Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
1861 records – page 1 of 38.
Accession Number
2010-6-15
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-15
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
[ca. 1952]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one brochure used as part of a fundraising campaign for the purchase of Hillel House at the University of Toronto.
Descriptive Notes
Hillel House is now known as the Wolfond Centre for Jewish Campus Life
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-16
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-16
Material Format
sound recording
Physical Description
1 audio disc (6 min.) : 45 rpm, vinyl ; 18 cm
Date
[ca. 1970]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one record titled "The Unknown Band: Live at the Unknown Auditorium," which features the songs "Lubavitcher Twist" and "Shake it up Zayde". The Unknown Band members are Zale Newman, Chaim Shainhouse, Uncle Milty (Moishe Tanenbaum), and Richard Levine. The album was recorded at Stakar Studios, Toronto and Saul Helman was the Studio Engineer.
Custodial History
The origin of the record is unknown.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-19
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-19
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
2 photographs : b&w, col. ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Date
1987-1995
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the Business and Professional Women's Network of UJA Toronto. Included are BP newsletter updates from 1989-1992, and programs and correspondence regarding annual installation of officers dinners. There are also two photographs: one of a Youth Aliyah village and another of a scene from "The Quarrel."
Custodial History
The records were brought in by Lisa Morrison. We returned a number of duplicates of the newsletters and programs to her.
Descriptive Notes
For related records see accession 1997-7-5.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-21
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-21
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 glass jar : glass ; 8 cm in diam. x 15 cm in height
Date
[ca. 1930]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a clear glass jar with a star of David, the company name "Toronto Hebrew Association of Butter Dealers," and the price of the jar (5 cents) embossed on it.
Custodial History
This item was found in the reading room.
Administrative History
Jewish dairymen banded together to form the Toronto Hebrew Association of Butter Dealers for commercial protection and co-operative action; a counterpart by independent merchants to the trade union movement. These bottles contained a variety of dairy products (usually butter and sour cream) and were returnable for 5 cents.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: for additional Toronto Hebrew Association of Butter Dealers glass jars see accession 1985-8-2 and Fonds 22. These are all 10 cm in height.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-22
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-22
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
1.55 m of textual records and other material
Date
1958-[ca.2009]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the operations, programs and events of the Lions Club of Forest Hill. Non-textual records include photographs, a VHS tape of the closing affair memorial service (June 1996), a floppy disk, Club vests with pins and metal badges. The textual records include newsletters, correspondence, brochures, member lists, certificates of duty, organizational charts, receipts, meeting minutes and agendas. Textual records also include announcements and financial records from charity and fundraising events put on by the Lions Club and a book titled, "The Toronto Lion" about different club histories in Toronto.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 2 vests, ca. 50 pins, ca. 50 photographs, 1 floppy disk, and 1 VHS tape
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-1
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1.2 m of textual material
Date
1990-2006
Scope and Content
The records in this accession include: Executive Committee records such as agendas, minutes and reports (1995-2001); Board of Directors records (1995-2003); AGM records (1990-2006); and annual budget materials (1995-2004).
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: also see the following accessions for related material: 1993-6/3, 1994-5/1, 1995-7/1, 1996-2/1, 1996-9/2, 2004-6/9, 2009-12/10.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
40 cm of textual records
Date
[1998?]-2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 1 box of gittin.
Use Conditions
Closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director and Rabbi in charge of gittin (or the Chair of the Reform Rabbis of Greater Toronto) prior to accessing the records.
Descriptive Notes
Gittin are in sealed envelopes and identified by the surname(s) of parties involved. The start date assigned to this accession may not be accurate as the gittin are sealed and not all are marked with a date on the envelope.
Subjects
Get (Jewish law)
Name Access
Reform Rabbis of Greater Toronto
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-17
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-17
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 6 cm
Date
[ca. 1944] - [ca. 2003]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one photograph of Norman Gulko that was taken in Holland near the end of the Second World War and Norman's unpublished war memoir entitled "A Toronto Boy Goes to War."
Administrative History
Norman Gulko was born in Toronto on March 4, 1923. He was conscripted into the Royal Canadian Army in late 1942 and joined Canada's active service in 1944. Norman was initially stationed in Italy, but was moved to various other cities in France, Holland and Germany. After the war, Norman received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Toronto and worked as a social worker in Toronto from 1952 until his retirement in 1988.
Name Access
Gulko, Norman
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-3
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
30 cm of textual records
Date
1911-1949
Scope and Content
The accession includes a variety of items such as a bound volume of the Toronto UJWF annual reports (1940-1949), a hagadah from 1911 used by Sol Eisen, a first edition volume of the Naomi Cook Book (1928), ketubot for Sol and Rebecca Eisen and Ethel Soloway to Ben Litvack and scrapbook and diaries produced by Sol Eisen (1915-1943). The scrapbooks include many clippings documenting his own accomplishments, family simchas or other topics that were of interest to him. The diaries are mostly hand written and detail his thoughts and activities from the time that he was a student until he was employed with the Canada Life Assurance Company.
Custodial History
The donor is Sol Eisen's son. He gave Steve Speisman the diaries and scrapbooks to microfilm in 1979 and the OJA has had those copies in their holdings since that time. A copy of the microfilm was also provided to the Multicultural History Society of Ontario.
Administrative History
Sol EIsen was born in Toronto on 15 February 1898. He was the son of Abraham and Nettie (Baker) Eisen. He completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Toronto. It was there that he established the Menorah Society in 1917. He graduated in 1918. He then completed a post-graduate degree at Harvard (1919) and completed his law studies at Osgoode Law School (1921).
Soon after completing his studies, he married Rebecca Dunkelman on 14 June 1922. The wedding took place at Holy Blossom and was officiated by Rabbi Brickner. The couple had three children: Morton, Annette (m. Yolles) and Gloria (m. Baskin).
He initially worked as a barister and had an office within the Dominion Bank Building at Queen and Bay. In 1936 he was offered a position with the Canada Life Assurance Company. He became one of their leading sellers in North America. He served on the board of the companies Millionaire's Club for many years.
Eisen was very involved in the Jewish community as well. He was a member of the Primrose Club, the Island Yacht Club, the Palestine Lodge and the Holy Blossom Brotherhood. He assisted in the formation of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of Toronto as well as the Canadian Jewish Congress. In fact, he attended the first CJC meeting in Montreal in 1919 as a Toronto delegate. He was also one of the founders of JIAS.
Outside of the community he was involved in and was a founder and president of the Forest Hill Lion's Club (1954) and was active in the Masons, the ROM and the Toronto Board of Trade.
Eisen was also an avid collector of Canadiana. His holdings included books, pamphlets, printed ephemera from across the country. He passed away in 1974 and left his collection or rare books and other items to the University of Waterloo.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: see accession 1979-9/38 for the microfilm version of the scrapbooks and diaries.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-18
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-18
Material Format
graphic material
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
222 photographs (negatives, prints, jpg) : col. and b&w ; 18 x 13 cm and smaller
Date
[191-]-[ca. 1970]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs which document the Gilbert family and Gilbert Studios. Photographs of the Gilbert family are predominately portraits of Nina and the children during the 1920s and 1930s. The Gilbert Studios material largely consist of portraits of members of the Jewish community and fashion and wedding photographs. Also included in the accession are both negatives and a print of the Elite Studios storefront taken in 1923. Other notable photograph subjects in the accession include the B. Sherman Hardware storefront, Lou and Nat Turofsky, Harry Sonshine, Leon Weinstein, J. Irving Oelbaum, and Alex Levinsky. All images in the accession are black and white except for a print of Nathan Phillips.
Custodial History
The photographs were donated in 2008 and notes indicate that the archivist was awaiting documentation from Jack Gilbert. Since that time, some materials have been returned to the donor upon request. Previous archivists placed the negatives in acid-free envelopes and scanned a portion of the material. The original conservation report for the glass negatives completed in 2008 evaluated 42 glass negatives, but only 26 remain in this accession.
Administrative History
Nachman (Nathan) Gittelmacher was born in Kiev, Ukraine in 1898, the son of Shloima and Mattie Gittelmacher. Suffering terribly during the pogroms of 1918 and 1920, he fled from place to place and then emigrated to Canada in 1921. Trained as a photographer in Europe, he opened his own photography studio in Toronto in 1922, called Elite Studios. First located at 513 Queen Street West, he soon moved to 615 Queen Street West. Nathan serviced a largely Jewish clientele, photographing weddings, bar mitzvahs, as well as Jewish community events. Nathan was married to Nina Sokoloff and they had three sons and a daughter: Louis (Lou), Albert (Al), Jack, and Ruth. During the early 1940s, the family legally changed their name from Gittelmacher to Gilbert and subsequently altered the name of the business to Gilbert Studios. When Nathan moved to the United States, Al, who had been working there since a young age, took over the business and under his management it thrived. In order to accommodate his growing clientele, he moved the studio to Eglinton Avenue and later to 170 Davenport Road, where it is situated today. Al made a name for himself as a portrait photographer, using natural light in innovative ways to create more natural looking portraits. Al’s primary work involved producing portraits of families, weddings, bar mitzvahs, special events and dinners. Most of his early clients were from the Jewish community. In turn, he also was paid to produce portraits of local entrepreneurs, and his multi-year contract with the city, gave him sole responsibility for the production of portraits of the mayors and councilmen and women. He later branched out beyond the Jewish community, and began to produce images of businessmen and leaders from the Italian community in Toronto. In addition to the paid contracts involving local personalities and groups, Al Gilbert has also produced many artistic portraits of local, national and international celebrities, artists and leaders such as: Wayne and Shuster, Howie Mandel, Oscar Peterson, Frank Sinatra, Duke Ellington, Robertson Davies, several Canadian prime ministers as well as Prince Charles, all of the Israeli prime ministers, which were made into stamps by the Israeli government, and finally, the last Pope. Gilbert’s work therefore captures a huge range of individuals from the ordinary bride to extraordinary world leaders. Al has won many awards as well as accolades from his peers throughout his career. He is the three-time recipient of the prestigious Professional Photographers of Canada (PPOC) Photographer of the year honour. He has been named Fellow of the photographic societies in Canada, Britain and the United States. In 1990, he was awarded the Order of Canada. In January 2007, the Professional Photographers of America presented him with their Lifetime Achievement Award. This award is the highest honor PPA can bestow on a person for their body of work and influence on professional photography.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: see fonds 37 and accessions 2007-12-17, 2007-12-18, 2008-4-7, 2008-6-12, 2009-5-2, 2009-7-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-4
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1944-1969
Scope and Content
Accession consists of Holy Blossom confirmation service programs from 1944 and 1969 -- years when Nancy Frankel and Paula Draper were Confirmands respectively. There is also a directory listing of the Holy Blossom Temple Confirmation Class of 1969.
Administrative History
Nancy Frankel (b. 1928) is the daughter of Carl and Dorothy Jacobs Frankel. She married Darrell Draper on December 10th, 1949. They had three children: Paula (b. 1953), Philip (b. 1954), Kenneth (b. 1957). Nancy is a longtime volunteer at the OJA.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-6
Material Format
textual record (electronic)
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
3 photographs : b&w (jpg)
1 letterhead (jpg)
Date
[ca. 1938]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of scans of three black and white photographs of Arthur Warren with others in Geraldton and one Warren's Mens Wear letterhead.
Custodial History
Margaret Warren Singer is married to OJA volunteer Les Singer, who brought in the materials. Margaret provided the history of her family and Geraldton and retains the original documents.
Administrative History
Margaret Warren Singer's parents, Arthur and Lucille Warren, lived in Geraldton for five years during the Depression. Geraldton is a mining town 200 miles north of Thunder Bay. The family moved there as they had difficulties making a living in Toronto. At the time, Geraldton had no road leading to the town, just a daily train. It has been said that it took only five minutes to sort the mail when the train arrived.
Arthur had a men's wear store which catered to the miners and residents. Their first daughter, Carole, was born in Toronto, but spent her early years in the town. When she slept in her carriage outside the store, the miners would occasionally toss money into it.
There were several Jewish families in the town who met for social occasions. Alfie Schwartz, a Toronto lawyer who told Arthur of the town, lived there with his wife Myra for a number of years. There was also a pharmacist named Leon [Sher?]. Others living in Geraldton were Sam and Mary Chesin, and Gladys Hurtig and her husband. Gladys was not Jewish, but her husband was a distant relative of Mel Hurtig, the publisher and political activist. Myra Schwartz now lives in Toronto.
Arthur's brother, Sydney Warren, and brother-in-law, Irving Rother, were both medical students at the time and spent summers in Geraldton with the Warren family. They lived with the family and had jobs in the copper mines. Dr. Sydney Warren is now deceased, but Dr. Irving Rother is 91 and lives in Toronto.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-5
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
47 photographs : b&w and hand col. ; 18 x 22 cm or smaller
Date
[ca. 1918]-[ca. 1960]
Scope and Content
The accession consists of 47 photographs documenting the Pascowitz and Grossman families.
Custodial History
The records were sent to the OJA by Debby Shocket at the JAHSENA archives in Edmonton. She received them from an individual who picked them up at a garage sale and didn't know which family they documented. Debby could see they were from Toronto and asked if we would like them. A number of the original images were given to the donor, since he didn't have many photographs of his family and they were similar to other images in this donation.
Administrative History
Gimpel (Yacob) and Rivka Pascowitz came to Canada from Poland in 1903 and 1905 respectively. He arrived first to set up residence and then sent for his wife and seven children a couple years later. Their last child, Morris, was born in Toronto in 1907. They lived at 138 Elizabeth Street in the Ward. Gimpel ran a delicatessen below their home and served as Gabbai of Beth Jacob Congregation on Henry Street. Their son Charles was born around 1900. He enlisted in the Royal Fusilliers, where he served as a sapper in Egypt during the First World War. His regiment was part of the Jewish Legion. When he returned he worked for Canadian National as a telegraph operator transmitting messages in Morse code.
The Grossman daughters, Anna (m. Pascowitz), Ruth (m. Godfrey) and Esther, arrived from Galicia in June 1921. The family sent the three eldest girls to Toronto after their grandfather had been murdered during a pogrom in the spring of 1921. At that time they were 21, 19 and 20 respectively. They stayed with their aunt, Annie (Grossman), and uncle Charles Goodman, who lived at 190 Seaton Street. Esther found a job as a fur finisher with J. Schwartz & Co. on Queen Street West. She later worked for Schipper, Freifeld furriers on Spadina Avenue. Anne located a job at the Biltmore Hat Factory. Ruth trained as a bookkeeper and found a job with Okun Brothers Ltd., millinery manufacturers on York Street. The rest of the family, including their parents Moses and Rose, arrived many years later. Their brother, David Grossman, immigrated to Toronto in February 1927 and found work as an upholsterer. Their parents, Moses and Rose, came three years later in March 1930 with the youngest child Rivkah (m. Agranove).They lived with Anne after their arrival and later moved in with their unmarried daughters and resided at 490 Euclid Avenue. Moses died in 1939 and Rose in 1972.
Charles Pascowitz and Anna Grossman married in Toronto on 8 February 1925. The couple had two children: Gilbert (b. 1925) and Herbert (b. 1927). The family moved to the east end of Toronto during the 1930s after Charlie lost his job with the CNR. They lived at 340 Kingston Road and opened a grocery store on the ground floor. Charlie was active in the Beach shul and served as a voluntary Hazzan, leading services. The kids attended Norway Public School. During his youth, Herb worked as a delivery boy for a grocery store. He later became a lifeguard as a later teen at B'nai Brith Camp and Camp Kitonim at Balfour Beach. Both boys served in the ROTC during the Second World War. Herbert attended the University of Toronto and completed his BSc in 1949 and his medical degree in 1953. He became a psychiatrist. Gilbert attended the University of Toronto as well and later interned in New York and became a pediatrician. He married Sandra Posen and the couple settled in Brantford. They had five children.
Herbert married his first wife Shirley Weinberg. She later changed her first name to Eve. The couple had four boys: Jonathan (b. 1954), Ron (b. 1957), Andrew (b. 1962) and Dan (b. 1964). They moved to Edmonton. After the couple divorced in 1975, Eve and the boys returned to Toronto. Herbert married Marilyn Berg in 1977.
Charlie Pascoe passed away in December 1970 and Anne several years later in March of 1977.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-7
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1909-1939
Scope and Content
Accession consists of textual records that document Sam's involvement in the Russian army and his immigration to Canada. Included is a copy of his naturalization certificate (1919), a JIAS shipping receipt for a package sent to Russia (1939), Russian army documents, and a temporary Russian passport (1914).
Administrative History
Sam Levine was born in Postov, Vilna, Russia on April 10th, 1885 to Mr. and Mrs. Eliahu Levine. Prior to immigrating to Canada, he received training as a blacksmith in the Russian army and had two daughters with his wife Sarah (d. 1968): Bessie (b. 1909) and Betty (b. 1913). His wife and daughters joined him in Canada around 1921; a year after he became a naturalized Canadian. After their arrival, Sam and his wife had two more daughters: Ethel (b. 1922) and Sylvia (b. 1924).
The Levine family resided at 11 Euclid and owned a stable at 22 Euclid, which Sam used as a place to shoe horses for profit. Throughout his career, Sam took on various metal work jobs, including building gates for residences and cemeteries, such as Roselawn Lambton. He often did the metal work at home and soldered the completed pieces together on site. During the Second World War, Sam had a contract with Lincoln Electric to build casings for motors.
Sam was part of the Grand Order of Israel and Sarah was a member of Folks Farein. Sam taught himself how to read English, and regularly frequented horse races. Sam passed away in 1976.
Descriptive Notes
Language note: some documents are in Russian and Yiddish
Related material note: see also accession #1988-11-12.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-7-8
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
31 cm of textual records and other material
Date
1950-1991
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the operations of the Shield's family bicycle business. Non-textual materials include a leather wallet and a metal key chain, both with the Shields name on them. The textual records include catalogues for bike parts and accessories, price lists, stationary, invoices, order forms, stickers, employee requirements, management reports, receipts, meeting minutes, insurance certificates and letters about operations, profit margins, requests and proposals. Other textual material includes correspondence between family members. There is also one poster for Peugeot Cycles, which were distributed by Shields.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-1
Material Format
object
Physical Description
1 window : glass, wood ; 66 x 66 cm
Date
[1955?]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one stained glass synagogue window. The wooden-framed window features a blue Star of David on a yellow background. The window was likely created when the building was extensively renovated in 1955. It is possible, however, that it was created for the 1924 building and was retained after the 1955 renovations.
Custodial History
Sidney Holtzkener, the donor's husband, was a house chairman and volunteered to take the window. The window was displayed in the donor's home until the couple moved in 2009.
Administrative History
The London Jewish community had a single congregation until disagreements led to Moses Leff organizing an alternative minyan. This became Congregation B'nai Moses Ben Judah, named after Moses Pollock. Their first synagogue building, a remodelled wooden church, opened in 1907. This building was supplanted by a new and enlarged structure in 1924. The building was renovated and enlarged again in 1955, but did retain some elements of the old structure. In 1966 B'nai Moses Ben Judah almagamated with B'nai Israel, and consequently Congregation Or Shalom was created. The B'nai Israel building was chosen to house the new congregation and the the B'nai Moses building was sold to the Roman Catholic Diocese. Accordingly, its stained glass windows were removed. Edward's Glass Company Limited held on to the windows and later contacted the Holtzkeners to give them one. The Holtzkeners were members of B'nai Moses and later Congregation Or Sholom from at least 1944 until they moved to Toronto in 2009.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: see MG 3 B-7 for further Congregation Or Shalom records
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
13 cm of textual records
Date
1982-2009
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting Bernard Katz and Mel Katz's membership to Adath Israel Congregation. Included are records of various Adath Israel committees that the two participated in, including the Finance and Budget Committee, Think Tank Committee, School Committee, Scholarship Committee, Religious Committee, and Adult Education Committee. The accession also includes letters to congregants, financial statements, and several miscellaneous publications produced by the congregation.
Name Access
Adath Israel Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-3
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
1 DVD
Date
1921 - [ca. 1948]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of one scanned document (the birth certificate of Jacob Offstein) and four digital images of family photographs taken during the 1940s.
Custodial History
The photographs and certificate were scanned by the donor and were sent to us on a DVD.
Administrative History
Jacob Offstein (b. 1871) was born in Minsk, Russia. He married Gussie meyer in 1898. He came to Canada around 1904 and settled in St. Catharines, Ontario. He sent for his wife and three kids in 1908. They had several more children after that time. Their offspring included: David (b. 1899), Edward (b. 1900), Harry (Bunny) (b. 1902), Bertha (b. 1908), Hattie (b. 1910), Norman (b. 1914), Michael and Samuel (b. 1917). Unfortunately, their youngest died in 1918, due to what was described in the death certificate as a result of "scalding". The family resided at 11 Queenston Street during the early years where Jacob worked as a junk dealer. The family later moved to 24 Queenston Street where Jacob toiled as a grocer and junk dealer. On 31 August, 1921, Jacob was hit by a street car and perished at the age of 47.
Many of the children remained in Ontario. David married Ida. Harry married Eve. Edward married Edna and they had two daughters: Honey and Dena. Norman and his wife Belle relocated to California after the Second World War. They had two children: Gerald (b. 1941) and Gary (b. 1945). Gerald married Elaine Katz and Gary married Louis Nathanson. Gerald had one son, Norman (b. 1969), whom he named after his father, who passed away in July of 1965 in Los Angeles.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-4
Material Format
moving images
Physical Description
4 film reels (ca. 65 min.) : col. si. ; 8 mm
Date
1952-1967
Scope and Content
Accession consists of film reels that document the Walters family of Toronto. Included is one reel of a family gathering at Niagara Falls and Crystal Beach (1952), two reels of Marshall Walters' Bar Mitzvah (1966), and one reel of Donna Walters' sweet 16 birthday party (1967).
Administrative History
Benjamin Walters was born in Poland in 1922 to Rachael and Max Walters. He immigrated with his family to Toronto, Canada around 1927. His father was a watchmaker and jeweler. Benjamin learned the trade from his father and with his wife Sylvia, operated their own business on Queen Street East called Sunnybrook Credit Jewelers.
Benjamin married Sylvia (nee Midanik) on January 10, 1950. Born in 1926, Sylvia was one of three children born to Sarah (nee Pullen) and Alick “Smokey Joe” Midanik. Alick was a real estate developer on Elizabeth Street.
Together, Benjamin and Sylvia had two children: Donna (b. 8 March 1951) and Marshall (b. 27 March 1953). In his youth, Marshall sold flowers on the streets of downtown Toronto. He died at a young age in a car accident in Africa during his summer vacation from university.
Donna took secretary courses at Seneca College and worked at various law firms until she became a mother. She married Gerald Swartz on November 21, 1976 and they had a son, Mark (b. 6 July 1978), and twin girls, Debra and Shari (b. 21 March 1981). Gerald was an accountant.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-5
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
Date
2000-2007
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the Jewish War Veterans of Canada and its unfinished project to create a book relating to Canadian Jewish servicemen. Included are drafts of the book, correspondence relating to the book, a brochure, a commemorative dinner booklet, a newspaper clipping, and screen shots of the organization's now inactive website.
Administrative History
The Jewish War Veterans of Canada is an organization for Jewish veterans of all wars. The Toronto Post was formed in 1976 and sponsors community events, annual dinners, and assists veterans. Around 2005, the organization had plans to erect a monument at Earl Bales Park and publish a book to commemorate all Jewish veterans; however, the organization fell into financial trouble and this project never came to fruition. The Toronto Post has since undergone a complete change of leadership and continues to operate out of its office at 4600 Bathurst Street.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-6
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
6 cm of textual records (1 vol.)
Date
[ca. 2000]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of a braille Haggadah, in both Hebrew and English text, published by the Jewish Braille Institute of America.
Custodial History
The Haggadah was given to the donor by a blind friend. It was kept by the donor until it was donated to the Archives on 25 August 2010.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-8-7
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 74 cm
Date
20 May 1931
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one panoramic photograph of the opening game of the Jewish Community Softball League.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-20
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-6-20
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
16 photographs : b&w ; 17 x 25 cm or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Date
[ca. 1925]-1937
Scope and Content
Accession consists of 16 copies of photographs of the employees and owners of Gryfe Bakery. Also included is an internet print out of the family/bakery history.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-1
Material Format
object
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
2 objects
3 photographs : b&w and col. (1 negative) ; 10 x 12 cm or smaller
1 folder of textual records
Date
[ca. 1920]-[193-]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of two nursing uniforms worn by Frances Kadish during her career at Mount Sinai Hosptial in Chicago, Ill. The uniforms are made of denim and include a hat, collar and apron. One uniform has a Mount Sinai crest on the sleeve. The photographs include a copy of Frances Kadish in her nursing uniform, possibly a graduation photo, as well as a copy photograph of an original painting of Frances in her uniform, and a third negative of Frances with her husband and two sons in Kirkland Lake, Ontario. The accesion also consists of one composition book from nursing school in Chicago.
Custodial History
The records were in the custory of Sid Kadish, the son of Frances Atkins, until they were donated to the archives on September 3, 2010.
Administrative History
Frances Kadish (nee Atkins) was born in 1903 in Toronto to Henry and Sarah Atkins. She was one of seven children raised on Gerrard Street where her parents owned a candy shop. In the early 1920s, Frances moved to Chicago to attend nursing school at Mount Sinai Hospital. She graduated in the spring of 1927 and that autumn married Hyman "Kay" Kadish in Chicago on 26 September 1927. The couple immediately relocated to Toronto where they were remarried in a traditional Jewish ceremony at the urging of Frances' mother. Frances and Kay had three children: Joseph (b. 17 Aug. 1928, Toronto), Marion (b. 6 Dec. 1929, Hamilton) and Sid (b. 21 June 1934, Kirkland Lake).
Kay went on to work with Thuna herbalists, first in Toronto and then in Hamilton, while Frances briefly worked at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto from late 1927 to 1928. The couple later moved to Kirkland Lake in the early 1930s where they remained until moving to Barrie in the 1960s. Following the death of her husband in 1968, Frances relocated with her son Sid and his family to Guleph in 1971 and then to Burlington in 1984.
Throughout her life, Frances was very active in various hospital ladies' auxiliaries, setting up library carts in both the Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie and St. Joseph's Hospital in Guelph. She passed away on 21 March 1988 in Dundas, Ontario at the age of 85.
Descriptive Notes
Atkins, Frances
Kadish, Frances
Mount Sinai Hospital
Kirkland Lake
Name Access
Kadish, Frances, 1903-1988
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1952
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one binder of meeting minutes and other documentation related to the operation of the Jewish Public Library. The minutes are written or typed in Yiddish.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of Steve Bergson, a former staff member of the Jewish Public Library, until they were donated to the Archives on September 14, 2010.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-9-3
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
11 photographs : b&w and sepia toned ; 20 x 25 cm or smaller
Date
[ca. 1920] - 1959
Scope and Content
Accesssion consists of Dr. Sydney Wise's class photographs from Orde Street School (ca. 1920) and Jarvis Collegiate Institute (1931). Also included is a photograph of the University of Toronto's Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority (ca. 1935), of which Dr. Wise's wife, Mimi Marin, was a member. There are also class photographs of Dr. Wise's children from Holy Blossom Temple's religious school (1957-1959) and a group photograph of the West Prep Orchestra (1957-1958). Finally, accession contains a photograph from the Marin family's New Year's Eve party (ca. 1927). Identified are Max Enkin (seated at the botton right) and Sonia and Joe Marin (seated and standing behind Enkin).
Custodial History
Records were donated by Sydney Wise
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-3
Material Format
moving images
Physical Description
3 videocassettes (ca. 65 min)
Date
1989-1996
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a UJA Federation Operation Exodus campaign video (1993), a UJA Federation Community Matters campaign video (1996), and a Toronto Jewish Congress video documenting a book award night (1989).
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-4
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
ca. 90 cm of textual records
1 scrapbook
ca. 24 photographs : b&w and col. (17 jpg)
Date
[ca. 1907] - 2008
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs and textual material that document Morley Wolfe’s community involvement and personal and professional life. Personal records include photographs of Morley and his family, correspondence with family and friends, his marriage certificate and school diplomas.
Professional records include his curriculum vitae, photographs, reports, correspondence, nomination letters for various awards, such as the Order of Canada, news clippings, certificates and awards, newsletters, event invitations and records documenting his involvement in a court case between the Ontario Deputy Judges Association and the Attorney General of Ontario. Also included are scanned photographs of Morley presenting an award to Rosa Parks (1999), receiving his Ontario Senior Achievement award (2000), and meeting with Jean Chrétien (2001).
Accession also includes one scrapbook documenting Morley's term as national president of BBC. Finally, accession contains records documenting the various appeals filed against BBC by Wolfe, Wilson Heights Lodge No. 1998 and CMOBBC, such as, the appeal notices filed with BBI’s Court of Appeal, correspondence, various BBC constitutions and by-laws, Wilson Heights Lodge executive meeting minutes, CMOBBC newsletters, and news clippings.
Administrative History
Morley S. Wolfe was born in Winnipeg in 1928 to Cecil (b. 1895) and Betty (nee Davidow) Wolfe. He spent his early childhood in various cities in Saskatchewan and Manitoba until moving to Toronto in 1940. Soon after graduating from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1955 he started his own practice as a senior member of the law firm Burt, Burt, Wolfe and Bowman. In 1971 he was appointed Queen’s Council, and from 1973 to 1977 he served as counsel for B’nai Brith Canada. After his retirement from practice in 1993, the Province of Ontario appointed him presiding Justice of the Peace for Ontario and Deputy Judge in Small Claims Court.
His first marriage was to Sandra Newman in 1958 and they had three children together: Leslie, Lee, and Melanie. He later married Joan and became the step-father to her daughter, Erin.
Throughout his life Morley was passionate about fighting prejudice and discrimination and became involved with organizations, such as the Canadian Council of Christians and Jews and the Urban Alliance on Race Relations. He was also a member of the Toronto Police Services Board Committee on Race Relations, served as Chair of the North York Committee on Community, Race and Ethnic Relations, and was appointed to the Canadian Multiculturalism Council. In addition, he was the founding president of Toronto Residents in Partnership (TRIP) from 2003 to 2006.
His involvement extended to Jewish organizations. He served as National President of B’nai Brith Canada (BBC) from 1982 to 1983 and was a founding member of its League for Human Rights. He was also President of BBC’s Toronto Regional Council and Wilson Heights Lodge No. 1998, and of the Jewish Camp Council of Toronto as well as many other organizations.
Morley’s hard work and involvement in the community earned him many awards, including, City of Toronto’s William P. Hubbard Race Relations Award, the YMCA Canada Peace Medal, B’Nai Brith Canada Service Award, and the Province of Ontario’s Senior Achievement Award.
Around 2002, Wilson Heights Lodge No. 1998 began filing a series of appeals with B’nai Brith International (BBI) over concerns that BBC’s national executive was governing undemocratically. Morley played a key role in filing these appeals and was the centre of one appeal filed after BBC censured him without advance notice or the opportunity for a hearing. These appeals were not all successful.
Around 2006, Morley became involved in another appeal against BBC that was filed by a group of members who called themselves the Concerned Members of B’nai Brith Canada (CMOBBC). They alleged that BBC’s national executive had too much centralized power, was not governing transparently, failed to provide members with audited financial statements at multiple annual general meetings (AGMs), passed a constitution that members had defeated at the 2005 AGM, and was threatening and harassing some members. BBI’s appeal court rendered its verdict in 2007 in favour of BBC. Soon after this judgment was made BBC took steps to expel all the members of CMOBBC. In response, Morley resigned from the organization.
Morley currently resides in Brampton.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-2
Material Format
object
Physical Description
2 tallisot
Date
[ca. 1945]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of 2 Tallisot previously owned by the Machzikei B'nai Israel Synaogogue, formerly located at 279 Dovercourt Rd. at Dundas St. West. Each tallis bears a stamp from the synagogue.
Custodial History
The tallisot were used by Ann's [father-in-law?], Nathan Sharpe, who was a founding member of the synagogue.
Administrative History
The Machzikei B'nai Israel Synagogue was first located in a store on Ossington Avenue in the early 1930s. In 1933 they purchased and incorporated a cemetery located on McCowan Road at Eglinton Avenue. In 1935, the congregation moved into the basement of 279 Dovercourt Road and gradually renovated the rest of the building to completion by 1950. In the 1970s, the synaoguge had 93 member families, but dwindling membership in the 1980s forced the Synagogue to close and merge with Shaarei Shomayim.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-6
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
5 photographs : col. and b&w ; 40 x 26 cm or smaller
Date
[ca. 1950]-[ca. 1999]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs, business cards, and a one-page history documenting Norman Sharpe and his department store, which was located on Dundas Street West in the Junction.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-8
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 21 cm
Date
[ca. 1940]
Scope and Content
This accession consists of one photograph of a B'nai Brith dinner held at a local hall in Thunder Bay. The photograph depicts the B'nai Brith members and wives facing the camera, whilst seated at a number of banquet tables.
Custodial History
The item was in the possession of the donor until it was donated to the Archives on October 20, 2010.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-1
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
2 photographs: b & w ; 9 x 14 cm
Date
1922
Scope and Content
The donation includes two photographs that were taken at Gittelmacher's Studio in 1922. The first is a portrait of Leona, Ida and Albert Lenchner from Pittsburgh. The second is a portrait of Albert and Leona Lenchner with their cousin Bernard Segal, who was also from Pittsburgh.
Subjects
Portraits
Places
Pittsburgh (Pa.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-9
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-9
Material Format
sound recording
Physical Description
3 CDs
Date
[ca. 1930]-[ca. 1955]
Scope and Content
The accession includes 3 CDs containing recordings that the donor made of his grandfather and other relatives' cantorial music that was originally on 78 RMP records.
Use Conditions
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-11
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
31 photographs : col. (3 slides) ; 10 x 12 cm and 35 mm
Date
1964, 1976
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records documenting the 1976 amalgamation of the Anshei Lubavitch and Shaarei Tefillah congregations and in particular, the parade of the Torah scrolls. Also included is the contract of merger, and a dues receipt from Anshei Libavitch from 1964.
Custodial History
The album was created by Sam Richardson in 1976 and was in the care of his wife Luba when they were donated to the Archives on October 25, 2010.
Administrative History
The Anshei Lubavitch Synagogue was formed around 1905 and was first located on Centre Avenue in the Ward. It later moved to Denison Avenue where it remained until its merger with Shaarei Tefillah. Alex Richardson was one of the founding members of Anshei Lubavitch. At the time of the merger, Alex's son Sam was one of the executive members.
Descriptive Notes
Related material note: photogrphs #1020-1050 also document the merger ceremonies.
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Anshei Lubavitch
Anshei Libavich
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-12
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
moving images
Physical Description
1 folder of textual recrods
1 videocassette
16 photographs : b&w ; 57 x 20 cm or smaller
Date
1939-1964
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records related to the Montrose Bowling League as well as several softball leagues in the city, including the Lizzies and the E. Baer Fur Supplys (sic) and Associated Furnituver Soft-ball team. Also included is the video of the cornerstone laying at the Temple Anshei Sholom in Hamilton in 1949.
Custodial History
The records belonged to Ben and Sally Robinson, the uncle and aunt of the donor. They were subsequently in the posession of the donor when they were gifted to the Archives on Oct. 26, 2010.
Administrative History
Ben and Sally Robinson were both founding members of the Montrose Bowling League, the first all-Jewish mixed bowling league in the city. The league had an active membership and also organized other social events such as drama groups and general banquets. Ben Robinson was also once involved in several softball leagues in the city, including the Lizzies.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-13
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-13
Material Format
moving images
Physical Description
1 videocassette (ca. 12 minutes)
Date
2000
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one B'nai Brith Youth Organization (BBYO Toronto) tribute video for the 75th anniversary of Aleph Zadik Aleph, B'nai B'rith Girls.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-7
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-7
Material Format
architectural drawing (electronic)
graphic material (electronic)
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
3 compact discs
Date
1976-2008
Scope and Content
This accession consists of three CDs containing 1. The original plans created by Jerome Markson for the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre along with relevant photographs and documents. These records were created between 1976 and 1984 and were digitized in 2007. 2. The mechanical as-builts for the Lipa Green Centre's Family Pavillion, created in 2008. 3. The drawings and specs issued for construction of the Lipa Green Centre's Family Pavillion created in May 2008.
Custodial History
The discs were in the possession of Stephanie Olin Chapman, Facilities Developer for the UJA Federation's Tomorrow Campaign.They were loaned to the Archives for copying and returned on Oct. 28, 2010.
Administrative History
UJA Federation's Tomorrow Campaign is Canada’s largest non-profit community development project. It is Federation's response to the need for new facilities and services brought about by the growth of Toronto’s Jewish community. The Tomorrow Campaign is mandated with the fundraising and creation of three campuses for Jewish life in the GTA. The Downtown District, serving Toronto's growing Jewish population in the city core, is anchored by the new Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre at Bloor & Spadina and the Wolfond Centre for Jewish Campus Life at Harbord & Huron. The new Sherman Campus, on Bathurst north of Sheppard, will include the new Prosserman Family Jewish Community Centre, where the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre is currently located, a new Koffler Centre for the Arts, a new National Centre for Jewish Heritage including the Canadian Jewish Musuem, the Neuberger Holocaust Education Centre and a renovated Lipa Green Building for Jewish Community Services. The Lebovic Jewish Community Campus, at Bathurst & Weldrick north of Rutherford, is designed to provide programs and services for York Region's Jewish community of 60,000 - the fastest growing in Canada. The Lebovic Campus will be highlighted by the Kimel Family Education Centre, housing the northern branch of the Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto (CHAT); the Schwartz-Reisman Centre offering recreational, educational, cultural, social and fitness facilities; community services; a United Synagogue Day School and other schools as well.
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-14
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-10-14
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
15 cm of textual records
ca. 65 photographs : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm or smaller
Date
1989-2008
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records documenting the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto's annual campaigns from 2000 to 2003 as well as the activities of the endowment fund. Included with the endowment fund records are some photographs of the Women's Endowment Fund committee members at various events and seminars. In addition, there is a Koffler Centre of the Arts Artful Dish invitaiton and a Schwartz Reisman Centre program booklet.
Custodial History
The records were transferred to the Archives on Oct. 26, 2010 by Miriam Daniels, administrative assistant for UJA Federation.
Use Conditions
UJA Federation meeting minutes and general correspondence are closed for 10 years from date of creation. Contracts and donor agreements are permanently closed.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-1
Material Format
moving images
Physical Description
1 videocassette (ca. 30 min.) : col., sd.
Date
1987
Scope and Content
Accession consists of one VHS copy of the film "No Greater Honour: A Record of Canadian Jewish Military Service"
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-2
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1942-2010
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a program for a concert put on by Harbord Collegiate Institute's Choral Society and Orchestra (1942), an invitation for Mrs. Sheva Stern (1949), an Israel Histradut Campaign brochure documenting an address delivered by Thomas Douglas at its annual banquet (1954), a copy of the journal Jewish Women's Forum (1995) and an order form for the book Passionate Pioneers (2010).
Descriptive Notes
Language note: English and Yiddish.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-3
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-3
Material Format
graphic material
textual record
object
Physical Description
8 photographs : b&w ; 17 x 12 cm or smaller and other material
Date
[ca. 1940] - 1945
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting Aron Racko's experience serving in the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War. Included are photographs of Aron with bandages and cast after his propellor accident and others taken while he was stationed in British Columbia. Also included is one military general service pin and two military volunteer service medals. Finally, accession includes one letter from a Jewish Chaplain, Isaac Rose, to Aron's mother and photocopies of Aron's discharge papers.
Administrative History
Aron Sidney Racko was born in Ontario in 1922 and grew up in Toronto. He joined the Royal Canadian Air Force in December 1939 as an airplane mechanic. In 1942 he was wounded in a possible antisemitic incident after someone turned on the propellar in an airplane he was servicing in Trenton, ON. As a result, Aron never went overseas.
After the war, Aron initially worked as a taxi cab driver, but soon took up construction work building houses and later entered the real estate industry as a broker. He was a member of the Forest Hill Lions Club. Racko passed away in May 2010.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 1 folder of textual records, 2 medals, and 1 pin.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-4
Material Format
textual record
object
Physical Description
4 cm of textual records
3 t-shirts
Date
2002-2008
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records related to the Board of Jewish Education's Educational Services Committee, the UJA Federation's Strategic Planning Committee, the Latner Library, the Bathurst Jewish Community Centre Board of Directors and the opening of the Pardes Shalom memorial garden. The records primarily consist of meeting minutes and reports. In addition, there are three Ashkenaz festival t-shirts.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-5
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-5
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
10 cm of textual records and other material
Date
[ca. 1957]-1999
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records that document Eugene Winter's activities as a leader in the Hungarian-Jewish community both abroad and in Canada. Included are newsclippings and correspondence featuring Eugene's life story and his nomination and receipt of various medals and awards, an inviation and programme for an Emmanuel Foundation gala dinner honouring Eugene's memory, a letterhead for the Canadian Jewish Federation of Hungarian Descent, photocopied photographs of Eugene speaking at various events, a meeting invitation for the Wallenberg memorial fundraising committee and Eugene's certificate of death. Also included is one Civitas pin, two Jewish War Veterans of Canada pins, Eugene's Ontario Medal for Good Citizenship, Jerusalem medal and Israel medal.
In addition, accession includes a videocassette documenting a Holocaust memorial service at Beth Shalom that had about 2000 Hungarian Jews in attendance (1968), a memorial certificate for Eugene's wife, Maria Winter, and Menorah Jewish News newspapers. Finally, accession contains a photograph of a Rosh Hashanah dinner at the Borochov Centre [ca. 1958] on Lippincott Street. Identified in the photograph from left to right are: Andy Lichtenberg, Henry Schwartz, Henry's wife (?), Bela Heisz (or Bayla Heiss), Peter Heisz (?), Magda Heisz, Shirley Heisz, Edith Lichtenberg and Rena Lichtenberg.
Administrative History
Eugene Winter (1910-1995) was born on December 31, 1910 in Budapest, Hungary. He married his wife, Maria Munczner (1910-1999), in 1932 and together they had two children: Gabriel (1934-2011) and Andy (1946-). During the Second World War he escaped from an enforced labour camp and became invovled in Hungary's Jewish underground resistance against the Nazis. After the war ended, he helped liberate many Hungarian cities from occupation and tracked down several war criminals.
In 1947, Eugene and his family immigrated to Israel where he helped found the town of Bat Shlomo. In 1951, they came to Canada, sponsored by Maria's brother, Frank Dosza. Soon after thier arrival in Canada, Eugene set to work helping other Hungarian Jews settle in Canada. He founded the Canadian Jewish Federation of Hungarian Descent, the Beth Hazichoron Congregation, the Toronto Hakoah Sport, Social and Cultural Club and the Menorah Jewish News. Eugene also served as vice-chairman for a fund-raising committee to build the Wallenberg Memorial Wing at the Regional Negev Hospital in Israel. Eugene passed away in Toronto in 1995.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes 1 photograph, 1 VHS, 4 pins, 3 medals, and 1 medal stand.
Name Access
Winter, Eugene, 1910-1995
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-6
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-6
Material Format
textual record
graphic material
sound recording
Physical Description
ca. 60 cm of textual records and other material
Date
[ca. 1930] - 2002
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records documenting the personal and professional activities of Ben Kayfetz. Personal records include correspondence with family and friends, including letters home while serving overseas, Kayfetz's marriage and high school certificates, Kayfetz's memoirs, tributes and obituaries written about Kayfetz, as well as a portrait of him. Personal records also include audio cassettes of Yiddish music by Toronto musicians Honey Novick and Faye Kellerstein.
Professional records include articles, book reviews and newspaper clippings written by Kayfetz, event invitations, correspondence, lecture notes, and speeches. Professional records also include an Order of Canada membership book and event programme, meeting minutes for various organizations Kayfetz was involved in, such as, the Association for Canadian Jewish Studies, photographs of Kayfetz receiving various awards, and photographs of various Canadian Jewish Congress and B'Nai Zion Club events. Finally, professional records include sound recordings of interviews, lectures given at various events, and the meeting minutes of various organizations, such as, CJC, JCRC and the Yiddish Dialects in Toronto.
Administrative History
Benjamin Gershon Kayfetz was born on December 24, 1916 in Toronto, graduating from the University of Toronto in 1939, with a B.A. in modern languages. Between the years 1941 and 1943, he worked as a high school teacher in Huntsville and Niagara Falls. In 1943, he joined the war effort, working for the Department of National Defense in Postal Censorship and was responsible for reviewing prisoner of war mail. After the war, Kayfetz traveled to British Occupied Germany where he worked as a censor of telecommunications with the Control Commission until 1947. Upon returning to Toronto, he was hired as the National Director of Community Relations by the Canadian Jewish Congress (CJC), and as the Executive (National) Director of the Joint Community Relations Committee (JCRC), a CJC - B'nai B'rith cooperative organization. He also served as the Central Region Executive Director of the CJC between 1973 and 1978. During his tenure, he worked with various churches, unions and minority groups to develop anti-discrimination laws and for the protection of minority and religious rights. Kayfetz was also actively involved in promoting the welfare of Jewish Communities worldwide, and made visits to Cuba in 1962 and 1965, and Russia in 1985, to study and report on the state of these Jewish Communities. After his retirement in 1985, he was awarded the Samuel Bronfman Medal by the Canadian Jewish Congress. In recognition of his efforts to promote Human Rights, he was also awarded the Order of Canada in 1986.
In addition to his professional activities, Kayfetz wrote articles for various Jewish publications under both his own name and the pseudonym, Gershon B. Newman, and gave a weekly radio address on CHIN radio addressing various contemporary Jewish issues. He was also actively involved in the Toronto Jewish Historical Society (serving as its president), Canadian Jewish Historical Society and Yiddish Luncheon Circle. Ben Kayfetz died in 2002 and is survived by his wife Eva.
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes ca. 20 audio cassettes, 1 audio reel, and ca. 25 photographs (4 negatives)
Name Access
Kayfetz, Benjamin, 1916-2002
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-8
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-8
Material Format
multiple media
Physical Description
ca. 30 compact discs and other material
Date
[ca. 2000] - [ca. 2007]
Scope and Content
Accession consists of cassettes, CDs, DVDs and one hard disk that document the activities of the Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario region. Included are recorded meeting minutes for the Community Relations Committee, Public Affairs Committee and the Security Committee, staff portraits, presentation slides, photographs of antisemitic incidents, Congress Contact newsletters, correspondence, and project proposals.
Descriptive Notes
Physical description note: includes ca. 10 DVDs, ca. 45 audio cassettes, and 1 computer disk ; 9 x 9 cm.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-12
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-12
Material Format
textual record
textual record (electronic)
graphic material (electronic)
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
5 photographs (tiff and jpg) : b&w and col.
4 textual records (jpg)
Date
1965-2009
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records relating to the military career of Mikhail Lakrets. Included are five photograhs of Mikhail in uniform, two of which are attached to military documents detailing Mikhail's injury in the line of duty and his military file. Also included is a certificate of disability and a certificate confirming an official statement that he made about 3811 Jews being murdered in the town where his parents grew up. There are also photocopies of several newsclippings and a letter from the Canadian government relating to Russian veterans and social benefits.
Custodial History
The original records are in the possession of the donor. They were loaned to the Archives for copying as part of the Russian Jewish war veteran oral history program. The orignals were returned to the the donor by taxi cab on 22 November 2010.
Administrative History
Mikhail Lakrets was born in Proskurov, Ukraine. He was nineteen years of age when the war began. Lakrets was a private in aviation and reconnaissance and he later graduated from Tank College as a lieutenant. Lakrets was involved in the liberation of Leningrad, Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Hungary. He received many decorations for his involvement in the liberation of these territories, as well as the Order of Patriotic War First Class, the Order of Red Star, two medals for courage and one medal for combat service.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Language note: Records are in Russian.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-11
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-11
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
graphic material
textual record
Physical Description
5 photographs : b&w and sepia (4 tiffs)
1 folder of textual records
Date
1941-2007
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records relating to the military career of Grigory Genin. Included are three photographs of Grigory in uniform as well as two photographs of him with his Soviet troop. Also included are copies of newclippings as well as a poem about his experience written by a friend.
Custodial History
The original records are in the possession of the donor. They were loaned to the Archives for copying as part of the Russian Jewish war veteran oral history program.
The original records were returned to the donor by taxi cab on 22 November 2010.
Administrative History
Grigory Genin was born in Astrakhan, in southwestern Russian and later moved to Moscow. After finishing military high school he enrolled in the Riazan Artillery College on 1 June 1941. Genin was first sent to the front at the age of 18 and participated in the Stalingrad siege. For his military service, Genin received the Order of Patriotic War, the Order of Red Star, as well as several medals for the liberation of various territories and for the storming of Vienna and Budapest.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-13
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-13
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
2010
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records relating to the community openeing of the Pardes Chaim Cemetery. The records include an invitation, a program, a pamphlet for the Pardes Shalom Memorial Garden as well as a speech by Sid Freedman, founder and Honourary Life President of the THMP and one by Bill Draimin, its current President.
Custodial History
The records were in the custody of Howard Mamon, Toronto Hebrew Memorial Park's current Executive Director.
Administrative History
Pardes Chaim Cemetery is the second cemetery established in the Greater Toronto Area by the Toronto Hebrew Memorial Park. The THMP was established in 1972 by Sid Freedman when he gifted property bought in 1970 to the Jewish community for use as the Pardes Shalom Cemetery. Collective ownership by the community which it serves has ensured that the cemetery will never be in danger of abandonement or dereliction. The THMP Board of Directors now governs two cemeteries, Pardes Shalom and Pardes Chaim, which was opened on 10 October 2010.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-14
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-14
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
textual record (electronic)
Physical Description
7 textual records (jpgs)
4 photographs (tiff and jpgs)
Date
1943-1999
Scope and Content
This accession consists of electronic copies of documents and photographs related to Isaak Zarembo's military career. The documents include certificates of disability, illness and participation in the war, a discharge booklet, and two booklets that accompanied his medals. The four photographs are of Isaak in his uniform, two of which are attached to documents.
Custodial History
The originals are in the possession of the donor. They were loaned to the Archives for copying and returned to the donor on 22 November 2010 as part of the Russian Jewish war veteran oral history program.
Administrative History
Isaak Zarembo was born in 1925 in Riga, Latvia. He was 16 years old when the Second World War began and joined the 43 Guards Latvian Division, 1st Attack Army in 1943 at the age of 20. He began as a private but later became a sergeant. He participated in battles of the Central Front in Latvia, on the river Ivekstve. He was wounded twice and was demobilized in 1945 due to his injuries. Zarembo received the Conspicuous Gallantry medal, the Order of Glory 3rd Class medal and the Order of Patriotic War 1st Class medal.
Use Conditions
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-16
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-11-16
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
45 cm of textual records
Date
1970-1997
Scope and Content
This accession consists of records related to Rolf Lederer's role with the Canadian Jewish Congress' Chaplaincy Services Committee, JIAS, and Congregation B'nai Torah. The records include meeting minutes and agendas, correspondence, reports, financial records, bulletins, invitations, and pamphlets, In addition, there is one document that lists the founders of the Jewish Genealogical Society of Toronto.
Custodial History
The records were in the possession of Rolf Lederer until they were donated to the Archives on 22 November 2010.
Administrative History
Dr. Rolf Lederer was born in Hamburg, Germany in 1934. His family immigrated to South Africa in 1936 and Rolf remained there until 1961, earning his medical degree from Cape Town University. After completing his psychiatric training in Edinburgh and Boston, Rolf settled in Toronto in 1968. There he set up private practice as a General Psychiatrist.
After moving to Toronto, Rolf became actively involved in the Jewish community and served on a number of committees. He was on both the local and national board of directors of the Jewish Immigrant Aid Society (JIAS) as well as a number of JIAS sub-committees, including the South African Jewish Association of Canada (SAJAC), the Local Case File Committee and the Management Committee.
From 1985 to 1988 Rolf was chairman of the Canadian Jewish Congress’s (CJC) Chaplaincy Services Committee. He was also a member of other CJC committees; including, the Jewish Cultural Council and the Joint Adult Education Committee. In addition, Rolf co-founded the Jewish Genealogical Society (JGS) in 1985 and served as the society’s president from 1987 to 1991. Finally, he was an active member of B’nai Torah Congregation, serving as secretary and first vice-president in the early 1980s
Use Conditions
Partially closed. Researchers must receive permission from the OJA Director prior to accessing some of the records.
Subjects
Immigrants--Canada
South Africa--Emigration and immigration
Name Access
Lederer, Rolf, 1934-
Source
Archival Accessions
1861 records – page 1 of 38.

Narrow By

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content