919 and was actively involved in the labour zionist movement. Anna was in the milliner's union and two of her aunt's were members of Club One (Pioneer Women): Slaava Raicus and Esther Cohen. Anna and Cyrus had two children together: Bryna (24 Feb. 1949-12 Jan. 2006) and Elizabeth (b. 16 Dec. 1950). Cyrus initially worked as a mechanic, but later worked in the office of an auto shop and traded in auto parts. He also traded in livestock as a hobby. Cyrus was one of the founders of the B'nai Israel Synagogue in Galt. Initially, synagogue services were held in the homes of local residents, such as the Spring family, however, a building was finally purchased in 1946. After the synagogue closed, the torahs and plaques went to the Synagogue in Kitchener. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob Cooperberg (Kupferberg, Cooper) came to Canada around 1910 from Kielce, Poland. His wife and children (Max, Sam, and Aidel or Ida) remained in Poland, waiting for Jacob to earn enough money for them to come to Canada as well. His family was unable to join him until after the First World War had ended, arriving in 1920. Jacob and Sarah had three more children in Canada: Irving, Joey, and Hilda. Jacob worked as a peddler in Toronto and later opened a scrap yard, Cooper Iron and Medal. The family lived on Oxford Street in the Kensington Market area.
Sam Cooper married Kay Gernstein in 1948. They had two children together: Neil and Donna (married name is Speigel). Sam initially worked as a tailor, but later worked as a scrap dealer. Neil married Donna Coppel and also works in the scrap trade. Donna is a librarian.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Descriptive Notes
Includes 1 photo album, 7 photographs (tiff), 3 photographs, 2 audio cassettes, and 1 scarf.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-12-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-12-1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1.2 m of textual records
ca. 250 photographs : b&w and col.
Date
1776, [191-]-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the records related to the life and career of Dr. Fred Wienberg. Included are textual and photographic records documenting his personal and family life, his medial career, scholarly activities, involvement with the Jewish community, his collecting of Judaica, medical antiques and art, and his synagogue involvement. Other items include the Ostrovtzer Mutual Benefit Society minute book and a 1776 letter from Jonas Phillips, a veteran of the American Revolutionary War and an American merchant in New York City and Philadelphia.
Administrative History
Fred Weinberg (1919-2003) was born in Ostrawiec, Poland on July 6, 1919 to Rose and Israel Weinberg. Israel immigrated to Canada in 1920 and his wife and children joined him several years later in March of 1924. The family settled in Toronto where Israel worked in the fur manufacturing business. Israel was a supporter and aficionado of cantorial music as well as a founder of the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto and the Ostrovtzer Synagogue on Cecil Street.
Fred completed his primary and secondary education at Clinton Street Public School and Harbord Collegiate. He also attended the Brunswick Talmud Torah, celebrating his bar mitzvah in 1932. Fred decided to pursue a medical career, graduating from the University of Toronto’s medical school in 1944. During his studies he enlisted in the army and completed officers’ training in April 1945, attaining the rank of Captain. During his military career he served in the RCAMC at Camp Borden, Christie St. Hospital and at the Stanley Barracks in Toronto. Towards the end of the war he served as Officer in charge of repatriation of the POWs.
After the war Fred pursued his post-graduate work at Seaview and Bellevue hospitals in New York City from 1946 to 1947 and then moved on to the Children’s and Washington University hospitals in St. Louis, Missouri the following year. He was subsequently accepted as a resident at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto and was ultimately appointed Chief Resident under the supervision of the internationally renowned paediatrician, Dr. Alan Brown. In 1950, Dr. Weinberg was hired as a physician in paediatrics at Sick Kids Hospital, making him the first Jewish doctor on staff. In addition to his staff responsibilities, he also lectured and was a faculty member at the University of Toronto’s Medical School for many years.
By the mid-point of his career, Dr. Weinberg went on to specialise in Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), delivering lectures and publishing articles in medical journals. He also ran his own practice, which operated from 1950 to 1976, and later become Associate Medical Director of the Child Development Clinic, Neurology Division of Sick Kids until his retirement in 1984. He later continued his service at Sick Kids as a senior staff consultant and ran a specialized practice in Developmental Pediatrics for close to twenty years, which was later situated at 208 Bloor Street West.
Fred married Joy Cherry on December 16, 1952 at Goel Tzedec Synagogue. The couple had four children: Joel (b. 1953), Barry (b. 1955), Sari (b. 1956) and Deena (b. 1961). Throughout his life, Fred was actively engaged in Jewish communal work in a variety of capacities: assisting with the establishment of the United Synagogue Day School during the 1950s; as a fundraiser for the United Jewish Appeal (UJA); and as a participant in two of UJA’s early study missions to Israel in 1960 and 1961. He was also an influential figure within his synagogue, joining the Board of Directors of Beth Tzedec Synagogue during the late 1960s and serving as President from 1972 to 1975.
Fred and his wife Joy also collected Judaica, antiques and artwork. As a physician, Fred developed a passion and expertise in the area of medical antiques. He published articles in both the mainstream and Jewish press on subjects related to Jewish rituals, Judaica and art. He also had a regular column in the Canadian Journal of Diagnosis from 1998 to 2002 entitled “Antique instruments”. Over time, the Weinberg’s assembled a world-class collection of Judaica and became increasingly active in the museum world. Fred assisted in the establishment of Beth Tzedec’s Helene and Rubin Dennis Jewish Museum, contributing items from the couple’s Judaica collection and securing the acquisition of the renowned Cecil Roth collection for the Museum during the early to mid-1960s. As a result of his significant contributions, he was bestowed the title of honourary curator to the Museum. Dr. Weinberg later branched out and assisted with the Koffler Gallery’s Lifecycle exhibition in 1984 as guest curator. The following year, he served as a special presenter and instructor to the docents at the “Precious Legacy” Czech Judaica exhibition at the ROM. The Weinberg’s most significant contribution to the museum world, however, was marked in September of 2000, when they were honoured at the opening of the Dr. Fred and Joy Cherry Weinberg Gallery of Judaica at the ROM, featuring some of their most valuable and treasured pieces.
Dr. Fred Weinberg passed away on October 30, 2003 at 84 years of age. The Weinberg Endowment Fund was established by the family at the University of Toronto’s Jewish Studies Program to honour Fred’s passion for Jewish history, rituals and artefacts. That year the Weinberg family also set up a fund in Fred’s name in support of the Therapeutic Clown Program, a highly visible and successful program within Sick Kids’ Pediatric Division.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Descriptive Notes
Use Conditions Note: Records contain patient names and medical information.
Subjects
Art and popular culture
Fraternal organizations
Jewish families
Jewish physicians
Occupations
Name Access
Weinberg, Fred, 1919-2003
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-10
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1.4 m of textual records and graphic material
Date
1851-2014
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records reflecting the academic, personal and literary life of Dr. Gerald Tulchinsky. The bulk of the material relates to Canada's garment industry, including photocopied reference material from various sources, reports and statistics, research notes, articles and graduate thesis on the topic, reminiscences by those in the industry and original records from specific firms and associations situated in Ontario and Quebec. Also included are manuscripts and accompanying material for Shtetl on the Grand and a book on the Canadian Clothing Industry, lecture notes, family correspondence and photographs, and the last will and testament of Anne Tulchinsky. All of the material from 1851-1935 are photocopies of original records.
Administrative History
Dr. Gerald Tulchinsky was Professor Emeritus at Queen's University, Department of History, and author of several books on the history of Canadian Jewry and labour issues in Canada. His books include: Shtetl on the Grand (2015); Joe Salsberg: A Life of Commitment (2013); Canada's Jews: A People's Journey (2008); Branching Out: The Transformation of the Canadian Jewish Community (1998); Taking Root: The Origins of the Canadian Jewish Community (1992); and The River Barons: Montreal Businessmen and the Growth of Industry and Transportation, 1837-53 (1977). Tulchinsky was born in Brantford, Ontario in 1933 to Harry and Anne Tulchinsky. He resided in Kingston, Ontario until his death on 13 Dec. 2017.
Use Conditions
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing the records.
Descriptive Notes
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE: This accession also includes numerous books, some of wihch don't relate to our mandate and others which are duplicates of our current holdings. The books that we have retained have been integrated into the OJA's library holdings. USE CONDITION NOTE: Access restricted until ten years after the donor's death, at the donor's request. Records will reopen on Dec. 14, 2027.
LANGUAGE NOTE: Some of the material is in French.
Subjects
Business
Labour and unions
Name Access
Tulchinsky, Gerald, 1933-2017
Places
Montreal, Que.
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-7
Material Format
graphic material
graphic material (electronic)
textual record
Physical Description
38 photographs : b&w and col ; 52 x 42 cm or smaller
5 photographs : b&w (jpg)
1 folder of textual records
Date
1880-1967
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of the Bernstein, Seskin and Norris families.
Custodial History
Michael Bernstein inherited the collection that was formerly in the possession of his grandmother Ettie Bernstein. He also acquired the photogaph album belonging to Eva and Srulick Norris, friends of Ettie's.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-10-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-10-3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records (1 vol.)
1 photograph
Date
1889-1890, [between 1914-1918]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a ledger book from Henry Sadowski's General Store in Massey, Ontario. The book features entries that document various purchases during 1889 and 1890. Half of the book is written in Yiddish and the other half is in English. The store appears to have operated on credit, allowing purchasers to buy goods and then pay their balance at all at once.
There is also one photograph of an unknown soldier of the First World War. The photograph was tucked between the pages of the book. There is Yiddish writing on the reverse side.
Administrative History
Henry Sadowski was married to Rose Sadowski. He was the mayor of Massey, Ontario in 1914 and ran the General Store. Henry and Rose also owned a lumber camp in the area.
Descriptive Notes
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE: Entries in English are written phonetically. For example, the word "pad" refers to "paid", and the words "to goods" refers to "two goods."
Subjects
Communities
Business
Name Access
Sadowski, Henry
Places
Massey, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Salamansky family series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 25; Series 6; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Salamansky family series
Level
Item
Fonds
25
Series
6
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[188-?]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 10 x 14 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of the Salamansky family. Standing in the back row are Mary and her cousin, Harry. In the second row are Lou, Pesach (father), Chana (mother), and Fanny. Sitting in between the parents is Sam.
Notes
Photographer: Barrett, 324 Yonge, Toronto
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 25
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
25
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Date
[188-]-1973
Physical Description
188 photographs : b&w, some sepia toned ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
3 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Aaron and Sarah (née Snider) Levine (1832-1915) were from Minsk. Sarah immigrated to Toronto with her children in 1887. In 1892, Abraham (1940-1897) and Rachel Cass (1838-1903) came to Toronto with their younger chilldren, following their elder children who had immigrated before them.
The Levine children consisted of the following individuals: Annie (m. Salamansky) (1861-1931); Moses (Moishe) Joseph (1864-1919); Michael (1869-1918); Abraham; Sam; and Rebecca (m. Samuels) (b. 1875).
The Cass children consisted of: Fayge (m. Sax) (1861-1942); Anna (Hannah) (m. Segel) (1863-1930); Martha (m. Soskin) (1866-1946); Dave Cass (1869-1959); Dora (m. Levy) (b.1870); Sarah (m. Levine) (1876-1978); Annie (m. Smith) (1880-1952); Bill Cass; and Phillip Cass.
Sarah Snider Levine lived with her son, Moses, and daughter-in-law Sarah for thirteen years. The couple first lived on Chestnut Street and then moved to Centre Avenue. They later relocated to Spadina Avenue near Dundas around 1903, and finally, moved to 224 Beverley Street near College.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of family photographs that document the Cass and Levine families of Toronto. The records were donated by Mary Soskin, who was the daugher of Moses and Sarah (née Cass) Levine. The records document the donor's matriarchal and patriarchal families. In turn, the records also include photographs of her own family, as well as families related to her or her parents through marriage, such as: the Salamansky (Salem), Thuna, Bliss, Samuels, Soskin, Cass, Segel, Sax, Weiner, Levy, and Rosenbes families. The photographs date from the late nineteenth century to the middle of the twentieth century. The fonds also contains one file of textual records
The fonds has been arranged into 18 series by family, as well as one series for photographs that cannot be linked to an individual family and another for images that could not be identified. The series consist of the following: Series 1, Moses Levine family; Series 2, Michael Levine family; Series 3, Abraham Levine family; Series 4, Abe Levine family; Series 5, Harry Levine family; Series 6, Salamansky (Salem) family; Series 7, Thuna family; Series 8, Bliss family; Series 9, Samuels family; Series 10, Soskin family; Series 11, Cass family; Series 12, Segel family; Series 13, Sax family; Series 14, Weiner family; Series 15, Levy family; Series 16, Rosenbes family; Series 17, Miscellaneous family members; Series 18, Unidentified photographs.
The items have been arranged chronologically within each series.
Related Material
1982-8-3
AC 1: Soskin, Mary (Levine)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Miscellaneous family members series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 25; Series 17; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Miscellaneous family members series
Level
Item
Fonds
25
Series
17
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[188-?]
Physical Description
1 photograph : sepia toned ; 14 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of a woman identified as Mrs. Keyfetz taken at a studio in Toronto in the late nineteenth century.
Notes
Albumen print mounted on cabinet card.
Photographer: Dixon, King and Yonge Streets, Toronto.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Physical Condition
The image is a bit stained.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Unidentified photographs series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 25; Series 18
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Unidentified photographs series
Level
Series
Fonds
25
Series
18
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[188-?]-[195-?]
Physical Description
42 photographs : b&w ; 20 x 25 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Series consists of unidentified photographs primarily of members, relatives, and/or friends of the Levine and Cass family.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Salamansky family series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 25; Series 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Levine and Cass family fonds
Salamansky family series
Level
Series
Fonds
25
Series
6
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[188-?]-[ca. 1927]
Physical Description
7 photographs : b&w ; 14 x 10 cm and 10 x 7 cm
Admin History/Bio
[Chana?] (Annie) Levine (1861-1931) was the sister of Moses Levine. She married Pesach (Philip) Salamansky (1861-1943) and they immigrated to Toronto from Russia in 1887. In 1903 the Salamanskys lived at 27 Centre Street and operated a grocery store from the same location. They later moved to 204 Chestnut Street and 268 Brunswick Avenue. Their children were Harry (b. 1889), Louis (b. 1890), Fanny (b. 1893), Gertie (b. 1894), Abe (b. 1899), and Sam (b. 1903).
A number of Salamanskys lived in Toronto and some of them shortened their names to Salem in the 1920s and 1930s, perhaps in connection with Salem’s Garage on 479 Spadina St., which would have been an identifiable Salamansky family-owned business. Harry and Hinda may have been relations of Pesach.
Louis Salamansky, son of Pesach and Anna Salamansky, and resident of 204 Chestnut Street, married Anna Kosloff in 1922 and worked as a plumber. Another Louis Salamansky (b. 1883), possibly his cousin, was married to Mary, and had two daughters, Ettie and Sylvia (both born in 1907). Harry Salamansky married Hannah (née Horowitz) in 1911, and also worked as a plumber and hardware merchant.
Scope and Content
Series consists of photographs of members of the Salamansky (Salem) family.
Source
Archival Descriptions
71 records – page 1 of 2.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content