Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
86 records – page 1 of 2.
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 48
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
48
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1936-2001
Physical Description
21.5 m of textual records
ca. 180 photographs : col. and b&w (ca. 165 col. negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Established in 1949 as the Bureau of Jewish Education, the Board of Jewish Education (BJE) is the central Jewish agency in Toronto whose mandate is to preserve, enrich, and promote Jewish education in the Greater Toronto area. Its primary tasks are to coordinate and provide leadership in teacher training and professional development, curriculum development, school administration, and inter-school activities, and also to allocate funds to affiliated Jewish schools raised through the annual UJA Federation fundraising campaign.
The BJE was established following the recommendations of a 1948 study of Jewish education in Toronto undertaken by Dr. Uriah Z. Engelman of the American Association for Jewish Education, and sponsored by the United Jewish Welfare Fund (UJWF; now, the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto) and the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC), Central Region. In its constitution, the bureau was described as having the dual characteristics of being an autonomous agency of the UJWF and also as acting for the UJWF in the field of Jewish education. The bureau was governed by a board of governors with representatives from affiliated schools, the UJWF, CJC Central Region, and from the community at large. The inaugural meeting of the board took place on 20 March 1950.
The organizational structure of the Bureau of Jewish Education mirrored that of the UJWF, with a board of directors and executive committee, standing comittees, and a professional staff. Samuel Posluns was the first president of the BJE and Dr. Joseph Diamond was its first executive director, serving in this position for 18 years. In the 1950s, the staff consisted of the executive director, an administrative assistant, and a school consultant. Over time, the staff was expanded to meet the increased demand for BJE services as the number of affiliated schools grew. For example, the position of director of school finances was created in 1976 to oversee school budgets, monitor tuition fees and teacher salary profiles, and perform other duties relating to financial management.
The BJE's offices were located with those of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, first on Spadina Avenue and then on Beverley Street, until the 1960s, when the board moved to offices in the Jewish Public Library on Glen Park Avenue. The board remained there until 1983, when the BJE moved into the newly built Lipa Green Building, on Bathurst Street, along with the other departments of the Toronto Jewish Congress, as the UJWF was renamed in 1976.
During the 1950s and early 1960s, the BJE sponsored adult education programs in Toronto through the Institute for Jewish Studies, in collaboration with the Jewish Community Centre (JCC) and CJC. The BJE also provided assistance and advice to the CJC in support of Jewish education in the smaller Jewish communities in Ontario. The BJE's role in adult education diminished significantly after its reorganization in 1968, but this again became a responsibility for the BJE in the late 1990s.
The BJE has gone through several periods of reorganization since it was founded: in 1968, when the bureau became the Board of Jewish Education and its board was reduced in size significantly; in the late 1970s, with the implementation of recommendations of the 1975 UJWF Study Committee on Jewish Education; in the early 1990s, following the development of a strategic plan for the BJE; and in the late 1990s, following the recommendations of the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto Commission on Jewish Education (1996). The 1968 reorganization was the most significant of these, with the BJE Board of Directors reduced from over 80 members to just 20 members approved by the UJWF, and the number of standing committees was reduced to two. Stephen Berger was appointed as first chairman of the Board of Jewish Education in 1968, and in 1969, Rabbi Irwin E. Witty became the second executive director of the BJE. Later reorganizations typically involved alterations to the number and responsibilities of BJE committees.
Although its primary function is to support existing educational institutions, the BJE has also participated in establishing several new instititions in Toronto. In 1953, to meet the need for qualified teachers in affiliated schools, the BJE and CJC Central Region founded a Jewish teachers' seminary (Midrasha L'Morim) in Toronto, which was jointly funded by the BJE and CJC for many years. In 1960, the BJE and UJWF sponsored the establishment of a non-denominational Jewish high school, the Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto (CHAT), with the BJE Executive Director as its director. In 1978, the Orah School for Jewish Children from the Soviet Union was established by the BJE, to meet the special needs of the large numbers of recent immigrants from the Soviet Union.
At its founding, the BJE served a total of 21 day and supplementary schools. When it ceased functioning in 2012, the BJE served more than 70 day and supplementary schools in the Greater Toronto area, with the position of chair held by Baila Lubek and the position of executive director held by Dr. Seymour Epstein. The Board was replaced by the Mercaz and later, the Centre for Jewish Education.
Custodial History
The BJE records in accession 1995-8-2 were in the possession of Harvey Raben, formerly a school consultant with the BJE, for several years prior to his donation in 1995, while Raben worked on his Doctor of Education thesis on the history of the BJE.
Scope and Content
The fonds documents the interactions of the BJE with affiliated schools, the UJWF and its successors -- the Toronto Jewish Congress (TJC), Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto (JFGT) and UJA Federation of Greater Toronto -- and the community in its work of facilitating and financing Jewish education in Toronto. The bulk of the records consist of the files of the executive director, associate director and director of school finances, and minutes of the BJE Board of Directors and its committees. As well as meeting minutes, these records include memoranda, correspondence, committee reports, budget and financial statements, and a small number of photographs of individuals and of BJE events.
The fonds is arranged into eighteen series defined by the BJE's organizational units, projects and programs, institutions established by the BJE or its officers, and by record form. These series are as follows: Board of directors and executive committee, Executive director, Director of school finances, Subject files, School files, Chronological correspondence and memoranda, Newsletters and other publications, Midrasha L'Morim, Bible contests, Canada-Israel Secondary School Program, Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto, Orah School for Russian Jewish Children, Dr. Abraham Shore She'arim Hebrew Day School, Toronto Jewish Media Centre, Meyer W. Gasner Memorial Scholarship Fund, Principals councils, Association of Jewish Day School Administrators, and Parents Council of Hebrew Day Schools
Name Access
Board of Jewish Education
Subjects
Education
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
The records of the Educational and Cultural Committee in the Canadian Jewish Congress Central Region fonds document the CJC's involvement in the establishment of the BJE and the operation and funding of the Midrasha L'Morim. The UJA Federation of Greater Toronto fonds, accessions 2002-10-54, 2004-6-4 and 2004-6-9 contain records on the establishment of the Bureau of Jewish Education, the appointment of UJWF representatives to its board, the reorganization of the bureau as the Board of Jewish Education in 1968, the various studies conducted of the BJE, and the annual review and approval of allotments for Jewish education in Toronto by UJA Federation and its predecessors. Accession 2004-6-4 also contains records on the funding of Jewish education in Toronto by the UJWF in the late 1930s and the 1940s, prior to the establishment of the BJE.
Arrangement
Files at the BJE were typically organized alphabetically by subject with no clear division by function or program. While some files were kept in a central filing system maintained by an administrative assistant and shared by all professional staff, staff members also kept their own series of alphabetical subject files. Since staff responsibilities for programs and support of board committees shifted over time, records relating to these programs and activities became dispersed across several sets of files. The archivist has extracted files relating to programs, committees, and areas of activity from these various sets of subject files and defined series according to these activities, programs and functions. The remaining alphabetical subject files have been integrated into one subject file series. File titles have been edited to bring together records relating to similar topics, events and activities within this series.
The other two common filing methods employed at the BJE were to store correspondence, memoranda and committee minutes chronologically (often in 3-ring binders), and in series of "School files" -- files organized alphabetically by school name, containing correspondence and other records relating to the school. The school files have been brought together into one school file series. The chronological series have been left in their original order.
Creator
Board of Jewish Education (1949-2007)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
17
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1936-1992
Physical Description
47 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
By 1919 the plight of post-war eastern European Jewry and the need for a united community voice for Canadian Jewry led to the creation of the Canadian Jewish Congress. Its founding meeting was held on March 16, 1919 in Montreal. Though it briefly maintained a tiny regional office in Toronto, the CJC remained inactive until 1933, when it fully reconvened by opening offices in Winnipeg, Montreal, and Toronto. Egmont L. Frankel was the first president of the new central division in Toronto. While the national office in Montreal focused on the overarching issues of the social and economic rights of European Jewry, assistance for Jewish immigrants, and combating prejudice in Canada, the Toronto office dealt with local, violent anti-Jewish demonstrations as well as continuing discrimination both in employment and in access to public recreational facilities. The structure was based on regular national biennial plenary conferences, at which policies were delineated and national and regional executives were elected. Between plenary sessions, national and regional councils were in charge. These were augmented by the following standing committees: administrative, officers, fersonnel, financial, publications, and educational and cultural. Special committees were created to deal with issues such as: youth, community loans, kashruth, fundraising, Israel, Russian Jewry, and various emergency issues such as refugees, immigration, and housing.
During the 1930s the central division office moved several times and occupied offices in the following locations: Yonge Street, the Bond Street Synagogue, Scheuer House, the Zionist Building, and its long-term home at 150-152 Beverley Street, where it remained until its July 1983 move to the Lipa Green Building in North York.
The CJC's activities expanded to include taking responsibility for Jewish educational standards, but by 1941 its main efforts shifted to support for Canada’s war effort. Immediately after the end of the war, the focus again shifted to Jewish immigration projects and the maintenance of Jewish identity in small communities. By 1950, the CJC’s use of the title “division” was changed to “region” to accommodate internal operational divisions within each region. Also, by then, the central region was busy expanding its programs for all Ontario Jewish communities, creating a province-wide council of youth groups, and working with the newly-created Bureau of Jewish Education (later Board of Jewish Education, now Mercaz). Standardization of kashruth rules in Ontario was implemented. As well, regular educational conferences and cultural events were held throughout the province, while province-wide fundraising efforts in support of Moess Chittin for relief projects in Israel and for local Congress activities were expanded. Many of its educational and cultural responsibilities necessitated working with other Jewish organizations such as the United Jewish Welfare Fund, Jewish Immigrant Aid Society (JIAS), Hadassah, the Canadian Legion, B’nai Brith, the World Jewish Congress, the American Jewish Congress, and the many landsmenshaften (Jewish mutual benefit societies, each formed by immigrants originating from the same Eastern European community).
During the 1960s, the central region began sending Moess Chittin relief shipments to Cuban Jews unable to acquire kosher foods for Passover. Its lobbying efforts included participation in the Royal Commissions on Hate Propaganda, and its greatest success came with the introduction and implementation of Ontario’s fair employment and fair accommodation practices legislation, an achievement in which Congress played a pivotal role.
From 1971 to 1989 the major focus became international and national lobbying for, and providing support to, Soviet Jewry. Virtually all local and Canadian efforts to assist the Soviet Jewish “refusniks” were organized and coordinated in Toronto by the Ontario region office, which provided staff and funding for the many lobbying activities and public demonstrations that characterized this successful effort.
As of November 1975, the central region’s responsibilities in Toronto were radically altered. To improve cost efficiency in Toronto, CJC educational and social service program activities were merged with similar programs already provided by Toronto’s United Jewish Appeal. The UJA assumed sole responsibility for these amalgamated programs in Toronto and was renamed Toronto Jewish Congress. The central region still retained province-wide responsibilities for Ontario’s smaller Jewish communities, and its office remained in Toronto. Also, following this reorganization, its name was changed to Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region. Although CJC no longer provided direct social and educational programs to Toronto, the TJC’s senior executive was, at the time, still obliged to continue to keep it notified about developments concerning previous Congress responsibilities.
From 1983, the Ontario Region's offices were located in the Lipa Green Building at 4600 Bathurst Street. It continued its work of financially supporting various Israeli institutions and fostering Canada-Israel relations. It also spearheaded the movement to support and protect Jews in Arab lands, especially in Syria. Funding for the CJC came from the Canadian Council for Israel and Jewish Advocacy, which restributed a portion of the funds raised by the local Jewish federations across Canada.
The CJC dissolved in 2011. Today, the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA) acts as the Jewish community's primary lobby group.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the records of the Ontario Region office of the Canadian Jewish Congress. Of primary importance in documenting this organization’s history are its minutes of the Executive and Administrative Committees and the various standing, and short-term committees such as Community Organization, Finance, Fund Raising, Educational and Cultural, Research, Immigration, War Efforts, and Jewish Education. Most of these records are still managed all together within Fonds 17, Series 1. Fonds 17, Series 2 contains the general subject and correspondence files of these committees. Records in both series require further processing.
Records now found in Series 3 document the efforts of the Committee for Soviet Jewry in coordinating the activities of the many Toronto and Ontario organizations involved in assisting Soviet Jewry during the 1971 to 1989 period.
Series 4 consists of administrative and committee records of the United Jewish Refugee and War Relief Agencies in Toronto from 1938 through 1967. These document its work rescuing the survivors of European Jewish communities, settling as many as possible in Ontario, and providing assistance to those attempting to obtain restitution payments.
Series 5 consists of the records of the Community Relations Committee (1938-1976). Responding to depression-era anti-Semitism in Canada, the Canadian Jewish Congress and B’nai Brith together established in 1938 a new joint committee. Since then this Committee has documented racist threats in Canada; initiated advocacy activities to work for improved civil rights; promoted legislation combating hate; worked to ensure equality of access to employment, education and accommodation; and investigated specific incidents of discrimination. The Committee, for example, played a key role in achieving the Anti-Discrimination Act of 1944, and the Fair Employment Practices Act of 1951, key steps leading to Canada’s current Human Rights Code. Although originally named Joint Public Relations Committee in 1938, a series of name changes later occurred; s follows: Joint Community Relations Committee, Central Region (1962-1978), Joint Community Relations Committee, CJC, Ontario Region (ca. 1978-ca. 1991) Community Relations Committee, CJC, Ontario Region (ca. 1991-present) Records in this series were reorganized into 5 sub-series and a further 9 sub-sub-series during the 2009 to 2011 period. For further details please view the database records for Fonds 17, Series 5. Although this series will eventually hold all CRC records up to 1992, only those prior to 1979 are currently fully processed.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 1839 photographs, 89 audio cassettes, 11 videocassettes, 4 drawings, and 6 microfilm reels (16 mm).
Processing note: Processing of this fonds is ongoing. Additional descriptive entries will be added in future.
Name Access
Canadian Jewish Congress. Ontario Region
Subjects
Pressure groups
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the Archivist prior to accessing some of the records
Arrangement
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the Archivist prior to accessing some of the records.
Creator
Canadian Jewish Congress. Ontario Region (1919-2011)
Places
Ontario
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
3
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
4
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
5
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
6
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
7
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
8
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
9
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 10
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
10
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 11
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
11
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
12
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
13
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Subjects
Rosh ha-Shanah sermons
Yom Kippur sermons
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 14
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
14
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Subjects
Rosh ha-Shanah sermons
Yom Kippur sermons
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
15
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
16
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 17
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
17
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 18
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
18
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 19
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
19
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1; File 20
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
File
Fonds
106
Series
1
File
20
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 106; Series 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rabbi Samuel Sachs fonds
Sermons series
Level
Series
Fonds
106
Series
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
[192-?]-[194-?]
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of sermons and related notes written by Rabbi Sachs on a variety of topics.
Subjects
Sermons
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Folks Farein fonds
David Green series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 105; Series 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Folks Farein fonds
David Green series
Level
Series
Fonds
105
Series
7
Material Format
textual record
Date
1940-1975
Physical Description
7 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
Series consists of records relating to David Green's personal interests. Of note is correspondence relating to Green's ongoing charitable work in Israel, the Jewish Home for the Aged and Baycrest Hospital, Mt. Sinai Hospital, JIAS, CJC, UJWF, and the State of Israel Bonds. Also included is a copy of a speech given in honour of Menachem (Manny) Kraicer, Executive Director of JIAS central region and the War Efforts Committee presentation of photographs of Ontario Jews in the armed forces during the Second World War.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Mizrachi series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 1; File 49
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Mizrachi series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
1
File
49
Material Format
textual record
Date
1936-1939
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of a updates and letters from the Mizrachi Organization World Central. Also included is a 1948 publication from the Mizrachi Organization World Central.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Mizrachi series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 1; File 52
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Mizrachi series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
1
File
52
Material Format
textual record
Date
1935-1944
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of programs from the first conference of the Mizrachi Organization of Canada from 1939, publications put out by Mizrachi World Central from 1935-1939, a 1944 publication from the Mizrachi Organization in New York.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Mizrachi series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 1; File 53
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Mizrachi series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
1
File
53
Material Format
textual record
Date
1938-1940
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of notes from the Administrative committee of the Mizrachi Organization World Central and a news bulletin from the Hebrew University
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Mizrachi series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 1; File 54
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Mizrachi series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
1
File
54
Material Format
textual record
Date
1940
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of hand-written notes from an executive meeting, a booklet highlighting the achievement of the United Jewish Welfare Fund, an information package for 1940 for the United Jewish Welfare Fund, a letter from the Toronto Shekel Board, a New Year's card from Jonah Wise, receipts for a New Year's greetings in 1940 in the Toronto Daily Hebrew Journal and Canadian News, some letters from various organizations (including Toronto Jewish Old Folks Home, Jabotinsky Memorial Meeting, Bikur Cholim), letters from Katz's bank manager, a booklet with manuscripts from Rabbi A. J. Kook, July 1940 meeting minutes form the Mizrachi Organization of America, an invitation to the National Mizrachi Conference in November 1940 and letters from Katz in Yiddish to Mizrachi Organization in Israel.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 2; File 53
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
2
File
53
Material Format
textual record
Date
1948
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of a solicitation letter from the Refugee Rabbis Relief Council and a Report of Activities booklet.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 2; File 75
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
2
File
75
Material Format
textual record
Date
1940
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of a correspondence between Katz and Dr. Gafni, Vice-President of the Theological College of New Yishuv in Palestine, 1133 Broadway, New York City.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 2; File 76
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
2
File
76
Material Format
textual record
Date
1937-1947
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of a postcard sent to Katz from Gellman in 1937 stamped Zionist Congress Zurich and a letter from Katz to Gellman, President of the Mizrachi Organization of America.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 2; File 160
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
2
File
160
Material Format
textual record
Date
1943-1954
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of correspondence with Rabbi S. Taub, Grand Rabbi of Motitz. Included is a letter from Rabbi Taub and 2 wedding invitations.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 2; File 193
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
2
File
193
Material Format
textual record
Date
1948
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of a letter from Rabbi S. H. Silverstein, one of the Chief Rabbis in the "Kehilla of Toronto", 150 Robert Street, Toronto.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 2; File 201
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
2
File
201
Material Format
textual record
Date
1938-1940
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of correspondence with from the Theological College of the New Yishuv in Palestine (1133 Broadway, New York City). Also included is a poster of the Rabbis of the Zionist movement.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 2; File 230
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
2
File
230
Material Format
textual record
Date
1945
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of correspondence with Yeshivah Rabbi Amiel concerning fund-raising.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 55; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
Series
Fonds
55
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1922-1971
Physical Description
1.5 m of textual records
Scope and Content
The series consists of alphabetically-organized subject files, which reflect Katz's involvement with various organizations and philanthropic efforts. Included is written correspondence, financial records, membership lists, publications and meeting minutes. Many of the correspondence files are organized by the name of the correspondent, many of whom are Rabbis or community leaders throughout Canada and the United States.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
General correspondence series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 3; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
General correspondence series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
3
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1919
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
The file consists of a postcard written in Hebrew addressed to Mr. S. Goldman.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 2; File 158
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Subject files series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
2
File
158
Material Format
textual record
Date
1940
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of a booklet in Hebrew concerning Zionist youth movements.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 55; Series 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Personal series
Level
Series
Fonds
55
Series
6
Material Format
textual record
object
Date
1923-1963
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
1 plaque
Scope and Content
Series consists of a variety of personal records including: medical reports, certificates and plaques recognizing Katz's service; mementos from conferences and trips; personal receipts from charitable donations to Israel Bonds, Jewish National Fund and B'nai Zion; general correspondence, bill payments for services and taxes for his home, cottage and business; and 60th birthday greetings.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Personal series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 6; File 22
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Personal series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
6
File
22
Material Format
textual record
Date
1946-1948
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of a letter to Katz from J. Dziekan from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and a hand-written note in Hebrew to Katz relating the story of Hanukkah and Hanukkah songs.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Personal series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 6; File 46
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Personal series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
6
File
46
Material Format
textual record
Date
1942
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of a copy of Yarchon Mercaz Hatorah, a rabbinical monthly journal in Hebrew edited by the students of the Rabbinical College "Mercaz Hatorah" in Montreal.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Scrapbooks and newsclippings series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 55; Series 7; File 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Julius P. Katz fonds
Scrapbooks and newsclippings series
Level
File
Fonds
55
Series
7
File
3
Material Format
textual record
Date
1942-1950
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file consists of a scrapbook with newspaper clippings and letters in English and Yiddish of a personal interest to Katz. The newspaper clippings have been taken from various Yiddish newspapers. Included are: articles written by Katz; announcements/articles/letters from various organizations (e.g. Canadian Federation of Polish Jews, Folks Farein, Old Folks Home, Yeshivath Maharal Graubart, Ezrath Torah, Canadian Jewish Congress, Dominion Council, National Fund, Ontario Zionist Region, Yeshivath Chachmei Lublin, Jewish National Fund of Ontario, Zionist Organization of Canada, United Jewish Welfare Fund of Toronto, Jewish Immigration Aid Society of Canada, Beth Jacob Synagogue, Mizrachi, New Mount Sinai Hospital); articles concerning dignitaries (e.g. Dr. C. Shoshkes, Rabbi Samuel Brodt, Dr. Isaac Levine, Prof. A. Levy, Dr. A Granovsky, Eliezer Kaplan); announcement of Memorial Service for Warsaw ghetto martyrs; announcements of meetings (e.g. Canadian Federation of Polish Jews, Kehilla of Toronto,); condolence notices; congratulatory notices; 60th birthday wishes for Katz; Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur greeting announcement from Reliable Tobacco; a list of the Toronto Delegates to the 28th Zionist Convention; letters sent by Polish Jews to Federation of Polish Jews; hand-written story in Hebrew and letter from Katz's grandchild; greetings concerning Katz's trip to Israel. Also included are newspaper articles, a copy of a publication from the Canadian Federation of Polish Jews, a copy of the 1948 Financial Report of the Community Chest of Greater Toronto, a delegates card for the 1946 Regional Conference of the Zionist Organization of Canada and three copies of a programme for a Mass Meeting of the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society of Canada.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hillel Foundation, University of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 65
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Hillel Foundation, University of Toronto fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
65
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
architectural drawing
Date
1945-1988
Physical Description
3.72 m of textual records, graphic material and architectural drawings
Admin History/Bio
The B’nai Brith Hillel Foundation was founded at the University of Illinois in 1923 by Rabbi Benjamin Frankel. The University of Toronto chapter was established in 1946, by which point there were over one thousand Jewish undergraduates at the university. Hillel’s mandate was to foster students’ Jewish identity, creating a religious, cultural, and communal environment and coordinating the activities of many affiliated sub-groups. Hillel was supported by the B’nai Brith Foundation and the United Jewish Welfare Fund (later the Toronto Jewish Congress), with increasing operational funding from the latter as the decades passed.
Hillel’s predecessor at the University of Toronto was the Menorah Society, founded in 1917 and disbanded in 1931 due to waning interest. In 1944 the Jewish Student Fellowship was formed, and on January 23, 1946 it was transformed into the University of Toronto B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation.
Hillel chapters were run with the guidance of a professional appointed by the B’nai Brith Hillel Foundations at American and Canadian Universities. During the period covered by this fonds, U of T Hillel had four directors: Rabbi Aaron Kamerling (director 1946-1970), Rabbi Eliyahu Eliezri (1970-1971), Ben Mayer (1971-1978), and Gerry Fisher (1978-1981). The director answered to a board of advisors, drawn from the university and Jewish communities, that was responsible for maintaining Hillel House, overseeing staffing, and representing the foundation to the public. Early chairmen of this board included Edward E. Gelber, Jack D. Pearlstein, Cyril Houser, Dr. Alexander Lipson, Sidney Midanik, and E. M. Sprackman.
At the day-to-day operations level, Hillel was run by an elected council of thirteen students under the director’s guidance. At U of T, the Hillel student council created and implemented a yearly program, edited the literary magazine and Hillelite bulletin, and over the years maintained the following standing committees: religious; cultural; house; social; publicity; art, music and drama; United Jewish Appeal; debates; membership; and seminar. The council met monthly and was required to call general meetings bi-monthly.
Hillel’s first administrative offices were at 492 Spadina Avenue, with programs held in various locations, including the B’nai Brith Youth Organization space at 750 Spadina Avenue, and local synagogues. From the beginning, Hillel joined forces with the B’nai Brith Youth Organization to raise funds for a permanent home on campus for Hillel. Programs in the early years included Shabbat services and lectures, arts performances, dances, personal counseling, and courses such as Jewish literature and Hebrew. Three times a year Hillel published the Scribe, a literary magazine addressing topics of Jewish heritage, life, and prominent figures. This was replaced in the 1950s by an annual magazine named Reflections. The Hillelite bulletin informed members of activities and events. Hillel continued to build the Judaica collection of its Norman Raitblat Memorial Library. It also sent delegates each year to the Hillel Summer Institute in New York State; the Brandeis Camp Institute, a leadership training program sponsored by the American Zionist Youth Commission; and, beginning in 1948, the Inter-Hillel Conference, which was hosted alternately by Queen’s University, McGill University, and U of T.
In 1950, Hillel acquired a house at 186 St. George Street. Hillel House was formally dedicated at Convocation Hall on January 21, 1951. In December 1977 Hillel House was destroyed by fire, after which its offices were moved to space in the YMHA building at Bloor and Spadina. Programs were hosted for several years at ‘The Lower East Side’ in the Newman Centre at 89 St. George Street. In June 1979 Hillel acquired office space in a house at 604 Spadina Avenue.
In the 1970s Hillel’s numbers across North America were in decline. In 1974 the Jewish student population at U of T was approximately 3000, but only 400 were registered members. This slump was apparently reversed by the end of the decade, however, when student interest grew enough that a general council of forty students was established to supplement the elected student council (steering committee). 1970s programs included conventions and retreats, United Jewish Appeal fundraising campaigns, a Shabbat co-op, a choir, the Coffeehouse lounge, a film series, a music club, a library society, an annual Purim Bash, an art festival, and counseling groups.
Hillel also served as the voice of Jewish students at the university. The U of T chapter participated in the fight against quotas for Jewish students and faculty, advocated for kosher food availability on campus, and was successful in persuading the university to avoid having examinations on Jewish holidays. In addition, Hillel often represented the views of the Jewish community to the general student population. It has been involved in the dissemination of Holocaust awareness material and in counteracting propaganda against Israel.
In 1970, partnering with the Jewish Student Federation of York University, Hillel established the Free Jewish University. Its courses were held on the U of T and York campuses and featured free courses covering a range of intellectual, personal and practical topics. Also in conjunction with York, Hillel published Or monthly newspaper and the Masada quarterly magazine. The latter evolved into a non-partisan newspaper, Migdal, which in turn became Images in the early 1980s. In addition, the Jewish Students’ Enquirer was published monthly, a joint publication of Jewish students at U of T, York University, Ryerson Polytechnical Institute, and Seneca College.
In 1978, with a view to modernize and reinvigorate its image, Hillel changed its name to the Jewish Students’ Union–B’nai Brith Hillel. The decision involved some contention with the Hillel advisory board, and reflected a closer association with the Toronto Jewish Congress. A third unofficial organization name, J.U.S.T. (Jewish University Students of Toronto), was used for the monthly newsletter, J.U.S.T. News. This newsletter was briefly renamed The Rolling Scribe before being discontinued in 1980.
The 1980s saw Hillel coordinating the efforts and activities of a large number of interest groups: Student United Jewish Appeal, Toronto Student Zionists, Student Struggle for Soviet Jewry, Jewish Residence Council, Jewish Studies Course Union, Student Mobilization for Jews in Arab Lands, Moadon Aliyah, Canadian Branch: North American Jewish Students Network, and Israeli Students Organization. Hillel is now represented on three Toronto universities and three college campuses.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists mainly of textual records created, received and maintained by Hillel directors from 1945 through 1988. The records document the directors’ administration and programming activities, Hillel events, and relations with outside organizations. The most concentrated set of records are those of Rabbi Kamerling from the 1940s and 1950s. The fonds is comprised of correspondence, memoranda, reports, newspapers and newsletters, publicity material, calendars of events, financial records, event programmes, and catalogues. There are blueprints of the proposed extension to Hillel House in the 1960s, the mid-1970s renovations, and the new Hillel House on Huron Street considered in 1978. The fonds also includes annual reports for 1953-1955 and 1960-1970, and a number of publications (incomplete sets): the Hillelite and the Hillel Scribe from the 1940s, the J.U.S.T. (Jewish University Students of Toronto) News, its successor The Rolling Scroll, and newspapers Masada, Migdal, Reflections, Or, and the Jewish Students’ Enquirer.
The fonds contains 130 photographs, predominantly black and white, in the form of prints, contact sheets and 35mm negatives. Aside from 32 head shots of speakers and performers from 1950s events, the photographs date from the 1970s. There are images of plays, meetings, special events, and executive members.
Fonds is arranged with each director’s files separate and in approximate alphabetical order by file name. The files are loosely based on subject/function, likely as they were originally created. Rabbi Kamerling’s records are in two groups since they were acquired in two accessions (see note below).
Name Access
B'nai Brith Hillel Foundation at the University of Toronto (Toronto, Ont.)
Related Material
See MG 9 for a more complete run of publications with which Hillel was involved (eg. Midgal, Images).
Arrangement
Processing of the collection maintained each director’s files separate and in their original order. Following the Hillel House fire in 1978, Rabbi Kamerling’s records (1945-1955) were acquired by the Archives. In 1986, additional Kamerling files were acquired (1946-1970). These overlapping sets of records were described and processed separately.
Creator
B'nai Brith Hillel Foundation at the University of Toronto (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1978-3-7
1981-5-2
1988-11-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ben Kayfetz fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 62
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ben Kayfetz fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
62
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1919-2001
Physical Description
93 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Benjamin Gershon Kayfetz was born on December 24, 1916 in Toronto, graduating from the University of Toronto in 1939, with a B.A. in modern languages. Between the years 1941 and 1943, he worked as a high school teacher in Huntsville and Niagara Falls. In 1943, he joined the war effort, working for the Department of National Defense in Postal Censorship and was responsible for reviewing prisoner of war mail. After the war, Kayfetz traveled to British Occupied Germany where he worked as a censor of telecommunications with the Control Commission until 1947.
Upon returning to Toronto, he was hired as the National Director of Community Relations by the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC), and as the Executive (National) Director of the Joint Community Relations Committee (JCRC), a CJC - B'nai B'rith cooperative organization. He also served as the Central Region Executive Director of the CJC between 1973 and 1978. During his tenure, he worked with various churches, unions and minority groups to develop anti-discrimination laws and for the protection of minority and religious rights. Kayfetz was also actively involved in promoting the welfare of Jewish Communities worldwide, and made visits to Cuba in 1962 and 1965, and Russia in 1985, to study and report on the state of these Jewish Communities. After his retirement in 1985, he was awarded the Samuel Bronfman Medal by the Canadian Jewish Congress. In recognition of his efforts to promote Human Rights, he was also awarded the Order of Canada in 1986.
In addition to his professional activities, Kayfetz wrote articles for various Jewish publications under both his own name and the pseudonym, Gershon B. Newman, and gave a weekly radio address on CHIN radio addressing various contemporary Jewish issues. He was also actively involved in the Toronto Jewish Historical Society (serving as its president), Canadian Jewish Historical Society and Yiddish Luncheon Circle. Ben Kayfetz died in 2002.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of materials produced or acquired by Ben Kayfetz in both his personal and professional capacity. It includes biographical materials, minutes, correspondence, recorded CJC and JCRC meetings, memorabilia, transcripts and recorded versions of CHIN radio broadcasts he delivered, as well as various interviews, speeches, articles, book reviews and works he composed. Fonds also consists of minutes, agendas and other records of various Yiddish and historical associations Mr. Kayfetz was involved in.
Notes
Physical Description note: includes 20 photographs, 107 audio cassettes, 1 Beta video cassette and 1 object.
Fonds includes audio tapes 1-5, 7-32, 35-37, 39-42, 44-45, 47-50, 53-56, 58-64, 66-67, 70-85, A1-A5, A7-A9, A12-A14, A16-A20, A23-A28, A30, A32-A38 and A40-A43.
Name Access
Kayfetz, Ben, 1916-2002
Access Restriction
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Related Material
Audio tapes AC 246-AC 275 belonged to Ben Kayfetz and are related to this fonds.
Creator
Kayfetz, Ben, 1916-2002
Accession Number
1975-012, 1976-10-4, 1980-12-13, 1982-2-2, 1983-6-2, 1985-4-2, 1987-2-3, 1996-5-4, 1998-3-22, 2000-11-4, 2004-3-1, 2004-5-20, 2006-2-9, 2006-8-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ben Kayfetz fonds
Collected materials series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 62; Series 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ben Kayfetz fonds
Collected materials series
Level
Series
Fonds
62
Series
3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1919-1970
Physical Description
11 cm of textual records
18 photographs
1 object
Scope and Content
Series consists of various materials collected by Ben Kayfetz. It includes various items from Nazi Germany including a Jewish yellow star and number on a badge, Nazi hymn book and a service book of a Nazi Stormtrooper. Among the other materials are photographs of the Bronfman family, World War II enlistment posters, Peretz School Composition books and Jewish Old Folks Home Committee minutes.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 51
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Philip Givens fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
51
Material Format
multiple media
Date
[192-]-1990
Physical Description
1.35 metres of textual records (20 vols.) and other material
Admin History/Bio
Philip Gerard Givens (1922-1995) was a municipal, provincial and federal politician, a judge, a police commissioner and an active Jewish communal leader. He is largely remembered as the 54th Mayor of Toronto.
Phil Givens was born in Toronto on April 24th, 1922, the only son of Hyman and Mary Gevertz (Gewercz). As a youth, he attended Harbord Collegiate and graduated from the University of Toronto in political science and economics in 1945 and from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1949. In 1947, he married Minnie "Min" Rubin (born February 7th, 1924) and together they had two children, Eleanor and Michael.
Givens graduated as a lawyer from Osgoode Hall; however, shortly thereafter he decided to enter politics, running as a municipal school board trustee in 1950. In 1951 he was elected as alderman for Ward 5, serving in this capacity until 1960, when he was subsequently elected as a city Controller.
Givens was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1962.
Following the sudden death of Mayor David Summerville in 1963, Givens was appointed by City Council as the Mayor of Toronto and was officially elected to the position in 1964, winning a close race against the former mayor, Allan Lamport. As mayor, Givens was automatically a member of the Metropolitan Toronto Executive and Council, the Metropolitan Toronto Police Commission, the Consumer’s Gas Company Executive, the Toronto Hydro Commission and the governing boards of Toronto’s major hospitals.
Givens was publicly seen as an affable and populist mayor but his tenure was not without controversy. His support for the construction of the St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts and his decision to acquire Henry Moore’s bronze sculpture “the Archer” for the new Nathan Phillips Square were both highly controversial during his term in office. In particular, the Moore sculpture sparked intense controversy and public debate amongst council members and citizens alike. Although ultimately purchased with private solicited donations, the controversy surrounding the statue’s purchase was still partly to blame for Givens’ 1966 election defeat to William Dennison.
In 1967 Givens entered national politics for the second time, the first being a failed 1957 bid in Toronto’s Spadina riding, winning a seat as a Liberal in Toronto’s York West riding. In 1971 he stepped down before the end of his term to campaign for a seat in the Provincial Legislature. Again running under the Liberal banner, Givens won his seat in York-Forest Hill and after the elimination of this riding in 1975, was re-elected in the new riding of Armourdale. In 1977 he retired from politics. He also worked briefly as a current affairs commentator for local radio broadcaster CHUM 1050 AM.
In 1977, Givens was appointed as a provincial court judge and chairman of the Metropolitan Toronto Police Commission, serving in both capacities until 1985, when he left the Commission but continued in the judiciary as a civil trial judge until officially retiring from public life in 1988.
An ardent Zionist, Givens was also a prominent leader of several Jewish communal organizations. He was the founder and first president of the Upper Canada Lodge of B’nai Brith and sat on the executives of the Canadian Jewish Congress, the United Jewish Welfare Fund, the Talmud Torah Eitz Chaim, the Zionist Organization of Canada, the Toronto Zionist Council, Jewish National Fund, State of Israel Bonds and the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. He was chairman of the United Israel Appeal-Israel Emergency Fund in 1967 and the United Jewish Appeal-Israel Special Fund in 1968. From 1973 to 1985 he was the national president of the Canadian Zionist Federation and in the 1990s was the national chairman of the Canadian Jewish Congress’ Committee for Yiddish.
Givens was honoured by Jewish community organizations, including the Jewish National Fund’s Negev Award in 1968 and the Canadian Council of Christians and Jews’ Human Relations Award in 1969. As well, in 1972, he received the Award of Honour from the Toronto Regional Council of B’nai Brith.
Givens was also known to be a passionate sailor and was a member of both the Royal Canadian and the Island Yacht Clubs in Toronto. He died on November 30th, 1995 at the age of 73.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of Phil Givens until they were donated to the Archives in September 1990 by his wife.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the personal, professional and communal activities of Phil Givens. The bulk of the material is graphic and most of the photographs relate to his tenure as Mayor of Toronto and to his Jewish communal work. The records also include general correspondence, speeches, campaign material, scrapbooks, cartoons, certificates and awards, biographical writings, audio and visual materials and artifacts. The records have been arranged into nine series representing Givens’ various roles and activities and have been described to the file level and item level when necessary. These series are: 1. Personal life; 2. City of Toronto Alderman; 3. City of Toronto Controller; 4. City of Toronto Mayor; 5. Metropolitan Toronto Police Commissioner; 6. Provincial politics; 7. National politics; 8. Legal career; 9. Jewish communal service.
Notes
Physical Description Note: Includes ca. 915 photographs, 14 drawings, 1 print, 1 presentation piece, 27 objects, 4 DVD’s, 4 videocassettes and 1 audiocassette.
Physical Extent Note: Fonds was reduced from 5.5 m of records to 2.6 m of records. Please see accession record for further details regarding the records that were culled.
General Note: Previously cited as MG6 B
Associated material note: City of Toronto Archives: “Philip Givens fonds” (fonds 1301) and Series 363, Sub-series 2 “Mayor' Office journals” (fonds 200). Library and Archives Canada: “Correspondence and subjects” series (R4942-1-1-E) in the Stuart E. Rosenberg fonds (R4942-0-X-E); Henry S. Rosenberg fonds (R3946-0-9-E); Jewish National Fund of Canada fonds (R4347-0-1-E), “Subject series: Givens, Judge Philip G. – Toronto” (R4347-7-4-E); “Correspondence, memoranda, minutes, reports” series (MG31-H67), Zdzislaw Przygoda fonds (R6257-0-0-E) [Sir Casimir Gzowski monument committee records –chaired by Phil Givens]; B'nai Brith Canada fonds (R6348-0-9-E); Canadian Zionist Federation fonds (R9377-0-6-E).
Name Access
Givens, Phillip, 1922-1995
Givens (nee Rubin), Min
Subjects
Law
Politicians
Related Material
See Fonds 2: Benjamin Dunkelman fonds
See Fonds 18: Gordon Mendly fonds
See Fonds 28: Zionist Organization of Canada fonds
See Fonds 37: Gilbert Studios fonds (Negev dinners series, Zionist Building series, Portraits series).
Creator
Givens, Philip, 1922-1995
Accession Number
1990-9-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 92
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
92
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1914-1993
Physical Description
1.2 m of textual records (2 v.) and other material
Admin History/Bio
Joseph Baruch Salsberg (1902-1998) was a labour leader, political activist, politician, insurance salesman, and journalist. He was also active in various Jewish organizations, including the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC), the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto, and the New Fraternal Jewish Association. He is well-remembered by contemporaries, such as Sam Lipshitz, as a “champion of the people," committed to social justice, the plight of the working class, and the preservation of Jewish culture.
J. B. was born in Lagov, Poland on November 5, 1902 to Abraham and Sarah-Gittel Salsberg. Abraham immigrated to Toronto in 1910 and J. B. followed with his mother and two younger sisters in 1913. They settled at 73 Cecil Street. Abraham and Sarah-Gittel had additional children in Canada: Nathan (b. 1915), Reuven (Bob or Robert, b. 1917), Betty, and Thelma. Abraham worked as a peddler in Toronto.
J. B. briefly attended Landsdowne Public School, but dropped out around 1915, against his parents' wishes, and took a job in a leather goods factory to contribute to his family’s income. J. B.’s parents had hoped he would become a rabbi and, despite his full-time employment, J.B. continued to study Torah with scholars at the synagogue on Centre Avenue.
In 1917, J. B. decided to pursue the ideas of Zionism and socialism and, abandoning his plans to become a rabbi, became involved in establishing the Young Poale Zion organization, a Labour Zionist youth group dedicated to secular aims. Around 1922, J. B. was made secretary general of the Young Poale Zion of America in New York, where he worked for one year. Shortly after returning to Toronto, he became the organizer for the Hat, Cap, and Millinery Workers Union of North America in Chicago. J. B. married Dora Wilensky in 1927.
In 1926, J. B. joined the Communist Party of Canada (CPC). He was an active member of the CPC for 30 years, serving as the head of its Trade Union Department for two decades. In 1929 he was suspended from the party for one year as a dissenter. In 1932, he became the Southern Ontario District union organizer for the Communist Workers' Unity League.
It was as a member of the CPC that J. B. entered electoral politics. After a series of failed bids in municipal and provincial elections between 1935 and 1937, J. B. was elected alderman of Ward 4 in Toronto in 1938. He only held the position for one year. In 1943, J. B. was elected to the Ontario Legislature as the representative for the St. Andrew riding. J. B. sat as member of provincial parliament for the Labor-Progressive Party (the provincial wing of the CPC) for 12 years. For several years, he was the only elected Communist in North America. As MPP, he helped create legislation banning discrimination in public places and introduced a bill that would ensure fair employment practices in the province. He lost his seat to Allan Grossman in 1955 and unsuccessfully ran in the federal election later that year. Remembered by journalist Gordon Sinclair as “one of the best debaters in the house," J. B. was well-respected by members of all political parties. Out of admiration for J. B., Conservative Premier Leslie Frost named Salsberg Township in Northern Ontario in his honour.
Throughout the 1930s and 1940s, J. B. had grown increasingly concerned about reports of Soviet antisemitism and privately urged party leaders to pursue the issue. In 1956, when Soviet First Secretary Nikita Khrushchev exposed the transgressions of Stalin’s regime, J. B. went to Moscow as part of a CPC delegation. After meeting with Khrushchev himself, it became clear to J. B. that antisemitism was indeed a problem in the USSR and that his efforts to probe the situation were being stonewalled.
J. B. publicly expressed his concerns about Soviet antisemitism in a series of articles published in the Vochenblatt from October 25, 1956 to December 13, 1956. He finally left the Communist Party in 1957. However, he remained a member of the United Jewish People’s Order (UJPO), a Communist Jewish fraternal organization.
Entering the business world, J. B. established the Model Insurance Agency Limited in 1957, where he served as president for several years. In 1959 J. B.’s wife, Dora, passed away. Around this time J. B. also resigned from the UJPO, along with other members who felt the organization needed to be more critical of the Soviet Union. They founded an alternative, non-Communist, left-wing Jewish organization, the New Fraternal Jewish Association, where J. B. served as president for several terms and edited its publication, Fraternally Yours.
In his later life, J. B. was active as an executive member of organizations, such as the CJC and the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care. He was the first chairman for the CJC Ontario Region’s Soviet Jewry Committee and the Committee for Yiddish. He also began writing an award-winning weekly column for the Canadian Jewish News. J. B. was awarded the CJC’s Samuel Bronfman Medal for distinguished service, and the Jewish Federation of Greater Toronto’s Ben Sadowski Award of Merit. A strong supporter of Israel, he was involved in the creation of two Israeli medical centres that are named in his honour. He also helped establish the J. B. and Dora Salsberg Fund and the J. B. Salsberg Fund for Yiddish at the Jewish Foundation of Greater Toronto. J. B. passed away in 1998.
Custodial History
The records were donated to the OJA in a series of accessions. Material from accessions 1991-5-4 and 1992-9-4 were donated by J. B. Salsberg. The remaining material was donated by his estate after his death.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting J. B. Salsberg's personal, professional and Jewish communal activities. The bulk of the records are textual and relate to his membership in the CPC (later LPP), election campaigns, and Jewish communal work. Included is correspondence; photographs; reports; political writings; certificates; agendas; pamphlets; brochures; booklets; flyers; campaign literature; campaign notes; posters; newspaper clippings; press releases; articles; transcripts; speeches; telegrams; political platforms, briefs and submissions; statements; constitutions; resolutions; newspapers; meeting minutes; bulletins; periodicals; notebooks; notes; course guides and outlines; medallions; pins; plaques; donation receipts; event invitations and programmes; lists; blank employment applications; a school test; a study; a coin; a drawing; a sketch; an audio cassette; and a delegate card.
Records are arranged into the following five series: 1. Personal ; 2. Labour Zionism and union activities ; 3. Political career ; and, 4. Jewish community involvement. There are also four files and one item attached directly to the fonds.
Notes
Physical Description Note: Includes 53 photographs, 7 medallions, 11 pins, 4 posters, 2 plaques, 1 sketch, 1 drawing, 1 audio cassette, 1 desk name plate, and 1 coin.
Physical Extent Note: Fonds was reduced from approximately 7 metres to 1.5 metres. The culled material consisted primarily of published books, periodicals and pamphlets that had been collected by J. B. Salsberg. For further details about what was culled please view the accession records.
Associated Material Note: Queen's University Archive also has a J. B. Salsberg fonds, 14 hours of interview tapes with J. B. Salsberg and records of the UJPO are held by the Multicultural Historical Society of Ontario (MHSO).
Name Access
Salsberg, J. B. (Joseph B.), ca. 1903-1998
Subjects
Labor leaders
Politicians
Related Material
For additional records in OJA's holdings, see: Ben Kayfetz fonds 62, series 8, file 2 ; accession 2008-11-2 ; accession 2004-1-4 ; and oral histories AC 71 and AC 226.
Creator
Salsberg, Joseph Baruch, 1902-1998
Accession Number
1991-5-4
1992-9-4
1998-2-2
1998-12-5
2004-5-28
2010-4-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Jewish community involvement series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 92; Series 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Joseph Baruch Salsberg fonds
Jewish community involvement series
Level
Series
Fonds
92
Series
4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
1914-1993
Physical Description
11 cm of textual records (1 v.) and other material
Scope and Content
Series consists of records documenting J.B. Salsberg's involvement with various Jewish organizations, including: the I.L. Peretz School, the Canadian Jewish Congress, UJA Federation, the New Fraternal Jewish Association, the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care and the Canadian Zionist Federation. Included are medallions, pins, a coin, a poster, certificates, photographs, meeting minutes, a test, booklets, event programmes, a transcript, bulletins, notes, newspaper clippings, articles, reports, newsletters, a brochure, and a flyer.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 17 photographs, 4 pins, 4 medallions, 1 coin, 1 poster, and 1 certificate.
Related Material
For other records documenting the CJC's Committee for Soviet Jewry see also fonds 17, series 3.
For other NFJA records see MG 2B-1P and MG9 ("Fraternally Yours" publications).
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 95
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
95
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1934-1982
Physical Description
58 cm of textual records
125 photographs
1 print
Admin History/Bio
Dr. Alexander Brown (1909-1984) was a leader in the field of Jewish education in Toronto. He held various positions with Toronto’s Board of Jewish Education (BJE) and the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto, and was actively involved with other Jewish organizations, such as the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC) and the United Jewish Welfare Fund (UJWF).
Brown was born in the Ukraine on 14 February 1909 to Louis and Bessie Brown. The family immigrated to Canada in 1920. Brown attended the Simcoe Street Talmud Torah and studied under Rabbi Jacob Gordon. He continued his education at the Hebrew Theological College of Chicago and returned to Toronto in 1933. Between 1934 and 1936 Brown served as the first executive secretary of the CJC, Central Region. From 1936 to 1937 he was an announcer for the Jewish Radio Hour, where he read the News of the Week. In 1945 he graduated from the University of Toronto with a BA and then again in 1948 with an MA in Oriental languages. Brown was married to Dorothy Mercovitch (1912-2009) of London, Ontario, and together they had two children: Martin and Paul.
Brown entered the field of Jewish education as the principal of Shaarei Shomayim Hebrew School from 1942 to 1948, as a principal of the AHS of Toronto and as dean of the Midrasha L'Morim. From 1957 to 1964 he worked as a consultant with the BJE in Toronto and then became the BJE's associate director until the early 1980s. He also was a member of the UJWF’s Study Committee on Jewish Education, the National Council of Jewish Education, the Toronto Zionist Council, and the Educational and Cultural Committee of the CJC. In 1969, he received an honourary doctorate in Hebrew Letters from the Hebrew Theological College in Skokie, Illinois.
Dr. Brown died on 15 September 1984 at the age of 75.
Custodial History
Records were in the possession of Paul Brown, Dr. Brown's son, until their donation to the OJA.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of textual and graphic material documenting the professional activities of Dr. Alexander Brown. The bulk of the material relates to his involvement with the BJE and the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto. Included are meeting notices, agendas, and minutes, reports, studies, speeches, proposals, constitutions, correspondence, financial records, publications, questionnaires, photographs, booklets, articles, biographies, press releases, newspaper clippings, programmes, invitations, flyers, lists, applications, statistics, and a directory.
Records have been arranged into the following four series: 1. Board of Jewish Education; 2. Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto; 3. United Jewish Welfare Fund Study Committee on Jewish Education; and, 4. Jewish communal activities. Two files are attached directly to the fonds level. Records are described to the file level with a selection of item level descriptions.
Notes
Fonds was reduced from approximately 1.2 metres to 0.74 metres. Records that were culled include duplicate or damaged photographs, duplicate graduation programmes and invitations, duplicate UJWF Study Committee Interim reports that are located elsewhere in OJA's holdings, and other duplicated material. Also removed were American and other non-Canadian booklets.
Photographers and photography studios are identified on the photographs.
Name Access
Brown, Alexander, 1909-1984
Gordon, Jacob, Rabbi
Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto
Board of Jewish Education (Toronto, Ont.)
United Jewish Welfare Fund (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Education
Physical Condition
The photographs are in poor condition. They have begun to curl and have become stiff from being stored in a dry environment. They should be flattened through humidification and encapsulated in mylar to prevent re-curling.
Related Material
See: Oral history interview with Dr. Brown (AC 140), Board of Jewish Education fonds 48, United Jewish Welfare Fund fonds 67, AHS of Toronto MG2 G-1E, accession 1981-11-4, United Synagogue Day School accession 1990-5-2, accession 1991-12-5, and accession 1988-11-3. For photographs of Jewish schools see Gordon Mendly fonds 18, series 3.
Arrangement
Arrangement has been created by the archivist since there was no discernable original order.
Creator
Brown, Alexander, 1909-1984
Accession Number
2009-7-9
2010-12-9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 95; Series 2; File 54
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Dr. Alexander Brown fonds
Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto series
Level
File
Fonds
95
Series
2
File
54
Material Format
textual record
Date
May 1947
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a small book that was produced to celebrate the 22nd anniversary of the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto and the day of the liquidation of its capital debt. The book details the history of the school.
Source
Archival Descriptions
86 records – page 1 of 2.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content