Search Results

New Search Photo Search Audiovisual Search
25 records – page 1 of 1.
Part Of
General Wingate Branch 256, Royal Canadian Legion fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 74; Item 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
General Wingate Branch 256, Royal Canadian Legion fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
74
Item
3
Material Format
graphic material
Date
11 Nov. 1934
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w and sepia toned ; 20 x 56 cm or smaller
Scope and Content
Item is a group portrait of World War One veterans standing outside Goel Tzedec Synagogue, also known as the University Avenue Synagogue, for Remembrance Day services of the General Wingate Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. Also included is one copy photograph of the original.
Notes
Formerly photo 6129.
Name Access
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
University Avenue Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Portraits, Group
Remembrance Day (Canada)
Veterans--Canada
Places
University Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1995-2-1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Community Relations Committee series
Anti-Semitism Cases sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 17; Series 5-3; File 245
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Canadian Jewish Congress, Ontario Region fonds
Community Relations Committee series
Anti-Semitism Cases sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
17
Series
5-3
File
245
Material Format
textual record
Date
1938
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of correspondence regarding vandalism at the University Avenue Synagogue.
Notes
Previously processed and cited as part of MG8 S.
Name Access
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Synagogues--Vandalism
Places
University Avenue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
School files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 48; Series 5; File 214
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
School files series
Level
File
Fonds
48
Series
5
File
214
Material Format
textual record
Date
1950-1953
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Name Access
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
School files series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 48; Series 5; File 215
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Board of Jewish Education fonds
School files series
Level
File
Fonds
48
Series
5
File
215
Material Format
textual record
Date
1950-1953
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Name Access
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Mimi Wise fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 16; Item 4
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Mimi Wise fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
16
Item
4
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
Date
[ca. 1940]
Physical Description
1 photograph : b&w (jpg)
Admin History/Bio
Joseph Marin was a founder of the Beach Hebrew Institute and was involved in the Toronto Hebrew Free Loan and Farband.
Scope and Content
This item is an electronic copy photograph of a portrait of Joseph Marin.
Name Access
Beach Hebrew Institute (Toronto, Ont.)
Farband
Toronto Hebrew Free Loan
Subjects
Portraits
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
2006-9-7
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3; File 9
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
Fonds
18
Series
3
File
9
Material Format
graphic material
Date
20 June 1963
Physical Description
3 negatives : b&w ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of images taken at a meeting of the Canada Israel Development Corporation at the Primrose Club. The images depict several men seated at a table, speaking into a microphone, including Mark Levy.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Meetings
Speeches, addresses, etc
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3; File 48
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
Fonds
18
Series
3
File
48
Material Format
graphic material
Date
21 May 1963
Physical Description
2 negatives : b&w ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of two images taken at a State of Israel Bonds meeting at the Primrose Club. The images depict several people seated at a meeting table, as well as a group photograph of three individuals holding State of Israel Bonds certificates.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Meetings
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3; File 50
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Level
File
Fonds
18
Series
3
File
50
Material Format
graphic material
Date
21 June 1966
Physical Description
3 negatives : b&w ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of images taken at a State of Israel Bonds meeting held at the Primrose Club. The images depict speakers at the podium, and an image of the head table. The banner behind the head table reads: celebrate the year of Chai - buy Israel bonds.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Zionist Organization of Canada sub-series
Level
File
ID
Fonds 18; Series 3-5; File 16
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gordon Mendly fonds
Events and organizations series
Zionist Organization of Canada sub-series
Level
File
Fonds
18
Series
3-5
File
16
Material Format
graphic material
Date
8 Dec. 1965
Physical Description
3 negatives : b&w ; 10 x 13 cm
Scope and Content
File consists of images taken at a Zionist Organization of Canada, Central Region meeting held at the Primrose Club. The guest speaker was Leon Dultzin, executive member of the World Zionist Organization. The images depict members of ZOC sitting and standing with Leon Dultzin.
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Repro Restriction
Copyright is held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. Please contact the Archives to obtain permission prior to use.
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
File
ID
Fonds 22; File 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
File
Fonds
22
File
1
Material Format
textual record
Date
1995
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Name Access
Beth Tikvah Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
High Holidays
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
File
ID
Fonds 22; File 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
File
Fonds
22
File
2
Material Format
textual record
Date
1991-1992
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Name Access
Beth Tikvah Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Anniversaries
Synagogues
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
File
ID
Fonds 22; File 15
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Morris Norman collection
Level
File
Fonds
22
File
15
Material Format
textual record
Date
1932
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Name Access
Primrose Club (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Accession Number
1979-11-1
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
1979-11-1
Material Format
text
textual record
graphic material
Physical Description
1 book
8 microfiche sheets
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Date
1889-1917
Scope and Content
Accession consists of records created by Goel Tzedec Congregation. Included are microfiche of minutes and ledgers, a copy of a Seder T'filas Yisroel donated to Goel Tzedec by Chaim Smith in 1917, and a class photograph for the Farband Shule taken in the late 1930s.
Included in the photograph are Hershel Fogle, Rivkah G, Fayge Weingarten, Sarah Gingold, Aaron Hermaub, Shangle Atkin, Lil Newman, Etle Brody, Rochel Blumenshtein, Chava Smith, Sora Zweig, Yaacov Drexler, Malka, Yaacov Rosenzweig, Aaron Shnipper, Klumann, Shore, Aaron Folk and the teachers Fogle, Leah Lander, Shopsai Rappaport, Moishe Rigelhaupt, and Dr. Isaiah Rabinowich
Custodial History
Records were kept by Goel Tzedec and later Beth Tzedec and were donated by the museum on behalf of Dr. Fred Weinberg
Administrative History
Goel Tzedec was established in 1883. It was originally an orthodox congregation founded by a group of recent immigrants from Lithuania. The first synagogue was situated in a room on Richmond and York Streets. Three years later they purchased and remodelled a building on University Avenue at Elm Street that was owned by the Methodist Church. Finally, in 1904 they hired an architect to construct a large building that was perfectly suited to their needs. In February of 1907, the building on University Avenue was dedicated and became the largest synagogue in Toronto, accommodating 1200 congregants.
During the early decades of the twentieth century, Goel Tzedec became more ethnically mixed and established a religious school and women's auxiliary to help raise money and run special events. In 1925, the Congregation joined the Conservative Synagogue Movement and introduced changes to its services.
After the Second World War, Goel Tzedec and its sister synagogue, Beth Hamidrash Hagadol amalgamated in September 1952 to form Beth Tzedec. The two congregations worked together to build a synagogue which was built in the North end of the city on Bathurst and was dedicated 9 December 1955. Rabbi Stuart E. Rosenberg served as Beth Tzedec's first Rabbi and J. Benjamin Friedberg as its Assistant Rabbi. The Chazzan at the time was Cantor Joseph Cooper. The synagogue adhered to the principles of the Conservative Movement and represents the largest synagogue in Toronto
Subjects
Synagogues
Name Access
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-45
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2004-5-45
Material Format
graphic material
Physical Description
1 photograph
Date
1924-1925
Subjects
Societies
Name Access
University of Toronto Menorah Society
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-8-4
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2005-8-4
Material Format
textual record
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Date
1907
Scope and Content
Accession consists of a Goel Tzedec Synagogue seat deed for Harry Yanover, purchased in 1907.
Administrative History
Goel Tzedec was established in 1883. It was originally an orthodox congregation founded by a group of recent immigrants from Lithuania and was first situated in a room at Richmond and York Streets. Three years later a former Methodist church at University Avenue at Elm Street was purchased and remodelled. In 1904 the congregation hired an architect to construct a new building and in February of 1907, the synagogue on University Avenue was dedicated. It became the largest synagogue in Toronto, accomodating 1200 congregants.
During the early decades of the twentieth century, Goel Tzedec became more ethnically mixed and established a religious school and women's auxiliary to help raise money and run special events. In 1925, the congregation joined the Conservative Synagogue Movement and introduced changes to its services.
In September of 1952, Goel Tzedec and its sister synagogue Beth Hamidrash Hagadol, amalgamated to form Beth Tzedec.
Harry Yanover was the grandfather of Rayna Rabin.
Subjects
Synagogues
Religion
Name Access
Yanover, Harry
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-2-2
Source
Archival Accessions
Accession Number
2010-2-2
Material Format
graphic material (electronic)
moving images
Physical Description
87 photographs : col. (jpg)
1 DVD (approx. 10 mins.)
Date
1946-1949, 1980-2009
Scope and Content
Accession consists of photographs of synagogue exteriors, cornerstones, and doorways around Ontario, as well as in the cities of Moncton, Rouyn-Noranda, Saint John, St. John's, Victoria, and Winnipeg. There is one interior shot of the sanctuary of Beth El Synagogue in St. John's, Newfoundland. The accession also contains a DVD with three home movies dated 1946 to 1949. The movies are of a wedding in Goel Tzedec Synagogue in Toronto, a bar mitzvah, and cottage scenes in Beaverton.
Use Conditions
Copyright may not be held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Descriptive Notes
Some jpg files contain two or three images scanned together.
Subjects
Amateur films
Judaism--Customs and practices
Synagogue architecture
Name Access
Beth El Synagogue (St. John's, N.L.)
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Places
Beaverton (Ont.)
Moncton (N.B.)
Rouyn-Noranda (Québec)
Saint John (N.B.)
St. John's (N.L.)
Victoria (B.C.)
Winnipeg (Man.)
Source
Archival Accessions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 99; Item 51
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
99
Item
51
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1978]
Physical Description
1 slide : col. ; 35 mm
Name Access
Beth Midrash Hagadol Synagogue
Beth Tzedec Congregation (Toronto, Ont.)
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Bathurst Street (Toronto, Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-6-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 99; Item 70
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
99
Item
70
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1978]
Physical Description
1 slide : col. ; 35 mm
Name Access
Beth Tikvah Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-6-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 99; Item 71
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
George Morrison fonds
Level
Item
Fonds
99
Item
71
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1978]
Physical Description
1 slide : col. ; 35 mm
Name Access
Beth Tikvah Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Architecture
Synagogues
Repro Restriction
Copyright is not held by the Ontario Jewish Archives. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain permission prior to use.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Accession Number
1980-6-3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
ID
Item 2453
Source
Archival Descriptions
Level
Item
Item
2453
Material Format
graphic material
Date
25 July 1926
Physical Description
2 photographs : b&w (1 negative)
Scope and Content
This photograph shows a group of people at a picnic for the Borochov Branch 124.
Name Access
Farband
Borochov
Trafalgar
Subjects
Picnics
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Related Material
See 1271 for an origianl photograph of this image.
Accession Number
1980-12-2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish clubs, businesses and organizations series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 8; Item 2
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish clubs, businesses and organizations series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
8
Item
2
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1924]
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Girl Scouts were officially founded in 1910 with the establishment of Girl Guides Association in the United Kingdom. They orginated in Britain, but within that same year groups were sprouting up all over the world, including in Canada. The Ontario Council was inaugurated in 1921.
The 69th division was founded on 3 July, 1922. The name was changed several times to: Highland Glen, Humber Highlands, Westwinds, and then Smithfield. The director in 1922 was Lillian Smith. The 69th Toronto Co. met at 254 McCaul St. at the Church of the Redeemer, at Smithfield Public School, and at Clairville Public School. The company shut down on 6 June, 1930 and reopened May 17, 1932.
Name Access
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Girl Guides
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish clubs, businesses and organizations series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 8; Item 1
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish clubs, businesses and organizations series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
8
Item
1
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1924]
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Girl Guides were officially founded in 1910 with the establishment of Girl Guides Association in the United Kingdom. They orginated in Britain, but within that same year groups were sprouting up all over the world, including in Canada. The Ontario Council was inaugurated in 1921.
The 69th division was founded on 3 July, 1922. The name was changed several times to: Highland Glen, Humber Highlands, Westwinds, and then Smithfield. The director in 1922 was Lillian Smith. The 69th Toronto Co. met at 254 McCaul St. at the Church of the Redeemer, at Smithfield Public School, and at Clairville Public School. The company shut down on 6 June, 1930 and reopened May 17, 1932.
Name Access
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Girl Guides
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish clubs, businesses and organizations series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 8; Item 3
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish clubs, businesses and organizations series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
8
Item
3
Material Format
graphic material
Date
[ca. 1924]
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Girl Scouts were officially founded in 1910 with the establishment of Girl Guides Association in the United Kingdom. They orginated in Britain, but within that same year groups were sprouting up all over the world, including in Canada. The Ontario Council was inaugurated in 1921.
The 69th division was founded on 3 July, 1922. The name was changed several times to: Highland Glen, Humber Highlands, Westwinds, and then Smithfield. The director in 1922 was Lillian Smith. The 69th Toronto Co. met at 254 McCaul St. at the Church of the Redeemer, at Smithfield Public School, and at Clairville Public School. The company shut down on 6 June, 1930 and reopened May 17, 1932.
Name Access
Goel Tzedec Synagogue (Toronto, Ont.)
Subjects
Girl Guides
Portraits, Group
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish clubs, businesses and organizations series
Level
Item
ID
Fonds 37; Series 8; Item 6
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Gilbert Studios fonds
Jewish clubs, businesses and organizations series
Level
Item
Fonds
37
Series
8
Item
6
Material Format
graphic material
Date
1917-1918
Physical Description
1 negative : b&w ; 11 x 13 cm
Admin History/Bio
The Menorah Society grew out of the Yiddish Club at the University of Toronto in 1917. The had a semi-official status and superseded most of the other Jewish student groups. Most often they met off campus, but they did have a faculty advisor named Professor W. R. Taylor, who taught Hebrew at University College. Menorah Society was a branch of an intercollegiate Jewish society formed at Harvard in 1906 for the study of Jewish history and culture. In Toronto, they flourished until it was undermined by the Greek-letter fraternities in the late 1920s and in 1931 they dissolved.
Scope and Content
Item is a photograph of the University of Toronto Menorah Society executives for 1917-1918.
Name Access
University of Toronto Menorah Society
Subjects
Portraits, Group
Societies
Repro Restriction
Copyright is in the public domain and permission for use is not required. Please credit the Ontario Jewish Archives as the source of the photograph.
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
File
ID
Fonds 34; File 43
Source
Archival Descriptions
Part Of
Larry Becker collection
Level
File
Fonds
34
File
43
Material Format
textual record
Date
[ca. 1950]
Physical Description
1 folder of textual records
Scope and Content
File consists of blank stationery with Graduate Menorah Society of Toronto letterhead.
Name Access
University of Toronto Menorah Society
Subjects
Societies
Places
Toronto (Ont.)
Source
Archival Descriptions
25 records – page 1 of 1.

Narrow By

Collection Name

Source

Format

Date

Description Level

Subject

Name

Place

Restrictions

Available Digital Content