Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
6 records – page 1 of 1.
Level
Item
ID
Item 3308
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
3308
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1930]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Name Access
Brown, Benjamin, 1888-1974
Subjects
Architecture
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Adelaide Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ethel Mehr fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 68; Item 52
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ethel Mehr fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
68
Item
52
Material Format
graphic material
Date
15 Nov. 1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph depicting a large line-up of people waiting to get into the first Lady Ellis Shop located at the corner of Yonge and Adelaide Streets in Toronto. The photograph was taken on opening day.
Name Access
Lady Ellis Shop
Subjects
Consumers
Storefronts
Women's clothing
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Adelaide Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Yonge Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1988-12-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ethel Mehr fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 68; Item 53
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ethel Mehr fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
68
Item
53
Material Format
graphic material
Date
15 Nov. 1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph of the interior of the first Lady Ellis Shop located on the corner of Yonge and Adelaide Streets in Toronto. The photograph depicts many customers inside the store being shown merchandise by the sales women behind the counter.
Subjects
Consumers
Stores, Retail
Women's clothing
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Adelaide Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Yonge Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1988-12-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ethel Mehr fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 68; Item 54
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ethel Mehr fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
68
Item
54
Material Format
graphic material
Date
15 Nov. 1946
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a photograph of the interior of the first Lady Ellis Shop located on the corner of Yonge and Adelaide Streets in Toronto. The photograph depicts many customers inside the store looking at merchandise.
Subjects
Consumers
Stores, Retail
Women's clothing
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Adelaide Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Yonge Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1988-12-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2008-12-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2008-12-9
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 sign : metal and wood ; 100 x 40 cm
Date
[193-?]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of a Darling Lunch restaurant sign.
Custodial History
The sign was in the possession of the Reuben and Helene Dennis Museum at Beth Tzedec Synagogue before it was transferred to the Archives by the curator, Dorion Liebgott. The sign was used in the Museum's exhibit on the history of the garment industry in Toronto. It was loaned to them by Dr. Martin Belman, who approved of the transfer to the OJA.
Administrative History
The Darling Lunch was located in the rear basement of the Darling Building on the southwest corner of Spadina and Adelaide. It was a frequented by many of the textile workers in the area.
Subjects
Signs and signboards
Places
Adelaide Street West (Toronto, Ont.)
Spadina Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Address
1 Camp Gesher’s Rd
Source
Landmarks

Camp Gesher originated in 1963 from a merger between Camp Revivim (serving campers from Ottawa and Toronto) and Camp Kissufim (serving campers from Montreal). It is part of Habonim Dror, the Labour-Zionist youth movement and is located near Cloyne, Ontario.
Address
1 Camp Gesher’s Rd
Time Period
1963-present
Scope Note
Camp Gesher originated in 1963 from a merger between Camp Revivim (serving campers from Ottawa and Toronto) and Camp Kissufim (serving campers from Montreal). It is part of Habonim Dror, the Labour-Zionist youth movement and is located near Cloyne, Ontario.
History
Camp Gesher’s small size is central to the spirit of the camp where a culture of acceptance, individuality and mutual respect is fostered. The camp philosophy revolves around socialist ideals and its structure is similar to that of a kibbutz. Hebrew is used in day-to-day conversation and there are many opportunities to learn about Jewish and Israeli history and culture. There is a kosher kitchen and Shabbat and Havdalah are celebrated.
Category
Camps and Resorts
Source
Landmarks
6 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content