Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
176 records – page 1 of 4.
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
Toronto Section archival material sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 38; Series 7-13; File 8
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
National Council of Jewish Women of Canada fonds
Toronto Section series
Toronto Section archival material sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
38
Series
7-13
File
8
Material Format
textual record
Date
1897-1947
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of a page from the "Gold book" showing pictures of the first amd second president of the Toronto Section; a Diamond Jubilee commemorative book, 1987 to 1957, celebrating 60 years of service; and a history of NCJW.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 104
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
104
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1895-2009
Physical Description
21 cm of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Gottschall Frankel (1832-1918) and his wife Mina Meyer (1841-1921) were born in Biblis (Hessen) and Aschaffenburg, Germany respectively. Gottschall died in Biblis and is buried in Alsbach, Germany. Mina passed away in Toronto and is interred in the old Holy Blossom Cemetery. Leo Frankel (1864-1933) was one of nine children born in Biblis, Germany to Gottschall and Mina. His siblings were Salmon (1874-1906), Benno (d. 1921), Ike (d. 1950), Louis (1879-1952), Maurice (1865-1935), Sigmund (1866-1936), Ida (1870-1952) (m. Levy) and Herman (1871-1939). Three of the siblings are buried in Montreal, and the rest in Toronto. Leo immigrated to Canada in 1881 at the age of 17 and in 1886 established Frankel Brothers (scrap metal and processing) in association with his brothers. The siblings were eventually succeeded by several sons of the original partners. The company subsequently became Frankel Steel Ltd. and Steel Structures Corporation. Leo married Helena (Lena) Mayer of Florsheim, Germany on July 2, 1890 in New York City. They had three sons - Egmont Leo (1891-1964), Carl Milford (1894-1984), and Roy Hecker (1896-1983). The family lived at 504 Jarvis Street in Toronto from 1908, which was the former Gooderham residence. Carl married Dorothy Jacobs (1903-1987) who was born in St. Louis, Missouri. Her parents were Bernard Jacobs of Texas and Henrietta Altheimer of Arkansas. Carl and Dorothy had two daughters - Nancy Jean Frankel (b. 1928) and Carol Nina Frankel (1930-1999). Carl was a prominent member of the Toronto Jewish community, active in Holy Blossom Temple, several masonic lodges, and was a founder of the North Toronto Y.M.-Y.W.H.A. His daughter Nancy attended Jarvis Collegiate Institute and was confirmed at Holy Blossom Temple. She married Darrell (Drapkin) Draper (1922-1992) of Fort William/Port Arthur in 1949. Darrell had studied at the University of Toronto and became a lawyer and judge. The couple's three children are Dr. Paula Jean Draper (b. 1953) a historian, Phillip Jacobs (b. 1954) a real estate lawyer, and Kenneth Lewis (b. 1957). Collectively the siblings have six children and several grandchildren. Nancy Draper has been a long time volunteer at the Ontario Jewish Archives. Nancy's sister Carol married Mandel Sprachman (1925-2002), the son of a renowned architect Abraham Sprachman of the firm Kaplan and Sprachman. Mandel followed his father into the profession, specializing in cinemas and theatres, including the award-winning restoration of the Elgin and Winter Garden theatres (1985-1989). The Frankel family genealogy is wide in scope, extending from Germany and England, to the United States and Canada. One notable ancestor with German lineage is Israel Beer Josephat who changed his name to Paul Julius Reuter and founded the Reuters News Agency.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of records documenting the Frankel and Draper (Drapkin) families and their connected branches, such as the Jacobs (English in origin), Josephat, Meyer, and Altheimer (all German in origin) families. Records include: photographs of the exterior and interior of the Frankel home at 504 Jarvis Street, Toronto; formal individual and group photographs taken in Toronto and other cities of family members at various gatherings and of Nancy Frankel's confirmation class at Holy Blossom; pictures of Darrell Drapkin (later Draper) and his Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity brothers at the University of Toronto; group photographs of members of the Palestine Lodge of Masons of which Carl and his brother Egmont were members; as well as a variety of candid shots in many locations including outside the Frankel family home in Biblis, Germany. Textual records include, essays and programmes concerning Holy Blossom, publications from Camp Wabi-Kon and Jarvis Collegiate yearbooks, and material from the Ulyssean Society at Hart House, the Oakdale Golf and Country Club, and the Carmel Chapter of Hadassah documenting Nancy's involvement with these organizations. Objects include a souvenir matchbook from the wedding of Darrell Draper and Nancy Frankel and a membership coin and badge in a leather case documenting Carl Frankel's involvement with Masonic lodges.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 250 photographs, 3 objects,1 CD, and 1 video cassette.
Name Access
Draper (family)
Draper, Nancy (1928-)
Frankel (family)
Subjects
Families
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Carl and Dorothy Frankel family photographs file
Level
File
ID
Fonds 104; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Carl and Dorothy Frankel family photographs file
Level
File
Fonds
104
File
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1895-[ca. 1970]
Physical Description
29 photographs : b&w and col. ; 20 x 25 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of photographs of Carl Milford Frankel and his wife Dorothy Jacobs Frankel from infancy to late in life in different locations. Included are portraits, candid shots, and group photographs of organizations and sports teams that the coulple were involved in.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Carl and Dorothy Frankel family photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 104; File 2; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Carl and Dorothy Frankel family photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
104
File
2
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1895
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 7 x 10 cm on matte 15 x 11 cm
Scope and Content
Item is a portrait of Carl Frankel at about the age of one year.
Subjects
Infants
Portraits
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Carl and Dorothy Frankel family photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 104; File 2; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Carl and Dorothy Frankel family photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
104
File
2
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1898]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w ; 17 x 12 cm and 12 x 9 cm on matte 17 x 15 cm
Scope and Content
Item is an original and one copy print of Carl Frankel at the age of about four years on a tricycle in the backyard of 107 Gloucester, Toronto. There is an unidentified little girl in the foreground.
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
J. Irving Oelbaum fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 24
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
J. Irving Oelbaum fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
24
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
object
Date
[189-]-1966
Physical Description
15 cm of textual records (2 vol.)
63 photographs (19 negatives)
1 artifact
Admin History/Bio
Julius Irving (J. I.) Oelbaum (1899-1966) was a dedicated community leader, whose tireless work with fraternal, educational and philanthropic organizations included an extensive list of Toronto's prominent Jewish organizations. He was born in New York City on 11 October, 1899 to Moishe and Miriam (nee Jacoby) Oelbaum. He had four brothers, Charles, Sidney, Abraham (Babe) and Cuppel (Jack). In 1906, the family moved to Toronto, where Oelbaum received his education. In 1923, he married Sadie (nee Margulies) and had two daughters, Dorothy Koven and Helen Simpson. Oelbaum was a social worker by profession, but in 1932, he went into business with his brothers and became president of the Acme Paper Products Company Limited.
J. I. Oelbaum devoted a lifetime to Jewish communal service, beginning in 1923, when he was hired as the executive director of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto, a post which he retained for five years. Incredibly, during the same period he was also the executive director of the Toronto Hebrew Free Loan Association and the Toronto Hebrew Free School. Oelbaum held executive lay leadership positions with numerous organizations including: District Grand Lodge No. 1, B'nai Brith, United Jewish Welfare Fund, Jewish Family Welfare Bureau, Yeshiva Torath Chaim, Zionist Organization of Canada, Canadian Jewish Congress Central Region, Joint Public Relations Committee, Jewish Immigrant Aid Society of Canada, Jewish Camp Council of Toronto, United Jewish Refugee and War Relief Agencies, Toronto Jewish Old Folks' Home, Mount Sinai Hospital, Canadian Conference of Christians and Jews, Congregation Goel Tzedec, and the Y.M.H.A.
In 1954, Oelbaum was honoured at a Jewish National Fund Negev dinner, which over 1400 people attended. He also received the Queen's Coronation Medal in 1952 and the Canadian Council of Christian and Jews Human Relations award in 1953. J. Irving Oelbaum died on 2 October 1966 after a lengthy illness.
Custodial History
The records in accession 1985-5-15 were in the possession of Oelbaum's daughters, Helen Simpson and the late Dorothy Koven, before they were donated to the Archives on May 29, 1985. The photograph from accession 2004-5-31 was donated to the Archives by Oelbaum's niece, Annette Cohen.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of records documenting J. I. Oelbaum's family and his work with Toronto Jewish organizations. The records include photographs, correspondence, event booklets and invitations, newsclippings, Oelbaum's certificate of marriage and wedding invitation, a miniature silver shovel from the turning of the sod ceremony at Baycrest Hospital, and two scrapbooks.
The photographs include portraits of Oelbaum as well as his parents, and snapshots of famous individuals attending events in Toronto, such as David Ben Gurion, Eleanor Roosevelt, Richard Nixon and Bob Hope.
Notes
A large amount of the loose newsclippings were removed from the fonds, photocopied and added to the J. I. Oelbaum clipping file.
Name Access
Oelbaum, J. Irving, 1899-1966
Subjects
Businesspeople
Immigrants--Canada
Philanthropists
Creator
Oelbaum, J. Irving, 1899-1966
Accession Number
1985-5-15
2004-5-31
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
Collection
ID
Fonds 34
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
Collection
Fonds
34
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1882-1996
Physical Description
58 cm of textual records
11 photographs : col. and b&w ; 28 x 36 cm or smaller
4 lantern slides : col. (hand painted) ; 5 x 8 cm
Admin History/Bio
Larry Becker (1939-1998) was a collector with a focus on his native Toronto. He grew up in central Toronto, near Dundas and Ossington, where his father ran a cigar store. Around 1948, the family moved north to Vaughan. Larry attended Lakeshore Teachers' College and married fellow teacher, Rose Weber, in 1961. He taught primary school in Welland, Ontario
Larry returned to Toronto in June 1965, and began collecting for profit and posterity. That year, with the active assistance of his wife Rose, opened the first of three businesses that sold collectables. Both his father and grandfather had been small-scale collectors. From 1965 to 1996, the growing Becker family lived at 25 Lesgay Crescent in North York. In December 1996, the Beckers moved to a larger place in the Kettleby countryside, where Larry had planned to retire and work on his collection
Larry Becker died on February 20th, 1998
Scope and Content
The collection consists of items collected by Larry Becker including postcards, bulletins from Ontario Jewish organizations, sermons, periodicals, books, hand painted lantern slides documenting scenes of Jews in early Toronto, and other material relating to Ontario's Jewry
Notes
Information for biographical sketch gathered and cited from "Collecting Toronto: Through the Eyes of Larry Becker" virtual exhibit from the City of Toronto website at: http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/archives/becker_collections/
The lantern slides have been rehoused and moved to the negative cabinet.
Associated material note: The City of Toronto Archives has an extensive collection in the Larry Becker fonds, Fonds 70 (see Accession file for details)
Physical Condition
The textual records are in good condition. The colour photographs are suffering from severe dark fading and have taken on a distinct red cast.
Creator
Becker, Larry (1939-1998)
Accession Number
2002-12-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
13
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1890]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of Abe Myers and Lena Simon of Brantford, Ontario.
Notes
Original photograph by Park & Co., 124-26 Colborne St., Brantford.
Subjects
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
6
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[189-]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of a portrait of Rose Simon, of Brantford, Ontario.
Notes
Original photograph by J. C. Walker, 148 Colborne, Brantford.
Subjects
Children
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
9
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1890]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy wedding photograph and corresponding negative of A. W. Myers and his wife Lena (née Simon) Myers. Their wedding was probably the first Jewish wedding in Brantford.
Subjects
Married people
Portraits
Weddings
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
7
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[189-]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of a portrait of Mrs. Isaac Simon of Brantford, Ontario.
Notes
Original photograph by J. C. Walker, 148 Colborne, Brantford, Ontario.
Subjects
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 78; File 3; Item 5
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Sadie Stren fonds
Photographs file
Level
Item
Fonds
78
File
3
Item
5
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[189-]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 21 x 26 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy print and corresponding negative of a portrait of George Simon of Brantford, Ontario, with his Aboriginal nursemaid. The copy was made from an original tintype.
Subjects
Nannies
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Accession Number
1978-11-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1609
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1609
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[189-?]
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative) ; 18 x 13 cm and 12 x 10 cm
Scope and Content
This item is a copy photograph and corresponding negative of Bessie Perkus (m. Morris Breland), Betty Perkus (mother) and Fage Perkus (m. Kussner) in Russia. The family later moved to Cochrane, Ontario.
Name Access
Breland, Morris
Kussner, Fage
Perkus, Bessie
Perkus, Betty
Perkus family
Perkus, Fage
Subjects
Mothers and daughters
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Russia
Accession Number
1978-12-6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Collection
ID
Fonds 22
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Collection
Fonds
22
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1856-1995
Physical Description
1.1 m of textual records and other material
Admin History/Bio
Morris Norman (b. 1946) is a chartered accountant living and working in Toronto. He is an avid collector of Canadiana, specifically Judaica. He purchases lots at auction and donates them to the Ontario Jewish Archives, as well as other institutions.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of the individual items collected at auction by Morris Norman. The records relate to the Toronto Jewish community and Ontario Jewry and include textual documents, photographs, near-prints, publications, artifacts, posters and broadsheets, sound recordings, and ephemera. Most of the items relate to various Jewish organizations, businesses, synagogues and individuals, and to Christian missionary work in Toronto. The material has been described at the file level, or where appropriate, the item level.
There are also four distinct series of records which document Berul Sugarman, who was a concert violinist and orchestral leader; the Franklin family, who owned a large amount of property in Toronto in the late 1800s and early 1900s; radio and television scripts written by Wayne and Shuster, Henry Karpus and Russell Bradley; and a collection of Turofsky photographs.
Notes
Physical description note: Includes 49 objects, 25 photographs, 7 audio recordings and 4 prints.
Name Access
Norman, Morris
Norman, Jessie
Creator
Norman, Morris (1946-)
Accession Number
1995-9-3
1995-9-4
1995-9-8
1996-6-3
1996-7-3
1996-9-1
1997-7-1
1998-1-1
1998-3-44
1998-7-2
1999-10-1
2000-7-4
2000-12-3
2001-3-3
2001-4-3
2001-8-5
2001-10-6
2001-11-1
2002-4-1
2002-5-1
2002-7-1
2002-9-1
2002-10-5
2002-10-58
2002-12-3
2003-5-3
2003-10-6
2004-7-4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 36
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
36
Material Format
textual record
Date
1898
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 37
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
37
Material Format
textual record
Date
[ca. 1894]
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 52
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
52
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[188-?]
Physical Description
1 item
Subjects
Rosh ha-Shanah cards
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 54
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
54
Material Format
textual record
Date
1898
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 120
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
120
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1890]
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w and sepia (1 negative) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Admin History/Bio
Newman Leopold Steiner was born in Tachau, or Tachov (now part of the Czech Republic) ca. 1829, to Wolfgang Steiner and Francisca Rothschild. He was the eleventh in a family of fourteen children. Educated in Vienna, Steiner played an active role in the failed revolution of 1848. Not long after, he left for New York, trained as a stone sculptor, and then moved to Toronto in 1852. He set up a stonecutting and marble merchant business, first on Parliament Street, then King Street, and then at Yonge Street Wilton Avenue, and finally at Wilton and Victoria Street. He is credited with carving the crest above the main door of University College. Steiner was also involved in municipal politics, elected to City Council a total of five times between 1880 and 1885. He was defeated in 1889, but in 1897 he became an Alderman for Ward Three. In 1901, he was appointed Honourary Commissioner to the Pan American Exposition held in Buffalo in 1901. Steiner is considered to be Toronto's first Jewish Alderman and first Jewish Justice of the Peace. Steiner was also a member of St. John's Lodge in the Masonic Order, and was the founder and first president of the German Benevolent Society. Originally involved with Holy Blossom Temple, after 1882 Steiner, his wife Bertha and and their four children were no longer affiliated with the Jewish faith. Members of his family (excluding Steiner) joined the Unitarian Church in Toronto. Steiner married Bertha Sternberger in 1876, who was the daughter of a cantor in New York. They had six children: Herbert, Athur, Ernest, Walter (who died as an infant), Florence and Estelle. Steiner died in 1903 and was buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
Scope and Content
Item is one albumen photograph taken of N. L. Steiner's Marbleworks at 16 Wilton Avenue in Toronto, as well as a corresponding negative and copy print. There are six men posing in front of the building.
Name Access
N. L. Steiner's Marbleworks
Steiner, Norman Leopold
Subjects
Storefronts
Physical Condition
1 albumen print is in fairly good condition, although it is slightly stained and torn in places.
Places
Wilson Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
2002-5-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 22; Item 133
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
Item
Fonds
22
Item
133
Material Format
textual record
Date
1890
Physical Description
1 item
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 22; Series 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
Series
Fonds
22
Series
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1856-1958
Physical Description
38 cm of textual records
Admin History/Bio
Abraham Franklin (ca. 1844-1905) and his wife Frances (Fanny) Franklin (ca. 1844-1908) came to Canada from Germany in 1865, via the United States. Together they had seven children: Jacob (John), Henry (Harry), Hyman (Herman), Annie (m. Robinson), Simon (Sam), Dora and Katie.
Abraham began as a picture frame dealer on York Street, later becoming a second hand clothing store owner with his wife on Queen Street West. By 1890, Abraham had established a jewellery store named Franklin Brothers, with his sons Jacob and Henry, and by the early 1910s also owned A. Franklin & Sons. The two businesses continued to operate simultaneously as a pawn shop, a jewellery store, and even a bicycle repair shop.
The Franklin family owned many large plots of valuable land in downtown Toronto, which they leased out to individuals and businesses, including Eaton's. Their land was located on the north side of Albert Street from James Street to Bay Street; along Gerrard Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets; and along Walton Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets. Later, the children inherited the property held by their parents, which had extended around the Queen Street West and Portland Avenue area.
In 1916, stemming from family concerns over her upcoming marriage to Elias Robinson, Annie Franklin transferred ownership of her portion of the inherited Franklin estate to her brothers, Henry, Hyman, and Simon for a cost of $25,000 to be held in trust for her.
Scope and Content
This series contains residential and commercial leases between various members of the Franklin family and the building occupiers, as well as deeds of land documenting the purchase or transfer of land. Also included are statutory declarations, mortgage papers and some family legal documents.
The documents have been arranged into files by property and have been described at the file level. There is also a separate file for the family legal documents and for a set of invoices submitted by the Franklin family barristers.
Accession Number
2002-5-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 22; Series 2; File 12
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
Fonds
22
Series
2
File
12
Material Format
textual record
Date
1904-1921
Physical Description
3 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file contains the original deeds of land, mortgage papers and statutory declarations for the property bought by Henry Franklin in 1916, situated on the northwest corner of Gerrard and Terauley (Bay) streets. The property was comprised of lots thirteen and fourteen of concession one, and included the address 190 Terauley Street.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 22; Series 2; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
Fonds
22
Series
2
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1892-1910
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
This file contains a memorandum of release, statutory declarations and a purchase agreement between Thomas Graham and John Franklin for the land situated at 26-36 Albert Street. The land was comprised of lots 131-133 and was located on the northeast corner of Albert and James streets. Franklin purchased the land in 1902. The file also contains a lease of the same land between the Franklin family and the T. Eaton Company.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 22; Series 2; File 13
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Franklin family legal documents series
Level
File
Fonds
22
Series
2
File
13
Material Format
textual record
Date
1856-1929
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
Scope and Content
This file contains the original deeds of land, mortgage papers and statutory declarations for the property bought by the Franklin family in 1916, situated on the southeast corner of Gerrard and Terauley (Bay) streets. The property was comprised of lots nine and ten of concession one, and included the address 175-177 Terauley Street. The property was later sold by the family to the City of Toronto in 1929. This file has two parts.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ladovsky family fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 83; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Ladovsky family fonds
Level
File
Fonds
83
File
9
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1890-1986]
Physical Description
127 photographs : b& w and col. and sepia ( 10 negatives, 4 slides ) ; 26 x 20 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
File consists of family photographs taken in Toronto, Poland and England, photos of various organizations that Ladovskys belonged to as well as photos of the United Bakers restaurant.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 1901a
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
1901a
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[189-?]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (negative)
Scope and Content
This negative is a copy of the entire page featuring Lewis Samuel from A. D. Hart's book on Jews in Canada.
Name Access
Samuel, Lewis
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
2012-1-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-1-8
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w ; 24 x 19 cm on matte 30 x 35 cm or smaller
Date
[189-]-1916
Scope and Content
Accession consists of three photographs documenting the Franklin family of Toronto, an early and prominent family of the Jewish community. The photographs consist of of the wedding dinner of Annie Franklin and Elias Robinson (12 June 1916) as well as two exterior views of A. Franklin, the pawn and bicycle repair shop with Franklin family members standing outside.
Custodial History
These items were discovered in the processing room. Their custodial history is unknown, although it is certain that they arrived at the Archives prior to 2001. They were assigned this accession number by the archivist.
4/18/2012: the original accession form was found for these photographs, donated in 1977, but an accession number had never been assigned at the time.
Administrative History
Abraham Franklin (ca. 1844-1905) and his wife Frances (Fanny) Franklin (ca. 1844-1908) came to Canada from Germany in 1865, via the United States. Together they had seven children: Jacob (John), Henry (Harry), Hyman (Herman), Annie (m. Robinson), Simon (Sam), Dora and Katie.
Abraham began as a picture frame dealer on York Street, later becoming a second hand clothing store owner with his wife on Queen Street West. By 1890, Abraham had established a jewellery store named Franklin Brothers, with his sons Jacob and Henry, and by the early 1910s also owned A. Franklin & Sons. The two businesses continued to operate simultaneously as a pawn shop, a jewellery store, and even a bicycle repair shop.
The Franklin family owned many large plots of valuable land in downtown Toronto, which they leased out to individuals and businesses, including Eaton's. Their land was located on the north side of Albert Street from James Street to Bay Street; along Gerrard Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets; and along Walton Street from Yonge to Elizabeth streets. Later, the children inherited the property held by their parents, which had extended around the Queen Street West and Portland Avenue area.
In 1916, stemming from family concerns over her upcoming marriage to Elias Robinson, Annie Franklin transferred ownership of her portion of the inherited Franklin estate to her brothers, Henry, Hyman, and Simon for a cost of $25,000 to be held in trust for her.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-8-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2012-8-1
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
ca. 18 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1884-1985
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the Coppel and Cooper families of Galt (now Cambridge) and Toronto respectively. Coppel family records include family correspondence, photocopies of Moses Kappel's discharge papers from the Austo-Hungarian military (1884), B'nai Israel Synagogue sisterhood meeting minutes, financial records, photographs, Hadassah booklets and programmes, and a photo album documenting the closing of B'nai Israel Synagogue in 1985. Also included are records relating to Elizabeth Cooper's (nee Coppel) involvement in Canadian Young Judaea and work as a camp counselor at a Jewish day camp near Kitchener-Waterloo (Judaean Day Camp / Camp Ruach). These records include correspondence, publications, activity schedules, lists of camp counselors, and a Young Judaean scarf. Coppel family records also include marriage and burial records of Aaron Coppel, audio cassettes of an oral history interview conducted with Cy Coppel in 1976, and military records documenting Max David Simonoff's service in the Canadian Navy during the Second World War. Finally, included is a Farband Shule (Folks school) programme book (1927) and class photo (ca. 1931). Identified in the photograph is Ethel Raicus (first row, third from the right).
Cooper family records include digital photographs of Sam Cooper and the weightlifting club at the YMHA in Toronto (1930s), portraits of Jacob Cooper (Cooperberg), a school photo of Sam and Max Cooper, and a photo of Hilda Cooper.
Finally accession consists of programme books for various events, including a Canadian Jewish Congress song book, an Israel Dance Theatre at the Royal Alexandra, and a Queen Esther Purim play.
Administrative History
Aaron Selig (Archie Aaron) Coppel (Kappel / Koppel / Cappell / Kappele) was born to Moses Kappel and Perl (nee Pistenfeld) in Galicia in 1882. He came to Canada in 1903 and lived with a landsmen family - the Siegel's. Mr. Siegel was a horse dealer who took Aaron under his wing and taught him the horse trade. Aaron married Mr. Siegel's daughter Chaya Geitel (Gertrude) Seigel in 1905. Aaron and Geitel had seven children: Helen, Rose, Newt, Cyrus (Cy; born in 1911), Les, George, and Harry. After marriage, Aaron and Geitel remained in Galt and Aaron continued dealing in livestock. Although he was eager to assimilate into Canadian society (gave his children British names and spoke with no accent), the family kept kosher and Aaron hired itinerant Hebrew teachers for the children.
Cyrus Coppel married Channa (Anna) Simonoff on August 25th, 1946. Anna was born in Russia to Avraham Dov and Chashe Bryna Tzaitzeck. Anna had three siblings: Sarah Merle, Faigle (died en route to Canada), and Mordecai Doved. She immigrated to Ottawa in 1914 with her family. An uncle already living in Ottawa had changed his last name to Simonoff and the family decided to change their name to Simonoff as well. Avraham worked as a tailor in Russia and likely continued in this profession in Canada. The family moved to Toronto sometime after 1919 and was actively involved in the labour zionist movement. Anna was in the milliner's union and two of her aunt's were members of Club One (Pioneer Women): Slaava Raicus and Esther Cohen. Anna and Cyrus had two children together: Bryna (24 Feb. 1949-12 Jan. 2006) and Elizabeth (b. 16 Dec. 1950). Cyrus initially worked as a mechanic, but later worked in the office of an auto shop and traded in auto parts. He also traded in livestock as a hobby. Cyrus was one of the founders of the B'nai Israel Synagogue in Galt. Initially, synagogue services were held in the homes of local residents, such as the Spring family, however, a building was finally purchased in 1946. After the synagogue closed, the torahs and plaques went to the Synagogue in Kitchener. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob Cooperberg (Kupferberg, Cooper) came to Canada around 1910 from Kielce, Poland. His wife and children (Max, Sam, and Aidel or Ida) remained in Poland, waiting for Jacob to earn enough money for them to come to Canada as well. His family was unable to join him until after the First World War had ended, arriving in 1920. Jacob and Sarah had three more children in Canada: Irving, Joey, and Hilda. Jacob worked as a peddler in Toronto and later opened a scrap yard, Cooper Iron and Medal. The family lived on Oxford Street in the Kensington Market area.
Sam Cooper married Kay Gernstein in 1948. They had two children together: Neil and Donna (married name is Speigel). Sam initially worked as a tailor, but later worked as a scrap dealer. Neil married Donna Coppel and also works in the scrap trade. Donna is a librarian.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Descriptive Notes
Includes 1 photo album, 7 photographs (tiff), 3 photographs, 2 audio cassettes, and 1 scarf.
Subjects
Families
Places
Galt (Cambridge, Ont.)
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-12-17
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2013-12-17
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 photograph : b&w
1 photograph : col.
Date
1898-2005
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a wedding invitation for Ida Frankel and Jacob Levy from 1898, a March 1997 bulletin from Holy Blossom Temple, seven brochures from Holy Blossom Temple focusing on different aspects of the congregation's history including: "In the beginning", "The Samuels", "Edmund Scheuer", "Our first synagogue buildings", "Abraham Nordheimer", "150 years of education" and "Our place of worship". Accession also consists of a group photograph of a fishing trip to the French River in the 1920s featuring Carl and Dorothy Frankel and Zelma and Ira Lorrie, a photograph of Theodora Carol-Lu Draper as well as her Bat Mitzvah booklet, and a 2005 article by Thelma McCormack entitled, "Multiculturalism: Canada's brave new world."
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-1-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-1-4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder textual records
1 photograph: b&w ; 35 x 25 cm
Date
1899-[ca. 1903]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of Dr. Samuel Lavine's certification from the State Board of Medical Colleges of New Jersey and and the Board of Medical Registration and Examination, State of Ohio. Also included is one photograph believed to be of Samuel and Ida Lavine.
Custodial History
Donor found items among her mother's papers, donor was Samuel Lavine's great-granddaughter.
Administrative History
Dr. Samuel Lavine (1874-1959) was the first Jewish doctor to practice in Toronto. He graduated from Trinity University Medical School in 1899. Understanding that Jewish practitioners had little future in Toronto, he moved to the United States and received his medical certification in New Jersey and Ohio. However, he returned to Toronto one year later and opened an office at John and Adelaide Streets. He was known for making house calls on his bicycle. Dr. Lavine was also part of the Pride of Israel Sick Benefit Society, and became the first Jewish Lodge doctor in 1907. In 1909, he helped found, and later remained active in, the Free Jewish Dispensary. As of 1911 he lived at 159 Beverly Street. After 1922 he lived and practiced at 30 Dunvegan Road. The building was designed by Benjamin Brown. By 1931, Lavine's practice was located at 2 Wells Hill. Around 1903 he married Ida (nee Levy? Levi?) (1880-1958), and they had two daughters, Ruth (Levinson) and Helen (Sterling), and a son Bernard. Helen's husband, Theodore "Ted" Sterling, is said to be the first Jewish stockbroker.
Subjects
Physicians
Name Access
Lavine, Samuel, 1874-1959
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-3-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-3-6
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
5 cm textual records and other material
Date
[ca.1890]-[ca. 1940]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of personal records of Hyman (Ben) Benjamin, and records documenting Arthur Benjamin's miltiary service. Records include ca. 30 photographs of three generations of the Benjamin family, Rosh Hashanah greeting cards, Hyman Benjamin's birth certificate and first aid certificate. Records also include corespondence between several branches of the Canadian government and Arthur's mother, Annie, regarding the circumstances of Arthur's death; his grave site and his army pension.
Custodial History
The records were donated to the Archives by Nancy Rose, daughter of the great-nephew of Hyman (Ben) Benjamin.
Administrative History
Hyman "Ben" Benjamin (ca. 1884-1969) was born in Leeds, England to Lazuras and Annie Benjamin. He married Hilda (Holds) Benjamin, and they immigrated to Canada in 1911. He worked as a car mechanic. They had two daugthers, Laura (b.1911) and Florence (b.1912).
Arthur "Abraham" Benjamin (ca.1882-1917) was Hyman Benjamin's brother. He immigrated to Toronto from Leeds some time after 1911 and worked with Hyman as a car cleaner. He joined the 198th Battalion of the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force in 1916, and was killed in the First World War.
Subjects
Canada--Armed Forces
World War, 1914-1918
Name Access
Benjamin, Arthur, 1882-1917
Benjamin, Hyman, 1884-1969
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-9-32
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-9-32
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
5 photographs : b&w
Date
1894-[191-]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of five photographs documenting the Danson family. One family photograph is of the children of Bertha and Barnett Danson: Rose (Mann), Joseph, Leo and Florence (Simmons). The second family phorograph is ca. 1904 and includes parents and children, as above. There is a photo ca. 1915 of Leo and his daughter Arna. Finally, there are two additional photos of members of the Danson family without any name identifiers or dates, although likely taken in the 1910s.
Custodial History
It is likely that these records were provided by W. Bertram Danson.
Subjects
Families
Name Access
Danson, Bertarm
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-10-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-10-6
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 photographs (tiff) : b&w
Date
1897-1960, 1993
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual and graphic material documenting the activities of Eli Bloch. Included are photocopies of correspondence, newsclippings, Eli's Canadian certificate of naturalization, travel documents, South African licenses, and a genealogical family tree for the Bloch family. Also included are two photographs of Eli in his later years.
Custodial History
The original records are in the possession of Gerry Bloch, the grandson of Eli Bloch. Gerry is the son of Eli's son Norman.
Administrative History
Eli (Elias) Bloch was born in 1872 to Nokhum Tevel Rabinovitch in Kishinev Moldava. He had four siblings: Golda, Joseph, Samuel and Bertha. In the 1890s Eli and his siblings (with the exception of Golda) immigrated to South Africa. Bertha married Theodore Dissler (an importer/exporter). During the Boer War, Eli and his brother Joseph fought with the Dutch. After the war, Dissler employed Eli in his business. In 1907, Dissler sent Eli to sell ostrich feathers in various cities around the world, including: London (England), Montreal and Toronto. While in Toronto, Eli attended the First Roumanian Hebrew Congregation Adath Israel where he met his future wife Leah Madnok and chose to remain in Ontario, without completing his task of selling ostrich feathers in the remaining cities on his itinerary. He married Leah in 1909. From about 1911 until 1922, Eli and Leah lived in Gravenhurst and ran a general store on the main street. They had four children together: Harry (1912-1945), Rose (1914-1994), Rachel (Rae) (1916-2000), and Norman (1916-1989). Rachel and Norman were twins.
In 1922, Elias and Leah moved to Mactier and opened a general store. By 1926, Leah and the children were living in London, ON and Elias continued to operate the general store. He saw the family regularly. Around 1935, Elias left Mactier. He remained in London until he moved to Toronto in 1942. Elias passed away in Toronto in 1960.
Descriptive Notes
Language note: English, Yiddish, and Russian
Subjects
Immigrants--Canada
Families
South Africa--Emigration and immigration
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-12-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2015-12-1
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1.2 m of textual records
ca. 250 photographs : b&w and col.
Date
1776, [191-]-2012
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the records related to the life and career of Dr. Fred Wienberg. Included are textual and photographic records documenting his personal and family life, his medial career, scholarly activities, involvement with the Jewish community, his collecting of Judaica, medical antiques and art, and his synagogue involvement. Other items include the Ostrovtzer Mutual Benefit Society minute book and a 1776 letter from Jonas Phillips, a veteran of the American Revolutionary War and an American merchant in New York City and Philadelphia.
Administrative History
Fred Weinberg (1919-2003) was born in Ostrawiec, Poland on July 6, 1919 to Rose and Israel Weinberg. Israel immigrated to Canada in 1920 and his wife and children joined him several years later in March of 1924. The family settled in Toronto where Israel worked in the fur manufacturing business. Israel was a supporter and aficionado of cantorial music as well as a founder of the Associated Hebrew Schools of Toronto and the Ostrovtzer Synagogue on Cecil Street.
Fred completed his primary and secondary education at Clinton Street Public School and Harbord Collegiate. He also attended the Brunswick Talmud Torah, celebrating his bar mitzvah in 1932. Fred decided to pursue a medical career, graduating from the University of Toronto’s medical school in 1944. During his studies he enlisted in the army and completed officers’ training in April 1945, attaining the rank of Captain. During his military career he served in the RCAMC at Camp Borden, Christie St. Hospital and at the Stanley Barracks in Toronto. Towards the end of the war he served as Officer in charge of repatriation of the POWs.
After the war Fred pursued his post-graduate work at Seaview and Bellevue hospitals in New York City from 1946 to 1947 and then moved on to the Children’s and Washington University hospitals in St. Louis, Missouri the following year. He was subsequently accepted as a resident at Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto and was ultimately appointed Chief Resident under the supervision of the internationally renowned paediatrician, Dr. Alan Brown. In 1950, Dr. Weinberg was hired as a physician in paediatrics at Sick Kids Hospital, making him the first Jewish doctor on staff. In addition to his staff responsibilities, he also lectured and was a faculty member at the University of Toronto’s Medical School for many years.
By the mid-point of his career, Dr. Weinberg went on to specialise in Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), delivering lectures and publishing articles in medical journals. He also ran his own practice, which operated from 1950 to 1976, and later become Associate Medical Director of the Child Development Clinic, Neurology Division of Sick Kids until his retirement in 1984. He later continued his service at Sick Kids as a senior staff consultant and ran a specialized practice in Developmental Pediatrics for close to twenty years, which was later situated at 208 Bloor Street West.
Fred married Joy Cherry on December 16, 1952 at Goel Tzedec Synagogue. The couple had four children: Joel (b. 1953), Barry (b. 1955), Sari (b. 1956) and Deena (b. 1961). Throughout his life, Fred was actively engaged in Jewish communal work in a variety of capacities: assisting with the establishment of the United Synagogue Day School during the 1950s; as a fundraiser for the United Jewish Appeal (UJA); and as a participant in two of UJA’s early study missions to Israel in 1960 and 1961. He was also an influential figure within his synagogue, joining the Board of Directors of Beth Tzedec Synagogue during the late 1960s and serving as President from 1972 to 1975.
Fred and his wife Joy also collected Judaica, antiques and artwork. As a physician, Fred developed a passion and expertise in the area of medical antiques. He published articles in both the mainstream and Jewish press on subjects related to Jewish rituals, Judaica and art. He also had a regular column in the Canadian Journal of Diagnosis from 1998 to 2002 entitled “Antique instruments”. Over time, the Weinberg’s assembled a world-class collection of Judaica and became increasingly active in the museum world. Fred assisted in the establishment of Beth Tzedec’s Helene and Rubin Dennis Jewish Museum, contributing items from the couple’s Judaica collection and securing the acquisition of the renowned Cecil Roth collection for the Museum during the early to mid-1960s. As a result of his significant contributions, he was bestowed the title of honourary curator to the Museum. Dr. Weinberg later branched out and assisted with the Koffler Gallery’s Lifecycle exhibition in 1984 as guest curator. The following year, he served as a special presenter and instructor to the docents at the “Precious Legacy” Czech Judaica exhibition at the ROM. The Weinberg’s most significant contribution to the museum world, however, was marked in September of 2000, when they were honoured at the opening of the Dr. Fred and Joy Cherry Weinberg Gallery of Judaica at the ROM, featuring some of their most valuable and treasured pieces.
Dr. Fred Weinberg passed away on October 30, 2003 at 84 years of age. The Weinberg Endowment Fund was established by the family at the University of Toronto’s Jewish Studies Program to honour Fred’s passion for Jewish history, rituals and artefacts. That year the Weinberg family also set up a fund in Fred’s name in support of the Therapeutic Clown Program, a highly visible and successful program within Sick Kids’ Pediatric Division.
Use Conditions
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Descriptive Notes
Use Conditions Note: Records contain patient names and medical information.
Subjects
Families
Physicians
Societies
Name Access
Weinberg, Fred, 1919-2003
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-2-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-2-1
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
ca. 300 photographs : b&w, sepia and col. (1 negative) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
40 cm of textual records
Date
[189-]-2007
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records created and accumulated by Bill Gladstone in the course of researching his book on the genealogical lineage of the Naftolin and Rubinoff families. Included are photographs of the Shmuel Chaim and Rachel Rubinoff branch, the Aaron Rubinowitz branch, the Benjamin Rubinoff branch, the Arnoff branch and the Naftolin branch. The photographs are in the form of family and individual portraits, candid snapshots, event photographs, Rubinoff store exteriors, and photographs of various life event celebrations. The textual records consist of research notes and copied material from various sources detailing the lives of individual family members.
Use Conditions
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
FINDING AID NOTE: It is recommended that researchers consult the book "One Hundred Years in Canada: the Rubinoff-Naftolin Family Tree" for more context when viewing the material.
USE CONDITIONS NOTE: Donor retains copyright for all original research and writing. Donor wishes to be notified prior to publication. Publication requests must receive permission from donor, if possible.
Subjects
Families
Name Access
Gladstone, Bill
Naftolin family
Rubinoff family
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-2-15
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-2-15
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 m of textual records
ca. 200 photographs
Date
[189-]-2013
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records created and collected by Bill Gladstone during the course of his research into the family history and genealogy of the Naftolin and Rubinoff families and their various branches. Included are Gladstone's extensive research files on each member of the family, which consist of hand-written research notes, correspondence with family members and government officials, newsclippings, copies of vital statistics, immigration and citizenship records, certificates, bereavement and sympathy cards, telegrams and congratulatory anniversary cards, invitations, and photographs.
Accession also consists of records related to the Agudas Hamishpocha, the family mutual benefit society and social club that was formed in 1928 by the Naftolin and Rubinoff families. These records include meeting invitations and flyers, anniversary and jubilee books, membership lists, photographs, loan society materials, newsclippings and articles, research notes, and a copy of the letters of incorporation.
Administrative History
Bill Gladstone is a direct decendent of the Naftolin-Rubinoff family. The five branches of the family as researched by Gladstone are the Rachel Rubinowitz and Shmuel Chaim Rubinowitz branch; Riva Rishe Rubinowitz and Itsha Maisha Naftolin branch; Binyamin (Benjamin) Rubinoff and Esther Dobin branch; Minya Rubinowitz and Elimelech Arnoff branch; and Aaron Rubinowtiz and Esther Cahansky branch. Rachel, Riva Rishe, Binyamin, Minya and Aaron were all siblings. Other family names include Cohen, Slovin, Rosensweig, Patlik and Alter.
Use Conditions
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
FINDING AID NOTE: It is recommended that researchers consult the book "One Hundred Years in Canada: the Rubinoff-Naftolin Family Tree" for more context when viewing the material.
USE CONDITION NOTE: Donor retains copyright for all original research and writing. Donor wishes to be notified prior to publication. Publication requests must receive permission from donor, if possible.
Subjects
Families
Name Access
Gladstone, Bill
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-4
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 artifact
Date
[between 1890 and 1910]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of an Underwood English typewriter made before 1910. It is metal with various parts and was sold at the City Typewriter Company on Adelaide St. in Toronto.
Administrative History
The Underwood typewriter was invented by the American Franz X. Wagner in the late 1890s. Wagner showed his model to the manufacturer of inks and typewriter ribbons, John Underwood. The Underwood typewriter was the forerunner to the modern typewriter, with its mechanics and appearance being almost identical to those seen today. Its success lay in one major advancement. This was a design that allowed typists to view what they were writing. Previous models had the paper and writing enclosed because the workings of the machine prevented visibility. The machine also sped up the type bar so that typing could be done with a lighter touch. It also had two shift keys giving capital letters and lowercase, and a tabulator key, which prevented rapid travel of the carriage (the top part of the typewriter). The machine was a success and the company had to move twice to expand, changing its name in the process from the Wagner Typewriter Company to the Underwood Typewriter Company. By 1939, five million Underwood machines had been produced and marketed all around the world.
Underwood Typewriter Company started to introduce addition and subtraction buttons around 1910, this typewriter does not have those buttons so it was likely made before 1910.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-10
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-5-10
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1.4 m of textual records and graphic material
Date
1851-2014
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records reflecting the academic, personal and literary life of Dr. Gerald Tulchinsky. The bulk of the material relates to Canada's garment industry, including photocopied reference material from various sources, reports and statistics, research notes, articles and graduate thesis on the topic, reminiscences by those in the industry and original records from specific firms and associations situated in Ontario and Quebec. Also included are manuscripts and accompanying material for Shtetl on the Grand and a book on the Canadian Clothing Industry, lecture notes, family correspondence and photographs, and the last will and testament of Anne Tulchinsky. All of the material from 1851-1935 are photocopies of original records.
Administrative History
Dr. Gerald Tulchinsky was Professor Emeritus at Queen's University, Department of History, and author of several books on the history of Canadian Jewry and labour issues in Canada. His books include: Shtetl on the Grand (2015); Joe Salsberg: A Life of Commitment (2013); Canada's Jews: A People's Journey (2008); Branching Out: The Transformation of the Canadian Jewish Community (1998); Taking Root: The Origins of the Canadian Jewish Community (1992); and The River Barons: Montreal Businessmen and the Growth of Industry and Transportation, 1837-53 (1977). Tulchinsky was born in Brantford, Ontario in 1933 to Harry and Anne Tulchinsky. He resided in Kingston, Ontario until his death on 13 Dec. 2017.
Use Conditions
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing the records.
Descriptive Notes
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE: This accession also includes numerous books, some of wihch don't relate to our mandate and others which are duplicates of our current holdings. The books that we have retained have been integrated into the OJA's library holdings. USE CONDITION NOTE: Access restricted until ten years after the donor's death, at the donor's request. Records will reopen on Dec. 14, 2027.
LANGUAGE NOTE: Some of the material is in French.
Subjects
Business
Labour and unions
Name Access
Tulchinsky, Gerald, 1933-2017
Places
Montreal, Que.
Toronto, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-8-7
Material Format
graphic material
graphic material (electronic)
textual record
Physical Description
38 photographs : b&w and col ; 52 x 42 cm or smaller
5 photographs : b&w (jpg)
1 folder of textual records
Date
1880-1967
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of the Bernstein, Seskin and Norris families.
Custodial History
Michael Bernstein inherited the collection that was formerly in the possession of his grandmother Ettie Bernstein. He also acquired the photogaph album belonging to Eva and Srulick Norris, friends of Ettie's.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-10-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2016-10-3
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records (1 vol.)
1 photograph
Date
1889-1890, [between 1914-1918]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a ledger book from Henry Sadowski's General Store in Massey, Ontario. The book features entries that document various purchases during 1889 and 1890. Half of the book is written in Yiddish and the other half is in English. The store appears to have operated on credit, allowing purchasers to buy goods and then pay their balance all at once.
There is also one photograph of an unknown soldier of the First World War. The photograph was tucked between the pages of the book. There is Yiddish writing on the reverse side.
Administrative History
Henry Sadowski was married to Rose Sadowski. He was the mayor of Massey, Ontario in 1914 and ran the General Store. Henry and Rose also owned a lumber camp in the area.
Descriptive Notes
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE: Entries in English are written phonetically. For example, the word "pad" refers to "paid", and the words "to goods" refers to "two goods."
Subjects
Communities
Business
Name Access
Sadowski, Henry
Places
Massey, Ont.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-1-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2017-1-3
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 20 x 25 cm
Date
[before 1937]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photograph of Holy Blossom Synagogue on Bond Street, Toronto. It was located at this location from 1897-1937.
Name Access
Holy Blossom Temple (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2018-4-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2018-4-4
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
ca. 35 photographs : b&w and col. ; 33 x 27 cm or smaller
Date
1891-2013
Scope and Content
Accession consists of material documenting members of Harvey Freeman's family, several of whom served in the armed forces. Included are: family photographs, a Krugel family tree, a copy of Itzik Kriegel (Harvey's grandfather)'s army discharge, an attestation paper for Louis Krugel (Harvey's uncle), a signed program for a "stag whoopee dinner and night of blissful freedom" in honour of Lou Krugel's approaching marriage, and printed images of Harvey's daughter Tamar Freeman in Afghanistan. One of the photographs depicts Louis Krugel with professional wrestler and actor Tor Johnson, aka the Swedish Angel.
Photo Caption (001): Wellesley Public School, [ca. 1915]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (002): Louis Krugel. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (003): Buba Sluva with Sara, Moe, Lou, and Harry, 1909. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (004): Berel Krugel in front of 22 Gerard Street West, Toronto, [ca. 1919]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (005): Wedding, 28 September 1926. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (006): Louis Krugel. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (007): Baba Tzluva with Harry, [189-?]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (008): Louis Krugel. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (009): Shabbat dinner, [ca. 1940]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (010): Norman, Buba Sluva, and Bert, [ca. 1922]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (011): Family portrait, 1909. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (012): Harry and Sara, 1916. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (013): Louis Krugel, [192-?]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (014): Louis Krugel and unknown man posing with boxing gloves, [1918?]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (015): Louis Krugel, 1918. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (016): Harvey Freeman at Camp Borden, 1945. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (017): Unknown. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (018): Louis Krugel and unknown man, 1918. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (019): Louis Krugel with Tor Johnson, aka the Swedish Angel, [194-]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (020): Signed portrait of Louis Krugel. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Photo Caption (021): Louis Krugel, [192-]. Ontario Jewish Archives, Blankenstein Family Heritage Centre, accession 2018-4-4.
Administrative History
Harvey Freeman was born on May 22, 1928. As a youth, he attended Harbord Collegiate and went on to join the militia, where he was the lone Canadian Jewish bagpiper.
Harvey made his living in business, working in different areas including furniture manufacturing and property management. As part of a change in lifestyle, he took up marathons in his early seventies.
Harvey has four children.
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Descriptive Notes
ASSOCIATED MATERIALS: Records for Harvey's daughter Tamar can be found in Accession 2013-7-8.
Subjects
Afghan War, 2001---Participation, Canadian
Families
Soldiers--Canada
Name Access
Freeman, Harvey
Freeman, Tamar
Johnson, Tor, 1903-1971
Places
Afghanistan
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2018-4-15
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2018-4-15
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
8 photographs : b&w and col. (hand-tinted) ; 21 x 26 or smaller
Date
1885-2003
Scope and Content
Accession consists of the records of Pearl "Pesh" and Solly Zucker. Included is Jennie Davis' birth certificate (1885), the invitation to the marriage of Jennie Davis and Simon Sidman (1910), Jennie and Simon's ketubah from the New Synagogue and Beth-Hamidrash, Cheetham Hill Rd (1910), Simon Sidman's burial card (1928), Pearl's birth certificate (1914), Solly's birth certificate (1908), Pearl and Solly's ketubah from the United Synagogue in Manchester (1934), marriage certificate of Jennie Sidman and Myer Cohen (1956), British passports for both Jennie Cohen and Pearl and Solly Zucker, Canadian citizenship certificates for Solly and Pearl, and photos of Simon Sidman, Solly and Pearl, Solly, Gerald and Simon, Pearl's wedding portrait, and two portraits of Esther and Isaac Sugar. Also included are writings by Pearl, mostly written after the passing of Solly in 2001, and typed by her daughter-in-law, Jan Zucker.
Administrative History
Pearl Miller Zucker (née Sidman) was born on 18 Jan. 1914 in Manchester, England to Jennie Sidman Cohen (née Davis) (b. 5 May 1885, Russia-d. 31 Dec. 1983, Toronto) and Simon Sidman. Miller was the middle name given to Pearl at birth by her father. Pearl's mother Jennie had married Simon Sidman on 21 Aug. 1910. Simon died on 10 Dec. 1928 at age 45. Jennie then married Myer Cohen on Feb. 15, 1956 in Manchester, who died sometime between 1956 and 1959. Jennie became a landed immigrant in Canada in 1959.
Moses Solomon "Solly" Zucker (Sugar) (b. 6 Feb. 1908, County of Gateshead, England-d. 22 Jan. 2001, Toronto) was born to Isaac and Esther Sugar (née Greenbaum). He married Pearl "Pesh" Sidman on 20 June 1934. Miller was Pearl's given middle name. The couple had two sons: Gerald Zucker (b. 5 July 1936) and Simon Zucker (b. 15 Nov. 1937). Solly served with the fire brigade in Manchester during the Second World War.
The couple immigrated to Canada from England in June 1952 for economic reasons. Pearl had a cousin named Mark Gilbert already living in Canada. The couple and their two sons first landed in Montreal, but only stayed a year before moving to Toronto. Upon arrival in Canada, Solly got a job with the Canadian Government, possibly with the RCAF at Downsview. Pearl worked for Bell Canada. The family belonged to Shaarei Tefillah Synagogue and lived in the Bathurst and Eglinton area.
Pearl died on 20 February 2018 at the age of 104.
Subjects
Families
Name Access
Zucker, Pearl, 1914-2018
Places
England
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Level
File
ID
Fonds 104; File 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Frankel and Draper family fonds
Level
File
Fonds
104
File
7
Material Format
textual record
object
Date
[ca. 1893]-1945
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 objects
Scope and Content
File consists of a correspondence between two friends carried on in verse after discovering both were "poets" in German and English written in 1893. It was sent to Edmund Scheuer of Holy Blossom Temple by Leo Frankel in 1938. There are also letters, certificates, a booklet, a membership coin and an ornate badge in a leather case documenting Carl Frankel's involvement with the Royal Arch Chapter of St. Andrew and St. John and the Palestine Lodge of the Masons beginning in the 1920s. In addition there are receipts and bills of sale for merchandise purchased by Carl Frankel from Levy Brothers, Wholesale and Manufacturing Jewellers in Hamilton, Ontario.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 64
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
64
Material Format
multiple media
Date
1859-1980, predominant 1977-1979
Physical Description
ca. 5178 photographs and other material
Admin History/Bio
The “Shuls Project” was the work of three University of Toronto architecture students, who in 1977 wrote a research paper on the eight Toronto synagogues built before World War II. Concerned at the lack of resources on these synagogues, Sidney Tenenbaum, Lynn Milstone and Sheldon Levitt foresaw the loss of communities’ recorded history as membership dwindled and elders passed on. The students conceived a project that would photograph and document every synagogue in Canada, gathering visual evidence, memorabilia, plaques and stories before they disappeared and history was lost. The students’ goal was to document synagogues’ architecture, art, and historical development through research, interviews and site visits.
The students secured a large portion of the required funding for the project from the Samuel and Saidye Bronfman Family Foundation in Montreal, funding which was matched by the Canadian Jewish Congress. This financial support enabled Levitt, Milstone and Tenenbaum to begin their study, named “Shuls… A Study of Canadian Synagogue Architecture.” They began in the summer of 1977, traveling through the Western provinces. The next summer, they visited eight Maritime cities, Montreal and other Quebec communities. Financial support in the project’s second year was again provided by the Bronfman Family Foundation, along with the Canadian government and donations in kind from businesses, including Benjamin Photo Finishers in Toronto, and Polaroid. The summer of 1979 was spent in Ontario, with an added grant from Wintario. In total, the Shuls project team traveled over 24,000 kilometres, taking thousands of photographs and conducting several hundred interviews. Photographs were taken by Tenenbaum, with Levitt and Milstone assuming primary responsibility for researching synagogues’ history and gathering historic records. Interviews were conducted by all three researchers, in both English and Yiddish.
With no handy index of every shul in Canada, the researchers located small shuls by word of mouth. They spread word of their project and solicited assistance using press releases, letters to known communities, and slideshow presentations as they traveled. They would first examine a building to get an idea of a community’s character and heritage, then conduct interviews with designers, architects, rabbis and other prominent community members.
With the research and photographs created, the team compiled three catalogues of the Western, Eastern/Quebec, and Ontario phases of the project. These catalogues have entries on each synagogue that include historical summaries highlighting the founding, growth, mergers and decline of Jewish communities, their changing needs, changing architectural expressions and trends, and the evolving uses of synagogues over the course of the twentieth century. There are also building descriptions, some with critical comments by the authors, and lists of the photographs and slides produced.
The compilation of materials and preparation of these catalogues took place at the Project’s offices at 26 Ava Road in Toronto, and continued through the summer of 1980 when the Ontario catalogue was completed. In 1985, Tenenbaum, Milstone and Levitt published a book highlighting their work, called Treasures of a People: The Synagogues of Canada.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of the records created and collected by the team of students conducting the Shuls study from 1977 to 1980. The majority of the fonds is made up of graphic material, in the form of 35mm colour slides and black-and-white Polaroid prints and (print-size) negatives. There are approximately 5110 photographs in the fonds. Fonds also consists of notes and inventory forms of buildings' architectural features. There are no interview transcripts, but the fonds does include three audio cassettes with recorded interviews and shul tours. Reference materials used in researching the history of the shuls include dedication and anniversary commemorative books and programmes, newsletters, articles and newspaper clippings. In addition the fonds contains 47 blueprints, the majority from Montreal synagogues. The fonds is arranged in the following series: 1. Quebec synagogues; 2. Ontario synagogues; 3. Western Canada synagogues; 4. Eastern Canada synagogues; 5. Reference.
Notes
Physical description note: includes 92 cm of textual records, 42 architectural drawings, 3 audio cassettes, and 1 drawing.
Physical extent note: many of the slides were culled because they were felt to be reproductions. Some of the synagogue images in the research book may therefore not be included in the fonds.
Name Access
Shuls Project
Subjects
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Creator
Levitt, Sheldon
Milstone, Lynn
Tenenbaum, Sidney T.
Places
Canada
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 64; Series 5; File 41
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
The Shuls Project fonds
Reference series
Level
File
Fonds
64
Series
5
File
41
Material Format
textual record
architectural drawing
Date
1859-1978
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
4 architectural drawings
Scope and Content
File contains photocopied articles, a newspaper clipping, photocopied photographs, a greeting card with photograph on cover, copies of the 1859 contract commissioning the erection of the synagogue as well as a list of specifications for the masons, and blueprints for the 1967 extension.
Subjects
Synagogues
Places
Montréal (Québec)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Miscellaneous collection series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 9; Item 7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Miscellaneous collection series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
9
Item
7
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[between 1890 and 1910]
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Jake Wolfe was related to Max and Maurice Wolfe who started the Ontario Produce Company, which was the forerunner of the IGA grocery franchise.
Scope and Content
Photograph of Jake (Yael) Wolfe and Sarah Frieidel.
Name Access
Frieidel, Sarah
Wolfe, Jake
Subjects
Portraits
Weddings
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Weddings series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 6; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Weddings series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
6
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1895]
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
Miriam and Moishe Oelbaum were the parents of Sidney, Chas, Irv, Babe and Jack.
Scope and Content
Photograph of Miriam and Moishe Oelbaum's wedding portrait.
Name Access
Oelbaum, Miriam
Oelbaum, Moishe
Subjects
Married people
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Weddings series
Level
Series
ID
Fonds 37; Series 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Weddings series
Level
Series
Fonds
37
Series
6
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1895-1966
Physical Description
8 negatives : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
Series consists of images taken at weddings by both Nathan and Al Gilbert.
The wedding images are of brides and grooms, guests, the head table and dessert tables, and the ceremony. Some of the images are taken in synagogues.
Subjects
Weddings
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rose Dunkelman fonds
Level
Fonds
ID
Fonds 39
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Rose Dunkelman fonds
Level
Fonds
Fonds
39
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Date
1896-1979
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
28 photographs : b&w (11 negatives) ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
2 scrapbooks
Admin History/Bio
Rose Dunkelman (1889-1949) was born Rose Miller in Philadelphia to Mr. Harry Miller and Mrs. Dora (Belkin) Miller. At the age of 13 she moved to Toronto where she received her education and where she resided with her family until her death in 1949 at the age of 59. Rose Dunkelman devoted her life to helping the less fortunate, particularly children and orphans, and to championing the cause of Zionism at home and abroad. She was internationally known and respected for her philanthropic work and for her knowledge of, and dedication to, Zionist causes. She was a leader in the Canadian Jewish community for more than 30 years.
On 19 January 1910 she married David Dunkelman (1883-1978), founder and president of Tip Top Tailors Ltd. The couple had 6 children: Joseph, Ernest, Benajamin, Theodora, Veronica (Annenberg) (Ourisman) and Zelda (Wilner).
Rose was a founding member of the Zionist Organization of Canada, vice-president of the Ontario Zionist Region, and founded and chaired the Canadian branch of Youth Aliyah in 1933. For over 25 years, Rose held various positions within the Hadassah-Wizo Organization of Canada, including president of the Toronto Council of Hadassah (1921), honourary president on the executive board (1938-40), joint chairman of the war effort (1941), president of the Hadassah Organization of Canada Central Chapter of Toronto (1937-8; 1945-6), and honourary national vice-president. Rose also founded the Hadassah Bazaar in 1924. There is currently a Canadian Hadassah day care centre in Neve Sharett named in her honour as well as the Rose Dunkelman Memorial Community Center in Hadassim erected in 1950 in her memory.
In 1930, prompted by the 1929 attack on Jews at the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem and in Hebron, Rose and David Dunkelman founded the magazine, the Jewish Standard, as a Zionist forum for the English-speaking Jewish population of Canada. She was the periodical's first publisher and managing editor.
After the First World War, Rose worked as an officer with the Canadian Red Cross, bringing war orphans to Canada from Eastern Europe, for which she was presented with the Coronation Medal by King George VI in 1937. She was also active in the rehabilitation of First World War veterans.
During the Second World War, as chair of Ontario Youth Aliyah, Rose helped rescue children from Nazi persecution at Auschwitz, Treblinka, Buchenwald and Dachau concentration camps and helped secure their passage to and resettlement in Palestine. Dunkelman held leadership positions in many domestic and international Jewish and Zionist programs and projects -- many focused on the welfare of Jewish children -- including the Jewish National Fund, Karen Hayesod, Karen Kayemeth, Young Judaea, the Toronto Hebrew Free Schools, and the YM-YWHA. She also served on the Canadian Family Allowance Board after the Second World War.
After a lengthy illness, Rose died on 20 October 1949 in Toronto at the age of 59. She was buried at Goel Tzedec's cemetery on Dawes Rd. and was later re-interred in Israel's national cemetery at Degania on 14 January 1953, as she requested in her will.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of personal and business correspondence, family letters, newsclippings, event invitations, articles, two scrapbook albums and other textual material relating to Dunkelman's death and re-interment in Israel, her philanthropic activities with Hadassah and Youth Aliyah, and her business activities with the Jewish Standard.
One scrapbook contains a testimonial certificate presented to Rose by Toronto Hadassah on her recovery from ill health (1926), while the other was presented to her by Toronto Hadassah on the occasion of her 57th birthday in 1946. This scrapbook contains photographs of the banquet along with several pages of signatures from members of local Hadassah chapters.
The photographs include: Rose Dunkelman's re-interment in Israel (1953), a birthday banquet for Rose hosted by Hadassah (date uncertain), a portrait of Rose as a young woman (ca. 1905), David Dunkelman as a young boy in Brooklyn, NY (1896), the groundbreaking ceremony for the Mount Sinai Hospital (Toronto) extension (1966), a portrait of Benjamin Dunkelman in Israel (1953), and one photograph of Rose Dunkelman with Mrs. Sara Delano Roosevelt (1941).
Name Access
Cohen, Israel
Dunkelman, Ben, 1913-1997
Dunkelman, David
Dunkelman, Ernest
Dunkelman, Rose, 1889-1949
Dunkelman, Theodore
Dunkelman, Veronica
Dunkelman, Zelda
Dunkelman, Joseph
Family Allowance Board
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Hadassah-WIZO Organization of Canada
Hebrew Free Schools
Jewish Federated Charities
Jewish National Fund
Jewish Standard
Karen Hayesod
Karen Kayemeth
Red Cross
Steinglass, Meyer F.
Tip Top Tailors
Weisgal, Meyer
YM-YWHA
Zionist Organization of Canada
Subjects
Businesspeople
Philanthropists
Zionists
Physical Condition
Some of the documents are very brittle.
Related Material
Ben Dunkelman fonds 2: (accession 2000-3-4)
Ben Dunkelman accession: 1978-6-6
Zionist Organization of Canada fonds 28, series 6, file 27
photo #4690
Hadassah accession: 1978-1-2, 1984-12-3, 2003-3-1, MG2 J1I
The Jewish Standard: MG9
Creator
Dunkelman, Rose, 1889-1949
Accession Number
1988-5-8
Source
Archival Descriptions
176 records – page 1 of 4.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Language

Restrictions

Available Digital Content