Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
6 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 49; Series 1; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Benjamin Brown fonds
Jewish community building plans and drawings series
Level
File
Fonds
49
Series
1
File
2
Material Format
architectural drawing
Date
1919-1922
Physical Description
136 architectural drawings : pencil, some hand col., watercolour, on linen weave and tracing paper ; 100 x 90 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
The Henry Street Beth Jacob Synagogue was founded by Toronto’s Polish-Jewish Community, as the successor of an older, smaller synagogue on Elm Street. It was the first synagogue in Toronto that was designed by a Jewish architect, Benjamin Brown. Located at 23 and 23 ½ Henry Street, the synagogue was dedicated in 1922, at a cost of $156,000, and could accommodate up to eight hundred worshippers. It was built in Romanesque style and was notable for its stained glass windows and retractable roof that was used on Sukkoth. It also contained a vaulted ceiling capped by a large dome and four smaller ones. The building was eventually sold and converted into a church. It is the current site of the Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church.
Scope and Content
File consists of architectural drawings of Beth Jacob Synagogue. Contained within are basement, floor, stairwell and roof plans, load plans, sections, and elevation drawings. Also included are detailing of windows, the Ark, entrances and other structures and objects.
Notes
Most of the drawings are stored in four rolls, the remainder are encased in five sheets of Melinex. Due to the fragility of these drawings, the medium, extent and sizes of them are based on the descriptions compiled by Steve Speisman. It is recommended that a conservator examine these drawings.
Name Access
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Physical Condition
Some drawings are frayed and torn.
Places
Henry Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 99; Item 99
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
99
Item
99
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1978]
Physical Description
1 slide : col. ; 35 mm
Admin History/Bio
Beth Jacob Synagogue was located on Henry St. The building is now occupied by a Russian Orthodox Church.
Name Access
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Henry Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-6-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 522
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
522
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1920
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 17 x 12 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of David Papernick, age 85, reading outside at 31 Henry St.
Notes
No negative.
Name Access
Papernick, David
Subjects
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Henry Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
Acquired 22 June 1975.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 99; Item 97
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
99
Item
97
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1978]
Physical Description
1 slide : col. ; 35 mm
Admin History/Bio
Beth Jacob Synagogue was located on Henry St. The building is now occupied by a Russian Orthodox Church.
Name Access
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Hamilton, Ont.)
Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Henry Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-6-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 99; Item 98
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
99
Item
98
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1978]
Physical Description
1 slide : col. ; 35 mm
Admin History/Bio
Beth Jacob Synagogue was located on Henry St. The building is now occupied by a Russian Orthodox church.
Name Access
Beth Jacob Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Henry Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-6-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Address
1 Camp Gesher’s Rd
Source
Landmarks

Camp Gesher originated in 1963 from a merger between Camp Revivim (serving campers from Ottawa and Toronto) and Camp Kissufim (serving campers from Montreal). It is part of Habonim Dror, the Labour-Zionist youth movement and is located near Cloyne, Ontario.
Address
1 Camp Gesher’s Rd
Time Period
1963-present
Scope Note
Camp Gesher originated in 1963 from a merger between Camp Revivim (serving campers from Ottawa and Toronto) and Camp Kissufim (serving campers from Montreal). It is part of Habonim Dror, the Labour-Zionist youth movement and is located near Cloyne, Ontario.
History
Camp Gesher’s small size is central to the spirit of the camp where a culture of acceptance, individuality and mutual respect is fostered. The camp philosophy revolves around socialist ideals and its structure is similar to that of a kibbutz. Hebrew is used in day-to-day conversation and there are many opportunities to learn about Jewish and Israeli history and culture. There is a kosher kitchen and Shabbat and Havdalah are celebrated.
Category
Camps and Resorts
Source
Landmarks
6 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content